[SWAW] Gotcha (19)

Eriadu
Factory Control Planetary logs:
Eriadu is the primary world in the Seswenna sector, and one of the Outer Rim's most active trade centers. It sits on the intersection of several hyperspace routes, including the Rimma Trade Route, the Hydian Way, the Lipsec Run, and the Yankirk Route. Eriadu is covered in rugged landmasses and small seas. Its surface is full of dirty industry and waste zones that pollute its atmosphere, land and sea. This is a result of the worlds law makers competing to make it as impressive as city-worlds like Coruscant. The planet has many large cities, a moon, and s mall shipyards. As a result of its past history of strong Imperial sentiment, the world is under control by Krayt's Empire. Its strategic location at the intersection of several trade routes makes it an economic powerhouse, providing a large income boost to whoever controls it. Its small shipyards also help to reduce construction time of light craft such as fighters and corvettes.

Comments

• edited January 2015
    You're on final approach, following a long line of cargo ships and passenger liners heading to a well-orchestrated landing sequence. It's almost as busy as Coruscant, but not nearly as picturesque.

Jojee
    Jojee looks over,"You think FC will be able to track Sark on this dustball? It's a biiig planet."

"I have faith, Jojee. Let me go check." I head to the engine room to check in. "Control? My engineer's got everything under control. Can we talk about next steps for pinpointing Sark's shuttle?"
  • edited January 2015
    Factory_Control
    You head back into the Workshop to speak with Factory Control. "Captain, I was able to track the transponder codes to the docking bay where I directed your pilot to land the Profit Margin. However, the computer banks that control the rather impressive dock are separated from the control tower to protect them from splicers. This means I am unable to access the exact location of Captain Sark's ship. Your options are to aide me in gaining access to a physical terminal connected to the docking computer banks, or you will need to continue the search with your crew through more direct methods."

"For now, we'll land and see what we can see. If need be, we'll get you to a terminal after we look around."
  • Factory_Control
    "Understood, Captain. I will remain in contact with you as you leave the ship."

"Thank you, Factory Control. I'll have Jojee go ahead and put down, then, and we'll get this show started." I make my way back to the captain's chair and do just that. "You're good to land, Jojee. We have a few options for finding Sark's shuttle, but I think we'll start with some low-tech 'looking around' first."
  • In a few moments, the Profit Margin has landed and you've gotten the "all clear" to disembark. Squall's sticking around for post-flight checks unless you say otherwise.

Any speech / assignments to the team?

With the details on Sark's shuttle, Jojee, Hosk and I are heading out separately to look. Amy's in charge of figuring out Plan B, which is getting FC access to the segregated dock computers. No speech, just assignments.
  • Alright, Ladro. Let's see if you can hunt down Sark. You have never been this close!

When you hunt for Sark and he doesn't know you're coming, roll+Sharp. On a hit, you find him! Choose options. On a 7-9, choose one. On a 10+, choose two.
    - You learn why he's here
    - You don't tip off other Imperial authorities
    - He doesn't see you coming

On a miss, trouble. The MC will detail.
  • The Hunting of the Sark

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 6, 2. Total: 9)

It's Squall that puts the pieces together, realizes off the comms that our search patterns haven't quite overlapped, and there's one area as yet uncovered just as we think we've done all we can. "Squally, you are amazing!"

Adding one by spending 1-bond with Squall. That makes a 10. I choose not tipping off other Imps and Sark not seeing us coming.

The four of us that are out will converge on Sark's location. Hosk and Jojee provide cover, and Amy and I go in.
  • edited January 2015
    Squall chirps back over the comms merrily, "Thanks, Captain! FQ overlooked it, too, so don't feel bad."

You're the first to spot him visually, Ladro. He's in a seedy bar called Elo's Tomb, frequented by spacers mostly, the kind of place where nobody remembers your name. He hasn't seen you coming, even though he's positioned at a table to see the front door, near the bathrooms. You know that mug of his, even though he's not in uniform. Unmistakable.
    elas_Tomb

He's meeting with someone, a shapely female with her back to you, she's in a flightsuit, but you see pale pink skin, dark hair, and she looks familiar. Also, Ladro, you spot Seesk at the bar.

