[JunkXIII] Jack the Brainer

edited February 2014 in Junkworld XIII

Jack the Brainer

Silence — or a tremendous lack thereof. Ever since I was a young man, I've been plagued with a near abundance of thoughts — both my own, and others. The darkness of a person's soul is enough to drive a man to drink, and I've observed many a dark corner that people's minds have to offer. I've gotten sick of it, you might say. I've been wandering this world for nearly 23 years, and the only thing that brings me even the slightest solace in these dark times is the beautiful company of Chopin, Bach, Mozart, and Rachmaninoff.

Their music brings me peace.

Looks

I am a man, wearing the finest wear I could get my hands on — a finely woven checkered dress shirt, and corduroy pants. My black peacoat, and finely woven scarf are admittedly a bit warm for the normal weather of this place, but it is quite fetching. A friend of mine once said I had a sweet face, eyes as soft as the moons, and a body equally so ... I probably should shave more often though.

Stats

Cool+1
Hard+3
Hot+1 Sharp=0
Weird+3

Moves

Casual brain receptivity: when you read someone, roll+weird instead of roll+sharp. Your victim has to be able to see you, but you don’t have to interact.
Preternatural at-will brain attunement: you get +1weird (weird+3).
Deep brain scan: when you have time and physical intimacy with someone — mutual intimacy like holding them in your arms, or 1-sided intimacy like they’re restrained to a table — you can read them more deeply than normal. Roll+weird. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 1. While you’re reading them, spend your hold to ask their player questions, 1 for 1:
• what was your character’s lowest moment?
• for what does your character crave forgiveness, and of whom?
• what are your character’s secret pains?
• in what ways are your character’s mind and soul vulnerable?
On a miss, you inflict 1-harm (ap) upon your subject, to no benefit.
Visions of death: when you go into battle, roll+weird. On a 10+, name one person who’ll die and one who’ll live. On a 7–9, name one person who’ll die OR one person who’ll live. Don’t name a player’s character; name NPCs only. The MC will make your vision come true, if it’s even remotely possible. On a miss, you foresee your own death, and accordingly take -1 throughout the battle.

Hx

Stitch Hx+3.
Proper Hx+3.
Aquafina Hx+2.
Bluebury Hx+1.

Relationships

• Parfait is the mother of my child. [X]
• I trust Ro implicitly. [ ]
• Aquafina hates me because I'm different. [ ]
• Nehi trusts my judgment. [ ]

Gear

• scalpels (3-harm intimate hi-tech)
• deep ear plugs (worn hi-tech): Protects the wearer from all brainer moves and gear.
• pain-wave projector (1-harm ap area loud reload hi-tech): Goes off like a reusable grenade. Hits everyone but you.
• 5-barter worth of junk.

Advancement and XP

4/5 XP to advancement.

XX get +1cool (max cool+2).
__ get +1sharp (max sharp+2).
XX get +1hard (max hard+2).
XX get +1hard (max hard+2).
XX get a new brainer move.
__ get a new brainer move.
XX get 2 gigs (detail) and moonlighting.
__ get a holding (detail) and wealth.
XX get a move from another playbook.
__ get a move from another playbook.
-------------------------------
XX get +1 to any stat (max stat+3).
__ retire your character (to safety).
__ create a second character to play.
__ change your character to a new type.
XX choose 3 basic moves and advance them.
__ advance the other 4 basic moves.

Comments

• Jack's first advance was taking +1hard.
  • Jack's second advance was taking +1cool.
  • Jack's third advance was taking the Brainer move Deep Brain Scan which he has embraced with the support of his mother.
  • edited December 2013
    With Jack's fourth advance, he's taking +1hard (max hard+2).

With Jack's fifth advance, he's taking Moonlighting, and 2 gigs:
    • Honest work (1-barter/impoverished)
    • Brokering deals (1-barter/shut out)
  • For Jack's 6th Advance, he took the move Visions of Death from the Battlebabe playbook.

For Jack's 7th Advance, he advanced 3 basic moves: Read a person, Open Brain, and Go Aggro.