[Fury] Slow Boeing (Gates 5.3, Vignette 5.3)

edited November 2015 in Fury

Gates,

While Boeing has run off to gather things, Vignette is chatting with Cujo or... whatever they do. August left with Admiral, and you're here at Yacht Club waiting. Valentine is swallowed up with the aftermath of the Motor Duel and the gambling, ze looks very stressed (for zir) about it, but there's a throng around, not like you can ask what's up.

HM is sitting at Admiral's normal table, with Hope. It's almost like HM is testing out the table, he looks rather comfortable there.

What do you do?

Comments

I'm nervously tappin' my foot. This just ain't my scene. That kid better hurry up and get here so we can get goin'. Hopin' the family is still okay. I should be there. Rain has me a bit... turned around. Havin' to deal with him instead o' bein' where I should be.

I start to look around. What sorts o' things draw people to somethin' like this...

Readin' a sitch...

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 1, 2. Total: 4)

Gates,

It seems that some folks at the bar are yelling about "getting paid", and Ivar and Needle are trying to keep things calm. There's shoving and a few folks, "Give me my soaking jingle!" Valentine's trying to get up on the bar, but for some reason, ze falls. Not sure if ze was shoved or just the surging crowd of a couple dozen angry folks caused it.

You have a sense of people, Gates, of emotion. This is a powderkeg. Some people are already starting for the door, and Admiral's inside gang is busy down at the arena mopping up Tax Patrol.

Near you, Cigarette Girl is putting her tray over on a table and drawing out a wicked straight razor, she looks like she's going to wade in there.

What do you do?

As soon as Valentine his the ground I'm up on a table yellin' to folks.

"People, people, listen... whatever's goin' on, let's keep this place calm. Valentine keeps us all in food and drink and oils the whole machine o' this place, so I'm sure that whatever we need, ze's good fer it. Now we all just saw quite a duel out there, and we're here to have a good time, so let's see if we can't help Val to zir feet, turn the hostility down a notch, and get back to havin' fun with each other. Don't that sound like a plan to you good folks?"

Rollin' frenzy...

(Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 3. Total: 10)

Holdin' three. Spendin' the first one to get them all celebratin' and happy as opposed to agitated.

Gates,

You're able to get folks calm enough not to riot, but there are bottles out, and mugs held like weapons, they're riled. Cigarette Girl hides her straight razor real quick and gets her tray. Valentine takes the moment to offer a free round on the house, and things start to settle.

You spot Vignette and a few Pike folks with her. She looks seriously upset about... something. Maybe this?

Vignette,

When you come in, Gates is up on a table, talking everyone down. He's got a real gift, and while folks aren't about to riot for now, Valentine's giving out free drinks, ze never does that. It's not right.

What do you do?

I am thankful to see Gates here. He seems to be keeping things from exploding. It is a powder keg for sure, but I had expected a shootout or a free-for-all.

“We are going to help them hold this place,” I say to Jax. “Gates has a grip on them. We will just lend our weight to his side of the rope.” I say this quietly, in a tone of encouragement, not of command. I do not fault him for wanting to leave.

I wait for a response from Jax, but regardless of what it is, I stride through the crowd, relying on fear to part the sea of people head and shoulders taller than me. I walk up to Valentine and ask, “What do you need?”

Vignette,

Jax does that huff of breath like he doesn't agree but he knows he can't fight you on it and win, so he falls in behind you.

photo Valentine_zpssjfm5cvh.jpg
    "Oh," Valentine says as ze brushes off non-existent dirt from zir pants and vest, checks zir hat for dirt and whatnot. Ze pulls you aside to talk, then gestures for Gates, too.

Gates,

Valentine chats with Vignette briefly, then ze gestures for you, a little come-hither finger curl.

Both,

Valentine leads you to the kitchen where Uni is busy tapping a keg. Ze turns and dons zir hat again, satisfied with it. After a sigh, ze admits, "I'm hosed, my friends. I left him in charge of the books while I ran tables. Even though Admiral extended me for more profits, he took a bigger cut. Now, after tabulating what my people took on marks, I'm short. I can't cover the winnings and pay Admiral. And you bought me some time, friend Gates, but only so long, you know?" Ze exhales again, pushing away the panic, replacing it with a smile. "I am caught between Scylla and Charybdis."

