[DVFP] Stashed Away (J 2.3)

edited December 2016 in aw2e-dvfp
June,

A room 200 in High Rent, June is heard to say:
"'Erst kommt das Fressen, Dann kommt die Moral.'" I recite as I pour out two shallow glasses of rum I keep stocked for times of frivolous need.

Rothschild's peeled off her boots and left them by the door, happy to be out of them. She is quite a bit shorter than you, which becomes even more obvious when she reaches up to take the drink you've offered. She takes a long sip, then walks over to look at your array of plants, her free hand moving above the stalks and petals without touching.

Comments

I've gotten my shoes and jacket and hat off as well, before even going to the shelves and the workspace where my food and drink get stored. I wouldn't call it a kitchen, not yet.

I match Rothschild's sip, looking in her eyes quietly. While she admires the garden, I unbutton my vest and peel it off, revealing the suspenders beneath. "You can touch them, gently."

I fuss with my hair, straightening it and smoothing my fingers slowly over the gloss black beads that are the external evidence of the implants in my skull. I'm nervous about Rothschild's comfort in my space.

She lightly traces a fingertip over a petal of one flower, then touches another plant delicately. "How do you stand all those clothes, June? I would pass out. So many layers." She huffs a small laugh, "There's a tribe of Snakes out there who wear as much as you. Maybe more. They say it keeps the sweat close, so they don't lose precious water. They're a western tribe. The Obsids." She turns a little so she can glance back over at you, sneaking a peek at you stripping down.

I worm my way out of one suspender's grasp, let it hang down over my side. "I really do get cold easy. I just like it, the weight and the look." The armored lining in the jacket is also very reassurin' when I'm out on my own.

"The Obsids, huh?" I chuckle in return, thinkin' about how that's not the way water works..ah well, I'd never tell them. "Despite our matchin' fashion sense I doubt I'd fit in." I drawl out.

I toss my gloves away again and then bring my hands up to my neck to undo my tie. "Down to the bone of it, I like to feel like I have control over myself, how I'm presented. My body doesn't really provide that sense of mastery, but the clothes do."

The corner of Rothschild's mouth curls up in a little smile, "The clothes do. Hot... but also hot." She leaves the plants and moves over to you, hands reaching up for the tie. Instead of loosening it, she tightens it, just a touch, then smiles, "I like this. Like a collar." She laughs lightly, then stands up on her tippy toes to kiss your bottom lip.

I give her a testing look, then lean down a little to help her with the kiss. I carefully pull my collar down under my tie and unbutton the top button, then the second.

"I'll keep it on." I murmur into her sweet lips. Meanwhile, my fingers search the gauze on her back for an end to loosen or a clasp. "Let's sit." I suggest, tugging at gauze.

Her gauzy top is wrapped around her a dozen times. You find an end and start unraveling. She doesn't seem to mind. Rothschild follows you to the sofa, then pulls you in for a kiss by your tie.
    "Yes, I am a fan of this tie, June." Rothschild says as she twirls the end around her fingers. "You can lose the rest, though. Need some help?"

I chuckle, kiss her again and have a seat, still workin' on the gauze, eager to see her and touch more of her skin. It feels like my hands are sparking. "You're wrapped up like a lil' present." I'm ready to pull her on top of me, but I delegate, "I'll get the shirt if you get the pants."

I'll let her undo the gauze while I finish taking off my shirt. I'm hesitant..maybe she'll spook again if she sees all of my body. Maybe she thinks she owes me this for her VIP seat. But rum burns a fire of warm, confident indifference to these problems inside me, and I'm needful. I need to feel close to someone, released and connected at once.

"I've got to warn you, it's a little different with me."

Once she's free from her top, Rothschild slips down to the floor to work at your pants. Her skin's far from flawless, you realize. There are thin scars along her lower back, and a puckered scar under her left breast, obviously a bullet wound.
    When you warn her, she looks up at you, "I've noticed your eye already, silly." She takes it as "your body's different", and doesn't ask questions. "Now lift up." She means your hips, of course, so she can slide the pants off.

