[Shadowfate] Hot on the Heels of Love (6)

imageMalin

Malin doesn't pop up in your HUD right away, and about thirty seconds later, she pings you back. Her hair is thoroughly mussed, her eyes are a bit bloodshot, and she looks tired, but definitely not unhappy. "I'm, uh, somewhere? A loft. And there are giraffes. I mean, on the wall. What?"

Comments

• imageJubilex

Her appearance is amusing, but I'm hoping she can clear up quick. We do have a job to do today. "Can you meet me in an hour at Pike Place Farmer's Market?" It's near the pier, where I suspect we might find some details on the kera. Also, I still need to shop for Jessi's present. "Anyone else from the team with you?"
  • imageMalin

Malin shakes her head, clearly still fuzzy. Seems more freshly-fragged and underslept than hungover, if you had to guess, but hey, what do you know about Dwarf metabolism? "No one with me, boss. Uhhh, no one from the crew. Might take me a little more than an hour. Maybe. I don't know exactly where I am, and I need fresh... ummm... underthings?" She looks a bit apologetic, but not very...

• imageJubilex

I snort, "I'm stepping into an Uber right now. I can get some underthings and come pick you up." I'll check my new gadget, see if I can get a location for Malin.
  • imageMalin

"No! I'll, uh, get back to the hotel. Pretty sure I won't have the longest response time." You see her turn her head and shush someone. Maybe someones? There might have been two separate mumbles, but you can't be sure. "I think Lindo went somewhere with a 20-something, and I know he's all rejuvenated, but..." She gives you a wink and cuts the connection.

• imageJubilex

I shake my head at Malin's antics. Two mumbles? Maybe a little jealous, for a second. Then I remember a blonde lady biting her pillow and it passes.

I'll ring Niz. She slept alone, I'm sure. Or maybe she's watching me right now.
  • imageNizoni

You ring/ping Nizoni. Unlike Malin, she "picks up" right away, but (if anything) her demeanor is more unexpected. You can see the signs. Her eyes are wide, her nostrils flared, her already copper complexion flushed with a tinge of scarlet. Her tone is curt. "What, Jube?" Then you see her hands move down toward her lap and hear a sort of musical hum. Sounds like Delphine's last big hit? Maybe it's just an audio artifact?

• imageJubilex

My eyes narrow, curious. "I'm calling round the horn to gather the team. Are you at the hotel?"
  • imageNizoni

"Yes... I am. Is there some sort of rush?" She starts sort of humming along. Looks from her face that she can't help it. There's something going down, if you know what I mean.

• imageJubilex

"Rush?" I ask, slowing down my speech, playing for time. I want to see what she'll do. "Malin evidently got lucky last night. She's not... at the hotel. I'm on my way back myself. How was your night?"
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni gives you a look through the connection. A look. "Still going on? It takes me a while, and I was all keyed up from the horse thing. Was that too much information? Probably yes. Talk to me in an hour." She glances down. "...and a half?" There's a brief pause before she continues. "And that was an awesome wingsuit jump! I'm rewatching it again now."

• imageJubilex

"Thanks, glad you liked it, Niz." I answer with a chuckle. I pretend to look down, as if somehow I could see who is "servicing her", then chuckle again. "See you in a couple hours."

Nizoni has sex. One of the great mysteries is solved.

Okay, okay, she had sex with Circe. He told me in excruciating detail. But since? I didn't know, wondered, hoped, but didn't have an inkling. This is a happy thing.
  • I'm guessing Lindo is next? He picks up on your ping quickly, with a grin like the cat that ate the canary. "Gooood morning, young man! How's your day so far?"

• imageJubilex

"It's rather amazing so far, Lindo. How was your night?" I am still wearing a grin from before, this is just a string of amusing conversations.
  • imageLindo

Lindo gives the broadest smile you've seen in a while, white teeth shining in the HUD. "Turns out my accidental gift from the loa went beyond helping with joint pain, Jubilex. Well beyond. What do you need?"

• imageJubilex

"I'm so glad, Lindo. We have a run we need to start today. Are you able to meet at the hotel in an hour or so?"
  • imageLindo

"That's where I am now. Where do you want to assemble? Your room, the cafe, the restaurant? The spa, maybe?"

