[LB] Haven (ALL 1.3)

edited December 2014 in LadyB
All,

We pick up with an external shot of The Owl skimming above the clouds, the light of the star that serves as your sun shining to your port side. Just ahead are the huge smokestacks and ramshackle buildings of Haven, jewel of the Free Worlds.

tourist guide voice:
HAVEN
"The most prominent of the Free Worlds. Here, in the sprawling city hubs, the Trade Union tries to impose some order on the bickering clans and factions of the Free Peoples. Slavery is outlawed here, so many ex-slaves make Haven their home."

Naomi, is Haven anything like you'd heard? What's the most interesting thing you see outside the porthole as you look upon it?

Snargle, other than fueling up The Owl, why did you suggest Haven for a landing spot? Who are you hoping will be here?

Kale Arkam, what are you wanted for on Haven anyways? Did you do it?

Cyrus Vance, who did you leave on Haven the last time you were here? Do you want to see them again?

Lady Blackbird, have you told Naomi, or anyone else, that the Blackbirds have a chalet in the mountains on Haven?

What are you doing as the skyship comes closer to the docks?

Don't forget that you still need to figure out the way to actually enter the Remnants and find the Pirate King. That is, if that's what you're interested in.

Comments

• KaleArkamHeader

Haven, huh? Haven't seen this rock since me an Drabbler greased the Glassblowers for Tansy.

I look up at the Cap and pull my own cap down lower.

You don't think they's the grudge-holdin type, do ya? I--er Drabbler I mean--broke most of the bottles we swiped from em in transit anyways.
  • CyrusVanceHeader

Cyrus looks down at the surface of Haven indifferently. "I ain't never heard of a guild that weren't the grudge-holding type. We may want to stay clear of 'em."

"It's a big place," Cyrus thinks. "No way I'll run into her. She wouldn't even recognize me if I did. It's been a few years." Cyrus pulls out his pocketwatch and clicks it open. He looks at the picture inside, from all those years ago. He was just a lad himself in the picture, and he's standing next to Veloura, holding a little baby girl. He still misses Veloura. Life is unfair, though, and it takes the good ones too young, sometimes.

"She's better off here," he thinks, looking at that little baby girl in the picture. "Julia don't need a man like me in her life. She's better off here with her grandma." He closes the pocketwatch. "How long until touchdown, Snargs?
  • edited December 2014
    LadyB-

I have told Naomi of it when she came into my service. It was my mother's home away from home. A gift from my father. Its only residence now are dust and spider eggs. Still, father keeps it in the family name. I'll mention it to the Captain and his crew, now that I know how the mechanic's eyes glitter at the sight of trinkets.

"My family has a little cottage up there, and everything of value is still inside it." I stop a moment to think. Naomi has told me countless of times I should be less impulsive. "...if I show you were it is, you can have anything inside." I make sure my eyes meet Kale's. "...it's not really the Sky Squids, I wish to see...I wish to go to the Remnants."
  • CyrusVanceHeader

Cyrus turns to look at Blackbird with sad eyes. "Is that what she thinks of me?" he wonders. "That I'll just take anythin' that's not nailed down?" Cyrus looks away, feeling a twinge of shame. "Guess I haven't rightly given her much reason to think otherwise about me, have I? I must look like a common thief to someone like her." Quietly, he says "That would be mighty useful, Blackbird. We can camp out there and then make our way into civilization to pick up any supplies we need. Shouldn't stay too long, though. Eyes everywhere."
  • KaleArkamHeader

Value you say?

I'm startin to like this lady more an more. She seems to've really figured me out.

Best place to stay clear a the Glassmen is in some cottage. Cottage full a valuables.
  • Snargle

"We'll be down in two shakes, Captain Sir."

Snargle wonders whether Hooka ever managed to set up on Haven. It would be good to see Hooka again. Snargle wonders, though, whether an herb shop was the right choice.

