[SWAW] New Start (14)

2»

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Ladro Eyes

"No, you're not crew material. I saw how you were taking care of Jojee, earlier, and I appreciate it, but that's indisputable. But, I think we might have a common goal for now. He can't pay that well. Fellow travelers until it makes sense to split? And let Jojee go, okay? She's said she doesn't want what you're offering."
  • You're slowly working your way up the muddy trail towards the mine. It's a half mile out. The ambient light bounces off the mud puddles as you travel.

Amarath-header
    She shrugs noncommittally about the pay, as if to say "I wasn't so bothered." On the offer of a team-up, she replies, "Fellow travelers sounds good. I'll pay my way when we fly, and if you've got jobs for me, cut me in and I'll wow you."

She slows down a bit at the last, then stops. "As for Purple, don't worry, Ladro. I was just getting a rise out of her. I'd never force her to do anything she didn't want. And we kinda got along tonight. It was nice chatting with her when she's a bit unwound. That said, she doesn't like danger as much as me. We'd never work out." She steps over to you, "How's your love life goin, by the by? You were always a ladies man, Ladro. That Cathar got her hooks in ya, it seems." She wears this little gossipy grin on her face as she looks at you.
  • Ladro Eyes

I shrug. "My love life is complicated, of course. That's the nature of the beast, though, isn't it?" I pause to carefully step over a puddle. "Womprat at forty meters, huh?"
  • Amarath-header
    Amarath sucks her teeth and grins, "I might've rounded up a little. Forty has such a nice ring to it, don't it?"

You spot a couple of the miners from back at the Rainstick walking up the trail. They're a hundred feet off, not walking quiet, just casual. Amy spots them, and draws her blaster smoothly, aiming at the ground.

What do you do?
  • Ladro Eyes

"No need to look for trouble, Amy. Let's just keep it cool." Leaving my blaster in the holster for now, but keeping ready.
  • Amarath-header
    She takes a few steps back, away from them, behind you. Her blaster's hidden behind her thigh. "I'm not the most cool individual..."

One of the miners is a guy in his late thirties, human, thick strawberry blonde beard. The other is a Rodian, blue, wiry, smaller. The human says, "Hey, you two. No need to be spooked. I wanted to talk to you, fella. If you've got a minute."
  • Ladro Eyes

"Sure, I've got a minute. What do you need, friend?"
  • Lenard Simril
    He walks closer, dropping his voice a little, "Name's Lenard Simril. I hear you're buying that YV model. Zat right?"
  • Ladro Eyes

"Hoping so, Lenard. I should know for sure tomorrow morning. News travels fast, doesn't it?"
  • edited December 2014
    Lenard-Simril
    "Small community, the seller's been crowin' about getting a nibble. It happens." Lenard replies, waving a hand. "You gonna haul freight?"

The Rodian seems intent on the answer to this one. Neither of them are armed, by the way. Amarath could gun them both down, easy.
  • Ladro Eyes

"Among other things, yes. A Cred's a Cred. What's your interest?"
  • Lenard-Simril
    He looks at you for a moment, then back at his Rodian friend. "I might have some profitable work for you, if you can keep it between us. Find me again when the ship's yours, yeah?" He turns to leave.
  • Ladro Eyes

"I'll look for you, then. Have a good night." Once they're gone, I turn to Amy. "Thank you for not shooting potential customers."
  • Amarath-header
    "Your customers." She says with a wry look. "I bet we could make more turning them over than they'll pay you to haul whatever." She holsters her blaster.
  • Ladro Eyes

"Maybe so, Amy, but that's not exactly good for business. I can see why you're good at what you do, though. You go in a straight line until something gets in your way, then you shoot it and keep going."
  • Amarath-header
    She grins, showing teeth, "You got me pegged. That is most certainly how I roll." She starts back towards the spaceport, "C'mon, let's head back. I have a feeling Jo's a puking kind of drunk, and somebody's gotta hold back her pretty little hair."

