[Shadowfate] Repeat Defender, Part Deux (5.2)

Comments

• imageJubilex

I'll leave the theft of Jessi's rum until after I get a chicken, or a rat, or something. Chicken seems best. Gross, but best.

I'll head down to see Varishka, she'd know where to go for this kind of stuff. Plus, I miss her. She's good people.
  • Variska is still puttering around in her shop when you get there, despite the late hour. She looks up from an old paper book when you enter and smiles. "Jubilex, it's a pleasure to see you, but I get the feeling this isn't a social call, from your face. What's happened?"

• imageJubilex

She's always so perceptive. "Lindo called upon Papa Legba for help. Eshu came instead." I let it sink in, then ask, "Can you get me an animal, live one, for a sacrifice? I need to contact Papa Legba. I've got great rum, an excellent cigar and a sharp knife. That's all that's left."
  • The old troll hisses a breath between her teeth when you mention Eshu, but quickly recovers. "This is a tricky thing, Jubilex. We'll want to give you every advantage. Umberto raises chickens mostly for the eggs, but he has a fine, pure-white rooster that I believe you can talk him out of. Papa Legba should be most pleased with the bird."

When was the last time you saw Umberto, Jubilex? Is he likely to be friendly toward you?

• imageJubilex

"Thanks for that, Varishka. I will go talk with him." I say with a thankful nod. I'll nose around the shop, if she's open. I want to give her some nuyen, but I have no idea what Lindo would want. After a bit, I say, "You know, Lindo's looking around for a protege. You know of anyone?"

Umberto and I were tight, back in the day, like high school. Then he introduced me to his younger sister Lupe, and we hit it off. Berto took exception to that. And what happened that night during summer break when Lupe and I hooked up.

That was maybe fifteen years ago. I'm sure it's blown over. Lupe's married, three kids, happy. Surely he's moved on, too.
  • Variska ponders your question while you poke around. "There's a young man, he rides with Los Lobos, but he's got a real spark. His name is Bautista, but they call him El Comodin, like the... jester? Joker in a deck of cards." She seems satisfied with her answer. "He is best choice, I think."

• imageJubilex

"I appreciate your advice, Varishka." I say with sincerity. "I'll go meet this Jester. He sounds like my kind of guy."
  • Variska gives you a grin that would be a bit terrifying if you didn't know her, and waves her hand in an "it's nothing" gesture. She starts the process of closing up the store, so I'm guessing you head out, right?

You know where Umberto lives, and have heard about the coops he keeps on the roof of his building. It's late, though. Well past midnight. You going to see if he's up, or wait until morning? Remember, too, that Matteo is supposed to be coming by at 7 AM sharp for training.

• imageJubilex

I sigh, tired and frustrated.

Morning is the wisest course. I wave goodbye to Varishka, then walk on back to my car. I consider going to Last Chance, but decide to head home. No reason to be tired and cranky when we start training. Best to let Matteo earn that during training. I can catch up with Umberto after that. Plus, I can legitimately ask for the rum from Jessi in the morning instead of stealing it.

This plan is an excellent plan. Bed, then train, then chicken and rum.
  • edited June 2015

You return to your apartment and slip back under the covers with Jessi. It seems like minutes later that your alarm wakes you in advance of Matteo's anticipated 7 AM arrival. Do you have a particular plan for Matteo and Malin today, professor?

• imageJubilex

The plan is calisthenics for an hour, enough to get the blood pumping and hear them whine. Then, CQC. I'll train them both for a half hour, then have them spar for a half hour.

I expect she'll kick his ass.
  • Matteo is glum at first, a touch resentful, but he shows up on time and Malin's relentless enthusiasm go a great deal of the way toward helping with his attitude during the opening exercise session.

When you get to CQC, though, the disparity between Malin's skill and Matteo's makes him grumpy again. (Malin has had the benefit of several weeks of attention from you, plus the advantage of having been in the field, even if she's not getting into the thick of things, physically.) It doesn't seem like Matteo has problems with getting shown up by a dwarf, or by a girl, it's just that he really doesn't like getting shown up, period. He's clearly going to get his ass handed to him when it comes to sparring.

Let's see how badly Matteo gets whooped. Why don't you give me a Fight roll to Overcome Matteo's lack of experience, against a static difficulty of Good (+3). Any success will mean that he doesn't get utterly humiliated. A success with style will mean that he actually feels good about something that happens during the sparring session with Malin.

