[NU] The Feast [Cl2.2, Th2.3]

edited July 2014 in nupocalypse
Thirds, It's a good thing you're so good at hiding things... After bathing and getting dressed, you stopped back at your hidey hole, and sure enough, someone's been rutting around looking for valuables. It's concerning because everyone in Monroe knows this area is pretty much empty — well, other than you of course — so either somebody new is poking around, or someone's on to your hiding spot. Are you taking anything from your stash? Or are you just checking on it? Do you mingle with people when you show up to the feast?

Clarity, the town decends on your feast pretty quickly once the sun starts to set... At first it's only the people who helped — Roark, Nils, Prim, Putrid, etc — but soon enough scavengers are coming back from their outings, and everyone else starts showing up as well. Hell, it seems Harrow and her brother Foster (the older of the two brothers) are finally back as well... They've got quite the haul on them. Two backpacks and a small wagon full of materials... Building materials. Who are you mingling with when Harrow comes up to find you?

Comments

• edited August 2014
    I'm chatting with Nils about the brewing operation, Roark listening in and contributing enthusiastically. I really love the idea that Monroe might be able to produce a distinctive and desirable product. Hopefully, it will provide another piece to our identity, the way Monroe is seen as a community. I notice Harrow and Foster when they stop by, and I watch Harrow as she shrugs off her pack and starts toward me, leaving Foster at the cart.
  • [Thirds]

Hmph. Obvious. Sloppy. Amateurs. I like to leave an empty suitcase sometimes near a stash. People like suitcases. Mark the spot with a rock or stick something. Easy to tell if someone's digging. The good stuff and those MREs is hidden better. Time to move the little stuff. I got a grocery sack fulla shiny watches. An actual jingle, which is funny. Wrap it up real good. Grab a few other oddments to hide somewhere else. I look round twice more to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious they left or took.

I wonder who been round?

Anxious about this feast. But feast. I'll play wallflower. Try to warm up to folk, maybe someone got requests.
  • edited July 2014
    Thirds, Foster and Corbett meet up with each other when Harrow goes off to chat with Clarity. They're chatting quietly to themselves when they're suddenly joined by a scav you've seen out in the north ruins before – his name is Kite. He just slid up to them and joined the conversation without a fuss. Seems they know each other.

What do you do?

Clarity, Harrow grins confidently when you eye her, and she comes up to you like an old friend. "Hey there. You're Clarity, right? I'm Harrow. A friend of mine told me you was all into collecting weird stuff from before the fall. I got something for ya!"

She reaches into her pack and produces an old, leather bound book labeled The New York State law circa 1789. The pages are thick, and surprisingly well kept. She holds it out for you to take. "What do ya think?"
  • edited July 2014
    [Thirds]

I raise my beer. A wordless hello to Kite. We've worked together and against a few times. Not friends. Not enemies. Like Matildy. I wonder what he's up to with Harrow's bros? I'll listen, sure.
  • edited August 2014
    I take the book carefully from Harrow's hands. Not reverence for it, quite, not yet, but respect. I open it to the title page, flip through at random. Yes, this is special. "I think it's lovely. What do you want for it? And, possibly, the building materials?"
  • Thirds, Kite nods back at you, raising his glass haphazardly, then the trio return to talking. After a while of not quite being able to pick out what they're saying, they decide to go somewhere a little more private — possibly in one of the back alleys on mainstreet. Are you going to follow them?

Clarity, Harrow seems pleased with herself for finding something useful for you. "I got a friend with a buncha shit like that. Loves it. Follows the rules in them books to the letter. I bet he'd like to meet you. You interested?" She smiles wide, albeit with some surprise when you ask what she wants for the building materials. "Uh... Mine? Well, we were plannin' on usin' those to build ourselves a home, or somethin'... Down by the lake." She looks back at the pile of goods. There's a good 2-barter worth of stuff there, and she doesn't really want to sell it. "There's more where that came from, y'know... I know where to get it."
  • edited August 2014
    "I'm grateful for the book, Harrow, and your friend sounds like someone I should meet, for sure. I'd certainly be interested in a trip to where you found those materials, too. I've got a good pair of strong arms, sure I could be a help to you as well as myself."

