[NOVA] Après Dinner (K 2.6, M 2.5)

edited August 2014 in NOVA
imageimageimageimage

Ksenia, Mei, you are relaxing in the lounge after another amazing "Gray" dinner aboard the Stalker Jane.

The feast began with a chilled melon soup, tart with lime and lightly spiced with chili and coriander. Alongside, paper-thin slices of a dry-cured ham, a specialty of one of the Jovian farming orbitals. The main dish was an extravagant paella mixta, tender rice cooked with chicken, shrimp and shellfish, fragrant with saffron and colored by a confetti of peppers and tomatoes. Dinah's dessert was an orange flan with dried plums and a brandy-honey sauce.

Ksenia, as the first course was being served, Captain Dai carefully pours just a bit of soup into a small, lovely antique porcelain bowl, lays a single thin slice of ham next to it. "We know you can't eat much, so we'll be sure that what you do eat is the best of the best of what we have." They do the same for the paella and the flan. Just a taste or two of each, but presented with the greatest care and attention.

You each have a glass of that delicious Madeira Church brought aboard. Do you make a toast? What to?

Comments

• edited August 2014
    I reach out to Dai when she pours the soup, touching her hand. "Thanks, Cap." Such a wonderful gesture, making me feel welcome at their table. Or should I say, our table?

Yes, I raise a toast. I stand, holding up a glass, "To old friends. And new friends." Then, I add, "And always, to the Jane !"
    [Taban Mei]

The Jane keeps a much better table than anything in Psi Corps. A girl could really get used to this. I wonder how Csorba finds it? I'll look over to see what he thinks.

Of course I toast the Stalker Jane! "To the Jane!" I echo. When it comes around to me, I lift a glass, calling, "To our ships abroad; the meek shall inherit the earth, but the brave shall get the skies." It's an old toast. This Madeira is lovely.

Really this time, no more than two glasses at the most.
    I meet Mei's toast, offer her a polite smile. When we're out of our cabin, we are officers, and even at dinner, I'm respecting my uniform. Feels pretty good here with this crew.

"Dinah, how are the engine calibrations coming?" I ask when things settle into comfortable conversation. "Need any help?"
  • Church accepted and complimented the meal with his usual grace, while Csorba's appreciation is both enthusiastic and surprisingly comprehensive. "Captain Dai, I have to ask... where the hell did you source saffron? The last Earth-grown saffron I saw was worth what I make in a year, for 3 grams!"

Dai responds with a smile. "I'll make you a deal, ah, Adonis. If our asses and the Jane make it back from Giana Prime in one piece, and you haven't screwed us over somehow in the process, I'll give you a letter of introduction to my source." Csorba gives her a nod of appreciation for both the deal and her playful-but-serious tone.

Ksenia, Dinah smiles her appreciation. "I'm keeping a close eye on things. The overhaul didn't touch Jane's engines, but there are a few new systems, and until I feel how things interact, I'll be cautious. Stop by anytime, help me pass the time while I watch the SAD graphs not change."

[Taban Mei]

I contemplate my yellow-red-orange swirl on my spoon. It could almost be a piece of Jupiter, or a sun. I look to Dai. "Does your source cook as good as you do?" I take my delicious bite and savor its complexity.
  • Zoo opens her mouth to respond, but Dinah interrupts. "Mei-mei, no-one cooks like Zoo. No. One. Has she told you that we had a passenger try to hire her away from the Stalker Jane to be his personal chef? And he was a prince!"

[Taban Mei]

I raise my glass, impressed, followed by a sip, eyeing Dai over its brim. "We are fortunate indeed you turned him down."

In my head, there's a sense of a great beast rolling over. Not Cora. My psi is tickled, curious about Dai, but Csorba is also interesting, and new.

I set my wineglass down, sloshing it.
    I smile broadly at that line. "A prince? Damn, Cap." I take a nibble of the flan on my fork. "That's crazy."
  • Mei, that leviathan beneath the surface of your mind, your Psi talent, trained and challenged and unique because of your experience with Cora, is hungry to know something, although you don't know what. Please give us a roll. I'll post the challenge in the next post.

• CHALLENGE

Basic Challenge: (Rolled: 3d8. Rolls: 3, 5, 4. Total: 12) You're trained, even if you're still fairly new at this. (This will almost always be 3d8.)

Madeira: (Rolled: 1d10. Rolls: 7. Total: 7) You're just little, not so much with the tolerance.

Target-rich environment: (Rolled: 1d10. Rolls: 1. Total: 1) Sooo many interesting people!

