[Fury] The Mixer (All 4.1)

edited September 2015 in Fury

August, Bon, Dog, SeaTac and Valentine,

After docking the boat at the old Navy yard, Tin-Girl took over the salvage project, organizing the Arrows and the boaters to strip the boat down to component parts. The barter on this thing is hefty, Dog. Ship-mounted weapons that will take trucks to move, engines, barrels of crude oil and buckets of coal, plus a hold full of crates of various loot and crap saved by the boaters. Looks like they pretty much collect anything and everything, even stuff you wouldn’t look twice at. Tin-Girl’s amazed at how they kept the thing running.

Bon, you found 2 stock of medical supplies, plus loads of machine parts that might help build out the infirmary. What’s the most surprising thing you found in their little med bay? EDIT: Also, Bon, what did you do for August and her injury. You know your sister could have healed her hand, but you?

During the strip down of the boat, Valentine, you found a trunk, ornate but sturdy, a bit smoke damaged. You recognized it from HM’s yacht from a previous visit, when you were negotiating for him to move to Safeco. In the trunk was a variety of dresses, some of them very old fashioned and beautiful, seem well cared for, except for the light smell of smoke. Nobody seemed to have much use for a trunk of old pretty things and they kind of figured that’s a “Valentine sort of thing,” but you discovered a false bottom in the trunk.

Valentine, did you open the false bottom right there in front of everyone, or did you keep the trunk to yourself?

The total haul would be four barter per PC if you move some of the heavy scrap you’ve found and turn it over at the market… little less if you just fill your pockets and leave the rest to the boaters and any locals who figure out there’s scrap for the taking.

Assuming you took it, how did you move the heavy scrap from the naval yard to market, about five miles to Pike or a little further to SafeCo? Which market did you go to with the haul?

-----------

We pick up four days after the big fight, at Yellowhouse. It’s always a good idea to let the gang unwind after a big thing, let everyone get their nerves under control in whatever way works for them. (Yellowhouse is the bar at Pike that the arrows frequent, owned and operated by an elderly couple). The Arrows are together, drinking and celebrating the big haul. Booze and drugs are passed around, music is kicking, and the gang is in a merry mood. At least most of them.

August, who begged off the party, did they tell you why?

SeaTac, did you invite anyone to this get-together?

Comments

I left the heavy scrap to the others. Willing to take a little cut, since Admiral's already paying me for the job, and I've just got two to worry about, not a whole posse.

I figure a party is called for, assume it'll also turn into something like a wake for the Arrow that was lost in the action... Marmaduke? This is part of the life, so I invite Joey, tell him to bring Hope along if she wants to come.

Vignette,

Jax gave you a heads up that the Arrows returned, telling you that he "figured you'd want to know". It's been a few days now. When do you arrive? Are you alone?

I stand too quickly when Jax announces that the Arrows are back. I try to cover this by crossing to the credenza and pouring myself a glass of water. "We should go see what has kept them, and why so many have come to Yellowhouse." I normally see just a few Arrows at Pike together. Sometimes just one in particular.

I would love to go over to Yellowhouse alone. Jax seldom agrees to let me go anywhere without a retinue. He says it is necessary for appearances and for safety. I am more sympathetic toward the former. He is just trying to do his job, and he is good at it. For his benefit, I bite my tongue and avoid reminding him that I used to travel alone from Safeco to Pike, thank you very much, and I can certainly cross the street by myself.

At any rate Suquamish is not going to let me out of her sight anytime soon, and I welcome Jax's being there as proof against my killing her in a fit of irritation. I need to drink my False Home soon, so she can run off to Harbormaster and dutifully report it.

In the end, I arrive at Yellowhouse shortly after Jax notifies me of their arrival, and with just Jax and Suquamish in tow. There was not much argument about this. Jax is, after all, not eager to have people witnessing the familiarity between the Arrows and the Mistress of Pike, much less the familiarity that exists with one specific Arrow.

• edited September 2015
    Chance begged off. She seemed still sorta shook by how bad Marmaduke was doing. And I caught her looking out the window towards Grindhouse. After some teasing, got her to admit she wanted to go see Queen Anne.

So she left. I made her promise to send a few of the Grindhouse folks over to Yellowhouse though: Riesling got along well with the Arrows and Badger knows all our songs.
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

That was four days of some solid as hell work. We managed to tow the big scrap with multiple bikes, stuff chained and platformed together. It was slow and ugly but I've seen slower and uglier. We took it to Pike, that little bit of distance meant a whole splashing lot.

SeaTac brought Joey, which is great because I haven't seen him enough in the last couple weeks. "How's digs up in SafeCo with SeaTac, Joey? Is it real different?"

I'm kicked back in a chair, relaxing and snacking on whatever Yellowhouse has on offer. Not really getting lit up, not yet at least.

Dog,

Joey
    Joey comes up the stairs, behind SeaTac. When you ask him about SafeCo, he offers a little nod, moves over to your chair. "It's different. Cold at nights, but a comfy place to sleep. Been learning lots of stuff, not just fighting. I'm a cadet. It's important." He adds the important part with a touch of pride, looks over at SeaTac. "Sorry about Duke. She was good people."

All,

Hope comes up the stairs after Joey. She looks around at everyone, her face neutral. She offers a nod to most of the Arrows, meets eyes with Ace, who's still pale and weak, but insisted on coming, but doesn't go to her sister. Instead, she walks over to you, August, her walk light like she's made of air. Her eyes are slightly unfocused, a wan smile on her face.

Hope
    "Hello, August," she says in her soft voice, barely audible over the music playing. "I heard you were hurt. Are you going to be okay?" She glances down at your hand. You catch Ace sitting up on the picnic table where she'd been lazing until she saw her sister.

What do you do?

Vignette,

You caught sight of Hope, Joey and SeaTac heading up to the roof of Yellowhouse to join the Arrows. It's getting pretty lively up there. You actually see Suquamish look interested in that. Jax, of course, has that hard look of concern. Lots of variables. Anything you say to them before you join the party? What kind of entrance do you make?
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

I gesture toward some food while Joey tells me how he's doin'. He sounds pretty happy, I like that. Not like little kid happy, either. Guess I can't ruffle his hair no more. "Thanks, Joey. Duke was real good, we'll miss her."

I keep my eye on Ace and Hope. Hope prob'ly doesn't know her sister almost died this week. Oh ugh, Suquamish is here. What the flood.

Dog,

A scowl crosses Ace's face when her own sister obviously snubs her, heading to August, not even acknowledging her. Cujo sees this, and she's probably going to confront Hope, and she isn't much on patience, as you know. Then, with Suquamish, you see Vignette coming up, too. Cujo does, and her eyes widen in surprise, but she looks away. Cujo just heads over to sit by Ace, give her sister support. Cujo doesn't even acknowledge Vignette's entrance, but you can tell she's aware of the Witch of Pike.
  • edited September 2015

photo BonBannerSmall_zpsnuhliemn.jpg

Indeed, had it been Nee would have held the fingers in their rightful place and flesh bone and nerve would knit. I thought of it bitterly as I looked at the digits that I had no hope of reattaching to the lovely hand they belonged to. Upon close examination it was simply beyond my skill. The desecration that had been wrought would stand.

However, I had, once upon a time, worked with the artificer of the Medecai. With some modest assistance of a skilled craftsman I made new fingers for her. Fingers not as dexterous as the original, nor as beautiful, though I insisted that we try.

They were utterly inadequate, but at least somewhat functional. The failure turned my thoughts dark and my words spare, though it has not kept me from the pile. I glean comfort now from the soft crush of bodies. It surprised some, as I had not tended toward the pile, even before. Shy is nearly rapturous that we have returned to it. She has not commented on my own change of habit, though we are rarely in the pile at the same time, one or the other of us having to tend the infirmary. Mox has not made a comment and still presses against me in his sleep. When I have left he either follow on or cuddles against Laika, who I think misses her own son a little.

