[SWAW] Unwanted Visitors (9)

edited December 2014 in SWAW
After installing the main hyperdrive ten days ago and taking off from Charon's Wall, Leeadra plotted a course out of the Maw Cluster, skirting across the Outer Rim towards the Correlian Way. This was the most direct route, but also took you near some dangerous systems. With Lee, Squall and occasionally Seesk working hard on the back-up hyperdrive, Jojee accomplished a set of jumps wide of Rinn, then Barab I. You came out of hyperspace near Pzob to a small space battle between some Correlian cruisers and a Star Detroyer. How did you make it out of that mess?

The crew has been working long shifts, either flying or repairing the hyperdrive. Hosk has offered to help Lee a couple times. Why did she refuse his offer? Who have you been spending time with?

Jojee took the Libation back into hyperspace, exiting at a point near the desert planet of Tatooine. After a long and stressful trip near dangerous systems, Lee's declared you're all going to set down in Mos Eisley to refuel and stretch your legs. How do you feel about that, Ladro? Who seems the most nervous about this?

Comments

• Ladro Eyes

It's been a busy trip, everyone's working hard. I spend some time in the engine room, mostly handing tools to Lee and Squall and fetching food and caff when needed. It seems wrong to sit on my hands in the shuttle when everyone else is putting in time. Apparently, Hosk feels the same, because he keeps wandering through until Lee finally tells him that sometimes another pair of hands would just be in the way. He grumbles, of course, but goes back do doing the finishing work on his carving.

Fortunately, when we dropped into the middle of the skirmish near Pzob, the participants were too preoccupied with each other to pay much attention to us. We hid behind the hulk of a cruiser that had already been destroyed by the Imperials until Jojee could plot the jump to Tatooine.

Speaking of Tatooine, I'm not thrilled to be here, but it's Squall who seems most nervous. You don't have to go far in Mos Eisley to backslide.
  • edited November 2014
    The landing at the Mos Eisley spaceport is smooth, once Jojee agrees up front to the exchange for docking fees. The port offers minimal service, but "no questions asked".

Once you've landed, you notice the port has a fair amount of Stormtroopers. A new garrison was built recently. Hosk and Jojee are headed to the cantina, Squall is staying on the Libation. Lee's babysitting the ship, you think. Seesk mentions she's looking up an old friend.

Where do you go?
  • Ladro Eyes

I choose not to check in further with Squall. Ze's making the right choice by staying on the ship, and I don't want to seem like I don't trust zir.

I, however, would like to sit with Hosk and Jojee in the Cantina, if they'll have me.
  • edited November 2014
    Ten minutes later, you're saddled up at the bar at Mos Eisley Cantina. The bartender is a gravelly-voiced human in his fifties, unshaven and surly. He wears the traditional off-white cotton robes of the people of Tattoine. The cantina is as you left it, filled with a myriad of alien species, ranging from Rodians and rough-necked Gammoreans to slow but graceful Ithorians. The place is dimly lit and loud, smoke wafting to and fro in the midday heat. It's stifling, just an hour past the region's daily midday nap.

A couple of beings you recognize are here. Kyip Yip the Nautolan is sitting at a booth with a Togruta girl leaning on him. Also, Awwarr, a Wookie from the Gristone Mining Camp on the Gristone asteroid is here. He used to manage a couple warehouses at the camp, handling shipping and security. He has a voicebox that speaks Basic. What was the advice he gave you once that you still think of from time to time?

Hosk buys the first round, and Jojee has already declared she is going to #1 dance and #2 shoot for number 7 on the scale. What about you?
  • Ladro Eyes

I give Kyip Yip a respectful nod, and greet Awwarr with affection. I still remember him saying, "Little Kiffar, easy to keep head down and mouth shut, in life. Easy, but boring. You boring?"

Boys in white around, a hold full of spice worth a few consecutive lifetimes of hard labor, at least, a ship with an as-yet untested backup hyperdrive. It doesn't seem like a good idea to let go tonight.

So, of course, "I don't know about a seven, Jojee. Think I'll stick to a six-point-five." I do like watching Jojee dance.
    Hosk gives you a look like he's with you on taking it easy, "Gonna be an early night for me. A few drinks and back to the shuttle. Too much at stake to get kriffed in a cantina." Hosk rarely, if ever, offers advice.

