[DVFP] The New Pit (G 5.3, M 5.4)

We pick up with the Crue mixing in with the Diamond staff at The New Pit. Quiet Riot's grabbed her man and led him away, while Queensrÿche is chatting with some laborer from the arena. Word is that the Arena's having a huge concert tomorrow morning, and everyone's eating and enjoying all the free shite that The Fat Man's been handing out with his soldiers. Esco's here, behind the bar with his man JD.

Motley, Marigold is right by your side, but she's been chatting and waving at the others from Diamond, enjoying their company. She is very comfortable with these people. Dokken left a little while ago, headed off somewhere with Ivy to Fug for "a while". He left you in charge.

Gigg, first of all, what was it like, leaving your junkyard for probably the last time? Did you do anything while Last and her Zons headed northwest and the Crue started east?

What do you do?

Comments

• In the quiet loneliness of the Junkyard, it reminded me of what it was like in the old days when I would spend days and weeks without seeing another soul. Just me and Pops. Talking 'bout life, gigs, rhymin' and stealin'. And for a moment, part of me wished to go back to that simpler time. But the silence now ain't so silent. Gut him. Gut him. Gut him...ringing in my ears as I finished a new set of knee braces from that scrap metal Krin helped me collect.

Lala was right. Burn it all down. Leave a scorched scar so wide, so deep, so painful, that no one will ever forget this ain't the bye-and-bye. No amount of grass or 'lectric air, or stuffy libraries with fine cigars can turn this place into sumpin' it ain't. For most of us, it's hell. It's pain. Hunger. Thirst. Violation. Terror. And it's time to remind erryone this ain't no fairy world. So, I piled every tire layin' around the 'Yard just a dry rottin' into a big 'ole pyre, and tossed all the bodies of the dead Obsids and the Fat Man's soldiers on top. Chaz always kept a stash of fuel in the shed, and I dowsed that pile of tires and every junker car in the 'yard that had anything in it that could still burn.

And then I set it the muggaphugga ablaze.

The heat was enormous within just a few minutes. And the black smoke? Well, I can still see it from the Depot here. It'll burn for weeks. Maybe months. It'll be visible from all over the Valley.

I gathered my gear, my skin almost blistering... mask pulled over my face filtering out the smoke that blotted out the sun... "Lala? Shall we go end this?" I whispered and I walked out of 'Yard and into late afternoon desert, my body fading slowing into the psychic maelstrom...

While drifting there with Lala, I thought about seeing Esco one last time. He was no friend of the The Fat Man, and then suddenly I was there... at this new Pit... where Motley told me Esco landed after gettin' run outta the Irons by the UF. One last goodbye...

No shirt... No shoes... I approach the bar, "Can't say you missed a beat, huh? What's the good word, Esco? "

I order a beer and find a table with the crue that are still hanging around. At least that is the way I try to portray myself on the outside. I try to catch Esco's eye. I see Gigg start chatting him up and curse my bad luck. I got to talk to him without making it to obvious. This is the last chance to see if which way we gonna get our freedom. I slam my beer down on the table splashing some of its amber liquid on the surface.
    "How's about I buy you all a drink?" I say with a smile and walk up to the bar. I get JD's attention and ask for a mug of the best brew he has for my crue. I purposefully try to avoid direct eye contact with Esco, but place my my right hand thumbs up on the counter in line of sight of Esco. I hold it long enough to be sure he sees it then I flatten my hand palm down. I hope he understands the signal, he should know some of our gestures, he should know it was a question if everything is ready or not. I hope he knows. I grab the mug from JD and head back to the table.
    Gigg,
    Esco brushes fingers through his greasy hair, he's not yet adjusted to the heat. He gives you a winsome smile, "Wot, Gigg? Yeah, New Pit's not the final name, givin' folks a chance ta adjust. Word is that yer dead, fella. That's the word." He pulls up two shot glasses, puts them down side-by-side, brings up a bottle with a metal nozzle and pours some thick clear liquid into each.

"Ta new lives, alright?" He takes up a shot, holds it up, waiting for you to join him.

