[In and Out] Rehab (4.2)

edited December 2014 in PnR

The Real World

So, here's the new normal, at least for the near-term. It's a week later, and Jake has weathered the storm. There was a crisis several days ago when damage to his pancreas resulted in an infection that required readmission to the ICU. It's under control, but the sight of Jake spasming in the throes of a 104-degree fever will stay with you a long, long time. He's back in a "normal" room, but still tightly monitored for a few days until he gets transferred to a rehab facility. He asked for his sketch-book and brush pens, which seems like a good sign. Doesn't it? What is it that he's sketching right now, Trev?

Your "shifts" have been refined to the hours that Jake's likely to be awake and in need of company. So, it's around 2 PM and you're sitting at the hospital. Is Reggie here? Who else?

So, I'll define that a little further. Aside from Reggie (if she's here), one other person is sitting with you. Mr. or Mrs. K, your mom or dad, Tandy, or Margie. Or is there someone we haven't met yet?

Comments

• Trevian
    It really is a good sign. He's working on the sketch of Reggie and me. It's almost done. So amazing. I've already gotten a frame picked out. Well, Reggie and I did. She's getting it mounted, putting it up at her place.

Reggie's at her place, doing some work on her entrance papers and a little research on TSol. I'm heading over there to play after supper. I hope to surprise her with a little din din.

Jill's here. Nice of her to finally find time away from law school.
  • The Real World

Jill gave you an awkward hug when she arrived, then settled in to wait for the next window of opportunity to see Jake. She's sipping on a coffee, flipping through some document on her tablet, but pauses to ask, "So, how are you doing, Trev?"

• Trevian
    Well, Jill, I rode here in a Tesla.
    "I'm alright, considering. Really miss my man Jake. Taking some time off from the Dipper to, you know, play TSol." I offer her a polite smile, "Jake's doing a sketch of me and Reggie, my girlfriend. He's almost done. It's really great."
  • The Real World

"He's really talented. I miss him, too, you know." She sighs, runs her fingers through her curly red hair. "Is he seeing anyone, do you know?"

• Trevian
    I nod. "He is, yeah." I'm tempted to go on and on about Margie. Instead, I just say, "You rememeber Margaret? She tends bar at The Top. They've been seeing each other." I let that lie out there for a bit. "How's law school?"
  • The Real World

Jill

She blows out an angry breath when you tell her about Margie, then catches herself. "Law school is a stone cold bitch. In high heels. With a whip." She chuckles. "I could tell you about it, but even I would get bored. Blah blah blah, papers, blah blah blah Con Law, blah blah blah Torts."

• Trevian
    "Eyes on the prize, though, right?" I offer. "In a few years, you'll be rolling in it, your name on a huge building, all that jazz. Jake is pulling for you."

I add, "Me, too."
  • The Real World

Jill

Jill glances at you sharply. "Really? I never thought you liked me very much, well, that or you didn't like me and Jake together. I mean, you were always nice enough, but..." She has this way of being direct that doesn't really seem accusatory. Probably serves well in mock-trials, you'd think.

• Trevian
    I shrug, offer her an encouraging smile, "I wasn't a fan of you two together, no." I answer honestly. Then I hold up a hand, "The timing was off. I could see how stressed it made you to be away from your studies, and it was killing him, too. The guy was lonely, and frustrated. It was just a bad situation, but nothing personal. Doesn't mean I didn't like you. You're a pretty cool person."
  • The Real World

Jill

"You see the best in people, Trev. I just flat-out failed with Jake, though. I had my head up my ass, not just in my textbooks. I guess I live with that, though. He's happy? I mean, not right now, but with Margaret?"

Before you can answer, a nurse calls over from the duty station. "Jerry says your friend's awake, if you want to head in. Still room 217."

Jill looks at you. "Do you mind if I...?"

• Trevian
    Aw, that makes me kinda sad, listening to her berate herself. "He's pretty happy, yeah."