With a rueful laugh, "Anyone want a bar, gently used?"

What do you do?

"How short are you? I ask zir.

I turn to Jax. “I think we have some funds to invest, yes?” My eyes flick back to Valentine as I say, “To invest in part ownership of a bar? Very silent part ownership–as in we three know.”

I turn back to Jax. “I have been thinking we should diversify. The fortunes of gangs can be very uncertain,” I say, inclining my head toward the arena.

I smile broadly. "Val, my folks are hurtin' right now, so I don't have too much to give you, but you know you can count on me, all of us, actually, for support of the non-monetary kind. In fact, I'd be happy to make sure folks leave here in a calm mood, if need be. Seems they listened to me when I told 'em to relax, so hopefully I can tell 'em to keep it up, as well."

I put my hand on Val's shoulder. "Seriously, though, long term, we need to make sure yer stable. I say you take Vin up on her offer."
  • photo Valentine_zpssjfm5cvh.jpg
    Valentine leans back against a metal table, placing zir hands flat on the surface, listening. A deep breath, the smile crinkles into something more genuine. "My... friends. I would happily accept a shadow investor," Valentine nods to you, Vignette. Ze looks to you, Gates, "Anything you can do to help them swallow this bitter pill would be most appreciated. I don't need to lose my shirt, and then see my staff and my place suffer."

With a spring in zir step, Valentine pushes zirself up and steps over to give each of you a warm hug. "I owe you both so much. More than jingle. Please don't take this as empty promises."

What do you do?
  • edited November 2015

I return Valentine’s hug awkwardly, rushing the conversation to the safety of discussing business. “Can you cover the bets of the crowd?” I ask Valentine. “If so, I can cover the Admiral’s cut for you for, say, a 1 in 5 share of the Club?”

I turn to Jax. “We have that jingle set aside to cover the Tax Patrol drop next week. I do not think we will be needing that. If they show, we will offer them terms more suited to their new status. If they do not like it, tell them they can sell their loot at Safeco, ” I add with a wicked grin.

• Jax
    "Heh, that hornet's nest is a bit smaller now, true." Jax agrees. Vignette, you can tell Jax is mildly interested in this turn of events.

"One in five?" Valentine muses. "Can we work on some concessions on supplies from Pike to help me cover costs with what's left? If so, then we have a deal." Ze looks to you, Gates, "I can pay in food and coffee, Gates. Get this lot to swallow a bitter pill of delayed payments, but with Vignette's help, I can settle scores. Help them to see sense, and you and yours will be fed well for your efforts. Is that fair?"

“Of course,” I say, smiling. “But that too must be kept quiet, or someone will conclude I have a stake in the place–or have gone soft.”

I probably lingered a bit longer in that hug from Val than was proper. Hope ze didn't notice...

"Yeah, Val. I'd be happy to go talk to the crowd some more."

Vignette and Gates,

"Brilliant! It's settled then." Valentine answers as Uni moves between you all to carry out some more drinks and clean glasses to Ivar. Valentine looks to each of you, "Shall we?"

Gates, when you head back out, what is it that you do? The crowd's still inclined favorably to you, of course.

I get up on a table to address the crowd again.

"Folks, let me tell you somethin' about our friend Valentine. Ze's in a little bit o' debt right now, which means things aren't gettin' paid out today. I know that's disappointing, but I also know that each and every person in here probably owes Val more than ze owes them. Iff'n Val ain't ever let you have a free drink or a meal on zir, or put a roof over yer head to keep you dry, or at least just lent an ear when you needed, raise yer hand. And if you raise yer hand, I'll call you a liar to yer face. Like I said, ze greases this whole machine. So here's what we're going to do: we're all gonna help Val pay things off. I ain't sayin' you ain't gettin' yer winnings. You all know Val's good fer it. You just ain't gettin' it today. Instead, today, we're gonna all chip in to Val to help zir out, then we'll keep a list o' what folks are owed and when they contributed. Once everything's all settled up, you'll all get yer winnings. But, frankly, I say that this is the least we could do fer ol' Val, whose done so much fer us, you think, folks?"