• imageJubilex

Fight Instructor:
    (Rolled: 4df+5. Total: 6. Rolls: 0, -, +, +)
  • edited June 2015

Tell me, Jubilex, what is that moment that Matteo is smiling about on the way home, despite a slight limp and obvious soreness in his right shoulder?

• imageJubilex

I taught him a reversal, a simple trick you can use to catch a strike and turn with it. He tossed Malin a few feet. She landed well enough, but she let out this surprised whoop that made him grin from ear to ear.
  • I think chicken was next on your list, right? You know where Umberto's little rooftop poultry operation is, even if you haven't seen him in a while. Probably even eaten some of his eggs, right? So, let's see how this goes. Berto's apartment is on the top floor of an eight-story walkup, and it's late to be tending to the chickens for the moment, so he's there when you knock.

Your old "friend" gives you a surprised look when he opens the door. "Benny? What's up?" He doesn't quite seem hostile, but he's definitely closed off.

• imageJubilex

I hang back, offer him a pleasant nod, but don't move like I expect him to invite me in. "Umberto, man, how are you? Listen, I need to buy a chicken off you, a fine rooster. Your best."
  • Umberto's look is still closed off. "Don't sell roosters, ese, I sell eggs. You want a dozen eggs?"

• imageJubilex

I shake my head, still smiling. "Come on, Umberto, this is life and death drek. We need to do some magic for a very good friend. I need to sacrifice a live rooster, and I know you've got the best one in the barrio. Maybe in the entire city." I hold up a credstick. Everyone has a price.
  • Berto shakes his head, but your mention of life and death seems to bring him around some. "Drek, ese. Someone in trouble, you said? Listen, if you want a rooster, I can sell you one of the other two, but Don Diego, he's special. He keeps order, you know? And when I want a breeding run, he's a stone cold stud." He sighs. "Still, that's why he'd make the best sacrifice, I suppose. A good friend?"

• imageJubilex

"A good friend. A father, and a grandfather, who was trying to help save some people from a fraggin' toxic spirit. I've got to try to talk with," I pause, because the thought of this is not the most fun thing in the world, "Papa Legba. Try to help him out. I can pay good creds, ese. I need the best."
  • "I can't screw you over something important, Bennie. I can get a new rooster shipped in for a couple hundred NuYen. Let's say you give me 300, and promise you won't screw up and make Don Diego suffer?" He pauses, looking at you thoughtfully. "Stupid that we haven't talked all this time, isn't it? Why don't we grab a drink someday." He shoots you his contact info, then indicates the stairs to the roof. "C'mon, we'll go get Don Diego." Umberto leads the way.

• imageJubilex

I let out a breath before I nod. "Thanks, Umberto. Three hundred is fair, and yes, I'll owe you a few beers and maybe a story." I follow him to the roof. I hope he has a cage. I have never held a rooster before.
  • As soon as Umberto opens the door to the roof, you hear a sound that's distinct and obvious to you, even though you've likely never heard it "in person" before. The "bwoks" and "clucks" and flapping wings and pecking combine with the smell (not too strong, there's a breeze today) to simply shout "chickens" to you. There are a few dozen strutting and pecking their way around a decent sized pen, big enough not to crowd them at all. As Umberto smiles proudly, you immediately pick out what must be Don Diego.

This is him:

He's a proud fellow, head cocked and looking at the two of you as if deciding whether to let you live. Umberto asks, "Isn't he something? I can get you a cage, but you'll have to pull him out, in the end."

• imageJubilex

He is something.

There's a tiny hitch in my voice when I admit, "Hey, Umberto. I've never, ah, handled a rooster before. Got any tips?" I'll follow his instructions, and yeah, I'll get a cage. Don't want to walk around the barrio holding a rooster in my arms. I can see the jokes.
  • Apparently, Umberto doesn't even see the humor in the situation, he's so used to the birds. He opens the pen, holding a cage in his right hand, and walks right up to Don Diego. "Watch how I do this. This'll be how you want to take him out of the cage, when you're ready. Just trimmed his spurs the other night, so you don't have to worry about that, at least." He puts the cage down, opens it, and then squats in front of the rooster. Berto pushes on the bird's chest so that it sort of "sits down", then scoops it under his arm like a football, with the feet dangling in front. Then he just shoves it feet-first into the cage before closing the door.

Leaving the pen, he hands you the cage, and once you take it he bends down to look at the bird. "You're a good rooster, Don Diego. And you're helping someone."

