[NU] Bribery [Ru2.2]

edited July 2014 in nupocalypse
You arrive outside Doghead's place early in the afternoon with your pack full of the canned food you "found" in Hugo's boys' packs. There was a solid month's worth of food there (OOC: for argument's sake, say 1-barter worth). It has been two weeks, how much of it have you eaten? (OOC: again for argument's sake, it doesn't have to be your only source of food... Though it is a shitload of food) I presume you're dragging Shan along?

Comments

• edited August 2014
    [Rue]

Yeah, Shan's along. I want 'im ta get some credit. An ta stop lookin at me that way, like I'm some awful person. Damn, I hate when 'e does that. Who the hell does 'e think 'e is, judgin' me? At least I know Clare, an 'e knows me, too. Clare aint so bad, but.

Shit, what was I talkin' 'bout? Frakkin Shan, with 'is accusin' eyes on me. Well, I'm givin' a full barter fer penance, so he can just suck onna egg er somethin'.

I'm trompin' right up ta Doghead's door. A-hole's gonna gimmie an earful, I just know it, so's I'm ready ta chew nails.
  • edited July 2014
    Doghead sees you both coming. Shan is hanging back as far as you'll let him, but Doghead comes running out as soon as he spots you. "Awe hell no!" Doghead screams, all but kicking his door open, "you get that thievin' piece of shit away from my fuckin' house!"

Shan is not amused, "Fuck you old man. I told you I never stole your shit."

Doghead looks to you, "You said you'd find my shit. You done stallin' soz I can shoot that fuckin' stealin' cockstick?"
  • edited August 2014
    [Rue]

I thought Ize steeled fer this, but Doghead just gets ta me, ya know? I lookit 'im an hole uppa hand. "Doghead, shut yer trap, ole man. Shan didn't take yer food! I found the frakker who stole yer shit, alright? They're dead now." I drop the bag o' cans, not hard, just drop it in fronta 'im. "Been a bit, so's I aint sure what's yours an what was 'is. Pick out what was took from ya, make sure it makes ya whole. An stop goin after Shan, 'e's a good man, an 'e might stick around if shitheels like you would treat 'im better. Alright? An from now on. Lock. Up. Yer. Shit."
  • Doghead scowls, then stargs digging around in the bag for what's his... Shan even shifts uncomfortably. Doghead doesn't look happy with what he finds. "One can of Heinz beans, and a bunch of shit I ain't ever seen before? You sayin' he ate mosta my shit? What'd you kill a fuckin' whale? I lost three cans of beans, two of 'em re-fried, two potatoes, 'n my cigs! For all I know you shot some poor fucker, stole his shit, 'n yer coverin' for this thievin' asshole! Honor among thieves 'n all that horseshit! You expect me to just take one can 'n be happy?"

How taboo is it to talk about your past before Monroe, Rue?
  • edited August 2014
    [Rue]

I aint tole anyone not ta talk 'bout it, they just rarely do. I figger theyze payin' me ta do what I did, 'cept ta others.

I really wanna shoot this frakker. Heze workin' my last good nerve. I drop down on my haunches, so's I can look 'im inna eyes. I say, real slow an calm, but sure it's the last bit o' calm I may have, "If ya lost seven cans, then take seven cans. Make it right, Doghead. I can't get yer cans back, alright? Shan didn't take 'em, an I said I'd make it right. This is the best ya get. An I aint found no cigs, so take somethin' fer that, too."
  • Doghead's eyes narrow. He is an asshole, full tilt, but people around here obviously tolerate him. Even now you're showing restraint — that's got to be worth something, right? In any case, he eyes the food again, considering what would make this "square".

Hey Rue, which would you prefer? That Doghead not blame Shan for the missing goods, or that he not blame you for them?
  • edited August 2014
    [Rue]

I'd rather 'e not blame Shan. I can handle 'im gettin' on me, since I did roll on 'is shit fer Harrow. Who aint showed up yet, so Ima a real fool this time. I aint blinkin'. C'mon, you sunnuvabitch, take the cans an' shut the hell up.
  • And take he cans he does... Doghead scowls at you as he scoops one up for every item he lost, plus Two more for his troubles – which turns out to be a barter's worth of cans. "Fine, outsider... We're square." he turns to you and adds, "some fuckin' law you turned out to be... Roark's gunna be hearin' 'bout this. The two o' you best be gettin' off my fuckin' property!"

