[Shadowfate] Repeat Defender, Part Deux (5.2)

Comments

• imageJessi

Jessi nods. "I'll call one of daddy's money people, see what they can dig up."

Anything else to do here, Jube?

• imageJubilex

Nothing more here. I need to chat with Nizoni. I'll ring her, then go wherever she is. Wherever that is.
  • Nizoni is at the Wellby Cave, along with the rest of the team, actually, which makes things simple. When you arrive, everyone's working hard at something, in their own way. (Most of those ways are a bit mysterious to you.)

• imageJubilex

I head over to Nizoni, grab a seat next to her. It isn't my really nice chair, but it's close. "Hey chica, how are you feeling?"
  • imageNizoni

Niz grunts. "I'm patched up. Hurts, but we live in the future, right? I'll be good to go by the time we land." She'll be eighty-five percent at best, if you read her expression and tone right, but eighty-five percent of Nizoni is still pretty darned good. She continues. "So, how's tricks with you?" The elf makes a face. "Did that work? I'm trying to be better at connecting."

• imageJubilex

I give her an approving look, "That was super, Niz. But hey, we're already connected, right? There's nobody I'd want to go into a firefight with more than you.... unless you're on the other end of the firefight, of course."

Normally, I don't touch Nizoni. I used to worry I'd pull back a stump. But for some reason, I put a hand on her shoulder, "You know you're one of my best friends, Niz. If you ever want to chat or whatever, I'm at your disposal." Is the pain making her second guess? Is she... lonely?
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni gives you a look, like she's about to say something, but instead just nods. "Might take you up on that someday. Not today, though." She collects her thoughts. "So... this run is going to be a challenge. This Rhiannon cult or whatever it is? They're pretty serious. Also a little backward, though, so that will help some."

• imageJubilex

"Maybe we dress you up with some fairy wings, and you tell them you're her?" I ask with a grin, trying to get a rise out of her. "I think you're pretty immortal. Except for the lack of immunity to bullets."
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni snorts. "With my luck, we'd run into someone I went to nursery school with and blow the whole game." She shares a satellite image with you of the area around Mount Rainier, then zooms in on a spread that covers several acres. You can make out a barn, a set of stables, and what looks to be a large house with several smaller buildings around it.

"I called in a few markers to get some information. About a dozen people live on the compound full-time, with others coming and going, but making a living away from the farm. There are a dozen breeding mares and two stallions. At the moment, there are two horses in the 'save for Rhiannon' category: the mare we're going for, and a two year-old colt."

• imageJubilex

"I really don't want to gun down some peaceful horse breeders. Know a way we can wrangle without violence?"
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni looks thoughtful for a moment. "I've been thinking about that. They're probably crazy enough to put up the kind of defense that would get them killed. If we had someone that could go in and pretend to be a potential convert, maybe?"

• imageJubilex

Now that is a mighty nice plan. I cock my head and look at her curiously, "I think this is an elf-only thing, right? Are you... volunteering?"
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni almost looks scared. "I can't act for drek, Jube. I would make a fragging mess of it." You know you can probably find a way to convince her, mind you, but she's not kidding. She really can't act for drek.

• imageJubilex

I squeeze her shoulder a little, "I'll coach you. Mat can set up a drone and I'll talk you through it. You'll be the face and the body, I'll make you smooth."
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni swallows, opens her mouth, closes it, then nods. "I did this to myself, didn't I? I had to say something." Still, she'll do it.

Between Malin and the work Nizoni has already done, you've got a pretty complete briefing. You have the complete layout of the farm, details on the people that live there, even a rough day-to-day schedule. It's enough for you to start working on Nizoni's acting lessons, for sure.

What sort of drone are you asking Mat for, in particular, Jube?

• edited June 2015
    imageJubilex

"Yes, you stepped in it, Niz." I say with a little chuckle. "But I'll be there, we all will. You don't have to be a great actress, just need to pull off one part. We'll even make her act mostly like you."

I'll start talking through the part with her, figuring out where to seed in lies about joining the cult with the truth of who she is. Bonus, I get to ask her questions. "Okay, Nizoni, how did you end up in the PRD? Were you raised in NAN?"

I'm looking for something whisper quiet with long-range cams and hearing. Not a gunship, just something to give me bird's eye of the place so I can help Nizoni. I'll be there, too, of course.
  • imageNizoni

Niz doesn't much talk about herself. Your questions certainly don't put her at ease, but they do take her mind off the "acting". "Ah. I grew up in Albuquerque, in the Pueblo Corporate Council. Lost my parents pretty young, and left young, too, because I'm not built for corp life and Pueblo is really one big corp. Started wandering around the UCAS. PRD was supposed to be just a stop along the way, but I wound up staying."

