[NU] Do no harm [Ci2.3, Ru2.4]

edited August 2014 in nupocalypse
Cinch, you drove like a bat out of hell into the city, and the miles keep adding up on your odometer. The sun set before you made it to one of the hospitals down south, and the overcast weather isn't helping your vision. It looks like it might rain soon... Tough to say exactly when.

The old Ramapo Valley Surgical Center is the first untouched one you find. The old parking lot is filled with abandoned cars turned into a makeshift wall surrounding the complex – but you can tell it's long since been abandoned by the people who called this place home... An anomaly came through here a few years back – you can tell because the paint boiled off one of the cars – and people had to leave in a hurry. The place has a spooky vibe...

People died here. You can practically feel them watching you... Calling to you... Tempting you with the medicine you know is inside.

What do you do?

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Cinch came up on me as Ize walkin' back t'wards the Bago. I figgered I'd make sure 'e's buried. Didn't wanna do it, so when Cinch offered me a ride, I took it. Fer a few miles, I just sat there kinda quiet.

An 'en, I looked o'er at 'er an asked, "Why're we goin' again? Just fer shits an' giggles er ya got somethin' special ta find?"
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    Rue, walking along the road like I'm meant to find her. She's just what I need, steady under pressure, no fear... and she won't ask too many questions.

"Wanna come die with me?" was how I put it, only explaining once we were on the road. And of course Rue got in without a word. Of course she did.

"Doctor needs meds, doctorin' gear... pills and... all that stuff we ain't got," I've calmed down a little but I'l still intense. Driving in the twilight by now, and although I know the roads well, things can change overnight. "I'm bringin' back what he needs, right? I ain't coming back with nothin' again..."
  • edited August 2014
    "Fair enough." I say. I figger we can get some scrap an meds are good trade. A thought strikes. "Summin hurt? Clare? Thirdie? Robbie?" I sit up alla sudden, like I could do somethin'. Which is dumb as hell, but I don't want 'em hurt.
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    She's right.... and wrong.

"Nobody you'd know, Rue," I look at her out of the corner of my eye. Rue ain't the greatest talker I ever known, but she's quiet even for her.

"You all right?"
  • edited August 2014
    I don't know alotta folks. Cinch gets around. What? You know what I mean. Must be another onea her hunnert er so friends. Don't think she knows what light she brings ta these people.

Cinch asks if I'm alright. I look at 'er fer a long moment afore I say, "Lost a good friend. Anom."
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    That hurts... I slow the Jeep enough to quiet the noise and make it safe enough to look at her.

"I'm sorry..." I she gives it, I keep her eye for a good couple of seconds, long as I dare. I"m not great with sad words. Try not to be...

In the growing darkness of the road it's easy to get lost in thought. The mind wanders... it's good to have someone with me. Even if I suck at saying so.

Why am I doing this? Dragging her out to the city for... damn. We need this. Monroe needs this. Why not now?

Nothing will go wrong.

"Put on some music..." I toss a little hard canvas case to her from the slot in the driver's door. A dozen or two old CD's of seemingly randomg genre. "Makes the trip easier."
  • edited August 2014
    Aint nothin' gonna make the trip easier fer me. I don't say it, but it's true. I flip through the discs till I find one that's all blue, with some words onnit and some girl inna middle. I put the disc inna player and a song comes on:

I'm so tired of playing
    Playing with this bow and arrow
    Gonna give my heart away
    Leave it to the other girls to play
    For I've been a temptress too long

Just...

Give me a reason to love you
    Give me a reason to be a woman
    I just wanna be a woman

From this time, unchained
    We're all looking at a different picture
    Through this new frame of mind
    A thousand flowers could bloom
    Move over and give us some room

Give me a reason to love you
    Give me a reason to be a woman
    I just wanna be a woman

An 'en the music's playin', but I'm just numb to it now. All tore up from 'em words. My eyes are a lil glassy, but I aint gonna cry. Sure, my nose's red as a beet. Dammit.