• edited August 2015
    imageJubilex

I mull over the options for a brief moment, reflecting on the mood of the group. "The spa. I'm on my way to the hotel now. Niz and Malin will be along in a couple hours, perhaps." Might be good if Lindo and I have some time alone. I want to discuss his apprentice. I still want him to train someone, that hasn't changed.

I'll give Mat a call, pretty sure he ended up working on his tech late in his room.
  • Mat is off the grid. Completely. Not just "not answering," but unfindable. Can't even leave a message.

• imageJubilex

I'll call Lindo back, "Hoi amigo. I can't reach Mat, he appears off the grid. Can you use some woo woo to get ahold of him?"
  • imageLindo

Lindo's good mood is unfazed and he begins a mock-lecture. "Jubilex, son, woo-woo is a highly offensive term with centuries of colonial oppression, racism and misunderstanding behind it. The proper term is..." That's as far as he gets before breaking into a grin and a laugh at his own joke. "I'll see what I can find out, p'tit-fils. Doubt I'll be able to 'get ahold' of him, but I may be able to figure something." He closes the connection.

What do you do? You're just about back to the hotel.

• imageJubilex

I'll head up to Mat's room, see if he's there. Because, why not?
  • No answer at Mat's door, and he's not at the coffeeshop/cafe, the hotel bar, or hanging out in the lobby. The desk clerk remembers you checking in together and is willing to be persuaded that no-one's been in or out of his room since you left last night for the club. You know Lindo's methods can sometimes take a little bit of time, and he hasn't pinged you back yet.

• imageJubilex

I'll shoot a quick message to Malin:

Malin, Mat didn't come back to his room last night. He's unreachable on comms. Do you know where he is? Also, meeting at the spa. - J

I'll head to the hotel gift shop, look for ideas for a gift for Jessi, waste some time until the team meets up.
  • Malin shoots back a response quickly.

He didn't say where he was going, but he left pretty early. Should we worry?

Not long after, as you browse through the gift shop, Lindo pings you.

imageLindo

His mouth is quirked up in a grin. "Where are you, p'tit-fils? I think you'd like to hear this in person."

• imageJubilex

I'm looking at some crappy little Space Needles when Lindo hits me up. "Gift shop at the hotel."" I am never going to find a gift for her at this rate.
  • imageLindo

In just a few minutes, Lindo shows up, shaking his head at the trinkets on display. "I did a map divination, and, well... I know where Mat is."

He sends you a GPS coordinate, which links to a directory entry. A business of some sort, called the Velvet Dungeon. Oh... not of some sort. Of a very particular sort. The sort that comes with hand-cuffs and the occasional riding crop.

• imageJubilex

My eyes widen at the revelation, but I'm not shocked as in grossed out. Just, well, shocked. I had no idea. "Well.... that's a thing." I do a hand wipe gesture to send it away. "Let's leave him be, and only talk of it if he brings it up."

I send Malin a quick message reply:
    Nah, just gathering everyone. I trust Mat, he's a grown-up. He'll be along. Speaking of which, Lindo and I are at the hotel. See you soon. -J

Back to Lindo, "I need to get something nice for Jessi." I'm not ASKING asking, but I'm "asking".
  • imageLindo

Lindo has a twinkle in his eye as he responds. "How about an engagement ring?" At your dismayed look, he chuckles. "Seriously, though... maybe ship back a cold-packed whole salmon and grill it for her family? Or go to one of the Salish markets and find some silver earrings and a necklace. What sort of thing are you trying for?"

• imageJubilex

As soon as I recover from the engagement ring joke, he hits me with the idea for food. Nine hells! "Why didn't I think of food?!? Damn, Lindo, I knew there was a reason I kept you around. Well, besides your sparkling wit, wisdom and power over the unseen, naturally." I check on my device, which is becoming second nature already, looking for some fresh salmon listed at Pike. I know they'll have some choice meats.

"Cooking for her and Mateo and the family, that's wiz. Or just her." I'm half here, half checking snaps of the catch of the day.
  • You find a fishmonger with a great reputation score that will sell you a whole salmon and ship it back to PRD when you give the word. That's a lot of salmon, by the way, you should be able to put on quite a feast. The vendor asks if you want them to break the fish down into fillets for you.

