[In and Out] A Time for Visits (4.8)

edited January 2015 in PnR

The Real World

Reggie

The morning after Christmas, you laze around for hours. Reggie makes hot chocolate and waffles while you take care of the bacon. As you eat, Reggie says, "Hey, didn't you have a package from Rama Patel to open? You want to do that now?"

When you get the package and open it, you find this inside, along with an envelope with your name.

Inside the envelope is a creamy plain white card with the word "Peace" letterpressed on the outside. Inside, in elegant handwriting, is a note.

Trevian,

I hope this holiday season finds you and your estimable companion well and full of all the blessings of the season. I have been keeping track of progress, of course, and continue to be impressed with your approach and your apparent desire to honor my friend Eve as much as to gain her monetary legacy.

Please accept this token of my esteem. I have not been a practicing Hindu for many years, but Lord Ganesha holds a strong place in the culture of my family and ancestors. He is said to be the remover of obstacles, the god of beginnings, the embodiment of intellect and wisdom. While this statue is a personal gift, not a 'clue' or aid in the quest you seek to complete, I can only hope that Lord Ganesha will shower you with his blessings in life AND in Twilight Solstice.

Yours respectfully,
Rama Patel

Comments

• Trevian
    I look at the little idol. It's perfectly carved. I wonder if it was laser sculpted? "Can we put this up here somewhere?" I ask Reggie, showing it to her. "He says it isn't a clue.... but it sorta feels like a clue. Am I clue-crazy?"
  • The Real World

Reggie

Reggie reads the note. "Of course we can put this somewhere! And... as to clues, I really think he's just saying he hopes you win because he likes your style. Our style, I guess. Have you been catching the others' interviews and stuff? Everyone but those two we met during Winter Festival, the snowball fight, they're all posturing and cockiness. I think Rama just likes you."

• Trevian
    I grin, "That's only because he hasn't met you." I plate the bacon, then see if she needs any help with the waffles.
  • The Real World

You finish breakfast and find a place for Lord Ganesh. The rest of the day is lost in random domestic coziness. Thank you notes (yes, Reggie insists), a bit of cleaning, some TSol time. Finally, you get Reggie out to "meet the peeps" at Top of the Hill. You've arranged already (because you're crafty) for Erica to meet you there at 8 PM, so you get there at 7:30.

It's 8:05, and Erica hasn't shown up. Margie's bartending, but Tandy is out on a date and Jake is at the homestead. What do you do?

• Trevian
    Never had to wait for Erica before, really. Not sure if she's a tardy kind of gal. I'll sneak off to the bathroom and send her a text.

To: Erica Hey, you land safely? Need any help? We can pick you up. Trev
  • The Real World

To: Trevian From: Erica Be there soon. Travelling light, so I stopped to pick up some things.

Reggie

When you come back to the bar, Reggie gives you a look. "Something going on, Trev? You've got a look."

• Trevian
    I move up close to her, and smirk, "Is this lowly serf offending you, milady?" I'll try and distract her with that.
  • The Real World

Reggie

Reggie slips back into her haughty "royal" persona without skipping a beat. She sniffs. "You don't smell too bad today, peasant, and your labors last evening were much appreciated. Bar wench! Another ale here." Margie turns and raises an eyebrow, but chuckles as she brings Reggie's beer, then gives her a curtsey.

Margie

Margie looks at you. "Someone's feeling a little high and mighty tonight, isn't she?"

• Trevian
    "She's the queen, Margie." I reply, a hand on her back. "It's best to serve her that ale." I chuckle as I lean in and kiss her cheek. Then, to Margie, "How are you doing, barkeep?"
  • The Real World

Margie

"Pretty good, actually. It's weird, Jake's accident happened so soon after we started dating, but it's wound up meaning that we spend a lot of time just being together, instead of doing things. That's had an impact on the rest of my life, is the thing. I feel calmer, more centered, like my yoga teacher says..." She shrugs.

At that point you hear the door open and turn your head to see Erica entering, with a smile on her face. Reggie's focused on Margie, so she doesn't see her yet.

• Trevian
    Relief washes over me. Not that I didn't trust she was coming, it's just nice to see her again. I try to catch her eyes without moving so much Reggie would see me. Once I know she's headed over, I turn focus back on Margie, trying to keep Reggie from noticing. "That's a blessing in disguise. Not that doing things isn't good, of course."
  • The Real World

Margie

Margie raises an eyebrow. "True. And there are some things I really miss doing. I mean, we've figured out some stuff, but still..."

