[ShadowFate] The Hunt and the Hunted (5.1)

imageLindo

Lindo starts drawing a large veve in chalk on the slate floor of his kitchen, setting out candles and the traditional offerings. He holds out his hand for whatever personal item of Aoife's you brought into the apartment. "If you make a promise to Papa Legba, you will keep it, one way or another. He's not the sort to forgive debts, so be careful. I'll still be here, even when he's riding me, but I won't have much influence."

What is it that you hand Lindo?

Comments

• imageJubilex

I hand him her bra. I took it knowing I'd need something of hers, don't judge.

"I won't break a promise to your loa, Lindo." I assure him. I know better than cross something that powerful. Well, normally. Earlier tonight was an exception.
  • edited May 2015

imageLindo

Lindo's process tonight is less theatrical but no less dramatic. He sets out a ceramic teacup and pours rum into it, lights a cigar and places it in a cut-glass ashtray. Taking his cane in hand, he knocks it on the floor once, twice, three times, and then his head snaps back, the tophat only barely remaining on. When he looks back at you, he's definitely the loa, not just Lindo.

Papa Legba gives you a toothy smile before reaching for the cup of rum and downing it in one go. He picks up the cigar, takes a puff, and blows a smoke ring.

"An' who is dis I see right here before me, den? What do you wish wid ol' Papa Legba?"

• imageJubilex

"My named Jubilex, Papa Legba," I say as I duck my head and chest forward in a respectful bow, not sure what else I should do for honorifics. "I took an elf girl out to Corktown tonight, and some spiritual wild hunt came after us. She sprouted silver horns and led them away. I need to know if she's still alive, and how I can help her."

Spending a FP
  • Papa Legba looks down at the bra wrapped around the top of his cane, noticing it for the first time. He brings it up and takes a quick sniff, then nods.

"Oh, petit-fils, when de rat play 'round de cat's mouth, him like ta become dinner someday. You look for trouble, an' you got it."

He shakes his head.

"Your girl, she's alive yes. As to how you goin' to help her, well, how much you goin' to risk? Dis ain't exactly a party you're headin' to."

One question out of three asked and answered.

• imageJubilex

"I'm not going to risk my team." I say immediately. "But I will risk myself. I don't plan on dying for her, she's an awful girlfriend. But she's a person. We've... got a connection."

I look at Papa Legba and ask seriously, "What should I do to help her?"
  • The loa hums to himself for a moment. When he speaks again, he seems a touch sad.

"Dere's no plan here dat keeps you for sure alive, only a way to give you a chance. The Hunt isn't for sneezin' at, petit-fils. Sure you don' want my recipe for rum punch instead?"

• imageJubilex

"I won't turn the recipe down," I answer with a grin. "But I took her out to Corktown, she trusted me that I'd keep her safe. I don't want to let her down. Plus... she's extremely hot. I'm sure you can appreciate that."
  • Papa Legba winks broadly.

"Maybe I t'row in da punch recipe for free, if you make it out. As far as a plan dat gives you a chance, well, Papa Legba can help, but it will sure cost you more than a couple questions. This here..." He gestures down at Lindo's body. "...is a fine man, and for sure one a dis one's favorite horses, but sometimes ol' Papa Legba needs him some speed." He holds up three fingers. "T'ree times you let me ride you, runner. I'll let Lindo know and he'll make it happen. For dis promise, Papa Legba opens the way for you right to where your elf is, an' gives you a key that will let you get her out. Hunters are close, though. You'll have to be fast. An' don't bother tryin' to fight them Hunters. Just dodge an' run, you ain' gonna hurt em, sure."

• edited May 2015
    imageJubilex

I listen to his terms, nod along, then answer, "As long as you won't hurt my friends or my team while you're riding me, I agree, Papa Legba. Please open the way." I check my Predator, flex my legs and prepare to run."
  • Papa Legba reaches up to pluck a key off his hatband (it wasn't there when he was "just" Lindo), then hands it to you.