• imageJubilex

I see her calming, a bit, try to keep it going, "Why did you end up staying? Who taught you to move like you do?"
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni looks at you like you might be a bit simple. "You. You and Circe are why I stayed." She doesn't say anything about who taught her. Maybe she's hoping you'll forget you asked?

• imageJubilex

Circe and me? Not the credits, not the food or the culture or the barrio...

That makes me smile. Amid all the stress of pulling off this run, going into a sticky situation with her is something I don't mind one bit.

"I'm glad you did, Nizoni." I reply after a moment. It's a moment. We totally have a moment. Weird.

I smirk, then ask again, "Who taught you how to be so sneaky, Niz? A ninja clan?"
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni looks at you with her mismatched eyes, face once again the impassive mask you're most accustomed to seeing. "Not on offer right now, Jube. That story, I mean. Let's move on."

• imageJubilex

A sigh of resignation, but not frustration. I remove my hand from her shoulder and let that moment pass. It was a nice one. "Sure. No static, Nizoni. I should check in with Mat on the drone anyway." I'll head over to do just that.
  • imageMat

Mat sees you coming. Before you even get to his workspace, he stands up. "Full suite ready to follow Niz in. Dragonfly, beetle, even some housefly models I just picked up. Unless they're hardened against us, we should be good. Malin can help integrate. I'll put a couple bigger models up above, to track from the air. Niz will have distinctly PRD isotopes, for about 18 hours after we leave, which will help with that."

You notice that the Hum is particularly loud right now. Driving through to your underground Wellby-Cave, which is normally a refuge from that. Digging into your eardrums, thumm-thumm-thumm.

• imageJubilex

"Tracking by... isotope?" I repeat Mat. "That's pretty damn wiz, Mat." I stop, look towards the general direction of the harbor. "Any idea what's up with the Hum today?"
  • imageMat

Mat shrugs. "Who can tell? I wonder how much politicians and such have spent over the years trying to figure out that damned Hum. Someone told me once it's been around since before the Awakening, only it used to be that only people on the Windsor side of the river could hear it."

• imageJubilex

I shrug, because what else can you do? "I bet it's driving Grbek crazy." Nothing I can do for right now, though. "Are you ready to roll out, Mat?" If he is, I'll check in with Malin, and then the old man.
  • imageMat

Mat nods. "Bag's packed, ready to go. Question though... has anyone on the crew ever dealt with a horse? I haven't."

• imageJubilex

"I went riding a couple times on vacation once." I admit. "But nothing like experience." I look to everyone else, "Any horse experts among you?"
  • Dead silence. Mat and Malin both simply shrug, and Lindo, who walked in just in time to hear the question, chuckles.

imageNizoni

Looking miserable, Nizoni reluctantly raises her hand. "I can ride."

• imageJubilex

"That makes you the expert yet again, Nizoni." I say with a grin. "It's like this run was designed to show off your many hidden talents."

If everyone's ready, we can start running through some sims, looking at topical maps and readings and charting out who goes where and the cover story. We've got a bit of time before the flight out and I want to run things through with them.
  • Sims go well. Mat's got additional high-alt drones prepped to give you dedicated comms if something interrupts the wireless world. He'll be waiting with the horse-trailer just far enough from the most likely exfil point to avoid detection, with Malin riding shotgun since she can pretty much do this from anywhere if it goes well, or has to be within close but not immediate range if something does happen to the wifi. Lindo is a special case. You don't know what kind of juju these elves might have, really... He'll be close by the edge of the property with you, ready to send his dog in if needed, or breach the fence with you, if that's what's called for.

By the time you need to leave for the airport, you've run a lot of scenarios, and the team, with the exception of Nizoni, seems comfortable.

imageNizoni

Nizoni, on the other hand, is on edge. I mean, she always is, to an extent, but this isn't the usual watchful, wary, paranoia. You haven't seen her like this, ever, but the look in her eyes? Reminds you of the night you all had visions and yours told you Circe was alive.

• imageJubilex

I give approving nods and congratulations at the prep, making sure everyone's feeling comfy with the plan, but flexible enough to move around with it, if we need to adjust on site.