Erica

You feel Erica move up behind you. She taps Reggie on the shoulder and says, "Excuse me, miss, is this seat taken?"

Reggie

Reggie turns on her stool, then gives a big gasp and pulls Erica into a hug. "What the fuck are you doing here?"

Erica smiles. "Hi!"

• Trevian
    I'm pretty sure Reggie can see I'm not surprised, if she even sees me. She looks kind of "Erica-ified". I wait for them to chat before I interject for a hug. Then, I'll make introductions with Margie.
  • The Real World

In a few minutes, everything settles. Reggie punches you lightly in the arm when she finds out you planned this and kept it from her.

Reggie

"We didn't clean up, and we have a guest! You are an evil man, Trev." But she doesn't sound too upset.

Erica

"So how was your first couple-iffic Christmas? Everything go okay?"

• Trevian
    I take the punch with a grin, "You'd get suspicious. And you're a better detective than I am a liar." To Erica, who I pull into a friendly hug, then step back to the bar, "It was grand. Reggie wore an ugly Christmas sweater and allowed herself to be submitted to the Marks festivities. How was cookie baking in the great white?"
  • The Real World

Erica

"Bainbridge Island isn't exactly Canada... But Christmas was nice, and I managed to snag some of those peanut-butter cookies with the chocolate kisses on top to bring with me. So good."

There really isn't that much catching up to do, since Reggie and Erica talk once a week or so, and you all exchange quick emails and text messages, and share little moments over Hangout. The crowd's picking up (it's a Friday, after all). Do you hang out and play pool? None of you is really dressed to go dancing, but the night lies ahead of you. What kind of trouble are you looking to get into tonight?

• Trevian
    "Mmmmn, kisses." I say with a smirk, wiggling my eyebrows.
    Right now, the plan is hanging out. She just rode from the airport, I assume a taxi, so I'll let her cool her heels. Dancing isn't on the menu, true.

But there's a karaoke bar down the street...
  • The Real World

Wipe cut to the recently-opened "Shibuya, Y'all!" Waiters and waitresses of all races and skin colors are dressed in all the latest strange Japanese street fashions, and people from sixteen on up are crowded into the soundproof, glass-doored booths lining the walls. There's also a "main stage" and a crowd on the floor itself. The doorman, dressed like a Saiya-jin from last year's Dragon Ball Z reboot, checks IDs and gives you green "of age" wristbands.

So, Trev, do you head for one of the more private booths right away, or soak up some atmosphere out here on the main floor?

• Trevian
    We're here to have a good time! Totally checking out the main floor. I don't know if Queen Reggie is sick of my amazing rendition of "Wild Wild West" by Kool Moe Dee, but I know Erica's ears are virgin to its magic, so I'm itching to... wait, that analogy's going a bit too far.

(Check it: here)
  • The Real World

So, you sign up for the 'public' Karaoke to give your personal twist on "Wild Wild West". There's a wait before you come up to bat.

Tiffany is apparently here, too, because she steps up to the raised stage and grabs the mic. She pulls it close, like a lounge singer, and the V/R representation in the 3-d screen behind her is something akin to a punk Jessica Rabbit. Her rendition of Peggy Lee's ancient classic "Why Don't You Do Right" is smoky and true to tradition. When she sees you, she brightens a bit, but keeps the sultry tone. "Why don't you do right, like those other men do?" It's not just you, though... Tiffany is engaging with everyone. It's quite a performance, truth be told, and super sexy.

• Trevian
    I nudge Reggie, "Hey look, it's Shak!ra." I whisper into her ear, "She's really good." I clap when she finishes, loud and excitedly. I'll try to wave her over to our table.
  • The Real World

Tiffany moves away from the stage, but heads into a corner for a minute, accepting brief congratulations from various members of the crowd. As the a big guy that looks like a bodybuilder takes the "main stage" and (improbably) the intro to Zooey Deschanel's version of "These Boots are Made for Walking" starts playing, you receive a message through the TSol messaging app.