Jojee frowns comically, then takes a long drink of her bitter ale. She wipes at her mouth with the back of her hand, slams the glass down and proclaims, "I've been pulling fourteens, you sleemos. I need to dance. Ladro will watch over the star pilot, right?" "Fourteens" meaning fourteen straight hours of piloting, which is way more than regs, and enough to string someone out. She looks like she needs it, and you can tell there's no way she's sleeping on the ship tonight.
  • Ladro Eyes

I ponder for a very brief moment. It's in the best interests of all of us for Jojee to release some pressure before the next leg, and so it's in the best interest of all of us for me to step up. "I've got your back, Jojee." I give Hosk a look. "I'll keep it to a three, Hosk. You've got a point."
  • Hosk turns back to the bar, the decision made. He's not about to krif around and lose this shipment. Lots of credits on the line. Jojee grins up at you and orders another. The lights dim for a moment, then come back up, indicating someone's about to play. The conversation and chatter dies down as Droopy the Kitonak takes the stage with a case of his favorite woodwinds. He stands, just like he always did with the Max Rebo Band, and starts playing a complex arrangement. It's a solo instrumental act, but he's a maestro that fills the room. After a couple rounds, Hosk kicks out and Jojee takes your hand.

"C'mon, Ladro," she says as she tries to pull you off the stool, "let's get out there. I want to move!" She grabs her nearly empty glass and drains it, then holds it up like a trophy, slamming it onto the bar again.

You realize that Awwarr is done speaking with the pair of Weequay and has noticed Jojee, which brings his eyes to you. He shakes his head in pity, seeing the girl you have to keep up with.
  • Ladro Eyes

I meet Awwarr's eyes and shrug my agreement as I let Jojee pull me out onto the floor. I am wearing my dancing shoes, because all of my shoes are dancing shoes. Droopy's playing some pretty lively stuff, and Jojee and I attract some attention.
  • Jojee's on fire. She dances in that alluring way she does, lots of touching and playing, drawing eyes. She likes the attention, playing for you as well as the others in the cantina. The Twi'Lek dancer notices her, shifts over to dance near the pair of you. She's lithe, and dances as well as Jojee, perhaps better. You realize this might become a little competitive, as Jojee puts a hand on your chest and does this kind of sultry move until she's dancing her way down your body. She looks over at the Twi'Lek girl with a predatory grin, sort of possessive. That's when the Twi'Lek arches a brow, looking over as if asking permission. What do you do?
  • edited November 2014
    Ladro Eyes

What else can I do? I meet the Twi'Lek's eyes and give her the very slightest of nods. I don't plan on kriffing anybody tonight, but I can have some honest fun. Right?
  • The Twi'Lek girl, with skin a lovely jade color, sidles up to dance shoulder to shoulder with Jojee, mimicking her actions dancing with you. You've drawn a large number of eyes here, and there are probably some hateful glares as well, especially that pig-snouted guy with the dark eyes. He is jealous and does not like you.

How long do you let this little competition go? Or, shall I say, how long after Jojee strips off her shirt and dances with just her underwear top so she can "level the playing field" with the scantily-clad Twi'Lek?
  • Ladro Eyes

Once Jojee takes off her shirt, it's my cue to try and guide this pilot to a safe landing. The question is how to do it without causing more of a scene.

After a broad wink to the Twi'Lek, I take Jojee's hand and lead her back to the table. I know she doesn't think she's going back to the ship tonight, but I don't want to get knifed in this bar. Hosk would be insufferable.
    "Tell me I karking won, Ladro." Jojee says as you lead her by the arm. She's covered in a sheen of perspiration, hair sticking to her face. "No. Tell her I won. I'm better than any Twi'Lek!" She half turns to yell it, "That's right! Better dancer than any Twi'Lek! And I can out-drink a Gammorean, too! Or a Wookie!" She slides onto a stool, slapping the bar to order another drink. She's going to get hammered at this rate.
  • Ladro Eyes

I very carefully do not chuckle. "You're the best dancer I know, Jojee, and the way you hold your liquor, it's like Seesk designed the storage system." I raise an eyebrow at the bartender, and he catches my intent, gives her a lighter ale and no shot.

While I can still get her to focus on me, I engage her in some conversation, try to fill in some pieces that I'm lacking about her. Foremost on my mind, of course, is figuring out what it will take to get her back to the ship without damage to property or my own precious self, in the process. But I'm also interested in this pattern of weeks of tight control followed by an explosive release of pressure. And... why me? I make a joke and she goes stiff as a board, but three drinks in, she's taking off her shirt and practically... well...

OOC:

Spending 2-bond with Jojee to Look into her Heart and ask two questions:

How can I get Jojee back to the ship without any serious trouble?