"Petit-fils, your horny elf will be close when you go t'rough dis door I open, but so will the Hunters. The way will close behin' you, but if you manage to scoop up da quarry, you swallow dis key, an' you'll be outside Corktown. I'll be dismountin' dis horse once you go, so I can't bring you back here."

He gives you a wink.

"I'll be seeing you, petit-fils."

Then he looks over your shoulder, calls out something in French, and gives you a sharp shove. You take two steps backward, and just as you recover your balance on the dark streets of Corktown, Aoife barrels into you at a full run.

Let's see an Athletics roll against a Good (+3) to keep from getting knocked down.

• imageJubilex

Athletically trying to dodge:
    (Rolled: 4df+3. Total: 2. Rolls: +, 0, -, -)
  • edited May 2015
    imageJubilex

I see her crashing into me, see her falling, the Hunt coming closer, doom coming with them.

I'll spend a FP for Haunted by Failure to bump my roll to a +4
  • You catch Aoife, her antlers (?) nearly knocking you off your feet, but you manage. She's trembling like a rabbit chased by a fox, fully in the "flight" half of "fight or flight" mode. Still naked, of course, and her boots are gone, replaced by a gradual transition to deer hooves. Her eyes are wide, terrified, and she struggles to get away from you. Both your hands are occupied holding her. If you let go with even one, there's a good chance she's going to bolt off again.

The Hunt approaches. What do you do?

• imageJubilex

"Trust me, Aoife, I know the way out!" I say as I try to snatch her up into my arms. If I can carry her, I can kick in my Wired Reflexes and GTFO. If she resists, that's going to cost us some time.

Time we desperately need.
  • edited May 2015

Her trembling slows a bit, but she's still struggling with you, twitching this way and that in your arms. Her eyes, doe-like, but still somehow Aoife's, meet yours for a moment.

Let's see a roll. Your Rapport vs. Aoife's will. I'll be up-front that there's a scene Aspect here: Trapped as Prey, which may apply. (Take a FP.) Please describe what you say or do, then roll.

• imageJubilex

I show her the key with my left hand as I subtly kick in my Wired Reflexes, "Aoife, you have to let me get you out of here." I swallow the key, "I know the way out. Trust me, babr." I'll reach to pick her up, a hand under her arm and under her legs, like a husband would carry his new wife over a threshhold.
  • imageJubilex

Rapport:
    (Rolled: 4df+4. Total: 6. Rolls: +, 0, 0, +)
  • Will to Defend

(Rolled: 4df. Total: 1. Rolls: 0, +, 0, 0)
  • Corktown and the Hunt blink out, and you find yourself in the middle of a restaurant of some sort, holding a mostly-naked, mostly-elf Aoife. As heads turn toward you, you see the sign board above the order counter. Pollo alla brasa de Elegua You recognize no-one around you, and they're all speaking Spanish. Many of the patrons, and the workers behind the counter chopping up the rotisserie-roasted chickens, turn to stare. Most cross themselves. Some pull out various saint's medals and kiss them.

• imageJubilex

Still panting slightly from the effort of a few moments earlier, I ease Aoife to her fett, er, hooves, and strip off my jacket to put over her shoulders. "Well. That was an experience I'll never forget. Are you with me, Aoife?"

She's with me. Like I said earlier, We have a connection. It's more than sex, although sex is, well, part of it.

I try to get her to look at me, ignore the people in the restaurant for just a moment.
  • Of all the people in all the chicken restaurants in all the world, Lindo's niece Marie-Rose happens to be among the crowd goggling at you. You've "met" her via AR/VR/whatever, and she recognizes you. "Jubilex? What are you doing in Miami?"

• imageJubilex

"Miami?" I ask, incredulous. I look at Aoife again, still worried about her, then mutter, "Oh boy."
  • edited May 2015

Aoife is still in your arms, still struggling slightly, but calming down. She's full-on nude, now, under your jacket, but the antlers have faded, and her feet are... becoming feet... now, feet, again. Still and all, Jubilex, you're standing in the middle of a take-out restaurant with a long line, holding a delicious naked elf, with a team-member's niece looking on, and a line stretching out the door, most of them simply glaring because they think you jumped the line.

What do you do?