The nurse cuts in, and Jill looks at me, asking if she can go first. I wave a hand, "Go ahead. Just don't bore him back to sleep talking about torts." As she starts to go, I give her a look, "Hey, if you want to grab some coffee after, I'm free. Not sure how long you're in." It's just an invite. Trying to be friendly. Would be nice to talk to her when she's being cool like this.
  • The Real World

Jill

Jill looks torn. "Maybe not this time? I've... yeah, I've got to get my head in the books again. Con Law's killing me. The Supreme Court is equal parts terrifying and boring, once you know a little bit." She flashes you that smile, the one you know caught Jake's interest in the first place. "But next time?"

After waiting for your reply, she heads down the hall to room 217. You're alone in the waiting room for only a minute or two before Jake's dad shows up. "Trevian, good to see you here. How's my boy? I mean Jake, not you." He's still a little awkward with vernacular English, he grew up in the States, but his parents were first-gen and still spoke mostly Japanese at home.

• Trevian
    Just the man I wanted to see. I stand up, shake his hand. "Hey, Mr. K." Jake has such awesome parents. "I'm great. Hey, uhm, I'm glad you came along. I've got, ah, something in my car. I could use some help with it... could you come down to the parking garage with me, please?"
  • The Real World

Mr. K looks at you quizically, but shrugs. "Sure, Trevian. What do you have in the car? It's a little early yet to decorate Jake's room for Christmas." He's following you, though, to the elevator.

• Trevian
    "Oh, I'm sure it won't fit in Jake's room." I say as we stand in the elevator. "How is the preparations for the return of the little birdie to the nest?"
  • The Real World

Mr. K quirks an eyebrow at your quip, but answers the question. "We're ready. His mother and I have already moved upstairs, and there's a 'hospital' bed standing by for delivery. What's in you car? That trunk can't hold anything too big, can it?" He's super curious. You see a little bit of Jake in him right now, wanting to know what's around the bend.

• Trevian
    "My trunk's recently gotten an upgrade, Mr. K. I think you'll like it." I'm grinning like a fool now. Maybe I timed this wrong, the car's on the next level.
  • The Real World

He does that thing that only comes out when he's really intrigued, excited, or angry. "You're killing me Tarevianu..."

• Trevian
    "We're almost there, Mr.K." I tell him, enjoying his anticipation. "It's pretty cool."
  • The Real World

Mr. K is visibly shifting from foot to foot. Jake does that, too, when he's excited for something, or anxious. You get to the right level of the garage and exit the elevator. He's looking around for your hooptie, doesn't see it, and you lead him to the Tesla. When you palm the biometric lock and the car gives that musical chirp, his eyes go wide.

You totally understand what he says next, from long experience with Jake and Tandy. "Watashi o fakku! (Fuck me!) What, you're driving this now? How did that happen? Can I try it out? How's the ride? How does it handle?" Then he reverts to rapid Japanese that's beyond your ability to follow.

• Trevian
    I pull out the key ring, which has the Tesla symbol on it, of course. "I met Elon Musk at the PRD. He loaned it to me, for PR during the TSol quest. Here," I hand the key ring to him. "Let's go for a ride, Mr. K."
  • The Real World

Trev's Tesla

Mr. K's hands actually shake as you hand him the keys. "She's really pretty, Trev. Thanks." He gets in the driver's side and runs his hand over the dash, then starts the car. The engine doesn't purr, of course, but they purposefully built in some white noise from the fans so you can tell that it's running.

Where does Mr. K take your baby, and does he ever really let it out all the way?

• Trevian
    It's so adorable seeing Mr. K spaz out. He's such a great dad and I'm delighted to see him happy. I haven't seen him smile like this in years. We hit the highway quickly, and after I bug him for five miles, he finally pushes her a bit. It's indescribable.
  • The Real World

Mr. K pulls off the highway onto a stretch of state road that you know, after a few initial curves, is ten miles of a straight shot with hardly any trees and no place for a trooper or sheriff's deputy to hide. He gives you a grin, then starts pushing the accelerator. 100... 110... 120... 130... 140... 150... 160... 170! A mile-and-a-quarter before the next curve, he brakes and brings the car to a full stop on the shoulder.

"YATTA!" He's breathing fast and simply glowing with excitement. "Tarevu, I may just write you into my will for that." He holds his fist up for a bump.

• Trevian
    I'm gripping the "oh shit" handle when he gets it up to 150, but it's awesome. I hadn't taken the car over 100 yet, so it's a real experience. This is the fastest I've ever been on a live road. It's exhilarating.

