[NOVA] Makeover (K 2.10, M 2.6)

edited August 2014 in NOVA
imageimage

Ksenia, Mei, it's Makeover Time! Zoo and Dinah have turned the lounge into a makeshift beauty parlor, with basins and appliances and all manner of potions and creams and what-have-you, whose labels promise near-alchemical transformations to the user.

Mei, Dinah has been a little reserved with you since the Jane left the Gray, but certainly not hostile. The two of you are alone at the moment, you passed the Captain on her way out to grab something from her stateroom, and Ksenia is in your quarters taking off her arm in preparation for this little beauty session.

What do you do?

Comments

• edited August 2014

"Dinah," I say. I want to reach to her, but instead I keep my hands clasped. I'm looking at the swirls and lines of her ink, moving up her arms, eventually resting my hopeful and worried gaze on her warm brown eyes, somehow echoing the red of her lovely hair.

I take a deep breath. It's okay, Mei. "I'm incredibly sorry and embarrassed that I brought up painful memories for you. It's a shitty excuse to blame the wine, but I let it get to my head, and we all paid the price. It was never my intent to hurt you."

I hesitate. Lourdes might take this go the wrong way, but I must make the offer. "I know a few basic psi therapy techniques... if you want to try." Quickly, "I know I have to earn your trust again, and I will. Somehow."
  • "Oh, Mei-Mei. You didn't hurt me. He did. Zoo even thinks maybe your little slip will be a good thing in the long-run. If I'm a little twitchy with you for a while, it's not fear, okay? Or at least not mostly. I mean, it's not every day a girl finds herself sharing her house with a couple of superheroes, right?"

Dinah gives you an open look, Mei, and opens her arms in invitation.

I stand up, and go in for a big friendly hug. She's a good hugger, and she smells a bit like engineering, in a good way. I feel better, but still not great. "Superheroes? Did you taste that flan? You're the super one." I'm blush a little at the praise, don't meet her eyes at first. After a beat, I say seriously, "Thank you, Dinah."

I look at her reaction curiously, a little smile at the corners of my mouth. "Do you know 'mei mei' means 'little sister'?"
  • Dinah chuckles. "I didn't, but hey, if the shoe fits, right?"

• edited September 2014
    I walk in, see the two of them close and happy. Shit, that's a load off my mind.

I'm in a tank top, a little yellow Tweety Bird one that I picked up before the trip. It has Tweety's big frakking eyes and his little beak and mouth. I kinda like it. "She pulled the "little sister" thing on you, too, Red?" I'm trying out "Red" as a nick. Not sure if I like it better than Dinah. But Dinah is so close to Dai. So Red. I'll see how it goes.

I head over to whatever chair they have for me, plop down to have a seat. "Do what you can."

Her laugh seems to make things... well, not five-by-five, but at least a good solid set of beams and bricks for the start of a bridge. I'll join her chuckle, then realize we've still been hugging.

"I'm serious, Dinah- if you want to try some therapy, just ask." Then I drop it, step back, and undo my hair. I have to shake it out, run some fingers through the few tangles.

"I am not going blonde."
  • edited September 2014
    "Oh shit, Mei. You have to go blonde!" I say with excitement.
  • Dai enters just then and gives a delighted chuckle. "Oh, Mei, you would be ravishing as a blonde! Just think about it... Wait, Dinah, do we still have that simulation program we used to choose clothes for the Spacer's Ball on Titan? That did hair and stuff, too, right? I didn't even think about that!"

Zoo gives you both a peck on the cheek as Dinah responds. "Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs, Cap. It's already loaded and primed with pictures of the ladies."

After a moment, Dai says, "So, what looks are you going after? I mean, I get heiress and 'companion,' but what do you want?"

I roll my eyes, and pluck a lock of hair around to look at it. "Hair," I say, mock-serious, "I am trying."

I let the grins die, and I push with my toes to swivel-and-stop to Dai and say, "I have no idea. I've got to make 'Misty Brown, heiress' match up with all of this." My hand circles my face, tapping my cheekbones, the corners of my eyes. I lean back over the chair, propping myself up against the cheap pleather. "Shit, I hate this analyst of Csorba's. 'Tits Wang-McGee' would be better." I'm a little more intent than I should be, but it's Azubah goes by Zoo, she'll understand.
  • edited September 2014
    "My name... is Dirk." I reply with an arched brow. I pull up my datapad to show a couple pics. "My images had to be doctored because the programs couldn't understand "one armed". Sorry. One is dangerous, the other is... kinda sweet. What do you like?" I show it to all of them.

"Are you going for companion," I point to the first, "Or companion?" I point to the second, with a quirk of my lips.