• imageJubilex

I'll agree to the fillets, thank the vendor, ask if he has any recommendations for fresh vegetables and the like. I'm getting ideas already, but I'm open to a Seattle food experience.

I'll check Salish markets, see if there is anything that would work with salmon, a nice fusion dish, or twenty.
  • By the time your team (Mat excepted, for the moment) start to trickle in to the spa for the meeting, you've lined up a whole feast of ingredients to be shipped back to the PRD once you're ready to leave. In addition to the salmon, you'll have foraged wild mushrooms, elk and moose steaks, a dozen enormous geoduck (that's "gooey duck") clams, dried berries for some sort of sauce... along with tips on cooking and two cases of Northwest wine for pairing with various things.

Lindo's already with you. Malin arrives next, looking tired and perhaps quite ready to spend some time in the spa once the meeting's done. Nizoni's after, looking like... well, Nizoni, but with a slight spring in her step.

What do you do?

• imageJubilex

I'll wait for everyone to sit down, relax a little, then ask, "Anyone want to share highlights of their evening, or do we jump to finding the kera?"
  • Here's a little data dump.

The kera you're supposed to "re-acquire" is a slab of rough mixed steel approximately 3.25 feet by 9 feet, and about a foot thick. It weighs about 2.5 tons, and will produce approximately 1.5 tons of usable tamahagane, which, at ¥800 per pound, means the total value is ca. ¥2.4 million. It would normally have been broken up and distributed directly from the smelter, but this kera was stolen intact for some reason.

The swordsmith is able to send you the location of the warehouse where the kera is currently stored, but no one in his chain of information seems to have much idea why it was stolen in the first place, or on whose behalf. The company that owns the warehouse has the generic name SeaTac East-West Holdings and Transport.

• imageMalin

Malin looks around at the others, and shrugs. She's clearly curious about everyone's night, but doesn't want to be the first to share. "Business first?"

• imageJubilex

I nod, happy to talk business, "Malin, get me what you can on SeaTac East-West Holdings and Transport. It's a front company, so tell me who is behind it, what they're interests are, especially any connections to swordsmaking or fighting, rare metals, anything related. Nizoni, I want some details on the warehouse where the kera is stored. How do we get in and out, where is the trouble, and how troublesome are they? Lindo, if you could take a peek at the astral, see what boogeymen are around the place. I'll check in with some locals that I know from my sarariman days, see if they know anything. Any questions or concerns?"
  • Malin and Lindo head to their own rooms, not wanting to do their separate "staring off into space" activities in a public space.

imageNizoni

Nizoni, on the other hand, gives you a look. "Wanna go case the joint the old way, flatfoot?" That was a pretty credible generic impression of an ancient PI movie.

• imageJubilex

"Sure, sweetheart." I answer in a pitiful impression of my own. I think I was doing the guy from Casablanca. I've only seen clips of it. I'll summon an Uber and head outside, "I am sworn to secrecy on the personal details of my exploits last night on pain of death. So how was your night? And morning?"
  • imageNizoni

As the Uber pulls up, Nizoni ponders with a Mona Lisa grin. "It's been a while. Was good to cut loose and get a good casual frag or two. I'm going to need to grab a new use-and-burn SIN, though. No way I was giving anybody one of my good ones."

You get into the car and give the address in the warehouse district. The building is a big, blocky space, pretty much like all the rest around. Nizoni points out security features, though, which are anything but standard. "Windows have vibration sensors. Looped redundant surveillance from multiple points. I wouldn't be surprised if there were active countermeasures, as well." She checks something through her wireless connection. "DismasNet says average police response time to this area is 2.3 minutes daytime, 2.1 night."

• imageJubilex

Frag or two? Impressed. I'm assuming she means multiple partners. Not asking.

"Not much of a window. I wonder how we get the blasted thing out of there in that time." I muse aloud. I look at her, "Drop a crane through the ceiling? Delivery truck?"
  • imageNizoni

Nizoni looks thoughtful. "You know, it seems like there's no real reason for anyone to just hold a two-and-a-half ton hunk of steel. They've got to do something with it soon, right? And the easiest heist is the en-route heist. I think we should try to figure out when there's a flatbed or big enough transport coming, target it when they're moving it. Unless that'll take too long."