June, when Rothschild sees you now, what other scars and marks do you wear on your skin?

I take the chance to look at her while she slides down to the floor. I want to read her skin, not just for its little surface marks, but for the anticipations it has, maybe even separate of her knowledge..

Obediently, I lift up my hips and help with the pants. "That isn't what I mean." I say, mildly. Honestly, my false eye is damn good, a 3d printed lattice with the old muscles attached and the cosmetics on top, tracks like the real thing..I'm impressed she caught it out.

After a few tugs and a laugh I'm naked on the couch.

I recall a lover of mine telling me I had wonderful, crisp collarbones and taut shoulders. I tolerated her sketching them for her own pleasure. I'm not sure who was subordinated in that act and who had power, but it was a moment after sex that was more charged than what came before it.

My right shoulder and neck are haphazardly scarred, and blossoming out of that are some geometric tattoos, fanning out in careful order. I tried to take that skin back, just like I tried to mark my eyes as mine, my decision. My body is thin, pale, the muscle tone on my legs is poor, my hips are narrow, ribs easy to count. Sometimes a charcoal-dark vein of wire runs underneath my skin. If Rothschild sees my back, like a lacework piercing on either side of my spine there's the dozens of boosters that turn me into a human antenna, rows of round 'beads', usually black, sometimes glowing a dull red inside. From the back of my neck to my tailbone.

I watch her reaction..curious myself about her. What happened to her back, and who nailed her under her breast, and who helped her out of that?

Rothschild moves up your body, her breast sliding deliciously along your skin. She dives in to kiss the tattoos and the scars on your shoulder, which she also licks. Whatever spooked her before has evaporated as she seems eager to please you, June.

I think this is where we fade to black, right?
    I am curious, do you let Rothschild continue her ministrations and attempts to be the aggressor, or do you assert yourself?

Also, let's see what happens with your Sex Move.

I rise up against her as she slides up on me and try to maximize our contact, letting out a low sound.

This should be where we fade to black, certainly.

I don't wanna quash Rothschild's work to be the aggressor here, and I think her bossiness is cute, but soon I hit my stride and turn the tables on her a bit. When I'm confident I won't frighten her.

Rolling to Deep Brain Scan;
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 4, 4. Total: 10)

June, you don't frighten her, your calm agreement to her light bossiness gained enough of her thin line of trust. She melts into submission when you assert yourself.

------------------
    Those thin scars on her back, which are varying ages, you read the pain in them. Expertly applied to cut skin and cause enough pain that wouldn't cause you to pass out. You read in her that her tormentor applied chems and drugs to the wounds to multiply the pain to sheer agony. All of it is written with one name. Saint Anger.

Over the course of a month, Saint Anger wore Rothschild down to her lowest moment, when she broke into tears and begged him to relent, offered up whatever he wanted for release, even requested that he kill her to end the torment.

Then one night she saw an opening in the tent where she'd been left, chewed through her bindings and crawled away. She escaped Saint Anger, and she's convinced he's still after her. She's terrified of the open desert now and sees him everywhere out there. You're strong and assured, June. She's flocked to you for protection, for something solid, and she doesn't care that your body's odd and different.
    ------------------

It's early morning when you wake to the sound of the door closing quietly. Is Rothschild in your arms or are you in hers? Where did you end up ?

It's Beckett. She's got her boots in her hands and she's trying to walk barefoot so as not to disturb you. She looks tired, circles under her normally bright eyes. The morning light illuminates her as she moves in, looking for a place to crawl in and sleep.

What do you do?

We're still right on the couch in the mornin', blanket from the back of it pulled over us and spillin' a little down to the floor. I'm spoonin' around Rothschild, holdin' her close. I sniff at her warm skin..there's still the smell of cars from the arena on her - leather, oil. Enduring girl.