I just let the song play. Don't say nothin'. Maybe the next one'll be sweet. Maybe.
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    No conversation, just music. I can't help but keep glancing at her, every detail of Rue's face has a story, and most of them sad... we haven't talked that much despite having crashed at her place from time to time. Just seems like we don't talk too deep.

Wish I had the right words.

"Hey..." I finally say quietly, just more than a whisper. "You need to talk about it?"

Why does she make me so nervous.
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch asks me a question, pullin' me outta my own head. I look o'er at 'er. "I think I kilt 'im, Cinch. We were... just bein' friendly, you know?" I figger she knows what I mean. My voice drops a lil, "An 'en, e'erthin' went all wrong. An I woke up aside 'is dead body."
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    Woke up next to...

I can't imagine something like that... that takes me a moment. My breath probably sounds a little bit hard.

"You mean you... you don't know what happened?"

I want to ask who. Do I know him?
  • edited August 2014
    I shake my head. I don't know fer sure. "Cinch, 'bout the only thing I'm good at is killin'. Me an... me an Shan, weze up onna Bago. Somethin' bad wrong happened, an it was just me an 'im. I know it had ta be me that done it."

"...it's what I do." I look back down, at my hands.
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    No, no I can't just say nothing.

I reach out and take her hand, raised slightly as she looks at them. "No... no Rue... you... you do what'cha have to... right?" I squeeze her hand, it feels cold... her skin calloused and rough in places. It surprises me.

I don't let go, and look at her for a second.

"Shan... he was a drifter? Good looking fella..."

Shouldn't have said that... I struggle for the right words.

"I know you, Rue... you don't kill 'less you need to. You wouldn't."
  • edited August 2014
    Sweet Cinch. She's better'n the world deserves. I don't never tell 'er that I cherish the nights she comes 'round. Don't got the words fer it. I aint never had summin like 'er around. Her an Clare.

Yeah, it stings when she says Shan's a handsome fella. 'e was. Was. She tells me I only kill if I need to. I look back up at 'er. Fer a long stretch o' seconds that feel like hours.

"Yer gonna think I lost my mind, Cinch. But Shan..." a noise catches in my throat, an the horror o' it all washes o'er me, and the tears drain outta my face like I seen the blood leak outta summin been shot. "Shan kilt me first."

"He shot me, Cinch." I'm babbling now, an my voice gets high cause o' the cryin', an I hope she can't make no sense o'm my words 'cause I can't stop 'em. "He stuck 'is gun in my mouth an pulled it. An I died, Cinch. I'm some haint."

"Woke up aside 'is dead body. 'e's rotten, been days. I don't know how, nor why. Don't know, Cinch. Aint fair. Better people'n me's dead an gone." I wanna look away again, but I don't. I'm lookin' up at 'er, some fool hope that she won't kick me outta 'er purty jeep an' leave me. I don't wanna be alone, Cinch.
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    I don't really understand. How could I? She can see the confusion in my face as I try to make sense of it.

"It was a dream... Rue... or somethin' like..." I look to the road, glancing at her every couple of words. "You ain't dead, Rue...."

I squeeze her hand and lean over, raising it near my mouth so she can feel my breath on the back of her hand. "You're right here, alive..."

But he ain't... I lower our hands. Damn.
  • edited August 2014
    "I..." I wanna b'lieve 'er. "Guess I am." My hand felt 'er breath. She didn't kick me out. That's good nuff fer now. I offer 'er a smile, like it's enough. I turn 'round an face the road again. I don't let go o' 'er hand. I know she'll need it back soon enough, but I'll take the warmth fer as long as she gives it ta me.
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    I hold her hand long as the road's calm, set there on my leg, or hers if that feels more natural. Guess that doesn't last too long, though... roads never been that easy and once let go it's a little weird taking it again.

I put on some more music, quiet... just loud enough to hear and not drown out outside sounds. Gotta keep sharp.

Let's get this done. Glad I'm not alone.
  • edited August 2014
    As the night closes in 'round us, my hand still on 'er leg like she's some lifeline fer me, I ask 'er, "Cinch? How come yer always so happy?"
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    She gets a little smile-laugh out of me as I glance at her again

"Am I?"