Motley,
    "You don't gotta, Mot," Motorhead says. "Listen, man, are you alright? Can't believe you let Dokken keep the reins." He leans in a little, with Tesla right there by a couple others. "I thought you'd take over when we rode back to you."
  • I push the mask up off my face and onto the top of my head, and throw my head back an pour the shot into the back of my throat. "That's good. Warms your bones down deep, Esco." I motion delicately that I'd like another shot, "If you heard I was dead, then you know I was the one that hit the Palace then, huh?"
    Gigg,
    Esco pours another shot, a soft chuckle rumbles as he says, "S'prised the liquor didn't fekkin' seep outta ya, yeah?" Making a joke about all the bullet holes that he'd heard you'd have.

On the question about the hit on the Palace, he nods, "I did hear 'bout it. Did a number on the doors an' a helo came in, yeh? Fattie's scramblin' ta show he's still in charge. 'is goons come 'round with food an' drink, there's a big concert." He pauses and scowls, "Fekkin' Sierra's headlinin'. They say he's comin' out fer it, wot? Show 'em all he's the cock o' the walk still." He finishes his shot, "Guess I oughta keep a lid on ya bein' fekkin' around still?"
  • "He's comin' outta the Palace? For a concert? You gotta be kiddin' me? Where?" I slam back another shot of Esco's liquor.
    Gigg,
    "The Fat Man'll be in the Arena tomorrow mornin'" he pauses and flips his toothpick from one side of his mouth, to the other. "Of course, there'll be lots of his soldiers, too, yeah? But he'll be there."
  • "In the mornin' you say? Huh." Does that bastard not believe I'm back? That I'm coming for him? Or is this some kinda trap? "Esco, I trust you, so I'm letting ya know. I'm aimin' to take him down, and by the sounds of it.... tomorrow mornin'. Knowin' you to be no fan of the Fat Man, you want any piece of this? Or you content to help pick up the pieces of the chaos that will follow his public disembowelment?"
    Gigg,
    Esco bites on his toothpick, evading an answer on your promise of carnage to say, "The Fat Man spooks easy - if he hears the almighty Gigg is comin' for his arse, he's liable to bolt. Why don't you stay here the night, bury yerself in some snatch? Lay low. keep the element of surprise."
  • Snatch? Ehhhh...Hmmm... I rub my forehead with one hand and motion for another shot with the other. "I was goin' to ask if I could crash here tonight, so ya readin' my mind on that. But... but... I'm.. I'm alot to ask from a girl, ya know. For lots of reasons..." I look down the bar avoiding Esco's eyes, taking a peek to see where Motley's at. "But, I can't seem to get warm these last few days, so maybe, yeah, I mean... sure, but, ya know if she's like you know... uhhhh... freaked out... you know it's cool, either way. It, it, it, won't hurt my feelings, ya know. But, yeah, a warm place to lay low, would be appreciated, yeah." I drum the bar with my fingers waitin' on Esco to pour that third shot.
    Gigg,
    Esco summons Sasha over from the crowd, "Don't you worry 'bout the girls — they specialize in makin' folks welcome, and keepin' 'em warm at night." When Sasha arrives, he throws an arm around her shoulder, "Ain't that right Sash?"

Sasha blinks once like she's setting herself, then nods. Smacks her lips as she opens then, "Whatever you need, big guy. Warmth, comfort, whatever." She brushes against you as she leans over the bar to take the bottle from Esco, then pours you that third shot, takes Esco's glass herself and hands you yours while holding up hers, "What are we celebrating?"
  • I look at Sasha trying to convince myself she's sincere, and a glance back to Esco for reassurance. Thankful that she poured the drink, I lift the glass to meet her, "Whadya guys call it... uhhh... I never really got it, but I think I know what it means... To Early Release!"
    Gigg,
    Sasha meets your toast, "To Early Release!" She downs her drink, then loops an arm in yours, looking up at you. "I'm pretty sure that means "To Death"." She looks over your body for a few moments. "What's... happened to you? You look so different... you're even talking different now."
    Motley,
    Esco uses the Sasha distraction to come over to your table, Motley. He flips a chair around to sit backwards on it, "Mot, whether you kill Fleece or not, that witch is make you'n yours rot in here 'til the day you die... You need to accept that, yeah?" He leans in, and puts a hand on Mot's shoulder, "There's only one trump card when it comes to Gloriana: Sierra. If we convince that witch Sierra's life is on the line, she'll march down here for the slaughter of her own fekin' accord. You go get Sierra, hold her 'hostage'," he does little air quotes to accentuate the word, "And tell the witch to release your people, or Sierra dies. I'll step in and offer to broker a deal between you. When Gloriana comes in to deal, we end her — and just like that, you're off the hook, and this shite ends."
  • edited April 2017

Motley doesn't answer Motörhead when he prompts the take over, at least not right away. "Motor, I do this stuff for all o' you. But things ain't been how they should for a while now. In my head, I mean, I think with Dokken running the show it'll teach him that it ain't all piss and spit to lead you all and it will give me some time to try and fix whate'er is all screwed up in here" I tap my forehead.

