[NOVA] Slicing Lucidus (M 2.3, K 2.4)

edited August 2014 in NOVA

Mei, Dinah is more than happy to work on a little slicing with you. She and Zoo are a little spooked by the lack of information going in, so she works with a extra zeal.

You're in the Crew Lounge, and Dinah's got her gear spread out. "I could do most of this from my tablet, but I like to have a real keyboard when I'm doing anything serious. Just helps me get in the zone."

Giana Prime is problematic for comms, in general. You remember a thing from some history class or another, about the early days of rail travel. Every company had tracks set at different distances... "gauges," you think they were called. This meant that one company's trains couldn't run on another company's tracks, until they got together and standardized. Giana Prime's Nexus has an entirely different gauge than the Polity's, a different set of protocols and handshakes and security procedures. Dinah curses more than once, with increasing creativity.

Finally, she whoops in triumph. "So... what are we looking for?"

Comments

[Taban Mei]

The lounge is comfortable, so I'm dressed so. A light ranked shirt, pants with plenty of pockets, and bare feet. "I work a little faster on a tablet, but I can make use of a mechanical setup. I knew a fellow in Academy, Nelson, he would only use tablets. He had six set up one day." I hold up my one tablet and point to it with my stylus, half-shrug.

I watch her work. She's skilled. I recognize some of the tricks she uses, but not even one in three. And can she curse! I shake my head in amazement at the string of anatomically improbable things coming out of her mouth. Smiling a little, I tease, "Don't forget to breathe, Lourdes!"

But finally, she's in their Cortex. I lean forward, eager to see the data structures.

"Let's start with the basics. Anything published by Lucidus about themselves. Then we can move on to pubic fora and competitor's rumors before delving into the darknets. Sounds good?" I start taking notes, mapping out a plan. I'm fully expecting another good plan of attack. And I am not thinking of the status of the soundproofing in our berth.
  • You can easily piggyback through the connection Dinah has set up, so the two of you can work in tandem. Now that she's passed the initial obstacle, she settles down into a rhythm, sending page after page to the large displays in the lounge.

Engrossed in your own searches, you don't even look at Dinah's results. Your first hit, the Lucidus corporate site, is they typical buzzword blah blah blah.

Lucidus strives to serve patients by transforming the promise of science and biotechnology into therapies that have the power to restore health or even save lives. In everything we do, we aim to fulfill our mission to serve patients. And every step of the way, we are guided by the values that define us.

You find a bio of Dr. Jax Yu that is full of the same sort of PR-department nothing, although one fact does strike you as interesting enough that you wonder why Csorba didn't mention it. Apparently the first Doctorate of his string was received from Ares Interplanetary University on Mars. Doctor of Medicine, cum laude.

The list of Lucidus' products is also standard. Various drugs for some of the more intractable cancers that are still unsolved problems, several "lifestyle enhancers" that promise vim, vigor and sex appeal to the wealthy. There's one hypercognition drug, which the site makes some fairly extraordinary claims for.

Lucidus is apparently privately held, so there's no public financial due diligence available through the markets or what passes for regulatory agencies on Giana Prime. All the regulatory records for the drugs themselves are sealed behind further governmental defenses.

[Taban Mei]

I glaze over the pablum. AIU is interesting, though, so I work to punch a hole to pull what I can from their bases. Anything from the surrounding city, too. Olympus Mons is a big place; Unitown less so.

"Listen to this, Lourdes. 'MegaCog will enhance nearly every fascinating area of your fabulous mind, making you more perceptive, wiser, more fashionable, and may even offer a glimpse of your future sexual partners!'" I sigh and roll my eyes, while working a few tricks to access a different Cortex. "I'm doing a side trace here. Evidently Dr. Yu has some Mars roots. I'm hoping for more of an insight into the man, it might help us with an offer."
  • Mei, Dinah chuckles at your recitation of MegaCog's claimed benefits. She's still sifting and sorting, muttering about "heuristic algorithms" and "stochastic funnels" or something.

Meanwhile, you dig through the AIU student database. Records from as far back as Yu's must be are stored in an archive server offsite, but you're able to slip through the connection from the Registrar's office and search through. No Jax Yu, but there is a Yu Jia Xiang who was issued an MD 38 years ago, at the age of 24.

You find an address in the U district, an apartment building, apparently, but the trail is so cold.

What do you do?

• edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

"Hmm, this is notable." I tell Dinah about Yu's anglicized name. This touches a chord with me. I don't know my own heritage, yet this man didn't like his enough to merit throwing it away. Vanity? A crime? White people? Blackmail? I muse on this, a dark look below the surface. But I don't let it come to the surface.