I look out at the road and think for a second, adjust my hands on the wheel.

"Guess someone's gotta..." I put my hand on hers again, "someone's gotta try an' remember that we're lucky to be here at all... you know? I can't save the world but... maybe the people I get to meet... the people I get to know... Maybe I can make things a... a little better... just for them... you know?"

I look down at my lap for a second as I say it.

"That probably sounds stupid," to someone like her... I don't say that last bit.

It's not stupid. No way.
  • edited August 2014
    "Wish I could see the world through yer eyes, Cinch. E'en fer one day." I figger she's seen most o' what I seen. I aint gonna lecture her outta her sight. Wish she'd sell me a paira glasses.
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    Hurts to hear her like this. I forced breath as I sit with my mouth open a moment before saying anything.

"Rue, you.... you're amazing... to me. Do you know that?" I turn in my seat a tiny bit, talking excitedly, "we're driving right now into the city in the middle of the night... the city, Rue. I gotta find somewhere deep... maybe somewhere ain't never been picked clean... you think there's anywhere like that without a reason why?"

I slump down in my seat a bit and shake my head, "all this for a doctor that don't wanna be one and for an old man I just met today..."

Then a little nod which grows a bit as I go on, "but I gotta do this... and now that you're here... I ain't afraid no more. We're gonna do this... you're here... doin' this with me and I don't think you got any more reason to be here than I do."

I lean over and touch her shoulder and the back of her neck, kind of squeezing gently, "so come on... let's make somethin' better than yesterday... you an' me."
  • edited August 2014

I know good an well I aint amazin'. But it sure feels good ta hear her say it. Cinch's got a way 'bout 'er. Kinda like Clare, in 'er own way. Can't believe she's goin' outta 'er way fer a bunch a-holes, prolly won't get nothin' outta it.

"Ya aint afraid 'causea me?" I catch hold o' that, an it feels nice. Like purpose. O' course, I don't think we'll make nothin' much better, but mebbe it'd be nice ta pretend it fer once.

"Alright, Cinch. Let's find some deep dark place inna city filled with Anoms an' a-holes, an drag out a lil miracle. I mean, hell. I could be a frakkin' angel now. Who knows?" Angel o' death, more like. But I aint gonna piss in 'er cornflakes. It'd make me feel bad.
  • Cinch
    She makes me laugh. "You could be, prob'ly best we ever had!"

I turn my attention to the looming dark on black cityscape on the horizon. A deep breath.

This is happening.
  • So back in the moment you both find yourselves outside the old Ramapo Valley Surgical Center. It's old and run down, and the only entrance you can see is a hole in the makeshift wall. You can see some devices from before the fall, neglected and rusting out... People thought they warded off anomalies... Maybe they did, for a while.

Either way, the place is silent – excepting the wind howling down the halls. Rue, you swear you hear familiar voices in there... Who are they? Cinch, how are you going to go about finding these meds?
  • edited August 2014
    I swear on my life I hear Chant an Shan talkin'. Ta each other. They didn't never know each in life, but dammit all if they aint tied up in my frakked up head. Makes me sick, thinkin' o' 'is voice. Too soon, it's too soon fer this mess. I'm sure Cinch sees me pale, but I aint gonna let 'er down.

"Wanna check in 'ere?" I motion at the place. I got Shelly, that helps. Mag, too.
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    I took a moment, parked out of earshot, back among the dead tree trunks just North along the intersection. Get my gun on, this is business.

"Ain't really what I had in mind, but here we are..." first place we ain't recently been through, so it's worth a shot. Dissapointed that it might be occupied.

Rue hesitates, just for a second. Yeah I see it.

I whisper urgently, touching her shoulder. "If you say pass'er up... we get back in the Jeep and hit the next place down, got it?"
    "Naw, Cinch." I tell'er. "I aint gonna back down." I look o'er at 'er. "Ya packin'?" I'm puttin' Mag on my back an tapin' 'er up with Cinch's help.
  • Cinch
    "Yeah," my magnum is on my left hip. Clean and ready, as usual, though it's been... at least two months since I've needed to fire it.