Why does Jojee keep doing this to/with Ladro?
  • Getting her back to the ship will take either getting her more inebriated than now and carrying her, or telling her Lee would be disappointed if she wasn't around early in the morning, in case there's trouble.

Jojee keeps doing this to/with Ladro because she's trying to tell him something, but doesn't have the courage to do it sober.
  • Ladro Eyes

I give Jojee a searching look. "Jojee, what... what aren't you telling me?" I reach out a hand, but it hovers a second... touch her hand, her face, her shoulder? Shoulder. I grip her shoulder. "What's going on here?"

I am a hypocrite. Secret upon secret, and trying to dig up hers. But, I can't unsay the words.
    Her shoulders slump and she shies away from your look. "It's... it's Lee." She brushes her hair out of her eyes, fidgets for a moment. After that, she looks up at you again, "I hate her, Ladro. Chaddith was going to give the Libation to me. She was my ship. Then Lee's karking momma died and she ended up Chaddith's problem. The stupid kid stuck around long enough to learn the ship, but she's so kriffing... she's running spice. This is so..." She snarls in frustration, hangs her head, hair falling around her face, sniffs loudly.
  • Ladro Eyes

I feel pieces shift in my mind, dropping into place. Like that holo-game that was a fad for a while, a few cycles back, Tetraas.

"Jojee, the Libation's no Z-10 Seeker. If Chaddith had given you the Libation, you'd have stuck with her, and never aimed for the Seeker, would you? What will you name your customized Z-10, once you have her?"
    Jojee's long black hair hangs over her face, but she's listening. She sniffles a couple times, but otherwise doesn't react. When you ask her what she wants to name her own ship, she says, barely above a whisper, "The Tenacious Gundark."

So saying, she moves her head, still bent, to your chest, just pushing it against you. She's very drunk. This could easily be the beginning of her coming on to you.
  • Ladro Eyes

I think about the last time, the conflict between taking advantage of Jojee's 'eruption' and being a good crewmate, a friend, as crazy as that was then. On examination, there's no conflict now. I remember the smell of klava and a distinctive musk.

It's time to go. I signal the bartender for one shot of the strong stuff. I mean, the strong stuff. This is Mos Eisley, after all, and it's not my first turn around the carousel. When he delivers it, I hand it to Jojee. "Drink up, Captain Jojee. We'll get you your Z-10."
  • Jojee raises her head from your chest and lifts the glass. She downs it in one long gulp.

You end up carrying her back.
  • Ladro Eyes

This newly-gained knowledge is heavier than Jojee's passed-out body over my shoulder. I carry them both back to the Libation and put Jojee to bed. Pull off her boots, tuck her in, still in her clothes, and take the stuffed bantha I bought at Bantha Traxx off the shelf and leave it on the bed. I leave water and a few pain-tabs nearby and then head back to the shuttle for a nightcap and too few hours of troubled sleep.
  • As you head into the shuttle, you pass by Hosk in the main area. He's got his blaster out, cleaning it in his ritualistic way. He nods a greeting, doesn't seem up for conversation even though he isn't angry.

You've been in your room for an hour when you get an odd feeling. Something's not right, Ladro. You just know it.
  • Ladro Eyes

I have a bad feeling about this. I get kitted up - from buck naked to ready for a fight takes me about ninety seconds, I've timed it. Out the door, back to the ship proper. Cargo hold first.
  • You head past Hosk, who notices your demeanor and starts reassembling his blaster quickly. He'll catch up to you.

When you come into the area above the hold (since the hold proper is flooded), you catch sight of a few things. First, the hatch to the hold is open. Second, there is a Barabel and a pair of Weequay in here. They're watch guard, and one's about to take aim at you.

What do you do?
  • Ladro Eyes

My blaster is already in my hand. I don't hesitate even a little, just pull the trigger and shoot whoever's currently aiming at me.
  • The first shot hits a Weequay in the chest, sending him flying. Why don't you roll Assault to see how this battle pans out?
  • Assault

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 1, 5. Total: 7)
  • Ladro wants to clear out the sentries.
  • edited November 2014
    This has become map-worthy:
    unwanted_visitors
    You fire a couple more shots. The first Weequay is busy falling to the deck after your first shot. The second and third shots head for the Barabel, hitting him. He doesn't fall, but it obviously hurts, and he takes off for the lounge (to the aft). The second Weequay ignores his fallen "brother" and fires a couple shots your way. He wings you (after armor, you take 1-Harm) as the Barabel continues running, then he pulls back. They've left the hold area for now, but they're still in the ship. The hatch to the hold is still open.