That amber would be lovely on her skin, but the "dangerous" look definitely has an appeal. I cross my legs, nibble at my lip, and try not to let the others catch me eyeing my love.

Eyes up, Mei! You're an officer!
  • Dai inhales sharply. "Dangerous. Definitely dangerous." Dinah nods enthusiastically. "I think we'd all like to see that look, K. Ready to take the leap?"

• edited September 2014
    I huff a little breath through my nose. "I don't know if I can pull the second one off, to be honest. Let's face... I walk like a guy. I cruise in looking like that," I point to the second pic, "Someone might think I'm in drag." I laugh, like it's a joke.

Still worries me though. Being butch. I mean, I don't know what I came in here expecting. Some magic frakking fairy dust or something?

"Number one it is."
  • Dai looks at you Mei, quizzically. "Sweetie, did you grow up last century? There are so few of us that still look like one thing or another... I get propositioned every time I go into a bar, just because my recessive genes gave me skin this dark."

Tripping over Zoo's words, Dinah jumps in. "Mei-Mei, we can make you look like a princess, never mind an heiress! That bone structure? Damn, girl."

"Sometimes it feels like it, Zoo." I run my fingers through my hair, not thinking about the orphanage.

I blush a little when Dinah gushes, happy to be distracted. "Do you think so?" I look in a mirror, trying to see what she sees.

And to Ksenia, "I can always help you walk, you know." A sly smile.
  • edited September 2014
    Heh, if Mei's ever helped me walk, it was walking sore. Minx.

"Nah, the second one's too sweet. Nobody'd believe me anyways." I look at Dinah with sudden seriousness, "Red. I'm ready for my treatment." I say it very dramatically.
  • How about this, Mei-Mei?" Dinah pokes around her tablet for a few seconds.

Mei's Dress

Zoo oohs in appreciation.

I look at the squirt from her tablet, adjusting camera views and angles. "I could pull that off," I hesitatingly say. "Is it tacky to show off your bra like that?" I adjust the straps of my own.

"Certainly fewer pearls, though." I make the adjustment. "Ksenia?" It's important to me what she thinks.
  • edited September 2014
    I glance over and chuckle, "You could really pull that off, Mei." I'd like to pull that dress off her later.
  • Ksenia, after Dinah pulls up the picture for Mei, she comes over and runs her fingers through your short-cropped hair. "Apparently, the little 'closet' Psi Corps added to the hold has just about everything." She rummages through a rectangular case and pulls out a bag of... hair? ...that matches your color precisely. She starts working on you as Zoo begins fluffing and primping Taban.

I lie back and close my eyes. Dai's hands feel good on my head. Everyone's a professional here, Mei.

"I trust you, Captain, but if I wake up a blonde..."
  • edited September 2014
    "If she wakes up a blonde, I'll kick ten creds your way, Cap!" I chide her. But she knows I'm kidding.
  • Dinah pulls out some strands from the bag. "These are the newest thing, K. They'll bond to your delicious short locks at a molecular level, like they belong there. We've got the solvent, though, you can get rid of them whenever you want." She goes to work, tickling at your short hair as she attaches the extensions.

Mei, Zoo tugs at your hair, "Sweetie, if you wake up blonde, you'll thank me. I am a genius. Just relax."

• edited September 2014
    I'd read about these microfilament follicles. They're amazing. Never seen them, though, they are pricey!

I lean back in the chair so Dinah can get at every angle, close my eyes, and just enjoy the sensation of touch. There's something incredibly intimate about letting someone touch your hair. Dinah's got a strong grip, from her years of work in the engine room. It feels delightful. Not sexual or anything like that, but close. I luxuriate in the moments.

"Mmmhmm." The almost ritual hair washing, the quiet susurrus of the water over my head, the small talk. I drowse.
  • You both revel in the touch, the attention, in your own ways.

After an undetermined length of time, the old, old ritual comes to an end. Mei, you wake from your doze as you feel the warm breath of a hair-dryer and hear the accompanying noise. Ksenia, Dinah says, "Ooh. K, I think we're done with the hair portion of this little soiree. You look great! Different, too."

Zoo and Dinah train the cameras on their tablets on each of you, and the results flash on the big screens.

Mei, you have curls. Real, honest-to-goodness long slinky, "I took some time on this" curls. And yes, your hair is still black. But, it drapes across your shoulders in a rococo spill, framing your face like velvet curtains unveiling a statue.

Ksenia, when was the last time you had long hair? It looks great, by the way, just like the picture. Dinah seems very pleased with the results.

The Captain says, "Okay, next step, dresses. Then, makeup!"