• imageJubilex

"That's brilliant, Niz." I say with honesty. "We need to figure out more about the people who took it to know their timetable."

Malin, Find anything out about the warehouse owners? Call me. - J
  • imageMalin

Malin pops up. "Warehouse is very hardened, weirdly. The security system is worth ten times what your steel is. The shell company's equally tricky, but I've traced it back through about a gazillion layers. And you'll love this: who's the papa bear in this little family? Aztechnology."

• imageJubilex

"Brilliant." I answer with a sour face. "Any details on when they might transport it?"
  • imageMalin

Malin shakes her head. "Not yet. I'm running a bayesian-filtered algorithm against the most likely transport companies. I think it will be tonight or tomorrow, though. I'm building some connections, and I might have a clue as to what Aztech wants with a huge hunk of very expensive steel soon. Be easier to talk it through than just lay it out, so it can wait until you get back."

Within seconds of Malin disconnecting, you get a ping from Mat.

OMW back to the hotel. Saw your messages. I'll check in after a shower.

• imageJubilex

"Come on down, Niz and I are staying put." I answer. To Niz, "Looks like a stakeout, chica." I'll look for a place we can perch without attracting attention. We will probably need a vehicle. I'll check in on that.

Malin is at the hotel. Hit her up. Once you're both ready, get a vehicle and bring her here. - J
  • Half an hour or so later, Mat notifies you that he's on the way with the rest of the team.

Why don't you tell me about the spot you found for your stakeout, Jube? Is it comfortable? Are you bring the team to you, or are you going to go to whatever vehicle Mat picked up?

• imageJubilex

Malin spotted a night little cafe a half block down. We have been sitting outside, chatting lightly and drinking cappuccinos. I'm sure Mat scored up something nice, but I want him to park nearby and walk. Doubtful anything will happen until nightfall, and moving something that large will take some noticeable effort.

I order some pastries for everyone and we make a casual meal out of it.
  • imageMalin

Malin glances at Lindo, then Mat. They both seem to agree she should take the lead. "Okay, aside from 'bad guys,' what do we know about Aztechnology and Aztlan? Something that might relate to special edged weapons?"

• imageJubilex

"Aztechies are big proponents of blood magic. Ceremonial weapons are the rage for those wingnuts."
  • imageLindo

Lindo holds up a finger. "Ah, yes. The kera is dripping with blood enchantment. They've already done the dirty work, just need to get it to a smelter with the right stuff. It's too damp around here, mostly... they've got to be taking it over the Cascades to somewhere in the Columbia Basin. Lots of road between here and there."

• imageJubilex

"Sounds good." I look to Mat, "Pick up a good ambush spot, one you can cover without notice. Let's get some supplies, like food. Maybe a to-go bag or two? And we'll go play the waiting game. Unless there are brighter ideas?"
  • As usual, this was a team effort. Malin located the most likely spot to process the steel, a tract of land with anonymous industrial buildings in the more arid extremities of the Columbia Basin, in NAN territory. The land is owned through a series of shell companies by (you guessed it) Aztechnology. Mat identified three possible choke points, then worked with you to choose the most likely and set drones to surveil the others. Because there's Blood Magic involved, you have to assume that there might be mystical protections as well as mundane ones, so Lindo spent a few hours weaving passive detection spells and setting up some little surprises that he can trigger with a word. Nizoni helped everyone, contributing ideas when needed, and staying out of the way otherwise.

And now, the truck is on the way to the choke point Mat identified as the best place for an ambush. You're minutes away from action. Spike strips are set up the road half a mile away, along a straightaway just before the curve that provides you with your cover. Everyone's in place.

Last words over comms? And how are you feeling about this op?

• imageJubilex

My brain is telling me that we've done everything we can do, this op is airtight, and we will knock this out of the park. I've run it through my head for an hour now, we have everything covered.

My gut is telling me we're about to poke blood mages in the eye over a huge chunk of steel so me and my proteges can have nice swords and some nuyen, and this is a horribly stupid idea.