• imageJubilex

I put an arm around her, guide her to Marie-Rose, "Hey. Papa Legba stuff. Do you have a booth? We need help."
  • Marie-Rose looks alarmed for a brief second, but recovers quickly. "I... I don't work..." She goes up to a couple at a booth, speaks to them quietly, and they leave. In a hurry. With looks back to you. Alarmed looks. Lindo's niece gestures to the booth, still with uncleared paper plates and a handful of fat french-fries in a basket. "So, Papa Legba stuff? That doesn't usually involve random nudity."

• imageJubilex

I give the couple an apologetic look, mumble, "Sorry for the inconvenience." to them as they leave. I help Aoife to the booth, help her to sit on the inside and I sit on her side, looking between her and Marie-Rose, who looks even more pretty in person.

With a low voice, I explain to Mari-Rose, "Yeah, she was caught up in some kind of Wild Hunt. Crazy magic in Corktown. Long story, but let's summarize it as Jubilex is overconfident, but often learns from his mistakes. Your dad put me in touch with Papa Legba to help Aoife escape the hunt. I followed the loa's instructions, snatched Aoife, ran through a portal... and ended up here."
  • Marie-Rose shakes her head and signals to the one overworked waitress. (There are only three booths in this joint, and one crappy linoleum two-top table, so she's ALSO the cashier.) Nevertheless, the waitress comes over, takes Marie-Rose's order for three waters, three quarters-dark meat, and a large order of papas fritas. After a look at you, she also asks for two shots of "Ricardo's rum". That triggers something that feels like a memory...

Da rule is one of sour, two of sweet, t'ree of strong, an' four of weak. So take you a cup of lemon juice or lime juice; two cups of simple syrup wid' cherries or berries, or use grenadine if you're someplace widout any fresh fruit, poor soul; one cup of overproof rum, one of the white, and one of the dark; and three cups of fruit juice, maybe orange an' pineapple in some combination, plus, an' here's the secret, one cup of spicy ginger beer. Mind you, by "cup" I mean as much as it takes to serve your people—it's the balances that matter. Ice dat tastiness down in a bowl or a pitcher, wid some fresh nutmeg grated on dere. An' drink it up, petit-fils. It's sweeter wid' friends, of course.

• imageJubilex

Ricardo's rum. That's interesting. "Thanks, Marie-Rose." I put a hand on Aoife's thigh, just checking with her, nothing sexy. Okay, not that sexy, but it's her thigh, so there's that. I check to make sure the jacket's closed. Is she even here?

Back to Marie-Rose, "The people here seem to know you pretty well."
  • Aoife twitches a bit when you touch her, something between fear and arousal.

Marie-Rose responds, "Yes, they do. Best chicken in Miami." She folds her arms. "So, what do you need, if Uncle Lindo sent you?"

• imageJubilex

I shake my head, "I don't think your uncle sent us, not directly. Papa Legba offered me an escape from Corktown, it led straight here. We need clothes for her, and a ride. I can get us back to the PRD... I'm pretty sure." I lick my lips, doing the cross-country vs. supersonic flight options in my head. Absent-mindedly, I add, "I'll foot the bill, of course."

Arousal? Dayum.
  • Marie-Rose gives you a look that reminds you very much of Lindo when he's calling you out for something. "You know it's been four days? I got in touch with Uncle with more information on dat... that drug, and he told me you've been gone since Monday. It's Thursday now. He said somet'ing... something about a party tomorrow night? Not too many flights from here to there, runner-man." She pauses to let the harried waitress set down your food. Aoife tears into her quarter-chicken without hesitation or manners. Marie-Rose glances at her, then says, "Clothes, I can do. Transport? That's your thing."

She chuckles. "Papa Legba got a sense of humor, he does."

• imageJubilex

The party is tomorrow night?

Wait, four days?

"Well, no. I didn't know its been four days. I need to reach out to everyone on the team. We have to be at that party." I start eating, wash down a bite, then add, "And yeah, he's a laugh riot."
  • Marie-Rose offers to take you and Aoife to her place and get some clothes on the elf. It's just around the block, she says. You've got wifi, you can get in touch with anyone, basically at will. Who's first?