From: Shak!ra To: Abbadon Hey. I'd love to come over and say Hi but I'm on cam right now. If I spend more than a minute or two, all three of you need to sign a release.
  • Trevian
    What the heck?
    To Shak!ra On a cam? For what? Are you okay? Are you on cam 24/7? Abaddon
  • The Real World

Tiffany sends back a link to a site that aggregates "Lifestyle Streams" from all around the world. The thumbnails are all attractive, interestingly dressed young people. Apparently, her stream has over a hundred thousand subscribers. No, wait, there's one more zero than you thought. Make that over a million subscribers, with 102,033 of them watching right now.

• Trevian
    Wow. Just... wow. Not sure what to do with that. I do show Reggie my screen. "Did you have any idea?"

Then, I text back.
    To Shak!ra Are you live when in TSol, too? Abaddon
  • edited January 2015

The Real World

Reggie

Reggie raises an eyebrow, then pulls out her shiny new flexible computer. She and Erica start poking around. "No idea at all. There was an article about these lifestreams getting big again..." She fades out and continues poking at the screen.

From: Shak!ra To: Abbadon TSol is 'me' time. I'm going to wander around a little, pick up some color. Let me know, okay?

"I don't have any problem inviting her over, but maybe we should talk to Tonya before showing up unannounced on thousands of people's screens?"

• Trevian
    "Yeah, exactly." I agree. I message Tiff back

To: Shak!ra Then why have you ducked me in TSol? Did I tick you off? Checking with our PR person before inviting. Abaddon

I'll step into an unused Karaoke booth and call up Tonya, give her the heads up.
  • The Real World

Tonya hums to herself and does some quick research, then comes back on the line.

Tonya

"Actually, that would be super, the demographics are great. Just be good and say nice things about the products if you see an opportunity. Don't force it, though. Have fun!"

To: Abaddon Not ducking you. Contractual obligations. Ha. Lots of time on the stream over holiday break. Trying to bank hours.
  • Trevian
    "I'll do my best. Thanks, Tonya, happy holidays!" I chat with her if she wants. I assume she's busy, and I'm not looking to chat, it's just my nature.

To: Shak!ra I am officially inviting you to come over and hang out. We'll sign stuff. Would be nice to see you. Abaddon
  • The Real World

Tiffany comes over a few minutes later and joins you. "Hi. If you don't mind, can all three of you add your sig to this?" She turns around a small tablet, waiting for the three of you to add your ID signatures to a short release document that gives permission to broadcast you while Tiffany's around. Reggie signs, and after a little shrug, Erica does as well. When you follow suit, Tiffany takes the tablet back and slouches in her chair.

"So, yeah. How are you doing?" She's smiling, Trev, but she looks tired.

• Trevian
    "I'm good." I answer honestly, leaning back to put an arm around Reggie. "So Tiffany, you met Reggie and me. This is our friend Erica. She's from the PRD."
  • edited January 2015

The Real World

Tiffany introduces herself to Erica and orders cranberry juice and club soda. "Detroit? I'm not sure whether that's scary or cool..."

She and Erica chat for a minute about the PRD, then the conversation moves on to other things. Tiffany seems completely at ease knowing that thousands of people are watching the four of you make small talk, but Reggie seems a little weirded out. Whether it's because of the audience or because this is the sixteen year old girl that hit on you in front of a roomful of people, it's hard to tell. Erica seems fine.

Tell me, Trev, how is it for you, knowing that many people are looking on? What do you talk about?

• Trevian
    I'm sort of "on" for them. I mean, this is my job, right? I want MT to feel like I'm a good ad guy, so I try to be interesting, funny. After a few minutes of chat about PRD and TSol, I tell them, "I think it's about my turn, y'all." I indicate the stage, then head up to put my name in the queue, along with my song. I have the chip for it, in case they don't.
  • The Real World

You wind up fifth in the queue, so you have maybe twenty minutes to kill before the Karaoke DJ announces... "Up next, give it up for Trev, putting his own twist on..."

How does that sentence finish, Trev?

• Trevian
    What else? "Wild, Wild West by Kool Moe Dee!

I hop on stage and I don't need to cheat lyrics, I know this song by heart. Back in elementary school, Tandy and I worked out a whole routine, and I can do it without losing my breath, even now. So I do that, because it makes me super happy.
  • Of course it's Wild Wild West.

Let's see a roll for this, Trev. Hit a 7, and the folks you're with think you did great. Hit an 11, and there are only a few "Who is this douchebag?" comments from followers of Tiffany's stream. Hit a 14, and you get a few thousand new fans of your own.