The supplies are welcome and the parts promising. The most surprising thing was a book, and not just any book but a book from the Medicai library. I cannot imagine how the boaters came about such a thing. It is encoded, of course, and I have not had time to sit and determine which of the 72 keys will decipher it or what knowledge lies within it.

The pain in my legs has diminished to a dull ache and I no longer have to think too hard about walking normally. But I am glad of the chair I am in, sitting quietly near Dog, as I have been on my feet every waking moment for days. I now watch Ace too, as she is still recovering. A head injury is not so easily shaken off. I absently stroke the bandage on my arm, where new names have been inscribed, as I debate whether to intervene. Particularly if Cujo is going to get confrontational.

• edited September 2015

August,

You've healed to 6 o'clock. Bon fussed over you and insisted on it.

Bon,

You've haven't healed at all. you should be better, but you're a horrible patient.
  • edited September 2015

Before we proceed to the roof, I turn to Jax and Suquamish, focusing more on Suquamish as a way to wordlessly tell Jax that I am not concerned about his judgment. "Do not mistake our place here," I say, hoping to take some sting out of it by including myself. "We are guests here tonight--uninvited ones at that. This is a Vignette visit, not a Witch of Pike visit."

What kind of entrance do I make? It is more Vignette and less Mistress of Pike, much less Witch of Pike. I ascend the stairs with just Jax and Suquamish, and linger at the periphery of the gathering. I am uncomfortably aware that people sometimes find this creepy, but I do not mingle well--the product of years of not belonging anywhere, of people finding my most attractive quality my frequent absence. The Witch of Pike is not like that, but she is a skin I wear when I need to. These are friends, or as close as I have to that, so the Witch of Pike is not in attendance.

Not since the pile have I been in the same room with so many Arrows at once, and never after such an event, the shape of which is slowly becoming clearer. I close my eyes, my head tilted to the sky and arms slightly outstretched, as I let my mind drift across them, warmed by the familiarity of their minds, exhilarated by their recent victory, and stung by their grief for one lost.

I sense August before I see her--not just her own mind, but her presence in the minds of the others as well. I am nearly bowled over with relief at her safe return...though I sense she is not whole and a sadness lingers there.

Dog is similarly easy to spot with my eyes closed. She is the center of a network of lines of consciousness--a sort of inflow of respect and deference and outflow of protective vigilance. There are other lines between Dog and August and Bon that are not my business.

I can sense Cujo as well. My mind flows around hers like a rock in a stream as I keep my promise to myself not to read her thoughts. I can tell only from the swirls and eddies in the stream that she is aware but does not approach. I feel a pang of rejection and a momentary and unwelcome stinging behind my closed eyelids. I breath deeply and wait for the sensation to pass. It is hardly the first time a friend was unwilling to acknowledge me in public.

Situational awareness is a habit that's hard to break. It's probably obvious that I'm always scanning, watching for threats and things out of place. That doesn't mean I can't relax some. One-Eye could drink until he passed out and still somehow knock you down if you tried to sneak up on him. Eyes in the back of his head, always open. I might not be quite like that, but close enough.

All that's to say, I have a drink in my hand a few seconds after I get there. I sidle over towards Dog and the food. "Good to see your crew relaxing, Dog. They're hell in a fight, but it's always nice to see how things are, after the shots are fired."
  • edited September 2015
    I see the way Hope's decision makes ripples through the Arrows. But is it a snub or just a slightly easier choice? Everyone knows I'm quicker to forgive than Ace.

I pull Hope in a hug. I'm in glad rags. Lots of gauze, feathers and clacking wood bangles. And knives, of course. When we separate, I show her my hand: the clever fingerless glove that Bon and Shy made for me and the two shiny steel fingers emerging from the leather. Then I take it off and show her the still-healing amputations. I shrug as I put the glove back on. "C'est la vie."
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

"Hey, SeaTac. It's good to be relaxing, you know? Been two steady floodin' weeks of trouble, I'm glad we pushed through. Glad you're not missing out on this, too." I reach out for a fistbump from SeaTac.

As I lean back in my chair again I spot Vignette. She can be a wallflower a little bit but this is a party and..oh hey there's Scrogboy. Jax. Must still be around for a reason.

I look to my side, at Bon. It's been good to have her and Mox and Shy back in the pile, but truth be told if she doesn't dial it down soon I'm gonna be upset. Haven't had any time to make sure she's taking care of herself, till just today, really.

I return Dog's fist bump and glance toward the food, but don't figure I'm quite done yet. A soldier acknowledges losses. "You took loss, Dog. That's... well, I've taken my share." The entire Unit. Bon's sister, whose name I didn't even know until after. Plenty more. "Listen, I hate knowing that someone I was fighting on the same side with died and I don't know nothing about them. Give me something about Marmaduke. Is that right? Something that makes you smile."
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

"That's decent of you, SeaTac. Marmaduke was young, she didn't have the bitter some of us take on, you know? She had a silly laugh like she didn't care, and she could sleep anyplace! If the pile was too warm she'd be like, arms and legs off either side of a bench or against a bike or wherever." I take a long drink. "I feel like I didn't know her enough myself."
  • edited September 2015
    I leave Hope and come up behind Dog as she's talking, put my arms around and into her pockets from the back. "She had a horrific laugh," I correct with a little, sad smile. "But it didn't stop her from using it, thank the flood. She loved to hear about kids stories, and sometimes bugged Joey to tell her everything he'd heard from me on a given day. Ask him. And she had a bone-deep, unspoken love for a certain hat-wearing caffeine pusher we all know, that she will sadly never get to confess." I point a single finger at our dear Valentine.

I relinquish one of Dog's pockets to find my cup and raise it, voice carrying over the music, "To Marmaduke!" I nod to Belka when I see her sign the toast, drink when everyone is ready. "You woulda liked her, Tacky. She had a real steady hand too." I look SeaTac right in the eye to see if he'll protest the nickname.
  • edited September 2015

'Tacky?' Better than some, and a soldier doesn't pick his own handle. Floods, at least it's not 'Pyle'. Or seems so, the way One-Eye used to laugh and laugh. "A steady hand's a good thing. And an annoying laugh ain't much of a sin." I raise my glass, tilt it so a few sips fall out onto the flooring, then raise it again, high. Raise my voice too, to carry across the gathering. "We knew them, we'll remember them, and they will not be forgotten. To our fallen comrades!"
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

I smile at the correction, lean into August and smell her clean glad-ragged sorta smell. It's so nice to have her around again, I missed her.

With August and SeaTac I raise my glass. "To Marmaduke, who pointed forward, good and true, like a real Arrow!"
    Three toasts and my glass is empty. I slide it down the bar where it clinks with the others. "Get over here, woman," I say to Dog and then I'm pulling her away from SeaTac towards the little unofficial dancefloor, next to the the radio. I give Zeus the nod to turn up the volume. Over my shoulder, I toss back, "I'm coming for you and your mustache next, Tacky, so don't go far."

Then before Dog realizes it, I'm spinning her, leading just like Belka taught me.

All,

The Arrows all toast with Dog and SeaTac and August, several murmuring their approval and support.

Belka
    As the music kicks in, Belka stands up on her chair and yells, "Alright, you sods! It's time for some damn 6-Cup! Who's in? Who's in?" She jumps down and heads to a table, pulling out four glasses, two mugs, and a bigass six-sided die.

See the new custom move

What do you do?