I sit up when Esco comes over, listening to his idea,"Esco, you're probably one of the smartest people I know, and the plan sounds solid enough. It probably has the highest chance of getting my cr.... the crue free of this place. I'll do it, you got an idea where it would be a good public place, one that will get Glorianna's attention? And does Sierra know I'm gonna be threatening her or will this scare the shade outta her too?" I don't know why I ask that, I don't know why it matters. There something about it being towards her that really bugs me...why?

Motley,
    Esco nods, unfazed by your concern, "It's best Sierra doesn't know for now, right? She'd probably say no anyway. Sierra and me rarely saw eye to eye, sadly... Make a big show of it. Either way, I'm sure you can convince her to come along."

I nod, not so sure she would would appreciate anyone telling her this plan, but I would have to give it a try. "It's not like I got much of a choice at this point. Tell me the where and when you want this to go down and I will go talk to her. And where's she at right now."
    Motley,
    With a slightly annoyed shrug, Esco answers, "She's probably playin' that fekin' piano, or fekin' Fleece, or some shite — if Fleece has her way..." Esco pulls his toothpick out, then picks between his front teeth, looks over at Motorhead, then back at you.

"Ok I will go talk to her now. You just want to wait till I make a move?"

After getting his answer, I drain the rest of my mug, look to Motor, Tesla and the others, "Looks like we have a direction to go now. Let's find Sierra and get this the fug done."
  • Most don't ask. They don't really want to know, but here she is askin'. She probably really doesn't want to know this truth. But maybe this truth will spare me the awkwardness of Esco's snatch later on.... "You sure you really want to know what happened to me? No shame in pretending like nothing's different. But I warn ya," tapping the side of my head with one finger, "there's mor'n one of us rattlin' around inside here."
    Gigg,
    Sasha looks at you thoughtfully for a moment, does some mental math. She takes another shot, makes a slight face at the bite from the rotgut, then smacks her lips and blows out a breath. "More than one of you in there? So... who was I talking to before? And who now?" She nods, gives you a look like "ok, hit me".
  • I cock my neck quickly and nod slightly as if to say OK. "So, Sasha, how long you been here? You an old-timer? Or a bit of a newbie 'round these parts?"
    Gigg,
    Sasha huffs a laugh at the thought of being a "newbie", "I'm one of Esco's first girls, Gigg." She reaches for the bottle and pours another shot, holds it up, but pauses before drinking, "Been here since my momma dragged me in with her when I was eight. I'm not as old as you or Esco, but I've seen my share of shite." Then she downs the shot, turns the glass over and slams it onto the bar, looks up at you with unsteady eyes. "Why?"
  • "Well... not sure how well known this is outside of The Fat Man's compound, but a few years ago one of his sons escaped the Palace in the back of a box truck, then stole a bike, and fled off into the desert with some cowboys in hot pursuit. Neither the cowboys or the Fat Man's son was ever seen or heard from again." I pause to pour myself another drink, just something to hold and smell and maybe taste it on my lips. "His son was named Will Isaac, and he lived his life mostly in the underground bunker under the Palace, essentially a prisoner in his own home for reasons of "keeping him safe from the chum out there." I pause for a few seconds, "But there's more to this story that no one else knows...." I glance up from staring at the bar and look at Sasha and bring the glass to my lips to get a taste of the liquor on my tongue, eyebrows raised as if waiting to see if she's interested in hearing more.
    Gigg,
    She is interested, you catch her looking up at you, face open, no longer feigning interest like she would a customer, more like a person interested in a story, even if it's a tall tale, or a macabre one.