• imageJubilex

I feel like drek now. I officially feel like complete drek.

"Umberto, this means so much to me." I take the cage, committing to memory the weird position I need to use for the football-bird. "I really owe you, man." If he's got nothing else, I should get this ritual going. I'll head off the roof, shoot Jessi a message with my Pocket Secretary asking her about the rum, then call Marie-Rose.
  • Umberto doesn't have much else, except to reiterate that you should get together soon. Jessi quickly responds that she's already at the club, in the office, but she'll meet you back at your place with the rum. Marie-Rose says she's going to look for a few music files to "help with the mood" and call you back in ten minutes with instructions.

It's all coming together. What worries you most here, Jubilex?

• imageJubilex

That rooster. It keeps looking at me like I'm prey. I am not afraid of killing it, but I know those things are fast, I've seen Rocky. I hope I don't frag up this ritual because of him.
  • You're set up on the roof of your building, following Marie-Rose's direction, with her voice in your ear. Variska insisted on waiting downstairs in your apartment, despite your protests, so you've got some backup. The cigar is lit, the rum is poured. All that's left is the sacrifice. Without your existing connection with Papa Legba, Marie-Rose said, this would be much more difficult. But you've got her in your ear, reminding you of the unfamiliar syllables you need to speak, and there's just the fragging rooster left to go. He looks at you through the cage with those empty bird-eyes. He's ready for whatever you've got, Jubilex.

The knife is right there, and you've got a perfect cock ready to be cut. Sorry, rooster. He's not a pushover, though, and it seems the bird senses that something is up. This is an Athletics roll to Overcome. You'll definitely kill the thing, mind you. If you hit a +3, then you don't get too messy yourself. If you hit a +5, you'll be able to tell Umberto it was clean and quick, and mean it. Beyond +5, Papa Legba will give you some extra respect.

• imageJubilex

I try the football thing, talk to Don Diego calm, see if that works.

It doesn't.

So I hold him firm, with respect, and try to make this quick and painless. I can do this.

Athletics:
    (Rolled: 4df+3. Total: 3. Rolls: -, -, +, +)
  • imageJubilex

A Hero of the Barrio like me needs to do this right. I don't want Umberto to be upset, so I'm spending a FP to increase that to a +5.

I'd love something extra from Papa Legba for me, but I need to hold my reserves for Lindo's sake.
  • You'll be able to face Umberto with no shame. Don Diego dies quickly and with hardly a squawk. After laying him on the makeshift altar as Marie-Rose instructed you, and follow the rest of the her instructions, lighting the cigar and pouring a healthy shot of rum into a clean glass, set beside a mug of strong coffee. You start this haunting chant playing through the wireless speakers you carted up with you.

As the chant ends, you call out the words you memorized.

Papa Legba!

Papa Legba open the gate for me.
    Antibon Legba please open the gate.
    Legba open the gate for me and I will thank
    the lwa when I return.

Tell me, is there anyone up here watching your back, Jube?

• edited June 2015
    imageJubilex

Well... Malin does live with me. I didn't ask her, not exactly.
  • What Malin Sees

After you call Papa Legba, there is a brief, humid wind and the smell of coconut and some fruit she's never smelled. Your appearance changes to her. You seem taller, darker, and a tophat and night-black suit replaces your clothes. In one hand is a shining ebony cane, while the other reaches out for the rum and brings it to your mouth. Around your neck, a necklace of skulls and ancient-seeming keys. You start talking to yourself in alternating Creole and English, and she quickly brings a translator on line so she can understand.

You are standing in a clearing between palm trees, sun beating down. You are at the crossroads between two dirt tracks, and Papa Legba stands in front of you. In that preternaturally resonant voice, he says, "What is it you want? I haven't called on you yet to pay your debt, my fine horse."

• imageJubilex

Yeah, figured he'd bring that up. "Lindo, your loyal horse and servant, called your name last night. But Eshu came instead, and took him from us. I need your help, Papa Legba. I need to find my friend, get him home for his kids, and their kids. Help him resume his duty serving you, too."
  • Papa Legba narrows his eyes. "Eshu is me, and yet not me, fils bien-aimé. I cannot intervene directly, but for Lindo I will give advice and open the way for you to bargain with him directly. Is that what you wish?"

• imageJubilex

Well, there went the slim hope that I could pit one loa against another. Or himself.