I don't know Six-Cup, but I know drinking games. I'm in, but I look around to see who else is taking the bait. "I'm in, Belka. Wonder if any of these splashers are?" I give Dog a look, with a wink behind it.
  • edited September 2015

I watch Dog and Seatac quietly. Then shift and turn my watchful gaze out to the other arrows when August embraces Dog. I brush back at my hair awkwardly, it is an unfamiliar gesture. On a strange impulse I let it down from its tight knot. In the mirror fragment I looked the very image of Nee, who always wore her identical long, black hair loose about her shoulders. If the hairs I have pulled from my mouth are any indication, it is not a habit I will cultivate. But the change… well, everyone wants a change sometimes. Shy gaped. I think she forgets I am her mother’s twin.

In truth I am only partially here, already mentally probing the cipher and making lists of next steps to take in my various experiments. Reviewing important observations about my patients.

I am engaged again at the toast. I raise my glass with the others, though mine contains no intoxicants. Yet another rule I have never broken. Impairing one’s judgement on purpose is one of the most taboo of taboos.

August drags Dog off to dance, and I watch them go, observing the muddle within me. I stand on stiff legs about to speak to Seatac before Belka calls for 6 cup.

I stop, suddenly strongly tempted to take part, though it would be a slap in the face of my responsibilities. Like Seatac I look to see who else will commit, and marveling at my own desire.

photo Bon2_zps5vp0dh04.jpg
  • photo Valentine_zpssjfm5cvh.jpg

Anything that the former master of the Harbor would choose to hide in such a manner would scarce be advisable to reveal in a crowd. No; this thing I would open in private. But I laughed and pretended to appreciate the thought of receiving old, pretty things. It's better than being called out as old and pretty, I suppose. Dresses... perhaps a body is less ambiguous than one imagines. The craftsmanship is divine, I must admit. "They just don't make 'em like they used to," I proclaimed at the find back then, diverting with humor.

The state of the Yacht Club weighs on me. The rich scavenge from the boat will go a far piece on the road to improvement.

I've brought a bottle to this party, as one does. It's a harder sweet brown liquid from a case of bottles whose label long since rotted away, so I don't have a name for it. It tastes like smoked leather and honey, and kicks like anything. I savor it, placing bets with myself on who will ask for sharing. I've got a private flask tucked in my jacket, just in case.

I start when August calls out a would-be suitor, caught totally unawares. "Moi?" I question, a hand to my breastbone. "How now? How be it that no-one told me?"
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

"Whoop!" I grin at August and let her dance me around, abandoning my drink to the table. I keep up, guessing what's next, moving to the beat, all smiles. I don't let us get tangled, trusting August to point me right and feeling her hands, her arms, that lead me on. "You look real good tonight, all your best stuff, and your best you."

I catch SeaTac's eye. Six-Cup'll be fun when this is done.
  • edited September 2015
    I relinquish Dog when the song is over and make sure SeaTac knows that my eyes are on him -- he may has escaped dancing for now, but Six Cup doesn't last forever. Unless you drink all six of course, in which case I may be fooled after all.

"You owe me a dance as well," I say to Bon as I whisk past her on my way to Val, taking both zir and zir question in hand.

"She wanted to tell you herself. Don't you remember how she'd hang around the Yacht Club after the other Arrows'd gone?" I make Valentine swing me around to whatever song comes next.

All,

Belka waves away Hachiko and Tin-Girl from their picnic table and sets up the glasses. She very dramatically holds up a fifth of vodka, sets it down. Then she holds up a jug of "shine" that she probably picked up at market. Pike shine is wicked stuff, some folks use it for cleaning metal. Rainey brings over a pitcher of Yellowhouse beer, sudsy and yellow, and puts it on the table.

Grunge
    Bon, Grunge catches your eye, then looks over to the 6-Cup, "Hey, Bon. You wanna play? It'll be fun!" She looks like she might come over and pull you in, unless you wave her off.

SeaTac, you notice Joey's headed over to chat with Laika near the edge of the rail. She looks back at you a few times, then hugs him.

Ace is staring daggers at Hope, who moved on from August to chat with Zeus for a bit. Cujo is staring at Hope, too, but Vignette, you catch her looking over at you a few times.
  • edited September 2015

All,

Yellowhouse Roof

The people in this scene on the roof of Yellowhouse at this very moment:

Arrows:
    Dog, August, Bon
    Belka, Laika, Zeus
    Tin-Girl, Hachiko, Cujo
    Ace, Rainey, Winn Dixie

Pikers:
    Vignette
    Jax
    Suquamish

Not-Pikers:
    Valentine
    SeaTac
    Joey
    Hope
    Grunge

Arriving soon:
    Chance and several of August's followers
  • photo BonBannerSmall_zpsnuhliemn.jpg

Caught flat-footed by August’s assertion I glance over and Grunge. A familiar anxiety shows itself. If I must dance with August, perhaps I will have some… insulation. Or perhaps I will avoid it all together.

I bite my lip, making my decision, then smile at Grunge, nod and step toward the game.

• photo Dog3recolor.png

After the song, I stride up to Belka's Six-Cup table, whistling long at the sight of the Pike 'shine. That is a rotting dangerous thing to add to Six-Cup. Now, I like the way Belka explains the rules, so I lead up and give 'er my rube voice. "Gosh, Belka, I soakin' forgot how to play!" I reach for somethin' with a smirk.

"August, I'll take you up on a dance after I show these people how a real soldier drinks." I start heading over to the table when I catch Laika's look. Really want to catch up with her later, tell her what a great kid she has.

I call out to Grunge. "Hope you're ready for a challenge!"
  • edited September 2015

All,

It looks like Dog, SeaTac, Belka, Grunge, and Bon are playing 6-cup. Anyone else who joins in, say so. If no player jumps in by the first round, I'll insert a couple NPCs.

Belka
    Belka stands with her back to the red rood of the adjacent building like a hawker at Pike Market. She gestures to the four cups and two mugs. Valentine, one of those mugs is the one you picked out for Belka, a while back. What's on it?. Then, she holds up the Pike shine and the alcohol bottle to show them to all of you. "Alright, you soakers. This here is the best Arrow game around. It's called 6-cup." She puts down the alcohol by the pitcher of beer, turns the cups around so you can see the numbers that have been scrawled on each one, "There are six cups, each is numbered. Ima hand each of you a cup, and you fill it up with whatever you like from the table here, then put it back down. Next, I choose who goes first. That'll be Bonny, of course." She gives you a big grin. "Since she's a virgin. On 6-cup."

Grunge snorts a laugh at that, then holds her mouth like she spoke out of turn. Tin-Girl titters, and Zeus guffaws, then the other Arrows chuckle or laugh, all good-natured stuff. "Bonny will roll this here die!" Belka pulls a big six-sided yellowed die from the table and shows it to all. "Whatever number comes up, you gotta drink from that cup. the whole thing. Then, you get to fill it up with whatever's left from the table. We play until nobody can fill their empty cup.... or until only one person can actually fill a cup. Which, of course, is gonna be me." She gives you a defiant look, SeaTac, then looks around. Laughter continues, nervous stuff. Grunge is gritting her teeth.

Belka holds up a hand to regain attention. "As we go, Ima ask you a question or two. You gotta answer it honest, no lying in 6-Cup! Besides, it's fun to say what's what among your sisters and friends. And this time, Ima add a new rule. When I'm drinkin', one o' you can ask one o' the other 6-cupper a question, and they gotta answer it honest. Thatta way, everyone gets to share and care and whatnot!" Catcalls from Hachiko on that one, of all people.

After a moment, the music and light chatter is all that can be heard around here. Belka looks to each of you, "Any questions? If not, get to rolling, Bonny!"

-------------------------------

When you play 6-cup with Belka, roll +Hard
    First, no matter what you roll, Belka gets to ask your drunk ass a question. You have to answer it honestly, because she's really good at choosing the best possible time to ask it. The best part, the question is asked out loud, so anyone who isn't passed out gets to hear your answer!

