[Fury] The Path to the Motor Duel (Gates and SeaTac 5.1)

Gates and SeaTac,

You're both riding in SeaTac's rugged vehicle towards Safeco. It's a short drive in an off-road romper like this one.

SeaTac, what's your favorite part about your ride?

Gates, the radio's on, and SeaTac isn't acting like anything's coming through, but you hear something. What is it?

Up ahead, a quarter mile from Safeco, close enough for people at the tops of the stands to be able to see you, and you them, a Safeco patrol of a van with no top, just a four-shot harpoon shooter, a beat-up Volkwagen Bug with jagged saws stuck on either side, and a big red truck, pull up, the truck headed towards you, the other two flanking. It's a patrol stop, and they're flying flags of Safeco and Admiral's inside gang.

What do you do?

Comments

Two answers to the question about my favorite part of this fine vehicle. First is something likely to go away soon, so I'm enjoying it while I can: the suspension hasn't been beat to hell by the red-soaked so-called "streets" yet, so the ride's almost what you could call smooth. The second seems likely to get better and better with time: Don't know what Runaround did to fix up the seats, but the driver's seat already fits like a glove. Only took about a day or two to break it in, and it's a good feeling, confirmation that this is mine.

When I see the Safeco patrol coming at us, I stop the car and grab my shotgun from the holster built into the door. It's just across my lap at the moment, but you gotta be ready. "They know my vehicle and me, Gates. No reason for this other than boredom or spite, far as I can see."

Sometimes the Lord works in mysterious ways. I tend to find his presence sneakin' up on me when I least expect it. This is one o' those times. That radio- SeaTac don't seem to hear it, but I hear an old hymn. A song called Idumea. It's one o' my favorite songs. But now it's got a bit o' urgency to it. Am I born to die? To lay this body down? And must my trembling spirit fly into a world unknown? I worry the Lord is tryin' to tell me somethin' by playin' this song fer me.

SeaTac snaps me out o' my thoughts when he points out the Safeco patrol.

"Yeah, SeaTac, but I'll tell ya what, stuff goin' on with me, it seems that there ain't no coincidences right now. I might be yer bad luck charm, here."

Gates and SeaTac,
    Out of the big truck steps a burly man with a scraggly beard and a shock of dyed red hair. It's Salmon, SeaTac. Flying Safeco colors. He's acting like he's in charge of this patrol, and he's heading your way, a wide, malevolent grin on his face. The van has their crossbows aimed at you, a fight will start if you make a move.

What do you do?

"Ain't about you, Rev. At all." If it was just me, and if they weren't flying Safeco colors... Well, with Salmon, maybe even if he was flying Safeco colors... but with Rev in the car, no way am I pushing it.

I roll down the window, no more, and I wait. I can take grief. I'm a patient man.

Gates and SeaTac,

Salmon comes around to the driver's side, but stops at the wheel well. "SeaTac, I want you to step out of this car. Show me your hands!"

What do you do?

I put my hands on the top of the steering wheel. "What's the problem here, Salmon. You know I live at Safeco. Even been the Admiral's envoy, once upon a time." Not stepping out, at least not yet.

Gates and SeaTac,

He doesn't object, but looks past you, SeaTac, to Gates, still speaking to you, though, "Who's the old soaker?"

"This is Gates. His people helped get the rooms ready for HM's folks." Aside from that, I'll let Gates speak for himself.

Not sure I want to step in too much here until I get a better sense o' what's goin' on. SeaTac seems to have this under control and seems to know these fellas a bit more than I do.

I nod. "That's correct. Good t' meet you."

Readin' a sitch

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 3. Total: 8)

Hmmmm... what might be our best way past these folks?

Gates,

Best way for you to get past, Gates? Step out and walk there. Salmon's itching for an excuse to hurt or kill SeaTac. This is going to go badly.

Best way for you both to get past? Bribe the man. This vehicle would work nicely. Some hefty barter. Maybe one of your flock... Rei, QuePasa.

This is a situation we have, here. Salmon's feeling his oats today, and blames me for the fact that he keeps sending his fresh meat at me and I keep eating it. I could've avoided this by taking Admiral up on his job offer, but that rain's already fallen. "Any particular reason for this chat, Salmon?"