I nod, "Yes, Papa Legba. That's what I wish." And now, here comes the cost.
  • After your acceptance, there's no negotiation, nor cost. There's simply a doorway. Aged, with faded red (almost pink) and white paint peeling. The knob is milky glass. Papa Legba simply nods toward it, at the very center of this crossroads, and raises an eyebrow.

What do you do?

• imageJubilex

I know I'll regret asking, but I have to ask, "Am I going to end up on the other side of the world this time, Papa Legba?" I'll go, regardless.
  • Papa Legba laughs, deep and rich and musical. "I suppose that depends on the deal you make, fils. Open the door and keep this in mind. Eshu is as tricky as I am, but always looking for a way to twist things to his advantage. Whatever he asks or offers, refuse it the first time. And the second. The third offer will be where you need to negotiate. Before that, you just say no. No matter what."

• imageJubilex

I listen close, and nod. This is important stuff, life saving, maybe. "Thank you, Papa Legba. Thank you." I look at the doorway for a moment, study the old paint. Then, I head through it.
  • You step through the door and find yourself at the same crossroads, but facing the being you know as Eshu. He looks at you with a sly, cruel grin, like a cat realizing that a mouse is about to walk into its jaws.

His voice is as rich as Legba's, but with a certain threat in the tone. "Well, what brings you here, I wonder? Here to beg for a boon, I hope. Do you want to be the best guitarist in the world? Looking for the love of a woman? Hmmm?"

• imageJubilex

I force myself to relax even though my nerves are on edge. I don't like this guy, god, whatever. "I'm looking for Lindo, Eshu." I answer as plain as I can manage. I don't want to start a fight, don't want to show an opening.
  • If possible, Eshu's grin widens even more. "Ah. Legba's pet, is it? He means something to you, does he?" Eshu looks you up and down. "You can have him, then."

• imageJubilex

"No, no." I say, polite but firm. "That's too easy. What's the catch?"
  • That grin slips and you see a flash of anger in the Orisha's eyes. "Very well. If you will not leave the obligation unspoken, then I will speak it. I will give you your Lindo in exchange for a favor, at my pleasure."

• imageJubilex

"A favor?" I counter, trying to seem interested but not quite sure. "No, I can't offer a blank check to one as clever as you. I want to save Lindo, but he has lived for a long time and I haven't."
  • edited June 2015

Eshu's grin becomes sly. "Very well, then, mortal. You are... resourceful. I have been walking these roads long and long, and it is time for me to ride. You will bring me a mount."

• edited June 2015
    imageJubilex

"A mount?" I ask earnestly. "Like how Papa Legba calls Lindo a horse?" I'm curious what he'd want from a mount, a name pops to my mind already, Aoifa. A trickster would enjoy a ride with her. This is the third offer, so I'm negotiating.
  • He laughs, deep, from the belly. "No, no. I want you to bring me an actual horse. A certain one. A mare as white as the wave's froth, named Bánscamall, kept by the Sinsearach, near what you call Mount Rainier."

• imageJubilex

"Fetch a real live horse?" I ask, incredulous. I did not see this coming. "How would I even know which one is the... Banscamall? Where would I take it?"
  • "I suppose that you'll have to figure out which one she is, but it should be easy enough. As far as delivery, take this." He throws his hand out in a tossing gesture, and a miniature version of his cane flies through the air. "Break that when you've got the horse out of the elves' territory, and I'll come for her."

• edited June 2015
    imageJubilex

I tilt my head to the side, "Elven woods? With my best man down? That's one hell of a run. Give me Lindo back for this, yeah?"
  • The being ponders, squinting at you. Finally, he nods. "You can have him, but if I don't get the mare by sundown three days from now, I will take him back and there will be no more bargains." He holds a hand out for you to shake. "Do we have a deal?"

• imageJubilex

Three days? That's tight. I'll need him. "Return him to me whole and ready to go, right?" If he agrees to that, I'll shake his hand.
  • Eshu's eyes flash again dangerously when you push him like that, but he says, "Fine. I want that horse more than I want your broken-down shaman, anyway." When you shake his hand, you find yourself once more aware of being on your roof, the skyline of Detroit surrounding you, Malin blinking in the afternoon sunlight.

imageMalin

Malin focuses behind you and exclaims, "Lindo!"

