[Fury] Watching or Waiting? (Bon 5.3)

Bon,

Dog's left your clinic, off to fight with Balance. Shy and Mox have both calmed down, the moment you shared has passed, but won't be forgotten. Mox returned to work, he's trying to clean out some tubes to re-use them, supplies are getting low. Shy has been hovering near the past few minutes, and she senses your nerves as the crowd above thunders.

Then you hear the sound of the rain, too, Bon.

Shy
"Hey," Shy says as she sees your eyes glancing at the door out of the clinic. "You should go. Dog might need you. We've got this place.... I'm not going anywhere."

What do you do?

Comments

• photo 407c34df-d900-4bfc-986f-93006c35f4e9_zpsydjzcb0d.jpg

I had been trying to work, getting Pine situated comfortably, cleaning supplies and the table, but my focus is not all that it could be. I feel weariness in my bones but my mind is nervous. I glance up as the roar of the crowd filters dimly down to our little clinic. Is it worse to see it or not to see it?

I am glancing out the clinic door again, thinking of the gentle pressure of Dog’s lips and then the hot passion of August’s, when Shy speaks. I must have been staring. I start, flustered, and feel my face get hot, looking away for a moment.

I am going to protest, but my worry will not allow it. I glace at Decatur and Mox, then back at Shy. “Why don’t you come with me, dearest. I know you want to go. Mox can come get us if something important happens. The duel… it shouldn’t be too long.” I am already picking up my repacked kit.

Bon,

Dust falls in small pockets as the stomping grows louder and stronger. The ceiling seems to vibrate, one of the patients who border on waking stirs, and Mox moves over to comfort them.

Decatur
    Decatur, who was within earshot, but obviously not paying attention, turns to say conversationally as if he'd just thought of it, "Dear Bon. I would like to try watching over the clinic today, with the guidance of young Mox. I think we could handle it. Of course, I know this would be a bother for you and Shy, to be so near us as we do the job. Perhaps you could scout the Motor Duel? Tell us when new patients are coming, as they most assuredly shall."

Shy
    Shy blows out a breath, "Yes. We can both go.". She walks over to gather some stuff, including her little puzzle cube, and follows you.

Where are you going to watch, Bon? Down in the dregs, near the mud and blood? Or up in the Yacht Club with the elite?

My inclination, as usual, is for the humble rather than the elite, and I consider watching this match from the side of the track, ready to leap out and defend Dog against the monster she fights if it become necessary. But Shy has come with me, as I asked, and I would not have her in that area. I should be able to get to the track well enough should there be an incident. And of course I should like to see Valentine. I could use the coffee.

We make for the Yacht Club.

Bon,

You make it inside the Yacht Club in time to hear the last of the "blood" song, and you know what that means. Duel to the death. No quarter, no prisoners, no questions. You have to shove your way to a window to watch. Shy almost pushes Pine, one of HM's workers, if you recall, but she starts when she sees him. Seeing you and her both, he turns to shoulder Costco and a couple others aside so you can see Dog charge Balance.

Cigarette_Girl_Header
    Cigarette Girl notices the both of you, comes up close enough to ask, "You girls want somethin' to drink? Val says you got freebies, if you like it."

Shy orders some soy milk, expensive stuff. She's abuzz with the activity, worries for Dog, glancing at Pine, who's still standing near.

What do you do?

Hearing the blood song upon entering the Yacht Club has my heart in my throat. The people move aside enough for me to see the first charge. I cover my mouth with a hand, trying not to gasp. I can only pray.

I decide, with the adreneline of fear moving through me, that I do not need the coffee. I try to smile at Cigarette Girl as I wave her off, but I am sure it appears more of a grimace.

I do note the curious reactions between Shy and Pine, and I glance between them in question a moment, letting them see my curiosity, before I focus again on the confrontation below.

Bon,

Shy blinks a couple times when you look at her, she was combing some of her hair behind her right ear. She offers a nervous smile, then pointedly looks away from Pine. Pine, for his part, gives a half grin, showing no teeth, then gives you a nod and moves away. The crowd presses in a bit closer to the two of you, men and women straining to watch the fight, odds shouted over them by Youdub and Costco.

Shy
    Shy moves closer to you, looking out the grimy window down onto the fight. She says near your ear, "HM has many pretty men, doesn't he?"

My eyes shift to follow Pine as he moves away.

“Indeed, the poor wretches.” I reply, looking back to the duel, trying to distract myself from the terror somewhat by thinking of this new thing. “Are you speaking generally or… have you… concieved an affection for Pine?”