Hosk joins you a moment later. Anyone in this ship knows poodoo is going down.
  • edited November 2014
    Ladro Eyes

I run to the ship comm and slap the button. "Lee, we've got guests in the hold. Lock up the ramp and watch for threats. Two loose on the ship." To Hosk, "Close and dog the hatch, then follow me. Two, with blasters." Pointing toward the lounge.

Yes, I'm hurt. There's time for pain later. I've got a couple baddies to put down.
  • Hosk's on the hatch and you don't hear anything from Lee, but you know she's on it if she heard.

When you come barging into the lounge, the Weequay turns to fire on you, but the Barabel continues on. He's heading for the Engine Room, or something.
  • Ladro Eyes

I ignore the Weequay and chase the Barabel through the lounge. Hosk will clean up the mess.

Act Under Fire

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 5. Total: 12)
  • edited November 2014
    Ladro Eyes

The Weequay takes a shot that destroys the potted ficaas tree Seesk has been keeping alive through her motherly attentions and sheer force of will, but I don't have time for regret as I chase the Barabel through the exit, brace, and let off a shot. Right at his back. I'm not proud.
  • You fire as the Weequay destroyes part of the lounge, passing him by. As you charge after the reptilian foe, he lowers his shoulder and barrels forward for the Engine Room. Behind you, somewhere else in the ship, you hear more blaster fire. It doesn't sound like Hosk's blaster. It could be Lee's? Hard to tell.

Right as the Barabel runs through the storage room, you level your blaster and fire, hitting him full in the back. His momentum carries him into the Engine Room, and you hear more blaster bolts, but they don't come from his blaster, which is skidding across the deck.

Squall was in the Engine Room, and ze had zir blaster. That Barabel is finished.
  • edited November 2014
    Ladro Eyes

I spin quickly to face the Weequay that I'm assuming is right behind me, lining up a shot. While I turn, I yell, "Squall, back me up. We need to get the cockpit." If the Weequay's there, I'll deal with the fact. Otherwise, I'm moving through the ship to get to the cockpit and, I assume, Lee.

I wonder if Jojee even woke up...
    Squall nods, jogging up to you, stopping to kick the corpse of the Barabel, "Kriffing sleemos. This is why I hate Tattoine, Ladro." Ze follows you as you both head back towards the cockpit. You pass through the lounge, the Weequay is gone. You come into the upper hold, and Hosk is there with his blaster rifle out. The hatch to the lower hold is closed.

The pair of you come up through the passage to the bridge. As you do, a third Weequay drops to the ground near you, falling dead from Seesk's hands. The Trandoshan choked him to death. There's also the smell of burned flesh, that particular smell a blaster burn gives.
  • Ladro Eyes

As we jog past Hosk, I tell him to keep an eye out for the Weequay.

I spare only a glance for Seesk and her dead foe. Does Seesk seem hurt? Either way, I continue on to my objective.
  • Seesk is bleeding from a couple stab wounds, in her gut. She's up, though.

You head onto the bridge to find Lee yanking a dead body out of her captain's chair and dropping it to the floor.

Leeadra
    "Karking sleemo Weequay scum!" She looks up at you. "You alright, Ladro?" Her eyes are wild with adrenalin and a little fear, her hands are shaking and she dropped her blaster on the deck, probably right after she shot this Weequay.

Yes, that means there were four Weequay and a Barabel that got into your ship.
  • Ladro Eyes

Before I respond, I look to make sure the ramp is secured. If not, I'll slap the button myself.

"Lee, we should get you to the med droid." I hurt, too, but at least I'm not bleeding. "How did five of these scrum get on board? And who told them we were a worthwhile target?" The questions have to be asked.
  • edited November 2014
    Leeadra
    Lee shakes her head, "No, I'm. I'm fine. And I don't know who sold us out, but there's no way we should've been hit!"

"Only a few of us even left the ship. And nobody was gone long enough to do much of anything."

Leeadra
    "We're taking off. Now. We'll dump the bodies into space." Lee says as she searches for a rag or something to clean her seat.
  • Ladro Eyes

"Good idea. Where do you need me and Hosk? Ah, Jojee's probably not in the best shape to take the helm."
  • edited November 2014
    Leeadra
    Lee nearly growls in frustration, "Karking Jojee. Did she get wasted again? Stupid junkies and drunks, that's all I've got." Squall slumps a little, then ze heads back towards the Engine Room. "Seesk, check the cargo, then check at the med bay. Ladro, ask Hosk to hop in the turret. And... I need you to copilot for me. Butter up control tower and watch shields if we're hit."