"Stay frosty team. No shots fired except in self-defense." I tell them all nice and calm. "We're recovering something stolen, that's all."
  • Everyone stays frosty. A few minutes pass and even without the video coming through your HUD, you'd know when the truck hits your trap. The pop of tires, squealing brakes, and mechanical shuddering as the front end of the cab comes into view just at the beginning of the curve. Doors open and four men pile out, all armed. Two take up position with rifles, the other two immediately start looking at the front tires, cursing loudly.

What do you do?

• imageJubilex

I take aim at the biggest lug, then fire on his legs. Best way to take them down, often the least armored part. Once they're down, I'll work on disarming them. Nizoni will be on the other side ready to move in after I fire on them.
  • Let's see that Shoot roll to attack. Base difficulty would be a straight 2, but since you're trying for all four of them in quick succession, let's call it a 4.

• imageJubilex

Shoot:
    (Rolled: 4df+4. Total: 4. Rolls: +, 0, -, 0)
  • All four are down, and you'd guess they'll live, but that first one is definitely going to have a limp for the rest of his life. Malin leaps into action getting the thugs tied up while Mat and Nizoni cover the rear of the truck. Lindo holds up his hand in the agreed-upon "Proceed with Caution: Woo Woo inside" signal as you make your way to the rear of the armored cargo truck.

• imageJubilex

I move ahead of Nizoni and head for the door, eyes alert, Predator in one hand, left hand at my side. When I get to the door, I'll call out, "You've got two seconds to open up!" I motion for Nizoni to climb up on top.
  • Lindo chants low, under his breath, and you feel that ionized tickle you associate with magic prickling along your neck. Mat has his big gun trained on the door, and Nizoni has swiftly leapt to the roof of the truck, ready to react.

It's closer to three seconds than two, but the doors burst open. A pair of nightmare creatures, dogs twice the size of a St. Bernard with blood dripping from their teeth, black as outer space, leap out with a howl.

What do you do?

• imageJubilex

I expected more human-ish opponents.

I drop back, bringing my gun to bear. Not sure it will do any good, but I'll fire and drop back, drawing them towards me. I hope I can make an opening for Nizoni to get into the truck
  • You feel a wave of force as Lindo finishes with single guttural syllable. The traps he set earlier come to life, and the attacking dogs are snared in glowing green vines of force, taking them down in mid leap. Your shot goes past to ping against the open door of the cargo compartment. The familiar shape of his spirit companion materializes between you and the vehicle, equally black and menacing, but on your side. Nizoni swings into the back of the truck, confronting... apparently no-one?

What do you do?

• imageJubilex

"Lindo?" I call over the comms, "Did you just save us?" I'm moving into the rear of the truck.
  • imageLindo

Lindo responds quickly. "Not yet! Concealment spell of some sort." Nizoni staggers back toward the open cargo doors as a security person seemingly materializes out of thin air and clocks her with the butt of a rifle which she then turns to aim at you. "Hands, up, you piece of dreck! Now!"

• imageJubilex

Once I see Nizoni attacked, I charge forward. That guard will need to be really fast to drop me. I'm going to take her down with my bare hands.
  • A shot zips past your ear as you close the distance in a second. The guard is no pushover, but you're definitely faster, and she's got a rifle to deal with after you get into hand-to-hand range.

You're first. Attack with Fight, yes? She'll be defending with Athletics of 3.

• imageJubilex

She will soon realize she's in trouble. I will keep that rifle in between us, and use it against her.

Fight:
    (Rolled: 4df+5. Total: 6. Rolls: +, +, 0, -)
  • Defending with Athletics (+3)

(Rolled: 4df+3. Total: 4. Rolls: 0, +, 0, 0)
  • The speed of your attack takes her by surprise, and she staggers from the hit. (2-Harm box marked. 1- and 3-harm boxes left.)

She rallies, attempting a knee to the crotch, since her hands are still engaged, and you're preventing her from dropping the rifle to free them up.

(Rolled: 4df+3. Total: 4. Rolls: +, 0, 0, 0)

• imageJubilex

I turn my hip to block her knee, then snap a couple quick punches to her face.

Fight:
    (Rolled: 4df+5. Total: 5. Rolls: 0, +, -, 0)
  • You beat on defense, and take no damage.

