[BtI] Date 1, Turn 3 (Active Player=Rich)

edited September 2014 in AnR
[OOC: As the first date continues, our Attraction is at 2, and there are no Compatibilities established.

That means, Andrea, that you will have five possible dice to award initially, if I do my job right: 2 for Attraction (beginning the turn with something that might make the Active Player's character more attractive to the Guide's character); and 3 Bonus Dice.]

Comments

• zach
    When you come back from cleaning up, John is across the way, sitting at a table. I stand up when you come back to sit, and while I can't pull the seat out for you, you can tell I kinda want to do just that. "You feel better, Summer?" I offer you an easy smile. I'm feeling good that I got to help out, even if a little bit.

I made good use of my time. By some miracle, the iced tea had largely missed my hair. My dress would have to dry out largely on its own, although I had done what I could to aid it while gone. It was much-needed time alone, to give myself a pep talk, to even out my temper and whirling emotions, and to refresh my make-up. Things could have been worse, right?

Seeing John at another table soothes most of what's left of my nerves. "I do. Sorry for that. I'm not as graceful under fire as I'd like to be." I glance towards John worriedly. Mostly harmless, yes, but still a jerk. "And I'm sorry for him too. He didn't give you any trouble, did he?"

Aw, chasing away the stupid ex! You totally can roll your attraction dice!
  • Attraction dice!
    (Rolled: 2d6. Rolls: 5, 3. Total: 8)
  • zach
    "Don't worry about it, Summer," I reply when you admit you don't think you're graceful under fire. "I thought you were great. John, however, he's kind of an a-hole." I wait for you to sit, then I sit down again. "Turns out he recognized me from the commercials, he wanted me to apologize to you for him. Which, I've done."

Sitting where your glass of tea was is now a nice, tall glass of water. "Steffy, that's our server, feels pretty wretched about spilling that drink on you." I add, "She said you should order something off the menu, anything you like, to make up for it. Free of charge."

I slide a menu over, "Their cake is pretty incredible... or so I hear."
  • edited October 2014

I didn't need you to tell me my ex is an a-hole, but it makes me laugh softly anyway. I do doubt John meant to apologize...but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

My, my, so gracious! And extra points for calling the ex an a-hole! Take a die!

"That's sweet of her, but it's not the end of the world." I never look at dessert menus -- if I don't know they have something, then I won't want it, will I? But now that the cat's out of the bag... "I'll trust your advice. But you're going to have to split it with me. Most of these places serve desserts big enough to feed an army." Which was always a little horrifying, really.
  • Bonus Die #1
    (Rolled: 1d6. Rolls: 2. Total: 2)
  • zach
    I chuckle, because you're right. Portion sizes here are pretty huge. "You have to save room for... the Apple O’ Me Eye Pie." I offer a winning smile, mostly because I like the idea of sharing food with you. It's intimate and pretty adorable. "You ever seen that movie Lady and the Tramp? where the two dogs have a doggie date in the back alley behind an Italian restaurant?" I hope you have, otherwise I'm going to feel old.
  • edited October 2014

That smile... It's no wonder you're on TV. Take a die, heartbreaker!

I groan inwardly at the name, but it's with a laugh that I say, "The names of their dishes are terrible."

My eyes light up a bit at the mention of the movie. It's something I haven't thought of in some time -- but, really, who hasn't seen Lady and the Tramp? "Oh, I love that part! With the accordian and the meatball..." Realizing I'm enthusing over both a child's movie and possibly the most romantic scene ever, a light blush spreads over my cheeks, and I laugh. "We play a lot of Disney movies at work. For the kids."
  • Bonus Die 2
    (Rolled: 1d6. Rolls: 1. Total: 1)
  • zach
    "Now, I think I already know you work in an office of some kind, right?" I broach the subject of work, because I think it's neat to see how folks end up doing what they do. Plus, you already asked me about my stuff, so it isn't a touchy subject. Some folks hate talking about what they do for a living. "What do you do that requires Disney movies?" The question is light, not an accusation, my tone is rather curious.

