[Fury] Rain or Reign? (Vignette 5.0)

edited October 2015 in Fury

Vignette,

A few days have passed since the big shindig at Yellowhouse. Cujo slept in the small pile with you that night, and the next, and the one after. She leaves each morning to join Dog's pack, then comes back to you in the night. It's almost a routine. I know you were looking to steal her golden ear and get it to Ephram so he can fashion her a new one or make the current one work again. Keep in mind, Ephram said he'd need a close look, then he'd draw up some plans for how to fix or replace it.

Let's see how that's gone for you. I want you to roll an Act Under Fire to figure out the best chance to snag her ear and get it to Ephram. On a 10+, you get it to Ephram safely and he's able to get it back to you before Cujo wakes in the morning. On a 7-9, choose one:
- Cujo wakes up early and leaves in a fit of rage, refusing to talk to you about why you took her ear
- Ephram sends the ear back in time, but it still isn't working and looks like it's been tampered with
- Someone's found out about your plan.

Recently, Jax has reported that scouts and travelers are noticing that the inside gang of Safeco has grown, picking up new bodies from around the outskirts and handing them guns and weapons. Complaints from folks being roughed up for minor infractions and the inside gang has started roaming outside, too. In trucks and cars. Right now, it seems like the Admiral's rattling his saber. He hasn't made any big announcements about his plans. Pikers are worried that this could mean trouble.

Today, however, is Motor Duel Day! True to your agreement with Admiral (aka Dear Old Dad), you've closed the markets. Admiral's invited you to come watch the Motor Duel with him in the Yacht Club, but you still need to take the complaint from the "guy from the forest" that Jax told you about the other night. Where have you decided to receive this man called Rain? Are you in the big seat with the pig statue, or somewhere else?

Comments

Act Under Fire to figure out the best chance to snag her ear and get it to Ephram.

(Rolled: 2d6+0. Rolls: 2, 4. Total: 6)

Marking XP(3)

I need to accept the Admiral's invitation. I want to know more about his plans. I do not want to meet this Rain person, this "whacknut from the forest", in the Yacht Club, or anywhere in Safeco, where I am a guest. I will meet him here before I go. Not in Millions' seat with the golden pig, though. I look like a lost child in that seat. I have prepared a better receiving area. In the large room that we used for a banquet hall when we hosted the leaders of the gangs, there is an alcove with a small stage--little more than a dais. With Queen Anne's help, I have shrouded the walls in black and silver, and I have found a chair more to my scale, made of dark wood with cushions of blood red velvet. With the help of many, many of Spider's brethren, I have shrouded the walls and ceiling and the chair with webs. This is where the Witch of Pike holds court for "special" visitors like the man from the forest.

Vignette,

SueB and Wash stand nearby, with Jax out preparing your ride to Safeco. They seem irritated as you are when the man arrives. He's wearing a simple robe, walks in casually, looking at all three of you in this wide, open space. You notice dirt beneath his fingernails. In the his left hand he holds a small, carved stone.

He lowers his head slightly in a bow, "Thank you for seeing me, Vignette. My name is Rain. I come from the forest of splendor and power with a gift, and a request." He waits for you to acknowledge him before raising his head.

What do you do?

Splendor and power... I have heard enough about the forest from the Arrows to make me unfavorably disposed to this man already, just based on his describing it this way.

I reach out to this man with my mind, the fingers of my consciousness stirring the flow of his thoughts, creating swirls and eddies, surfacing thoughts that might otherwise have drifted by unnoticed.

I make a production of it, closing my eyes and tipping my head back, swaying a little. All this is theater--unnecessary but done to put him off balance. I have watched August and Valentine carefully--my father as well. Each has their own way of putting a person at a disadvantage.

After what I mean to be an uncomfortably long pause, I answer this man, Rain. I lower my head, eyes still closed, and acknowledge his thanks with a small nod. "Rain..."

When I sense him raise his head, my eyes snap open, locked on his. "I have heard things of the forest which make me question the intent of those bearing its 'gifts'. What have you brought and what is this 'request'?"

Casual thought receptivity: (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 6, 1. Total: 9)

Rain looks up when you address him. His eyes have a wit about them, an in-born confidence. You've seen a mirror of it in Gates, but this is different. There's something much more solitary about Rain. "Those who invade the forest to take her bounty deserve spooky stories. I understand you have a few about you already, Vignette. The Witch of Pike." He holds your gaze, and you feel his thoughts, gently pulling stray words and idle notions.

He holds up the rock, "This rock is my gift. The bearer may enter the forest without fear of reprisal. It is my hope that you are wiser than Millions, and we can find a way to trade together."

