[LB] Birthday Party Surprise (LB Refresh 01)

edited November 2014 in LadyB
Natasha Syri, the great and wondrous Lady Blackbird,

Your Coming of Age celebration birthday party has been a smashing success so far. Nobles from every house came to the party on Ilysium, in the hallowed halls of Blackbird Castle: the dour Ashes, the testy Fireflys, the elusive Nightsongs, the bitter Snows (who know nothing, honestly), the gloomy Twilights, the hardy and jovial Whitethorns. Even the royal colors of purple on blue, the Moonclouds, were represented. You received a rare songbird (Nightsong bred, of course), an ever-changing sculpture of unmelting ice from the Snows, a splendid gown handsewn by the matriarch of the Ashes, a lovely griffon from the Moonclouds, and a number of other exquisite gifts to mark your passage into adulthood. What's your favorite gift, Natasha?

Isobel Firefly convinced you to take a cruise ship off Ilysium to continue the party. Why did you agree? Are you two friends or frenemies? Is she your age? A number of the younger generation of revelers came with you aboard, but very few of your honor guard. Why is that? They're primarily honorary, there's no danger this close to the capital, was it that?

The deck is filled with partying nobles and servants, dancing and drinking and talking as a few musicians play light tunes. What are you doing as this scene begins?

Comments

• edited November 2014
    LadyB-

Gossip. Gossip. Gossip...it was inescapable. I even hear some of the guests gossiping about ME . I snack on exotic fruits and honey cakes as I'm showered with gifts. I'm used to being given extravagant things, so nothing really catches my eye. I do like the sculpture, though.

But my favorite gift, if I had to choose one, was from the Whitethorns. I do not recall their physical gift, but their stories of mischief and humorously undesired circumstances made me laugh, and that was a thing I was not often allowed to do. I listen to them intently, cheeks sore from grinning. That is until Isobel sits next to me. She is only a few years older than me, but she acts as if there is a decade between us. Isobel suggests we take the celebration to the skies. I smile ear to ear, imagining her taking an unfortunate trip overboard, and agree pleasantly.

My father doesn't see the harm in the younger ones having a little fun without a chaperone.

While the cruise ship circles Ilysium, I blatantly ignore the sweet words of potential suitors. It's only a matter of time before I'm married off since I am now a woman. Isobel gladly accepts the compliments in my stead. I play with my mother's pearls as I wander away from my guests, my blood pen clicking against the pommel of my blade as I rest my hand upon it. My father had given me my very own pistol and rapier. I was only allowed to use the ones from his collection until now. It felt exciting to be armed, though it looked sort of awkward with my birthday gown.

It is a shame. I'll probably never be given the opportunity to use them.
  • "Your blade looks quite fetching upon you, milady," A male voice says, a slightly nasal tinge to the tones. He moves to stand near you, on the other side of Lady Isobel. It is none other than Count Carlowe, the upstart merchant who amassed so much coin that he recently bought land and a title from the Emperor.

What is his main trade, Natasha? Are you aware of any ties he has to your house?

Ah, here he is, in a fetching doublet
    Count Carlowe
  • edited November 2014
    LadyB-

I have no idea what trade he is involved in. I only know that his parents were good friends with my mother, and to my father, he was the son he never had.

I would know more about him if what he said didn't slither into one ear and out the other whenever he spoke to me. "...Count Carlowe." I snatch a glass of wine from a guest. I'll need liquor if I am to tolerate a conversation with him.
  • edited November 2014
    CountCarlowe-header
    "How does it feel, being of age now?" Count Carlowe asks with a crooked grin. "You know, your father wishes to have you married soon. Do you have your eyes on a fetching young man yet?"
  • edited November 2014
    LadyB-

I take a slow sip of wine. "I'm sorry, were you saying something?" I hand the glass off to a servant. Too dry.