Spending a hold to put the crowd in a sharin' type mood.

Vignette and Gates,

Gates, when you first announce that debts won't be settled today, a few folks angrily complain, but they are hushed down by others when you keep talking. At that point when you ask for hands to be raised by those Val hasn't helped, there aren't any.

Valentine comes up as you finish to help mark down all debts, and she offers food and coffee for those who will take it in trade for their winnings. A few jokes about "The house bet on Balance, how stupid is that?" gets a laugh and a proper smile from Valentine, and it seems the crisis is averted.

What do you do?

I survey the scene.

"See folks, a tiny bit o' understandin' goes a long way. Like I said, we'll make sure folks get paid out. Now, let's just get back to livin' our lives, what say you?"

Spendin' a hold to have folks go back, quietly, to their regular lives.

Gates,

Folks raise a toast to you, Gates, glasses of water and booze raised high, congratulations and camaraderie given freely, back slapping, even a few apologies. Boeing comes back in, looking around, making a direct route to you. He's got a small traveling pack and some protective gear for the rain.

Boeing_Header
    "I have a couple masks, Gates." Boeing says, trying to help.

What do you do?

Vignette,

HM is trying to beckon you over. He's sitting with Hope, who's been watching this trouble with Yacht Club with sharp eyes, she seems clear-headed today, worried.

Jax
    "We should drive back to Pike soonest, Bosslady." Jax suggests. "Riesling and Townie will stick around for August, I think."

What do you do?

“You are right, Jax. I have kept us long enough. Thank you for being so patient. Go ahead and round up our crew and prepare to leave. I will say my goodbyes.”

With that, I stride to where Hope and Harbormaster sit. I take Hope’s hand briefly, saying, “Hope, it was nice to see you. I am sorry we did not get a chance to talk. Please tell the Admiral I said goodbye,” I add, more irritation creeping into my voice than intended.

Turning to Harbormaster, I incline my head. “Harbormaster. I fear I cannot stay another minute more without overtaxing poor Jax. Perhaps another time, unless you would like to walk with me.”

Vignette,

Hope offers a small smile to your apology, as if to say it was nothing.

Harbormaster2
    HM stands up from the booth, "Yes, I'll walk with you, Vignette." He offers an arm, do you take it?

As you're headed out of the Yacht Club, with Jax, Holster and Riesling in tow, he asks, "Did you enjoy yourself at the Motor Duel? The results should be very profitable for Pike."

"You walked in the rain with these before, Boeing? Seems a little unsafe, to me..."

Gates,

Boeing_Header
    Boeing looks at the gear for a moment, back up at you, a sheepish expression on his face, "No, never used it. Before. A, ah, a client gave it to me." He chews on a bottom lip, "We can stay here. I have a room. For you. Us. Whatever."

You see Vignette and Jax walking with HM. Vignette rode here, Gates. Looks like they're leaving.

What do you do?

Well don't this just put me between a rock and hard rain.

Readin' the sitch.

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 6, 3. Total: 10)

I give a look around. Lord help me out here...

Who's in control here?
    What should I be on the lookout fer?
    What's my best way out (to home, ideally)?

I take Harbormaster’s arm when he offers it. People will talk–he is not beloved…but neither am I. We are both outcasts of a sort, and he was kind to me back at the harbor.

“Yes,” I say when he mentions the blow dealt to the Tax Patrol. “I proposed to the Admiral the idea that the Tax Patrol had outlived their usefulness. I did not expect their demise to be quite so rapid, but it is not unwelcome. With the Tax Patrol decimated and scattered, trade can flow freely between Safeco and Pike. It will be good for everyone. Except Tax Patrol,” I add with a smirk. “Was Salmon present? I think I would like to have his head mounted on our lead vehicle for the drive back to Pike, in case Tax Patrol stragglers are misinformed about their status.”