• Trevian
    I'll go with Likeable. I'm spending 2 XP, so it's roll 6, keep 4.
    (Rolled: 6d6. Rolls: 5, 3, 4, 1, 3, 4. Total: 20)
  • Trevian
    Alright, that's 15!
  • The Real World

You nail it, Trev. The crowd goes nuts when you bust out your patented moves, and when you get back to the table, Tiffany tells you her stream's going nuts. Reggie and Erica are smiling at you, maybe a little predatorily, and someone at the bar sends over a round for your table. It takes some prompting, but Erica and Reggie both finally put their names on the list. The crowd's getting bigger, so it might be some time before they get to sing.

While you wait, you get a message from Jake.

From: Jake Yo. Do you think Reggie would model for me? She's perfect for a new commission.
  • Trevian
    I bask in their smiles and I'm super happy that Tif's getting a bump. That's awesome! When Jake sends his text, I lean over to Reggie and show her, whispering in her ear, "You'll do it, right? I think it would be really good. Plus, modeling. And, probably nakedness. For me. heh."
  • edited January 2015

The Real World

Reggie

You know Reggie's comfortable in her skin, so it's not much of a surprise when she shrugs and says, "Sure, why not? The picture he did of us is freaking amazing. Ooh, Erica, wait until you see it."

Erica's focused on the stage, where a pair of sorority types are massacring the new Lorde hit from last year.

Erica

"I wonder if anyone's ever really done an in-depth sociological study of karaoke? I mean, it's fun but kinda weird, right?"

"I should get moving around again. Streaming is kind of like being a shark. If you don't keep moving, you die. I'll swing back past, though? And Trev?" She turns those tired eyes full on you. "I'll find you in TSol sometime this week. I really would like to talk."

• Trevian
    Erica's got such a curious mind, it's interesting. I listen to her musing until Tiffany says she has to go. I give her a smile, "I'll look for you, Shak!ra." I'll stand up and give her a very chaste little hug, then rejoin my friends.

"What are you girls going to sing?" I ask them, hoping to get the scoop early.
  • The Real World

Both of the ladies smile enigmatically, and practically in unison, they say, "That would be telling," then they look at each other and laugh. Not too long after, the DJ calls them up to the stage. Their rendition of Beautiful Liar is not extra-tuneful, but it is really sexy. Their moves are perfect, down to the unison belly rolls. They get applause and wolf whistles when they finish, of course, and they've both been looking right at you the whole time. Did it get a little warm in here?

• Trevian
    Wow. That was. Really fun. Yes, it's hot in here, and they're the fire! Lil T is trying to take over all the thinking about what's next. Let's just say I don't give them a standing O.
  • The Real World

Reggie

Once the girls sit back down, Reggie leans over and says, "We haven't even seen the VR stuff yet, Trev. Do you think we should rent one of the private booths?"

• Trevian
    I perk up, "Oh hell yes, let's get a booth!" I punch in an order for that, see if one is open.
  • The Real World

A couple minutes later, a booth opens up and Reggie drags you by the hand, Erica following close behind. It takes a little time for the equipment to do a quick scan and for the three of you to make some choices for your VR avatars, but soon enough you're ready. Reggie and Erica both basically left their avatars alone, just choosing sexy dresses and more elaborate hair. What does yours look like?

Reggie picks something silly, a party song from last year that's more beat than tune, and starts shaking her virtual bootie while she sings along. You've got your rented goggles on, watching, when you feel her hand on your thigh.

• Trevian
    Oh, I'm tricked out. I chose a zoot suit cat, a classic from an old music video. I mean, why not? I sing along, since I know this song from Reggie's Echo player. She loves this one. I put my hand on hers, just enjoying the sensation, being close with my girl and no longer in front of many thousands.
  • The Real World

You spend some time in the booth, some with your goggles on, making each other laugh with virtual antics, and some with them off, the three of you dancing and singing together happily. It's low-key sexytimes, little touches and shared kisses, but nothing too off the chain. Any particular highlights for you, Trev? Songs or moments that you'll remember?

• Trevian
    This will sound conceited, but even slightly tipsy, I rock out Microphone Fiend like nobody's business.

I laugh my ass off when Reggie and Erica duet the classic Popular. Bummer about lil Ariana Grande. Tandy lurved her.
  • The Real World

Finally, the three of you are karaoked out, and you head back to Reggie's place. Needless to say, you go to bed right quickly, but no one gets to sleep very soon.

