[LB] Table Chatter

edited November 2014 in LadyB
Hola,

This is the thread for all out-of-character talk for game! Players are Andrea, David, Paul, Todd and Whitney. I'm the GM, Rich.

Feel free to introduce yourself to the group. We'll be playing for at least three months.

Discuss rules questions, scene suggestions, schedules or give each other props here.

Comments

• Hello, folks! I'm Andrea! I've played Lady Blackbird once before (a short one-shot) and a handful of play by post games before...which makes me an expert in neither. I know just enough to get into trouble!

I'm located in Minnesota in the USA. Since I live in the middle of nowhere, I spend a lot of time gaming online (especially over VOIP)! I've played in over 60 new-to-me RPGs this year...and at least three times that number of sessions altogether. (I haven't really counted, but I game at least a few times each week.) I've been gaming for about 10 years now... I spend a lot of time being super over-dramatic and flailing about the internet. I'm also really, really bad at these intro things, because I am not a terribly interesting panda!
  • Hey! I'm Paul.

I've been PbP-ing for several months now, but have never played Lady Blackbird. I live in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia, right outside of Washington DC.

I've been roleplaying for a long time - thirty years plus. It's run the gamut for me, from various editions of D&D to Castle Falkenstein to dirty hippy games. Looking forward to getting to play with you folks!
  • Hi, I'm Whitney.

I have only free-form play-by-posted. This is my first PbP with rules, and my first time playing Lady Blackbird.
  • YO. I'm Todd. I live in Bellingham, Wa, just south of Vancouver and north of Seattle. I've never played by post before, but I'm pretty psyched. I love LB, but almost always GM. The only time I ever played I was Naomi, so looking forward to trying a new character. I'm a tiny bit confused after reading all of this how it all works, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.
  • Welcome, all! David didn't get the invite email yesterday for some reason, so I re-sent it.

Todd, don't worry about being new to PBP. Whitney is, too. We will take it nice and slow when we start out, make sure we're all comfy.

I'm super excited to run Lady Blackbird! It's been a couple years since I last ran it, and like you, Todd, I've always run Lady B, never played. It's such a fun little game.

Todd, do you have any specific questions as we gather "the boarding party"?
  • I made it!

I'm David. I live in Orlando, FL--thankfully far away from Disney World. I started playing RPGs with the second edition of D&D. I'm one of those rare people (I guess?) that run and play games about equally.

I've run Lady Blackbird twice and played it once. I was Kale then too, but we had to end the one-shot session early, so I'm excited to give him or her (still deciding on what gender Kale will be) a fair shake. I've played a couple play by post games years ago, but pretty much all of them died before anything exciting happened.

I'm looking forward to Blackbirding it with you folks!
  • edited November 2014
    hey all, would it be easier if we store character sheets on a shared Google spreadsheet doc rather than deal with all the table and html stuff?

I can work one up for y'all.
  • photo farnsworth_zps62c46571.jpg
    You don't need to fret about making PC sheets or posts on the forum!

Andrea (ivorythorns) is helping me make up a Google Spreadsheet that will have everyone's stats and stuff. I don't love the idea of using two different websites for the game, but I honestly think GDocs are better for this than the Vanilla forum.

I hope to have the sheet done by tonight and I'll share it with all of you.
  • While we're waiting for the GM to get the character sheets done, why don't you share a few things about your enjoyment of RPGs?

What's the coolest thing one of your characters did recently? Something that stuck out for you? (yes, if it's an NPC, that's cool)

Share a story of a romance a character had in a game you played in that's stuck with you!
  • After working back and forth with the awesome Andrea, I've got a Lady Blackbird sheet up. The rest of the PCs will be up soon. I shared it with each of your emails.

Here's the linkage
  • Hi there. Just checked out the sheets. They look great.