• imageJubilex

I call Jessi first. She'd worry the most.
  • imageJessi

Jessi answers your ping immediately. "Where the hell have you been!? Everyone says you ran off with some stripper!"

• imageJubilex

"Technically, yes." I answer. "She is an old flame, got into some trouble in Corktown. I went to help, we ended up... in Miami. Magic drek. I literally stepped out of Corktown five minutes ago in my time, some kind of time portal something or whatsit. And yes, I'm counting on your realization that if I was planning on lying, I'd come up with something much more intelligent and believable."

I take a step away from Aoife, who is dressing, and Marie-Rose, "The silver lining is that the old flame is an incredibly hot elf girl stripper. And I'm pretty sure you'll be into her."
  • imageJessi

Jessi grunts. "There will be more questions, but I'm too glad you're alive to ask them now. When will you be back? Malin has been questioning her whole existence, not being able to find any trace of you. She says Lindo's been very cagey, too."

• imageJubilex

"Lindo was probably feeling guilty. He helped me have a snowball's chance in hell of saving Aoife, and might've thought I died." I answer. Then, I pause, think it through, "I don't have a credstick on me and I need to get back to the PRD as soon as possible. Can you get me two supersonic tickets back soonest? I'll owe you. Big time."
  • imageJessi

You hear a long sigh on the other end of the "line." "That would be a ticket for you and a ticket for your hot stripper ex-girlfriend?" Before you can respond, she continues. "Five minutes. Don't know the schedule, but you'll have the tickets. You owe me one. No, you owe me two."

• edited May 2015
    imageJubilex

I agree with her, "I owe you two, but I'm thinking one of them will be coming with me." I whisper a little, "I'm not kidding, you're gonna like her."

I forward her a pic. You know, to whet the appetite.
  • imageJessi

Jessi makes a speculative sound. "Hrrm. Okay. Point to you. Now sign off. Tickets in five."

• imageJubilex

"Thanks, Jessi." I end the call. I call Lindo next, with plans to reach out to Niz, then Malin, then Mat.
  • Lindo also (unsurprisingly) answers right away.

imageLindo

"Son, I am glad to hear from you. I have this feeling you won't be able to answer, but where have you been?"

• imageJubilex

I offer him a grin, "I'm in Miami. Mission accomplished, Aoife is safe. We jumped through a portal to get out of Corktown, and ended up here. Just a few minutes ago. Lost four whole days." I pause, let that sink in. "Are you alright?"
  • imageLindo

You can hear Lindo's breath over the comms for a moment. "I knew you were alive, 'cause Papa Legba told me you owe him. What promise did you make dat crafty ol' man, Jubilex? And if you're in Miami, maybe Marie-Rose can help. I have other kin down there, but she's level."

• imageJubilex

I sigh through my nose, then shake my head a little ruefully, "I promised to be his horse when he needed it. I'm his back-up plan for when you're busy, I guess." I turn the phone and point it around Marie-Rose's place, answering, "I am at her place now." I turn the phone back to me and say quietly, "Aoife was completely nude, so she's borrowing clothes from your niece."
  • imageLindo

You can hear Lindo's gears turning for a few seconds before he answers. "Okay, p'tit. You just get you back here. We'll talk about Eleggua when you get back." Unless you've got something else to offer, he disconnects.

• imageJubilex

I let him go, then I cue up Mat, Niz and Malin. No reason to take them slow. "Hola team. I'm back on the grid. Sorry for going dark on you."
  • imageMalin

Malin is the first to respond. "Where. The Fuck. Have you. Been?" There's an audible silence from Nizoni and Mat.

• imageJubilex

"Hey Malin," I answer with a laugh. "I got mixed up in some magic that jumped me forward. I missed four days of time, just came out the other side. I'm sorry, it wasn't on purpose."
  • imageMalin

Malin doesn't quite yell. "YOU WERE GONE FOR FOUR DAYS!" Okay, she yells. "And by the way, I did some of my special stuff to find you, but you were nowhere, and Nizoni was like, 'What are you doing?' and I was like, 'Ah...' and Nizoni was like 'You're a technomancer, aren't you?' and I was like, 'Ah...' and she was thinking about killing me. She might still be."

imageNizoni

"I'm reserving judgement." Nizoni is always reserving judgement. She's like the Dread Pirate Roberts from that Princess Bride reboot.