It's...a lot dirtier than I had expected it would be, actually. Now, I wasn't expecting the streets to be lined with gold and for the streetlights to be diamonds or anything, but I somehow thought the city would stand out from the Imperial cities -- but there's nothing shining and beckoning about this place... In fact, the only thing worth mentioning that I can see is the wide stretch of green -- a park big enough to get lost in right in the middle of the city. It stands out in sharp contrast to the rest of the gray city around it.

"You've got friends all over, I see," I mutter. Glassblowers, huh? One more thing to be on the look-out for. And just because this here's Haven, it doesn't mean we're safe from the lady's father, either.

If she wants to offer them all of her father's possessions, that's her business, I guess. I don't like it much, but maybe that will keep them happy enough not to turn us in. "How far's your cottage, my lady?"
  • edited December 2014
    LadyB-

I peek through the porthole, pointing to a dark structure. "Up on that mountain. That's where it is." Father had commissioned the builders to use a very expensive wood. I never understood why he did that, and yet insisted it be stained black. Father only saw that it was built. He never once went inside, which is part of the reason why its been abandoned. That, and he had buried mother with the only existing key, so that no one else could enter it.

Or so he thought.

Mother had hidden the real key before her passing, and only I knew about it.
  • edited December 2014
    The Owl settles onto a wooden dock that shudders slightly as the skyship's landing gear touches down. As you disembark, the smells of smoke, grime, animals and masses of people drift your way. The docks are busy with trade, skyships and floating barges loading and unloading.

And no Imperial presence whatsoever.

--------------------------------
    Screen Wipe
    --------------------------------

Jonas parts ways with you, heading to the market to look for work, relatives or old friends, he has a much higher opinion of Haven than you do, Naomi. He bids you all farewell.

You've locked down the Owl and headed through the docks towards the Blackbird cottage. The path Lady Blackbird leads you on is straight through the lovely green park.

There are artistically pruned shrubs and bushes like some huge fanciful frolicking party of different forest creatures. There are fauns playing pipes, dryads dancing in and out of their trees, and many little fairies, boogans and brownies represented. The walking path winds about the display, it's rather beautiful.

Snargle, you passed an herb shop while traveling through from the port through the market district, but it wasn't Hooka's. Hooka probably couldn't afford to be in market proper, right? Where would that shop end up, if you were a betting goblin?

Captain Vance, up ahead in the park, there's a small clearing. You see a dozen children playing hide and seek. There are a couple women in nice dresses and bonnets watching over them. The kids, a mix of boys and girls, duck behind shrubs of elves or centaurs. They're about her age, you'd think.

Naomi, this park is well manicured, but there's a group of men following your group. They look like ragged sailors, probably keeping an eye on the rich lady. Except for the tall, broad one with the claw scars on his right cheek. He's got the eyes of one who has seen battle. He seems familiar, in a way, though you've never seen him.

Kale, that group of sailors, one of them gives you hand sign you recognize. She's telling you something important while looking at the hook-scarred man.
    He's only after the bodyguard. The lady is safe. Stay out of the way

What do you do?
  • edited December 2014
    LadyB-

I don't notice the unsavory sailors. I'm too busy enjoying the scent of fresh flowers. My false name did have some truth. Mother and I loved tending to our garden. I am in the middle of admiring a mermaid made of lilies when I catch glimpse of the Captain. As he watches the children play, I wonder if I have painted him in a bad light. I approach him curiously. "Captain, do you-?"

I become distracted by a particular song the locals are playing on their instruments. "-would you dance with me?"

At first, I wasn't sure if they were following us or if we happened to be going in the same direction -- but my cautious optimism is shattered when we enter the park. A group like that has no reason to go for a stroll in the park and even less of a reason for them to follow our group down the meandering paths. We're lucky it's the kind of day people like to spend outdoors; a group of armed men is less likely to make trouble in front of a crowd like this.

I'm about to bring it up when the lady pauses to listen to some music...and to request a dance. Sometimes, it's hard for me to remember that she's just a girl -- tough, impulsive, fearless, and determined, yes, but just a girl, nonetheless. And a girl deserves a dance in the park. She deserves a chance to be twirled about by a gentleman (or even a captain of a smuggling ship who isn't too hard on the eyes), to laugh, to forget her troubles for just a few minutes on a pretty day.