I shift my head the slightest amount possible to get a view of who's entering my home. Logically, only myself and Beckett have keys to get in. And the super. And any clever-dick who knows how to pick locks. But my suspicion can go right back to bed, and Beckett will, too.

As she seeks out the bed, I'll spare her by closing my eyes again. I should update her on a few things but clearly she needs a few hours. She should update me on a few things, too, by the look of it.

Beckett sees you, then sees Rothschild, and as your eyes close to spare her, you see a soft smile on her face. She strips off her big jacket and her denim jeans, then climbs under the covers. She's snoozing in minutes.

You drift off again, then wake when Rothschild stirs. She rises to head off to the bathroom, it's late morning and the heat's already rising outside. A minute later, she comes back out, starts picking around on the floor for her clothes.

What do you do?

I rise up slowly, surveying the mess that June-from-last-night left me to deal with. Lucky me, I can just lean forward and grab my pants, shirt and suspenders. I start working them on in my usual fashion, then pat the space beside me while catching Rothschild's eye.

Rothschild's pulled on her underwear and top, but leaves the pants and boots in the floor, moving over to sit beside you. She offers a little smile and crosses her legs, which means her knee brushes against you.

Beckett's still zonked.
  • edited December 2016

I whisper in Rothschild's ear, "You want to get breakfast? I have business but we should have enough time."

I realize I still have my tie on, and take it off to get my shirt on proper.

She chuckles lightly when you take off the tie, and reaches for it, straightening it and smoothing out the crinkled edges. "Breakfast? Yes, please. What business? I could help out. Carry stuff. Look mean. Or adorable. Whatever suits your business." She watches you button up, then reaches up to try and help.

Do you let her?

I still keep my voice low, modeling for Rothschild. "I'm tutoring someone. Nothing special. Come on if you wanna." Mm, should have been 'want to', I don't want to sound too earthy.

I let her button me up, resting my arms on her shoulders with a smile. She wants to touch me, I'm not goin' to fight her.

Still, Rothschild's another new element in my business plan, isn't she? I don't want to send her out on her own. I've decided that. Reminds me of mail I used to get back out in the wider world.

'Dr. Weaver, please help me, I need this device to walk but my insurance is going to cut it remotely in 10 days and I don't have the money, what do I do?'

'I'm going to get fired if I fail another Mood Response Review, how do I hack my EID badge?'

'Why does it have to be this way?'

How can I say no?

The space between Rothschild's eyes crinkle and she asks quietly, "What are you tutoring them on? How to tie a tie?" She loops the tie around your neck, but tying it is beyond her ability. "And yes, I wanna."

"You two...." Beckett mumbles sleepily, "I would be so mad at you for being loud." She draws in a breath through her nose, then exhales, "If you both weren't so cute together. Bring me breakfast back, please?" She rolls back over, facing the wall.
  • edited December 2016

"Sorry, Beckett, I'll try to be good until temptation comes again. And sure, breakfast for you when I get back."

I stop talkin' and hold a finger to my mouth with a gentle smirk, finishin' up dressin' in silence. I let Rothschild take care of herself as I get up, get my crutches together and my outermost layer on. I tuck Beckett's earnings into her jacket before hustling us out.

Oof, no real tools for this but myself and my scorched up memory.

Breakfast first though, someplace with coffee..or something black like coffee..

"I'm tutoring someone on programming basics, I think they have an Artune chipset, which is easy to work with and I can write out code for them and upload it myself.." I explain when we're out in the heat and away from Beckett's sharp ears.

The bar at High Rent is the quietest place, but it's boring. Rothschild suggests a little shop out by the bazaar, she says they fry a good egg. This is when things are busiest, so it will be loud.
    "Artunes aren't bad. Can't work 'em, but I've filched a dozen of those over the years. You can code on them, then?" She isn't walking as close as last night, but then, the crutches and the bustle are an impediment to two people walking side by side.