"Let's try his natural name on the Giana Cortex. Maybe someone got sloppy. Hmm, emigration records on Mars, too."

While those search rovers build their indices, I'll read some local sources on Giana Prime itself. I don't know how much propaganda we're fed in the Polity. I need facts.
  • Mei, it seems from Giana Prime's local history and other sources that the planet started as something of a Pirate Utopia and grew up into a commerce-first, heavily libertarian and capitalist society. The political structure is loose and laissez-faire, with a fractal structure of councils that repeats from the local level all the way up to the planetary government. This actually matches fairly closely with the little you were able to find in the Polity Nexus.

OOC: Why don't you give me a roll to see how much more you find on Yu and Lucidus. I'll roll the challenge in the next post.

• CHALLENGE:

Basic Situation (3d8): (Rolled: 3d8. Rolls: 7, 2, 1. Total: 10)
    Different Protocols (1d6): (Rolled: 1d6. Rolls: 5. Total: 5)
    Lucidus Chief of Security Olivia Manx (1d10): (Rolled: 1d10. Rolls: 8. Total: 8)

Dinah can give you a d8 to add to your roll.

• edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

All right, Mei, let's see what you can dig up and synthesize out of your data and Lourdes' data. There's bound to be something, right?

Discovery: d10 - The sleuthing has my mind leaping from possibility to possibility.
    Comms: d6 - This Cortex is different from the Polity's, but the underlying principles are the same.
    Plucky: d8 - I know I'm onto something. It's here.
    Dinah: d8 - She's the expert slicer.
    Relationship with Lourdes: d6 - Just two pros working on a problem.
  • Discovery: (Rolled: 1d10. Rolls: 5. Total: 5)
    Comms: (Rolled: 1d6. Rolls: 4. Total: 4)
    Plucky: (Rolled: 1d8. Rolls: 7. Total: 7)
    Dinah: (Rolled: 1d8. Rolls: 4. Total: 4)
    Relationship with Lourdes: (Rolled: 1d6. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)
  • [OOC:7+5=12. And zero ones for you.]
  • [OOC: Spending a Plot Point for to keep a four.]
  • Mei, you and Dinah chase your quarry through a maze of twisty little passages, all alike, until you find yourself in one that actually leads somewhere. Dinah has been alternately cursing and elated, and when it seems clear that you're finally making headway, she lets you take the reins and starts dancing around behind you. "Now we've got you slippery little bastards! Get 'em, Mei! Get 'em right in the ass!"

A few more minutes and you have it. Lucidus, and apparently Yu, are bought and paid for, and the majority owners are the Four Fingers Gang, the alpha dogs of Martian organized crime.

Here's the question behind the answer, Mei. If you could get this in an hour, shipboard, underway, why the hell doesn't Csorba have this information? Or, why didn't he share?

[Taban Mei]

Ah, Lourdes. She's got some salt. But I'm grinning with her as I slide the last of the data defenses away. "Can do, Dinah!" I'm gleeful with the success.

I'm tapping my teeth with the stylus as we read the last pieces of the family tree, and the implications. "I think it's a test, Lourdes. Csorba's certainly not an idiot; he probably has this already. We should tell Church what we're dealing with."

My hand is over the direct page key and I look at her, questioningly, before I push it to summon Church to the lounge.
  • edited August 2014
    Lourdes certainly doesn't stop you. "Hell yeah, you tell him. Actually, why not get the whole crowd in on this? Is there anything in your orders to indicate you can't? I mean, I know Zoo and I don't have the full double-super-secret thing going on."
    [Taban Mei]

I nod, granting her the point. "Maybe we'll get some real answers yet." I thumb the all page. "Attention, AdAstra personnel, please report to the Lounge for briefing, followed by theories and light planning." I deadpan it, but I share a mirthful look with Lourdes.
  • edited August 2014
    Dinah gives you an amused look, Mei. "Ooh! Do you think we should serve snacks, Mei?"
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

I quirk my mouth. Hopefully, I ask, "Are you cooking?"
  • "Ha!" Dinah responds, "I am merely the sous chef and pastry chef, Ensign Mei. I might be able to rustle up some cheese, and grapes, since we're just a few days out. And I do slice potted meat like a pro."

• edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

"I do like grapes," I muse. The display holos are reflected in my eyes as I think about the last dinner they served. I skirt my thoughts away from Gaumata; a moment is enough right now. "Would you mind? I'll pass on the 'meat,' though."
  • Dinah chuckles and heads out of the room to grab some snacks.

Shortly, she's back with a plate loaded with fat red grapes, crackers and blue cheese, just as Dai arrives from the cockpit. "What's up? Ooh, grapes!"

