[LB] How Did We Get This Job Anyhow? (CV, KA, SN Refresh 01)

edited November 2014 in LadyB
Flashback. This is before you picked up Galena and Naomi

The three of you are walking away from The Owl after landing in an out-of-the-way skydock on Ilysium. The glittering spires of the city are glass and brass. The whistle of the passenger train that carries people along the long streets of this mega-city sounds and people hustle to get on it before it leaves.

Snargle, where are the goblins on Ilysium? Hey, what's the deal with goblins, anyways? How many of you are there? Do you "pass" as human most of the time or what?

Kale Arkam, how did you find out about this job sneaking some woman off planet? Well, you and I know Uriah sent you on this mission, but what did you tell the good Captain? Where are the three of you headed?

Captain Vance, how long has it been since you were last on the streets of Ilysium? What's one thing you hate most about the Imperial Capital?

Comments

• edited November 2014
    Snargle

Snargle's people are proud, and most would never try to "pass" except for brief times when disguise is useful. There are some, though, who believe what some humans say about them, and hide in their shame.

Goblins were once almost as many as humans, but litters started getting smaller around a hundred years ago, and no one knows why. Now goblins are fewer each year, and more and more scattered. The ancient Goblin Quarter is half-empty now.
  • edited November 2014
    KaleArkamHeader
    I looked up at the shiny spires reachin into the sky. I tried not to look impressed. Musta took these Imperials half a lifetime to beat all them brass patterns into such interestin designs.

I never hold secrets from the Cap, but I was tempted to this time round. He’s made clear he ain’t no fan a Uriah Flint, but this was a honest job and we needed ta eat somehow or tother.

Uriah could be a mite gratin on some, but if not fer him, me an Drabbler’d still be rottin in a cell or dead on the cobbles somewheres. I owe King Flint this and a half hundred times more--and the pays good besides.

Tansy though, her I didn’t owe much. In true fact, she owed me an the Owl a thing or two after the last time we paid visit on her dank little shoppe…

Almost there, Cap. If I remember, the Stuffed Seahorse should be a couple streets down.

I said it, but he surely knew. I just wanted ta say something to quiet out the sound of the Cap's grindin teeth.
  • edited November 2014
    CyrusVanceHeader

"Sure, sure, the sooner we fly outta here the better.

Cyrus pulls his jacket around him as he walks with Kale and Snargle towards the Seahorse. "Been a few years since I've walked these here streets," he thinks. Nothing's changed. Still richies decked out in their finery, lookin' all high and mighty as they walk around. Cyrus'd punch each one of them square in the nose, if he could get away with it.

But it's those spires, oh those spires, that drive Cyrus nuts. Monuments to waste that block out the sky, the beautiful sky, the one place Cyrus feels truly safe. "Lookin' up and seeing those monstrosities instead of the clear, pale blue," Cyrus thinks, "I can't take it long. Let's just get this done and get back where I can see the sky all 'round me." He looks nervously around himself. "When there's nothin' but blue 'round ya, there nothin' to stop you from runnin'."
  • The train passes by and the three of you walk over the tracks down the cobblestone streets. The smells of this part of the city are an ugly mix of offal in the gutters and alleys, and the stench of too many people living too close together, of rusty steam pipes, too. The capital city is a gleaming wonder to look at, but the smells of the place leave something to be desired.

True to Kale's word, the Stuffed Seahorse is only two blocks away. The freshly baked bread wafts your way, lifting you as you come to the door. It a mix of an open tavern with a dash of a cafe, with tables outside and a long bar inside. It serves seafood from the nearby ocean, and some of the best ale brewed by commoners.

Kale, who are you meeting here?

Vance, who was it that you shot dead in this very tavern, and why?
  • KaleArkamHeader
    I glance about for Tansy. We're not even 10 minutes late, if she bolted I have no idea where we can buy the cred to pass on through Imperial skies unmolested.
  • edited November 2014
    CyrusVanceHeader

Cyrus pulls his collar up to cover his face. He hopes no one recognizes him. The last time he was here he shot one of the Chesapeake Brothers dead over a game of cards. Those two fellas were always cheatin' and Cyrus had just about had enough of it. "it was Zeke Chesapeake, right? Or was it Reek? I can never remember which one's which," Cyrus thinks to himself. "One of 'em's got that tattoo on his face and is missin' his two front teeth and the other is... uh... dead. Cause I shot him. Wonder where the live one is? Hopefully not still hangin' out here."
  • You find Tansy sitting near the kitchen in a booth. She's arranged herself to appear as if she's holding court, as usual.