• imageJubilex

I.... she knows? Not so much with the good.

"Surprise?" I offer weakly. "Niz, she's cool. Plus Mat would kick your pretty ass."
  • edited May 2015

imageNizoni

"I promise I won't kill her in any way that's traceable to me, Jubilex."

imageMat

Mat snorts. "When are you back, Jube, and is there anything we need to do to get ready for tomorrow? Did you get the information from Mr. Johnson?"

You did, in fact. You can easily send it along to the team.

An alert pops up. Your tickets are available. Two hours from now, leaving from the Miami airport.

• imageJubilex

I shoot the details along to them. "We fly out in two hours. Here's my flight details, Mat, can you pick me up at the airport? Malin, I lost four days on planning a party, but once this job's over, I want to host a gathering at our place, a block party or something. Can you start working on a list of what we'll need and where we can get it since Diego's is still closed? Lastly, this party is dress-up, so make sure you have pretty clothes. No black cat suits, Nizoni."
  • Everyone agrees, and by the time you sign off Aoife's dressed and starting to get back to something like "normal." She still clings to your arm like a lifeline, though, and she's not saying much.

Marie-Rose offers you a cup of hot, sweet coffee. "I can borrow a car to get you to the airport. Anything else you need right now?"

• imageJubilex

I check the AR for an Uber Elite. If there's something I can rent through one of my SINs back at the PRD, I'd like to avoid needing anything more from Lindo's niece.

What's Aoife wearing now?
  • Your Uber will arrive in about fifteen minutes. Marie-Rose protests that it's really no trouble, but you know no one really likes driving to the airport.

Aoife is sitting almost primly in one of Marie-Rose's light cotton sundresses. Even with the windows open and a fan blowing it's quite warm here, but she cradles her coffee cup as if she's chilled.

• imageJubilex

"Thank you for the loan of the dress, Marie-Rose. And the help. We can take it from here." I move over to give her a warm hug, then head for the door. I hold Aoife's hand, leading her outside.

Once we're in the hot air, I look at her, "You look pretty in that dress, Aoife." I peer at her, "How are you feeling?"
  • The sunshine and the hint of breeze seems to help a bit. Aoife blinks and turns toward you. "I..."

That's all she gets out.

Why don't you give me a Rapport roll here to Overcome Aoife's disorientation and trauma, which is considerable. The target is a +2.

• imageJubilex

I'm looking to use my Stunt Always has an angle, since I'm hoping to set up something special with Aoife and Jessi.

That gives me a +2 on this Overcome roll.
    (Rolled: 4df+6. Total: 6. Rolls: -, -, +, +)
  • edited May 2015
    imageAoife

You can see Aoife's spine straighten a little bit as she turns into you and gives you a deep, fierce kiss, complete with a hit of that tingling shock. After a moment, she disengages and leans in to whisper in your ear, "Is it wrong that I'm still horny?"

• imageJubilex

The kiss is a surprise. After the initial shock, I slip my hand under her jaw, and let out a mmmn as the electric sensation hits me. To her whisper, I chuckle, "Not at all. Save it up for when we're in the air. I've got a bit of a thing about supersonic flights." I'll slip around to kiss her again, and what the hell, make out with her for a bit until Uber shows up.
  • edited May 2015

The SUV pulls up a few minutes sooner than expected and takes you to the airport. You negotiate customs and immigration with no real problems, although your lack of luggage is a bit of a puzzlement to the assembled forces of officialdom. The flight takes off right on schedule, and even commercial SST is quite luxurious. Each pair of seats can be closed off behind curtains, although there's only minimal sound-baffling.

imageAoife

As soon as the plane is in the air, Aoife reaches over to close the curtain and turns to you with a slow smile.