Shan doesn't hesitate. He puts his hand on your bicep, and whispers, "Fuck this guy... Let 'im wallow in his own bullshit." He looks content with how this went down, though he's obviously still not overly happy you didn't name the actual thief. "You mentioned a floatin' Winnie?" he adds with a a confident smirk.
  • edited August 2014
    [Rue]

I wanna tell 'im off, but then Shan's pullin' me back. That's good nuff. I walk on with 'im, kickin' a rock that wasn't in my way 'zactly. 'e asks 'bout the Bago an I catch 'is smirk. "Yeah, darlin'. It's a piece. Wanna swing by my place an grab some shine an walk out 'ere?"

I figger 'e won't turn it down, so I'll head on back to the church, grab my shine, which is 'bout out now. Lock up, an then we go on. I got my armor an Shelly this time. We're heading near Hugo's frakheads, so I don't wanna tempt fate.
  • Sounds good, Rue. You grab your stuff and lock up without incident. In fact, Shan's a little more talkative with you on your way out. You gather it's probably to forget the shit that went down with Doghead... Why else would he bring up hunting a pack of lions loose in a Zoo in Philadelphia? You reach the Winnie just as he says, "but I never caught one though... Those cats are fuckin' huge, you know? Mean spirited things..." he trails off and his jaw drops as the Winnie comes into view over the lake.

"What the hell is that?" He asks, almost whispering — like talking too loud might disturb the anomaly and send the winnie crashing into the lake.
  • edited August 2014
    [Rue]

"I bet a line's good eatin', tho." I go on with the talkin'. Man, a big ole cat like that? I don't tell 'im I ate cats afore, since I think 'e'd not be happy with it. 'e seems ta like 'em. I like 'em too. With hot sauce! heh

An then 'e gapes at the floatin' Bago. 'e asks me what it is, like I didn't tell 'im already. I elbow 'im, "Told ya, Shan. Floatin Bago." I pull off my vest, drop it in my bag an put it an Shelly o'er where I can hide it inna tall grass. "Theyze a ladder in the center, but yer gonna get wet." I hand 'im the shine.

"Zat a problem, darlin?" I look up at 'im, my eyes squinted inna light o' the sun.
  • edited July 2014
    "Nah," he answers in a confident tenor as he takes a swig of the shine, "I'm all 'bout folks gettin' wet." He pulls off his shirt to reveal a toned body – like someone who would run a marathon if he wanted to – and adds his shirt to your pile of stuff. Then he starts wading out to the bago.

You got a plan out here, Rue? Shoot the shit? Get wasted? Get a little somethin' somethin'?
  • edited August 2014
    [Rue]

Well dayum, Shan's abs are lookin' mighty fine. A marathon, ya say? I like ta do a bit o' runnin' myself. Gonna hafta see if he's got my kinda stamina, yeah? heh.

Didn't have mucha plan. Best not ta plan too far with folks. I think I'd like ta carry me some shine up 'ere an chat with Shan fer a bit, drink some, too. If 'e's into some somethin' somethin', I aint atall against it. But fer now, I think I'll see what the what.

I shuck my big ole pants off an drop 'em inna bag, Carry Mag with me ta wade inna water ta the ladder, then shimmy up it. It's a rope ladder, takes a good bit o' upper body strength ta get up 'ere, but I done it a dozen times.

Once I'm up 'ere, I reach inside an put Mag onna dashboard, then lay onna hood. I figger 'e's up 'ere with me. I get up close ta 'im, an lay so's I'm lookin' at the sky. "Shan, are we good now?"
  • You've sort of picked up that Shan's mood is directly related to how much he's gabbin'. Right now he's middle of the road, which is up from the relative silence he's been treating you to since the first incident with Corbett. He takes a swig of the moonshine, looks down at you, and smiles a pearly white smile against his dark black skin. "Yeah, we're good..." You can tell there's a question on the back of his mind though... About what Doghead assumed about your killing someone for the food. He's not one to look a gift horse in the mouth though. If you let it slide, he'll just stew on it, and wait to pass judgment later.