That look from Nizoni, I want to find some time during travel to talk with her privately. I need to pry a bit. Otherwise, I'm just heading for a run. I'll shoot a quick message to Jess before I go, nothing salacious, just hoping she's well. Then, we're gone.
  • No response from Jessi right away. Maybe she's still... occupied?

The plane taxis off and you're in the air. Apparently Malin gave Mat a wee bit of help with the arrangements—you're in first class. The flight attendants have nothing on Gwen, of course, but they're cute enough and attentive enough to make it a pleasant experience. Lindo's out like a light as soon as you're in the air, as usual, but Nizoni, in the seat next to you, is still tense.

What do you do?

• imageJubilex

I order some drinks, of course! Nature's lubrication. One for more, a double for Nizoni.

Whether she drinks or not, I'll start off a conversation, "You know, on that run when we had that crazy magical what's-it, I saw something pretty unexpected. Do you want to hear about it, Niz?"
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni turns toward you. "When I was a kid, after my parents died, I was afraid of the dark."

• imageJubilex

She's pretty unnerved. I'll let her talk about a triumph. "How did you fix that? You're the darkest person I know." I totally mean it how it sounds.
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni answers, rather grimly. "My uncle had an old empty trunk in the attic. I had one of the other kids lock me in, told him to come back in a few hours. He forgot." She quirks something like a smile. "Took Uncle a day to find me, but I was over my fear of the dark when he did."

• imageJubilex

That's awful. I try to imagine young Nizoni, all elbows and knees, I bet she was a skinny kid, stuck in a trunk, for a whole day. "Nizoni. I promise I'll never leave you in the dark." It comes out of nowhere and I mean every word of it.

How broken is she? Or did it temper her like steel? I don't know how to know which is which.
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni turns away, pulling the flexiscreen Emergency Procedures guide from the pocket of the seat in front of her, probably just to have something to do with her hands.

Still looking at the flimsy plastic screen, your thief responds. "Don't. Just don't, Jubilex." She takes a sip of her drink. "My uncle died, too, not long after. I went into the system. Fostered out to human families, mostly, because there weren't a lot of metahuman families registered as foster parents. Let's just say I wasn't a good fit." Four sentences in a row about herself. Nizoni must be nervous.

• edited July 2015
    imageJubilex

Okay, she doesn't want me to comfort her. Maybe I should try offering up some of my own history.

"My mama raised me until I turned nine, then she was arrested for selling fake prescriptions." I tell her, talking like I would with a friend, not a shrink. "They drug me off to stay with my Abuela Lupita, who was suffering from dementia. I had to fend for myself from there on. That's when I met Circe. We ran all over the barrio together. Caused all kinds of trouble, got into fights, pissed off Lone Star. We were only good for each other. Did I ever tell you I joined the corps to avoid a jail cell? I'd still be in prison if I hadn't."
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni sits, still. "So, it's 'you show me yours, I'll show you mine'?" She shakes her head. "We both lose if we play that game, Jubilex." Those mismatched eyes turn toward you again. "Thanks..."

• imageJubilex

Steerike Two!

"I saw Circe. My vision. I saw him alive, in a coffin hotel." I tell her. I've been dying to tell someone. "I think he's part of the group that we tangled with, the ones who summoned that spirit."
  • imageNizoni

Her eyes widen. "And you didn't tell us that Circe was alive?" A knife - not metal, that wouldn't have gotten onto the plane, but what looks like sharpened bone or something - appears in her hand, suddenly.

Did Nizoni and Circe ever have a thing, Jubilex? Or is this something else?

• edited July 2015
    imageJubilex

I think I just struck out, in the worst way.

"It was a damn vision from a magical whats-it, Nizoni," I answer, guilt washing over me. "I wanted it to be true, but then I found out what he's doing, and I didn't want it to be true, and... I just wanted to validate it before I got your hopes up."

They definitely had a thing. It wasn't a forever thing, they would be together for a while, then break up, then make up, then stay apart. It was the best bad relationship I'd ever seen.
  • imageNizoni

That bone-knife hovers near your throat. You know, given the proximity, that as fast as you are, there's no way to keep Nizoni from piercing your carotid if she wants to. Her hand actually trembles. "My vision had Circe in it, too. No coffin hotel, but... he was watching us. And laughing. While we got killed, Jubilex. Why didn't you tell me you thought he was alive?"

• imageJubilex

Sure, she could kill me. She wouldn't. She's making a point. This is Nizoni. This is how she makes points.

"I just did. And, I asked you what you saw, but you wouldn't tell me... now, we're even." I reply, as calmly as I can. I'm very sure she's not going to kill me. Very sure.