[Taban Mei]

Something... this vintage is rather strong! I feel my psi limbering up, and I'm concentrating to keep it in check.

Bravery - d6 - I've got this under control.
    Comms - d6 - I really shouldn't pry.
    Alien-Enhanced Psionic - d8 - This isn't Cora. This is my psi wanting to explore.
    Church - d8 - It's his wine... did he know?
  • Bravery: (Rolled: 1d6. Rolls: 4. Total: 4)
    Comms: (Rolled: 1d6. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)
    Alien-Enhanced Psionic:(Rolled: 1d8. Rolls: 3. Total: 3)
    Church:(Rolled: 1d8. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)
  • [OOC: 4+2=6, including a delightful 1 for you to enjoy.]
  • Mei, your Psi turns, swims toward the light, surfaces. A shaft of light shines into your mind.

Ksenia, Mei goes dreamy for a moment, then her eyes snap open. "Dinah, the man you killed when you were thirteen deserved it. No one should have to live with what you lived with."

I glance at Dinah for a reaction. Was that true? I don't stare, but I'm curious. To be honest, I'm proud of her. You have to be tough as a kid. Maybe she had a harder life than I thought.
  • edited August 2014

Dinah gasps. She looks at you, Mei, whispering "How?" and then runs from the room. With a hard look at you, the Captain follows, not quite running, but moving fast to look after her friend.

Csorba says, "That was interesting, Ensign Mei. Happen often?"

I scoot back from the table, too. "I'll check on them." As I walk past Mei, I put a hand on her shoulder, in passing. Offering strength, not accusations, not pity.

Frak me, what could she pull from my head?
    [Taban Mei]

I'm left alone with Church and Csorba. The revlation, followed by the one-two punch from Lourdes and Dai, has me reeling from more than the wine. I'm holding steady, though. Steady, Mei.

I don't like something in Csorba's tone, and I consider lying to him. But Ksenia's fleeting touch grounds me, gives me strength even in that instant. "It can happen as often as I require, Mr. Csorba. Would you like to be next?" I say it pleasantly enough, but I really want to go to Dinah and explain and beg forgiveness, or run back to my berth and be alone. No can do, Mei.
  • edited August 2014

Csorba smiles, a wicked little grin, and says, "I assure you I'm an open book, Ensign Mei. Definitely not suitable for young ones or the faint of heart, though."

Church raises his eyebrow and simply continues watching the tennis match, sipping from his Madeira from time to time.

[Taban Mei]

I scowl, offended. I am not faint of heart. I recognize that he's pushing my buttons, but that makes it no less effective. "Very well, Mr. Csorba, read us a story. What's on page one, seventy-nine, eighteen, and the last two weeks?" I take a drink of water and certainly do not notice how charming a grin he has. I get the feeling he practices in a mirror.
  • Csorba laughs. "Page One? Born into poverty, to a single mother, on Europa, not the best environment for a bastard, given the Reformed Catholic influence. Seventy-nine? That one's boring, well maybe." He gives you another wolfish grin. "Let's just say, 'brown chicken brown cow.' As to page eighteen, well, that's for you to find out. Peek if you want to. The last two weeks? Entirely involved in the mission."

He looks at you, Mei, challenging.

What've you got?

[Taban Mei]

"Brown chicken," I deadpan. "Brown cow?" Isn't there something about suffering fools? I'm certainly suffering his wit, such as it is.

"Clearly not as open a book as you assure, Mr. Csorba." I liked him better when he was monotone. "I suspect it's below my reading level." I take one of my last bites of flan; even this lugnut can't ruin this delight that Dinah cooked up.

I glance at the doorway where they all three went. I chew a little more mechanically, remembering to enjoy it.
  • Ezekiel Church finishes the last drops of his Madeira. "Well, children, this has been both educational and entertaining, but I should be going. I have some reading to do." He begins gathering up plates and silverware, and walks out toward the galley when he has an armload.

Csorba takes the last bite of his flan. "If I've offended, Ensign Mei, please forgive me. The meal, the company, the wine, you know. I think we both let our guards down a bit." Seeing Church start to clean up, he joins in, snagging glasses.

[Taban Mei]

The implied chastisement from Chruch has more an effect than Csorba's hard-to-read apology. "Good evening, Mister Church." I nod, lightly embarrassed. I'll follow the lead and grab some plates. I don't want to retire for the night without talking to Lourdes, or Dai at least.