He hands you the moonshine. "You're a fine lookin' woman, Rue. That ain't even the moonshine, I think..."
  • edited August 2014
    [Rue]

I take the shine from 'im, down a good ole gulp er two. When 'e tells me I'm fine lookin', I smile at 'im. I let the part 'bout 'im "not thinkin'" it's the shine. I wanna be complimented right now. "Well, Shan, thank ya. Shine er no, yer 'bout the sexiest damn thing in Monroe. But I bet ya already knew that, hunh?" I know 'e know 'e's purty. I mean, hell, them abs alone. Dayum.

The bottle's passed back, an I scott a lil closer, so's my thigh's up against 'im. I roll up so's I'm on my side, lookin' at 'im, put a hand on 'us leg. "Shan, darlin'. I'm real glad we're okay. I feel like we hit it off afore the shit with Corbett. I'm... well, hell, I'm sorry 'bout that. Yer a good man, Shan. I like you."
  • Shan smirks when you compliment him, "I wouldn't turn down a rut inna sack with myself." He lets you drink and sidle up to him, then smiles again when you admit you like him. "Well, I appreciate that, Rue... I really do. Folks all over ain't exactly been nice to a guy like me, and when I find some folks I like, I like to make a good impression..."

He puts a hand on your thigh, gently massaging it, and adds, "jus' so happens I was thinkin' about how much I like you." He leans down, and plants a short kiss on your lips. A forward gesture, to be sure, but he pulls back ever so slightly to make sure you're OK with it.

What do you do?
  • edited August 2014
    [Rue]

When 'e leans o'er me, my chest puffs up a lil. I aint gonna lie, I hold my breath fer a second, not scared, just excited. I mean, I think I knew weze gonna hook up, but still, that first kiss is sweet an I wasn't sure. Ya know?

Shan pulls back a lil, an I smile up at 'im. I reach up with my left hand an run it through 'is hair. "Yeah?" I say it all curious-like. "How much izzat, Shan?" I'm lookin' up in 'is eyes, 'e's got the most kind brown eyes I e'er seen. I slide my leg up o'er 'is, still holdin' the back o' 'is head. I want 'im ta kiss me some more.
  • Well, he certainly clues in on your desire for more kissing. In fact, he doesn't even bother answering. He just goes back down to kiss you some more. His hands start wandering a bit, and he pushes the moonshine jug aside.

Seems he likes you enough to sleep with... Do you?
  • edited August 2014
    [Rue]

Well, I aint thinkin' 'bout sleepin', but yeah. I wanna sneak back in that bed I laid in all lonely the other night, but this time, I'm bringin' Shan with me. "C'mon, darlin'. I got somethin' ta show ya." I tell 'im all husky-voice like.
  • Shan likes your husky voice. He smiles wide, "Oh yeah? Let's see it then." He follows you back to the bed, eager as ever.
  • edited August 2014
    [Rue]

When 'e comes on back, I take 'im by the arm, an practic'ly throw 'im onna bed. Well, I don't think 'e's fightin' me, so it's more like, I direct 'im. Once 'e's layin' 'ere, I'll slip off my shirt, didn't wear no bra today, so's I'm just down to my lil panties.

I slide up on top o' 'im, back ta kissin' fer a bit, but my hands are roamin'. Afore long, I'm workin' at 'is pants, tryin' ta get 'em offa 'im. Then I kiss my way down that sexy tummy o' 'is, pausin ta enjoy each lil muscle. I'm laughin' as I go, relishin' the taste o' 'im.

All the while, I'm lookin' up, lookin' in 'is eyes as I keep workin' down. Down till I see how 'e's ready fer me. I'm laying halfway offa bed now, 'tween 'is legs, lookin' at his purty brown eyes as I lower my mouth on 'im. As I'm givin' 'im all the pleasure I know how, I keep lookin' at 'im.

An then I'll reach fer his hand, all callused from years o' hard work, an I pull it ta my head. I'm tellin' 'im, with my eyes an with my whole body: Guide me, darlin. Yer in control. Just take what ya want.
  • He's more than happy to guide you along, doing your thing for a little while. You feel his grip tighten around the back of your head a little as his face contorts with pleasure. He grabs his belt with his free hand to work his pants off a little further. His free hand disappears behind his back — and then you feel light headed...

That's when Shan grabs you by the hair, pulls your mouth off his cock and shoves a gun down your throat. He pulls the trigger before you can react. Things go black for a while. You wake up three days later next to Shan's rotting corpse. Your throat is sore, but undamaged. You're starving, and thirsty. It's pouring rain outside, and you're pretty sure the bago is upside down.