You clearly have the upper hand, here, and will triumph in the end. That is, until one more figure suddenly appears in the back of the truck. Dressed in the regalia of a priest of the Smoking Mirror Cult, he growls and draws the tip of his knife across his own palm. A red mist begins to gather around him.

You're still engaged with the guard. What do you do?

• imageJubilex

I have to switch focus for this priest. "Niz, finish this girl off!" I order, not sure if she even can, but I'm not a fan of opening myself up without trying something.

I'm hitting that blood priest right the hell now.
  • You think you hear Nizoni grunt an affirmative as you move on the Smoking Mirror priest. The haze around him coalesces into a twisted homunculus standing between the two of you, with two blood-red knife blades for hands. It waves them in front of you.

Do you attack the minion, or the priest, Jube?

• imageJubilex

There's no choice here. Like I said, I'm hitting that blood priest right the hell now. I'll grit my teeth as I quickdraw my Predator and unload on this guy.

• imageJubilex

Shoot:
    (Rolled: 4df+4. Total: 4. Rolls: +, -, -, +)
  • edited August 2015
    Defending with Athletics +1. Also, he has Armor 2

(Rolled: 4df+1. Total: 1. Rolls: +, 0, -, 0)
  • The priest opens his mouth in pain as your bullet hits between the shoulder and collar bone. You realize the earlier growl was no accident—his tongue is missing, and the sound that comes out is nearly unrecognizable as human. Your three shifts of damage, plus the gun's Weapon Rating of 2 = 5, minus his Armor of 2 means his two-point stress box (his highest) is checked, PLUS, he has a 1-point Consequence, PLUS you get a one-shot Boost, Left Arm Useless.

The little twisted manikin with knife-hands doesn't seem affected, and leaps at you, blades forward.

All he's good at is attacking with those blades.

(Rolled: 4dF+4. Total: 5. Rolls: 0, 0, +, 0)

• edited August 2015
    imageJubilex

Fight to Defend:
    (Rolled: 4df+5 . Total: 6. Rolls: +, +, 0, -)
  • Super Saiyan Defend!

You twist aside quickly, avoiding the blades entirely as the ugly, twisted creature snarls and spits. Mouth still open in pain, the priest begins an eerie, wordless ululation that sends a shiver up your spine. Something else is coming, and it's not good. At that moment, Lindo's black spirit dog leaps into the back of the truck, growling and menacing the creature with the blade-hands.

Go ahead and give me your attack. To represent Lindo's help in this situation, the dog will give you an Aspect, Guard Dog that you can invoke to help on either offense or defense.

• imageJubilex

I continue moving with the twist, and bring my Predator up. I need to end this blood priest right now. I squeeze off two shots, aiming for his right eye and his left nostril.

Shooting Attack:
    (Rolled: 4df+4. Total: 6. Rolls: +, +, 0, 0)

• Defending with Athletics

(Rolled: 4dF+1. Total: 2. Rolls: 0, +, 0, 0)
  • Describe the kill for me, Jube.
  • imageJubilex

Both shots hit the mark. First hits his eye, exploding it into his skull. As his head starts to snap back, the second bullet drives into the hole of his left nostril, and zips through the back-side of his head. He's meat before he hits the floor, and I'm already calling out, "He called something else, stay wary!"

I'm turning on that blade-arm monster as Lindo's dog tears into it.
  • As your shots end the wild wailing of the priest and you turn toward the monster he summoned, the echo of his voice hits your brain like a railroad spike made of ice. The pain is intense, ringing through your skull.

The priest's death-scream is an Attack with Magic of 4. You'll Defend with Will.

(Rolled: 4dF+4. Total: 0. Rolls: -, -, -, -)

• imageJubilex

Resist!
    (Rolled: 4df+3. Total: 0. Rolls: -, -, 0, -)
  • edited August 2015
    imageJubilex

I'll spend my Boost to up that to a +2. Squeak!
  • Almost simultaneously with the warbling death-scream, you see from the corner of your eye that Nizoni finishes off the human guard. At the same moment, Lindo's dog grabs the homunculus by the throat in its huge jaws and begins to shake it around like a chew toy. You place a perfect shot that ends the ugly little monster. Riding high on adrenaline, you turn to scan for other threats, just in time to see Mat crumple to the ground in a faint.