I'm listening carefully to Harrow, judging her intentions like I do everyone's. I think back on what I said to Cinch before we met Bill and Wisher. "Everyone is a friend you haven't met yet. Unless they're not."

"So, you're planning on staying with us for a while? Getting fond of Monroe, I hope?"

[OOC: Read a person]
  • [Clarity]

Read a Person

(Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 1, 2. Total: 6)
  • edited July 2014
    [Thirds]

Curious. Maybe one of them going through my stuff. Hain't seen Kite in some time. I walk to go get a sandwich. Veer off. Be a little sneaky to get a closer ear. Not too, since they could be talking just chicks.

But just in case. I catch Clarity's eye.
  • Clarity, Harrow smiles at your offer to help out with those building materials. "Cool. We'll be in town for a few days, catch our breath, then we'll probably move out again. I'm sure Foster won't mind the company... I guess you could say we're fond of the place. More so the people, really. We're social birds, y'know? We like a good pow-wow from time to time, and Monroe seems like it's filled with interestin', capable folks. How long've you been here in Monroe?"

Oh yeah — hey Clarity, how could Harrow convince you to be alone and intimate with her? Tonight, preferably.

Thirds, Give me an Act Under Fire to avoid notice.
  • edited August 2014
    I haven't been intimate since I've been Clarity. Not from lack of desire, surely, and Harrow has the sort of attractiveness and attitude that has always stirred me, a sense of danger like eating an overly spicy stew or testing the sharpness of a knife blade against the thumb. No, it's not lack of desire that has kept me from physical intimacy. More a lack of the right person, the right reasons. Harrow could convince me by convincing that she is that person, that sex with her would be more than just satisfying desire, would be part of something bigger. She needn't share my vision, but I would need her to have a vision, with the sex a part of it. I almost hope she will convince me.

"Monroe? Feels like forever, but it's more like a handful of years."
  • Clarity, Nice! Harrow cocks her head for a second, uncertain of you. Most of the guys she's approached in her day are more than happy to just take her when she asks. She gets a different impression from you. "Grome's been holed up about as long... Probly longer... He's big on justice, and the old world and stuff. He's one of the folks that convinced me to help clear out the raiders from the Pough." She smiles, "folks say you've got quite the collection from the old times. I'd love to see it some time."
  • [Act Under Fire, roll+cool.]

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 6, 1. Total: 8)
  • edited August 2014
    "You're more than welcome, Harrow. Things are in disarray at the moment because of the trouble with the roof, but the most important bits are safe. What kind of things interest you?"
  • Clarity, Harrow thinks a moment, not really sure what you have that she might be interested in. "Well," she answers slowly, "I used to be interested in those drugs they used to give to test on soldiers... The stuff that lets you see things that isn't there. Lately though, I've taken interest in older religious books. Some of those people saw some fucked up shit, you know? What've you got?"

Thirds, the trio eventually slip away from the party down into a back alley, and Corbett opens up a locked cellar into one of the abandoned buildings near the bad lots in town. You heard them bar the way behind them, but you know there's a window on the opposite side of the building that you could slip down into... Getting out would be more complicated though, because you know that place has been cleaned out.

What do you do?
  • edited August 2014
    I think about Harrow's interests. Visions and hallucinations. Religion. "Wait for me a minute?" I head back into the library and go quickly to one of the downstairs shelves. I return to Harrow with a hardbound book, in decent shape, and open it to the title page. The Book of Mormon: An account written by the hand of Mormon, upon plates taken from the Plates of Nephi "I think some of this might interest you."
  • edited August 2014
    [Thirds]

Well, I'll go listen at that window, then. Peek through. If I can easy hop back up, I'll slip down.

I got a feeling. Why lock yourself inna basement? Doubt it's a love-in.
  • Clarity, Harrow seems impressed at this gift, almost like she didn't believe your collection was as big as it was rumored. "Neat!" she chirps, flipping through the pages, "Shame I'll hafta get Foster to read it to me... I don't know too many words in writing." She looks up at you, a curious look on her face, "Unless... You could see yourself teachin' me..."

She looks practically giddy at the thought.

Thirds, You hear Kite talking, though it's hard to make out exactly what they're saying... "Grome's getting impatient, boys... His men are paid up and ready to ride. Tell me you found her..."

Then you hear Corbett speak up, "Keep your fuckin' voice down, man... Someone's gunna fuckin' hear. Yeah. We found her..."