What do you do?
  • edited August 2014
    [Rue]

Holyfrakshit! I jerk awake an scoot onna floor back away from Shan's body. What?

Oh frak this. I look 'round fer Mag, an try to stay way from 'is body. I ferget my shirt, an look out the door o' the Bago. Are we still up inna air? Shit, they aint no "we".

Am I?
  • You are, though you're a little bit lower than you used to be. You've got a few memories of stirring in the time you've been out. You look out the door, and realize the Bago got moved a bit. It's a little further from the shore, and facing the wrong direction. There's a guy standing at the lake's edge with a fishing rod, dumbfounded at the change. It looks like he just got here.

"The fuck're you doin' up there?" He calls out to you.
  • edited August 2014
    [Rue]

I don't know this guy. My throat hurts. I got Mag. Aint got no shirt. Shit. I aint botherin' ta answer 'is ass. Ima find my shirt. It's o'er Shan's body. What the... I didn't kill 'im. 'e kilt me.

I died. But I aint dead. Zat what Jones meant?

Mag goes in my teeth, I'm headin' down the ladder. I'm gettin my vest on, an gettin' my pants, an Shelly an I'm headin' back ta Monroe. An I'm cryin' right now an I don't care, aint nothin' I can do 'bout it. I wanna throw up, but I aint gonna do that. I wanna get in my lake an wash it all off. But it aint ne'er comin' off, I fear.
  • The man tries to catch up to you, but we both know you can't be stopped. You gather all of your things without incidence and make for Monroe... Are you heading to the Church directly? Or somewhere else?
  • edited August 2014
    [Rue]

I aint runnin'. I aint some scared lil girl no more, runnin' 'way cryin'. Once I got Shelly in my hands, if that fisher wants ta jaw at me, then 'e can jaw at me. I don't look like I'm in no talkin' mood, tho.

Where'm I headed? Church. I'm headed ta the church, gotta check on my gear, see if any o' it been stolen.
  • So you're walking, I'd imagine briskly. The fisherman comes up to you, he's tall and stern like an oak tree. Unbending in the wind. His cold grey eyes are urgent, but collected. "Hey! You! What the hell were you doin' up there! This ain't no place to be fuckin' around! 'Nomalies are fuckin' dangerous, the whole lot of 'em!"

Now that he's closer, a name comes to mind... This is Mill, a local woodsman who occasionally supplies fresh meats to Monroe. He likes his privacy. Nobody knows exactly where he's set up camp. Rumor has it he was struck by lightning out fishing once... His coat certainly seems to back that story up.

Here he is, with his busted coat.
  • edited August 2014
    [Rue]

I look o'er at 'im, still a lil freaked out from wakin' up like I did. "A-hole! Ize in 'ere with a-a friend, an somethin' happened. Knocked me the hell out, an kilt 'im!" I just want 'im to go 'way. I just want 'im ta fergive me an hold me. I don't know what I want. I'm still walkin' home. To the church.

I kilt Shan. The Anom got in 'ih head, made us see stuff, an I kilt 'im.
  • He moves beside you, holding a hand up to try and stop you. If you won't stop, he'll walk beside you. "The 'nomalies ended the world that was, li'l girl – you dance too close to 'em, and that's the kinda shit that happens!"

He throws down his fishing pole to keep up, and adds, "c'mon... You ain't got shit fee protection out in this rain... You'll catch fever. C'mon back to my place a minute, 'n I'll get ya home."
  • edited August 2014
    [Rue]

I stop walkin', turn 'round on 'im. I wanna yell at 'im, er somethin'. But 'e's right. I'll like ta freeze in 'is cold an wet.

I can't b'lieve Shan's dead. I really liked 'im. 'e wasn't the one who shot me. If 'e was, it was 'cause I deserve it.

"Where's yer place, Mill?" I ask him leaden. I wonder if 'e's gonna put a gun in my mouth, too.
  • Mill throws a thumb over his shoulder, and turns to start walking. "Just over the hill... Not far. One of the few, really..." He keeps a respectable distance from you as he leads the way. You get the impression that he doesn't really care if you stay or go... But he is looking out for you. "What's your name?" he asks as he pushes some branches out of the way to reveal a path in the woods.
  • edited August 2014
    [Rue]

I'm follain' 'im. I still got Shelly in my hands, she makes me feel a lil stronger. I keep seein' Shan in my head. I see 'im layin back, enjoyin' me. I see that look on 'is face when 'e pulled out that gun an' shot me. I see 'is dead eyes on me when I woke.