• Shy
    She licks her lips, thinking about a response, then laughs, "What? Pine? Well, it's hard not to like what you see, right?" She looks down towards the pit, avoiding your gaze, "Don't worry, Aunt Bon. I guard my heart close, like you. I learned from the best."

I close my eyes a moment and sigh, bothered, then look at Shy again.

“I am… not the model for such things, Shy. Keeping your heart as mine is no great virtue.” I look down to the Dog in the duel. Intense again but try to keep my mind on the conversation.“Indeed, it has meant little but fruitless deprivation of so much.”

I look back at her again. “I would not have you miss anything. Your mother would not have. But caution is wise… Pine is not his own man.”

Bon,

Dog and Balance are facing off right now, the Tax Patroller goading your Arrow friend into a charge. The crowd hoots and jeers, even the "refined" bodies up here in the Yacht Club are slavering for the battle.

Shy
    Shy's mouth quirks a little, "I know Pine is addicted to Home. I... I have some of it. Vignette stole some for you. I have been studying it, hoping to find a cure. I wanted to, uhm, impress you. But... I can't figure it out." She pulls a small vial filled with a clear liquid from her jeans, offers it to you.

What do you do?

That is enough to distract me from the duel for the moment. My eyes go to the small vial she holds in her hand. I reach out and pluck it from her fingers, carefully, turn it over as if I expect to see something specific, but of course, I do not.

“It is what that addiction means that is most troublesome, Shy. In order to get Home, Pine will do anything HM asks, tell him anything he wishes to know.” I stare at the vial a minute more. Then look at her again, thoughtfully. “You have not ingested it yourself, I trust?

• edited November 2015
    Shy
    She shakes her head vigorously, "No. not even. Sure, I was tempted, but no. I've seen how much it affects people. I..." She stumbles a bit, her tone colored with guilt. "I offered some to Decatur. I'm sorry."

I wince at that.

“I too ache for all those who suffer from the deprivation of this scourge, Shy, but I fear it would be only temporary relief and also renew its power over him. Did he take it?”

• Shy
    "You're right, it was stupid." Shy replies, admonishing herself, guilt obvious. She looks up, "But he didn't take it. That's the whole vial. I'm sorry I didn't give it to you sooner. I just wanted to figure it out myself."

I nod.

“You meant well. Decatur carries a great reserve of strength in him. I am glad he was able to resist what must have been considerable temptation.”

I consider the vial, then her, then hold it out to her again. “Your instinct to help was a good one and I am proud of you for that. You shall figure it out, I am certain. If you would but allow me to assist you, perhaps we shall solve this mystery together?”

• Shy
    When you compliment her instincts, Shy's eyes widen a little. She nods softly, soaking it in, it makes an impression, you feel it. She watches you as you look at the vial. Licks her lips, nods. "Together, right. And... I don't have to go become an Arrow. I missed the pile. I want to ride. But... guns are scary." She swallows, slightly embarrassed by her admission.

“So they are.” I agree, putting my arm about her again. “So they always are. And I think Dog would agree with you as well. Anyone who claims they are not is a fool.”

“You have some time yet, love, to consider. You are young to be a full Arrow yet. But in truth I do not know that you will have to choose between us… For I am an Arrow and I think now that I always shall be.”

I move back to the window with her. I can see something has happened. Balance has backed off and seems to have lost the last exchange. And… is Dog favoring a leg? She is. Please let her end this soon, without serious injury.

Bon,

Shy slips into your warm hug, her worry about you slipping away, but replaced by worry for Dog. You see Dog chasing after Balance while the Tax Patroller tries to get some cover. Dog's speeding up, about to hit the embankment.

Shy
    "Aunt Bon," Shy whispers low, not wanting anyone else to hear. "If Dog were to die, not that I think she will... but if she did. What happens to the Arrows?"
  • edited November 2015

photo 407c34df-d900-4bfc-986f-93006c35f4e9_zpsydjzcb0d.jpg

“They would endure. One of our sisters would step up to lead.” I have not considered who might lead the Arrows, should Dog fall. I never wanted to consider it. But now… “But I hope we do not see that day.”

I hold my breath on the exchange of gunfire below. Dog has been hit, I’m certain, but as the roar goes up my eyes refocus on Balance. He is dead.

Bon,

Dog defeats Balance soundly, and the world becomes deafening. There's hugging and beer throwing and dancing around. Folks are throwing safecoins and hooch at Dog, chanting her name. Shy hugs you excited for the victory, for the end of the fight with Dog looking alright. You notice Cujo is here. She hasn't been around much lately, coming late to the pile, leaving before dawn. Her golden ear is gone, she hasn't said why. Cujo is staring at the skybox.

Shy
    "Should we go down and check on Dog?" Shy asks after stepping back from the hug.

Bon,

Please go here.