And, interestingly enough, I think I just talked on the cast about a romance that stuck with me when we had you on: the character I played in our first AW campaign. It was my first full on "in game romance" that was more than just "my character has a significant other and every once and a while they're on camera."
  • Hey, all. I just happened to jump in first on the "live" thread for LB. I'm doing the annoying third-person thing, since I'm playing Snargle and wanted some way to set her apart. If it's too much, let me know, and I'll back it down. Thanks!
  • (Also, I won't normally be posting at this time. Insomnia...)
  • Quick question before I get to work: where do you folks get those nice little character portraits? Do you just do a google search? The sample portrait Rich used and the Snargle image look like they're from the same place.
  • Quick question before I get to work: where do you folks get those nice little character portraits? Do you just do a google search? The sample portrait Rich used and the Snargle image look like they're from the same place.
    Totally a google image search on whatever seems right for the character (I often mentally "cast" an actor to play a character).

Then I use paint.net (free upgrade to Microsoft Paint, super easy to use) to add a name, and reduce the height to 75 pixels. It's normally 250 or so pixels wide, but I'm a little less worried about width, just trying to keep the pic from taking up too much phone real estate for those who are mobile.

If you give me a pic to use for Kale, David, I will happily make a header for you!

• edited November 2014
    Hey, Rich. Could you make a pic for Cyrus with the following image?

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/19/0b/ce/190bceca95212d73444ec1d8667518f3.jpg

photo 190bceca95212d73444ec1d8667518f3_zps693317c4.jpg

Thanks!

Oh, also: is there a way to set it up so I get some kind of notification when things are posted, or not? Did you go over that and I missed it somehow?
  • edited November 2014
    Oh, also: is there a way to set it up so I get some kind of notification when things are posted, or not? Did you go over that and I missed it somehow?
    I just checked with the admin to make sure. You should get an email when there are new posts to a bookmarked thread. You bookmark threads by clicking the empty "star" on the main discussions listing.

EDIT: You'll need to change Preferences by clicking your name at the top of the main page, then click My Preferences. You'll need to check the email selection on the bottom preference:
    "Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions."
  • How's this look for a header for Captain Vance?
    CyrusVanceHeader

(you can quote this and grab the text for the header)
  • http://www.culturadar.com/images/Oliver_1.jpg

Could you make this Kale, please?
    Done:
    KaleArkamHeader
  • http://www.culturadar.com/images/Oliver_1.jpg

Could you make this Kale, please?
    Done:
    KaleArkamHeader
    Amazing, thanks!
  • All good! Thanks.
  • Oh, I guess I should make one D:
  • Rich is ridiculously good at those things!
  • Oh, I guess I should make one D:
    How's this?
    LadyB-galena-
  • Wow, y'all, first posts are delicious! We've got history, flora, jokes. This is going to rock!
  • That's absolutely gorgeous! Galena looks so not-putting-up-with-this!
  • I googled blonde hair gray eyed female and I was like DAT ONE!
  • Good choice -- I approve! Also, I love that font. What is it?
  • edited November 2014
    I wonder what the pirate king looks like :o

(Rolled: 2d6 . Rolls: 5, 5. Total: 10)
  • edited December 2014
  • edited December 2014
  • Good choice -- I approve! Also, I love that font. What is it?
    Glad you dig the font, I asked my wife to look at fonts with me, she chose that one (strongly). It's Edwardian Script ITC.

• Whitney, let me know if I overstepped my bounds with the pearl thing.

I thought it might be interesting down the road. I'm fine with editing that part out if you veto it.
  • Haha, no it's cool :) just as long as she gets her bling back eventually.
  • Haha, no it's cool :) just as long as she gets her bling back eventually.
    That should make an interesting scene ;)
  • Todd, I realize the picture of the brig wasn't clear before, so if you want takebacks on the teleport, or to adjust the target, let me know.
  • Rich, it's not clear to me what the locks on the individual cells are like.
  • Rich, it's not clear to me what the locks on the individual cells are like.
    I'll edit in some more details in the post.