"Rue Wakeman." I answer 'im. The cold rain an the mornin', it makes me chill. I feel all frakked and twisted up. I just wanna curl up an have a good cry. But I aint gonna do that in front o' ole stranger Mill here. So's I folla.
  • Mill nods at your name, taking note of it like it may be important some day, and continues up the path to his place. He's quiet for a while, until you can just barely see a campsite up ahead. "You the only person goes up there? 'Nomalies do weird things... Best to steer clear of 'em." He looks over at you, clearly with more to say, and notices you look shaken – maybe for the first time – so he shuts up.
    [Rue]

"Thirdie showed me the Bago. We slept up 'ere once." I answer 'im, 'cause talkin' helps a lil. "An 'en me'n... Shan." Sayin' 'is name hurts like a punch inna gut, an I'm alla sudden thankful fer the rain, 'cause my eyes well up. Frak, I didn't wanna cry. Why'm I so damn weak?

I wonder... Shan gonna join the gang in my head? I dunno how I feel 'bout that.
  • edited August 2014
    He catches the hesitation in your voice, and lifts an eyebrow. He doesn't comment though, until you enter his camp proper. It's a small makeshift thing in a clearing no bigger than 15 feet across, with a spit over a cold fire pit, and a bivouac. He reaches into a pack buried in his sleeping bag, and produces a full-length duster raincoat. He tosses it to you, along with a reasonably dry towel.

"'Nomalies are tricky things... They mess with your head. Sometimes they don't do nothing, but sometimes it's just this big ball of things people want. Dead people, alive people, doesn't much matter. It's like a maelstrom of thoughts and desires, moving through the world, wreaking havoc." He nods back towards the lake, and the Winnebago, "either of those "Thirdie" or "Shan" folks still up there? We can't have folks up there... It makes the 'nomalies worse."

This is what his camp looks like, for the record:
    [Rue]

I step up under the tarp, an use the towel to dry off. I'm just goin' through the motions, not scrubbin' er thinkin' 'bout it. "Shan's up 'ere." I wanna say 'e's dead, but I can't get the words out. E'erone I care fer dies. Most o' 'em by my hand. I wonder if I kilt 'im, too?

"He..." I say when I'm a lil dryer. "He oughta be buried, I reckon."
  • "I'll deal with it," he says coldly, "just tell your friend "Thirdie" to stay away from here. Last thing we need is another damn fool falling victim up there... You with those Monroe people?"
    [Rue]

"Yeah," I answer, but I don't feel it. Am I with 'em? "I'm just a hired gun, 'at's all." I know I just woke up, but I see 'is sleepin' bag and I wanna curl up on 'ere. I feel drained, and awful. Maybe I oughts stand out inna rain and cry 'is shit out.
  • Mill nods, and carefully replaces some of the things he took out of his sack. "Tell Roark I'll have no part in this talk he wants to have with Hugo. Hugo and his men may have their strength now, but a 'nomaly would take everything they've ever earned with it in the blink of an eye... I'd rather take my chances in the wild than bargain with that child."

He pulls the draw string on his pack taught, and looks at you expectantly, like that was the payment he expected for the raincoat, and now he expects you to leave.
    [Rue]

Norm'lly, I'd jaw at 'im some more. Aint like he can dismiss me er nothin'. Right now? I aint got the energy. I just wanna go lay in my bed. Don't think I'll get no sleep, but I wanna lay still an think.

I pull on the raincoat an' go. I walk with Shelly's barrel aimed at the ground. She needs cleanin'. Somethin' fierce. Don't know how long Ize out. I feel hungry, but I don't wanna eat. I ache. All o'er.

Out here, inna rain an alone, I cry fer Shan. An fer me. I cry 'cause nobody can see. An I need it.

I just wanna go home. Monroe's the closest I e'er had ta one.
  • Mill lets you go without issue, and the walk back to Monroe is a long, and cold one. By the time you get back, the people who hang around the church are gone out doing their business. It's still raining pretty hard, but that never stopped anyone before. You have the place to yourself, to mourn in your own way.

== END SCENE ==