After a few steps, she looks over, her cybernetic eye turning red again, "If you ever wanna complicate your love life a bit more, let me know. I've had my eye on you for a long while, Ladro. No attachments, nobody needs to know." She winks at you with her good eye. It sounds like she's probably serious, but she might be pulling your leg.
  • Ladro Eyes

"Jojee is the puking kind. Thanks for helping out with her, Amy. And I'll keep your offer in mind, if I ever do need more complications. I'm sure it would be an eye opener."
  • Amarath-header
    Amarath Shades shoots you a serious look for a moment. Then, she says with a sabercat's grin, "Oh Vos... oh Vos." She holds up her cybernetic arm, "I have.... attachments." She snickers, then picks up into a jog to head back to the hotel.

Anything left for tonight?
  • Ladro Eyes

I shake my head as she trots off. I think today's been long enough, and tomorrow's going to be busy, too. I head to my room and try my best to stop thinking about everything that needs to be done if we're going to make a go of this new venture, at least long enough to get some sleep.
  • SCENE CLOSE

We pick up the next day. The inspection with Whiting is ongoing. He and a slightly hung over Jojee are tearing off every single panel. You get the impression that Whiting has checked this bird out before, but Jojee is insistent.

This is Whiting:
    Whiting

Jojee
    Jojee comes over to report,
    "The ship needs some coupling replacements, a tune-up of course, some wiring re-work, too. The inspection's going well enough, this is less than a grand, and I think we can wheedle that out of the seller based on what he's told me. This thing's been sitting here for a few months."

Why isn't Hosk here?
  • Ladro Eyes

Hosk is making nice with Miri Tharen from the security office. Just saying hello, establishing a relationship, not trying to accomplish anything in particular.

When Jojee reports I nod, well pleased. "Excited to take her for a spin, Jojee?" So much to do, I'm finding it a little hard to focus on the inspection, but I need to be here.
  • Jojee
    Jojee looks over to Whiting, who shrugs like it isn't up to him. "Yes! I mean... yeah, that'd be fine."

Whiting heads off to other work and in a few minutes, you're in the cockpit with Jojee as she starts pre-flight. She looks over at you, "Hey, was there really almost a fight at the Rainstick last night?"
  • Ladro Eyes

"Yes, there was. Not surprised you don't remember. I am a little surprised you let yourself get that karked up when you knew we had the inspection this morning."
  • Jojee
    Sheepishly, Jojee nods, "I know, I know. Amy got me into a drinking contest, and that miner guy came over, started buying us drinks. It was stupid. Won't happen again." Her tone is accepting, but also brushing past it.

The engines hum to life with a very satisfying thunder. In moments, you're lifting off, using the repulsorlift engines to angle up as the silo roof slides away. Jojee is quick, but smooth as you lift off. She grins and gives it some thrust as soon as you clear the roof and the watch tower of the port.
  • Ladro Eyes

I accept Jojee's response. It's enough for now. "We shouldn't take too long—I'm anxious to meet with the seller and sign myself into 80K creds of debt with a Hutt—but have some fun."
  • Jojee
    Jojee really lets it out, and the engines roar as you break atmo. She giggles, "You said Hutt butt." Her mood is light, the flying, the joke. She opens up the console for hyperspace coordinates. "Hey Bossman, permission for a short jump to hyperspace? Just to test the engines. Out and back in half an hour, tops." She grins and wiggles her eyebrows in an adorable beg.

• Ladro Eyes

I say, "Maybe it would be best to sign the paperwork before we leave the physical universe and enter... whatever hyperspace is?" She can see that I'll give in, though, if she pushes a little more.
  • Jojee
    She makes a slight pout, "But Bossman. This is a critical step in the evals, right?" She starts punching in coordinates, but doesn't punch it. "C'mon, just hit that glowing button riiiight there."<.font>
  • Ladro Eyes

Resistance is futile. I push the button. Of course I push the button.
  • The thrill of acceleration before you hit hyperspace is always better in the cockpit. This model has a pair of seats with a front row view. The universe pulls apart and in seconds, stars stretch and you're in hyperspace.

Jojee
    Jojee looks over, "You look good sitting there, Bossman. I think you should make that your seat. The captain's chair."
  • Ladro Eyes

I slap the arms of my chair. "Make it so!" This... the responsibility, the money, all of that fades away in the streaks and otherness of hyperspace, and I let myself surrender to the giddiness. "JOJEE THIS IS SO AWESOME!"
  • Jojee
    Peals of laughter erupt from Jojee and all semblance of hangover is gone. "Yes! Yes it is!"