When he offers the fist bump, I return it. "That was amazing, Mr. K. Really fun. That's the fastest this girl's gone. I'm glad you had the guts." I sit there with him, car idling quietly.
  • The Real World

Metal's ticking around you as it cools after that run. Mr. K's still got that stupid grin, but suddenly remembers he's an adult, sorta. "Trevian, you should never do that. What I just did. You could get arrested or hurt, or hurt someone else. Still, though... just... damn." He puts the car back into gear, makes a U-turn, and starts back for the hospital.

As he's driving at a more appropriate speed back up that straightaway, something occurs to him. "Wait, you met Elon Musk?"

• Trevian
    When Mr. K admonishes me, or himself, for driving too fast, I give him a mock serious look and nod along, like "yes, sir. You are absolutely right." I grin a little, too.

"I did. Reggie and I met him. I shook his hand." I answer straight up. "He's really amazing, super sharp, clear speaker, pretty nice, too. But busy, very busy."
  • The Real World

He considers for a moment. "That's great Trev. You seem really happy with Reggie, and you're having a really good run recently. Remember, though, Deru kui wa utareru. 'The stake that sticks out gets hammered down.' Be careful about getting comfortable..."

• Trevian
    I look at him, watching him for a moment. "Reggie's the perfect girl. And, she's my partner in TSol, we work together great in the game. But... what do you mean? About getting comfy? You mean, the car? The money? That I might blow it at the game?"
  • edited December 2014

The Real World

He thinks for a moment before answering. "Sort of? Deru kui wa utareru really means something like, 'If you excel, you make yourself a target.' Westerners interpret it differently, as something about an urge for conformity, but I see it as a warning and a lesson. Like the gunslingers in the Old West, right, or a ronin? If you were really good, the stories say someone would eventually come up to challenge you. I'd interpret it like, 'If you kick ass, know that someone's lining up to try and kick yours.'"

• Trevian
    Ah. Yeah, that. I nod. I get it. "I know one person who we pissed off already. I had a duel, and I was losing, but Reggie stepped in and ganked- I mean, her character sniped them." I shake my head. "But I know there are others gunning for us. And I haven't been playing enough lately. I feel like we're slipping. The move, the car, all of it, it's really, really, ah, distracting."
  • The Real World

"Trevian, I know you're not my own son, but I think you know we love you, Iris and me. Is it okay for me to give you some advice, man-to-man?"

• Trevian
    I've been asking for this, honestly. I value his advice. "Please do."
  • The Real World

Mr. K maneuvers the car (have you named it yet, by the way, Trev?) back onto the Interstate and heads you back into the metropolitan area, toward the hospital. "Two things. First, it's not just your progress in the game that's at risk, here. You've got a cool new car, a stipend, a girlfriend who, if I may be totally frank, is way out of your league..." He chuckles. He's not serious, but he's indicating that it's the way some folks might see it. "It's possible your friends, acquaintances, even people that don't really know you, may be jealous, may think that playing a game isn't reason enough for your good fortune. They don't know that you do deserve it, Trev, that you're a really good young man with a heart like a galaxy and a head that's still sorting out the puzzle pieces of making a life." A car behind you honks, and the two of you realize that he's driving below the speed limit, maybe unconsciously stretching the moment. He speeds up. "Second? Yeah... if you're going to kick ass, you need to kick it hard... Truth? If you make this thing happen, you don't even have to worry about how to piece together a life, do you? From what Tandy and Jake say, you've got a real chance. We'll all still love you if it doesn't happen, but it's worth... extending yourself, don't you think?"

• Trevian
    Wow, that's some powerful stuff. I really respect Mr. K. "Thanks, Mr. K. And, you're right. I need to really knuckle down. I... will you promise to text me or call me if Jake's feeling down and I haven't been around? I love your son like my own brother, and I don't want to abandon him. You know? He's more important that any game."

• The Real World

Mr. K does that quick Japanese "hai!" nod. "I promise I will, but I won't need to. I don't think Jake's going to hide from you, Trev. He's got other load-bearing walls, though. Don't be afraid to do what you need to."