On a miss, well, that's awful! You lost, and you got sick. Booo
    On a 7-9, choose two
    * You get to ask any other 6-cup player a question
    * You get +1 Forward with Belka
    * You get +1 Forward on 6-cup
    * You made some money! +1 jingle
    On a 10, you actually won 6-cup! You're the new reigning champ. Switch your name with Belka and the move is now yours.

Let's see some roll+Hard from you three!

Rolling 6-Cup Skillz

(Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 5, 1. Total: 9)

I'll take +1 Forward with Belka and 6-Cup. Haven't drunk enough to ask questions yet.
  • edited September 2015
    photo Valentine_zpssjfm5cvh.jpg

The tune is something with bass and violins, upbeat and bright. August is pure delight on the dance floor. (I'm no slouch, mind you.) It feel good to lead her in some circles and fancy moves, all steps she knows easy as breathing. "Fool be me, I thought Duke wanted a job. She never looked moon-eyed..." We take a few big more sweeping steps, spinning as dervishes. "If you know anyone else who has romantic designs on a person, you should let a body know." I cock an eyebrow and give her a look like girrrrrl.

I see Belka has her stout mug. It can hold six splashloads of potable, plus makes a handy improvised bludgeon when the need arises. I think she puts notches on it whenever she cracks a skull. Looks like this, by the by:

Except she's burned a number one into the side for her game.

• photo Dog3recolor.png

Rolling to see if I horf at 6-Cup, marking XP; (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 6, 4. Total: 12)

*Rolling for six cup. XP=4

(Rolled: 2d6. Rolls: 4, 1. Total: 5)

• edited September 2015
    "Point taken," I say. For a moment, as Valentine swings me, I have my eyes closed and I'm missing Marmaduke so badly it hurts. Then I open them and I'm smiling and trying to ignore the tear running down my cheek. Maybe Val won't see it.

When the song finishes, I push Val towards the game. Zie should drink a little. Let loose.

I drift towards Vignette, carefully avoiding looking at Suquamish. My eyes glance up and down Jax, find him wanting but not offensive to my vision. "Glad to see you here, Vee. I was hoping to ask you for a favor." I think back to the circumstances under which I saw her last. "Another favor," I amend. "Although you seem to have done fairly well after the last one I asked of you."
  • edited September 2015

I flush a moment when Belka says I’m a virgin looking at me with those hot eyes of hers. She amends the statement immediately, teasing me.

I raise my chin and step up to roll, hoping for the mildest of the drinks to start. But of course I roll the Pike Shine cup.

I stand there and look at it a moment, thinking how much of an idiot I am. Someone steps forward, like they’re going to bail me out of the commitment but I glare, straighten and pick up the Pike shine. Hold it up for everyone to see. I close my eyes and drink it down.

It’s disgusting. It burns. And my head suddenly feels like it’s been hit with something heavy. My stomach twists and the world is less steady and far far to warm.

I lean against the table and try to breathe.

I catch the tear of August with my thumb and wipe it away. "I hope that's not for me, love."

I steal kisses on both cheeks when she's done with me. I watch her dance for a moment before I approach the table. Bon looks a bit green. "You should really mind your imbibing, o Bon." I touch her on the back, a steady presence for one in their cups.. for one in their cup.

"Got room for me, Belka my poppy?" Smile number four, slight.
  • edited September 2015

“I am well enough.” I say, breathy and unsteady. “How does anyone drink that?”

• edited September 2015

Valentine,.

Belka
    Belka matches your smile and nods dramatically, "You're after Dog, Val. Happy to have the Maestro'D of the swankiest bar around at our game! No cheating, mind you." Belka's warning is playful.

Make that Hard roll, Valentine.

"Furshlugginer dice," I grumble good-naturedly."If only SeaTac would have a deck of cards, we could do some proper gambling." He gets a dazzling smile number two. I never did thank him properly, did I?

I heft the thing in my hand, judging it before I roll.
  • [OOC: Custom move, roll+hard, marking XP.]

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 5, 3. Total: 9)

• [OOC: Valentine gets an advance.]
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

I chuckle and wipe my mouth on my sleeve after drinking my roll. I can only tell which number is 1 because that's simple plus it's always on Belka's big mug. Every other number on the dice, it's like wrestling a snake with my eyes, I can't make it work. But someone has mercy on me, calls it out, I count back from Belka's mug and drink my drink.

I put an arm over Bon's shoulder. "We drink it with a swear on our lips and tears in our eyes." I grin at her.

I open my eyes again. It makes it easier to ignore thoughts and tangled strands of consciousness between people. I know from experience how those sometimes flash and burn when people are blowing off steam, recovering from seeing Death too near and reevaluating each strand that binds them to another. It is not just rude, but dangerous as well to get pulled too far into any mind's journey through that.

As my eyes open, the image of August gliding toward me coalesces with the image in my mind. I wonder if she can feel the heat of all the connections to her, wonder if she can feel their weight.

When she asks for a favor and mentions the consequences of the last one, I smile and say, "I think control of Pike covers the first favor. Your safe return is easily worth another. What can I do for you?"

I lead Vignette away from her entourage as the music changes to a more languid tempo. If she is hesitant, I make sure to guide her steps. I feel a tingle behind my temple and know she's tasting my thoughts -- when she opens her eyes, I gently close them again, show her the dance in my mind's eye. And then we are separating, but still dancing in unison.

"It's not really what you can do for me, exactly. But I am pleased to hear your value my return. There is much within Pike that is valuable to me. I'd hate to hear we bore any bad blood between us." I stop speaking as I spin her, dip her backwards carefully. A small smile at her graceful motion, the marble white of her exposed neck. "Have your lackeys told you about the haul we've brought in from the harbor?"
  • edited September 2015

August takes me completely by surprise, pulling me out on the dance floor. It is such a part of her--like she is dancing even when her body is not--that I overlooked her intention to pull me in. I am more than a little hesitant. Is this the favor? I have never danced--really never. I do not know the first thing. I am panicking a little, reaching out to her reflexively with my mind. Gently, August closes my eyes and shows me the dance in her mind. My body is not hers though. Knowing is not doing. Except...

I have made puppets of others. I have never strung the threads in reverse...until now. I let August's mind control my body, string us together so that my actions mirror hers, my body moves with her grace. It is imperfect--my body is not hers--but there is a beauty to it beyond anything I could achieve myself. It is exhilarating to be dancing as her. I wonder if this is how August feels always.

She asks about the haul that is the seed of this party. "Yes, Jax told me," emphasizing his name slightly in gentle rebuttal to the word "lackey". "He has, in fact, pointed out that gangs pay a percentage to Pike to trade their goods here." I let that hang, not offering her my response to him.

"Jax," I repeat. An acknowledgement. A little turn, a sway. Vignette is following perfectly.

"Well, the haul wasn't all we brought back. We brought back some people. Five and ten of them." I raise our hands up high so that there are just inches separating our lips. Then my fingers fall downward, against both sides of her face, her arms, back to her waist. "Will you care for them? For me?" It comes out breathy, like a coquette. And I think I surprise myself -- am I drawn to the witch? It puts a smile on my face. I kiss her neck, then look over her shoulder at Cujo and flick my hand with its metal fingers in a quick sign ::I think I understand now.::

Before she can reply, I go on. "They need to be watched, I'm sure, but they will be grateful for dry land and food. They will be loyal to the only Mistress of Pike they've ever known. And -- in exchange -- I will work your victory banquets instead of the Admiral's." One more spin and dip before the song ends -- then I'm looking Vignette right in the eye, panting slightly from the exertion. "What do you say?"
    Manipulating Vignette.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 5, 2. Total: 10)
  • edited September 2015

I reach into the thigh pocket of my BDUs (actually, the label just said "cargo pants" when we salvaged the load back in the day) and grab a pack of cards. Kept a few back from the load at the casino. Toss the pack to Valentine, still sealed. "Lot of waiting, in my line of work." I think about winking, but last time I did that someone ran away. It's not my best facial expression.
  • edited September 2015

"Yes," I blurt out, looking up at August, panting in unison with her. From exertion. The dancing. Her eyes. The phantom warmth where her lips touched my neck. I am glad that she offered to work banquets for me. I am afraid I could not have said "no" right now in any case. This, at least, is a reason I can give Jax. He might be displeased if I said, "She surprised me, kissing my neck and looking into my eyes like that."

