[DRYH] Fine (17)

edited July 2014 in DRYH
The walk to the Police Department is short, since you're still in the district. The place looks dim and dingy, worn and poorly care for. From the flickering lights to the scummy floors, this place is more like an abandoned asylum than a functioning. The only people here besides those who are being processed or filing complaints are those clockwork coppers. You're led to a front desk, and after filling out three packets of paperwork and paying the hefty fine (or heavy fine, literally), the lieutenant with the handlebar mustache says drily, "You're free to go, Mr. Marks." Lady Thrinia is still with you, sitting on a bench against a wall, bored but quiet.

Comments

• "I need to speak with Officer Tock. I have information about a conspiracy that threatens the Mad City, and the Officer, personally."
  • The lieutenant leads you back into an interrogation room, warning the Blind Knight to stay back, which she does.

This room has the customary one-way mirror you see in Law & Order episodes, a stout metal table bolted to the floor with rounded edges and rings for attaching handcuffs. You aren't handcuffed. The chair is also metal, and very heavy. There are no monitors in here. One door in, which is behind you.

What do you see in the mirror, Benny?
  • I see myself. Bags under my eyes, which might be attractive to a goth vampire-wannabe. Behind me, Mom, Dad, Heather, Eileen, the team, all posed like it's the Last Supper. I sit down in the heavy chair, waiting for my opportunity to explain.
  • After what seems like an eternity (even your family in the reflection gets restless, starts moving around, yawning), the door behind your opens.

In the mirror, you see him. Officer Tock. Standing almost ten feet tall, dressed like some police official with gold on his shoulders, a dark blue uniform, shint black shoes, he looms over you. What's horrific is his head, his face is the face of an actual clock, but like the clock tower, it has thirteen hours, not twelve.

His mouth, which is a slit in the lower third of the clock face, opens, revealing gears and pistons where teeth would be on a person, and he says in a shrill, nasal voice that grates on your nerves, "Well, well, well. What have we here? The hooligan known as Benjamin Marks, aka Benny, aka The Flicker. Murderer of three Needlenoses and suspected murderer of Mother When."

Officer Tock puts a meaty hand on the back of the chair, his knuckles brushing your back, "What brings you. To me?"
  • I flinch when he brushes my skin, but I put on my best, most contrite face. "Officer Tock, I am here to tell you that the Tacks Man has allied himself with the Magnificent Howler to assault the Wax Kingdom. Tacks Man may not know this, but the Howler's intention is to follow through by an attack on you." I summon up my memory of events and show it to Officer Tock as if it was a movie.
    "She is Awake." The Magnificent Howler explains as if it is enough. He steps towards you, his soul-scythe dips low. "Amanda is under my protection. She will unlock the gates of the Wax King so I can bring him to his knees. Once he has fallen, so shall the last two. Then, chaos will reign."
    "He means you. And the Tacks Man. Who is currently allied with the Howler and ready to assault the Wax King's gate. Ignorant of Howler's motives." I wait for a response.
  • Officer Tock walks around to stand on the other side of the table, and glares down at you.

You know Benny, talking face-to-face with Officer Tock like this, trying to reason with a Mad creature of Nightmare? That's Pain Five.
  • Discipline: (Rolled: 3d6. Rolls: 4, 6, 5. Total: 15)
    Exhaustion: (Rolled: 4d6. Rolls: 5, 6, 1, 6. Total: 18)
    Madness: (Rolled: 3d6. Rolls: 4, 2, 3. Total: 9)
  • Pain: (Rolled: 5d6. Rolls: 5, 6, 3, 3, 1. Total: 18)
  • Officer Tock inhales once, air rushing past his copper and iron teeth, only to exhale back out again in a frustrated sigh. "If we do s'pose you aren't lying, Mister Marks. What is your angle for this? What do you get out of a conflict between us all, other than postponing future arrests of your person?"
  • I scrub my face with my hand, massage my eyes. "I don't necessarily want a conflict, but I am involved whether I like it or not. A few reasons for that, Officer. For one, the Magnificent Howler has captured an Awake that I have some responsibility for, and I want to keep her from further harm if I can. For another, the Wax King's realm bears the most immediate threat, and he has been a great help to me in my short time here."
  • That satisfies his curiosity. He steps back, hands clasped behind his massive back. "The Tacks Man and the Howler in league in an illegal assault on the Wax King in hopes of undermining the fair and bureaucratic rule of the Mad City? This. This cannot stand!"

His decision made, he looks back to you, "Come, young Mr. Marks. We need to quell this little mob riot." Outside the interrogation room you hear a great deal of activity. When he opens the door, you see clockwork coppers all filing down the hallway heading towards the exit.
  • I follow, collecting Lady Thrinia on the way. She, and anyone else close enough, can hear the soundtrack I'm imagining for this scene - The Imperial March from Star Wars, of course.