"I didn't plan on findin' a fight out here..." I just quietly add, violence isn't really what i was hoping for. Was hoping for clean pickin' if anything.
    "Neither do they, Cinch." I tell 'er. "But if what we want's worth a shit, then we gotta fight fer it. That's the way the world works, ya know? Don't nobody give nothin' fer free." I pull my shirt down an adjust my vest. "Cept maybe you." I meant that as a compliment. I think.
  • Cinch
    My hand was resting on my gun, but I slowly pull it off and walk along the wall of the place, watching each step, watching for signs of people, or old fights... blood... bullet casings...

And listening. It's quiet out here... if there's someone in there they'll leave signs of their comings and going.

Reading the sitch:
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 3. Total: 10)
  • What's our best way in?
    What should I be on the lookout for?
    Who is the biggest threat?
  • Well Cinch, I'm going to give it to you straight — your best way into that surgical center is in through the front door. The place is small enough that it's pretty obvious where the meds would be kept. The place is decrepit, and rotting from the inside out, and the odds of someone actually being in there is quite low... Well, at least someone living... You should be on the lookout for the spirits that inhabit this place. They'll get inside your head, and make you dawdle. This is bad, because...

The biggest threat in this area is actually just east of you... A little township converted from an old Military outpost, run by a man named Hugo. You're not in his territory, but rumor has it he's been expanding out up north, and claiming land. If he shows up, it won't be with one or two guys... It'll be a truckload of them, well armed, and eager to take a prize.

Best move quickly. Riding like hell in the dead of night? That's bound to attract some attention. You've got some time before whoever it was that heard you riding through here comes and finds you — this is a prime opportunity, really...
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    I look at Rue and nod. Something imperceptible tells me it's time to move in.

"Rue you ok?" She still looks a little pale... but we gotta get moving...

I try to sound confident. "Let's do this," I say quietly, pushing the door open with the palm of a hand and letting it swing wide as I take a step back.

"Oh yeah, this isn't creepy at all..." I say quietly as I peer into the darkness and slowly my eyes begin to adjust.

Into the darkness. I'll go first if she doesn't take the lead... hands free... no gun for now. I'm listening, watching the corners. Ready for serious shit... pharmacy... hospitals always have plenty of signs and maps. Find the pharmacy.
    "I'm fine, Cinch. Stop askin', alright?" I answer 'er, my tone a lil rough. Sometimes, ya gotta snap at folks ya get 'em ta back off. Don't like it, but there ya go.

Shelly's in my hands. I know Cinch aint wantin' no trouble. But Trouble rarely gives a frak if yer lookin' fer it er not. It just happens.

Frak, I am scared. I aint gonna admit it ta Cinch, aint gonna leave her goin' in 'ere. Feels like summin threw cold water on my face, an I keep seein' Shan in e'er corner. Chant's 'round, an I'm sick ta my stomach with worry. Mouth dry. Eyes waterin' a lil. E'er sound's so loud, hell, my own breathin's like hammer blows.

Please, y'all. Don't let Cinch get hurt. Help me find the meds fer 'er. Where's it at?"
    (Opening my brain)
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 3, 6. Total: 11)
  • edited August 2014
    Rue, a familiar voice comes up behind you, it's Shan. "Hurt Cinch? Why the hell would we do that?" You can feel his presence circling you — just out of sight, but certainly not out of mind. The weirdest thing though... You swear you can hear a hint of Jones' voice whispering in unison with Shan's voice — like he's been touched by Jones.

Chant cackles at that, and you feel her bloody hand squeeze your right shoulder. "I like this guy... Where'd you find him?" She lets go though, and you can almost feel Shan pushing her away from you. "Hey!" She screams at him, "Fuck off! This bitch is mine!"

She doesn't dare touch you again though... Instead, Shan comes close behind you, and whispers, "I saw a hospital like this once, out in old Memphis. Nice woman named Summer was running the joint... It's all in the basement, at the end of the north hall there and down the flight of stairs. Your meds are in a locked room down there. Watch your step, yeah?"