Erica

The next morning, you and Reggie wake up to the smell of coffee and maple syrup. Erica's in the kitchen making pancakes when you get there, and she turns to give you a smile. She's in that silk kimono she was wearing the first night the three of you got together in the PRD and still has just a touch of rather adorable sleepiness evident in her hair and eyes. She flips the pancake she's working on and comes over to give both of you a hug.

Reggie

"Hey, I was looking in the paper the other day, and apparently there's a big indoor flea market on the last Saturday of every month. I thought that might be fun, was going to ask you, Trev, but last night's surprise..." She gives Erica a grin. "...drove it right out of my mind."

• Trevian
    "Erica is a little mind-blowing." I agree. I watch her at the stove, cooking in that kimono. Damn, she's pretty. "A flea market trip sounds cool. Can we take your car, Reggie? I mean, no offense to flea markets, but... I don't want to park the car there."
  • The Real World

Erica

"I've got the rental, too. It's not very big, but we'll fit." The idea of a "big flea market" seems exciting to her, and you remember how much of what goes on at Thanatopsis is collage and assembly.

Pancakes are ready, and she's already got the syrup warm and butter on the table. Reggie pours coffee for everyone and you sit down to breakfast.

The pancakes are really good. There's something different about them... they're a little yellow in color and the texture is different than you'd expect. Definitely tasty, though.

• edited January 2015
    Trevian
    I take a few more bites, "What's the deal with these pancakes, Erica?" I ask between munching. "They're really great." I'm half imagining putting her on this table, pulling that kimono off and pouring some syrup and butter on her for me and Reggie. But pancakes are good.
  • The Real World

Erica

"Cornmeal. It's Zero's recipe, mostly. I just saw you had everything in the cupboard. Was just going to make coffee when I first got up."

Reggie

Reggie looks between the two of you. "I really don't approve of surprises, by the way, but this one I can live with." She turns to you, looks you in the eye, and puts a hand on your cheek. "I love you, Trevian Marks."

• Trevian
    That puts a huge grin on my face. "I love you, Reggie Cooper." I lean in for a kiss.
  • The Real World

After breakfast and getting ready for the day, we'll cut to the three of you paying the $5 entry fee for the Triangle Big Flea. And when I say "big" I mean BIG, Trev. It takes up thousands of square feet in an old tobacco warehouse that was refurbished as a convention center several years ago. Have you ever been to the Flea, Trev? Looking for anything particular while you're here?

• Trevian
    Of course I've been here. Jake's art projects were wide and varied before he settled into drawing. He used to do shitty, crazy man-crafting stuff, like welding sculptures and broken glass art. It was high school. But Mr. K fronted him for a booth every Saturday for a summer, the one between Sophomore and Junior year.

I'll keep my eye out for funky handmade jewelry for Tandy. I mean, if Reggie seems at all interested, I'll get stuff for her, but she doesn't seem like a flea market earrings kind of gal.
  • The Real World

Reggie seems inclined to give Erica the lead, since she's looking for "raw materials," as she describes it. After the first few minutes, though, it's obvious that Erica's going to be really taking her time. She pores over antique postcards in one stall, then takes equal care looking over, no kidding, a stall full of ancient doorknobs in all materials, shapes and sizes. It's cute but a little maddening.

Erica

Erica gives you and Reggie an apologetic grin. "Sorry, but a place like this is kinda like catnip for me. Should've warned you. If you want to wander at your own pace, just text me when you're ready to go." Her attention is clearly already drawn toward another stall, selling old advertising ephemera.

• Trevian
    "Reggie knows you well." I say as I take Reggie's hand. "Let's get some lunch around 12:30. There's a decent gyro place around the four hundreds. Meet us there? Or should I text you first?"

To Reggie, "Got anything cool you want to see? I know a place that does some kickass concrete pourings and sculptures."
  • The Real World

Reggie

"That sounds like good stuff. Let's hit there first, but I'd like to wander around a little, too, just see what's here? Maybe pick up something for my sister's birthday... it's in a few weeks."

You get to the concrete sculpture place, and the guy's really upped his game since the last time you swung by. Gargoyles, intricate foliage-themed Green Man "mask" bas-reliefs, all sorts of cool stuff. Pretty heavy to ship to Michigan, but Reggie notes a few things as possible decorations for the apartment. She's apparently a two-pass girl, checking off stall numbers in her "program" to return to later, once she's seen more.