I am still strung to her, and I wonder how dangerous that could be. Now that the dance is over, and I only have to do things that my own feet are able to do, I pull my mind back from hers. I feel a little pang of remorse. I might never be that graceful again or that close to her again. I imagine this may be what everyone feels at the end of one of her performances.

Marking XP (4) for being manipulated.
  • edited September 2015
    "Oh, splendid," I say, with genuine warmth and I kiss her again, this time almost chastely upon the lips. "We will talk later, but for now, there is someone else you should dance with." I point her towards Cujo and give a little nudge.

I make sure that she doesn't just flee back to her people. Then I see the state of Bon and move to check on her when Valentine takes zir place at Belka's table.
  • edited September 2015

Dog,

Belka
    As you're drinking through the third round, Dog, Belka asks you, "Sooooo, Dog, what's it gonna take for Grunge to become an Arrow? She's done right by us, yeah?"

Bon, you're barely through the second round and that Pike shine is still burbling in your tummy. Before you leave the table to throw up, Belka asks, "Bonny, why did you come back to the pile?"

Valentine, you're draining your fourth glass when Belka queries, "Valley, you sexy thing. Are you just a flirt or what? I've heard about you having eyes for folks, but never hooking up. Who's the apple of your eye right now?"

Lastly, SeaTac. You're on the eighth round of drinks, and things are getting woozy when Belka asks in a drunken slur, "Tacky, man. Did you take up Joey to get an in with the Arrows? OR just one Arrow? Or what? Inquiring minds wanna know..."

Belka also asks Grunge a question, I'll slip that into another post.
    August kisses me lightly–this time not surprising me–then nudges me toward Cujo. I turn to fade from the dance floor–I cannot dance, not without August pulling my strings. August stops me, blocks my path and gives me a stern look. Coward flits across my mind, though I do not know whether it came from August or from me. I could leave the floor anyway–I am the soaking Witch of Pike, I can do what I want. But she is not here–Vignette is here. I turn back to Cujo. My lips still tingling from August’s kiss, I walk across the dance floor to her. I watch her eyes watching my lips as I say, “I am glad you are back.” I look at the bruise on her jaw, the cut over her eye, the scrapes across her knuckles. “I had a vision… I might have worried–if we did that, and if I thought the vision was even remotely possible. But the stories I have heard since you returned…I think maybe the reality was worse than the vision.”

I'm beside Bon, ready to take her aside and hold back her hair. Belka's question to her catches me off guard, although maybe not as much as it does Bon?
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

My guts are feeling pretty mellow, which is more than I can say for poor Bon..I'm glad August has her back on this. I glance down my cup at Belka while she asks about Grunge. I been thinkin' about this, too. We have an empty seat, and I could give it to Grunge, who's proven herself, or I could give it to Shy, who has history with us. Eh, Shy needs to get seasoned yet. Let her practice with Soundy's bike till she's back on her feet. Best to start Shy with a hover and not a grounder, keep her reflexes pure on it.

"Flood, Belka, she's in. Give her the ride talk and see if she's gotta settle anything with her stuff or her people." The ride talk is the second most important rules of being an Arrow; showin' up for rides (mostly), covering another Arrow's back when she asks (and sometimes when she doesn't), and telling people where you're going with your bike (especially when you're new). The H-bikes are rare, we guard 'em jealously, and when you get one it's your own while you're in, but before that and after that it belongs to the gang.

Marmaduke died on a ride, so her bike is marked with a red arrow in paint that we'll peel off someday. When it's right.

I smile back at Dog. Something very warm and fuzzy in my head for her around the queasy feeling in my gut.

The second round is mildly better than the first, which is to say not much, with my brain wrapped in a big warm fuzzy thing. Though my stomach still rebells. I try to focus on Belka’s question. Her voice seems far away. August is right there next to me and she… smells good.

“The pile?” I say. Then make a face at the feel of my tongue. Odd… I have never attempted speach with a numb face. Even my eyeballs. “The pile?” I say again pausing to get a grip on my thoughts which have become slippery with both drink and intoxicating presences.

“Well… Leaving didn’t…it did not work. I left ’cause… cause… Nee. She flooding left me, right? I help her get away, I go with her… all we have is each other and she flooding makes me… leaves me alone… and her babies too.”

I glace at Seatac, feeling bad. My face is hot. Moist too.

“That raider fight… months ago. Nearly lost a bunch of you.” I look at August who is too damn close, then Dog who isn’t much better. “Realized how much… you meant to me. And that fight was so… bloody stupid. I got scared. And… angry. Like… It was like Nee all over again.” I shrug “So I left.” Then I snort through the tears. “Told myself it was to keep the children safe. But it was for me, really. But it did not matter. It did not change anything. I realized how foolish it was. All I was doing was hurting myself. I still loved the Arrows. I still loved…”

I trail off, running directly into that murk I have been avoiding. I’m standing stock still between Dog and August.

With a violent twist, my stomach finally rebels and I lurch for the railing behind me. I do not make it, instead stumbling, burned legs hitting the floor, which hurts, and loosing my stomach’s contents on the floor.

• edited September 2015
    I go down beside Bon, help her to her feet and away from the mess. To the railing in case there's any more where that came from. Wipe her face with my sleeve. ::Water:: I sign to Zeus, and then bring the glass to Bon's lips when Zeus hands it to me.

"There's a reason I don't play 6-cup, you know," I say with a smile. I'm including both the sick belly and the fit of honesty in my smile. No judgement here.

I'm about to answer Belka's question (it's the rules) when Bon spews out her truths and her supper. As I watch August nursemaid the medico, I guess I change the answer some. Still truth, just a deeper one.

"Don't know how many of you know what, but I was the death of Nee. Me, a stranger with violence written on his face and hands, and she gave and gave to save me until she was all used up. Bon hated me for that, and I never blamed her." I look down at my cup, wish it wasn't empty. "After, I'd do what I could. Leave things for Mox, supplies for the clinic, bits of jingle to help the work. Never enough, and I tried to make sure she never knew it was me, so she wouldn't just toss it all out."

"Came the day I was up in my sniper's nest at Safeco, Harbormaster in my sights because the Admiral was paying me to wait for a signal. You get time to think, a position like that, and the 'never enough' came to the front of my head." While the Unit came to the back, but I won't say that. "I'm the last. The last ever trained the way I was trained. Not just in killing, but in looking, a kind of discipline, a way of thinking. Occurred to me that maybe I could pass some of that on, leave something behind."

I look to see if Laika's listening. This is Joey's story, too. "Mox wasn't right. Too good at Bon's work, too suited for it, but keeping an eye on Mox meant I got to see Joey and some of the others. Joey had all the tools already, just needed 'em sharpened, so I came to Laika and asked." I could stop there, truth told and more truth than needed already. "Best decision I've ever made. Teaching reminds you the 'why's, not just the 'how's. I'm better now than I've ever been. Not 'better' like better at what I do, but better, like... getting up in the morning ain't just habit."

Gates,

It's early evening when you and Quepasa start up the steps to the roof of Yellowhouse. The music is playing loud and there's chatter from many voices, laughter, the sound of dancing. It's pretty exciting. Except for Quepasa, of course. She looks dour and disinterested.

How did you convince her to come along?
  • edited September 2015

I am misery itself. August comes and helps me up and to the rail. I know ’tis her without looking. She wipes my mouth before I can protest at her befouling her pretty clothes with my bile. The world swaying as I look over the rail tells me I am still very drunk. The water helps some, gets the nasty taste out of my mouth after I spit.