Amarath's got her hand near her blaster, she's going to draw down if she sees an opportunity. Hosk is moving to the bar, trying to play casual, but you know he's watching. Hosk hasn't spotted Seesk.

What do you do?

This is not good. If Seesk's at the bar, I can guess who that is Sark is meeting with. And out of uniform? I catch Hosk's eye and nod toward Seesk, then shake my head at Amarath. I know she'll do whatever she wants in the end, but I don't want blasters out yet.

Not much of a way to sneak up on Sark, so I simply cross the distance as quickly as I can without calling attention to myself. When I get to the table, I say, "Good evening Leeadra, Sark."
  • edited January 2015
    Sark sees you, but he's cool as can be, continuing his conversation. He spots Amarath as well.

Leeadra
    Lee jumps when she hears your voice, turning around to see you, "Ladro? Hey! Wait..." she glances over at Sark, then back to you, "Your name is Sark?"

Sark header
    "Hello, Captain Shade." Sark says smoothly. He glances at Amarath, "Hello, Amy. Why don't you two have a seat? Drink with us."

Leeadra
    Lee narrows her eyes, "Ladro, we're doing business. Can you give us a few minutes?"

Amarath ignores Lee, grabbing a chair, flipping it around to sit on it backwards, her blaster out, but pointed at the floor, somewhat concealed from most people nearby, but definitely showing it to Sark.

Sark header
    Sark gives her a look, then taps his head with his fingers, like "don't forget".

I sit, taking a moment to compose myself, eyes never leaving Sark's. "Lee, go away. If he's still alive in five minutes you can conclude your business."
  • Leeadra
    Lee looks over at you with a bit of ire in her voice, saying, "Ladro! I don't kriffing need you to protect me. I've got this."

I slam my hand on the table to get Lee's attention, but my voice is still low and my eyes are still on Sark. "Lee, get the kriff out of here, or I'll have Amarath drag you back to Seesk."
  • Threaten: Ice Cold

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 4. Total: 11)
  • edited January 2015
    Leeadra jerks when you slam your hand, and she seethes for a second before rising and quickly moving away. Amarath stays where she is.

Sark sees you, but he's cool as can be, continuing his conversation. He spots Amarath as well.

Sark header
    Sark steeples his hands, "So tell me, Ladro. How did you see this reunion going?" He's acting as if he isn't twice karked over right now.

Amarath-header
    "Please let me shoot him..."

That calm should be infuriating, but it isn't. Somehow I manage to channel it, emulate it. "Save your banter, Sark. I'm here to tell you it's over. The bomb comes out of Amarath's head and you never have anything to do with me or mine again, or I will make a very convincing argument to the ISB that you're working for the Alliance."
  • Sark header
    Sark grins a tight grin that vanishes quickly, "Amarath is such an impressionable young lady. Are you sure she has a bomb in her head? I'm sure there isn't much gray matter in that skull of hers, but you think someone could fit a... I don't know, a thermal detonator in there? With a deadman switch keyed to me? That would be unwise. I'm sure I lied to her about that." He looks over at Amarath, she grips the tip of her chair, itching to do something. Then back to you, "If you think I'm working for the Alliance, then you should definitely report me. It's your civic duty."
  • edited January 2015

"Sark, you're smarter than I am. You're more connected than I am. You're more experienced than I am. You're more ruthless than I am. Given everything I know, I have to assume that this moment is an endgame of some sort. That you have always expected to wind up sitting across a table from me just like this. Probably with Amy sitting next to me. So, why don't we skip the evasions and the threats and cut to the part where you either gloat about how you've already won or you tell me what's really going on."
  • Sark header
    Captain Sark gives that tight grin again, "Ladro, I must admit. We're having this conversation much sooner than I anticipated. Either you're luckier, or more resourceful than I expected. I'm surprised you hired on your Keshiri friend, after she admitted to spying on your movements for me. That is very magnanimous of you. Did the lieutenant make it safely to his destination?" There's a hint in his tone, like he's actually curious about that answer, that he doesn't know.