Seesk starts moving slowly out to check the cargo as ordered.
  • Ladro Eyes

As I settle into the copilot's chair, the situation really hits. Something happened to let the local bully boys know that the Libation was a toxic gold mine. I know it wasn't Jojee or me, we were together the whole time. It wasn't Lee, I'm certain. She needs the payday too badly for both practical and personal reasons. Squall could've called off the ship, I suppose. And Hosk and Seesk were both alone in Mos Eisley for an unknown period of time.

Hontu's people had no way of knowing where we'd be, and neither did the being who's receiving the delivery. So, Hosk, Seesk, Squall. The leak came from one of them. I hope it was unintentional.

I contact the control tower. "Serendipitous Libation requesting clearance for immediate departure."
  • Ladro, I'd like to see you Act Under Fire here. The control tower hasn't received their usual bribes to get things moving. Plus, they may be influenced by whoever is making a move on you and try to hold you here.
  • Ladro Eyes

Everything's on the line here. Almost literally everything. A hold full of toxic waste, and enough Spice to get everyone aboard killed or thrown into a prison for the rest of their lives. My return home, as fraught as that is. Every stupid scheme and scratch that I've tried to hold my life together could end right here, right now.

Keep it cool, Ladro, keep it cool.
  • Act Under Fire

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 2, 5. Total: 9)
  • Spending 1-bond from Lee, to get advice on dealing with the tower and nudge that up to a 10.
  • "There's a 200 credit docking fee still unpaid..." Control begins, but you slide them the last bribe, straight out of Lee's meager coffers. She'd planned for 350.

Then you're in the air, lifting straight up out of the bay, nothing impeding your exit. Within moments, you're angled straight up and heading out of atmo. As the ship begins to shake and shudder when you hit the atmosphere of Tattoine, Lee looks over at you.

Leeadra
    "Ladro, how did this happen? We were laying low. I did... I did everything Chaddith taught me. I greased all the palms, no inspections, everything." Her voice is tight with emotion. Could be fear, or betrayal.
  • Ladro Eyes

"Truth, Lee? Someone had to have said something. On purpose, or let it slip. I know it wasn't Jojee or me... she was with me the whole time we were on-planet, and I wouldn't sabotage something I set up. I assume it's not you, that would be crazy. Hontu couldn't have known we'd be here, now, and neither could the being that's supposed to take delivery. As much as it pains me to say it, that leaves Squall making a call off-ship, Hosk, or Seesk."

Yeah, that came out in a rush, just like that. It's been formulating in my mind since I saw the sleemos in the upper hold. "What do you want to do?"
  • edited November 2014
    Leeadra
    Leeadra exhales sharply through her nose, "It's the junkie. I knew it. I should have left her back on karking Lianna with karking Cander. I only kriffing took her on because Jojee vouched for her. And I'm not doing that zir poodoo any more. I've seen her parts, I don't give a sithspit what her deal is!" There's something about the way Lee mentioned Sqall's parts that came out odd.

Leeadra's in full rage-mode now, "Stupid karking spice junkie. You know... you know she stripped out our backup hyperdrive back when we first went to Secundus? Remember the sudden escape we made, that extra boost? She tapped the backup hyperdrive. That's why it broke when primary went down! Poor maintenance wasn't the problem, it was her karking tweaking!" She's fuming now, in one of those rages you've seen.

She turns to glance at you after you're out in space, heading to the hyperspace jump point. She gets on the comms, "Seesk, can you dump the bodies now, please? Make sure we shake them down for anything we can use or resell."
  • Ladro Eyes

I'm not going to defend Squall. Not going to say anything else on the subject, actually, until Lee's storm blows over. But I'm also not going to let her act on her assumption unchallenged.

Once we're well out from Tatooine, I say, "Lee, do you need me in the chair any longer?"
  • Leeadra
    With a couple of toggle flips and a switch of the controls to take over, Leeadra answers in a clipped tone, "Nope. Head on out if you want."
  • Ladro Eyes

As I stand to leave, a thought occurs to me. "Lee, do we keep a log, or any surveillance, on the personnel ports? I'd like to find out when and how those sleemos came on board."
  • Leeadra
    Lee is sort of ignoring you, but she still answers, "Couldn't afford to fix the keypad system, but if you dig in the logs, you can work out the time sequence. They either came in the airlock, or maybe an escape pod, I'd think. Ramp's a no go." She pauses, then adds, "Or through the shuttle. But then you'd see them, right?" She flicks a glance back to you, but then she's back to busy work.
  • Ladro Eyes