You fly in your ship, sitting in your captains chair, for another ten minutes before Jojee plugs in a drop-out coordinate. You slip out of hyperspace on the edge of a small solar system, off the beaten path. She boosts forward into space, then pulls a 180. Before she plugs in return coordinates into the nav computer, she asks, "You think Squally wants to come back, Boss... I mean, Cap?"

• Ladro Eyes

"I think I've been planning on it. It's not exactly coming back is it? This isn't the Libation, and I'm not Lee. Of course, it's Squall's decision. Kark it, Jojee, she's going to join us. And we're going to be legendary!"
  • Jojee
    That's all Jojee needs to hear. She types in coordinates to the nav computer, then looks to you, "Punch it, Captain."
  • Ladro Eyes

I turn to my pilot. My pilot. "I think this one belongs to you, Jojee."
  • Jojee punches it and you spring into hyperspace again. All too soon, you feel that lurch as the ship shifts back to normal space and Gristone Mining Camp in the middle of a small asteroid field looms ahead. Within a few minutes you're landing.

Jojee
    As she angles it into the bay, Jojee says, "This ship was a smuggler's baby. She may have a reputation in some parts. The transponder codes look clean, but once Squall's back, we need to get her on it."
  • Ladro Eyes

"Absolutely. We need new idents, too. All four of us. We can find someone on Devaron when we pick up Squally." I get up from my chair. "Alright, time to transact some business. Are you coming with me? Oh..." In the haze of the morning, I forgot to give Jojee the dress. I fish out my room's swipe-card from my pocket. "Hey, there's a box in my room. Present for you, and a make-nice gesture for the lady that's going to be our ear to the ground here. Try it on, and then go see Miss Geshix for alterations?"
  • Jojee
    Jojee's head snaps over to look at you. Her eyes widen and mouth opens, "You... you got me a dress?" She continues landing the Profit Margin, but you can tell she's really eager to check it out. "Captain, you are after my heart. I haven't worn a dress in a long, long time!"

You do land, and she practically runs to her quarters. You spot Hosk entering the hangar bay as you hear her squealing with joy.

After he makes his way up the ramp, Hosk says, "SecOps is decent enough. Miri's open to floating stuff our way, but she insists this place is "pratty quiet". Heh, we haven't been here long. That'll change. So I hear Amy's gonna be flying with us for a while? Until we put holes in Sark's brain?"

• Ladro Eyes

"Yes, for a while. Until it makes sense for her not to, if not until we take Sark down." Or figure out what's really going on. "You coming with me to settle this business? No need, I suppose."
    "Of course, Lad." Hosk answers it like he's a little insulted you asked. But that's it, just a little barb.

You head off to speak with Xehik, I assume. He agrees to drop a thousand credits from the sale price, even throws in a month's rent on the hangar bay so you can have the work finished.

A day later, Jojee is nearly done with the work. She rented a few more gearheads to help and supervised the work herself. At night, Lenard comes your way. Where does he find you?
  • Ladro Eyes

I've set up a little desk in the hangar and I'm sitting there with my datapad working on about a dozen lists of things we need, things other people need to do, things I need to do... the last one's the longest, of course. Lenard pushes the buzzer and after checking the video, I release the door lock.
  • Lenard-Simril
    Lenard comes in, alone. He looks around the hangar bay, smiles appreciatively, "She cleans up nice. Looks like a fine bird." He comes over to stand by the desk. Is there a chair? If so, he sits. "Following up on the shipment. A few friends and I have some cargo we want moved to Devaron. We've got someone there who wants it. We're offering two Cred up front, as long as you agree to our conditions. Once the delivery is done, you get another two Cred. Plus, it should set up future deliveries."
  • Ladro Eyes

"How much cargo, and what is it? And what are your conditions?"
  • Lenard-Simril
    Lenard leans forward, eyes serious, "Two metric tonns."
  • edited December 2014
    Ladro Eyes

I look at him, waiting patiently for the rest of the explanation.
  • Lenard-Simril
    After a minute, he gets it, so he continues. "It will be crated up, but you have to pick up off the darkside of the planetoid. I'll provide the landing zone and contact. You deliver it, he hands you the credits, and you come back here to pay us."
  • Ladro Eyes

I look at him, waiting patiently for the rest of the rest of the explanation.