Chant cackles again in agreement, "Yeah, watch your step! Hahahaha!"

Hey Rue, who was your first?

Cinch, there are signs on the wall in plastic that have stood the test of time reasonably well... But the problem is, there's no "pharmacy" here — at least, not in the way you'd expect. It looks like this place didn't really have one for the general public. That's not to say they didn't have one, just that it'll take some digging to find. The wind is blowing down the hallway from somewhere unseen, and the ceiling tiles smell of mold and mildew.

There are three halls here: the East/West halls are barricaded with old military gear from before the fall, and are labeled "Emergency", and "Long-term care" respectively. As for the northern hallway, well... It reads "No Admittance", and it looks like some of the hallway has collapsed from water damage. There's a big-ass hole from the basement all the way up to the roof, and beds, and light fixtures, and a whack of other goodies that are hanging from the perimeter of the hole, all the way down.

What do you do?
    I mumble-repeat Shan's words, loud enough fer Cinch ta hear me, "It's all in the basement, at the end o' the north hall an down the stairs. Our meds are in a locked room down there. Watch yer step."
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    I have a little silver mag-light, about as long as my hand, six led's in a circe at one end... I click it on but... nothing. Damn it.

"This place..." I'm growing a little frustrated when Rue suddenly tells me where to go, like out of nowhere.

"What down there?" I turn to the ruined Northern hall with it's gaping black hole. It's not so dark that she can't see how I'm wondering how she knows this. But I ain't gonna question.

"Let's find a way down..." Wish we had some cable or rope or something. The Jeep doesn't have a winch, unfortunately. I add, "Rue you much of a climber?"
    "Dunno what's down 'ere, Cinch. Just know that's where they keep the good shit." I answer, lookin' at 'er. She asks if I'm a climber, I shrug a lil, answerin', "My ole gang, they made me scout fer 'em. back when Ize lil. Ize only eight year old an sneakin' 'round holes an hovels, crawlin' up ta villages ta have a looksee, and climbin' o'er walls an fences, learnin' 'bout barbwire the hard way. I can climb."

Guess I coulda just said yeah.
  • Rue, give me an AUF to get down there safely. Cinch, if you help out, let us know how and roll it.
  • Cinch
    She actually gets me to smile, and wryly answer, "that makes one of us." I tease. I'm not a great climber, really, but I'm not a bad one. Do like to keep my feet on the ground though... do I look like a bird?

I poke around, as I tighten my belt and make sure nothing's gonna get tangled up... and see if I can find any cord or anything to make this less treacherous.. spot her on the way or vice-versa...

Lacking that, just go for it, right?
  • Oops, cross posted. Let's call that helping, ok?
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 1, 4. Total: 6)
    AUF (with Hard, per Battle-hardened)
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 4, 1. Total: 8)

• OOC: Harm roll for Cinch.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 4. Total: 9)
  • edited August 2014
    Rue, you grab on to some of the metal wrapped cables hanging down from the ceiling, and test them to see if they'll hold your weight — which they do, quite handily at first glance, as luck would have it. Then you slowly start shimmying down the cables into the depths of the basement... As you descend, you're surprised at just how high the ceiling in the basement is — it's a good 15 feet to the concrete below, and there are a bunch of old turbines in this room, seemingly rusted to the point of non-operation. There's a big pool of water down here too, at least a foot deep... It smells awful.

You're about 4 feet down when there's a terrible screeching sound that resonates through the cable and the walls around you. Some rubble from the floors above comes tumbling down for you, and some of it looks pretty heavy... You've got to make a choice here: strain the cable by swinging out of the way, and avoid getting whacked by the falling office supplies, or sit tight here and take a hit or two in hopes it won't snap the line — you wouldn't want to stand Cinch, after all.

What do you do?

Cinch, you aren't quite as lucky. It looked like Rue had everything under control as you were spotting her, but when that screeching noise filled the air, it was already too late — you spin your head to look up for falling debris just in time to see a light fixture — one of those stainless steel industrial fluorescent tube ones — come slaming down on your head... Suffer 1-harm AP. It hurts like a bitch, but it doesn't look like it did anything serious. You can brush yourself off and get right back to it.