I mean, who else would she break in on?

"I'm sorry. Alright?" The apology drains me a little, even though I'm not sure she'll take it. "The idea of having him back was such a weird dream. Then, I found out more... and it felt like a nightmare."
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni pulls back the knife. "We're not even, but it doesn't matter. If Circe's alive and he's against us, then it's not really Circe, is it? Not in any way that matters. He's just the enemy."

• imageJubilex

"If it is Circe," I say after the knife is gone. "Then there's something we're missing." Then I look at her for a moment, and say solidly, "Nizoni, I'm not going to beg forgiveness on this. I sat on it, but I told you first. You're the only person who knows. I'm trusting you. Don't make me regret it."
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni nods, mismatched eyes hard, but you notice a single glint of moistness in the corner of the brown one. "Okay." She downs the rest of her drink, then leans back in her seat. "Jubilex, this run scares me. Circe gunning for us scares me. I don't get scared, and it's making me angry."

• imageJubilex

Whew, that was close. Can't be soft with Niz. I don't like it, but she sees it as weakness. "Told you I won't leave you in the dark."

I let her get a little alone time, then I'll run some drills with her on her backstory and approach, test her out a bit.
  • Fast Forward

You've arrived at the airport, picked up the van and horse-trailer with two stalls, one of which contains a motorcycle for Nizoni to ride to the gates of the compound on. You're at the point where she's about to get on the bike and ride away, so the rest of the team can deploy to their respective positions. Any last words of advice or comfort for your thief, Jubilex?

• imageJubilex

I give her a level look, making sure she catches my eyes before I speak. "Nizoni, the whole team is with you. I'll be in your ear, Mat's your eyes, Lindo and Malin are your magic touch. This is just like every other run. You scout ahead, snag the goods, and we back you up if things go awry."

Hand on her shoulder again. It's becoming a habit maybe. "You aren't Nizoni. You are someone else. This other person is who they know, and if you believe it, they will, too. You're going to be great at this."
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni surprises you with a quick hug, then rides off for her appointment to check out Epona Farm.

Everyone else gets in place as planned, and you get ready for the "show," via Nizoni's earpiece and Mat's tiny drone. You've got several minutes before Niz hits the gate.

You know, Jessi never did get back in touch.

• imageJubilex

A hug? Yeah, that is a surprise. I watch her go, then take position with Mat as he sets off the drone, check comms with Nizoni, then check on Malin and Lindo, make sure they're ready.

And now... we just insert our sneaky elf.
  • FLASH

Nizoni at the front gate, talking to two male elves. She stumbles a bit on the introduction, but manages to get out, "Piri. My friend Avastii mentioned Rhiannon, and it sounded like I might want to visit here. I love horses."

FLASH

A silver-haired female elf that everyone simply refers to as Bhean Treada (Malin squirts the information that this phrase means something like "Lady of the Herd") greets Nizoni warmly. "Please, you will at least stay for dinner, if not the night? The best time for a tour is under the stars."

FLASH

Nizoni is shown to a room to "freshen up" before dinner. The farmhouse is large, and the territory she's given is a little suite that looks quite comfortable, with a sitting-room, bedroom, and bathroom together. Once there, she does a quick scan for electronic bugs, then invokes a talisman that Lindo gave her that is intended to check for any sort of spiritual or ritual... alterations to the space. "This room is clear, at least. How am I doing so far?"

• edited July 2015
    imageJubilex

I consider mentioning the gaffe during her intro, but it's obvious that she moved past it and there's no reason to make her second-guess herself. "Doing great, Piri. Bhean seems really impressed with you. Stay on target and we've secured Lindo's freedom."
  • FLASH

Nizoni takes a minute to brush her hair, an oddly intimate thing for you to see over the camera from Mat's drone, then drinks a glass of water from the pitcher on the rustic but beautiful chest of drawers. Not before scanning it for toxins and pathogens, of course. A few minutes later there's a tap on the door, and she manages a mostly convincing smile before opening it.

FLASH

Dinner, and you know this is where she will need you the most. There are a dozen people plus "Piri" around the long farm table. The other elves take turns serving, even the leader, going to the kitchen and returning with platters of vegetables prepared in a myriad of ways, spreads of cheese, bread that you can almost smell through the video link. Of course, eating isn't the problem. It's following four, five threads of conversation between people whose lives are familiar to each other.

At one point, the Bhean Treada (you notice that the others refer to her with the definite article, like it's a title) addresses Nizoni, who is seated to her left near the head of the table. "Piri, what is it that you do to earn a living?"