• imageJubilex

"Mat!" I call, the moment of victory stolen away by that motion. I start running towards my little rigger, imagining the demons that priest might have summoned to hurt my friend.
  • Everyone converges on Mat, lying limp on the ground. His eyes are wide open, staring blankly up at the sky, and his breathing is shallow.

imageLindo

"Give me a few minutes to see what's happened to him, Jube. Why don't you or Nizoni pull up our truck? We still need to grab that hunk of metal."

• imageJubilex

I head off for the truck, calling back, "Niz! Watch over them both." Then, over sub-vocal, "Malin, what do you see?"
  • As you sprint off for your vehicle, you see Nizoni quickly take the several steps to stand near Lindo and Mat, keeping a few steps away to give room for Lindo to "do his thing" and evaluate the environment.

imageNizoni

Her voice in your ear. "I've got it, Jube. Do what you have to."

You get to the truck, start it up, and make your way back. Along the way, Malin chimes in.

imageMalin

"Something took out one of Mat's drones, and I think... no, I know we have incoming from the air. Small, so drone. Maybe ten minutes? Nothing close."

• imageJubilex

Nizoni has it. Thank God she has my back. Our back.

As I'm driving and Malin reports, I answer, "Keep eyes on. When you get a clear visual, call it in. We'll have to take it down, I'm sure." Once I'm close, I'll hop out to help carry Mat in, then start work on the transfer of our prize.
  • imageLindo

Lindo stays with Mat in the front of your truck. His dark eyes are tense, but not fearful. "Not much we can do right now, but I think he'll be okay in a while. Sort of like an astral concussion, if that makes sense. I'll keep an eye on him while you do what you have to."

imageNizoni

While you're moving Mat, Nizoni is already rigging the air-cushion palette your rigger brought along to lift the steel so it can be transferred to your vehicle. When you return it's a matter of a minute or two to slide it in to the back.

imageMalin

"It's close. I've taken control of one of Uncle Mat's drones, but the control interface is quirky. Very Mat. I'll see if I can try to intercept our visitor, but you should be ready if I can't."

• imageJubilex

"Good work, Nizoni." I say as I get the transfer started. "Lindo, get Mat in the truck. Everyone, there's a bogey coming our way. Malin's going to try and disable it, but keep eyes on."
  • imageMalin

Malin responds. "I've got our drone heading to intercept, but it'll be a kamikaze run, and I doubt it will completely disable the incoming one. It might give me time to take over the hostile, though. It's hardened, and that's going to take a few minutes. I've got a sprite on it."

Nizoni takes position with one of the rifles Mat rustled up from somewhere, but you know that it will be you that has to be fully prepared to take this shot.

Mat and Lindo are in the truck, sheltered for the moment.

Malin rolls Tech to Overcome the hostile drone's programming, vs. a target of 4

(Rolled: 4df+5. Total: 4. Rolls: -, 0, 0, 0)

• imageJubilex

Hop out of the truck, move so I can lean on the hood for stability. I'll bring out my rifle, extend the stock and use Malin's AR directions to start drawing a bead on where I expect it to be. When I see the drone, I'll put it down.
  • Your AR is aglow with information, Jube. Windage, distance, velocity, even the effect the low humidity will have on your trajectory. You have a spot to aim for, and you'll get a signal when it's time to shoot. It's all about reaction times.

Let's see that Shoot roll. You've got Malin on your side, which gives you a Malin on My Side aspect you can tag for a Fate Point, if you need to, along with whatever else you can come up with, but the window is narrow, it's moving fast, and you'll have the tiniest fraction of a second to nail the shot. Static difficulty to Overcome is 5, and it will get the first Attack if you fail.

• imageJubilex

A slow breath out, then I squeeze the trigger, aiming for the internal core of the damned thing.

Shooting:
    (Rolled: 4df+4. Total: 3. Rolls: 0, 0, 0, -)
  • imageJubilex

I'll tag Malin on My Side, since she gives me those readouts and the heads up. I'll also tap my aspect for Haunted by Failure. I can't let Mat and the team die out here!

That's a 7.