"Kind of. It's nothing half as exciting as what you do." Or even a quarter as exciting... "I'm a dentist, actually. We have a kid's corner out in the lobby with toys and coloring books and a TV for the kids. It keeps them distracted for a little while before we bring them back." I take a sip of the water -- carefully, so as not to have a repeat of the iced tea incident. I smirk and add, "I could hook you up with some pirate stickers. And a pirate toothbrush if you're extra good."
  • zach
    My eyes widen in mock excitement when you mention pirate stickers. "Okay, the stickers sound great, but a toothbrush! Jackpot!" I chuckle, you've got a great sense of humor, and at least your brilliant smile makes sense.

I take a couple bites of the chicken feast, then I ask, "How do you like working with kids? I'd imagine it's tough to gain their trust, even with Disney movies."

Laughing at my terrible attempts to be cute. You get a die!

"The hygienists get the worst of it. By the time I get to them, the kids are usually calmed down. Usually." Except the ones we have to pry off the ceiling, anyway... "Most of the kids are pretty good if their parents are there to calm them down. I really don't know how parents do it -- they just walk into the room, tell their child everything's okay, and they calm right down. It's kind of magical. The kids themselves are usually pretty good, though. I think all of my favorite patients are under the age of 10 and still believe in the tooth fairy. What about you? Like kids?"

I'm pretty much done with my own meal. BLTs don't take long to eat. There are still lots of fries left (which are pretty soggy), but, suddenly, I'm saving room for dessert.
  • Bonus Die 3
    (Rolled: 1d6. Rolls: 6. Total: 6)
  • zach
    "Sure, I like kids." I answer, slowing down my eating when I see you've put down your fork with a sense of finality. "But it's easy when you do what I do. Some of them are victims of their dads who recognize me and they are drug up for a handshake or an autograph. A few see me as the guy on TV, and that's fun. There are a couple who find out I'm a pilot, though. That's always pretty great."

I take my last bite, then wash it down with my water. I got water as a refill so we're both drinking water together. "I like dentists." I smile, "Back in my playing days, your colleagues kept me feeling human. I've laid to rest five different pearly beauties. I appreciate the work you do, Summer." I'm complimenting you, but it's genuine. I used to feel pretty ugly when I wore falsies. This bridge was damn expensive, but it's been worth every penny.

We have three successes, but I want a Compatibility, so I'm pushing onward.
  • edited October 2014

Ooh, five missing teeth? Really? You can have two dice for ick factor!

That makes me laugh. "No one likes dentists, Zach. But, it's nice of you to say, anyway. You have no idea how many times I've heard people sing the Dentist Song from Little Shop of Horrors." Because that never got old -- or so people seemed to think. "Do people do that to you? Come up and say the exact same thing to you as everyone else and think they're so clever when they do it?"

Realizing something, my eyes widen slightly, and I put a hand over my mouth. It makes me want to slouch down in my seat to hide from the horror of it all. "Oh, no. Don't tell me. I did it, didn't I?" Because that was one of the first things that had come out of my mouth at the grocery store... At least I hadn't just blurted your tagline out to be cute -- I had asked if you were the hit-it-hard guy. Oh, boy.
  • Two Re-Roll dice (of three):
    (Rolled: 2d6. Rolls: 6, 6. Total: 12)
  • edited October 2014
    zach
    You catch yourself right as I chuckle. "If it makes you feel any better, yours was my favorite "hit it hard guy" question of the week." Since we're sitting side-by-side, I gently nudge you while you're sunk down. "If you hadn't come up to me and asked that, we wouldn't be here. So, that's a win."

Yes! We have five successes, which is enough to buy a Compatibility. Let's go for We like kids. whew. This date is finally getting good. I'll hand the baton to you and we can have some yummy dessert.