Rain doesn't mention his request, holding it back to gauge your reaction to his gift.

"Why would I want to go into the forest," I say, pushing back against his probing thoughts, trying to keep my mind blank, focused only on the conversation. "And what kind of whacknut must you be for Millions to refuse to do business with you?" I add with a little laugh. I wonder how much you can hear... As much as I can? Why should I believe your story of the 'magic rock'? What is this request of yours?

"People look backwards and see all that we've lost and spend lives lamenting their misfortune to be born in this time... but how odd... at the same time they wish to go on living and fear the woods because they fear death," he begins, there's a flicker in his eye as he seems to hear you, but you're not sure. "And some things, like this stone," he hefts it in his hand, "cannot be explained. Should not be."

"I want to share the truth. The truth that I've realized in my pilgrimages. Allow me to speak freely, under your protection... to your people and all who would seek shelter and trade within your demesnes. I ask you to have an open mind and to hear the truth I bring, and to allow me to open the minds of all who come here. All who would listen."

What do you do?

“And what is this ‘truth’ you would have everyone know?” I say, raising an eyebrow. Spider crawls down my arm, coming to rest atop my hand, lending it eight dark fingers to drum the arm of my chair in eerie counter-rhythm with the milk-white ones.

Rain's eyes take in the drumming of your fingers, how the colors of you and Spider are so different, but you're in tune with one another. "This..." he spreads his free hand about as if to indicate "everything". "People try so hard to cling to what was, to what isn't anymore. What can never be. There isn't enough to go around, isn't enough salvage, isn't enough."

He walks slowly over to run a finger over one of your webs, not near you, on the edge of your impressive throne room. "Misery. Sickness. The red, red rain. That's in plenty."He looks back up, meeting your eyes if you let him. "The truth is that humanity is dead. It's time for us to return to our humble beginnings, and stop pretending. We all should return to a more natural state.... in the only home that welcomes us."

"You mean the forest? The forest that eats people? I think most of us can do better than that."

I shake my head, "It does not matter. I am not one for preachers and truths. Some people are." I shrug. "But as for your ask for protection, it is simple: you behave yourself, do not cause trouble, and you have the same protection as anyone else. But if you cause trouble, interfere with my crew or the businesses here..." I shrug again.

"It is fair, as I've been told to expect." Rain says. He takes a step towards you, Spider reacts by crawling up your arm towards your neck, for safety or for a perch from which to attack. "May I give you the rock, Vignette?" He has it in his hand still, a smooth rock with intricate designs along one surface.

What do you do?

I look at the rock in this man's hand, and back up to his eyes. "You offer me a rock granting safe passage to a forest where none may go. You want to preach despair and surrender in the midst of people fighting to build lives. What are you really doing here? Why have you come?"

What do you intend? (Spending my hold.)

Rain tilts his head slightly, "None may go? Not true, Vignette, none may come without an invitation, which... you have." He opens his hand to show you the rock, holding it out for you to take. Spider slowly begins crawling back down from your shoulder, as if curious.

You smell the earth when he's near, Vignette. A faint smell of tree sap. It's rather pleasant. "I'm here to share the truth with who will listen. I'm here to provide clearwater as proof of the wonders of the woods. Those who will share with me and entertain me are welcome to my clearwater. It can cure the red sickness, you know."

He's here to do that, but he's also thinking about his distaste for Gates. He intends on breaking Gates and his flock. Not through violence, though.

The prospect of clearwater, let alone clearwater that can cure the red sickness, is too enticing.

Spider settles onto my hand, and I reach out for the stone with our thirteen fingers, dark and light interleaved.

"Gates will just have to compete with you in ideas and philosophy," I say, giving voice to the thoughts already passing between us. "If his message cannot weather competition, it is not for me to prop it up."

There is little point lying to this man--or at least I will conserve the few hiding places I have for deeper secrets.

"This decision is easier because I do not think your philosophy or your oratory stands a chance against Gates'. I am glad. I find yours misguided and devoid of hope. True or not, it is counter to everything that makes being human worthwhile. You voice the darkest fears we all have and call it wisdom. Some of my people will be drawn to your message of hopelessness, but more will flock to Gates, driven to him like salt drives one to water. He will say we are better for having been tested." I saw with a smile, imagining Gates' reaction.

"I will not turn you away from Pike so long as your methods and followers are not violent and your preaching does not create chaos among my people."

"I will admit to being curious about the forest. And a cure for the red sickness would be very useful to us and not put a dent in your fatalism, or spawn undue hope in your followers, I am sure." I say with a smirk.