• imageJubilex

I lean in, whisper in her pointed ear, "We don't have more than twenty minutes. Have you ever joined the mile high club, Aoife?" I'm already moving my hands to her thighs, hoping to slip that sundress off her.
  • edited May 2015
    imageAoife

She swings herself over to straddle your lap, her long, toned thighs tight against you as she leans in to kiss you fiercely. "If we've got twenty minutes, then less talking, cowboy. It's been a long time since it's been you and just you inside me."
  • imageJubilex

I stop talking, of course. Hard to talk when a strange elf's tongue is in your mouth. One hand reaches under the sundress while my right fumbles for my fly.

This is going to be a lovely flight.
  • edited May 2015

...and in fact, it is a lovely flight. Aoife's skills and... enhancements... ensure that you have no problem meeting your time limit. By the time you land, both you and your "horny" elf have a smile on your faces, to say the least.

imageMat

You've got no bags to claim, of course, so once you clear customs and immigration (you are coming from a different country, after all), it's not long before you meet up with Mat, in Maisie, the Marcus Wellby van. When you slip in, he gives Aoife a quick, speculative look before putting it in gear. "So, how was Miami?"

• imageJubilex

"Unsufferably hot for the two hours we spent there." I answer as I climb in the back seat. "Aoife and I were in Corktown, running from a Wild Hunt four days ago. We went through a portal Papa Legba showed me, and came through in Miami, about fifteen minutes before I called you."

I will be explaining this for the rest of my life.

Changing subject, "How's the prep for the party?"
  • edited May 2015

imageMat

Mat asks, "The party we're being paid for or the party you're paying for?"

• imageJubilex

"Pay before play," I say, our little phrase for proper decision-making. "We do the job first, then we kick back and enjoy the fruits of our labor."

I look around inside the back of the van, been a while since I've sat here. "Maisie looks good, Mat."
  • edited May 2015

imageMat

Mat acknowledges the compliment with a smile.

"Everyone's got clothes. Nizoni's going over the building plans you squirted to us before you left Miami. Lindo's... doing whatever it is Lindo does. Malin has hacked all the feeds, which is much easier on her now that the cat's out of the bag and she doesn't have to pretend she has one hand tied behind her back." He pauses for breath. "Everyone's expecting a meeting as soon as we drop your friend off, but I realize I have no idea when you slept last. Are you up for a war council?"

OOC: This is a new scene. Lindo is rested from his previous exertions, and your Fate Points have refreshed.

• imageJubilex

I'm tired from running (and fragging), but it hasn't been four days for me. "I'm up for it, Mat. Let's drop off Aoife and take care of business."
  • imageAoife

Aoife speaks up. "Do you mind just dropping me at the club? I need to grab my stuff, and my bike's there." Bike is new, Jubilex.

• imageJubilex

A bike is a nice change. "Mat, drive us by 4Play, please. Aoife, what kind of bike do you have?"
  • imageAoife

Aoife gives a somewhat maternal grin. "She's kinda my pride and joy. Muscle-powered with electric assist when I really need it. Chainless. Carbon fiber. The same green as my eyes, most of the time, but I can change it. Fully connected, of course, and as smart as most corp-types offices are." She stops. Suddenly. "I call her Daisy... hey that rhymes with the van, doesn't it?"

• imageJubilex

I grin at that, glance up at Mat in the rear-view. "We should hook them up on a blind date sometime." That makes me chuckle a little. "I like the green of your eyes."

Yeah, I'm sure Mat will roll his eyes.
  • imageAoife

You are so right. Mat rolls his eyes, as Aoife chuckles. (Aoife does not giggle. Giggling isn't sexy. Chuckling is, when she does it.) "They would have such beautiful babies."

• imageJubilex

"Hey Mat, you mind me playing matchmaker with the EmDub van?" I ask with a grin as I resist the urge to reach up to touch Aoife. I do resist, just barely. I like her sense of humor. I wasn't sure if she still had one.
  • imageMat

Mat grunts and continues navigating back to the barrio. A few minutes later, he says, "You know, they would be cute. I mean, the babies. I wonder if you could armor up one of those bikes? If you used 'em muscle power only, there wouldn't be a power signature to read." He lapses into thoughtfulness as he makes turns onto side roads and back streets to get you back home as soon as possible.

imageAoife

Aoife touches your arm. "You know, I could be useful to a runner. If you ever need, I hate to say it, a honeypot, well, I'm not shy."