• Trevian
    I nod back, the conversation seems settled. I feel better, refocused. We park at the hospital lot, and briefly consider heading to Reggie's to log in. But I really want to see Jake, so I head in with Mr. K to wait my turn.

To: Reggie I wanna log some time in TSol. Long time. We need to play catchup. Trev
  • The Real World

From: Reggie Great! You coming here to do it? Bring Thai. I'm hungry.

• Trevian

To: Reggie Visiting Jake. Will be over in an hour. Trev

I'll grab Thai, because that's a great idea.
  • The Real World

When you walk into Jake's room, he's in a full-on liplock with Jill. They both pull back and look at you with alarm.

Jake

"Dude! Knock..."

• Trevian
    Oh. Shit.

I step back out into the hall, because I can't unsee that. And I'm not going to listen to them make excuses or whatever. Fuck. Margie. Is this my fault because I was nice to Jill? Probably not. The world doesn't revolve around you, Trevian Marks.
  • The Real World

So, it seems like you've got a few options here, Trev. Do you stay in the hall and wait, retreat to the waiting room, or go back in and confront your best friend and his ex?

• Trevian
    I head back to the waiting room. I don't judge. I feel a little bad for Margie. I'll hang out until she leaves.
  • edited December 2014

The Real World

You rejoin Mr. K in the waiting room. He looks at you quizzically but returns to whatever he's reading on his tablet. What does he do for a living anyway, Trev?

A few minutes later, Jill comes back in. She seems embarrassed, but determined as she walks over to you.

Jill

"Trev, can I talk to you for a minute?"

• Trevian
    He's a graphic designer and tech enthusiast. He's really good at his job, too. Does some 3D work that Eve would drool over. I mean, if she still could... you know what I mean.

Ugh, Jill. I don't want to hear this story. But sure, ok. I stand up, head wherever. I lead off with, "Hey, you two are grown-ups, you don't really owe me any kind of explanation."
  • The Real World

Jill

"I'm not going to make any excuses, Trev, but Jake's going to want to explain. I really just wanted to ask you to let him try. You're his best friend, and it matters to him. Okay? And if you still want to, I'd love that coffee sometime. There's a great little bakery near the law library."

• Trevian
    I listen. I nod. "I'll let him explain, Jill. And I meant it about the coffee." I try and shake off the weird vibes that sight gave me. "As long as you two know the deal, that you're still super busy and he's cool with that, then hey, that's up to you, two." I let the unspoken half of it, the 'and if you're feeding him a bunch of crap about making time for him and then don't' part, well, unspoken.

"It's okay, Jill. Really." It better be, Jill.
  • edited December 2014

The Real World

Jill

Jill nods. You know she's hearing at least some of your subtext. "He's waiting for you, Trev. I'll see you soon." She heads for the elevator.

Jake

When you get to Jake's room, he's sitting up in the bed. "Hey, bro." He smiles weakly. "I love you, dude, but your timing kinda sucks."

• Trevian
    I walk over, pull up a chair beside him. "I didn't expect that I'd be, you know, interrupting anything. I thought you and Margie were good. That you were over Jill. Man, the last thing I want to do is deny you something good, ok?"
  • The Real World

Jake

"Yeah, that kiss was unexpected, for both of us. Remember when we broke up? At first we were just gonna take a break, right? So when I finished it for real, we never really did say goodbye. I guess that's what that was. A goodbye kiss. I always think people sound full of shit when they talk about needing closure, but I guess it's not such bullshit after all. I'm gonna tell Margie it happened, but it's not happening again."

• Trevian
    That didn't look like a goodbye kiss to me, the tiny bit I saw. "Cool, man. One kiss is just a thing. Margie doesn't need to know, if it was a goodbye kiss." I nod, accepting it. I'm not in the habit of thinking Jake's a liar, and it isn't my business even if it is. I'll not mention this to Margie. If it becomes I thing, then I'll talk to Jake about it. Probably.

Shit, I'm just glad to see him up and making out with anyone. This is a small potatoes concern versus other ones I've had for my bro. "We're cool, man. Besides, I came in to tell you that I took your dad out... for a drive! It was supreme." I'll give him the nitty gritty, tell him about Mr. K taking it up to 170. All the good stuff.
  • The Real World

Jake

"Seriously, 170? That's awesome. I told you he'd lose it." He coughs, and it reminds you that he's still awfully weak. "Thanks, bro. I think he really needed that." You chat for a few minutes more before you're interrupted by Jake's doctor and Mr. K.