You grab stools at this little tent cafe with a grandmother of a woman with dozens of tattoos on her wrinkled arms. She serves up a strong cup of java and some spicy eggs.
  • edited December 2016

Rothschild gets an appraisin' look from me..what a little pro. "Sure, they run on a simple language and you don't need much of a computer to load it onto them. If Missed has one, I'll show her with that, if not I'll load it from my own systems." I tap my temple with a finger.

I'm not bothered by the new distance between us this mornin'. We can't be fallin' over each other all the time.

I take the coffee just like Gran'ma Tatts serves it up and taste the eggs. "Woman, is this Chalula? Whatever it is, you got the sauce!"

I let Rothschild eat a little more before leadin' in. "So..what are your plans after this mornin's business? Seems like you want to stick with me. We should work that out."

"A magician never reveals her secrets." Gran'ma Tatts answers with a grin.
    Rothschild turns in her stool, looks at you for a moment, then nods, "Yeah. I do wanna stick with you. You're loaded and I'm useful. I tried the Arena and it's awful and I don't want to end up dead. So, you know I've got an eye and quick hands." She sits back a bit, grins, then adds, "Or slow, depending on the job. But I earn my keep, yeah? And High Rent is cool and dry, but I don't want to get on Beck's bad side. Not sure she has one, so I bet it's terrifying." She scrapes at the bowl with her eggs for a few moments, then asks as she takes a bite, "You mind if I stick with you?" She doesn't look up, as if it would make a "no" easier.

I grin back at Gran'ma. No wonder this place is loud and busy.

Rothschild gets my attention again and I listen through her explanation, smirk a little when she flirts with me. I finish my eggs (I'm one of those people that eats fast and then gets bored in a restaurant..) and consider a little before answerin'.

"You can stay with me, you are useful and I am pretty flush at the moment. Glad you're not itchin' to stay in the Arena, too."

I light up and take my first drag of the day before continuin'. "Becks..yeah I'll need to talk with her, but I think she'll be fine with you. She has Hackmobile most nights and I don't expect her to always need the space or come in the way she did this mornin'. If that's not what she wants, we can negotiate."

"Now, when it comes to it, I lack a solid business model. I make brew and food and vinegar, small amounts, that's juuust enough to cover my cot and meals. I have you and your clever fingers now, and Becks and her pep and her car. But what for?"

"What I want to do is start drawin' together some of my old tools. Start a new clinic. I've got a lot of skills, but most of them..I'm not convinced they're useful to enough people in here. Or I'll just be privilegin' people who don't deserve it with my services."

I kick back a little and think. "Not sure I can expand my brewin' and my other tools at the same time but it's what I'd like best. What do you think?"

"A clinic? Interesting. I could procure stuff, you make it go. Missed keeps learning, maybe you even show me programming? We'll have to keep mobile maybe, Fipper troubles. They won't like it. Sounds exciting." She finishes her eggs, then orders some for Beckett. As she does, she brushes an arm against your shoulder, totally on purpose.

"Sure, we could do that. I like it." I touch the small of her back, briefly as she moves around me, then I stand. "Hump them fippers right up a flagpole, I'm clearly not the first person to do what I'm thinkin' in here. And I'll do it better!"

I stretch a little and groan. "If I still had my old servers an' all their data, Roth, what a thing that would be."
    With some decent food in your bellies and a pouch of eggs and some bread with a coffee for Beckett, you head back to High Rent. Beckett's awake and showered when you arrive, and once she's had some coffee, she's back to her normally bright-eyed and bushy-tailed self. Rothschild grabs some floor and quietly plays with something she didn't have earlier, some kind of puzzle game, not electronic. You think you saw it at one of the tents as you were eating.
    "So, so, so." Becket begins before taking another sip of coffee and smacking her lips with satisfaction. ""DJ Gnarly was going on and on about the big autoduel! Wish I'd seen it, did you go?"