"He did. Am I going to regret that?"
  • Sark header
    "Are you a Rebel?" he asks with mild curiosity,

"Are you?"
  • Sark header
    He sets his jaw, "Don't you have copious evidence that I am?"

"I do. And I am, or at least a fellow traveler." Sometimes the only way to stop fencing is to lower your sword.
  • Sark header
    With a slight nod, he says, "Then you won't regret it." He seems to take a breath, as if the match is over. "We are both fellow travelers, Ladro."

Amarath-header
    Almost whining, "Please let me shoot him..."
  • edited January 2015

I stare for a few long seconds. "Even if we share goals, I should let Amarath take that shot. You've put me in a position where I was forced to choose repeatedly between betraying trusts and suffering harm to myself and people I cared about. I don't care if you're the best weapon in the Alliance's arsenal, you're evil." I pause, look to Amy for a brief moment, then back. "And if you call me naive, I'll shoot you myself."
  • Sark header
    He leans back slightly, nods. Looks over at Amarath for a moment. "You should? You won't. You're far too shrewd, Ladro, and we both know it. If you were planning on murdering me, I would already be dead. Right?"

He delivers the following lines in a clipped, assured tone,, "As for your original demands. I shall leave you and yours alone. I will send you the codes for Amarath's cybernetics so you can safely operate. We will never see each other again."

With that, Sark scoots back in his chair as if to leave. Amarath's relaxed a bit, the last part of his speech causing her to holster her blaster.

What do you do?

As he stands, so do I. I come at him fast, remembering the beating he gave me on Falleen Throne, his precision. One punch to the jaw, as hard as I can deliver. As he registers that, I surprise myself by saying, "One more, Sark. If you need us one more time, for something important where the Margin or I are the only key that fits the lock, contact me. Directly. And use your real name. No time soon, mind you. I've got business to conduct."
  • Sark header
    The punch is solid. Sark falls back into his chair, then down to the ground. He looks up quick, expecting something more. But you're not hitting him, and he starts getting up slow, listening.

Amarath-header
    Amarath chuckles, "You just made my week, Ladro." She stands up, sneers at Sark.

Sark header
    "I'll message you the codes to get Amarath checked out." Sark says, working his jaw a little. The bridge of his nose has some blood on it, too. "Enjoy your business. And please send Captain Navaro back over when you leave."

Without responding to either "Sark" or Amarath, I turn and walk back to the bar, to Leeadra and Seesk. When I get there, I grip Seesk's forearm in greeting and affection. "Seesk, Leeadra, I've missed you both. Truly." I transfer my attention to Lee. "Sorry for karking up your meeting, Lee. His nibs will see you now, but I'd strongly suggest that you walk out, instead." She's a big girl, making her own choices. I'm the one that left.
  • edited January 2015
    Seesk punches your arm lightly, a hint of a smile on her large mouth.

Leeadra
    Lee opens her mouth to snap something, but closes it, exhales sharply, then looks away, "Girl's gotta pay the bills, Ladro." She looks back over, a sudden shift in her mood, "Hosk says you've got a ship now? And is this you girlfriend?"

Amarath-header
    "Hah! Not his girlfriend. In fact, you have a better chance of bedding me than he does, pretty pretty." Amarath wiggles her one eyebrow at Lee. Lee gives her a bit of a confused look.

I shove Amy lightly and give Lee a hug. "I said my piece, Leeadra. Just watch your back, okay?" I nod to Amy and Hosk, punch Seesk on the shoulder, and walk out.
  • Amy, in a rather good mood, plays off the shove with a dramatic flair. Lee squeezes you in the hug. She pecks your cheek lightly. As you leave, she walks over to Sark's table.

Hosk and Amarath fall in behind you. Well, Amarath is totally checking out Lee's space heinie.

I have enough answer to go along with, and a promise that I believe from someone that doesn't deserve the trust. Don't know the whole story, but when do you ever know that? It was no use to try and get a read on "Sark," he's too good, too... compartmentalized. No way to protect Leeadra, without doing something she'd never forgive me for. Just hoping that whatever job he offers her is something that doesn't break her down.

As for me? As we make our way back to the ship, my step gets gradually lighter. I didn't end the bad guy... the world isn't black and white... but I literally feel as if a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.
  • As you're heading down the walkway towards the Profit Margin, Hosk hangs back, watching your shebbs and making sure things are still safe.

Amarath-header
    Amarath moves up beside you, "Alright, blasting an Imp in a crowded bar, that I understand. Really, I do. But... telling him you're up for a job? Even down the road? Why in the karking hells did you do that, Captain Ladro Shade?"

I put my arm around Amy's shoulder, jovial. "He's a sleemo alright, but you have to admit... some of those jobs were fun." I chuckle.
  • Amarath-header
    Amarath flinches when you put your arm around her, but relaxes after a second. She grins up at you, "I did some work for him before you. Did I tell you about the speeder bike chase?" She grins, falls in step with you.

"I had just planted a few gifts for some boys in white at their brand new depot, but one of them spotted me. We were in the jungles of Kashyyk, so I nicced one of their speeder bikes, and we took off through the trees. It was amazing, zipping in and out, over the forest canopy, under fallen log overhangs. He called in reinforcements. At one point, I had three of them on my tail. I had to ditch, jump off into a fast-moving river, then fake it like I went over the falls!" She slaps her hands together and grins.

I get the same grin Amy has. There's no way to really explain how light I feel right now. Not only is "Sark" off my back, but I've confirmed to a reasonable degree of certainty that I haven't actually been working for the Empire for months and months. "Amarath, that's karking brilliant." I keep walking.

Sure, I worry a bit about Lee and her crew, but no matter how much I wish I could, I can't be responsible for everyone.
  • You make it back aboard the Profit Margin, Squall comes out to greet you at the ramp.

"Are we sticking around? We had to pay docking fees already."

Factory_Control
    Factory Control comes over the comms, "Captain Shade, we just received a transmission from Captain Sark. It's a code sequence."

Really, no one asks about the confrontation? "It went great, thanks. All taken care of." I answer Squall first. "Might as well stay for a bit. Avoid Elo's Tomb if you go out, though." Then FC. "That should be the codes for Amarath's cyber. Mind helping her check it out, make sure there's not ACTUALLY a bomb in that karked up head somewhere?"
    "Oh, thank the Force it worked out! I mean, I sort of assumed since you actually returned."

Factory_Control
    "I am happy to assist Amarath Shade with her cybernetics. Please send her to the infirmary and I will be there shortly."

Amarath heads that way. Hosk hangs around the bottom of the ramp. He's going to find a bar, it's pretty obvious. Are you joining him or do something else?

"Hosk, my friend. Let's get drunk." I tell Squall, "I am not keeping my poodoo together tonight. Someone may have to come carry me home. Understood?"
  • edited February 2015
    Hosk chuckles, "Don't you worry, Lad. I'll get you home safe. Let's go."

Jojee
    "Hey! Wait up!" your pilot calls as she comes around the corner. "You're not really going to get trashed without me, right?"

"With or without, Jojee. Your choice. Hosk, you have a nose for the best seedy bars. You lead the way."
    "That one's easy, Lad. I know five different dives in Eriadu. Spent my fair share of time here back during the War." He sniffs the air, as if it would help with the decision. "Tonight. We go to the Ragged Flagon."

Jojee
    Jojee snickers, "I hope there are some cute guys there. If it's full of ugly beasts, I'm taking it out of your hide, Hosk." She throws an arm around you, "Your big brother got this girl hot and bothered. I am going to hook up with the hottest guy I can find!" She cackles a bit, and Hosk leads the way.

What level on the galactic scale do you hit when Lee, Rana Mas and Seesk come into the Ragged Flagon? Is Jojee still there?

"Second hottest, Jo. I'll be the hottest guy there. Pretty sure, anyway."

When the Libation contingent shows up, I'm at about a six. I'm aware of Hosk monitoring me, but he's letting me run. Jojee, on the other hand, is gone. She left at a mere three, with, yes, the second hottest guy in the bar. (Not sure if I was the first, or the Zeltron. He looked pretty hungover when he walked in, so I'm telling myself it was me.)

"Lee, Seesk, Rana Mas! What the kriff is up? Come give me some love! Let me buy you a Pangalactic Gargleblaster!"
  • edited February 2015
    RanaMasLesob-header
    "Music to my aural receptors, Ladro!" Rana Mas replies as he heads over to take a seat at your table. Seesk gives that grin of hers, and Leeadra huffs a laugh at your state when she comes over. She seems a bit reserved at first, but your jovial demeanor wins her over quickly.

Seesk is eager to catch up on your Clan series, if you're willing. Rana Mas is happy to entertain Hosk, the two hit it off quickly. What do you tell Lee when she asks about Jojee?

I gladly chat with Seesk about The Young and the Clanless. They recently introduced a new character, a charismatic near-human local politician named Abel Ra'an, who I can't stand. Seesk seems to like him, though. The argument is a delight.

I tell Leeadra that Jojee seems to be doing well. She's flying like a champ, taking the ship seriously. "Of course, she's still plenty wild when she cuts loose."
  • Leeadra
    Lee raises her glass, "I'm sure she is. To absent friends!" She downs the gargleblaster, but you get the sense she's playing off the hurt of you taking her pilot. Free booze does make things easier to take.

Seesk cuts in with, "Can you believe they brought his grandfather back from the dead? Or do you think he's just imagined? It looks like other people react to him, right?" It's obvious she's been holding in all the YatC talk for a while.

Meanwhile, over with Hosk, Rana Mas is jabbering away. Hosk is nodding, listening while staying alert and not drinking.

Leeadra
    A bit later, after a couple drinks, Lee asks, "How're you holding up, Ladro? Running your own ship getting to you yet?"

I go full-on fan with Seesk for a while. I haven't had anyone to talk to about TYatC, either. So nice to be able to share one's guilty pleasures, yes? When Lee asks her question, though, I give her my full attention. Seesk understands, I'm sure.

"Of course. From day one, really. It's hard, and I've been juggling some other stuff, too. Family and more. But everyone's doing their jobs well, and I really feel like I've finally found what I was meant to do." I take a sip. "How about you, Lee? How are you holding up?"
  • Leeadra
    Lee downs another drink, "I'm good, Ladro. Really good. Rana Mass is all you promised and more, take that as good and bad, I guess. We're still smuggling, so I picked up a couple more crew to handle security. They might be along later. Maybe." You realize she doesn't know Squall's on your crew, since she's only seen Amarath, Hosk and knows Jojee's around.

Something about the way Lee says "smuggling," something about the way she says "security," something about the way she says "maybe." I know I'm slurring a little, but I ask anyway. "Are you really really good, Lee?"
  • Read a Person, -1 for drunk (so, +0)

(Rolled: 2d6. Rolls: 2, 4. Total: 6)
  • Leeadra
    Lee scoots closer, her smile widening, "Captain Shade... I'm really, really good," she purrs. Her hand slips down to run along the inside of your thigh, "I would love... a tour of your ship. Captain."

Even drunk, I know this would be a Bad Idea, but that hand feels really nice, and my body has its own reaction to that. I swallow involuntarily and look to Hosk, hoping he'll notice the look and come to my rescue before I do something I'll regret.
    Hosk calls over, "Lad, you look torn up. Sure you don't want to walk it off?"

Leeadra
    Her hand moves up farther. She leans over, "Ladro, c'mon. You know I won't hurt you. What's a little fun between captains?" She's done that lean-forward-so-ample-cleavage-shows thing with her flightsuit.

If I wasn't hoping to see Ahji Dar soon, I don't think I'd be able to even try to stop this, but since I do hope to be with my kitten, I manage to choke out, "I think Hosk is right." I stand up and head for the toilets.
  • Leeadra doesn't try to stop you, she sits back in her seat, a slightly frustrated look on her face. Hosk follows you to the bathroom.

Do you actually get sick?

I don't quite get sick, but I do lean on the sink for a bit and splash water in my face. "You know Hosk," I slur, "There's such a thing as too many beautiful women. Who knew?"
  • edited February 2015
    Hosk agrees, "Aye, Lad. Any sum greater than one, I've found." He watches you for a moment, to make sure you're alright, then asks, "Want to sneak out, find a different watering hole?"

"Hosk, you're my hero. Lead on."
  • You two giggle like schoolkids as Hosk picks a path through the kitchen and out of the bar. He starts singing an old battle hymn while you walk through an alley past beings more wasted than you and enter another bar without a cover and without checking the name.

This one's a rough cantina. If you like, you can carouse. Otherwise, Hosk will chat with you as you tie one on, then help you back to the ship.

I think carousing is the whole point, yeah? I'll spend 1-Cred.

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 3, 2. Total: 7)
  • I get an opportunity for some work
  • This guy's named Cadillac.
    Cadillac

He was at the bar when you and Hosk sidled up. You overheard him complaining to the bartender (a chubby and bored Twi'Lek male) about how the systems at his store are on the fritz, and any engineer he calls quotes a price out of his budget, just because of the area he lives in. He lives in the "inhuman zone", a stretch of tenements where immigrated species can afford to live. He runs a small grocery store there, trying to make ends meet. And now, he's worried about trouble, and his store's losing credits hand over fist.

He's offered 1-Cred for what would take Squall half a day to fix. Shorter for FC (don't tell Squally).

I tell Cadillac we'll take care of the problem, and tell Hosk to remind me. I'll have Squall do the job, with Amy as "backup," since it's not the best neigborhood. I try best I can to let Hosk know that's the plan, in case I forget by tomorrow.

"So, right, got jus' the enjneer to take care a your prollem, like I said... did I say that, Hosk? Yeah."
    With a pat on your back,Hosk answers, "Aye, you did. One thousand credits for the work, and if anyone puts the crew in actual danger, we reserve the right to ditch the job at half the fee." Cadillac agrees, and seems relieved. He makes some excuse about getting the store ready and heads on.

Hosk watches him go, then says in your ear, "Lad, you're approaching seven now. Want to keep going or call it a night? I'd say Squall and Amy are done kriffing. No telling about Jojee, since she hooked up with a Zeltron."

"Kriffing Zeltrons... never liked... Hosk, I think I should get some sleep. Remind me to remind you to remind me about the thing. Th'Squall thing. Right?"
  • edited February 2015
    "You're just jealous, Lad. It's alright. Zeltrons are just as useless as most beings..." Hosk helps you off your stool and puts a steadying arm around you, "What's the Squall thing? To steer clear of Lee?"

I shake my head loosely. "No, no no. Fixing th'thing for th'guy. That thing. Y'think Squall sh'steer clear o' Lee? Tha's prolly not a bad idea. Tho Lee can go kriff herself if she gives any poodoo. Hey, if Lee's kriffing herself, maybe I c'n watch! Tha'd be something right?"
    Hosk shakes his head at your speech, his fuzzy ear brushing against your neck as he does, "Hah, yeah, Lad. I'll make sure the little vornskyr gets the job done, don't fret. I'm your first mate, it's my job."

"Thanks, Hosk. You're the bes' firs' mate I ever had. Serisly."
  • Hosk chuckles again, moving on with you. He begins singing that battle hymn again, do you join him this time? It's pretty repetitive, easy to follow along. The chorus is about telling something it's already dead, kicking the corpse in the head, pretty morbid. But catchy.

Regardless, you make it up the ramp and stumble into your quarters. Hosk guides you to your bed, even helps take your boots off of you.

Hosk puts our boots at the edge of your bed, then stands over you, "The rest is up to you, Lad. You need a sick bucket?"

You hear the gasping moans of Jojee echoing from her quarters, a male grunting in time with it. Sounds like she's slapping the walls, too. Or something. Hosk shakes his head.

"You and your brother got her riled up something fierce. She's going to drain that boy dry."

I lean back, lying out full length on the bed with my clothes still on. "Think I shoulda kriffed 'er, Hosk? Lee, I mean, or mebbe Jo-jo-jo."
    In that drunken haze, it feels like half an hour before Hosk answers, "Lee? Definitely. Definitely should've kriffed her. Jojee? Nope. No way. That would ruin the crew. Dont' druk where you eat. Jojee needs to feel independent, you know? Ah Lad, go to sleep." He leans down to pull a blanket off the floor where you'd kicked it, tosses it over you.

That seems like a really good idea. "'Night, Hosk."
  • --END SCENE--