• edited September 2014
    Shit. It looks better than the picture because there isn't hair in my face or flyaways. God, I look like a girl. I look over at Dinah, and I'm sure she can see my watery eyes. I'm afraid to say the words out loud, so I mouth "thank you" to her.

Looking over at Mei. Hot damn. "Ensign Mei, your hair looks really classy. I'm serious." We need to keep this hair on her. Really need to do that.

"Dresses sound fun. Keep in mind I need to be able to move." I say it pretty seriously. "I am a bodyguard."
  • Dinah looks at Zoo. "You first, or me?" When the Captain gives her an "after you" gesture, Dinah beams. "Oh, good!"

She walks to several zippered bags hanging on a temporary rack nearby. "A few things. I know that we didn't really consult much on this, but Zoo and I know best, trust me, sweet stuff. So, first off, you said you wanted to go in without your arm, and I think that's great. You're going to be asymmetrical, so we run with it, let the eye be drawn to the lack, and then lead it where we want. Use your uniqueness to our advantage."

She reaches down to small box and hands you an object, circular and with a rounded top in smooth brushed aluminum. "It's a cap for the shoulder socket, a bit more stylish than the mil-issue one you wear. I've printed them in several colors."

She moves back to the rack, unzipping one of the hanging bags.

• edited September 2014
    I look at the cap. It's nice. She's really thought this through, I wouldn't have considered the cap. God, how am I even going to pull this off? A one-armed bodyguard? I wonder if I should invest in a "normal" arm. They're so intricate, it's a serious problem switching from a milspec to a civvie arm, I'd never be good at much of anything with my wires crossed, that's why. Get a grip.

"This is great, Red." I reply as genuinely as I can.
  • Dinah nods at your appreciation and finishes taking the hanger bag off the hanger. She removes a sleeveless black dress in some material that seems to pull the light from the room and give it back in a constantly shifting shimmer. "Psi Corps provided some tasty, nonstandard ingredients for the 3d-printer," she says.

The shimmer of the fabric makes it hard to see the lines of the dress on the hanger. Dinah says, "Okay, K, it's go time. Get naked. We warned the menfolk to keep out."

• edited September 2014
    I start pulling off clothes. It's weird, doing this in front of Mei and Dai, especially after "the talk". But I'm sort of stuck. I don't make it sexy or hesitate, just strip to my underwear, which is a pair of boy shorts and a functional bra.
  • Ksenia, Dinah clucks her tongue, shaking her head. "That bra will not do." She reaches into another box and pulls out a simple but strapless black bra. "We are fashion mavens now, and I do not want to see straps on those shoulders." She holds out the bra to you and raises an eyebrow.

• edited September 2014
    I give her a sheepish grin, then reach back and unsnap the bra. I am not looking at Dai. Technically, not looking at Mei, either. But I don't want to cause hurt feelings... after all the weirdly possible hurt feelings. I keep running the conversation with Mei over and over in my head. Was she lying? Telling me what I wanted to hear? Is she hurting inside? How could I ever know?

For once, I wonder what it would be like to be a psi soldier. I put that away, but for a moment, I do wonder.

I let the bra hit the deck with my clothes, and try to put on the strapless. Which, I can't. Frakking strapless bra. I try twice, just trying to get it to stay, or holding it under my arm and reaching back, but....

Frakking strapless bras. Dammit.

"Can I... get some help, please?" I ask it in a way that says I'm not at all happy about needing help, but not frustrated at anyone who didn't volunteer until I asked.

Frakking strapless bras.

There's a really pretty woman in that screen who looks like she has her shit together and still has time to have killer hair. "Zoo," I hear my mouth say, "Is that me?" I slowly run my fingertips along the edges, turning this way and that. I guess it is you, Mei. I'm checking myself out in the video feed, it's a very different look that I never would try. And Ksenia thinks I look classy! I can't help a little come-hither wink when I think nobody's looking.

I'm still testing out my look back and forth like it's a mirror, when I hear a note in Ksenia's voice. I turn to look at her and let out a tiny gasp as she takes my breath away. I mean, I love the power woman warrior look she has, but those lovely long locks make me want her even more. It's a wonderful shift and I'm stepping closer without realizing it. You have it bad for her, Mei. Perhaps I'm in orbit around her. "Dangerous, and sexy, K." I blink rapidly and look around sheepishly, I didn't mean to say that out loud! "Um, I mean, very, um, nice, Ensign Cribbage." It's half-hearted, and I say it with love. I'm still trying to keep up appearances for some reason, in front of one person who installed a frakking soundproof system on our berth and another person who my love wants to fuck. You're an officer, Mei!