Then it goes quiet.

What do you do?
  • edited August 2014
    I try to make sure that the basics don't go away. Reading, for instance.

"Think about this miracle, Harrow," pointing at the book in her hands, "Hundreds of years ago, Joseph Smith wrote down some words that he said came from an angel. Now, I'm not saying that's the miracle, mind you. No way to know if Smith really dug up tablets of gold that had been written on by a real angel, or if he was a huckster, or if he was crazy or what. No, the miracle is this: he wrote those words down and took them to a printer. Once that happened, he didn't have to carry his words himself. The books could do it. Do you see? The books spread out and his ideas spread with them, and a lone man with a crazy story and a few followers became a movement. The books spread out further as that movement traveled West across the country, and the movement became a church. And now, you're holding one in your hands, hundreds of years later, and a dead man can tell you the story that church was built on, try to convince you himself of his supposed truths, from beyond the grave. In some way, when Joseph Smith took that original sheaf of papers to the printer, he became immortal, Harrow. And that's just one miracle out of all the hundreds that are in there." I gesture to the library behind me.

"I'll teach you, Harrow, whenever I'm here and you are. I don't have a religion, but I do believe in miracles, and I believe everyone should be able to share in this one."
    [Thirds]

Who the fuck's Grome? This window open without making noise? I wonder who they after. Rue? Matilly? Cinch?

I look over my shoulder. Anybody watching me?
  • edited August 2014
    Thirds, sure. You can get that window open no problem... The problem is, Putrid just stuck his head around the corner, and he looks confused when he spots you. "Hey man," he calls out, a little drunk, "whatcha doin'? You lose somethin' down there?"

Clarity, Harrow shivers a bit at your story. You can tell that's right up her alley. "That's hot," she say coolly, "I can't wait to have you teach me... Just tell me when and I'll be there with bells on."
    [Thirds]

Cockblocked. I squint a little. Get up, look casual. Fix my zipper. "Lucky bottlecap. Let's get another beer? Always make another." Cheeky grin.
  • edited August 2014
    "If you're still around when we have sunlight tomorrow, Harrow, I'd be happy to start. Understand, though, that it's not like learning to tie a slip-knot or aim a shotgun. It's like..." I think back to what she's said. "...building a place to live. Foundations, floor, walls, roof. If you're ready for that, I'll be here."

I see that glint in her eye and take it for what I think it is, a thirst to learn, to be better.
  • Clarity, Harrow chuckles, and grabs your bicep playfully. You can see a smirk lift the corner of her mouth when she feels your toned arm under your clothes. She looks up at you, eager. "You ain't scarin' me." She gives you a little wink, and takes a small step closer — into your personal space. She certainly wants something from you... It could very well be she wants to better herself, but at the very least she wants to be around you.

She reaches into her pack and pulls out a can of iced tea — sealed and intact. "Wanna drink? I got some rum that goes real nice with these!"

Thirds, Putrid grins wide, comes up beside you and throws his arm around you. "Hells yeah! Les drink!" He pulls you back to the party. He's going to force you to sit and be social with him. You know by the time he finishes, Corbett and Foster will have taken their leave from Kite, and they'll probably have taken the conversation they were having along with them.

So do you let it drop, and go be sociable?
  • edited August 2014
    Well, she's willing, at least. I hope it's willing to learn, in addition to whatever else she has in mind. Either way, I'll sit and have a drink with her. It's been a long day, and rum sounds tasty. "Have you ever heard the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper?"

[OOC: Not necessarily looking to TELL the story... just seemed like a good cutaway for that moment.]
    [Thirds]

Grin. Whoops. A fast look out the corner of my eye. The window. Almost hear something. What would Clarity do? He talks smooth. "Um. Putrid. I gotta poop first." Why do I say these things? Duck out from under his arm. Look apologetic. "Gimme a few, yeah?"
  • Thirds, Putrid looks over at you in silent surprise, "you gotta take a shit? ... Uh, a'right... I should take a piss myself..." With that, he turns back to face the wall of the building, and with one hand propping him up against the wall, and the other fumbling to get his belt off, it would appear he has no reservations about voiding in the presence of others. "I shouldn'a broke the seal, y'know? But fuck it... Heh. More room! ... fer liquor!" Then, as if the thought just now crossed his mind, "Thirds, man... Why don't you come hang with me 'n Prim more often? We stink or somethin?"

