[NULL] Introductions

edited May 2017 in nullptr-veil

nullptr

Hi, all! My name is Adam and I'll be MCing this shindig. This is a game of "The Veil" by Fraser Simons. It's a character-driven Cyberpunk game, PbtA, and super keen. It mashes together elements of Apocalypse World, Dungeon World, and Monsterhearts in a very intriguing way — all while paying homage to the introspective "big-question" heritage of the Cyberpunk genre. We'll be building the setting from scratch once character creation is done. I don't have any expectations in terms of game duration, but I expect it to be paced like a 3-4 act movie.

You can download the player handouts here.

Please peruse the list, and lay claim to your preferences in the chat!

Expectations

Because PbtA inevitably touches on some very sensitive subjects, The Veil suggests we have a conversation about game expectations. Please take the time to answer the following questions so we can get a sense of the tone of the game.

• What is your availability for this game? (Post rates, days off, etc)
• What is this game going to be rated? AO? R? PG?
• What would you like to focus on in the tone of the fiction: emotions, interpersonal play/drama, philosophical introspection, action-packed, lighthearted fun?
• Any lines/veils you want on the table?
• What works come to your mind when you think of playing this game? What tropes would you like to hit/avoid?

For the record, I'm available most weekdays during the day, and after 8pm. My weekends are touchy, but I'll try and make an appearance at least once per day. I'm comfortable with any and everything in terms of rating. I'm most heavily inspired by Ghost in the Shell (Movies & TV), Caprica, Almost Human, Mr Robot, Blade Runner, aspects of The Matrix, and games like Transistor, Hyper Light Drifter, and Mass Effect (to a degree).

Comments

• Adam said:

• What would you like to focus on in the tone of the fiction: emotions, interpersonal play/drama, philosophical introspection, action-packed, lighthearted fun?
    • What works come to your mind when you think of playing this game? What tropes would you like to hit/avoid?

I'm most heavily inspired by Ghost in the Shell (Movies & TV), Caprica, Almost Human, Mr Robot, Blade Runner, aspects of The Matrix, and games like Transistor, Hyper Light Drifter, and Mass Effect (to a degree).

Hi all, I'm Rich. I'm available most weekday mornings starting around 7:00 AM Eastern and again after noon. I am usually tied up from 4:00 - 7:00 PM and sometimes playing RPGs over Hangouts from 8:00 - 11:00. I'm normally wired after that and post until midnight. On weekends, I normally post in the afternoon.

I'm good with AO and R, buuuut I need there to be no NSFW images in case I'm playing while at work.

I feel like the game needs us to focus on the emotions of the characters as a central part of the mechanics, so it should be present in the fiction. That aside, I like interpersonal play, a noir feel, and I've chosen a samurai type, so I neeeed some action sequences, but it doesn't need to be the default mode of story.

No violence to kids is a line for me.

As for influences, I am thinking about Ghost in the Shell (mostly 2nd Gig), Johnny Mnemonic, parts of The Matrix, Strange Days, Blade Runner (natch), some of the tech from the Total Recall remake, Fifth Element, Gattaca, Tron: Legacy (mostly outfits and music), Elysium, and I'm sorry, but Nemesis.
    Anime like Cowboy Bebop, Psycho Pass, Serial Experiments Lain, Armitage III: Polymatrix, and now BLAME! are cool for imagery

For Tao specifically, some samurai flicks like Sanjuro, Yojimbo, the Samurai Trilogy (about Musashi Miyamoto), Ran, Kagemusha, Zatoichi, and Hidden Fortress.
  • Hey all I'm Scott! I'm available every day*, but tend to post in spurts around my late morning to lunch time on weekdays, and late evenings if anyone's around. I'm on the west coast (PST) so tend to be a little later to get to things than many of y'all who I know are Eastern.
    *I tend to post significantly less on weekends, sometimes not at all, but that varies depending on family stuffs.
    ---
    Got to be R+ rated for cyberpunk, I think? Also good to keep work-friendly though, and I don't need sex scenes to be too explicit.
    ---
    The answers about tone will probably change as I figure out the setting and my character. All in all though I tend to like character stuff. Interactions, day to day dealing with stuff, small things that make life in the setting unique. Big world-shattering stuff is actually less interesting to me in general.
    ---
    Violence against kids is bad. Also sexual violence isn't something I want to see on screen. The world is hard, stuff happens, but that can happen off screen or be implied. If it's happening to MY pc and that has to be a part of the story, I'm usually fine with it but lets talk a bit before penning a truly harsh scene.
    ---
    I'm not a huge cyberpunk aficionado, but influences are Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, anime such as Armitage III, Battle Angel, Ergo Proxy, for instance.

Haven't decided on playbook yet. Still reading.
  • Hi I'm Trevis. (Introducing is weird, because, you all know me.)

I generally can work in one or two posts during the workday. Beyond that I post evening or late evening most of the time. If we're in a conversational thing I'll respond as quickly as I can. I post some on weekends too, but availability varies.

I figure AO and R for the game rating. I don't care about NSFW so much, as I always respond on mobile when at work.

Emotions/Interpersonal drama with some action is my ideal.

No explicit violence against kids is my main line.

Influences: Ghost in the Shell original and second gig., Appleseed, The Matrix, Altered Carbon, Bladerunner, Minority Report, Harboiled/Noir novels of Ross MacDonald and Raymond Chandler. Gibson's the Sprawl Trilogy. Snow Crash. Deus Ex video games.
  • Adam said:

Hello, world! Mischa here.

I'm down for 1-2 (or more, cross fingers!) posts per workday. Weekend days are just out. Most evenings I should be free-ish unless I'm putting the kids to bed.
    R rating or more please. No NSFW images.
    I would like to see nearly all of those things in play: Yes emotions, yes interpersonal drama, yes philosophical introspection, yes action in various doses.
    I support the previously stated lines. I also don't want to see aliens or giant robots in my cyberpunk.
    All the usual media, plus a dash of Robocop and Steel Beach and Blade Runner and the look of the new Cyberpunk 2077 game and Fifth Element and some of the art of Heavy Metal.