I straighten up and walk closer, my fingers light against the socket cap. Maybe she's cold, since she's only wearing those sweet little boyshort panties she favors. "Stylish and classy," and I'm nodding approval at Ksenia and Dinah. Dinah moreso, she's really thinking through this whole "companion" angle.

I step into Ksenia's bubble. "I'd be happy to help," I say softly. Of course I am. "I think they make a tool for this situation," I mutter under my breath, trying to think of the other people I've known with augments, and I really don't let my fingers stray. This is just getting dressed in a simple bra and my hands behave. My eyes, on the other hand...

Ksenia, I can't stop looking at you. You're so beautiful and brave and amazing.
  • edited September 2014
    Mei steps up, which is probably better than Dai. She is businesslike, which is nice. I do feel her fingers working against my back, chills pop up near her touch. She mentions a tool for this situation, and I reply smoothly, "They do, but my cyberarm is hideous."

I look up at her, eyes bright. I whisper,"One of these days, Kaycee, we're going arm shopping, and you are going to like it."
  • edited September 2014
    I smirk, shake my head. She doesn't even know how long I had to work on being able to tie my laces with this damn arm. A new one, weighted and balanced even slightly different, I'd be back to square one. They aren't a pair of shoes. But she's been through a ton with me, so I let it slide. She doesn't know. Hell, she wanted Gaumata to whip up attachments for me last mission. Poor kid.

"Some day." I lie.
  • Once the dress is out and on your body, Ksenia, it looks something like this on the screen:

K Dress

The shimmering fabric is tight against your skin and metal, the leg you "augmented" from back-pay to make aesthetically pleasing striking against the black fabric.

You hear a low "Shit..." from someone. You think probably it was Zoo.

"You look divine, Ksenia." Ummm, and she should probably lose those boyshorts to improve the line. I'm biting my lip.
  • edited September 2014
    I look in the tablet display. Frak... wow. I look like a girl. Boyshorts showing. I quickly pull them down, step out of them, then do a half turn to see the line. My cyberleg was worth every black mark on my soul. I love you, fake leg. You are the bestest thing I own. I'm smiling, not smirking, smiling. This feels good. "Red. This kicks ass."
  • Dinah gives you a pleased grin. "So do you, sweetie. The right shoes," and she tosses you a pair, "And you'll be the belle of the ball." The shoes have short heels, adapted to adjust for the difference between the natural angle of your flesh leg and the less-flexible right foot.

Dinah gives the Captain a glance. "Your turn, Mei. Take it off while I get your dress."

I start, I was so focused on Ksenia's look. I am eager to see what's in store for me. I don't look at anyone as I remove my clothes, folding them neatly on the edge of a surface. I'm surprised I'm not more self-conscious, but I almost feel as though I'm just in a swim suit, and my mind wanders, imagining a good swim. I'm in a plain black sports-type bra and regular high-cuts. They feel better when performing the more intense routines, and I'm suddenly glad I didn't go commando today.
  • edited September 2014
    I'm watching her through the tablet video, sure. I'm more interested in how Dai's looking at her, especially after "the talk". I'm worried that this is already getting messy. Mei's trying to be cool about what I asked, but then she decided to one up me and ask for the same thing, to challenge me about her having sex. I wonder what she meant by that?

Again, I'm not a psi soldier, so I just watch Dai out of the corner of my eye.
  • edited September 2014

Mei, Zoo explains that these first outfits are intended for fancy occasions, of course. "Dinah and I thought your 'look' should reflect your fancy heiress status, and since you're supposedly actually doing business, you're probably not the party girl type, despite being 'Misty Brown,' so..." She unzips another hanger bag and hands you this:

Mei Party Dress

"Definitely not that bra, though." She rummages around and finds one with a more appropriate cut, holds it out to you.

Dinah asks, "When was the last time either of you did something this... girly? You both seem a little flummoxed."

• edited September 2014
    "Been a while." I admit. As a street rat, I was never very girlie on Mars. Couldn't afford to be, really. Gangs. Stuff like that. I did some stuff on and off in the Corps. It's been a few years since I wore a dress. Or heels.
  • edited September 2014

"That's a very nice one, Captain. It looks so flowy!" I feel the hem has some subtle weights sewn in for low gravity use. I shrug out of my bra with only a trace of modesty, Focus, Mei and try the nicer one she offers. Hmm, I could almost go without. It's not like I need much in the way of support. Not like everyone else, and I snicker quietly to myself, keeping up the mood.