I could sit back down, check the logs from here, but I'd rather leave Lee to her anger for now, so I leave. First stop is the airlock, which would've been easiest since there were several of them.
  • You check the timestamps on the airlock and you track

(30 mins ago) open for 5 seconds -- this is when you carried Jojee in
    (~1 hour ago) open for 30 seconds
    (~2 hours ago) open for 5 seconds
    (2 hours, 40 mins ago) open for 5 seconds
    (5 hours ago) series of openings over ten minutes -- this is when you landed on Tattoine
  • Ladro Eyes

I'll check the escape pods, but it looks like the longer opening an hour ago was the moment. I'd guess the 2 hour and 2 hour 40 minute openings were Hosk and Seesk, in some order.

Was the lock opened from the inside or the outside?

• Escape pods were untouched. they're actually physically locked from the inside and would take some serious slicing to gain entry.

The airlock was opened externally each time.
  • Ladro Eyes

That, at least, is a relief. I'm really hoping this ends up as someone being careless with what they said, and not actually opening the door for the intruders.

I've got three people to talk to. I draw straws mentally, and wind up picking Seesk, so I'll look for her.
  • You come upon Seesk in the area above the hold. She's busy cleaning up all the scoring from the blaster shots. She probably did the lounge first.

Seesk nods her head in greeting, "Ladro."
  • Ladro Eyes

"Seesk, I'd like to ask you a few questions, if that's okay? We need to figure out how those walking piles of poodoo knew to target us. It's not just you, and I'll happily answer any questions you have, if you want."
    Seesk puts her rag in a pocket, crosses her arms and leans against the bulkhead, "Sounds good to me. Ask away, Ladro."
  • edited November 2014
    Ladro Eyes

"Two quick things first. Who were you visiting in Mos Eisley, and when did you get back to the ship?"

I'll follow up, get the story of her visit, and then ask, simply, "Try to think, Seesk, did you tell anyone anything about our cargo that might make them get greedy?"
  • edited November 2014
    Her arms still crossed, she looks at you with a Trandoshan version of a neutral look, "I went to see Dannik Jerriko. I owed him a holocrystal his sister sent with me. We shared a drink at his place, I mentioned I was doing lots of interesting things with cargo-loading. I didn't mention we have tons and tons of spice on board." She looks at you for a moment, then asks back, "Did Lee ask you to ask around?"
  • Ladro Eyes

"No, Lee's already decided whose fault it must've been. I just need to make the pieces fit, for my peace of mind. I'm responsible for the spice being here."

Using 1-bond with Seesk to Look into her heart. Is she telling the truth?
  • Seesk did brag about the cargo tricks she's pulling, and she mentioned this particular haul, but she didn't specifically mention hauling spice. It's possible this Dannik Jerriko read between the lines that hauling toxic waste is a cover, but it isn't likely.
  • Ladro Eyes

"Thanks, Seesk. Is there anything else you want to ask me? That was the deal. Well, anything except which of my crewmates I want to kriff the most. I think we covered that a while back."
    "What happens if one of the crew did it? What happens if it's Hosk?"
  • Ladro Eyes

I don't mention that I'm pretty sure it was one of three people. Seesk can work that out if she wants to. "We'll deal with that when we need to, Seesk. If someone made a mistake, that's one thing, but if someone purposefully invited this trouble? That's another. If we'd lost that spice, we wouldn't only have been out money. We would be on a Hutt's 'least favorite people' list."
    Without missing a beat, Seesk asks, "Who does Lee think did it?"
  • Ladro Eyes

I said I'd answer questions. "She thinks it's Squall. Keep that to yourself, though, please?"
  • edited November 2014
    Seesk shrugs, like she wasn't planning on sharing it anyways. She's done with her questions, knowing better than to ask who you think did it, since you're asking questions.

Also, she told you she was the two hour and forty minute ago entry.
  • edited November 2014
    Ladro Eyes

"Thanks, Seesk."

Hosk next, or Squall? I decide that Squall is going to be the most emotionally exhausting, so I leave her... zir for last. Hosk it is.
    Hosk is up in the shuttle. He's got a nice-looking wide-brimmed brown hat with some blood spatters on it that he's cleaning. This was not Hosks's hat. It is now, though. "That was some bombad action, hunh?" He's got an unlit deathstick in his mouth.
  • Ladro Eyes

"It was. Hey, listen. I need to ask some questions. It's really bothering me that the spice run I sold Lee is the reason this happened. And I need to figure out how those kriffing piles of druk found out about it. I'm not accusing or anything, just putting together the pieces. Zeng?"
    "It's Tattoine, Lad," Hosk says casually. "Mos Eisley's a hive of scum and villany. You know that. They were probably a bunch of opportunists."

