[NOVA] "The Talk" (K 2.9a, M 2.5a)

edited August 2014 in NOVA

Ksenia, after a few hands of cribbage with Zoo, you feel like maybe you could go to sleep, and with a chaste kiss on the cheek to commemorate the night, you head back to your quarters. Mei is asleep, snoring quietly, and you climb into your own.

Still and all, it's a restless sleep, and you wake a few hours later, while Mei is still peacefully resting above you. You know she always wakes up hungry.

What do you do?

Comments

It's nearly morning. Close enough. I'm up, might as well do something.

I trudge out to the galley, fix up some pancakes on the griddle, crack a few eggs, and pull a couple strawberries each for us. Load it all up on a big tray, and take it back to our room.

If the smell of the food doesn't wake her, I'll foot nudge the bunk, "Taban. Wake up, Taban. Breakfast in bed." I'm all smiles. I don't want her to freak out thinking something's broken.
  • edited August 2014

ZZZZzzzz— Zwha? What's that smell? Mmm, something food.

I stretch lazily, and lift my bed-head up. Crack an eye, then both, blinking into a wide sleepy smile.

I yawn.

Breakfast in bed!

"Good morning, my love!" I'm more awake now, pleased and excited. I put my hair back for neatness, and I lean way out the bunk, standing on my knees and hanging on with one hand for balance to kiss her once just above her hip. I nod sideways as an invite as I push aside pillows and sheets.
    I get on the bunk where she made room and lay the tray on the bed. "Breakfast in bed, for you, my little heiress." I plop a strawberry into her waiting mouth.
  • edited August 2014

Umm.

"Thank you, my delightful companion." I'm cross-legged on the bunk, leaning eagerly for the fruit. I grab a second strawberry, twirl in in a circle like a homing beacon and rub it on her lips like a kiss so she can taste. Then I pop it in my mouth. "Can I share any with you?" I ask, mild and curious, unsure of how much she actually can share.
    "I enjoy the taste of strawberries." I answer. I will sit with her as she eats, have a few nibbles of a strawberry that was kissed by her in turn. "I'm sorry it isn't a feast like Dinah and Dai can make."

I put my index finger to her lips as I've got a shameless mouthful of pancakes and eggs. I chew, chew, and swallow, then I chew some more, and eventually finish that delicious giant bite. "Shush, it is delicious and you made it for me, making it even more delicious." I make a tiny Ksenia bite of a morsel of pancake and dip it in syrup and egg yolk. I balance it on a fingertip and place the offering on her tongue.

"Besides, I'm not sure I could eat roasted lamb four times a day with seconds of flan!" I poke my abs, proving my point. I do like to watch her enjoy food, and I help myself to another forkful of goodness.
    I take hold of Mei's offered hand, and with a silly grin, I lick her finger, then close my lips around it. Hell, I even suckle it slightly, just for show.

When she talks about her abs, I make a "pfft" noise, "Shit, Taban, I could bounce quarters off your ass and you know it. You're damn perfect."

I wiggle my hips, still chewing, and wink. I know she likes my ass, and my legs, and my... Well, my whole everything. But perfect? "You're making me blush, K." I tousle her hair.
    I watch her eat a few more bites. "You're really special to me, Taban. I don't want to lose what we have. It's important. I need you to trust that. Okay?"

I grab her right hand with my left, since I need my right to eat. I look at her openly, a little concerned, still the same adoration. "I trust you completely. I love you. Is everything okay?" I squeeze her hand, loving.

There's an art to timing the egg and the pancake. Everything must be in balance.
    "Yeah. We're good. You're an amazing woman, Taban." I hold her hand with my cybernetic one. "You asked a while ago about how Martians handle relationships. I got the feeling that you were hoping for a monogamous partnership." I'm trying to keep my tone light, here. "Did I get the right read on that?"

I raise my eyebrows. Is she going to propose? My heart skips a beat, and I blink rapidly. I didn't think she could bear children, and I'm not ready to settle down quite yet, but Ksenia would be a fine wife. Mrs. Ensign Taban Mei-Cribbage? Mrs. Ensign Ksenia Mei?

"There's nothing wrong with monogamy for those who choose it, K. But someone on this boat still was writing me almost love notes, and I didn't want to keep that from you." I look demurely down. "I have had a few theories of fantasy, you know."

"But monogamy? I can be flexible. What do you want?"
  • edited September 2014
    I smirk at her theories. I don't mind. Not at all.