Clarity, That seems like a good cutting point. You know she's going to push to sleep with you later, right? As the night progresses, she's going to get closer and closer, laughing more at your jokes, trying to make you feel comfortable. People are in good spirits, in spite of the work they did earlier today. The atmosphere is electric. At one point or another, she slips her arms around your neck and plants a kiss on you.

What do you do?
  • edited August 2014
    Hell, I try, but at my core I'm just a man. Lonely, hurt, scared. I try, but... I've gotten shot twice recently, come up against someone that's going to threaten all I hold dear here in Monroe, even if no-one agrees that we need to act, had my safe place start crumbling...

I kiss her back. Hard. No, fierce. And I take her back into the library with the smell of damp that hasn't yet become mold. Sometimes there's just a pure need that needs filling, and it's been a long time.
  • edited August 2014
    [Thirds]

Crap, now what? I scratch behind my ear. Don't want to look at his junk. Shift my weight from foot to foot. "Um. I dunno? Didn't know you two wanted, er, to? Look, man. Head back and I'll catch up inna few. Kay?"

• Clarity, your kiss frees Harrow, like she's had this pent up energy she didn't want to let go. She answers your ferocity with eagerness, and all but clings to you with passion the whole way back to the library. She's a very animate lover, and she runs her hands all over your body as you enjoy yourselves — and she does enjoy herself — several times.

Clarity, Harrow is holding one over you — exactly what that is, you'll know soon enough. As you scratch each other's itches, you can't help but think about Justice, and due punishment. You can't comprehend what it all means just this moment, because you feel like you're missing the context of it all, but there's something in the back of your head that you just can't shake — penance is due.

So how was it for you?

Thirds, Putrid looks over his shoulder at you, confused, "what? C'mon man, you said we was drinkin'! You know where all the best stuff in the ruins is, and you won't even have a drink with us! I know you, you'll weasel out of it, and go off doin' your own fuckin' thing! Do we fuckin' stink or somethin'?"

OOC: If you want him to leave you alone for a minute, you should probably manipulate him with something.

What do you do?
  • edited August 2014
    My shuddering release hits me like a flood, and like a flood I can feel it eroding my banks, pulling a part of me downstream to wash into the sea. I look at Harrow, this sharp-edged hungry stranger. Her self-satisfied smile as she lies with her head on my shoulder. Her eyes, the look that says she is appeased for now but not content.

Thoughts of justice and retribution chase themselves across my mind and I feel a shudder of presentiment.

OOC: per the Touchstone special move, I have crossed out one of Clarity's advancement options. Specifically one of the "take another Touchstone move" options.
    [Thirds]

I don't roll my eyes. This guy. I step closer. Scowl but not mean. "I said drink. Just fuck off a couple, okay? Um. Look. No hard feelings. Nobody stinks. I'll pick up the next round." He does, though. I gotta get that electric water heater hooked up. I could stand to get paid in a few beers. I don't mind a drink, but I don't like drunk. Plenty of other folk do, though.
  • OOC: *Gasp!* You mean you don't love her?

Clarity, after a few minutes of cuddling, she gets up and starts getting dressed. She's noticeably more quiet... Pretty much all you get out of her before she up and leaves you is, "thanks for the fuck. See you tomorrow, Clarity."

You heading back out to rejoin what's left of the party? Or just going to call it a night?

Thirds, Putrid can take a hint. He narrows his eyes back at you dubiously, and wraps up. "Fine. Geez, you ain't gotta be such an asshole 'bout it. Just wanna fuckin' drink with ya z'all."

He up and leaves you alone just in time for you to get back to the window and hear Foster answer, "don't worry... She'll talk to Clarity. He'll back our play, and your boys'll be outta here with your girl in a week — tops. Justice takes time, yeah?"

There's a long pause before you hear Kite answer, "Yeah, alright... Just get it done, alright? You don't get paid 'til she's in our custody. Grome'll be happy to get this done." There's some clapping, like the sound of a hand against a man's back, and some shuffling of feet.