• imageJubilex

I turn where she's looking, starting moving. I expect to see Lindo. I hope to see him in good shape.
  • imageLindo

When you spin around, Lindo is standing in front of you, leaning jauntily on his cane. Wait, jauntily? His wrinkles seem a bit less pronounced, too, and the look of suppressed pain that has tightened his eyes for the last few years is gone, or at least only a shadow of a ghost of itself.

He blinks, eyes a bit haunted, if not squinted against pain. "Jubilex? What did you do?"

• imageJubilex

No words. No words until I cross the small distance separating us and hug the man. Then I move back to gesture to Malin, welcoming her in, too.

Once that's settled, I answer, "Eshu came when you called for Papa Legba. You both destroyed the toxic spirits. I cut a deal with him to get you a temporary reprieve, which we can make permanent as long as we find him a horse, an actual horse, near Mount Rainier. We have very little time."
  • imageLindo

Lindo frowns, and you see that his eyebrows are a little less gray than they were. "I know that Eshu came, and that the toxic spirits were taken care of, but a horse? What horse? And in Salish-Shidhe territory?"

• imageJubilex

I nod, "Yes. Named Bánscamall. He said we'd know when we saw her. A mare as white as the wave's froth." I quote Eshu. It was a memorable quote.
  • edited June 2015

imageLindo

Lindo blows out a breath. "Steal a horse? From the elves?" He pauses to consider. "An actual horse is pretty... ironic. Do you have a plan?"

• imageJubilex

"Well, we have an elf on staff, if I recall." I remark idly, ushering them towards the stairs back down. "I don't have a plan, yet, but we can make one as we travel."

I cue up Nizoni and Mat on my pocket secretary:
    Hey, got Lindo back, but we have to go to Salish-Shidhe to keep him here, to get a horse. We have a couple days to do this, can't mess it up.

Then, a quick note to Aoife:
    I need to go to Salish-Shidhe to steal something. Any advice?
  • The team snaps into gear. Mat says he'll take care of reservations to Seattle ASAP, Nizoni starts calling her NAN contacts for information, Malin arranges to ride along on the feed from a few satellites to give you aerial surveillance capability, even as you head down the stairs. Speaking of stairs, Lindo takes them with greater ease than you've seen in a long time, and at one point he even stops, puzzled, and looks down at his knees.

From: Aoife To: Jubilex Which part? I know a few people. What are you stealing?
  • imageJubilex

Reply to Aoife:
    Mount Rainier. A white mare.
  • imageAoife

An icon appears in your HUD. Call from Aoife. I'm assuming you answer it? If so, her face pops up, and she makes a little pout. "Why are you still using that ancient thing, ah, Jubilex? Anyway, I'll see what I can find out and get back to you. Wait, did you say 'white mare'? You're going into Sinsearach territory and stealing one of their special horses? Well, that should be fun for you."

• imageJubilex

I smile as we come out to our floor, answering, "That ancient thing doesn't distract me with your pretty face. The white mare's name is Bánscamall. What's special about them?"
  • imageAoife

She looks up and to the left, clearly thinking about how to explain. "I'm a little fuzzy on the details, okay? Never spent much time in Salish-Shidhe, or NAN in general. But I think you could say they're holding them for someone? Rhiannon, specifically, who is either an immortal elf that hasn't shown her face yet or... a goddess?"

• imageJubilex

"Oh. Drek." I say, and there's the catch. "Hey, is Queen Lili... you know, divine at all?" Maybe she could help?
  • imageAoife

Aoife practically purrs. "She's divine, alright, but not an actual goddess. There are pretty persistent rumors that she's an immortal elf, though. Not sure how much stock to place in them—that happens with celebrities, especially the ones that don't act like idiots."

• imageJubilex

"Thanks for your help, Aoife." If she's done, I'm done.

I wonder if Jessi would mind if I butted in with her visit to Queen Lili? For this horse thing. I can scoot out early, don't want to ruin her fun.
  • Aoife's done, but you get the sense that she's intrigued. Excited, interested, happy that you asked for her advice about this run. This run.

imageMalin

Once back in the apartment, Malin has a moment to really process, and says, "Lindo, where were you?"

imageLindo

Lindo leans up on the arm of a chair. He looks at Malin, then you. "Hell if I know, chere, hell if I know, but it's far better to be here." He seems to expect that conversation to end with that. "So, we're stealing a horse from some elves to keep me on this side of the astral? Sorry to put you to that risk." His face is sad, maybe even frightened, but determined.