What's the prepared answer for that, Jubilex?

• imageJubilex

After some discussion, we decided a cover that was interesting, played to Nizoni's strengths, but didn't seem dangerous.

She's a cook. What? Nizoni knows a ton about food.
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni, who's been playing up her appreciation for the food throughout the dinner so far, but hadn't actually made the seque herself (you suspect that fact is more out of fear of turning a new conversational leaf on her own than any sort of subtlety or slow play), turns to the woman and says, "I steal..." She stops herself before she says 'stuff,' and manages a course-correction. "Palates. I'm a chef." She takes a bite of some green vegetable you don't recognize, then goes on. "I cook food for people. Mostly when they're hungry, but sometimes people want to eat my food even when they're not hungry, because it's so good."

She's gonna keep going, Jubilex. What do you do?

• imageJubilex

Over comms, I say gently, "Niz, that's great. Now stop talking, and smile. Swallow your food. Take a drink. You're doing juuuust great."
    Nizoni the blabber-mouth? Never expected that.
  • One of the other elves, a woman with skin and hair so pale as to be almost ghostly, speaks up from down the table as Nizoni chews her food. "Goodness, a chef? I hope we haven't disappointed you. What kind of food do you cook?"

imageNizoni

Nizoni is prepared for this one, and gives the nonsense answer you concocted with some confidence. "Modernist fusion, generally." At a questioning look from the others at the table, she goes on. "Deconstructed First Peoples cuisine with an Asian influence and an emphasis on local, seasonal foodstuffs." That is sufficiently obscure and puzzling that the table moves on to talk of other things.

FLASH

Dessert. Some flaky pastry with honey that Nizoni really seems to enjoy, along with tea from an antique samovar. The Bhean Treada smiles over at her again. "I think you'll really enjoy the tour. Were you looking to join our little family, or to contribute in some other way?" There's something in how she says it that finally lets you see the hints of cult leader behind the facade.

imageNizoni

Nizoni must sense it as well. She freezes with her teacup halfway to her mouth before saying with a slightly rough tone, "I'm not really a joiner." There's more to that speech. You anticipated this, worked on it, but your thief is thrown off her game.

• imageJubilex

I coax her a bit, "Good start, Niz. I'm not really a joiner, but I want to learn more. I feel a bit lost out there. I'm just... here to see the place, if that's okay." It doesn't close the door, but makes it a harder sell for them.
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni manages to continue, as everyone listens closely. "I'm not really a joiner, but... I feel lost, in the city. What I left, it was awful, but that was years ago and sometimes it feels like I haven't seen the sky in a week, not really. I... I'm just... here to see the place, if that's okay."

• imageJubilex

That was even better than the line I fed her!
  • The older elf reaches out to put a hand on Nizoni's arm. Niz doesn't flinch, even seems to calm a bit. Lindo's voice rumbles into your ear. "Some sort of minor charm just went off. Detection talisman pinged. Not big juju."

• imageJubilex

"Niz, that was a minor charm she just used on you. If you feel weird, say how you're feeling. If you're okay, you don't need to respond."
  • Nizoni doesn't throw up any warning signals, continues the conversation until the tea is cleared and someone looks out the window. The leader-lady follows their glance. "About time for the tour, yes? Darpheniel, you might want to go ahead and prepare." She stands and indicates that Nizoni should, as well. Nizoni stands. The Bhean Treada holds out her arm, as if she was escorting someone on a promenade around a park.

The night, as you know from your vantage point, is about perfect. Stars sparkle in the clear, deep black sky like Christmas lights on an infinite tree, and the nearly-full moon gives a silvery sheen to the grass that even looks beautiful over the drone cameras. The first part of the tour is mundane. Facilities, the barn, the garden that most of the evening meal's food came from. A meditation fountain that splashes musically in the night.

Finally, though, the older elf asks, "Are you ready to meet Solas and Banscamall?"

Nizoni nods, and she's led to a paddock containing two of the most beautiful animals you've ever seen. Mare and colt, pure white coats gleaming in the moon, with proud necks and slender lines that seem built for long, smooth runs over field and prairie. Nizoni's intake of breath is echoed in the comms by both Malin and Mat, and even Lindo lets out a grunt of appreciation.

• edited July 2015
    imageJubilex

Wow.

I know he'll take care of the mare. This is not an act of evil, it is a prank at best.

This is a beautiful creature, but this is Lindo's life we're talking about. There's no question for me. None. Appreciation of the horse, sure. But it or Lindo? Lindo, no hesitation.