What do you do?
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    "Aaagh, watch out!" I cry out, hitting the floor as the thing smashes into me. But it's not as bad as it coulda been, and I'm just kinda stunned for a second.

"I'm all right... I'm all right..." I say, shaking my head clear. "Rue?" She's down there with all this crap fallng in.

I get to the edge to see if she's all right.

Guess we'll all find out in a second, huh?
    I hold on tight ta ride it out. Got my armor, just need ta watch my head. Don't wanna screw Cinch.

After, I call up, "I'm good. You alright? Looked like somethin' got ya? Need ta head back ta the jeep?" Anyone else, I'd say, "Wanna GTFO?" But I made a promise with 'er.
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    "Hell, no!" I can't help but check my six as I talk to Rue over the edge of the ruined hall. "We come this far and I been hurt worse..."

Looks like she mighta got the worst of it, too... damn. I'm sorry Rue.

"Is it... is it clear? I'm comin' down..."
    Cinch is bein' tough and I admire her e'en more. "Seems clear, but this shit aint gonna hold up fer long. Shimmy down easy, alright?" I'll look ta get down on solid ground. On one o' them gennies if I can stand solid. Inna water if I can't.
  • edited August 2014
    Hey Rue, who was your first?
    My first? Dunno 'is name. Heze 'bout my age back 'en. Weze low on food, ended up outside the village o' Goshen, an Chalk made me go scoutin'.

I found this trailer out in the middle o' nowhere. A momma an 'er boy. She did the washin' fer most o' the folks, had a few lines up. The kid was playin' in the dirt. I watched 'im fer a good long time. 'e looked so frakkin' happy. I kinda hated 'im. An I also wanted ta talk ta 'im. All twisted up.

Torque got sicka waitin' an came up on me. The boy saw 'im, big old chubby Torque with that big hammer o' 'is. Kid started runnin' ta tell 'is ma. Torque shoved me after 'im, tole me ta kill 'im. I only ever kilt dogs afore, inna pit where they taught me ta fight. Ize quicker, so I ran 'im down. An 'e squealed when I stuck 'im with my sticker. I had ta stab 'im more'n once, but I stopped countin' at a dozen. I saw the life drain outta 'is eyes.

Aint never 'eard 'im talk ta me afore. Seems only folks I'm real close ta come back.
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    Takes me a bit to get it together.... it hurts. Really... couple of breaths to get my nerves settled then I try and climb down. Slow at first, but I probably gain confidence once I'm finally moving... and once I see her down there waiting for me.

"Don't hold up, I'm alright..." glad she's waiting for me.
  • OOC: Harm roll for Rue. 1-harm AP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 2, 6. Total: 9)
  • Not wearing a helmet, Rue? Those metal lamps, and ceiling joists are going to hurt... Take 1-harm AP, and don't worry about getting down... When the debris hit you, your grip slipped a bit, and gravity took care of getting down for you. Fortunately, the water and your armor broke your fall so it didn't get any worse than that.

Once you manage to get back up, call back up to Cinch, you get a good look at the basement. You see signage hanging from the ceiling, pointing towards "lab/bloodwork" and "stock room". This place is dark, but for the light shining down from the hole in the ceiling. You swear the voices here are louder... Or maybe that's the wind and the water.

Cinch, you manage to get down without further incident — it seems Rue brought the building into equilibrium. You're knee deep in water by the time your eyes adjust enough to see the same signage as Rue... It's fucking dark down here, and the howling wind doesn't help.

Eventually you both find your way into the room where they store the meds... There was a shitload of stuff here, most of it is now either underwater, or rotten — but there are some things that seem relatively unspoiled, or that you have to mix for it to work. Really you won't know what you have until you can get some light on the situation... How are you getting this stuff anyway? Do you just wait for your eyes to adjust, and blindly grab at anything that doesn't look (or, more likely, feel) rotten? Or do you go slightly more drastic (like with fire, or something). How long do you spend down there looking?
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    Ok I don't care for this one bit... gives me a little chill when I hit the water... my shoes are gonna be full up, huh? But hey, we deal...