Jake's dad says, "Doctor Ondugu would like to talk with Jake. You can stay if you like, Trev, if Jake's okay with it." Jake nods and looks at you with widened eyes.

Doctor Ondugu begins, her voice musical and calm. "No worries, Jake, okay? We just have a decision to make. During the accident, you know there was some internal damage, right? Most of that is healing very well after the surgeries and some rest, but I'm afraid the damage to your spleen is not healing as well as we'd like. I'd to recommend a surgical procedure to remove the damaged part, it's called a partial splenectomy." Jake nods that he's following.

She continues. "Now, that can have some repercussions. The spleen acts like a filter for your blood, and plays a really important role in your immune response, especially to infections. A partial spleen normally regains full or nearly full function and keeps doing the job, but in some cases patients need to continue under regular supervision and be very careful about infections, particularly when travelling." Jake nods again, still quiet.

"So, there's a chance that your spleen will heal on its own, but if we delay to see if that happens, it becomes more likely that we'll have to act quickly, do open surgery instead of laparascopic, and more likely that we'll have to remove the whole spleen. Does that make sense? My recommendation is clearly partial splenectomy now. That presents the least risk of impact further down the line, and gives us the most control over the situation. But if you and your family choose, you can go for the gold and hope the organ recovers on its own. Do you have any questions for me? Jake, or Mr. Kurumatsu?" They both shake their heads, quiet and worried. It occurs to you how much Jake looks like his father right now. "Well, I'll let you talk, then." The doctor leaves.

• Trevian
    This is a tough decision. "Doctor Ondugu, what's your recommendation? The partial spleen, right? How often do spleens just, you know, spontaneously recover after this long?" I hope this isn't a money thing. Please tell me it isn't a money thing.
  • edited December 2014

The Real World

The doctor turns back. "Rough probabilities? Should have brought this up, sorry. There's maybe an eight to ten percent chance that Jake's spleen will heal on its own, and if it doesn't, I'd say there would be nearly a forty percent chance that we'll need to perform a full splenectomy. If we do the partial now, there's a documented return to full spleen function within a year in ninety-seven percent of patients. So yes, my recommendation is partial, and soon. Either way will be covered by your insurance, of course." She sighs. "This is one of those cases where I wouldn't even have laid out the choices, really, if it wasn't my ethical obligation to do so. The partial is clearly the right choice in my eyes, so please take that into account."

• Trevian
    I look to Jake, encouraging him to elect the surgery. "Up to you, bro. But I like playing to the odds."
  • The Real World

Jake

Jake looks to his father, then you. Finally his resolve firms. "Doctor, if you say it's the right choice, that's what I choose. I always thought my spleen made me look fat, anyway, might as well cut it down to size." Mr. K nods, and the doctor says, "Excellent. I'll start the arrangements. It will probably be first thing in the morning, so try to sleep well tonight. It really helps."

Mr. K sits down next to the bed and takes his son's hand. He's not going to shoo you out, but this has the look of a private moment.

• Trevian
    "Hey guys, I need to head out." I say, giving them their moment. I do the normal "do you need anything?" and I know they don't, it's just what you say.

Next stop - Thai. I call ahead. Is it bad that I already know what Reggie wants?

Final stop - Reggie's pad. For eating. Then, play. Then... hopefully, more play. Or the brown chicken, brown cow variety.
  • The Real World

Papaya salad and Drunken Noodles for Reggie, then. When you get to her apartment, she's beaming.

Reggie

"The package from Thanatopsis came today! It's addressed to both of us, but I didn't open it, wanted to wait for you."

• Trevian
    I went with pad thai with loads of fish sauce and chili powder, myself.

The package? Exciting! "Oh, thanks for waiting! You can tear it open!" I motion for her to sit on the couch and I slide in behind her as she sits. I move her hair over and start kissing her neck.
  • The Real World

The package is much bigger than you expected, a cardboard box three feet on a side. Inside, there's not just one thing, but several. There's a large stiff envelope marked "From Zero and Eve," and another that just says, "Zero." There's a little plastic box with Erica's name on it, and another from Regina. A thumb drive with Andre's name written on it in Sharpie. A 12 by 12 inch canvas from Deva, wrapped in brown paper. There are also little packages from Jose and Darla. Which one's bigger, Trev?