• imageJubilex

I smile at Lindo, "Wherever it was, looks like it took a decade off you. And don't worry about the trouble. I owe you plenty times over. Let's just do the job right."
  • imageLindo

There's a look in his eyes that's haunted, despite the otherwise-rejuvenated sense you have from his face. "Yeah, let's do this!" That was totally an unconvincing cheerleader impression, btw.

imageMalin

Malin lets you know that the satellite cams are on-line, and Mat asks over your wi-fi when you want reservations for. There are several direct flights to Seattle each day.

• imageJubilex

I won't challenge him, not here, not now. I wonder what hellish otherplace he was in. I ask Mat to schedule us on a red eye. I explain, "I've got some inquiries to make, and I want to hear if Nizoni finds anything more. Pack up. And Lindo, call your family, let them know you're back."

I'll get Malin moving, then hang back to talk with Lindo privately, "My old friend, I've got someone I want you to meet. I think he'd be a great pupil for you. Someone you can teach, so you can explore that retirement to consultant option Marcus Wellby has."
  • imageLindo

Lindo nods slowly. "I'd be happy to meet him, see what kind of potential he has. And Jubilex... thank you. You took a big risk for an old man."

What's next on the agenda, Jube?

• imageJubilex

"I know you'd do the same for me." I answer solidly. Then, to put some levity, "Also, I need someone to pilot this retirement plan..."

As long as the team is feeding me intel as they get it, I'll head over to see Jessi, let her know what's up with this sudden trip to Salish-Shidhe.
  • As far as you know, Jessi will still be in the office at the club. It's mid-afternoon. Her appointment to drop the dress off with Lili is a few hours off.

When you arrive at Banana Peelz, Chuck Chuck is on the bar as usual, and Langley is sitting at a high-top table nearby, looking at some paperwork. She looks up when you walk in, and the two of them say "Hoi." nearly in unison, then grin.

Langley gives you a wink, and a few of the afternoon regulars wave. Chuck Chuck asks, "Want a drink, or just here to distract the boss?"

• imageJubilex

I give them both a nod. "I'll take a drink. Then distract your boss."
  • Chuck Chuck mixes you up a top-shelf Tequila Sunrise, using a spoon to guide the grenadine down the side of the glass so it layers perfectly, looking like an abstract painting of dawn in the tropics. He briefly passes an orange slice over the flame of a lighter, adds a cherry, and garnishes the glass, then hands it to you with a flourish. "There you go, chummer."

Langley glances over. "You know, if that had something other than tequila in it, it would totally be girly."

• imageJubilex

I take a moment to admire the artistry of Chuck Chuck's work before I respond to Langley. I give him an appreciative nod, then look to Langley, "Next thing you're going to tell me is that I shouldn't have an umbrella in it." I take a nice, long drink of this excellent concoction.
  • Chuck Chuck gives you a tusky ork smile when you hold the drink up for appreciation, and spares a glare for Langley when she questions your "usual." Nevertheless he watches as you take your first sip, looking forward to seeing your "yummy" smile. I assume that's a genuine one. Fresh-squeezed OJ, top-shelf tequila, grenadine that's actually made from pomegranates, the way it's supposed to be... it's a fragging good Tequila Sunrise.

• imageJubilex

After that starter drink, I tap the bar, look at Chuck Chuck, "Top shelf, Chuck Chuck. I tell you, best sunrise in town."
  • Chuck Chuck nods. "Yup. I'm a fragging national treasure." Langley snorts but otherwise says nothing.

You get a ping from Mat that you're booked on a flight for Seattle, leaving at 12:30 AM and arriving just before 6:00. He's already arranged for a van and a horse trailer to be waiting for you. Nizoni and Malin are working together on a briefing.

• imageJubilex

I chat with them both, drain my glass before I head into Jessi's office to speak with her. It's a nice quiet moment with two regular barrio folk. I like Langley and Chuck Chuck. Jessi has surrounded herself with good folks.
  • You have a couple nice minutes of chatting with Jessi's employees, then head back to her office. She gets to her feet after you knock on the jamb of the open door and comes around the desk to collect a quick hug and kiss. There's a dress bag hanging from the coatrack.

imageJessi

"I'm glad you stopped by. I've been watching demo reels and this latest crop is really fragging bad. You would not believe how bad." She steps back to sort of perch on the desk.