"Stock room?" I gesture towards the hanging sign with one hand, shielding my face from the wind and general discomfort with the other.

"My light's out..." stupid flashlight. And I hafta smile cause of course it is. "you ain't gotta torch handy do ya?"

I'm joking... mostly. But really we need some light.
    "Frakkin' Thirdie'd have a light." I shake my head. "Some ruin runners we turned out ta be. One light betwixt us. We're frakkin' stupid." I start trudgin' through the muck. I figger we can grab whate'er's good fer grabbin'. Mebbe Shan an Chant'll guide me.
  • Cinch
    "Yeah, he would," I set hands on my hips and look around, squinting into the darkness. "Let's figure somethin' out, huh?"

And I want some light, sure.. this place is creepy.

Hey MC, what can we do for light? Lot of junk laying around and I ain't no Robinson but I am good with gadgets... well, more than most.

Maybe there's some alcohol we can set aflame in some gauze? Or better yet a battery left in one of the old emergency lights? Hospitals are full of those things... maybe even set off a strobe?

I'm looking for something like that.
  • Rue, Chant most certainly doesn't, but you swear you can see Shan's shadow against the wall, leading you towards the pharmacy. You can hear him mumbling to himself, like he's trying to remember the way... Slightly more unsettling is the crying and cold discussion of people dying down here. You swear you hear someone casually discussing the results of six gunshot wounds to the torso just down the hall with the sign marked Morgue.

Cinch, this is a hospital, so finding gauze and some sealed, flammable alcohol is most certainly an option — in fact, there should be shelves upon shelves of the stuff in the pharmacy. Most of it would be sealed in water-tight shelving since they need to be sterile to use. Most of the batteries you'd find in here would have discharged a long, long time ago... You'd need to charge them up in order to make use of them, so I'm going to say that's not an option.

OOC: Feel free to chat amongst yourselves as you find 1-barter worth of meds in the ruins here. When you're ready to move on, just mention you're on your way back to the truck, or let me know you need input down here.
  • Cinch
    Yeah, I raid some of those shelves, find somethin' I can make a kind of torch outta... shouldn't take long. I got a lighter at least, bet Rue has one, too.

We find some meds... but I ain't happy, "not enough..." was hoping for more. Runnin' out here like this in the middle of the night.

Have we hit the main pharmacy yet, MC? Doesn't sound like a haul worth riskin' my life for... no offense.
    I'll fish out a lil box o' matches. Got 'em a while back fer some trade. Theyze wrapped in a lil baggie, so long as theyze not all broken, then I can light one atta time fer light. Better'n nothin'.

"Whatcha lookin fer, Cinch?" I ask her, voice hushed. I'm lookin' fer Shan, listenin' fer 'im, too. Makes me feel like pukin', hearin' 'im after seein' 'is body this mornin'. Aint right. Just aint right.
  • That was the main pharmacy, yes. You kids these days... You find a backpack full of meds, and you've got enough jingle to live off of for a month! Back in my day, a backpack full of meds was the minimum expectation when you raided a pharmacy — and back then, people knew what all the drugs did!

Anyway, don't get all upset... I did say this place was flooded, right? If you hit another place like this, you'd probably get about as much. Such is the nature of scav work. Thirds might have led you in a better direction.
  • Cinch
    I clutch the meager bag of meds to my chest, Rue can't see it but the reality of this just hits me.
    "Standin' here... wet to the bone an' I got you all busted up for this..." I hold the bag tighter, "you know what, Rue, I was picturin' us rolling on home with armfulls of everything... make Monroe proud.. save that poor ol'man and plenty to spare..."

Maybe she can sense how upset I am inside, though I'm among the best at hiding it.

"Maybe we oughta... oughta run down to the big city... the island..." petty sure that's an absolutely insane suggestion. "Gotta be more'n this..."

I look up at her, meager firelight dancing in my eyes. I need her to say something... like I want her to tell me it's ok.
    Well shit, Cinch. Ya can't up an give up on me down 'ere. Mebbe I can figger ya out.