She points out one in particular, a surprisingly delicate grouping of three old-school Victorian-style fairies clustered around a single honeysuckle flower. "Hard to believe you can do that with concrete."

• Trevian
    I move over to check it closer. "Wow, this is really cool. You want to grab it, Coops?" I glance back at her, smirk a little.
  • The Real World

Reggie

Reggie pauses, thoughtful, clearly pondering your newest attempt at a nickname. "That'll do, pig. That'll do." She looks back at the fairies. "I'll mark it down, but I don't think I want to commit until we've looked around more." She blows out a breath. "It's a thing. Never go for the first thing you see, until you see others that might be better. My Dad's influence." She gives your hand a squeeze. "You, of course, are clearly the best."

• Trevian
    I chuckle at her shopping strategy. "You have a strategy for everything, don't you? It's pretty amazing." I slip an arm around her as we leave the little stall, "It's fun to learn more about you."
  • The Real World

Reggie

Reggie gives you a quick grin and pulls you to another stall, with cut-copper lawn sculptures of funky birds and such. There's clearly nothing there that makes sense for her current living circumstances, but there's a sort of Seussian whimsy to the wares on offer. Her phone pings, and she takes a look and shows you a photo. "From Erica... she's at... anyway, look." The pic is the full set of "Top Ten" TSol action figures, unopened, with a sticky note attached that says $500.

• Trevian
    Wow. "That's crazy." I shake my head. "But it isn't the full set. They don't have a certain sexy elf."
  • The Real World

Reggie

"Meh... Sexy enough, but not crucial to the schtick, for the big-scale narrative. Ooh. Look! Jewelry!" She leads you to a stall with lots of cool necklaces, rings and bracelets made from found items, from mah-johng tiles, scrabble tiles, ancient typewriter keys, and the like. Something catches your eye, I think, doesn't it? Not a gift for someone else, but some bling that really appeals for you. What is it?

• Trevian
    "Not crucial to the schtick?" I ask incredulously as I follow her. "You're joking, right? Do you know how much I rely on you?"
  • The Real World

Reggie

Reggie gives you that lopsided grin. "I do know that, and I'm good with it, but Abby's the one that's on the scoreboard. Our complete set and TSol's complete set are a different thing." She picks up a necklace that has "GUD SPELER" spelled out in Scrabble tiles and chuckles.

• Trevian
    I shake my head at the Scrabble joke. Never been much for owning a thing that only tells one joke, but it's a sight gag. "Alright, that's fair. I just don't want the whole Top Ten thing to... you know, be a thing." I give her a mockingly serious look, say in a pretend voice of awe, "You... are the Top One." I can't hold it, though, and smirk a bit.
  • The Real World

Reggie

"I hope I'm your top one, at least. You're for sure mine." She waves a hand around the stall. "This stuff is fun, but a little one note for me. See anything you like, or do you want to move on?"

• edited January 2015
    Trevian
    "Nah, we can move on." I didn't think she was a tchotchke kind of girl, which is great. "Ooh, I know! Let's go look at all the ninja stars!" I take her arm and lead her excitedly to the stall with, as promised, ninja stars, katanas, ninja to, ancient Blue Rays of ninja movies, all kinds of crap.

"This used to be like crack for me." I lean over the glass display case and look at it.
  • The Real World

Reggie

"Looks like it's still a little crack-like now. Did you ever do any martial arts, or just watch?" She's looking over the gear, and picks up a katana-shaped bokken. "Hey, when things are less crazy, if they ever are, do you want to find a kendo dojo? I think that would be fun!"

• Trevian
    I watch her handle the bokken with skill and it's just another mark in my book of why she's frickin amazing. "I took some karate in elementary school. With Jake. Got to brown belt, then fell out when basketball season started up." I think about her kicking my butt like she did Toby's. "That sounds pretty cool, but I'm pretty sure it won't be a fair fight."

• The Real World

Reggie

Reggie chuckles. "Not now, maybe, but you've got that basketball footwork, plus weight and reach. I've only handled a sword a few times... You'd catch up faster than you think." She puts the bokken back and picks up another one, a gorgeous, slender weapon with no hand guard. She tests the balance. "I'm a total poser with weapons. I did a little staff work, but mostly just for balance. This is really beautiful, though." She approaches the stall's proprietor, a hefty man with a gray beard. "Excuse me. What wood is this made of?"