Jack Aubrey smells food, he's nosing around. He actually rubs against your calf without hissing at you, for once.

What do you open first?

• Trevian
    "And Eve?!?" is the first thing out of my mouth when we see the envelope. I have to open that last. Jose's is bigger than Darla's - natch.

I absent-mindedly reach down to pet Jack Aubrey. "Erica's first?" Unless she objects, that's what we do.
  • The Real World

No objection from Reggie. Erica's box opens to reveal what looks like the life-sized bud of a daisy. When you reach in to pull it out, the heat from your hand seems to activate something and it opens its painted metal petals to blossom into full flower. Reggie lets out an "ooh!" as it happens, and you hand it to her.

Reggie

"Deva next?" She reaches for the paper-wrapped square and opens it. In rusty browns and reds and the greens of algae, it's a picture of a tree in autumnal foliage growing up through the ruins of a gas station.

Your pick next, Trev.

• Trevian
    "Wow! I react to Deva's art. Reggie's place is going to have such awesome stuff!

"Jose next. I'll bet it's a nano-game. Did you see any of his 8-bit mods?"
  • The Real World

You open Jose's little package, and it's the self-same modded handheld Coleco football game that fascinated you back in Detroit. There's a little note, too. "Dude, hoops next time, right? J."

Reggie's getting into it, pulls out Regina's package. Once opened, it's a rather shocking little sculpture of Tinkerbell and Peter Pan in an improbable threesome with Tick-Tock the crocodile.

What's next?

• Trevian
    I bust out laughing, "Oh shit. Which one of us is Tick-Tock?"

I grab Reggie's lil Chromebook and throw in Andre's thumb drive.
  • The Real World

Andre's thumb drive contains a single video file. Two giant, cobbled-together animated machine statues battling in a large arena. This is live-action, by the way. Fists fly, and heads butt, until finally one of the robots/statues/whatever wins by spewing fire at the other, then landing a knockout punch on its jaw. Better than Survival Research Laboratories footage that you've seen from the 90's and aughts, for sure.

Reggie reaches for the 11x14 envelope that has just Zero's name on it. It's a print of an amazing landscape, with all the detail you'd expect, that you gradually realize is an intricately rendered vision of what the area around Thanatopsis would look like if it had kept just gradually decaying away, instead of being rescued by Zero's efforts and Eve's support. Rats and cockroaches, a fox and a coyote, a crow, populate the scrub and small trees that are overtaking the site. Where Deva's painting seemed somehow... triumphant, Nature reclaiming what should be hers, Zero's echoes a sort of despair. The despair of surrender, perhaps.

Darla's little box is the size of a ring-box, and within is a perfectly-crafted enamel 'sculpture' of a jewel-bright hummingbird, with a folded computer-printed slip of paper explaining that it's made from wire, autobody paint, and glass from the abandoned automotive factories of the city.

Just the "Zero and Eve" envelope left. Who opens it, Trev?

• Trevian
    I can't help but comment, "I think Deva and Zero's pieces are great companions. So great."

I let Reggie open it. Ladies first. Plus, I'm busy kissing that lovely, tasty neck of hers.
  • The Real World

Reggie

Reggie giggles a bit, under your teasing, but opens the last envelope anyway. It's another 11x14 print, with Zero's hand obvious in the style. A landscape, again, but nothing you recognize. A jagged, high ridge-line in the far distance, a plain with tall grass in the foreground, and foothills rising up between. Tall narrow evergreens mark the line between flat and the initial gentle slopes of the foothills.

There's a note, too. "T & R. You were the first to find us, and I doubt many others will. This is all I can give you to help, by Eve's wishes and a certain legal document I signed, but I do wish you all the best in your quest. Hope to see you again soon. -Zero"

• Trevian
    "I bet dollars to donuts that this is a picture of a landscape in TSol!" I say excitedly. My hand reaches over her shoulder to point at it. "That looks familiar, right?" The angle isn't a toon's POV, so I need to think it through.
  • edited December 2014

The Real World

Reggie

Reggie squints her eyes, tilts her head left and right, but comes up blank. "No. Nothing that I can see."