“Indeed. I am a ridiculous creature.” I reply, shakily, glancing over briefly, then back out at the street. “I have always held myself apart from everyone. Fight, party or pile. Never accepting. Foolishness it was. Foolishness. Arrogance. Selfishness.”

I pause, hearing Seatac’s story. Glad that he has found something.

“I did not hate him, though it seemed so even to me.” I say quietly. “I was angry. He was just a target of convienience.” I sigh. “How many times have I wished it had been me that night.”

• edited September 2015
    "I have never wished it was you," I say simply. I don't varnish the truth for her. "Nee was a bright star -- blinding -- but bright stars always flare and go out eventually. If it'd been you that day, it wouldn't change that. We just would've lost both of you."

When I think of what else she's said, about the pile, then I say, "You are a wondrous creature of many principles. Every Arrow knows that, even if they don't tell you. You make things harder for yourself, but I think that is part of why you are so precious to us. You always fly true."

I am talking a lot for someone not telling a story. Bon's regard has always made me self-conscious, more than anyone else's. I shut my mouth.

I smile at QuePasa's sourpuss face. Course, I didn't really need to convince her. I jus' said I was going to go check out this here gathering I heard about, say "hi" to a few folks, and she insisted on comin'. I'm significantly older than her, but I often feel like she's an overprotective mother hen to me. Not that I mind. QuePasa's the best companion a little chick like me could hope fer, I imagine.

Anyway, when we arrive, I look around and turn to her, sayin' "Why don't we go say hi to Vignette. I have somethin' to thank her fer." My eyes also fall on Bon. "Wouldn't mind catchin' up with Bon, either, but she's lookin' a little, uh... preoccupied right now."

All,

Several Arrows and others call greeting as Gates arrives on the rooftop, with QuePasa in tow. Looks like he's headed over to you, Vignette. Cujo looks away, hasn't answered you, since she knows you don't sign and she doesn't talk aloud in front of most people.

• photo Dog3recolor.png

Bon falls to pieces on us and it's stunning. I remember that battle, too, I...kinda made a splash of it and at the end I was whistlin' and not through my teeth, either. A bunch of what she said I suspected, kinda, in the way you can't ask. I've always been scared of Bon bein' mad at me, too. We gotta talk when she's sober. When I'm sober.

I pat SeaTac on the back. That's a bunch of true words, and I like him more now than before. "Feels good to have a reason, don't it? When you know what it's like with and without, man, life is different."

I get the die for 6-cup and hold onto it, holding up a finger to Belka to wait. In one motion I get peeled out of my jacket, which feels fun, so I know I'm lit up now. I lean over and hand it to August in case she needs it or Bon needs it. "Bon, she's right. You've got something we can all trust."

Then I toss the die and as I'm picking up my drink I spot Gates. That old man! What's he doing here? I mean I ain't mad, but it's been a long time since I seen him last.

August and Dog,

Not that it's as important as what's going on with Bon, but so it's noted. Grunge's reaction to "being in" is a sharp in take of excited breath, followed by looking around at the other Arrows. She seems to realize she should play it cool, so she keeps quiet. Hachiko comes up from behind her, gives her a hug. Rainey follows suit, then they're pulling her away from Belka and the 6-cup table.

August, what are Arrow hazing rituals? What will happen to Grunge the first night?

This is a strange spot for me. Telling more truth than's strictly-speaking called for. Like standing up straight in the middle of a field that ain't even got tall grass for cover,and for a second Dog's hand on my back feels like a bullseye. Instinct says to drop, move to a new position, get out of sight.

Then I catch a glimpse of Vignette, realize that she could easy know what's going through my head and understand how stupid it is. Drizzle, she probably does know, which bothers me less than it used to. I breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, then say, "So, Belka, you owe us a question, right? It's like you asked me about my motives... You getting Grunge into the Arrows so you can get some on the regular without having to leave the... pile?"

• edited September 2015

Cujo looks away and...I do not understand...she just looks away. I did not expect her to make a speech--I know she does not talk in front of others, and of course, I cannot read the Arrows' sign. And I guess I did not expect her to come over to me. It is fine that I was the one to go to her. But. Not a meaningful look, not a touch. Just turns away.

Of course. I understand now. The Arrows do not know that she and I... Well...there is nothing to know, really. Right? We had this brief thing. It is probably embarrassing to her, consorting with the Witch. After the things she said, though... But people say lots of things. It is fine. Probably people who have lots of friends, lots of...more than friends...probably they do not make assumptions, do not read so much into words or nights spent together. I just made more of her coming to see me at Pike than it was, because I am inexperienced and naive and unused to people willing to be alone with me. Maybe it was a dare, or just simple curiosity.

I feel my face turning hot, and to my relief, Gates is moving this way, giving me something to do that is neither being left hanging by Cujo, nor leaving in a huff. I turn from the table where Ace and Cujo sit and greet Gates and QuePasa. "Gates! I am glad to see you again," See, Cujo? I can be glad to see lots of people. I nod to QuePasa and take a step toward them. I see your 'turn away' and raise you a 'step away'.

Spider says I am being an insecure child. I do not think so. I am not making a scene. It is the only one who hears what I am thinking. I am allowed a little bitterness in the privacy of my own mind.

"Thank you again for your help with WotCee," I say to Gates with a smile. "I do not think WotCee and I will ever be friends, but maybe he at least no longer blames his mother, and I am less likely to get shot."

I smile broadly as Vignette says this. "Yeah, that's why I wanted to come by and say hi, Vignette. That kid was hurtin' and you did right by him. Like you said, not sure he's ever gonna forgive you, per se, but we gave him more than enough to think about and yer definitely safer fer now."

I glance at Cujo. Not sure what's goin' on there...

"So how have things been with you, lately, Vignette?"
  • edited September 2015

"I just got back from Safeco. Had some things to work out with the Admiral, which went really well from a Safeco-Pike perspective." I say, my voice brightening a bit. Then with a rueful smile, I add, "Less well from a Vignette-Admiral perspective." I take a deep breath feeling Cujo's presence behind me. Less well there too.

"How about you and the flock?"

SeaTac,

Belka
    "Hah," Belka scoffs at your question. "Shows what you know, soldier!" She takes a swig from her mug. Ever since Dog said Grunge was in, she's been getting quickly drunk. "There's no scrogging in the pile." With Grunge pulled away by Hachiko and Rainey, Belka continues talking like she doesn't think it'll get back. Or maybe she's too wasted to care. "It's what she wants. And as for scrogging, it's obvious she wants Dog. I mean, yeah, we take care of each other, but soak me, man. Have you seen the moon eyes she has for her?" She takes another drink. "It's the rot, you know? Hey, how comes Hope's here? You scrogging her?" Belka's tipsy enough to ignore her own game. It's clear Dog's got this one.

Can't a man do something for a reason other than scrogging? I shake my head. "Nah. She's been spending time with Joey. No, not scrogging him, either. But it seems to help her remember who she is, and Joey loves her like a sister. Invited her along."

I raise an eyebrow at Vignette. "Things not lookin' up for the admiral, eh? I'm not one to pry, but I wouldn't mind hearing the details of that."

I pause, glancing at Cujo again. Don't rightly know Cujo. Seems quiet. I wonder what's up?

"As fer the family, we've had a bit of an interestin' time. FortyFour was lost fer a bit, but we found 'im, which is good. Then some..." I turn to QuePasa like I'm lookin' fer the word, but just give up and go with what's easy. "...odd fella showed up to church, ranting about how we all don't deserve to be here, folks need to die and leave the earth. That sort o' nonsense. He tried to hit me with a rock, actually. I might be recuperatin' right now if Forty and QuePasa hadn'ta stepped in and helped out. Know anythin' about a fella like that?"
    “A rock?! Is everyone okay? I have not seen anyone like that, but I will keep an eye out for him.”