• Lenard-Simril
    At that point, Lenard stops talking. He looks at you, curiously, "That's it."
  • Ladro Eyes

"Well, if that's it, then I'm afraid we can't do business. I won't move freight if I don't know what it is. Sorry, Lenard."
  • Lenard-Simril
    He exhales a frustrated breath. "It's an ore. We found a vein, and we want to move it."
  • Ladro Eyes

"Now we're getting somewhere. What type of ore? I don't care about your operation Lenard, but I need the facts."
  • Lenard-Simril
    "It's Guerrerite. The mining stake doesn't cover it. The moment it's found out, they'll shut down the mine until a new stake is lodged with the Empire. They'll fire the miners during the waiting period. People will go hungry."
  • Read a Person

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 6. Total: 11)
  • Is Lenard telling the truth?
    What does Lenard wish I'd do?
    How could I get Lenard to move the fee up?
  • edited January 2015
    He didn't want to tell you all that he did, and he's maybe exaggerating a bit on the administration shutting the mine down, but it's never happened, and he thinks it will happen.

He wishes you'd take the job and keep your mouth shut so he and his friends can set up a side business.

If you readily agree to keep it quiet, you can push another Cred up front out of him. That's all the wiggle room he has now. He'd have to get a loan or bring in someone else to get more, which could blow things up. He doesn't want things to blow up.
  • Ladro Eyes

I decide not to push on the price. Better to not have him looking elsewhere, if this is possibly a regular thing. I hold out a hand. "Deal then. Hoping to get underway soon, so you might as well give me the coordinates for the pickup and the contact information."
  • Lenard-Simril
    He stands, taking your hand with a firm grip, "Great, that's great." He gives you some coordinates, it's thirty miles east of here, probably the outer limits of the mine, in the blackness. "Here's the band we use for comms. Keep it to yourself. Don't breathe a word of this, right?"
  • Ladro Eyes

"Not a word. I'll give you some notice when we're about to pick up the ore." I watch him leave, then ping Jojee and Hosk, ask them to meet me at the hangar.
  • They both show up, Jojee walks outside to meet you. Hosk walks in from outside, puts out his deathstick to listen in.
  • Ladro Eyes

I give a celebratory grin. "Ladies and gentlemen, the Profit Margin is in business. We have cargo, and as it happens we're taking it to Devaron."
  • Jojee
    "Zeng, Captain! We can drop off one thing, pick up another." Jojee seems thrilled with the job.

Hosk seems less enthused, but not upset, just cautious, "Have you spoken with Alanna about this, Lad?"
  • Ladro Eyes

"About Squall? No. I'll talk to her when we get there. Nothing certain about Squall joining us, Hosk, and this is one issue where I'll definitely want both of you to weigh in."
  • Jojee
    After a moment of looking at Hosk, then you, Jojee offers, "I'll keep an eye out for her. I recommended her for Lee's crew and didn't have her back, really. I can do better this time. Plus, she is a damn good engineer."

"I want to talk to her first, find out how much she's changed. Not saying no, but not a yes, either."
  • Ladro Eyes

I chuckle and hold up a hand. "Not now! Once we've had a chance to talk to her. So, Jojee, how close are we to ready?"
  • edited December 2014
    Jojee
    She chews on the inside of her cheek, blinks a few times like she's reading a book in her head, Tomorrow night work, Cap?"

Hosk interjects with, "We bringing Amy?"
  • Ladro Eyes

"I'll offer. At the least, I feel like we should let her ride along to someplace like Devaron, where she's more likely to pick up some work. After that, if she wants to ride along it's fine by me, as long as she pays for passage."
  • No objections from either of them. Jojee makes like she's eager to get to work, Hosk even asks if he can help out. You know Amarath hasn't gotten any work here, she'll tag along.

Anything else before we skip ahead?
  • Nope. Skip away.
  • --END SESSION--