"As a show of my good faith, come with me to Safeco. Bon will be very interested in anything you know about the red sickness, and I will introduce you to the Admiral and some of the less morose people of Safeco. If Valentine cannot restore your hope in humanity, no one can."

Rain hands the stone to you, his hand lingering near yours. Spider climbs across the stone to his fingers, touching them lightly. He seems intrigued with your smirk, but only slightly, a small consideration but not his main concern.

"Bon," he repeats the name with a hint of distaste. "She tried to steal from the forest. I will not share with her, or any of the others who ride with her on their machines." Rain considers you for a moment, "I will accompany you to Safeco, as your consort. If you wish for me to speak with Admiral and Valentine, I will." He says the names like they're foreign concepts.
  • edited October 2015

“You should reserve judgment on Bon–even on the rest of the Arrows. They meant no harm. They simply did not know--much like you did not know the usual penalty for trespassing in my mind. ”

Spider becomes very still–not threatening, but changing his exploratory tap-tap-tap to sudden attentiveness.

“The Arrows fared less well for their mistake than you have. You could give them a second chance. You are enjoying yours right now,” I say smiling sweetly.

"As for the rest of it,” I say, breaking the tension with a gentle wave and setting Spider back to his curious tap-tapping, “‘consort’ can mean many things. To me, in this instance, it means ‘my guest, with whom I have no special relationship, who is nevertheless under my protection…unless he does something unconscionably stupid.’ Was that your understanding as well?” I knit my brows together in mock worry. “I really would hate anyone to be mislead. In fact, it might be best to avoid the word altogether.”

"What is the normal penalty for sharing thoughts, Vignette?" Rain asks with curiosity, either not realizing the threat or not acknowledging it.

He turns to walk slightly away from you, Spider jumps to his hand and sits there with him as he does so. He looks back at you, "The Arrows," he repeats the name, committing it to memory, "Are no longer welcome. It is not my choice, Vignette. I'm just an emissary. They killed several members of the forest menagerie. Only the one called Sounder is welcome back." He reaches his off hand to rub a finger along Spider's mid-section, something like petting it.

"And yes, we see consort in the exact same fashion. You protect me, and I will do nothing unconscionably stupid." Rain says this calm, like a merchant sealing a deal.

What do you do?

“Why is Sounder welcome in the forest?” I ask, not acknowledging his questions or his agreeing to behave himself at Safeco.

“Will you speak with Bon, explain how to treat the red sickness with clearwater from the forest?”

"You should talk to Sounder," is Rain's answer about her stated permission to enter the forest. He walks back towards you on your little throne and extends his hand to let Spider crawl back to you, and meets your eyes, "You have been chosen, Vignette. Pike has been chosen to receive the gifts of the forest. Bon tried to steal clearwater and she is not worthy of the forests gifts." He sounds slightly disappointed that he has to explain this again.

Rain steps back, "You don't need her expertise for the red sickness. The clearwater I offer will cure it. Or... are you more interested in making the Arrows happy than helping the people of Pike?"

What do you do?

"I think it is time we leave," I say, extending my hand to let Spider climb back over--and what the flood is that about, by the way? Since when does Spider go to other people like a puppy craving attention? And I do not need my thirteen fingers to count the people craving Spider's attention.

His last question, 'are you more interested in making the Arrows happy than helping the people of Pike?' struck a nerve. Of course I want to help the people of Pike. But images of Arrows flit through my mind Dog, August, Bon, Cujo, Chance, Ace, Hope... For which of them would some part of me not choose to watch Pike burn if it kept them from harm or made me truly one of them.

Vignette,

Rain silently agrees, and you both head out to your big rig to ride out to Safeco. What do you do when Jax gives Rain a hard look and moves to exclude him from riding with you?

Jax will follow your lead, but he's not a fan of Rain. Not even a little.

Once you head towards Safeco, you pass throngs of people coming from Pike and the outskirts, heading to the mecca of the day. The crowds are already inside and chanting for the bloodsports.

When you arrive and head up to see the Admiral, go here.

I tilt my head at Jax and raise and eyebrow to give him a look that says, really? Then, I put my hand between them, and with the back of my hand, gently nudge him out of the way. Presuming he moves, I meet his eyes, blink in what I hope he takes to be silent acknowledgment of his concern, and give his shoulder a squeeze. We will discuss this, but not in front of Rain.

Vignette,

To clarify the situation with Cujo.

Ephram wasn't able to fix the ear, and tried to send it back, but by the time the runner got it to you, Cujo had already woken up, saw it was missing, and left without a word. You haven't seen her since. It's been days.