Gates,

Who's in control here?
    What should I be on the lookout fer?
    What's my best way out (to home, ideally)?

Right now? You're in control of the Yacht Club, Gates. These folks will long remember what you did today.

You should be on the lookout for staying away from your people too long, and they're still starving, by the way.

Your best way home today is a ride with Vignette.

Vignette,

Harbormaster2
    HM nods along about the benefits, it surely benefits him, too. Good trade means good jingle, and the best place to spend it is here, in the arms of his workers. As for your question, he looks at you for a moment like you're joking, "Salmon? He helped kill some of the Tax Patrol. Admiral's rather pleased with him right now. He's leading the Outside Gang."
  • edited November 2015

“Sounds like a good deal for both,” I say. “Gives Salmon a better gig and allows the Admiral to get double benefit from boosting his resources and removing Salmon’s Raiders from the board as the same time. Still,” I continue, “I hope the Admiral keeps a close watch on him. Anytime someone moves from running their own thing to a position under someone else, it merits close watching, wouldn’t you agree?”

Vignette,

Harbormaster2
    "Indeed, Vignette," HM says in a tone like he's already considered the threat Salmon might pose. "You look lovely. I saw you had a... unpleasant conversation with your lover. Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Thank you," I say in response to Harbormaster's compliment. I start to blush. I do not know why. I am unused to that kind of attention, I guess.

My blush deepens when he mentions "my lover". I almost protest the label, but aside from not wanting to label it, I do not have any real reason to protest.

"I wish I knew. She acts all tough--and she is, but she is not. I thought I would show that I listen, that I pay attention. Things did not work out as I expected, but it seems like it was not was she wanted anyway."

I pause, considering how much to say. "You know I can get inside people's minds, yeah? I do not do that with her. I thought I was being respectful, but now I am blind. I do not know what she is thinking or what she wants." I throw my hands up in frustration. "I do not know how normal people do it."

I give Boeing a suspicious look and tell him to hold on a minute.

"Hey, Vin- Mind if myself and our friend here get a ride back with you? It would beat walkin'."

“Of course you can, Gates. I would not have it otherwise,” I reply, wondering how much Gates overheard. I smile, silently willing Harbormaster to be discreet. I am not embarrassed by Cujo–rather the opposite. I just do not like revealing private details about myself. The Witch of Pike should be mysterious. Maybe a change of subject…

“Did you enjoy the duel, Gates? Or the aftermath? I would guess your family will not miss the Tax Patrol.”

I shrug.

"Well, enjoy isn't the right word, but you ain't wrong about the family. And thanks, Vin. I'm happy to have the ride. I'm, uh, well... I'm itchy to get back to the family and hopefully get things taken care of. This whole thing with Rain has me a bit shaken up."

Gates and Vignette,

Harbormaster2
    "Travel safely, Vignette." HM says warmly. He gives you that disconcerting grin of his. "Father Gates, I see that Boeing is with you, is that correct?"

What do you do?

“Gates, if more of your flock are about, you may get as many of you as will fit in or on our vehicles.” I smile. “If I were not the Witch of Pike, I would walk like I used to, but it seems one of my duties is to look important, and Jax would have a floodworthy fit.”

I turn back to Harbormaster, drawing him a few steps away. “Forgive me–it seems all things pull me toward Pike this evening. Thank you for your concern, but unless you and Cujo are secret confidants, I doubt there is much help you can give me…though I believe you are something of an expert in discerning what people want. If you have any advice about Cujo wants…” I sigh, shrug, and shake my head a little, clearly at a loss.

I smile, politely I suppose, at HM. "Well, Boeing said you had some gifts for the family, which I do appreciate, so he's going to come back to present them. Got a few folks who can really use them."

Gates and Vignette,

Harbormaster2
    "Vignette," HM responds with what passes for an encouraging grin, "I'm sure I can help you with some advice. I'll offer a compassionate ear as soon as I'm able." He turns his head to regard you again, Gates, "Ah, very well. I am glad we can help you, Father Gates."

Seems like nothing left for you here, right? Right.

End Scene