I don't want to overburden Nizoni, so I keep quiet for now. I stand up, get my self prepared. This has been a long stakeout, good to get the juices flowing again.
  • Nizoni and the other elves stay at the paddock for a time. At one point, both horses come to the fence to nuzzle your thief's hand. She giggles when Solas, the young colt, licks her. After a bit, the whole party returns to the house, and Darpheniel leads the horses back to their stalls in a stable set apart from the rest of the herd.

This is an early-to-bed, early-to-rise kind of outfit, apparently, and after a brief sherry nightcap, everyone goes to their rooms, with a promise that they'll talk more about Rhiannon and their "mission" in the morning. The plan was for Nizoni to sneak out in the night to take the mare, yes?

imageNizoni

Anyway, once she's alone, she speaks directly to you through the comms. "Jubilex, I'm just not sure about this. She's so beautiful, and they obviously treat her like royalty. Isn't there any other way?"

• imageJubilex

"Nizoni, this isn't easy. These people seem genuine and giving. But Eshii isn't evil. He's a trickster spirit, he teaches lessons." I pause, to make sure she hears me, that my words aren't lost in her worry. "It's Lindo's life."
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni's voice strengthens. "Okay, for Lindo. And you. Old man owes me, though. I think I'll make him do tricks at my next birthday party." Lindo snorts over the comms.

FLASH

4 in the morning. The hour of least resistance. You and the team have shared watches, catnapping until Nizoni comes on the comms to let you know she's ready. Mat blanks the cams while she changes into her black catsuit, and as he turns them back on, the drones are already following her climb down the side of the farmhouse. She's a shadow among many from the sharply angled moonlight as she makes her way to the stable set aside for Rhiannon's steeds.

At the door, overcoming the lock seems so easy that it's almost as if there was never any obstacle. "That was a cute little lock. Maybe they got it out of a cereal box." With a bit of help from Malin, the security system is offline in almost no time, as well. She approaches Banscamall's stall. The mare looks at Nizoni placidly, still glowing a bit, or seeming to, despite the near-complete darkness in the stable, and gives the elf a soft whinny of greeting. Nizoni sighs and pulls out an apple she must have pocketed from the dinner table centerpiece earlier, offering it up as a treat. While the horse munches away, Nizoni takes a look around for tackle and realizes there is none.

"Bareback it is," she says, as she leads the horse out of her stall and out into the moonlit night.

• imageJubilex

I'm up, getting ready quickly and keeping an eye our girl. We're all up, so I'll check exfil routes, make sure they're cleae.

She did it for me, too? That's sweet.
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni leads the shimmering, pure-white mare back out into the slanting moonlight and leaps onto her back with a grace that is both balletic and primal. Banscamall tosses her mane, excited but comfortable with the rider on her back. Your thief leans to whisper something in the horse's ear and then they're off like the wind. Even the drones have a hard time keeping up until Mat kicks in something and the feed stabilizes.

Nizoni and the mare move like a single creature as they approach the outer fence of the compound. Is there a low spot in the fence somewhere, or has someone cut the chainlink along the perimeter?

• imageJubilex

I cut the fence earlier. Lindo has put up a small seeming over it, but he drops it as she comes closer. I'm still in awe of Nizoni and the mare. "Niz, we're ready. You're doing great."
  • Here's the thing, Jubilex. Nizoni and the mare aren't heading for the section of fence that you cut. They're running flat out in the straight line path toward Mat and the trailer, with and eight-foot-high intact fence in the way. You've got monitors on Nizoni's vitals: her heart rate and blood pressure are up, but not in a rapid or dangerous way. She's... having fun? And it looks like she's about to go for a world record, here. You've got sixty seconds, tops, to respond if you care to.

• imageJubilex

I trust my thief. I trust Nizoni. But just in case, I say through comms, calm and clear, "That's an eight foot fence. You think you can make it over, Niz?"
  • Nizoni doesn't respond, just urges Banscamall to greater speed. About three yards away from the fence, with Nizoni low over the mare's neck, she indicates with some combination of body language and natural connection that it's time, and the horse soars into the air off her powerful rear legs, clearing the fence in good form as if gravity was just a suggestion and not a law.

Unfortunately, as they take off, Nizoni's reserve breaks, and she lets out an exhilarated whoop that's definitely loud enough to carry to the big house. Within seconds, lights are coming on.

• imageJubilex

When we get out of this, I will have no end of jokes to tell about my loudmouth thief.