I watch them for a minute -- I don't want to bother them, so if this can be done while she's distracted and in public like this, more's the better. The rest of Vance's crew, however, won't get off so easy: I swat their shoulders lightly to get their attention.

"Try to look dangerous, gentlemen. We've got some thieves to scare off." I'm not at all sure they're simple thieves, but I'm hoping they are: they'll be easier to scare off. I hope Kale and Snargle fall in line behind me, and then I walk towards the sailors and their leader with my head up, shoulders squared, and an unfriendly look.
  • KaleArkamHeader

My eyes get big. These kittens know the gutter-speak so they can't be all bad. Though they know the gutter-speak so they can't be much good either.

I turn to the Cap to warn him on what's comin but the Lady's ropin him into ballroom dancin. Don't she know we got heat on us?

When Big Naomi slaps my shoulder I jump about 10 feet. I look er over. Is she worth it? She did help us outta the Hand and all. Plus, I gotta complete this mission. I can't let the Cap down again.

Don't think we're the ones in trouble here, Tree-Trunk. I say it quietly and wink. Hopefully that's enough warnin for er.

Then I take a few generous steps away from er. Best to take their advice and stay outta the way of whatever's about to come if I can help it.
  • Snargle

If Snargle was a betting goblin, Snargle would guess that Hooka's shop is in a dark corner of the city, serving the needs and tending the lesser wounds of some of the... less savory elements.

Snargle's thoughts are interrupted when Naomi's hand hits Snargle's shoulder. "Gentlemen? Where Snargle comes from, that's an insult." Snargle takes a look at the toughs and follows Naomi. Wouldn't want to interrupt Lady Freckles and Captain Sir's dance.
  • edited December 2014
    CyrusVanceHeader

Cyrus is staring wistfully at the playing children when Blackbird asks him to dance.

He visibly blushes and stammers for a second. First, he turns and looks at the kids, scanning them, then he absent-mindedly looks at Kale, almost as if he's going to say "you're in charge for a minute," but nothing comes out.

Flatly and quietly, Cyrus says "What, ya, ya... you're askin' me? Well, sure I 'spose." Finding himself a bit, he stops sputtering and his face shifts back into his usual cocksure smile. Cryus holds out his hand, bows deeply, and says "Shall we, Blackbird?"

You can still see the nervousness through it all, but he's positively beaming.
  • OOC: I do think that's a Key of Paragon for Lady Blackbird and a Key of Hidden Longing for Cyrus. Nicely done, you two!
  • Naomi, Snargle and Kale,

The thug with eyes for Naomi looks to his gang and they fan out. None have drawn weapons (yet).

TychusFindlay
    He speaks in a low tone, rumbling bass from his broad chest. "Yer the pit fighter Bishop, yeah?"
  • edited December 2014

"Yeah," I answer, but only after giving him a long, hard look-over. He's obviously the one in charge here -- and he looks like a fighter, besides. "I don't know you, though."
  • edited December 2014
    LadyB-

A man you can dance with is a man you can entrust your life to. Mother regularly said that during my ballroom lessons.

It's been awhile since I've had the opportunity to dance. Not to mention the music being played is suitable for a tango, so I could not resist.

I am a little embarrassed that my bandaged hand is the hand I must rest upon his. The other goes atop his shoulder. I look into his eyes, and I can feel that my cheeks are getting warm. I hesitate a little, waiting for him to lead. That's the proper thing to do, after all.
  • edited December 2014
    Naomi, Snargle and Kale,

TychusFindlay
    He huffs a breath through his big nostrils, "Name's Tychus. My lil sis was Nysa. 'Member her, Bishop?" He glowers. Several of his fellows grip weapons, but haven't drawn them.
  • Snargle

Snargle shifts into a more... Lady Freckles form. Still green, though. "Hush, angry man! Can't you tell it's time for dancing? There's even music." Snargle's arms go out, ready for a tango.
  • Captain Vance,