He smiles. "Best in the world for practice swords you're actually going to use, and pretty, to boot. Appalachian Hickory. I'll throw in a stand if you want to buy it."

Reggie turns to you. "Would it be ridiculous to pick this up? It's really beautiful, but I don't imagine I'll have time to actually use it any time soon..."

• Trevian
    Sweet!

"Only if you get a pair of them." I say. "I want to beat my girl with Appalachian Hickory. Only the finest wood will do." I grin like a little maniac.
  • The Real World

Reggie agrees readily, and the vendor helps you pick out a bokken in the same style, but a bit heavier. Even without experience you can tell that the balance is great, and you can barely suppress the urge to do your best imitation of a movie samurai in this rather crowded space.

Reggie pays for the bokken, and the vendor says he'll hold the swords and a double stand for you until you're ready to leave the flea market, since they'd be a bit much to carry around with you.

You've got about twenty minutes until gyro time when you come across a stall with some cool, chunky jewelry. Mostly semi-precious stones tumbled smooth and minimally worked. Reggie picks up a big red jasper brooch for her sister, one of those stones where the natural veins almost seem to make a picture. Do you see anything that catches your eye as something Tandy would dig?

• Trevian
    I find a set of earrings that have her birthstone. She's into stuff like that, so it should be a real score. I'm looking forward to gyros, I'm hungry. We make our way through the kid's playground area, which is mostly made of tired and crap. It's too cold for kids to play on it, really. So it looks like a piece of a Road Warrior set.

"How are you enjoying Erica's visit?" I ask casually, my breath coming out in a bit of steam in the cold.
  • The Real World

Reggie

"It's good to have her here, and last night was really fun, even before we got to the sexytimes. I think Erica's going to be part of our life for a long time, but we really only had a few days together." She shivers a little in her coat before you move back into the warmth, then gives you a look. "How about you?"

• Trevian
    I put an arm around her, for warmth. "I think she's really interesting. I love watching the two of you together, with or without the sexytimes. You seem to really connect with her. That makes me really happy." I kick a little random pine cone a bit, into a tiny bank of snow.
  • The Real World

Reggie

Reggie smiles, then nods her head toward the door. "Gyros soon? It seems like we just ate breakfast, but baby's hungry. Wonder what sort of junk Erica's picked up."

• Trevian
    "Yeah, gyro time." I agree. I notice she didn't at all deny that bit about Erica. "I'm sure she'll fill the trunk of her rental with ugly shit that she'll make into amazing art pieces."

As we head into the next building, I can smell the cooked meat. I'm salivating. "You ever think about PRD? What it'd be like to live there?"
  • edited January 2015

The Real World

This building is one of the complex's original outbuildings, from over a hundred years ago when tobacco was processed here. The brick has repointed to keep the mortar from crumbling, but the actual surface of the bricks still bears the signs of age and long hard use. The concessions stands are typical ugly convention-hall industrial, but local art and sculpture is scattered around, as well as a small historical exhibit about the history of tobacco in the area, and this facility in particular.

You see Erica looking at a surprisingly delicate sculpture of a female figure crafted from thick baling wire. The statue's obviously been left outside to rust at some point.

Erica

"That is a cool idea. Ready for tasty meat? Did you all find anything good?"

• Trevian
    "We found wooden swords!" I tell Erica with a bit of glee I'm not faking. "Coops is going to beat me senseless in kendo class. It's gonna be great. You?"
  • The Real World

Erica

"A flea market for me is like an all-you-can-shoot heroin buffet to Janis Joplin. So much crap, some small percentage of which will wind up as art, and a much larger percentage of which will wind up in Rubbermaid bins in my studio." You get in line for a tasty, tasty gyro before Erica seems to have fully parsed what you originally said. "Wooden swords? Like RenFair stuff?"

• Trevian
    I give her my patented "au contraire" look. "Bokken. Japanese practice swords. So... Asian-flavored RenFair stuff." I have no shame. I get paid to play a video game. Plus, my girlfriend is buying them.
  • The Real World

The line moves pretty quickly, and you're soon ordering. Chicken souvlaki for Erica, gyros for you and Reggie. Fries and extra tzatziki all 'round, and Reggie grabs a squeeze bottle of spicy harissa. You find a table with space and wind up sitting across from Reggie and Erica.