For now, I get up and start running for her spot, we've got to move quick. "Lindo," I call over subvocal, "Throw a false trail on the other end of the compound. Mat, keep eyes on who's coming our way. We are not going to hurt any of these people!"
  • Mat switches you remotely to a split-screen HUD with a tactical display that's just now showing a few dots streaming out of the main house and spreading out across the compound.

imageLindo

As you run toward Nizoni's breach point, Lindo responds, "How about this?" A colt, a dead ringer for Solas, starts taking off the opposite direction from Nizoni, heading toward the other side of the compound. The gait's a little off, and you somehow realize that he's "disguised" his spirit dog to look like the two-year-old horse.

Within moments, nearly the full population of the farm is spread out, many following "Solas," but at least four heading in Nizoni's direction. Two saddle up on 4-wheeler ATVs and take off. Those two have rifles.

What do you do?

• imageJubilex

I'll line up a shot with the rifle I brought with me. I'm going to take out their tires. Hopefully it will delay them enough.
  • Let's see some dice. To take out both ATVs will require two shots at moving targets at a medium distance. I'd call that a Great (+4) difficulty, yes?

• imageJubilex

Shooting (to Overcome):
    (Rolled: 4df+4. Total: 5. Rolls: 0, +, -, +)
  • Nice shooting. That takes the most present threat out of the picture, but you can hear the sounds of other vehicles starting up in the compound. Lindo's distraction bought you some time, but you're going to be cutting it close. You've got to get you and Lindo, the horse and Nizoni on the van or in the trailer. You can hear from Lindo's breathing that he's on the run, and he's doing a lot better than he was, but he's still no spring chicken. What do you do?

• imageJubilex

I'm rushing to the trailer to help load them up. If the elves here get too close, I'll go stop them. I really don't want to hurt them, but this is Lindo's life.
  • With your wired reflexes and motivation to carry you to full speed, you get to the trailer only about a minute after Nizoni and the white mare. Lights of two more ATVs are approaching from the farm, but it will be a time before they find you, since the van and trailer are parked cleverly past a small rise. Lindo is coming from the far side of the compound, and it will likely be several minutes before he reaches the rendezvous.

imageNizoni

Nizoni is glowing with adrenaline and endorphins as she leads Banscamall up the ramp onto the trailer, comforting it with whispered words in the Elven language. "I'll ride in the other stall, where the motorbike was, so I can talk to her through the bars and keep her calm." The joy of the ride has overwhelmed her earlier guilt, but you have to suspect it will be back.

From your vantage point, the two ATVs are curving ever closer. At this rate, they will definitely reach your position before Lindo arrives. What do you do?

• imageJubilex

Rifle up, I'm moving towards them, then taking a good position to do the same as the others, take out their wheels. I'm tempted to out and out tell them what we're doing. I don't think it would change any of their actions, but at least they'd know.

It could cause too many complications on the return trip, though.
  • You get into position no problem, and it shouldn't be an issue hitting tires again, but the ground here is less flat, and there's a far greater chance that someone will roll their vehicle and get hurt.

Let's call this another Shoot roll, Jubilex, but alter the deal a bit. You'll be rolling to Attack, and they're evading at +2 (one roll for the two of them). If by some chance you fail, both vehicles are still out of commission, but one of the elves is seriously injured. If you tie, there's some damage, but more limps and bruises. Succeed or better, and you're golden.

• Rolling to Evade (Rolling first for efficiency)

(Rolled: 4df+2. Total: 0. Rolls: +, -, -, -)
  • imageJubilex

I take a moment to take a breath, exhale, then fire a line across, a three-round burst that should hit tires on both of the vehicles.

Shooting:
    (Rolled: 4df+4. Total: 1. Rolls: -, -, 0, -)
  • You get tires on both ATVs, and one shudders to a halt, while the other does a slow roll as it hits a dip immediately after. Both elves are up and off their vehicles in a moment. It's a foot race now, between Lindo and the two of them, and while Lindo's not as fast, he's closer by now and has easier ground. You'd guess they won't risk hurting the mare by shooting at the vehicle, so as long as nothing happens, you should get on the road without trouble.

Why don't you give me a straight-up 4dF roll, here. You'll get gone, however it goes, but a minus result means I'll drop something serious on you, a zero means a hard choice, and a plus means you're free and clear. You can use FP afterwards, if you can make it work in the fiction.