"This the fellah on Scream 101 or a new DJ?" I'm makin' myself some tea as Beckett transforms back to her usual self. "I did go, in fact, with Rothschild. It was one helluva upset. Cinch drove around those UFers like they were standin' still. Oh, that reminds me, somehow."

I drop two jingle worth of depot bills on the table in front of Beckett. "This is yours, for the move-in and the back-up."
  • edited December 2016

She nods, "That's the guy." She looks to Rothschild, "You both went? Cows! I'm grape jelly on that plus five. The bit about Cinch and upset doesn't make any whatsit to me. Anytime Cinch is riding, she's the favorite. Right? She's tops! And her ride's almost as sexy as she is!" She throws a thumbs up and grins a cheesy mug.

Becks looks at the bills, "Good. We have this place for a month more then. I like this place. Nice bed. How's the couch, slackers?"

"Not bad if you have the right pillow." Rothschild comments wryly while winning her little puzzle game, then putting it down, already bored with it.

I laugh, "You know, Cinch is so cute, but I've never even flirted with her?" Hadn't thought about that till just now.

Gettin' back to my tea, I close in a little conversationally on Beckett. "Slackers? I'll have you know I was networkin' an' hustlin'. We've been talkin' business models, thinkin' up plans for this new venture. What kept you out so ..early?"
  • edited December 2016

"Cinch is cute, but the girl leaves everyone in the dust. Which is cool and all, if you can catch up to her." Rothschild hops up and heads over to the couch, plopping down onto it, arms thrown over the back. She makes a kissy face at you, June. An expectant kissy face.

"Cinch is always the one that gets away." Becket sighs. "Did you hear she even left Joe's Girl high and dry? Joe's. Girl. I mean, wow."

Rothschild, still with fish-like kissy lips, shrugs, "If you've got it, fah-launt it. She's got no reason to tie herself down"

Slightly distracted by the conversation for a moment, Beckett looks down at her coffee, "Business models is good. Are good. I made a haul, then ended up catching a cat nap at Truk Stop on the way back. I was skittery. Something rattling in my head. I'm good now, though!" She holds up the now empty coffee cup as proof.
    "What kinda business are you thinking? If Roths' involved, it's gotta be rhymin' and stealin', am I right?"

"Hmm, well I'm pretty slow on my feet." I tilt Rothschild's face up towards me with my fingers and kiss her briefly. "Joe's Girl. Huh."

I raise an eyebrow at Beckett's skittery tale. That's a question for when we're alone together, so I don't ask.

"Nope, I'm thinkin' I'll expand my brewing capacity on the one hand..and maybe open up a clinic on the other. Somethin' to keep me interested while I wait for side jobs. But I need the tools and the help. Roth's a start towards that."
    Rothschild grins at the kiss, craning her neck to stay close enough to kiss your chin before sliding back down to the couch again.
    "A clinic?" Beckett asks, smiling but looking down at her eggs mostly. "I can make trips for gear and ferry people to and fro. It's like Fleece, right? I didn't know you doctored, Junebug!"

"Not healing people," Rothschild corrects. "Fixing them up. Upgrading them. High tech, splice and dice and tweaking."
    Beckett looks at you curiously, June.

What do you do?

I meet Beckett's eyes but answer Rothschild a little. "Sometimes augments are therapeutic, but yes. I want to run a cyber shop. If it takes off, it'll be high-profit. If not I'll just..fix people's tech, I guess. Double down on food. Somethin'." I shrug carelessly.

I'm even more curious about Rothschild now..I suppose she's had a whole range of customers, and chances to learn about this sort of thing. "The downside is it's all contraband. Just like the Scream 101 antenna, just like a thermite bomb, just like my own implants.."

Givin' Beckett a chance to veto here, test her taste for risk..

Beckett's mouth twitches a little, and she looks up at you for just a moment, then back to her bowl. She scrapes it clean of eggs, then nods, "Gotta take risk to make profit. Roth works for you, then? I'm partner?" Beckett's testing the waters here, seeing who calls the shots.