"I don't know. How does it feel having to see your reflection in the mirror every day?" I bother to give him eye contact. "I'll only marry a man that has bled. You have not a single scar on your body."
  • edited November 2014
    CountCarlowe-header
    Isobel titters at your jibes, and yes, they barb at Carlowe, but he merely narrows his eyes. He takes the glass you handed off and finishes the wine with a gulp, "I believe you'll marry whomever your father deems worthy."

As you're there on the deck speaking with Count Carlowe, you notice there's a roguish young man who is speaking with a Twilight girl He seems to have eyes only for you, though.

Here he is:
  • edited November 2014
    LadyB-

With an open palm, I shove the base of the wineglass upwards to make him to choke on the last few drops before storming off. I stop mid-step when my eyes meet the eyes of the stranger's. I inhale sharply as my gaze wanders to his lips. That boyish smile that promises me we could sneak off into the night and get into all sorts of trouble.

The scar on my hand throbs as my blood suddenly goes wild with carnal desire.

No, none of that!

I shake off the fuzzy feeling before finding a spot to be alone. I tire of this company.
  • Carlowe sputters as he tries not to ruin his clothing with the wine, and Isobel quickly helps him clean up. As much as you may hate her, she actually distracts Carlowe as you approach the stranger.

Now, you know the court, and most of the sycophants who hover around them. This man is a stranger, and he is definitely not on the guest list. In fact, you see him snagging a nice brooch off the Twilight girl while she's laughing at one of his jokes.

You end up finding a private spot near the bow of the ship. There's a figure on the bow, as is customary for these ancient wooden ships that are ensorcelled for flight. What's the figure on the front of this ship, Natasha?
  • edited November 2014
    LadyB-

I go quiet, enjoying the chill in the air while admitting the figurehead of a merwoman, only instead of a fin, she has the tentacles of a Sky Squid. I watch the stranger from afar, tisking at him. It's only a matter of time before one of the few guards aboard the ship notices his thievery.
  • This stranger finishes tucking the brooch away in a pouch and grins when you scold him from afar. He leaves the Twilight girl and makes his way around a small dancing area, grabbing a pair of goblets off a servant's tray and coming up the wooden stairs towards you. You can easily evade his attentions by circling around to the port-side stairs down. Or, you know, you could let him approach you. He's all smiles, his brown eyes full of dark mischief.
  • edited December 2014
    LadyB-

I let him advance.

"I'd like it if you would return the brooch to the young miss. She received that from her elder brother. I would be a poor host if I let my guests leave without what they boarded the ship with."

I do not make it sound like a threat. A stern request, at most. "I don't remember my parents inviting you to my soiree." I return his impish grin with one of my own. "It's my birthday. Did you even bring me a gift?"
  • PirateKingheader
    "The brooch was a gift from her brother?" he asks with a sly grin. "I know about those Twilights, perhaps it was a wedding proposal?" He hands you a goblet and bows with a flourish, "Milady Natasha Syri. I am Uriah Flint. I did bring you a gift. But it is not here on your lovely ship." He rises from the bow, looking at you intently.
  • edited November 2014
    LadyB-

I ignore the improper comment. I have standards when it comes to rude remarks.

"How do you know my name, Uriah Flint?" I swirl the liquid in the goblet, uninterested in drinking it. "My mother taught me not to leave the ship with strangers."
  • PirateKingheader
    Uriah is certainly interested in his goblet, as he takes a swig, "Who doesn't know the name of the most beautiful noble? The birthday girl celebrated by the entire of Ilysium? The wonderful Lady Blackbird is on the lips of the Wild Blue." He grins, musing idly, "I would like Lady Blackbird... upon my lips."
  • edited November 2014
    LadyB-

"Well, well...you can certainly do that without leaving the ship." My smile hints at a warning a poisonous animal might give with its body. "However, if you try and take something from me, I will give you a gift that's not as pleasant as a kiss..."
  • PirateKingheader
    Uriah drains his goblet, steps forward to place it on the ledge and moves within inches of you. "Can I do that... here?" He seems unconcerned with your threatened poison, perhaps enthralled by it.
  • LadyB-

I part my glossed lips ever so slightly, leaning in until there is only a breath between us. My dominant hand curls around the handle of my pistol, finger on the trigger. "It would be rude for the birthday girl to deny you..."