Sounds like they're coming out. What do you do?
  • edited August 2014
    I don't necessarily want to, but I do. I clean up and head back out to make sure everyone's having a good time, head off any shenanigans before they start. Not making any more speeches or telling any stories, but checking in individually with the folks that have been helpful and interested, in particular. I wonder where Shan is, he was a great help earlier.
    [Thirds]

Putrid. Took like six hints. Who's the asshole, asshole? I wanted to drink with 'em before. Now it's a thing.

Don't like what I'm hearing. Not hearing all of it. Foster's probably talking about Harrow. Gotta keep an eye on Kite. Not sure who Kite wants. I assume Rue. Who could want Capital-J-Justice with sweet Cinch? Grome, Grome... sounds familiar. Dunno. Don't like the notion kidnapping. Or someone stealing shit. Wonder if Rue ever caught Dogshit's thief.

I push off and back, GTFO. Not the time to talk to these guys.

Head back to the party. One beer with Putrid & Prim, gonna tell 'em a dirty joke make things better. Talk to Clarity before night's end.
  • OOC: If you want to chat with Clarity, go ahead and do that here. Otherwise I'll end scene. Cool?
    [Thirds]

Okay, so two beers. They're all right. Didn't realize people think I'm an asshole. Fuck.

Walking a straight line. One foot in front of the other. Arms out for balance. Looking for Clarity. Maybe he knows this Grome, or whatever Harrow's up to. Maybe he has some more of those cookies.
  • edited August 2014
    Thirds, it doesn't take much doing to find me. When you do, I'm making all the usual noises and expressions, listening with that intent look that helps bring people out. But you've been with me under fire, and you can tell something's going on behind the mask. "Thirds! Thanks for your help earlier. Quite a mess."
    [Thirds]

All the cookies were gone.

Nod absently, not really sure. "Welcome?" Would someone not help Clarity?

"Um." I look around, not paranoid but nervous. "There's trouble. You know anyone named Grome?"

I'll take a tortilla. It's warm & tasty. Good salt.
  • edited August 2014
    "Don't know him, Thirds, but, ah... Harrow mentioned him, said he was big on justice and the old times. What sort of trouble is there?"

Seems like all there is, is trouble, sometimes. I flash back to Harrow, her mouth and hands and... I shiver at a sudden flash of cold, like someone just walked over my grave.
    [Thirds]

I scowl. Talk low. "Maybe nothing. But sounded like Kite's paying Corbett and Foster. They wanna kidnap a lady o' Monroe. Grome got a grudge with anyone?" I tilt my head, squint. I pull back one foot up to my butt, stretching. "Harrow trying to play you." Do the other foot.
  • edited August 2014
    Kidnap one of ours? And Grome involved somehow. "Harrow's definitely trying to play me, Thirds." That's a lie. Harrow has played me.

"Thirds, you know what her name meant, back in the day? Harrow? Started off as a farm tool to break up clods of dirt and such. Later times, it was another way of saying 'trouble' or 'distress'. Interesting, how it began as a way to break dirt and ended as a way to break people, isn't it?"
    [Thirds]

"Furrow, I know." I stoop, run two fingers in the dirt. Furrows. "Like a face." I look a worried look. Point to the little post above my nose.

"Who else Grome want to kidnap? Rue? Sweet Cinch?" Can't believe that. I shake my head, dismissing. "I dunno. Definite a she, I heard." Thinking down the Monroe population. "Amy?" I should check on her.

"How's she playing you? Harrow, I mean." I don't like that woman. Damaged goods. I spit in the dirt.
  • edited August 2014
    "If he's connected with Hugo, or wants something to trade, it'll be Rue, for sure. If not, it's anyone's guess. Do you know where Rue is? Cinch? You want to check on Amy?"

I'm tired and sore and struggling with myself, but things sometimes just need doing when they need doing.
    [Thirds]

"Rue's where she wants to be. Cinch, too." More seriously. "Yeh, I'mma check on Amy."

Clarity don't look so hot. "Um. You okay?"
    There is no way that I want to share with Thirds right now. "No. No, I'm not, Thirds."

Then, I walk away, into the night, looking for Rue and Cinch.
    [Thirds]

I nod. Appreciate the honesty. He'll talk when it's right.

I lope off into the night. Check on Amy at least. Rue or Cinch if paths cross.
  • But neither of you will find them... At least, not for a while.

== END SCENE ==