• imageJubilex

Mat's thoughts amuse me for the rest of the trip. As he lets off Aoife and she offers her help, I nod, "Listen, Aoife. I'm glad we reconnected. I want to see you again, and soon. Useful to a runner, or just to chat. It's been a real adventure." I step out of the van, offer her a hug. A warm one. Nothing too showy.
  • imageAoife

Aoife returns the hug with equal warmth but only her general ambient sexiness, no "extras". She pulls back to look you in the eye. "I think that's the last time I give you a lapdance, ah, Jubilex, at least at the club..." She holds up a hand. "I'm not saying I don't want a repeat performance of some of that, and I'm currently unattached. Just think we need a more level playing field next time. My therapist told me I need to value myself more. Call me when you've got work." As she turns to walk into the club, you see just a glimmer of silver antlers growing out of her head, indistinct in the bright sunlight.

• imageJubilex

I give her a grin, "I understand, Aoife. It was an unexpected and intense re-acquaintance. I'll call you sometime soon. Stay safe." I watch her, noticing the antlers, and well, the rest of her.

I let out an appreciative breath, then climb into Maisie beside Mat, give him a smirk, "How's tricks, Mat?"
  • edited May 2015

imageMat

Mat gives you a steady look as he puts the van in gear. "Malin was hysterical. Lindo, I'm sure, thought he'd gotten you killed, even if he didn't say anything. Nizoni was so out of sorts, she gave back some things she stole. I know this wasn't your fault, Jube, but do me a favor and don't be glib when we get to the Wellby Cave."

• imageJubilex

I nod, my smile slipping away. It was for show anyways. I'm dead tired and still wigged out from the experience. "You're right, Mat. Sorry. It's been hectic and weird." My shoulders slump a little as the last fourteen actual hours of activity hit me. "Let's get there, I've got my game face on."
  • You get to the Wellby Cave in good order, and Mat parks the van in the garage across the street, as usual.

imageMalin

When you walk in, Malin rushes over and gives you a fierce hug around the waist. "Don't do that again!"

imageNizoni

Nizoni gives you a quick once-over and then ignores you, like a cat that has already been fed. She goes back to whatever she's poring over in her AR.

imageLindo

Lindo gives you a much closer look than Nizoni did. "Glad you're okay, son. Later, you'll have to tell me what Papa Legba made you promise him."

• imageJubilex

I hug Malin back, bend over to kiss the top of her head. I give Nizoni a nod, meet Lindo's eyes. Once everyone's settled, I take a seat at the table, "Malin, Mat, Nizoni, Lindo," I look to each of them as I say their name. "I am genuinely sorry I dropped off the face of the earth for four days. I had no idea Papa Legba was going to pull that trick on me when he offered an escape from a Wild Hunt. If I'd known, I'd still have done it, but I promise I would have let you know. I'm glad you're alright, and apologize for the scare. You're all my team and my family. While the night I left was only hours ago for me, it was four days for you. I've lost people, teammates and close friends. Very close friends," I glance over at Lindo at that. "It's awful. I'm sorry."

I wait for responses before I get down to business.
  • There are a few seconds of uncomfortable silence, but everyone meets your eye at least briefly. Then a veritable torrent of words hits you from all sides.

Nizoni has worked out the four most likely scenarios for extracting someone from the building, an old warehouse that's been converted into an "events space". She's already facilitated Mat's entry into the building so that he can install a full set of redundant security and surveillance equipment that Motown's official team won't have access to.

Malin can literally tell you everything up to and including underwear preference for each person on the guest, employee, and staff lists. Several of the security team are former low-level crooks, not unusual, but Ryce, the Head of Security, seems squeaky clean. He has had a pattern of going off the grid for a period of about 90 minutes every two days, in the late evening, for the last three weeks, though. No sudden injections of NuYen, no evidence of evildoing.