OOC: Her dominant hand is her scarred hand. That tends to be a burden if she needs to cast and THEN use a weapon.
  • PirateKingheader
    With a hungry glare, he closes that last inch for the kiss. His right hand slides up to your cheek, cupping it, thumb playing at your skin, fingers curling by your ear. His lips are soft, his kiss is dangerous.

You know Count Carlowe and Isobel are watching this. Hell, half the ship is probably watching.

Then Uriah Flint slips the brooch into your off-hand, the one not touching the pistol.
  • edited November 2014
    LadyB-

Let them watch. I don't care. I never cared.

His fingertips are rough against my face, but it doesn't bother me. I grin against his lips as I feel the brooch in my hand. "What a good boy..." I delicately brush my tongue against his lips as I break the kiss.
  • PirateKingheader
    Uriah grins his devil's grin, not moving more than an inch from your lips, "You, my lady, are unlike these others. They are all decadent children, but you... you have a spirit of adventure."

You see past him that a pair of guards are making their way up the stairs towards you. They're armed, with ceremonial rapiers that are nonetheless sharp. Are either of them sorcerors?
  • LadyB-

Neither of them are. I can tell because my scar, nor my blood is reacting to them. I take my eyes off the guards, and look back at the handsome young man. "If you took me away, I wouldn't stop you..."
  • PirateKingheader
    "Tell them to leave us alone," he whispers, hovering close to another kiss, but waiting.

"Milady Blackbird." the older guard with a bushy red beard calls ahead. They seem uncertain, but they will move on Uriah in a moment. He doesn't appear to be armed.
  • LadyB-

"There is no need for that, gentleman. This is just one of my dueling instructors." I giggle coquettishly. "You'll have to forgive me. I am a woman, now, after all...I was eager for my first kiss." I play the part of the innocent virgin. That is what is expected of me, anyhow.
  • edited November 2014
    Uriah arches a brow when you mention this was your first kiss. He assumes you're telling the truth, of course. Is it true?

"This man..." the guard asks, still not convinced he should be leaving you alone. "Who is he, milady?"
  • edited November 2014
    LadyB-

I have avoided the kisses of other men up until now, nor have I had a desire to kiss someone until now. Of course, I have seen kissing. I know how it is done.

"Please, could you let me enjoy my birthday?" I look at them with pleading eyes. "It's only a matter of time before I'm another man's wife. Just let me have this day."
  • The red-bearded guard relents, "Please stay abovedecks, milady. So we can best protect you." He and his partner slow head for the stairs to give you some time "alone". But you are far from alone, of course.

PirateKingheader
    Once they are out of earshot, Uriah's mouth is at your ear, kissing and whispering a question, "If you could fly, fly away, little blackbird. Where ever would you go?" His hand moves to cover your hand that sits just over the handle of your pistol.
  • edited November 2014
    LadyB-

I exhale shakily, and swallow hard before answering. "...away from all this. Away from the hearsay, the arranged marriages, and the protocol." My scar starts to ache again, and his touch brings be back to reality for a moment, but only a moment.

My chest rises and falls as my breath becomes more dire. I make a frustrated face as my heart flutters. Why him? Why now? Why did it have to be the day before I lose what freedom I have left? "What do you want of me?"
  • PirateKingheader
    His hand slips from your pistol to your side, fingers playing against the corset strings idly. His lips close on the lobe of your ear, suckling on it for a moment. He pulls back to answer, "I want to take you away from this. I want you to be my queen."
  • --END SCENE--

Now, in a normal Refresh scene, this would allow Lady Blackbird the chance to refresh her Pool or remove a condition (if that were appropriate). However, her Pool is full and she has no conditions, so this was just for fun!