For the next few minutes, as the other three trickle into the lounge, Zoo enjoys a few grapes, lounging on a chair, and swipes a schmear of veiny blue cheese on a cracker.

Finally, the whole cadre is assembled.

Mei, what do you do?

Theories and light planning was odd. I come in, still a bit damp from working out, but I'm looking as professional as possible.

Frak me, grapes and bleu cheese. Dammit, Dinah. I ignore it and have a seat. I'm tempted to ask what's up, but I don't want to steal Mei's thunder.
    [Taban Mei]

I brief the crew, slipping in a crack about MegaCog to lighten the mood. I tell them what we've found about Jax's background on Mars, and Lucidus and the Four Fingers Gang.

"This could go from grey to black if we don't keep our eyes on task." I glance at Csorba, making a little comealong gesture with my hand. Back to everyone, I say, "With all due respect to Mr. Church, I suspect our pockets aren't as deep as the Martian Mob's. We may have better luck finding leverage on Dr. Yu once we make planetfall, but I think we may just resort to a simple extraction." I've made eye contact with Church and Ksenia both just now. I spread my hands, opening it up to the table. "Thoughts?"
    "Ensign Mei, do you mean the Four Fingers?" I say with a little surprise. "That's some big fish. Biggest fish on Mars. Didn't realize they reached out of the solar system." Damn. That's dangerous.
    [Taban Mei]

"Yes, Ensign Cribbage." A ghost of a smile is at my lips, and I feel a little shiver of happiness for her promotion. "It may be simple business, getting out of Polity jurisdiction, but I don't think we'll be that lucky. Can you tell us anything about their actions on Mars?"
  • imageimageimage

"Mr. Csorba, it seems unlikely that this information Ensign Mei and Ms. Lourdes have uncovered was... unknown... to you. What was the point of concealing this from your team?" Church's expression is stern.

Eyes turn to Csorba, cool and impassive in his usual black. "I don't suppose need to know will be sufficient?" When Church clears his throat, Csorba continues. "Psi Corp's only interest is in the drug and the scientist, but they wouldn't need me, when they have you. I am a contractor for the Polity Bureau of Justice. Specifically the Organized Crime Division. I believed that your mission would be less... complicated... if I didn't muddy the waters."

[Taban Mei]

My eyes glitter. "Perhaps, then, we have found the leverage we seek for Dr. Yu. And now, Mr. Csorba- I need to know."
  • Csorba pulls out his tablet with a sigh. "I suppose I might as well give you the rest. Seven years ago, this woman, Mina Desrogiers, was a member of the corps de ballet of the Arcadia Academy of Dance, a rising star. The night before she was to have made her debut as Soloist, she disappeared. Coincidentally, Dubhan Shannon, the man she was having dinner with that night, was found dead the next morning from, ah, lead poisoning. Also coincidentally, Shannon was at the time the capo of the Olympus Mob, and had just contacted one of our agents with the offer of information for protection."

Mina Desrogiers

"Since that time, we have been very interested in speaking with Ms. Desrogiers. As it happens, a Polity diplomat who had followed her career spotted her at a function during recent negotiations on Giana Prime. On the arm of Dr. Yu. I would like to at the very least speak with her. Psi Corps and the Bureau are fellow travellers in this. Hence, me, aboard this ship."

I see the pic on the tablet, and for a second, time freezes. Same eyes, same nose. God, her arms are defined now. It's her! Frak me, it's her.

"That's Lana, Mei." It's all I can get out. I have no idea how she's involved, I lost track of her a lifetime ago. It's Lana.
  • Ksenia, your comment to Mei snaps Csorba's attention to you completely and intensely. "Do you know this woman, Ensign Cribbage?"

Church also leans forward in his chair, steepling his fingers in a familiar listening gesture.

My eyes flick over to Csorba and I forece myself to a more neutral tone. "We were friends. When I grew up on Mars, we ran around the streets as kids. Fell out of touch when I shipped out to the Corps. Been ten cycles, at least." I swallow, "But that's her."
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

That's Lana? She was a dancer? Hm. I see why Ksenia was... Put that thought aside, Mei. Ksenia's with you now. Lana's got bigger boobs, and I unconsciously cross my arms.

I look at Ksenia mildly, listening to what she tells Csorba.
  • Mei, Church notices your gesture and raises an eyebrow thoughtfully.

The elation of discovery, the "thrill of the chase" of the slicing you're done, has been draining from Dinah's face as she listens, and she exchanges a look with the Captain.

Zoo speaks up first. "This... going against the Martian Syndicate? This is crazy, at least for the Stalker Jane. Piss off those guys and they never stop."