You're welcome to make a roll, with the "I don't have a Trait" baseline 2d6, plus a bonus die for your familiarity (and Reggie's) with TSol, against a difficulty of 7. A success means you know for sure if it's TSol scenery or not. A fail means that you just can't be sure. So, that's "roll 3 dice, keep the top 2."

• Trevian
    OOC: I'm using 2 XP from my Pool for the roll to bump it up to five dice.
    (Rolled: 5d6. Rolls: 5, 2, 1, 2, 3. Total: 13)
  • The Real World

You and Reggie look at the print from every angle, and in the end you decide it simply isn't anything you've seen in Twilight Solstice. You feel certain that the particular combination of plains to foothills to the distant, jagged range would be familiar if you'd seen it.

Reggie

Now that you've finished opening all the little surprises, Reggie turns and gives you a sweet kiss. "Missed you today. Anything good happen?"

• Trevian
    I'm in an extraordinarily good mood today. Mr. K and Jake being happy kicked it off, but these presents, it's so great to be loved. "Took Mr. K out in the Tesla, let him drive it. He almost died of a heart attack he was so happy. Jake's doing pretty good, too." I lean in for another kiss. She tastes like Drunken Noodles.

"The place is coming along." I look around at all of the order amid tiny piles of chaos, newspaper bits, empty boxes. She works fast. "How was your day?"
  • The Real World

Reggie

"Well, I think everything's finally unpacked! Just have to break down the boxes and take out a little bit of trash. Talked to my advisors for both degree programs, too. I'm really excited for school to start, but it's going to be pretty busy, Trev." She looks worried as she takes a last bite of Drunken Noodles then closes the half-full container. "Thanks for picking up food." She leans her head on your shoulder and sighs contentedly.

• Trevian
    "It's cool, Reggie." I say reaching a hand around to massage her neck a little. "If you're busy with classes, then I'll flex around it. I've been doing lots of solo stuff lately, seems like the big quest is aimed that way."
  • The Real World

Reggie

Reggie makes happy humming sounds and bends her head forward so you can work on her neck. "Oh... there. So good, Trev. So good." After a few minutes, she sits back up and takes a sip of water. "What do you think it's supposed to do for us, Trev? The picture from Eve and Zero? It can't be central, really, there's no way to expect everyone to just happen to stop past Thanatopsis."

• Trevian
    I move around behind her and slip both hands up to her neck, working at the kinks, "I dunno. Eve's so good at branching paths and multiple solution points normally. But this seems so personal. Maybe it's some side quest? It would be nice if there could be loot drops along the way. I mostly want to know just to know." I lean in and nibble at her ear, hands slipping over her shoulders. "How... tired are you?"
  • The Real World

Reggie

"Tired, but not that tired." Before you go much farther, though, your phone buzzes. Mr. Kurumatsu, of all people.

From: Mr Kurumatsu Thought you should know. Reporters at the hospital.
  • Trevian
    Weird. I look at the message twice. "Shit. Reporters?" I look up at Reggie, "Some reporters at the hospital for some reason."

From: Trev What do they want? Should I come back? I can come back it it helps.
  • The Real World

From: Mr Kurumatsu They were looking for you, already been to the apartment. Sent them away. Told them you moved to Nigeria to join the revolution.
  • Trevian

I chuckle, then hastily text back.

"Well, some reporters came by the apartment, and then the hospital. I guess they don't know about your place, yet." I'm a little wigged, not freaking out, just, you know, wigged. "I think I'll ping Tonya." I wait to see if she objects.
  • The Real World

Reggie

"Shit. Did the soundtrack just go duh-duh-duuhhh? I guess we knew this was going to happen eventually. Do you want to check in with Tandy while I ping Tonya?"

• Trevian
    I nod, dialing Tandy up, "Hey Tandy, it's Trev. Everything ok?"
  • The Real World

Tandy

"Hey! I was just about to call you. There were two people with those video-capture glasses standing outside the apartment door and knocking when I got home from work. I walked right back down the stairs, figured they were reporters. They left a few minutes later. Everything okay with you?"