Other than a bit nervous and elated, how good are you at dancing? Did you dance while you were an officer in the Imperial Navy? Who taught you?
  • edited December 2014
    All:
    This is the music playing:
    Link
  • edited December 2014
    CyrusVanceHeader

Actually, yes, I would say Cyrus knows how to dance, although in a perhaps more rowdy way than the Lady is used to. He's seen nobles dance before, though, and he's doing his best. He is only slightly aware of what's going on with Bishop.
  • edited December 2014

Confusion flitters across my features, then soften into an expression much softer than it had been previously. Nysa. That was a name I hadn't given thought to in a very long time. I didn't often think of any of those I killed or watched die in the pit. What would be the point? They were gone. I was still here, still alive, still fighting...and fighters could ill afford the distraction.

I settle my hand on Snargle's shoulder. I know I had asked them for their help, but it's not needed now. This has nothing to do with the lady or with the Owl: this is about me, even though that feels like another person from a different world who took those actions and who knew this man's sister.

"Yes, I do, Tychus. I knew her well." This was a man who perhaps had seen the pit himself judging from his scars and the look in his eye. Still, I imagined, it would be a hollow comfort for him to hear my words. "She died well. As I'm sure you know."

If I had been slower or if I had reacted differently, it would have been Nysa here with the lady. I still bear the scars of that fight, a trio of wounds from a trident-strike that was meant to kill me.
  • Lady Blackbird and Cyrus Vance,

Your dancing is drawing a small crowd. Some of the children poke heads out from shrubs, their nannies tilt their heads and watch with adoration and a touch of envy. The music swells a bit.

Vance, this is the moment of the tango when you should probably dip her, pull her close, something that draws her body to yours. She's so light, and beautiful. What do you do?
  • TychusFindlay
    His eyes rarely blink, Naomi. "She did. She's in a better place, she is. What're you doin' prancin' about wif a tart that's got a bounty on 'er 'ead?"

"Making sure no one collects that bounty." I figure it doesn't hurt to spell it out for him. He would have found out just as quick if he had tried to attack the lady...but in a less friendly way. I've got no idea if the lady and captain are still enjoying their dance, or if they've noticed our absence, nor do I turn to look: my eyes remain on the possible threat before me. "You here for her or for me?"
  • edited December 2014
    KaleArkamHeader

I take a few steps back an watch Tychus an Naomi. Looks close enough to a fight startin that it's gettin me queasy.

I look over at the Lady and Cap dancin real nice across the way. Somethin about that makes my stomach feel even worse.

I jus keep starin down the two storms developin in front of my eyes and chew up my lip. Why ain't we goin to that mansion with all them riches yet?
  • CyrusVanceHeader

Cyrus never could resist playing to a crowd. It's just in his nature. And twirling a beautfiul lady like this in front of a group of fine folks looking for a show? It's enough to make a man almost forget his station...

The Captain swings Blackbird around in a circle, dipping her as he does, then pulls her close, pressing her right up to him. He smiles a wry grin and whispers "You know, you ain't a poor dancer, considerin' yer disadvantage of havin' learned at those stuffy society parties, Blackbird."
  • edited December 2014
    LadyB-

I chuckle darkly. "I could say the same about you, Captain." I hook a leg around him, my thigh against his hip. "...and I despise those stuffy society parties, and stuffy society folk...well, most of them." My thoughts wander briefly to Isobel, who was a better friend than I cared to admit, and the eldest daughters of the Whitethorns. Twin girls that would date the same man, and break up with him if he couldn't tell them apart. "Why do you think pampered little me ran away from home?"

It was also to escape my arranged marriage, and to reunite with Uriah. Sadly, Uriah was not fond of dancing, nor did he really know how. I suppose he was too busy rebelling against the Empire to be trained in such things. Still, he could do away with my corset with nothing but his grin.

I rest my cheek atop the Captain's chest as we continue to twirl and dance about. I allow myself to forget why I left the comforts of home, submersing myself in the music, and the embrace of this man.
  • Snargle

Apparently, no one wants to dance with Snargle, which is disappointing but not really surprising. Snargle settles into watch-and-wait mode, taking cues from Naomi.
  • Naomi,

TychusFindlay
    "Not 'ere for 'er." He answers enigmatically. "Did she tell you anythin'? Afore she died?"