"More? What more?" She reaches up to pat your forearm, "Go on, Gigg."
  • I nod slightly and set the glass down on the bar. "So, those gangbangers had shot him up real good, and Will was bleedin' out while tryin' to outrun 'em. Lost cause. Best he could hope is make it to the Junkyard, hoping it was true that his twin brother lived there." I pause before confirming the inference, "Yeah, that's right. The Fat Man is our father." I stop again to check for evidence of disbelief.
    Motley,
    "Sierra's probably stuck up The Fat Man's arsehole right now, Motley. Better to wait until she's headed to the Arena. I wager she will want to practice, check the acoustics or the like, wot?"
    Gigg,
    Her mouth hangs open for a moment before she recovers, "Gigg, you never told anyone this at Diamond before... what's different? Why are you telling me this now?" She leans into you, eager for more.
  • "You did ask..." I shake my head, "But, he didn't know, Sasha. At least not until all that shite started going down between the Irons and Ziggy. After Ziggy set him up and then killed Chaz, it set things in motion with Gigg that... well... it was like a magic key that unlocked Pandora's box. A lot of stuff locked away tight." I tap my head again with one fingher, and throw back part of the drink, trying to hit the back of the throat, and then wipe my lips with the back of my hand.

"So, the Fat Man's son, Will Isaac, rolls into the Junkyard, bleedin' out and yellin' for help, ditching the bike and scratching and crawling through the sand. By this time The Scorch was full on, and the sun was sappin' him as much as that bullet in his kidney. Gigg comes risin' out of that hole under his bus 'bout the time those cowboys roll up lookin' to finish this thief off and take their bike back. But nobody rides up in the Junkyard with guns ablazin', especially if they are cowboys. And it didn't take long for Gigg to lay out all those cowboys, and then he started trying to save Will Isaac."

I throw back the rest of the drink, "You think this story ends with angels and harps and two long lost brothers reunited." I shake my head slightly and look faraway down the bar at Motley and Esco, "So, Gigg starts tryin' to stop the bleedin'. Ripping his tie off and tying it around his wrist from a shot that nearly tore off his hand. And then taking one of his pelts off and stuffing and puttin' pressure on that kidney shot that was pouring. He kept talking to someone he called Pops, askin' what to do, how to stop it, but there wasn't nobody else around. That's when I looked back over my shoulder and said, Get me... get me... back to Depot. My daddy is the Fat Man... he's got doctors... he'll reward you... for bringin' back his son..." I pause and swallow hard and look at the empty shot and wish I'd saved a little bit more, "Suddenly, Gigg was yellin' No!, saying he couldn't do that. At first I thought he meant he couldn't take me to Depot, but then... then... he flipped me over on my back and started choking me with his bare hands. I was scratching and clawing at him, and kicking, trying to tell him he was my brother, but I couldn't breathe, couldn't speak. All I managed to do was get hold of the mask and rip it off his face..." I'm so lost in the memory that I forget I'm in the body with the mask and the face, "and the last thing I saw was that face... hideous, disfigured.... and crying, mouthing Sorry over and over, until there nothing but a bright blinding light... and... then nothing." I pour another shot, and look up at Sasha, raising the glass in a toast. "And so ends the story of Will Isaac, the son of the Fat Man --- well, at least until the night of the big rain storm...

Cheers, Sasha. To Early Release!
    And I give a mock toast and throw back the shot.

I nod at the info, "At the Arena then. I'll make the move there."
    I stand up, purpose and plan in mind, off to pretend to kill Sierra. I hope this don't get me killed as well.
    Gigg,
    Sasha drinks with you, starting to get a little tipsy. "That's a helluva story, big guy. So... are you Will Isaacs... in there? Come back to haunt and shite? Or-or what?" She smacks her lips, following but not totally believing, or not wanting to believe.

Motley,
    As you stand and start to leave, Marigold walks with you, moving to your side, "Motley, baby," she says low, leaning to your ear, "Sierra and me, we're close. Real good friends. Maybe you don't have to threaten her to go? We can tell her to come with, but if the Fat Man doesn't want her to escape, we can just make it look that way, right?"
  • "Something like that, yeah." I grimace and exhale out loud, feeling the heat and sting of the liquor going down. "Gigg's still in here too, although more or less unleashed memories and raw emotion. Rage. Vengeance. Guilt. Regret. Betrayal. Abject loneliness. Abandonment. Sadness. And love, so much love. But it's difficult to judge where he ends and I begin, because so much of that belongs to me too." I wipe my face downwards with the palm of my hand, "Not sure exactly how it happened and there's no way it makes sense. Gigg was most definitely shot dead by the Flippers on the raid of the Palace to free Foster's little girl from The Fat Man. He was using the little girl to bit and bridle Foster, and he ordered his men to kill her instead of letting Gigg and Last leave with her. Gigg was convinced she was our sister, but I'm not sure. Daddy has a lot of folks he keeps under lock and key.