Reggie's on the phone, mostly listening and nodding every now and then.

• edited December 2014
    Trevian
    "Yeah, it's cool. They went to the hospital, too. Don't worry, I wanted to check in." I look at Reggie, then ask, "You want me to come by the apartment? I mean, I can stay away, too. Your call."
  • The Real World

Tandy

"Nah, it's okay. I've got a date tonight, anyway, and now that I know to be on the lookout I'll be all ninja. Have a good time, Trey-Trey."

Reggie's still talking with Tonya.

• Trevian
    "Whoah now, hold up." I say suddenly before Tandy hangs up. "You have a what now? Who is this stranger?" This is great, she moved on?
  • The Real World

Tandy

There's a smile in her voice as she continues. "Nobody you know. Henry came into the boutique with his mom last week when she came to pick up a dress, and we started talking while she was looking at other things. He's pretty cool. He's a junior at Chapel Hill. Drama, of all things. He's certainly pretty enough for it."

• Trevian
    I smile. Finally. Finally, she's moving on from Dr. Cheater. "He sounds like a catch. You know what they say about boys and their mothers..." This is an ongoing joke we do. One of us starts a suggestive thing that sounds like it's going to be an insult, and the other person comes up with a highly complimentary answer. I love her answers sometimes.
  • The Real World

Tandy

Tandy giggles and you can hear that she's putting her hand over her mouth, even though she's alone. "...well, Trev. They say that if the mother can afford to shop at the boutique as much as she does, the boy is well endowed... with the means to pay for a nice dinner, anyway!" She pauses. "I know that was sort of cheating, but she spends a lot of money on clothes, Trev, and usually pays cash."

• Trevian
    I break out into an old, ollllld rap song, "I aint sayin' she's a golddiggah. But she aint gettin with no broke. Broke." I'm teasing, though. Mostly At least she led off with "cute", but it has me worried a little. Ah well, can't live her life for her. "Have fun, Tandy. I may crash here, so if you need me, send me a message"
  • The Real World

Tandy

"I'm pretty sure I will. Have fun, that is. He's super, Trev. We're hitting the Wednesday Wild World thing, the food-trucks and popup market, then going dancing at a place where his friend bartends, so I should be able to sneak by. I'll send up a bat-signal if I need you." That actually sounds like a pretty cheap date, but certainly fun.

• Trevian
    "That sounds pretty great, Tandy." I agree. "See ya." Then I hang up and wait for Reggie to finish up. Okay, maybe I get back to the neck rub. And, you know, maybe other stuff rub.
  • The Real World

Reggie's done just after you, and hums as you continue the neck rub. "Tonya had some advice and she'll let Oliver know that, as she said, 'It's started.' He'll get in touch in the morning. Are you staying the night? Because I really want you to stay the night. Oh, how's Tandy? Everything good?"

• Trevian
    I get a little thrill when she says she "really" wants me to stay the night. "Tandy ducked the reporters, she's fine. She's better than fine, actually. Has a hot date tonight." I lean in to kiss her. "I'd really like to spent the night with you."
  • The Real World

Reggie

She melts into you. "I'm so glad. Do you mind if we clear out the boxes and the trash first? I'll be able to focus much better if everything's done-done."

• Trevian
    With a grin, I hop up. "Sure, no problem." I head over to grab some boxes, ask her where the trash bags are for all the paper. We can make quick work of this last bit.

Then, we focus.
  • The Real World

You get all the boxes and bits of packing stuff cleaned up in good time.

Reggie

Reggie smiles her thanks as she looks around the room. "That is much better." She flops down on the sofa, pats the seat next to her. "Isn't that better?"

• Trevian
    "It is." I sit by her, really close. "This is a really great place. I'm really thankful for MT. Tonya, too. The whole team. Heh, our team." I slide an arm around her. "I'm going to be logging more time in TSol. I understand you've got school coming at you like a freight train, but TSol is my full-time job now."
  • The Real World

Reggie

Reggie leans into you. "I don't want you to stop enjoying it, Trev, but I think it's a good idea to be a little more systematic and, I don't know, diligent? Oh, Tonya said she's trying to schedule a couple appearances next week. Christmas time, need to pump up Black Marlin sales, right?" She turns to you for a kiss.