"Accepted, Csorba. I, too, have forgotten the strength of the Madeira. I only hope to make amends with Ms. Lourdes. Doing the dishes is the least I could do."
  • Csorba nods. You clear the plates (not too much to do, since Dai cleared up between courses), and take them to the sanitizer in the galley. Just as you're finished and Church and Csorba leave, Ksenia enters, clearly looking to find you.

I catch her eyes, then nod towards the corridor. If she follows, I'll lead her to our room. I don't want to have this conversation in front of anyone else.
    [Taban Mei]

I set my shoulders and grimly head to the berth. It must be bad. I feel like I'm expecting demerits from Academy or worse. I have a sour taste in my mouth.
    We enter and I stay near the door so when she walks in, we're close. I wait for the door to close, then I put my hands up on either side of her neck, gently.

"Taban, calm down. Relax." I tell her, a soft smile on my face. "Dinah is alright. It stirred up some shit, but she's going to be okay. She asked if you could steer clear of engineering until we get out of The Gray. Give her some space." My hands gently knead the tight muscles in her neck. My stomach is starting to remind me that there is food in it, but this is more important.
    [Taban Mei]

"I screwed up, Ksenia. Church and his Madeira." I'm mad at myself, angry at my lack of control, scared for what I've done to Lourdes, to our relationship. I clench my fists, I want to punch something.

"I keep thinking about Gaumata, K." I'm not in the mood, but the neckrub feels good. Quietly, I say, "My psi... It killed zir, it scares you, it drives away Lourdes." I don't exactly feel miserable... But I'm working up to it. I hiccup.

"Taban," I say as I gently massage her neck. I'm not trying to turn her on, just comfort her, relax her. "I'm not scared of you," I lie soothingly. Well, maybe it's a lie. I'm not scared of her, but maybe Cora.

"Dinah might be shaken right now, but this could bring us all closer." I reason, trying to give her a lifeline.
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

Just above a whisper. "It scares me, K. I wish I was as brave as you." I am not going to be a crying drunk right now. Wipe those tears away before they come, Mei. No waterworks. I put my left hand back to squeeze my friend's, my heart's.

I look back over my shoulder, smile weakly. "I'm never going to drink two glasses of that Maderia again.

I nod, thinking about the whole team being closer. "One day it'll be a funny story over a dinner," I hope.
    I give her a reassuring smile, then pull her in for a long hug. She needs a hug. Even I can tell that. I smooth her hair, and lead her over to the bunk, "C'mon, beautiful. You're kinda wasted, and you need some sleep, alright?" If she doesn't fight, I'll help her sit, and slowly undress her. Not sexy-like.
  • edited August 2014
    [Taban Mei]

My heart flutters when she calls me beautiful and I smile unashamedly. "Water?" I could use the mothering, and I let her do what she thinks is best. I have some restless legs motions once they are bare, but I'm not trying to entice, I'm just getting comfortable. I give a little goodnight kiss to whatever I feel of her with my eyes closed, and I hope I get somewhere close to her face.

I gesture vaguely in the direction of her datapad. "Can you read aloud? Whatever it is." I yawn, snuggle, and steal all the blankets.

I open my eyes, half sit up, with a moment of clear-headedness. "I love you, Ksenia. I'm sorry." Then I plop back down, gracelessly. Sorry for being drunk? For hurting Dinah? For scaring her? For not putting out? I don't know. Yes, all of it.
    I get her a glass of water, and keep her upright, supporting her while rubbing her back as she drinks. Then, it's off with her clothes and laying her on the soft bunk. She asks me to read to her, of all things, and it makes me a little warm inside. I'm reaching into my pack for my datapad when she apologies, and I pluck it out and look back, smoothing her hair out of her face. How does she deal with so much hair?

"It's alright, lil Mei. I've got you." I ease her back down, then crawl over her to lay on the side closest to the wall. Don't want to be in her way if she gets sick, you know? I open a few files until I find what I'm looking for. I'm on chapter nineteen, but I've read this one four times, so it's no biggie to skip back. Begin at the beginning.

"...'I've watching through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one. Or at least as close as we're going to get.'
    'That's what you said about the brother.'
    'The brother tested out impossible. For other reasons. Nothing to do with his ability.'
    'Same with the sister. And there are doubts about him. He's too malleable. Too willing to submerge himself in someone else's will.'
    'Not if the other person is his enemy.'
    'So what do we do? Surround him with enemies all the time?'
    'If we have to.'
    'I thought you said you liked this kid.'
    'If the buggers get him, they'll make me look like his favorite uncle.'
    'All right. We're saving the world, after all. Take him.'"
    [Taban Mei]

Sleep takes me.

I'll make it up to her...
  • ---End Scene---