• imageJubilex

Flat roll:
    (Rolled: 4df. Total: -1. Rolls: -, 0, -, +)
  • imageJubilex

I see it, Lindo falling behind, slowing down. I'm starting to take aim on the lead elf, a pretty one, reminds me of Aoife, a little, just without chrome.

Then, like a little fullback and out of nowhere, Mat comes up to help Lindo out, pulling him along.

(spending a FP for the Team Stunt: Like You Read My Mind to push this to a +1)
  • Mat gets Lindo in the van, and you fall back to join Nizoni in the non-horse-filled stall of the double-trailer just as he starts to pull away. A few shots of covering fire suffice to keep the elves from overtaking before you get up to speed and onto what passes for a road, and you make it out free and clear. Twenty minutes later, Malin informs you that the Salish-Shidhe authorities have been alerted, but since population is relatively thin in this area, they're simply upping the alert on the border, looking for a trailer with a white horse. They do have a description of Nizoni, as well, but you folks are pretty good at sneaking through checkpoints, yes?

Regardless, Mat pulls off the road into a clearing that he clocked earlier, and it's time to summon Eshu. Nizoni asks for a minute with Banscamall before you do. What do you do?

• imageJubilex

During the ride, I've been watching her, seeing Nizoni in this whole new light. Is this who she was meant to be? Or is it just a hidden side of who she always was? I'm amazed by how gentle and caring she is with the mare.

She asks for privacy, and of course I nod to her request, and step off the trailer. "Keep eyes on, Nizoni's getting the mare ready for transport." I'll pull out Eshu's little device, his totem. I'm ready to summon him, get this deal done so we can diddy mao.
  • Everyone piles out of the van. Lindo seems speculative and a little tense at the thought of Eshu arriving, but confident in the loa's intent to keep the deal you made. Everyone else makes a rough circle as Nizoni, calm and sad-eyed, leads Banscamall down the ramp and into the clearing. The mare's head is high, her soft brown eyes catching the last of the moonlight as her coat shimmers like the foam-capped waves she takes her name from. Even just walking the few steps to the center of the grassy area, there's something eye-catching, even heart-breaking about her.

Nizoni takes her hand off the horse's shoulder and backs away to the edge of the circle, watching you with Eshu's talisman in your hand. She nods.

• imageJubilex

I'll move up, catching Nizoni's eye, giving her strength with a look, then I stand in the circle and summon Eshu. "Eshu, we have your prize. Come to us, great loa, we wish to finish our deal."
  • edited July 2015

You snap the cane as Eshu instructed, and all of you are suddenly both here and there, at the crossroads with the loa. He is dressed as he was before, in his pimpin' track suit, with his customary sardonic grin, but when he sees Banscamall, that transforms into a genuine, beaming smile, his teeth glowing as brightly as the mare.

A carrot appears in his hand and he strides forward in something that looks much like wonder. He murmurs to the horse as he holds out the carrot. "Oh, yon sèl dous ak bèl m 'yo. Ou menm ak mwen pral monte byen lwen tèlman epi yo gen plezi anpil ansanm!" Your inline translation expert system gives a virtual shrug. You'll have to ask Lindo later.

Eshu looks back up to catch your eye, then Lindo's. Without saying a further word, he winks, and you're back entirely in your own world. Lindo immediately flexes his fingers and tests his knees, then smiles. "He either forgot to take back his little gift or left it as a bonus. Still feeling like a youngster. Well, relatively."

Nizoni... Nizoni has tears streaming down her face, but something she saw must have comforted her. She's almost placid despite the waterworks.

• imageJubilex

"Good. Glad you got a fringe bennie, Lindo." I say, letting Nizoni have her moment. If she looks to me for support, I'm there, but I don't want to intrude.

After a few breaths, I clear my throat, "Alright, let's exfil, people. Need to get over the border, but quick."
  • Mat's transport plan has included abandoning both the trailer and the motorbike, all along. They're not going to break the bank, and can't be traced to you or the supplier. He has a new set of plates and transponder code for the van, along with a magnetic sign that reads "Elven Paradise Tours, Inc."

So, the van and the non-elves shouldn't be much of a problem, but the border guards will have Nizoni's description. What was the contingency plan for sneaking one of your own out of Salish-Shidhe territory?

• imageJubilex

Well, Niz was wearing contacts when she met the elves. It's less of a plan to make her look different coming out as it was a plan to make her look unlike Nizoni when she went in. She's busy removing the contacts, the whiter makeup and the red wig. Along with that, we have idents, of course. Best not to try anything astral with elves around. Malin said she can mess with things if need be, but hopefully, their eyes deceive them.