[NOVA] Dinah (K 2.7)

edited August 2014 in NOVA
imageimage

Ksenia, you have no problem finding Dinah and Zoo in Dinah's quarters, door open. Dinah is sitting on her bunk, clutching the stuffed raccoon that normally sits on a shelf next to an ancient, beat-up wrench. Zoo is talking softly, Dinah listening with a vacant look.

What do you do?

Comments

I hesitate by the door. Am I intruding? Have I assumed our friendship covers this? I don't want to make things worse.

Frak it, I care about Dinah. I'm stepping in the room, clear my throat. "Hey, uh." My mouth dries instantly. This isn't about my worry, it's about helping Dinah. "You okay, Dinah?"
  • Dinah looks at you, and for a moment all you see is remembered fear and misery. She squeezes the raccoon tight as the Captain turns, concern written on her face.

Then Dinah visibly pushes it all down, straightens, relaxes her grip on the stuffed animal. "Ksenia. How was dinner? Are you feeling okay?"

"It was great. I'm fine for now." I answer reflexively. Then, with a tone that comes out heavier than I originally intended, I tell her, "Listen, Dinah. It's never easy, but I'm glad you're here. I don't care about your past. I know who you are. I've got your back, all the way." I glance at Dai, "Both of you. You're my crew. My friends. That's all that matters. If you want to talk, I'll listen. If you want to not talk, I'm still here." I consider adding in some crack about kicking her ass at Tower Defense, but I just want her to know how much she means to me.
  • Ksenia, Dinah meets your eyes, and you see her recognizing the truth of what you say. She opens her mouth, starts to say something, but before the words come out, she crumples. Great gusting sobs shake her like a willow tree in a storm, and tears pour down her cheeks.

Zoo is paralyzed for a moment, looking at her friend and partner, then at you.

What do you do?

• edited August 2014
    I'm walking over to her bunk, reaching for Dai's arm and pulling her in. When I reach her bunk, I fold my left leg under me as I sit, and I pull her in for a hug. I've let go of Dai, but I want it to be clear I hope she's in on this. I mean, maybe it's assumptive, they've known each other longer. But I don't want to crash on their friendship and make her feel excluded.

Plus, she's much softer.

My cyberarm is on Dai's side, just there. My hand rubs at Dinah's back if she'll let me. I'm strong for you, Dinah. I've got you.
  • Zoo follows without hesitation once you start moving toward Dinah. She moves around to the right side of this distraught friend you share, her warm hand touching yours on Dinah's back. For just a moment, unintentionally, your fingers twine as you both express your support.

After some minutes of soothing and little comforting words from you and Zoo, gradually, Dinah's sobs subside. "I'd like a little alone time. I'll be okay, I promise. K, would you tell Mei I'm alright? I wish that hadn't happened, but I know... I know she didn't mean to hurt me. But I'd prefer not to see her for a little. Maybe she could avoid Engineering? I'll be bunked down there for the next few days, until we transition back."

It feels nice, being close. I hadn't realized how much I missed the sensation of touch. I hope it helps Dinah. Yeah, Dai and I hold hands for a little, and I don't flinch. I don't rub her hand or anything more intimate. Sure, it's nice, but that's not why I'm here.

I am still sitting there when Dinah talks, and I nod to her requests. "Sure, Dinah. I'm glad you know Mei would never hurt you on purpose. It'll work out. She won't bother you until after we transition back."
  • Ksenia, you and Dai leave together, respecting Dinah's wishes. She closes the door behind you as you leave.

Zoo gives you a little peck on the check as you part ways. "Thank you, Boo. She really will be okay. Took her nearly a bottle of tequila to tell me about it, the first year we were out on the Jane, though. Having it sprung on her like that... well... She'll be fine. Go talk to Taban."

---END SCENE---