Snargle,

One of the ruffians, a thin boned male with a hawk nose, gives you a sly wink. "Ya don't recognize me, do ya, Snargle?" He asks the question in a stage whisper.
  • Snargle

Snargle will play along. Snargle "whispers" back. "No. Is Snargle supposed to recognize you?" Wink.
  • Snargle,

(This is the winking-whispering guy)
    photo Chris_DAmico2_zps77568c0a.jpg
    "Nope!" he whispers back. The guys near him are staring at him, obviously not in on this joke or whatever it is. "It's me. Micah!" His eyes shift to green, and he winks again. He's a goblin, Snargle, a relative. What did he take from you the last time you were together?
  • edited December 2014

All this dancing around the subject is making me uneasy. I'm used to things being pretty straight-forward: people are usually pretty direct in trying to kill me or the lady or both of us; we don't usually share a civilized conversation beforehand.

And it was such an odd question... For a moment, I have to think back...but the memory resolves itself quickly, and I shake my head in the negative. "She died fast." And with a wound like that, even if she had wanted to say something, I doubt she could have.

But I'd known her long before that day, and she did like to talk. The rest of us tried to be tough, tried to stay isolated and hard...but Nysa was just the opposite...or, maybe, she just talked enough for all of us. And when she talked, there was a lightness to it, a warmth like a stray beam of sunlight. On some days, her voice was the only color the pits saw. I'd almost forgotten that somehow...

"But, before, she told me many things. She was a helluva storyteller," I tell him with a fond smile for the sudden revival of the memory. "She had this way about her, you know? No matter how tired you were, you wanted to stay up to listen. And she knew it too." My smile fades abruptly. Oh, but this was something long gone, something private we had shared, and I am letting myself get lost in a memory when it would do me no good. Nysa was just one more fighter in the pit who didn't deserve to be there, just more blood on my hands that the Imperials had already forgotten... "She was sold before that fight, though. I hadn't seen her in months."
  • Naomi,

TychusFindlay
    Tychus looks at you for a long moment, then nods, "You carry her stories wif ya, Bishop. Don't e'er forget 'em." He turns to stalk off, back to the docks. His fellows, a little surprised since they were itching for a fight, hesitate, but follow.

Snargle,

Except Micah. Who continues grinning for a moment until he realizes he's all alone. Then he gives you a quick wave, turns, and hustles to catch up to his little gang.
  • Lady Blackbird and Cyrus Vance,

Like all good songs, this tango finally comes to an end. How does this dance finish? Who is holding whom?
  • edited December 2014
    Snargle

Micah walks away, but Snargle calls out. "Does Micah still have Snargle's egg? Is it still safe? Micah promised!"
  • Micah-header
    "Micah planted it!" Micah replies loudly, "At the village!"
  • CyrusVanceHeader

As the music draws to a close, Cyrus twirls Blackbird under his hand and then pulls her close, only the faintest bit aware of what happened just a few feet away with Naomi and Snargle. Suddenly, as if the world came flooding back, Cyrus loosens his grip on Blackbird and blushes, somewhat.

"Well, that was a fine distraction," he says, looking down at his feet.
  • edited December 2014
    LadyB-

As our bodies part ways, I take his hand, the one that's missing a finger, and give it a gentle squeeze before letting go. "...thank you for the dance." I step away then, my cheeks pink as I twirl a lock of hair with my finger. "...I...I suppose we should head to the cottage now."
  • KaleArkamHeader

I rush over and step right in the middle of the Lady and Cap. The Lady has to take a half step back. Uh, oops.

Yup. Good idea in my eyes. Got a touch of the unsavory back there. Best to just keep movin. Right, Cap?
  • CyrusVanceHeader

Cyrus looks at Kale with a visible smidgen of bewilderment, then at Blackbird, then back to Kale.

"Yes. Yes. Let's do that. Head to the cottage."
  • --END SCENE--