Here she is:
    Tansy

She smiles at you, Kale, and you, Snargle, then flashes pearlies especially for you, Vance. "Greetings and salutations, gentlemen. Thank you for... eventually coming to see me." The last bit is for you, Kale.

Snargle, what's the weird trick that Tansy loves to see you perform again? You know she'll ask for it soon enough.
  • Snargle

As soon as Snargle sees Tansy, Snargle starts making the little changes needed to do Tansy's favorite trick. It makes Tansy smile, and Snargle likes Tansy's smile. Arms get a bit longer, shoulder joints shifting just so. Hips and pelvis tilting a bit, and toes lengthening. Now, if someone happens to have two guitars, Snargle's ready to play a duet.
  • CyrusVanceHeader

Cyrus is still trying to look inconspicuous as he sits down at the table, but he smiles in spite of himself as Snargs does all this. He does like Snargle's tricks, and this one is good. "Kale, see if they still got them instruments in back that our friend here can play. We all know Tansy ain't given us what we want until Snargs has made 'er smile."
  • edited November 2014
    Tansy
    Tansy makes a show of not smiling, but it's merely pretend to "force" Snargle to do the duet.
  • Snargle

When Kale returns with the guitars, Snargle tunes each carefully, making a show of plucking every string several times before nodding in approval, even if the string was in tune to start with. Finally, satisfied, Snargle holds one guitar to Snargle's chest and puts the other on the ground, just so, adjusting its position with toes.

Not many people know this, but someone pointed it out to Snargle once. The theme of the middle movement of Bononciniolinini's "Grand Duetto" for two guitars is based on an old and very dirty folk song called "The Whores of Ilysium." Playing the duet is not Snargle's trick. Snargle's trick is singing along "The whores of Ilysium are older than dirt, and their beards tumble down to their tits..." That's how it starts. It's Snargle's joke. Snargle's and Bononciniolinini's.
  • edited November 2014
    Tansy
    Peals of uproarious laughter issue from Tansy, followed by un-ladylike snorts and table slapping. It is undeniable that she adores this song and your performance of it.

OOC: You made me chuckle, Snargle. Take an XP for your Key of Banter.

When you're finished, she collects herself, "Tansy is please and all is forgiven. Please, sit. Eat. Take extra bread like always, Kale." She pours a goblet of red wine for each of you. "How is the best crew this side of the star? How are you treating my Owl, Vance?"
  • CyrusVanceHeader

Clearly in no mood for much small talkin', Cyrus says, curtly, "She's fine, Tansy. Same condition as ever. So what's the job?

Cyrus' eyes dart around and he speaks.
  • edited November 2014
    KaleArkamHeader
    I give her a smile, but it's already fulla the bread I collected when I fetched the guitars. Now's the secret's out, guess that means I can actually start chewin.

We'll be doin better with full bellies. Thankee Tansy.
  • Tansy
    Tansy lets Kale eat up, and offers a pretty smile to Snargle as he sits. To your question, Vance, she leans in closer and with a conspiratorial whisper, answers, "There are a pair of women who need to be ferried off Ilysium quick and quiet, with no Imperial entanglements. They pay is good, my friends. But time is of the essence. They need to be taken all the way to the Free Worlds. And they're offering double the rate of any cargo." She smiles at that, gold coins in her red eyes.

Kale, why the hell are Tansy's eyes red, anyways? Some kind of drug, or heritage of her birth, or what?
  • CyrusVanceHeader

"Double the rate for two passengers, eh? So what's the catch? They wanted? Dangerous? Annoying? I always find that somethin' that seems too good to be true is, in point of facts, too good to be true!"
  • Tansy
    "The catch is that you don't want to be caught. I don't know the ladies, but they are connected, and adamant about avoiding Imperials." Tansy says. "Are you interested? Or shall I look for another?"
  • CyrusVanceHeader

"Well, Tansy, of course we'll take the job. You know us, we never turn down an honest day's work."
  • Tansy's eyes are red and her skin is white and a bit scaly because she survived a kiss from a sky squid. Kraken-kissed they call it. Some say that gives you special powers, that the Mother Squid chose you. Most say it's bunk.
  • -- END SCENE --