Rothschild gives you a look like "your call", she's not much for decisioning or, you know, group stuff.

"I calculate all my risks, Beckett, and I'm good at math. We can revisit this later if it gets too hot. You're partner, and Roth works for me." I lay it out there, reassuring slightly but not pretendin' about these decisions.

"Now..any questions or thoughts before I head off to do some tutorin'? Do you need anythin' from me today, partner?"

That gets a pleased look from Beckett, sort of a "that's settled". "I don't need anything, partner. I might scrounge up some ferry work. While I'm out, might swing by Bordertown East. If you need anything," she looks to Rothschild, "Either of you, let me know."

Rothschild shrugs like she doesn't, and hops up from the couch, heading for the bathroom. She closes the door. Becket looks at you curiously, like maybe she wonders if there's more you might say.

What do you do?
  • edited December 2016

"I have nothin' in mind at the moment." I say in response to the offer of things from Bordertown East.

Sippin' tea, I study Beckett, lean in and quietly ask, "What skittered you out near Truk Stop? I know you, that ain't easy to do."

Beckett gets up to walk over to the counter, slipping the empty cup onto it before she heads over to sit closer, "I went west of Truk Stop on a look-see for someone. They were looking for a path to an aquifer they were just sure was out there. I figured it was worth a look, plus they were paying well. It's a merchant, III, not sure if you know 'em. Anyways, on the way back, DJ Gnarly's bitching about the United Front and Saint Anger, and the Sand Snakes, normal rot that's true, but life's life. "

She lowers her voice, "And I get this sickish feeling, Junebug. Half an hour west of Truk Stop, like a tornado of pain and hate swirls up, and I think it's the desert talking to me, crazy stuff. But my momma taught me to listen, and I did. I watched it go by, and then I was out of sorts. III was asleep, lucky bugger, so I slipped into Truk Stop to sleep it off."

"III, huh? No, I don't know 'em." But if they hit an aquifer that's the stuff of big jingle, a new settlement. I nod about the normal rot of UF and Saint Anger and Snakes bein' themselves on the road. It's risky to move from place to place, and Gnarly banks on people listenin' to the same old and shoutin' 'YEAH' and 'YOU TELL 'EM' at their receivers.

I take a long, slow sip of tea while Beckett relays her odd encounter. 'A tornado of pain and hate'..I believe her that it happened. I nod and try to put that on my face. What could that have been? It's worryin', real worryin' to me. That sounds like somethin' you could do with the Feed, a weaponized frequency..

"I think it was good that you were consciously listenin', aware that the tornado was outside of yourself. That's real odd, though. You know what it makes me wanna do? Visit our snitchin' DJ."
  • edited December 2016

Beckett pulls an "oh, really?" face as Rothschild walks back in. Beckett moves slightly away from you, like she's got somewhere else to be, just so happens, ends up heading to stand near the window, looking outside. "I'm down for that, Junebug. Maybe tonight? I should be back from Bordertown."

"Alright, let's plan for it." I get myself stood up and ready to go outside. "Be safe out there."

I turn to Rothschild and ask her, "You ready to go?"

Rothschild heads over towards the door, opens it, and waits for you, "I'm ready steady."

Beckett turns to watch you leave, then she comes up to lock the door after you're gone. You head out into the growing heat and meet up with Missed. Where are you holding this training session, June?

I grin and walk out with Roth, givin' Becks a little tip of my hat. Then it's out into the heat.

This training session is going to happen wherever Missed feels comfortable doin' it. Her place, out with her guy she knows who has a computer, wherever. My notepad and pencil work in any old location.

Hopefully Missed is lettered, otherwise the remedial period is gonna go pretty long.

Once I have a glass of water and spot where I can prop up my notes, I begin, "Alright, tell me what you know about how chips work, and we build from there, from the very beginning to a small outcome." I draw a diagram of the chip while I chat.
    Missed grabs a room at Fall On Inn for the study, and she's dressed in street clothes with a wide brimmed hate when you meet with her. She seems reluctant to be seen learning this stuff, but nonetheless eager. While Rothschild keeps watch out, Missed sits down on the mattress in the middle of the room, legs crossed, watching you draw the diagram. She can read, so there's that.