“As for the Admiral… He and I have history. I was there to negotiate a deal. I sort of ended up slapping him and accusing him of something terrible.” i pause for a moment, not sure I want to go on. Something about Gates draws me in, though. “The thing is, I am not as sure he is guilty. I mean, he must be–I have been sure for years, but…he seemed so genuinely surprised. I thought he always suspected that I knew. Have you ever worried that you have falsely accused anyone?” I stop myself, suddenly remembering the member of his flock that he had me interrogate.

SeaTac,

Belka
    There's a delayed reaction from Belka, like it takes a bit to process. "Haha, SeaTac, I know you don't scrog Joey, you're real good to him! I mean, why would Hope come here and rub it in Ace's face? That's just cruel, so I figured you'd bought her off HM or Admiral... or somethin'."
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

"Floodin' hell, Belka, you think she's got me on chase?" I'm still pouring steady and doing good on my feet. "She'll have a good life with the Arrows, ain't gotta be about that." Now, I think I've seen those moon eyes, but it's not happenin' anytime soon, not while she's angling into the gang or fresh meat or maybe ever. What is it with cute young girls likin' my bifur-halved face? I mean, I like it, but that's not the point.

I glance over at Hope, still chatting with Zeus, then back to SeaTac. "Good to see her, she looks like she's really here." I wave. "Wish she'd talk to Ace, though."

My eyes catch on the prosthetic mockery that adorns her hand. Nee could have saved the fingers, saved Marmaduke too. August means to make me feel better but my mood has slipped. My stomach though is settling, if not my head.

“You all esteem me overmuch.” I say, “ But I will try to be worthy of it.”

I step closer to Dog, talk lower. "Don't know all the history, but the girl's been treated like property for a long time. And after however long, passed along from Harbormaster to Admiral, who offered her up to me like a good boy treat. Had a talk with him about that, and it seemed to change his... attitude on the matter." I give Dog a look in the eye. "Seems to me, when something's broke, you don't ask it to fix itself. Maybe someone with a little bit in the tank to give should talk to Hope, instead of expecting her to fix that bridge on her own?"

I did what I could. Didn't have much to go on, but I gave her Joey, tried to help Admiral understand. Time to hand that over to someone else.

All,

Quick update on who's where right now

Yellowhouse Roof

Hope and Joey are chatting at the bar with Laika. Hope's ignoring Ace, she looks like she's having a good time, sipping water and relaxing. Zeus is also at the bar with Winn Dixie, but slightly apart. Zeus is keeping an eye on the young Winn Dixie who is still wounded.

Ace is at the picnic table she's never left (she's in pretty bad shape and shouldn't be here, but she's stubborn), and Ace is watching Hope, looking super pissed. Cujo's returned to sit by her, but Cujo is watching Vignette the whole time.

Rainey and Hachiko have Grunge at the lurker's table in the northwest corner. They're doing whatever hazing stuff they feel like.

Dog, SeaTac, Valentine, and Belka are finishing up 6-cup. Dog's won the game "officially", but a new round could start up if she wanted.

Bon and August are at the railing, Bon's talking miserably after getting sick, August is comforting her.

Vignette, (with Jax and Suquamish in tow) is chatting with Gates near the dance floor (QuePasa is with him, looking uncomfortable).

Tin-Girl's sitting on the round table closest to 6-cup, with her boots on one of the chairs. She's fiddling with a small carburetor she brought along.

Unanswered questions:
    August needs to tell us what first night hazing rituals the Arrows have in store for Grunge.
    Valentine needs to answer Belka's question about who ze fancies right now.

I have to take a half shot of my own drink after I empty one of their cups, like a mouth wash. "A body has very little time to oneself when operating an establishment such as the Yacht Club. Not that I couldn't swing a stick and hit a dozen regulars who think they'd dearly enjoy my charms." I gaze out at nothing in particular, looking mildly regal. Distant. "But you'd know who catches my eye. To be clear, there's not much I wouldn't do for Bon and August, but I know better than to lie with my friends. I've burned and been burned before. Ivar, too- one never shits where one eats... not that he's shit, of course! Mister Gates and Harbormaster are dangerously charismatic to me; I'm often on my guard with those two." A breath. "Runaround's cute. I definitely don't have time for a project."

This little speech isn't easy for me. I hope Belka's satisfied. I take another plug from my flask. I look around the assemblage. "Of course, I could nail any one of you to the bed and you'd not walk right for a week." Smile number three.
  • edited September 2015
    Hazing? I'm pretty sure to a one we think of it more of initiation rites. It changes sometimes though, depending on who's in charge and what Dog's feeling.

For me, it was like this: You get asked by Cujo, via Belka translating, if you really wanna be an Arrow. All your clothes get torn off, then your head gets shaved. Everyone sorta half dresses you back up with a bandanna or a jacket or something from themselves, something they don't expect back. Then you get blindfolded and you go on a really fast, dangerous ride on Dog's bike. And she asks you questions, tells you the rules again and makes you swear to all the stuff about being an Arrow. And when you come back, you're an Arrow, and no one can question your spot in the pile. And if you're me, you get ragged on because everyone knows you stopped to scrog the top Dog before you turned around to come back.

"Oh, Bon," I say, shaking my head at her with a smile, but not responding. Sometimes she gets stuck in things. Nothing I say will budge her. "I think you're ready for a dance now, just a little one."

I lead her to the dance floor, slowly but implacably. Then my arms are around her, pulling her against me. This is just gonna be a slow dance, a little rocking and swaying, me singing into her hair.
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

I nod quietly to SeaTac, tip my empty glass upside-down into Belka's empty mug, which swallows it right up. Nobody calls foul, so the game is mine. "Thanks for looking out for her. Now...she ain't some broken doll, SeaTac, she does have to want it. But I hear you. Gonna talk to her while I got the chance."

I keep Belka's mug and get 'er filled with water. If Belka makes any faces over it I make my own that says 'Shouldnt'a lost, I guess.'

First, before headin' to see Hope, I go visit with Zeus and Winn-Dixie. Zeus may be keepin' an eye out for Winn, but she's injured, too, the tough old bird. I pat shoulders and keep the talk small, just wanna take temperatures, check about healin' and ask Zeus if anyone's told Hope we almost lost her sister this week.

I try not to let Vignette's question register too much on my face.

Course I worry about that.

"I ain't one to defend the Admiral, Vignette, but I do trust yer judgement. You got a way o' knowin' people, and if you think maybe he's innocent, well, maybe he is. Even folks that're guilty o' lots o' things can be innocent on other counts, of course."

I pause and look at Jax and Suquamish. "How's yer growin' authority workin' out fer you?"
    "I do not know if he is innocent. I have thought for years that he killed…someone I cared about. Long ago, I wanted to believe that he had not, but I have not seriously considered that possibility for years. It was a childish hope. Now, I am not sure what to believe. I look at Gates earnestly. “You know–you remember how I can get information from people. Despite…everything…I think I could live with myself if things…went wrong interrogating him. Is that wrong? He is not a good man, regardless of whether he did this one thing, and I need to know what happened.”

He asks about my authority, looking at Jax and Suquamish. “I have some long term plans in motion, and I have made little things better. The Admiral, really, is a part of my long term plan. Jax is loyal, I think, and does not just tell me what I want to hear. Suquamish is Harbormaster’s and every bit as trustworthy as that sounds.”

Dog,

Zeus
    The old bird chuckles, "Shit, Dog, me an Winnie are fine, thanks for checking. I'll need her to walk me on back to the pile, gonna have an early night." Zeus says this, but you can tell, she's giving Winn Dixie a chance to beg off since the girl's in rough shape, just happy to be here like she earned a place. On the subject of Hope, Zeus shakes her head, "Nobody's mentioned Ace to her, and she aint asked."