The gist is that they are controlled via toggles and switches in the guard room.
  • edited December 2014
    Andrea, what name does Lady B use for your character? Is her bodyguard still Naomi, or does she have an alias too?
  • Naomi can go by Naomi, unless she's well-known, for some reason! I know she used to be a pit-fighter, but pit-fighters usually have really cool-sounding names...so her name alone probably isn't going to make people go, "Oh, hey, that's obviously Lady B! I can tell, because her bodyguard is Naomi!"

But, with that said, if you want to call her anything else, that's fine too!
  • Ok, just wanted to be sure :)!
  • I think of Naomi as "Miss Wrecking Crew" myself.
  • There you go!
  • So, Rich. Since Snargle has the Secret of Shape Warping, I don't NECESSARILY have to use Goblin/Warp shape for the roll? I can see using Sly and some of those tags... (f'rinstance Crafty, Bluff, maybe Languages, although that's a stretch), instead, especially since she's initially on the other side of the door.
  • If you see Snargle as being able to use the Secret to change into any shape, that works for me. Convincing the guards you're one of them who just happens to be on the other side of the secure door still feels like it needs a roll.
  • Also, folks, don't forget to tell us if I manage to make you chuckle! My Key needs you!
  • Lady Freckles did make me grin quite a bit XD!
  • Lady Freckles did make me grin quite a bit XD!
    Take an XP, Snargle!

• edited November 2014
    A reference of Galena's finger armour, aka: a Blood Pen.
    finger armor

Tried to make the gem into a pearl but it didn't really work out :/ boo.
  • It looks pearly to me.
  • I'm home all day cause I don't wanna go out in the cold D: can we do a Uriah Flint/Natasha refresh scene, please?
  • Guys, sorry I'm not around much today. Back-to-back shows. I'll get a post in for Snargle soon.
  • Yay for the reroll! 5 successes this time.
  • Whoa, I though we were skipping weekends. What a fun surprise :)

One question: Are the cells that share walls separated by just bars or an actual wall (like concrete or metal)? More specifically, can Kale and the ladies see Mary?
  • Whoa, I though we were skipping weekends. What a fun surprise :)

One question: Are the cells that share walls separated by just bars or an actual wall (like concrete or metal)? More specifically, can Kale and the ladies see Mary?
    I think it is awesome if you can see them, so YES!
  • If thats the case, is there room between the bars to shoot lighting at Mary D: she is impeding progress.
  • If thats the case, is there room between the bars to shoot lighting at Mary D: she is impeding progress.
    heheheheh
    of course! lighting through metal bars is smart

If you want to have Lady B fire some lightning to scare her or shut her up, that's 2 successes. If you want to fry her where she stands, then that's 3.
    Please do define what you're going for when you roll.
  • edited November 2014
    Did the rest of us know that Lady BB could shoot lightning--or was that more of a ... shock?
    Sorry, but really, did we?
  • I'm going to ask that in thread.
  • Kale, awww... *puppy eyes*
  • Hey, all. I'm going back to all Snargle always referring to herself as Snargle. It took me a few posts of experimentation to figure it out.
  • I think I'm caught up? Back-to-back-to-back games for me today, so sorry for the delay!
  • edited December 2014
  • edited November 2014
    I'm sorry Naomi XD!
  • Naomi's a big girl -- plus, she probably thought things were getting kind of dull, so this should liven them up a bit! (But she'll still at least LOOK disapproving!)
  • The real question, though, is how best can we make money off this information...

...is there an echo in here?
  • The real question, though, is how best can we make money off this information...

That was an amazing thing!
  • Haha, thought you'd like that.
  • edited December 2014
  • Whitney, am I understanding things correctly that Lady BB cuts at her hand to draw blood which fuels her magic?