Erica

"Are you guys ready to roll after lunch? I could stay pretty much forever, so it's up to you when we leave."

• Trevian
    I give Reggie a look, like "I knew she could". " I'm pretty much done here. Coops, you got a plan for the afternoon? We could hit a museum, then head downtown for supper, catch a few local bands."
  • The Real World

Reggie

Reggie looks down at Erica's three huge shopping bags full of stuff. "Are you satisfied with your haul, if we do cut out after we eat?" When Erica gives a "Sure, why not?" shrug, Reggie turns to you. "You know what I've been wanting to check out? Carolina Tiger Rescue. It's like a half-hour drive to Pittsboro, right? We could go back and get your other girlfriend and take her for a spin out to see some wildcats!"

• edited January 2015
    Trevian
    I look to Erica, "My other girlfriend is electric." Then I break down into a little sing song, "It's electric! Boogie woogie woogie."

Once that's done, I nod, "Yeah, let's take the Tesla to see the wildcats."
  • The Real World

Erica

Erica and Reggie both chuckle, but Erica soon gives you a sober look. "Trev, you realize that there's a rule." She puts on a "quoting something important" voice. "Be it resolved that, having once referenced the Electric Slide in conversation, the referrer must then proceed to prove his or her worth by demonstrating the steps, or, in common parlance, 'busting a move.'"

Reggie

Reggie nods seriously. "Let's see it Trev. Right here, right now."

• Trevian
    Oh, that's ALL I needed, really. I hop up off the bench, scoot back a couple steps. "Hold up, it is tiiiime! For the Electric Slide!"

Then I break it down. slide, step, butt shake, humming the song to the chorus, then yelling out, "It's electric!" After a bit, I'll motion for them to join me, if they want.
  • The Real World

Erica and Reggie exchange glances, then get up and join in. People around the concessions area are definitely giving you looks, but a few seconds later one middle-aged black lady takes out her phone and flips around until she finds what she's looking for, then the actual song starts playing. She pumps up the volume and gets up to join you, putting the phone on your table.

Maybe it's the holiday season, maybe it's just something in the air, maybe it's just you, Trev, but by the time the song finishes there are at least a dozen people, if not more, dancing with you. Others have their phones out, recording the spectacle. At the end, there are smiles and laughter all around, and the lady that first pulled the song up on her phone gives you a big hug. "Sweetie, you must be crazy, but that was fun!"

• Trevian
    I hug her back. "Thanks for the music! I was missing a few words." I offer some high fives to other dancers, then put arms around Erica and Reggie, laugh and head to pick up our beloved bokken.
  • The Real World

You say your goodbyes, pick up the bokken, and head back to Reggie's to drop things off in the apartment and switch cars. The three of you relax for a minute before getting back on the road. Erica pulls a bottle of Cheerwine out of the fridge and looks at it with some puzzlement before shrugging and opening it.

Erica

She takes a taste. "Hmm. Weird, but good."

• Trevian
    "Oh yeah, Cheerwine is the forgotten legacy of the State of Franklin." I rattle off. It's not true, but it sounds cool to say.

How's Erica relating to us this afternoon, especially here in private? Seems like she's closer to Reggie. I'm watching to see if that's still true.
  • The Real World

Reggie

"Yeah, Cheerwine's new to me, but I've kinda gotten addicted."

How's Erica been? It's really more a question of how the three of you are making this dance work. Erica and Reggie seem to already share a lot of the steps, and neither of them appears to be self-conscious about it. Erica's open and independent, and she seems comfortable, but you get the sense that there are important stories she hasn't shared yet.

• Trevian
    Yeah, she does have some things she holds close. I wish I could help her open up. If she's going to be part of our lives, in this polyamory thing we're sliding into, then I'd like to know more about her. But how do you get there?

With guys, it's easy. Get them drunk and ask. Girls are smarter. Much smarter.

"You guys wanna head out, see some kitties?"
  • The Real World

Reggie

"Yes! I saw this place when I was looking into the Tri... how cool is it?"

Erica

Erica hops up and puts her bottle in the recycling. "To the Bat-Tesla!"

• Trevian
    I lead the way, talking as we go. Thankful for the indoor parking on a cold day like this. "Carolina Tiger Resuce's pretty great. All kinds of big cats. They do social events, too. Fund raisers like the Black Tie & Tails Ball."