• imageJubilex

I can practically feel her anxiety when I enter, she's so worked up about tonight. I enjoy the kiss. These lips touching mine might be on Lili's soon. Mmmn

When she complains about the latest crop, I inquire in a dead monotone, "How bad are they?" as if I'm an audience waiting for a one liner. Then, I wait to see if she'll take the bait.
  • imageJessi

Jessi winks at you. "Seriously, these jokes are so bad that one of these guys slapped himself afterwards." She shakes her head. "Who tells troll/dwarf sexual position jokes anymore?"

• imageJubilex

That gets a chuckle, "Sorry, Jess, that sounds awful." I step in closer, hand on her hip, looking down at her, "I wanted to let you know we got Lindo back, but I have to do a run to make it permanent."
  • imageJessi

Jessi smiles, but seems a bit confused. "I'm really glad you got him back, I like Lindo a lot. But what do you mean 'make it permanent'?"

• imageJubilex

I slide in closer, my mouth moving to her neck, my hand sliding to her back, "He was captured by a trickster spirit. I bartered for three days with him now. As long as I deliver something to the spirit, then it will be permanent." I nibble at her neck playfully, but I'm not trying to actually frag here. I want her keyed up for Lili.

Heh, I play dirty.
  • imageJessi

Jessi sighs a little as you hit the sweet spot on her neck, then backs you up, staying close, until she's within range to reach a foot past you and kick the door closed. Once it is, she turns her head up to whisper in your ear. "I think I'm going to have a good story for you when you get back, Benicio." Then, in a more normal voice, she explains. "Lili pinged me a half hour ago and said she wants to take me out to dinner. The kaiseki at Nigiri."

No one is entirely certain why one of the best Japanese restaurants outside of Japan came to be located in the PRD, but those that can afford it are grateful, regardless. No one has ever actually seen the chef, because diners are seated in small private rooms and served the formal, many-course kaiseki menu by exquisitely trained servers. The mystery is part of the experience.

Also part of the experience is that dinner costs roughly the GDP of a small country.

• imageJubilex

That gets an appreciative smile, "You don't say? I think someone is getting lucky tonight." I kiss her again. There's no way I'm ruining this one. If Lili herself was an Immortal, I wouldn't barge in on this epic date. "I want you to have an amazing time, Jessi. I want your mind blown. And I want a blow by blow detail of your encounter."
  • imageJessi

Jessi purrs, pretty much literally. "I'm glad you're okay with this, Benny. I mean, I know it's always been a sort of unstated thing between us, and it's not the first time either of us have, ah, enjoyed the company of others? Since we've been dating, but..." She reaches her hand down to gently massage your crotch. "...I really want this. Thank you." She pulls her head back to give you that quirky smile and a raised eyebrow. That hand on your junk is definitely an invitation for something, but it seems it's more of a "thank you present" than a thing she wants, right now.

• imageJubilex

"You owe me deets." I say as I kiss her forehead, then disentangle myself from her. "And do not. Do NOT chicken out, Jessi."
  • imageJessi

Jessi gives you one of her signature winks. "Part of the deal, lover. I will give you the full play-by-play. You just come back to me safe, okay? I want to tell you the story and then frag you until you can't move for a week. Okay, a day. Until you can't move for an appropriate period of time. I don't know, what seems like a good duration?" She's nervous, that's clear. But sincere.

• imageJubilex

I see the nerves, so I get close and put my hands on her shoulders, look her in the eye and will some of my confidence into her, "She has made it abundantly clear that she's interested. She invited you to the most posh restaurant in the PRD. You are going to have the most amazing time. All you need to bring is you. The wonderful, vibrant you. Go, have fun. No pressure. If it ends up being an amazing date, or just an amazing meal, you still owe me the same thing. A story." I lean in to kiss her cheek, squeeze her shoulders again lightly and smile.
  • imageJessi

Jessi gives you a return smile, still that quirky lopsided one, but a bit more focused. "Benicio, I kinda love you, you know?" Her brow furrows. "Oh, speaking of... well, nothing, I got in touch with Diego's cousin about the market. He seemed scared? I don't get that."

• imageJubilex

Her love admission is a bit unexpected, it isn't the talk we normally have, and when we do, it's normally during the throes of passion. I don't want to break the mood by drawing it out, but that felt nice. The transition to our partnership is jarring, but a welcome distraction. I purse my lips in thought about Diego's cousin. "Scared? I wonder if someone's trying to get the property, too? Can you have some of your dad's people look into it? I'm sort of tied up with this run. Find out who is after Diego's old store. Besides us."