Readin' Cinch:
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 6, 3. Total: 10)

(+1 XP)
    Well, hell, Cinch! I guess yer an open book er whate'er.

The fire onna match Ize holdin' burns my fingers, an I make a hiss as I toss it ta the water. I'm inna dark when I ask, "Cinch, darlin'," I pull out a match, lookin' fer a place ta strike it. "Way I see it... it aint just this ole frakker's got ya runnin' round, izzit? Seriously, how come ya wanna do this? What're ya really feelin'?"

I find a good place onna concrete wall and reach o'er ta strike up the match. My face is lit when I tell ya, "I aint lookin' fer a chink in yer armor. I'm lookin fer a way ta help ya up." ...shit, did I just say that? Frakkin' Cinch's contagious.
  • Cinch
    Maybe not so good at hidin' it after all.

She surprises me, askin' about it all personal.

"You are helping me, right?" I look past her into the gloom. "But... look if nobody can make things better it's only gonna get worse..." I let out a puff of breath, little bit of frustration. I turn away, looking towards the collapse we climbed down.

"Let's think about gettin' out of here..."

What am I really feeling: Helpless. Like I gotta hope things are gonna be ok, that I'm not lying to myself when I say I can make a difference. But it's hard to see sometimes, the little things I do are swallowed up by this whole world of hurting. Do I really matter?

• edited August 2014
    "Yeah. We oughta head on up." I tell 'er. Start movin' on o'er ta find some handholds an all.

"Cinch," I tell 'er, quiet, not lookin'. I'm lookin' fer a way out, don't got time ta lookit 'er. "E'en if this ole feller up an dies, don't mean what we get aint worth nothin'. I mean, shit. Ize thinkin' bout dyin' myself afore ya drove up. An ya offered me a chance ta go do it. 'Member?" I chuckle, 'cause she up an lied ta me. So far.

"Well, I aint dead yet. An we aint done yet. So, let's head to the Island, see what we see?" I start workin' ta climb up. As I'm gettin' a hand hold, I ask o'er my shoulder, "How could I get ya to come round more? Ta the church? Stay... ya know, around." I hope she don't think I mean frakkin'. She's cute an all, I just don't think o' 'er like that. Well... not when I'm sober.
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    We walk up the hall together, feet slogging through the wet, "ain't killed ya yet... you calling me a liar?" I crack a smile and glance at her. "But the island... yeah that oughta take care of it real easy..."

The island... Manhattan island, you know? That's what I mean if you don't follow. Heart of the biggest city in the world they say... once was. Find an old university hospital... medical center. Something. Dangerous? Yes.

"Get me to come round? Rue, hell all you gotta do is let me know I'm welcome..." I look up the dimly lit shaft, finding a place to put my hands, my feet.

And this trip. That probably helps, too.
    I'm gettin' up on onea them gennies, and reachin' fer a handhold. "Cinch. Yer a breath o' fresh air. Far as I'm concerned, yer always welcome. Always. Just.. you know, don't tell nobody I said so. 'Cause I gotta rep ta protect."
  • edited August 2014
    Cinch
    "Breath of fresh air, huh?" I wait for her to climb ahead, offering a boost of a foot as she lifts herself up. "You don't worry about your 'rep none... think anyone'll believe Rue an' Cinch hang out after hours? They'll just think I'm droppin' names."

Rue is a big deal around Monroe. Me... maybe I'm known, but I'm not a big deal.

Let's get out of here.
    I chuckle at Cinch's joke as she boosts me up. I get up outta the hole an turn round on my belly ta offer her a hand up, "C'mon, Cinch, grab hold, an let's get on."
  • Cinch
    I reach up to take her hand, scrambling up through the junk. Careful not to drop the back of stuff we've found.

Guess it's back to the car... I walk out of the place quietly, watching corners... never let down your guard near the end of the job.
    The Island, huh?" I ask 'er. I figger she's gotta work this outta 'er system, so I'm with 'er. "Aint ne'er been 'ere. What's it like?"