"The last time? Our previous mission! A few cocktail parties during Officer School and Psi Corps. But never anything this luxurious, Dinah." I touch my curls again. "And I mean luxury. I feel so lucky to be on the Jane."
  • Zoo smirks and opens her mouth just as Dinah says, "So, shall we call the boys in for a looksee?" Zoo tosses you a pair of heels, Mei, in a deeper gold that complements the dress.

"Heels?" I raise an eyebrow. "Can I get by without?" I wiggle my toes against the floor.
  • Zoo and Dinah say in that spooky best-friends unison, "Absolutely not!"

"Sure." I say, pushing the worry out of my tone. Can I pull this off?
  • Dinah moves to the intercom. "Attention, all testosterone-privileged passengers of the Stalker Jane, attention. Please report to the crew lounge for drool and a small glass of prosecco." She looks at you, Mei, and says, "Just a thimbleful to celebrate. It's bubbly!"

• edited September 2014

I can wear heels, and I sort of like being taller. But they constrain my motion and my balance is off. They are cute, though. I do a half-twirl and end up looking warmly at Ksenia. "They feel so at-odds with these swoopy lines!"

'A thimbleful?' I feel guilty, I'm sure K can pick up on my mood. But it feels more like a welcoming offer, not a warning. I'll nod an okay.
  • A minute passes, maybe two, and then you hear Church's voice over the intercom. "Ah. Permission to enter the lounge, Captain?"

Zoo steps over to the intercom. "Permission granted, Mr. Church." She beams at you both as the door opens.

Church and Csorba enter the lounge, and for an instant, both of their jaws drop like a trid animation character. Church is the first to recover. "Miss Dirk, you are stunning. Stunning and dangerous. I approve wholeheartedly."

A second later, Csorba says, "Mei, you're... beautiful."

• edited September 2014
    I smile a little bashful smile when Church approves. My left hand sneaks over my tummy a bit and I tell him a quiet thanks.

I make a "pfft" hand motion, but I'm very obviously pleased at the compliment. I'll twirl again, let the flowy dress spread and move out (and my curls!), and not stumble coming to rest on the silly high heel. It's like riding a bicycle. I have half an eye on Ksenia, looking adorably shy.
  • edited September 2014

Zoo clears her throat. "Ah, when your jaws return to their upright and locked positions, you can have a seat. No need for a full-on fashion show, but we can talk through the rest of these wardrobes."

She and Dinah walk you through more outfits, and they've done a pretty comprehensive job. Casual, fancy, business-like, you name it. Mei, Ksenia, can you tell me about one favorite item or outfit?

I think they're all pretty amazing. Some are more revealing that I'm comfortable with, but I'm trusting Red here. And Zoo and Mei aren't complaining. Neither is Church, for that matter.

My favorite part is the experience. Having them doll me up, treat me like a girl, it's so wonderful, almost overwhelming. I'm thrilled by this.
  • edited September 2014

I keep thinking about the budget for such an op, to wantonly spend on bespoke dresses. Such a wardrobe! I know this is more than Ksenia owns in the world. It puts the value of Yu and his drug into perspective. How deep are AdAstra's pockets?

My first favorite part is to see Ksenia so relaxed and happy.

There's one outfit that I really like. It's a dark grey herringbone power dress, knee-length, with somehow long sleeves cut well above the wrist that still show off my arms. The lines cling to me flatteringly and it makes me feel like I could admiral a fleet. Even the shoes look classy, comfortable, and intimidating to the viewer. Zoo and Dinah really have read me well.

It's very close to this:

Is this what it's like to have sisters?
  • edited September 2014

Mei, Ksenia, after some more chatting with the "guys" and the "gals," the party breaks up. You've got clothes, and identities, and seem to be set.

Dinah does say, though, that the gentlemen need to do a little modeling themselves, just to make sure they're up to snuff. Csorba responds, "Do you think you can handle this," with a hand gesture that takes in both him and Church. "In formalwear?" His grin is wolfish.

The boys leave, and you change back into your ship-board clothes, dresses back on hangers. As you turn to leave, Dinah says, "Mei? A word before you hang up your spurs for the night?" It's clear she's looking for a one-on-one.

What do both of you do?

I make a few cracks about Csorba and Church modeling for us, but I'm in a pretty good mood, so I let them go without too much guff. I peel off my dress after they leave, put my "regular" clothes back on, and leave Mei and Red in the room.
  • edited September 2014

I wouldn't mind seeing Church do some modeling. Even Csorba, if he can keep his trap shut.

I make eye contact with Ksenia as she goes, still sharing the moments of fun.

My head's slightly cocked, my body a question like I do sometimes. "Night already? Where did the day go?" I'm not standing at attention, but she has mine.
  • ---END SCENE---