She runs down a basic understanding of how chips and programming work. It's all self-taught, and she learns quickly, but this will not be a one and done teaching session. She asks questions and takes mental notes all the way through the Scorching Time if you let her. Rothschild meanders off after a while, but stays on the same floor.

At the end of this intense primer, do you think Missed got more of out what you imparted (take a +1 Forward dealing with her), or did you learn more about some aspects you'd assumed away while considering higher functions of design (take an XP)?

At the end of it, I hand over all of my paper notes to Missed - it was fun to dig into the basics all over again and refresh myself, but this session was for her benefit and I don't want her forgetting half of what we did today before we meet again. I hate to repeat myself.

I'll leave any leftover mess from lunch behind for Fall On Inn's people to deal with, shake Missed's hand and ask, "So when would you like to do this again?"

On the mattress, Missed's little project - an LED sequence pattern, babies' first program - blinks away.

Taking the +1 Forward with Missed

Still looking at her blinking program and checking notes, she looks up with clear eyes, "How much will it cost? Because I want to do this every day, but I only make so much." She looks over at Rothschild, who shrugs like "I don't do the books, lady".

I consider and light up, since this is the Fall On and not my room that I have to share. "How about in a month you owe me a jingle or a project of my choosing? I'm flexible, but not made outta time. Where would you like to meet tomorrow?"

After today's real enthusiasm I think I can put up with her being in my place for these lessons. But we may not want to make that a habit.
  • edited December 2016

Missed nods, her eyes still eager without her expression making her look like chum. "I'm sitting on this place for somebody for a week. Here's as good as any place. Not where I wanna sleep, but good for a meet." She glances towards the door, "You know that girl's a thief, right? Some of the Man's people will know her by sight. Dangerous friend to have."

"Mm, alright." I follow Missed's gaze to the door, shrug. "I've got my inklin's, and I'm puttin' her to honest work anyway. We all pick and choose our dangerous friends, Missed. After all, you just spent most of the day with me." I tap away the ash on my cig. "Any of the Man's people, specifically, think they owe her hard treatment?"

While I believe in making solid deals and keepin' up trust..I suppose I haven't been above stealin' for a long time. My kind of rhymin' and stealin' is different from a lifer's, though..

Missed nods, "A few. Most are in the Palace, though. She swindled them but good. Stole an entire jeep out from under them. Filled with, of all things, contraband baked goods. Can you cooking believe it?" She laughs at that, a wry chuckle. "I bear her no ill will, people have to live and eat. A woman who can make it without whoring is worth my respect. But I thought you'd want to know."

"Pffft whaaat?" I laugh at the image that springs to mind, Rothschild drivin' the jeep out of the Palace itself..little plastic-wrapped twinkies and ho-hos spillin' out of the backseat. Palace guards stompin' off behind, suckin' her dust.

"I love it. Haa..thank you for the warnin', then, and the story. I'll keep my eyes open." I tip my hat to Missed and start on my way.
    Missed chuckles with you, it is a funny thought. You head off into the hall and Rothschild comes out of a room to join you.

"Sorry for bailing. Got antsy. Fall On Inn puts my skin on edge. Plus, I already know that stuff." She grins, not at all humble about it. As you near the door to outside, to the oppressive heat, she asks, "Where to next?"

"Oh do you, now?" I smirk back to Rothschild. Asking her where she learned would be the height of rudeness - nobody likes to say they can't remember. "Ever gotten to play with a nanofac?" I'm still seein' that Bugs Bunny routine a bit when I look at her.

"I think Cinch has had enough time to recover from her victory. Let's send her a runner and head home. I want to start some batches up, check on the plants..and go over inventory with you."

End Scene