What do you do?
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

"Awright, that's awful good of her. You holler when you're leavin'." I give Zeus a wink. When she gives me what's the what on Hope tonight, I make a noise and head over to the bar.

I barge in on Hope and Laika and Joey, play it more drunk than I am, limbs loose and spillin' off the stool juust so, eyes kinda big. "Hope, girl! I've missed you around - sorry I got to make growl face when I've been chattin' with Admiral and you were there. Been a rough month. You havin' fun? Whatchu been up to?"

All,

Rainey and Hachiko have finished "preparing" Grunge for her initiation, and now they're quickly cutting her clothes off, laughing about it, drawing attention. Cujo and Ace come over, as do Winn Dixie and Zeus. Cujo pours the last of her beer on Grunge, as a joke. Cujo gets a kick from Grunge for it, not a hard kick, but Grunge isn't some fainting daisy. Tin-Girl hops up from her table, and Belka's watching with interest, too.

Grunge is mostly obscured by the Arrows surrounding her, but you catch sight of her tummy, which is tight, with a few bruises from the fight. She's got ink over her heart, some kind of sword, or a knife or something.

Tin-Girl heads down to grab the clippers from her h-bike, and she passes Chance. Chance has a handful of folks from Grindhouse in tow, and she sees Grunge in the corner, the rest of the Arrows around her, and whoops excitedly and heads over to take part.
  • edited September 2015

Dog,

Hope
    The left corner of Hope's mouth quirks up a little at your antics, and she answers loud enough to be heard without over-talking the initiation, "Don't worry about earlier, Dog. I know your bark, and I know your bite, and which is which." She pulls her glass of water off the bar, turns to you and regards you with those eyes of hers, so soulful and so piercing, like the gray sky, when it comes out. "I'm, well, I don't know what I expected, coming here. It's just that, Joey and SeaTac have been real nice, and they both asked, so I thought, you know, why not?" She glances over at the Arrows, then back to you, does a sort of tiny frown.

Laika
    Laika puts a hand on Hope's shoulder while Joey looks on, worried. "Hope," Laika says in her motherly tone. "If you want something from them, you can't just show up and expect bygones. We were ready to shake Safeco down for you and you spit in Ace's face."

Hope
    Hope swallows, guilt crossing her color, hitting her eyes. "I know." She reaches a hand up to her forearm, a little defensive. "I know. I did that."

Was intending to head to Laika and Joey next, but seems like I pointed Dog at my own goal, and Tin-Girl, who'd be my next choice for palaver after the boat, is currently occupied. Looks like Vignette is in it with Gates, August and Bon are dancing...

I have a thought. Maybe a little, what, immature? But who cares. It's a party. I grin.

"Belka, seems to me that Val here's saying ze's not attached 'cause of the Yacht Club and all. And this here's not the Yacht Club, is it? Maybe you should take zir for a spin on the dance floor?" I grab one of the filled cups from the table, down it. Flood me, that tasted like gasoline.

SeaTac and Valentine,

Belka
    Belka was busy watching the thing with Grunge until you mentioned Val, and dancing. She grins wide and mischievous and looks at you, Valentine. "Well, hell, Tacky. That's a great idea. C'mon, Valley. I want to watch you move! And move on me all you want, because tonight, I'm unattached. I don't even have 6-cup anymore, hah!" She looks at you, SeaTac, "You know Dog took it this time, yeah? I think you'll get another shot though. You're a good one, despite the gender issue." She reaches for your hand, Valentine.

What do you do?
  • edited September 2015

"Well, Vignette, that is, indeed, a tough nut to crack. On the one hand, the Lord said 'for what will it profit one to gain the whole world, but lose their soul.' What I take that to mean is that it ain't no good to gain anythin' iff'n it means corruptin' yerself to do so. I..."

I pause, look outta the corner o' my eye at QuePasa.

"I regret the times I ain't listened to that bit o' the Lord's wisdom."

I look down, a bit ashamed, and think some.

"But, then again, I also think the Lord knows that we folks are jus' human. Sometimes, like you said, there's just things we gotta do, even iff'n they're wrong, cause folks need to do what they need to do.

Maybe the best way to think about it is this: what will knowin' do? Will it affect yer behavior? Like, iff'n you find out yer wrong about whatever it is, will you suddenly be all nice to our friend the Admiral? Or do you got yer mind made up'n how yer gonna do 'im? Maybe figure that out 'n work yer way backwards to whether or not you need to know in a need to know sort o' way."
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

Goodness, Hope's eyes. People tell me mine are a spook blue, like a friendly ghost.

"Well." I take a swig of water. "It's worked out that we didn't. If we had, SeaTac prob'ly wouldn't be teaching Joey. Bon would have had to cut ties with us. We'd have had to leave Seatown. I'm glad I put my foot down." I am glad..and I wonder if Hope thought about these things..but it hurt us not to fight, in a different way than fighting hurts.

I touch Hope's forearm with my fingers. "We'll wait for you, and we're trying our best to get things set better in SafeCo, but Hope, things ain't gonna wait forever. Only reason Ace is here tonight to give you mad-eyes is Bon is a marvel with her skills. I know there's more goin' on with you two than that, and she's stubborn and got that sharp attitude, but..well, little words count."

Maybe I'd wish I had a blood sister about now, but I think the Arrows taught me enough, it's the same.

Dog,

Hope
    "I'm glad, too, Dog. About the foot." Hope says this quickly, apologetic, like she didn't want a battle.

When you mention Ace getting hurt, Hope looks quickly over at Laika, sort of an accusation, but then she looks back at you, "No. Nobody said anything. I mean, she looked pale, but I knew you'd all been in a big scrap." She stands up, like she's going over right now. Laika puts a hand on her arm to stop her from rushing over during the initiation.

What do you do?
  • photo Dog3recolor.png

I stand back up, get one of Hope's hands in mine. "Let's take a walk, no sense sayin' things where all the girls are rowdy 'bout Grunge. One little step-round, then Grunge'll be on her scare ride and you can have Ace to yourself."
    Bon and I are still dancing when the hollering around Grunge starts. I catch Rainey's eye and slide off one of my bangles and throw it her way with a little wrist action. "Anything you want to give Grunge for her first ride as an Arrow?" I say quietly to Bon.
  • edited September 2015
    photo Valentine_zpssjfm5cvh.jpg

I first think she's talking to me and I nearly ruffle and cuss. Then I realize she's looking at SeaTac. I deliver to Belka smile number four, lightly glazed with fine liquor. I rise and grab her hand first. "I usually do the leading when dancing, Belka. Can you keep up?" I adjust my hat with the other hand. I'm dashing, every inch the debonair rake.

Motion on the floor catches my eye. Dancing with August is one thing; dancing next to her is the lightning bug for the lightning. We'll see what the spinner comes up with next. Which reminds me of all of the former Harbormaster's music discs.

I watch Dog and Hope walk away a few steps before moving toward Laika and Joey. Wanna catch them before Laika gets pulled into whatever's going on with the clippers and knives and Grunge's clothes and hair.

"Laika, good to see you. Ah, cadet, give us a few minutes, okay? Sort of a progress report. Need-to-know. Don't pick up any cups, you don't know what's in 'em."

Dog,

Hope
    Hope nods agreement and Laika takes her hand off Ace's sister. She walks with you off Yellowhouse roof onto the adjacent building's roof, stepping carefully. She half watches you, half watches her step. "I saw August's fingers. I'm sorry she lost them, but she's still so amazing."

Valentine,

Belka
    "Flood knows I'll try!" Belka answers as she hops up from her stool and heads out to the floor with you. Belka doesn't try to outshine August, or you either, Valentine. She seems happy to be out here with you, willing to follow your lead. She's a quick study, has great rhythm.