Anyway, the night of the storm, right after the attack on the Palace, somehow we get up from that pile of bodies they threw outside the wall, and walked away. And tomorrow, we shall have our vengeance. And for Chaz, and Lala, and those poor fuggers on the Borax Bus. Our mamma. And Foster's little girl Li. And all that Last has lost, and for all that Motley has lost, and for anyone that's a pawn in his game, a toy played with and tossed aside when bored, a means to his ends. Call it Fate, karma, God, the Universe. Whatever it is brought the two of us back.
    " I pour one more drink and fill Sasha's as well. "To His Early Release."
    Gigg,
    Sasha downs hers, that's got to be her fourth, maybe her fifth. She gives a lazy smile and pushes herself against you so she can move up on her tippy toes, "Long time ago, Will," she uses the name Will now, like she understands. "Ize here lookin' for new girls for Diamond. I wanted... I wanted to know what my life's s'posed to be about. You get me? I found this seer inna black market. She told me," she holds onto your shoulder and slides around to look in your eyes, "Told me I'd have a ghost kid. Or a... ghost's kid. Never made sense... before."
    What do you do?
  • edited April 2017
    I swallow hard and blink. And then I catch myself just before scolding her for listening to the words of some charlatan running a con. I exhale long and audibly, feeling my own brain swimming in the chemical change brought on by the liquor. "Lissen. I don't know what's gonna come from tonight. Even If I'm... capable, not sure I can even make it through it. It's a minefield in here." I tap the side of my head with my finger again, startled that I'm actually even taking this seriously. Aside from my ever-present Mother, the thought of a Little Sasha growing up without a pops, a real pops, a good pops, damn near triggers an onslaught of emotion like what happened in Cinch's car this morning. Gigg is laying around all over the place in here like electric lines downed after a typhoon. And every wire is as raw and hot as ungrounded A/C. I'm fighting back the rising cries, when I catch eye of him again, talking intently with Motley.

Esco!

There ain't a better pop in all the valley but he'd threaten to slit your throat for callin' him that, I'd guarantee.

I close my eyes and slightly shake my head, Gigg risin' and helping quell the tide of emotion. I open my eyes, and grab Sasha firmly by the shoulders with both hands, "Lissen to me good, Sasha, you gotcha ears on? I know you'll be the best momma, but if anything comes of tonight, you keep that little teeter under Esco, you hear? Promise me! Don't you leave him. That teeter'll need a pop, a good pop,
    you hear me?
    " My eyes begging for agreement, my heart suddenly swollen with hope that I might leave one good thing behind.

OOC: Angling to Read a Person - Sasha
    Gigg,
    Sasha grins and pats your arm, "Will, I'm not juss onea Esco's first girls... I'm his best girl. I'm here for life. The Diamond's my home." She nods, as much for herself as you, "Esco'd make sure the kid gets what... a kid needs. Me, too." She takes your wrist, tugs gently, "C'mon. Less go."
  • I follow Sasha's lead, but when we start to walk by Esco, I stop for moment. "Esco, tomorrow all hell's gonna break loose. But a fella, a quick fella, could be running Depot by sunset. Needs to be running Depot by sunset. You're the only one in Depot with a 12-hour headstart on what's going down. Don't waste it."

I look to Marigold, "Yeah 'Gold, I don't want to hurt Sierra, only make it look convincing to Gloriana. If we can let her know what is planned the better. But its gotta look real enough for Glorianna to believe it enough to come down. I may have to draw a little blood and pain. But this is the only way I see this going down without me putting a bullet in Fleece's brain. That'll put a lifetime of hurting on Sierra."
    Gigg, Esco gives you a nod, and as you leave with Sasha to find a place to "sleep", you see him pulling in a few of the unoccupied girls and chatting with them.

Motley, Marigold nods, she doesn't want to hurt Sierra if she can avoid it.

End Scene