What do I want? "I want there to be an us. I don't want that to change, Taban." I half-consider mentioning Cora, how we're not even monogamous now, but that feels like a cheap shot, she already feels guilty. Plus, it's dishonest. "I want to frak the Captain. She won't make a move and neither will I unless we're good. Sex with her isn't as important as being with you. But... I want it. And I didn't want to lie to you... anymore."
  • edited August 2014

I raise my eyebrows. "Dai? Wow. Um." I can picture, it, too. I bite my lip a tiny bit. Here I was just talking about pancakes and lamb, and Ksenia wants to expand her palate. I rub my thumb on the back of her hand. "I want to be selfish with you, K. But I don't want us," and I squeeze her hand tight tight, "To burn out. I don't want to lose you, or scare you away, or drive you away, or do something stupid, or hold you so close you slip though my fingers and run. I also don't want to be great-grandmothers retired on Europa and you still play what-if about going down on our sexy Captain." Yes, I know what I just implied there. Careful, Mei. I look at her a little smokily. "I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I could go decades with just... 3D-printed accessories." Mam, yes mam.

I take a breath, bring both of her hands to my face for a strong kiss. "I don't want to lie to you either. That's hot, thinking of you fucking Dai. Or us. But it also scares me. And I trust you, my heart. And I love you. And we are human, and we cannot eat the same thing every day." How is it possible to feel wise and aroused at the same time? Oh, my Ksenia.

Stop talking, Mei, it's her turn, you'll get another, don't babble.
  • edited September 2014
    Wow. That went, well, easier than I expected. And she thinks it's hot? Well, Dai is, and she thinks I'm hot, so....

I kiss her back, still a little worried at the surreal reaction. A thrill races through me. I can have my cake, and eat it, too? Nice. I reach over to pick up the tray of food, move it off the bed, over to a side table. I'm still letting her hold my face, because it feels pretty great.

"You think that's hot, do you?" I narrow my eyes, "You looking to move in on her, too?" I'm smiling, this is not territory, not at all.

"For all I know, K, Dai's my secret admirer. Of course I've thought about her making a move on me.." I brush some of her hair aside, unnecessarily, it's just an excuse to touch her sweet face. "This might be hard for 'us', dear one. And not just Dai. What about the mission? What if Church or Csorba try something, and it's 'in character'? How would you feel if one of them fucked your Mei?"

I worry about transition, too. About Cora. I'm not going to say that, too.
  • edited September 2014
    "The mission is the mission, Taban." I answer without pause. "We're here to do our jobs. Me and you, we're official in here," I gesture around the room. "Once we're out there, we're Space Corps."

I lean in and kiss her back, "My Mei? I own you now? Not a chance, lover. If you want to be with somebody else, just keep in mind how it might affect the mission. If you judge it as necessary or something you want that won't hurt the mission, then go for it."

"I want to be with you, K. You don't own me, but there is an us." I falter. "How would you feel if someone wanted to be with me? If they actually fucked me? No missions, just... doing it."
  • edited September 2014
    I purse my lips in thought. This one is a minefield. But I start off honest, no reason to be otherwise. "I wouldn't want to watch it, to be honest. But I've never been good at commitment and shit like that, Taban. It's like..." I frown, trying to find the words. "When we're together, here, it's just you and me. But when we're apart... your life is your life. You know?"

I stroke the back of her hands, making small circles and swirls like a worry stone. "I suppose," I say, and I mean 'not really.' I break eye contact, studying the small scars on the back of her one hand, and the seams and servos of the other.

There's so much I want to say. I really wondered if she was going to propose. But now, my mind is leaping to horrible conclusions. Is 'commitment and shit' off the table? Does she never want to share? Am I good enough?

I clear my throat, still not looking up. "This is hard, sweet K." She's my heart. She gives me strength. Why should you be selfish, Mei?
    Damn. This is why honesty sucks sometimes.

I'm half tempted to just tell her I didn't mean it and figure it out later, but I won't. I respect her too much. Best to let her sort through the emotions.

I look at her, saying with genuine compassion, "I don't want to hurt you, Taban. I'm... sorry."

"I'm worried and afraid, Ksenia, not hurt. But you can make it up to me later," I offer, but it lacks some zest. I trace lines up her arms. "It's not fair to you that I have an alien ghost that gets to be with both of us. You deserve to get what you want. We both do. I'm trying to fight my selfish urges, to do right, to be modern like you." I move my hands to clasp her shoulders, lean in to touch foreheads, fall into those dark eyes. "Compromise. It's part of life together." I'm so full of love I could cry.
  • ---END SCENE---