He looks at you for a bit, then puts the hat down and leans back, clasping his hands behind his head, "You want to play private eye? Be my guest, Lad. Ask away."
  • Ladro Eyes

I do mostly the same routine I did with Seesk, modifying my material for the audience, of course. "When you left the Cantina, did you come straight back to the Libation? Did you run into anybody, talk to anybody? And when did you get back?"

I'll ask whatever followups seem appropriate, then come out with it. "Hosk, I know you're a cagey old sister-kriffer, but did you say anything to anyone that might've given them the idea that we had unusually precious cargo?"
    His lip curls a bit, annoyed that you're actually carrying through with this. Evidently he expected to call your bluff and you'd back off. He sighs a little, "I stopped by a food cart, grabbed some fried meat on a stick. I didn't chat with the Rodian who sold me the meat. I came back here. I didn't say anything to anyone. I didn't go visit friends. I didn't get trashed at a cantina. I was a professional."
  • Ladro Eyes

Spending 1-hold with Hosk to Look into his Heart

Is he telling the truth?
  • One hundred percent.
  • edited November 2014
    Ladro Eyes

"Thanks, Hosk, and sorry." I head to the Engine Room, steeling myself and, sadly, making sure my blaster is free in its holster. Once I get there, I don't waste time with the niceties.

"Squall, did you tell anyone we had tons and tons of spice on board the Libation?"
    When you come into the Engine Room, Squall is mopping up the area where the Barabel bled out. Ze looks up, mop in hand, "Make any... who would I call? I don't really know anybody on Tattooine. No. I didn't make any calls. I didn't even leave the ship."
  • Ladro Eyes

See, there's a thing I've learned. Restating the question or responding to a question with a question, those are both pretty good indicators that a being just might be lying.

I don't say it, yet, but I put the words together in my head. Byatskhan naiz, chi nadad khudal khelj baina ve? Little friend, are you lying to me?

"Squall, someone found out we had something valuable on board the ship. I know it wasn't me or Jojee that let it slip, and I've already talked to the rest." Letting the fact that Lee's getting a pass, for now, go. "If you made a mistake, called a friend or maybe someone that used to hook you up, and let some information out, I'm sure we can fix it."
    "Fix it? Fix what, Ladro?" Squall asks, blinking and fidgeting a little. "We got off that sandball safe and sound, nothing left to fix, right? I didn't sell us out or anything, Ladro."
  • Ladro Eyes

"I didn't say anything about selling us out, Squally. I said someone might have made a mistake. Did you call anyone from the ship while we were on Tatooine?" I hate this, and I hate myself right now, but I need to know, and I will find out, one way or the other. Even if I turn out to be wrong, and Squall ends up hating me.
    Ze looks at you for a long moment, searching your eyes. Licks zir lips. Then shakes zir head, "I didn't. Nobody."
  • Ladro Eyes

Spending 1-Bond

"Byatskhan naiz, chi nadad khudal khelj baina ve?"
  • edited November 2014
    Squall closes zir eyes, rubbing the bridge of zir nose, avoiding your gaze for a moemnt. When ze opens zir eyes, words come tumbling out in rapid succession, "Bi bidend ilüü sain üne olj chadna gedgiig bi medej ! Ter bidniig untraakh avakhad yum! Mash ikh amtlagch mash tsöökhön ni baritsaaldag baina. Ladro . Bi tuslakhyg khüssen yum ... Bi khiisen bükh amtlagch tonn ochij yamar Jabba -iin khudaldagch negiig ni asuuj baisan yum. Bid achaalal tavan zuun zeel avakh yostoi! Tavan zuun !"
    (I knew I could get us a better price! He was ripping us off! So few credits for so much spice. Ladro. I wanted to help... All I did was ask one of Jabba's sellers what a ton of spice would go for. We should get FIVE HUNDRED credits for that load! FIVE HUNDRED!)