Is that how all high born magic works or just hers? I figure Kale's petty magic will be something different, but I think it'd be more fun if they're still related, especially since I see that Kale can buy Channeling with XP. Those two could make the most mismatched teacher-pupil pair sometime in the future, haha.
  • edited December 2014
    Bwa haha the master and the apprentice in an 80's movie montage.

Yeah, I had it in my head that's how their magic works. So, all the tissue damage would kind of be like a badge of honor. She's had the scar for awhile, but it was faint. Just because she called on the clouds, they didn't always listen, and when she was younger, she didn't have the patience to focus. Now she's older, and knows how to channel better.

So to me, the blood awakens the magic, and the words are the instructions.
  • Cool! That's the impression I was getting from your hints. Just wanted to make sure :)
  • Btw, which 2 advances did you pick up?
  • edited November 2014
    The tag, pistol, and Secret of the Sky Song. I'm going to make it story related so that it's not a random gift, and I don't intend to use it until that point comes up.
  • The tag, pistol, and Secret of the Sky Song. I'm going to make it story related so that it's not a random gift, and I don't intend to use it until that point comes up.
    Whoa, that should be interesting :o
  • Just so we're all clear, yes? Snargle succeeded with 5. The guards really believe she's a Sergeant, and she looks enough like one that she should be able to fool others, for a while.
  • edited November 2014
    Sorry, Snargle's 'how high' speech literally made me lol.
  • Just so we're all clear, yes? Snargle succeeded with 5. The guards really believe she's a Sergeant, and she looks enough like one that she should be able to fool others, for a while.
    This is correct. They're fooled unless you guys do something to change things.

Once you get out of the brig, things might change.

• I'm tempted to claim that sleeping prisoner, but I think it'd be way better if he or she were a friend or enemy of a pit fighter.
  • Sorry, Snargle's 'how high' speech literally made me lol.
    Rich, is that another XP for Snargle?
  • Sorry, Snargle's 'how high' speech literally made me lol.
    Rich, is that another XP for Snargle?
    Totes
  • I'm tempted to claim that sleeping prisoner, but I think it'd be way better if he or she were a friend or enemy of a pit fighter.
    Done and done!
  • edited December 2014
  • edited November 2014
    David, what is it that Captain Vance wants Snargle to do? Drop the successful impersonation and join in some ass-kicking?
  • David, what is it that Captain Vance wants Snargle to do? Drop the successful impersonation and join in some ass-kicking?
    Todd's playing the captain (I'm helming Kale), but for what it's worth, that's what I'd guess. Although it might be more fun if Snargle misinterpreted things ;)
  • Rich, would it be possible for Kale to sneak over by the cog's opening in order to get the jump on the first guard that steps out after Cap? (I'm itching to roll some dice, haha.)

If so, I think I'd be looking at Tricky, quick, and dirty-fighting, yes? Tumbler or escape might apply too if I'm really reaching ;)
  • Sorry for mixing my peeps up!
  • Rich, would it be possible for Kale to sneak over by the cog's opening in order to get the jump on the first guard that steps out after Cap? (I'm itching to roll some dice, haha.)

If so, I think I'd be looking at Tricky, quick, and dirty-fighting, yes? Tumbler or escape might apply too if I'm really reaching ;)
    If you want Kale to get up there and jump a guard, that's cool! I'll answer this in the live thread. Tumbler totally words, and hey, you're trying to escape, right?

• Uh oh. Can anyone see my roll results? I might've typed them incorrectly but I don't want to get the cheating message to check ...
  • You didnt finish out the .
    I edited that in. Sorry the roll sucked.
  • edited November 2014
    Ah ha. Thanks. Or maybe I shouldn't really thank you after seeing those results, haha.

But I get my die back for my pool. Woo!

*Edit: Oh, wait. I get two dice back because I failed, right? (So I'll have an 8 dice pool now?)
  • edited December 2014
    Rich, can I try and roll spell casting again to save my future pupil from is failed roll D: