[NOVA] Heavy Weights (M 5.1)

Mei, you've been in the Gray for two days, settling back into your familiar routines. You're just finishing up your warm-down stretches in the gym when Church walks in, in his own workout clothes.

"Ah. Ensign Mei. How was your workout?" He starts unshipping the free weights and pulls the bench out from where it cleverly folds into a niche in the wall. He's distracted, but performs those rote tasks with his usual economy of motion. "Do you have a few minutes to spot me? I'm doing high-weight reps today."

Comments

• Mei-header

The routine helps me find my self. Things are different. But things are the same. Weights still move with effort. Muscles still move with will.

Church must've seen the zerogee light finally go off- I'm building a routine, thinking about the ridiculous expense of a spacefaring swimming pool, before the timer went off to push me back to gravity work.

During the cooldown, I work my hair back into a tight double row bun as he comes in.

"Just fine, Mr. Church." I step over to assist with the weights, wondering if there's bad news from the brass. "Certainly."

Church adjusts the bar to considerably more weight than you're used to seeing him use. He starts with bench presses and you're glad that you stuck around to spot, because he's really punishing himself by the third rep, sweating and grunting in a most un-Church-like fashion. When he can't quite make the sixth rep, he curses under his breath and lets you help settle the bar into the rack.

Eyes tight, Church stands and moves into position to start a set of squats. You're not an expert, perhaps, but the weight he dials in is clearly too much.

What do you do?

• Mei-header

"Stop," I say loudly, shaking my head. My hands are already out. "You've got too much, too fast." I'll reach around to dial the weight down before he hurts himself.

Again, I'm reminded we have no medico...

Church settles the bar in the rack and turns around quickly. His mouth opens to say something sharp, but you watch him take two seconds to regain his usual composure. Instead of speaking, he simply turns back, settles the bar on his shoulders with the weight you dialed in, and starts doing a rapid, panting set of first standing and then lunging squats.

By the time he finishes and drops the bar, his muscles are quivering. You can see it... quick little tremors across the tightly stretched fabric of the back of his sweat-soaked shirt. He leans forward, hands on his knees, and works to slow and deepen his breath.

• Mei-header

He's got more definition than I realized, I think, watching his muscles. "Better?" I ask, not unkindly. I hand him a water bulb from the dispenser.

Church accepts the bulb, squeezes a bit of water into his mouth, then pushes the button that extends the pull-up bar from the gym wall. He leaps up to grab it and starts a series of straining knees-bent chinups. He counts under his breath, and as he reaches twenty-seven, it looks as if he's not going to make it all the way. He pulls and grunts and just as his nose comes even with the bar, his left hand loses its grip. He falls to the mat when his right hand gives up, as well.

Church lies on his back, blowing hard breaths. After a few seconds he levers himself up using the wall, then shakes his head. "Not better." Grabbing his towel, he turns to leave the gym.

• edited April 2015
    Mei-header

"Sorry to hear it, Church. I was finishing up... if you prefer to be alone?"

I suppose I can take a PTA bath if he's headed for the shower. Should I pack up the room? My hand hesitates awkwardly by the controls.

I shouldn't pry. We all have storms in our heads.

There's the slightest hitch in Church's step, but he continues out the door, letting it whisper closed behind himself.

You're alone in the gym, Mei.

What do you do?

• edited April 2015
    Mei-header

I finish the hand motion to the room controls, resetting the gym for the next person. Out of habit, I recycle Church's bulb and get one fresh for myself before following out the door. It doesn't take that much time and I'm in the hallway too.

Maybe Church didn't want to be alone? a small voice in my head asks.

I match pace with Church, I suppose he's headed to his quarters. Like me. Just regular people. "Um, I can spot you again. Next time. If you like." I glance at him to see how he is.

Church pauses in his step. "Thank you, Ensign Mei, I appreciate the offer. Would you like the shower first?"

• edited April 2015
    Mei-header

I duck my head. I must reek. "Yes, very much. Thank you."

Church nods, his usual controlled demeanor back in place. "Very well. Enjoy the rest of your day, Ensign Mei." He turns and continues toward his quarters.

• I nod, then turn on my heel and head straight to the shower to indulge, worry, regret, and think.
  • ---End Scene---