Squall moves forward, pushing herself at you, touching your chest, "Please, Ladro. Don't tell. Lee will kill me. Or worse, send me away. This is the only job I can do, the only job I want to do!" Ze pulls your hand up to zir cheek, looking up at you, "Please, I'm begging you, Ladro. I'll do anything you want. Anything." Zir eyes are moist, zir face desperate as ze presses zir thin body against you. A hand snakes down towards your crotch. If you let zir, Squall will go down on you right here and now. She's going to try.
  • Ladro Eyes

I push Squall away, hard enough to make zir stagger. "Shut it, Squall. I don't want anything except for you to be worth the time and effort and worry you've caused me. Which you refuse to be." I'm working up a real head of steam. "If those thugs had made off with the spice, do you know who Hontu would have fed to his pet... whatever monstrous pet he keeps? Me." I'm shouting now. "Do you karking understand that, Squall?"
    Squall winces when you shout, but ze doesn't cry. Zir head hangs down and ze puts a hand on zir forearm, slightly holding zirself, "I karked up. I thought I could get you more credits, knowing what a portion of the spice would sell for. Give you leverage against Hontu. You could. You could buy protection from him and we could still all rake it in with what's left over. I don't know how he traced it back to me.."
  • Ladro Eyes

How many times has Squall said, "I karked up," or the equivalent? How many times have I pulled zir out of the poodoo and smoothed things over as best I could? And, I have to wonder, how many times has Jojee done the same, without me even knowing? Too many. Too many.

"Enough. Enough excuses." I grab zir arm, keeping my blaster hand free. "You're coming with me. Now."
    Squall tries to pull zir arm away, "You. You're taking me to Lee, aren't you?" Zir voice is more afraid than angry, but ze is trying to find some way to keep this from happening.

Ladro, you know ze's done for if you turn zir in. You know Lee will fire Squall. Lee won't kill zir, but the very next stop, Squall will be kicked off the Libation, no severance pay, nothing.
  • Ladro Eyes

"Yes." Just the one word, then pulling Squall for the door, toward the bridge.
  • Squall doesn't fight you any further. Ze walks with you, looking straight ahead, like some final march. You reach the bridge to find the streaking stars outside the viewscreen and Lee in her pilot's chair.

Leeadra
    Lee slips a couple switches to keep the ship steady, turns around in her chair, ignoring Squall and looking at you, "I was right, wasn't I, Ladro?" She crosses her arms under breasts and waits to hear your reply.
  • Ladro Eyes

My voice is hard. "You were right. Squall thought ze could get us a better deal, thought we should sell the lot out from under Hontu, instead of just taking the pay for transporting the karking stuff. Talked to one of Jabba's people, and it led them here."

I pause before continuing, making sure I've got it right. "I know you're going to want to put zir off the ship at our first stop, but you can't." I hold up my hand to forestall objections. "You can't put zir off until we get rid of the kriffing spice. Ze knows what we've got, and there's no way to guarantee ze won't blab again, intentionally or not."

I'll stop there, let Lee react. I'm not defending Squall, just pointing out a problem with precipitous action.
  • Squall flinches when you agree with Lee's assessment, but ze says nothing in zir defense.

Leeadra
    Lee listens to your logic, her eyes narrowing. She practically snarls, "You're right. Sithspit, the kark-up would blab for creds wherever we drop her skinny tail off..." Squall opens zir mouth to protest, but Lee cuts her off, "Squall Onondb, you're no longer a member of this crew. I'm confining you to the quarters where you're staying, but you need to pack your poodoo up. I'll grant you room and board for the rest of the trip, more than you deserve. When we get to Devaron, I'll be making two deliveries. One is the spice. The other is you. I'm dropping you off there, and wherever you go, it's no longer my concern. You're dismissed."

With a sullen look, Squall says through gritted teeth, fighting back tears, "You're making a mistake. I'm a good engineer! I made the Libation purr..."

Leeadra
    Lee cuts her off, "And you stole my lover. And you ruined my hyperdirve. And you sold us out to Jabba the karking Hutt! You're not worth the risk anymore! Now get off my bridge before I'm tempted to end your employment on less amicable terms. You get me?!?"

Squall flinches again, tears leaking out as ze drops zir head, defeated. Ze turns to head off towards what was zir quarters.
  • Ladro Eyes

As she leaves, I steel myself for one last hateful, hurtful question. "Squall, do we need to post a guard on you?"
  • edited November 2014
    Squall replies without looking up, zir voice quiet, breaking with emotion, "That's the captain's call. I don't work here anymore."

Leeadra
    "You'll turn over your blaster to Seesk. She will return it to you when we land on Devaron. I'll switch up the codes and confine you except during meal times. Seesk will bring you meals. I don't want to see your scarred gray face again, Squall."

That one wrecks her. Squall starts speed walking out of the bridge towards zir quarters. Lee makes a pfft noise, like "now she cares".