The guest list, of course, is full of entertainment industry luminaries, which means a good sprinkling of junkies, megalomaniacs, wannabes, has-beens, and outright sociopaths. Also, Queen Lili, and surprisingly, Aoife.

When Mat and Nizoni infiltrated the party space, they also dropped a bunch of talismans that Lindo (with Variska helping as a subcontractor) created to help with "astral oversight". He'll still have to be in the building with you, though. He has verified that his tuxedo still fits, and seems rather pleased with that fact.

Apparently the team distracted themselves with work while worrying about your absence.

• imageJubilex

I listen to each every detail, pleased with their ingenuity and forethought. I pore over the details in my mind, thinking through the most likely suspects, finding too, too many. When they're done, I nod appreciatively, "That is some amazing intel, team. Very good work. If I wasn't talking right now, I'd lie and say I'm speechless." I give Lindo a look, "I'm glad the tux fits... but is it still in style?" I'm kidding with him, of course.
  • imageLindo

Lindo gives you an almost mournful look, Jubilex. "Son, you're young, so I will forgive you for not understanding the difference between fashion and style. It's fashion that changes, year after year, even month after month these days. Externally dictated, pictures and ads floating across your AR. Fashion is, to be blunt, drek. Style, now? Style isn't about looking out at the miserable over-manipulated images that the corps are forcing on you. Style is about looking in at your essential self, and draping that self in the right accoutrements, the things that best express you in the situation you're in."

Malin's jaw is agape. Mat's trying not to laugh, and Nizoni is looking at Lindo almost with affection. Your fancy suit, by the way, is dirty, a little ripped at one cuff, and you haven't seen the tie in either a few hours or four days, depending on your perspective.

• imageJubilex

I look down at my complete lack of style, then nod, accepting his admonishment. "Touche, my friend."

A glance at everyone, "Is there anything we need before the party? It seems like you all have brought us inside the twenty yard line. Now we need to push it across the goal line. So, who's my date?"
  • As it happens, you asked for FIVE invitations, plus one for you. That leaves you an extra, and this would totally be Jessi's jam. Of course, it's up to you.

• imageJubilex

"Wait," I hold up a hand, "Sorry, been awake for fifteen hours. Jessi's my date. Sorry for getting your hopes up." I grin at Mat first, because he's a little mad at me still.
  • imageMat

Mat gives you a scowl at that, but it seems to be softening. "Since we're not official-official, there's no way we're getting weapons through the door when we arrive. Either Nizoni goes in again tonight and plants some firepower, or we're barehanded. The detectors at the door are pretty sophisticated, but I'm guessing they'll be pretty overloaded with celebrity foibles, so we might be able to sneak something in."

• imageJubilex

I look to Nizoni, "Can you get weapons inside without too much trouble?"
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni gives a dainty snort. "Does the Pope drek in the woods? I don't even know what that means... Yes, I can make it happen. If they have potted plants, and they do, I can hide weapons for you." She doesn't even look smug. It's just a statement of fact.

• imageJubilex

Only Nizoni can snort daintily. I've learned this over the years. "Make it happen. Please." I take out my pocket secretary and drag a few small items into a list and toss it to her AR display."

I look around, "Anything else?"
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni gives you her coyote grin and asks, "Don't you want to approve our outfits, Mr. Fashion?" She give a look to Malin, who is barely avoiding a full-on paroxysm of laughter.

• imageJubilex

I arch a brow and ask, "I wonder if I should request a fashion show...." I hold it for a moment, then chuckle, "I'm sure you all look either lovely or handsome. Is there anything else?"
  • imageMat

"Do we go in as a group, or separately? Is Motown providing car service?"

• imageJubilex

"Good question." I point out, acknowledging Mat's thoughts. "Why don't you arrive with Malin and Lindo? Niz will find her own way in, nobody can stop her. I'll arrive separately with Jessi, as Jessi's plus one. Let's stagger arrivals. Mat, bring Maisie in early, Niz... arrive when you arrive. I'll be fashionably late-ish." I almost make a joke about being "four days late", but it's too soon.