Dinah cuts in. "I'm sure our crew and guest have a plan to lessen the risk. Right?" She looks at Church. "Ezekiel, we have a contract, but we also have a relationship. Trust. I... We need to know that the safety of the Jane, as well as Zoo's safety and my own, are included in your equations for these missions. Included non-trivially." The Captain nods in agreement.

Church puts his hands on his thighs as he leans forward to take Zoo and Dinah in with his glance. "Azubah, Dinah, this information is new to me." He gives a severe glance to Csorba. "But we will incorporate it into the plan. Your safety, and that of the Stalker Jane, is high on the list of priorities for any mission, if for no other reason than the investment I have in this project. I think you understand, though, that credits and bottom lines are not my primary concern."

• edited August 2014
    I raise a hand to Dai, palm up, "It's okay, Cap. Church is on our side here." I look around to each of them, "Lana is our in. We can get what we need to snag Yu with her help. I know it. She isn't some thug."
  • Zoo gives you a look, Ksenia, one that says "Thanks for the reassurance," but without sharing in your confidence. "Trust but verify. Isn't that a thing in the military? It had to be said." A little of the tension drains from her and Dinah, though.

Csorba says, "Ensign Cribbage, we'll need to do a full debrief on this Lana, and soon. Do you think there's a chance she'll recognize you, as well?"

"Half of me, sure," I quip to Csorba. I'm thankful that Dai's not pushing the issue. She's right though. I sort of blink my eyes in acceptance of her "trust but verify" point.

I look at Mei, "As for Four Fingers on Mars, Ensign Mei, they started off twenty years ago as the Five Fingers Gang of Block L. They killed off the bosses on their block and climbed up to the point where they ran most of Mars. They lost one in a milind raid, but other than that, they've been smart and lucky on their way up. Now, they're so well-connected that they're hands off. Nobody fraks with The Four on Mars." I look to Csorba, and restate, "Nobody."
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

With a line like that, I can't not. "Good thing we're not on Mars, then." I'll add a friendly smile, but a not-to-be-fucked-with edge.

"Cribbage, do you think we can use your history to get Lana-slash-Mina away from Dr. Yu? I imagine that a controlled debrief would be more productive." Am I a little cool? I'm trying to stay neutral, since Church is eyeing my boobs and Ksenia's ex-flame is coming on board.
    I look back at Mei, she seems odd. Something's wrong with her, I can tell. "Yes, I can do that. We can chat about old times or something..." I look at my right shoulder. "I'll need to take off this." Then I look at Dai and Dinah, "Maybe some hair extensions? I don't want to look, you know, like I'm a military gr-officer."
    [Taban Mei]

I touch my own hair, my face softening a little as I imagine Ksenia with long hair. "Ms. Lourdes, is there a civilian spare arm in the cyberdoc kit?" She can print out some civvie clothes to hide the rest.
  • At your question, Mei, Dinah looks thoughtful. "Sorry, Mei. We have parts to repair K's parts, but not whole parts. Does that make sense? I hope that made sense."

Zoo chuckles. "Boo, we can make you even more beautiful than you are, but there's no way we can make you look 'not military'. Especially once you take a step. Your... cover?... must have some explanation for you being on-planet, right?"

Your cover does include a way to "explain" you, Ksenia, what is it?

[Taban Mei]

I pat Lourdes' arm, she seems to run on when it comes to Ksenia. I know the feeling. "Crystal."

Dai has a good point. "What are our covers?" I pick up the ident package for review. Misty Brown is probably a zerogee pole dancer. I could do that, but really!
    "I'm Monté Dirk." I reply coolly. It's a guy's name. "I'm Gibson Dunkelzahn's companion." I'm not spelling it out. Frak you, Csorba, for this shitty cover.
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

"Misty Brown," I say, shaking my head. "'Heiress.'" I raise an eyebrow at Csorba. "Really?" At least a trid star or pole dancer gets to do something. I am not dyeing my hair blonde.
  • Church and Csorba speak up at the same moment, looking at the two of you. "Hello, darling," they say in unison.

Dinah loses it. Actually falls out of her chair, laughing.

• After a minute or two, everyone calms down. "Apparently I did something to make one of the analysts unhappy when I requested these ID packets. We'll make it work. Fix it if we need to. By the way, I'm Adonis. Adonis Jones."

Mei, he gives you a little bow. "Ms. Brown."

Zoo pipes up. "I'm almost a little disappointed. We're just... us, but with different names, and the Stalker Jane is apparently going to be the Heart of Gold for the duration. Oh, I'm Davida Holtmstrom." Dinah pipes up. "I'm Jackie Lews."

---End Scene---