Keepin' quiet for now. This is SeaTac's kind o' deal, not mine. Things go south, though, might ask the Lord fer a little help...

Gates and SeaTac,

"I'm running Admiral's Inside Gang now, SeaTac." Salmon says with a sneer. "And I'm keeping the path from Pike," he points past you towards the market, "And Safeco," he gestures back with his head towards the big stadium, "Free from riffraff. And you... are riffraff."

He points at you, glaring, "Get the flood. Out of this car."

Both vehicles have weapons aimed at you both. What do you do?

Keeping my right hand on the wheel, I reach the left through the open window and grab the door handle from the outside, then carefully step out, presenting as little threat as I can, then put my hands on my head. "No trouble here, Salmon."

Some people are so hard they can't ever submit to a bully like this. Me? I'm so hard I know I can kill him later, so it doesn't much matter.

Not much to do here but follow SeaTac's lead. I make like he did, reachin' out with my hand, openin' the door from the outside. Strange world these folks inhabit, but I'm playin' by their rules right now.
  • edited November 2015

Gates and SeaTac,

SeaTac, if you're willing to submit to some rough treatment and keep civil with Salmon, I'd like to see you Act Under Fire here. On a 10+, you play it so cool that Salmon's gang loses their interest quick and he lets you go without any more trouble. On a 7-9, you get out of there, but take 1-Harm AP.

If you miss, both you and Gates are in for some pain.

I will roll those dice. Sorry, Valentine.

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 3, 5. Total: 10)

Gates and SeaTac,

Salmon berates the two of you about keeping the way clear and safe, but you both keep it cool and he realizes he can't trump anything up. SeaTac, you recognize the inside gangers here, and none of them are Salmon's guys. He could push things with you, but it's dicey which was those gangers would go. Would they follow him and push you around? Or would they flip flop?

After a few minutes, he heads back to his truck and climbs up in it, and the van driver waves you guys on. Once you head in and park, where are you headed? To see Vignette, right? Going to Yacht Club?

You both hear the chants of "Dog! Dog of the Arrows! Dog's gonna kill Balance! Dog!" coming from folks milling about, from the fans in the stadium seats, even from rattonastik vendors.

Vignette was the plan, yeah. But I'll detour us to an overlook that's not too crowded, see what we can see. If Dog's in the Duel, it should be worth seeing.

Gates is fine with that. A little itchy to get to Vignette, but not above takin' a look at what's goin' on with Dog.

Gates and SeaTac,

As you head across the middle-ways where the vendors sell and people watch without seats, you hear people talking about Dog already. The excitement of her entry and the rumors of the cause have spread like wildfire.

"...I heard Pine up and quit!"

"No way, you soaking idiot, Balance sneaked in and cut her throat!"

"Dog asked Pine to give her a chance to kill Balance but good. I saw how Balance almost killed Bon. They're tight!"

"I heard Grimace exploded!"

"What're the odds on Balance?"

"On Balance? You fool, take Dog, she's Safeco!"

"Jingle spends either way, damp-head."

"Sounds like our friend is the talk o' the town, SeaTac."

I don't mind takin' a minute to see how Dog does, but my mind is definitely on finding Vignette and Rain. I'm already scannin' around for any sign of 'em.

I make my way up to the edge and look for myself, but one of the comments catches my ear. I ask someone close, "What happened to Grimace?"
  • edited November 2015

Gates and SeaTac,

Seaward
    Seaward, who normally guards the greenhouse, answers, "Accident in the garage. Grimace fell on Pine, somehow. Car's slagged. She's in the clinic now, they say she's dying."

Splash that. Still, nothing I can do, if she's with Bon, and suddenly Dog's run seems less important. One problem at a time. "Reverend, I'll have to check on Pine shortly, but let's us head up to the Yacht Club and do what we came for, yeah?" I take a last glance down, then start to lead the way.

"Works fer me, friend. Lead the way."

To be honest, I'm glad to have SeaTac at my side, here. This is a little out o' my comfort zone. Rough folks.

Gates and SeaTac,

Please go here.