[DVFP] Truk Stop stop (C 5.3)

edited April 2017 in aw2e-dvfp
Cinch,
You've had to pull into the queue at Truk Stop before rolling into Depot. Mimi's in the passenger side of the car. She's been strangely quiet most of the ride. For the first half hour, she turned back around to stare out of the rear window, watching Junkyard grow smaller and smaller. When it disappeared behind the hazy horizon, she turned around rightways and slumped for a bit, tired and worn.

There are a couple of merchant cars ahead of you, mish-mash machines made from a dozen other cars, the kinds of things that just manage to stay mobile. Mimi's watching the guards of Truk Stop warily.

What do you do?

Comments

There's a long silence on the way. I know better than to talk when it ain't called for... ain't wanted.
    But as we linger in the queue for the 'stop, feels like time.
    "Helluva thing, ain't it?" I say quietly, without looking, "if that shiite can't take you down... can't take him down, Mimi, makes me feel like maybe we got a fuggin' chance."
    Chance at what? I wonder myself... not dyin' maybe... at lest not dyin' for nothin.

Mimi doesn't look over, either. "A chance?" she asks, the tone you hear in your own head. "He died giving me a second chance already, and I haven't done shite with it. Buried a little girl, then killed a bunch of assholes, that's it." She leans back in her seat, "I want to sit at a table and eat a meal with some folks who don't want to kill or rape me, Cinch. I just want to stop hating the world and hurting. I don't know if that's even... possible? I just. I know it didn't used to be that way."
    I hear it, and it hurts. Mimi ain't never had the chance to know what it's like out there. Why the fugg can't it be like that in here? I know... no fuggin' way.

"It's possible... it ain't gotta be shiite after shiite every damn day..." I look out at the sky, the only thing that's the same here and there, "you just look for the shinin' moments inside all the hurt of this place. Find the people that feel ya and hang."

I click my tongue.

"That's my naive fuggin' opinion anyway... you can start with me," I look at her, extend a hand, palm-up like.

The bus ahead of you moves up a space, it's next in line. Some of the guards recognize you and give you nods, one waves.
    Mimi slumps a little at your words, doesn't meet your palm up gesture, "Cinch." she says in a quiet voice. "I think... Gigg felt me. And I left him. What if I'm s'posed to be driving him around right fuggin' now? I saw the smoke from Junkyard, he burned it all down. He's not coming back after he kills Fattie." She closes her eyes. "I shoulda stayed. I didn't, Cinch.... I-I left him."
    I nod at the guards as we near, as we pass. But my mind is in here with Mimi, "something about that guy..." I say quietly and seriously, "I felt somethin' too... but Gigg... in his mind he's dead already and he's tryin' to set right all the stuff he thinks he made broken..."

I think about that... I hope I've got the man right in my mind. I wish I could see his face. I wonder if he had a nice smile.

"You're part of that, Mimi... he wants you to get the fugg outta there and find your own life... you're somethin' good he thinks he can leave behind... and I thought on this more'n a little... I wanted to save him! But he don't wanna come back. He's got too much shiite draggin' him down and the fugger don't wanna share."

"A guy like that, got a Junkyard fulla shite that don't fight for it, United Front woulda put him down and taken all of that. Survival of the fittest, you know? The weak serve the strong." Mimi rambles on, spewing some of her culture, her life before that moment when she bailed on the race with you. "I'm not UF anymore, though. I just... walked away from him. I let... I let him go." her voice breaks and she turns in her seat to lean over and put her head on your shoulder, clutching your jacket for just a moment of touch with you, with someone strong while she's weak.
    The guards have noticed this, it's their job to watch folks coming up. They haven't recognized Mimi, but they just might. That would go so well, seeing as how she was a poster child for the UF up until a week or so ago.

What do you do?
  • edited April 2017
    Well. I'm not gonna panic or anything that'll draw attention to us.
    I reach up and wrap and arm around Mimi's neck and touch her face, should hide her pretty well from the guards. I lean in and touch her forehead with my cheek as we near. Enjoying the touch, but also making it hard to see who she is...

"Stay put," I whisper as we near the gate. She's sharp enough, I think, to know what's up.
  • edited April 2017

Mimi gets it, she realizes the predicament she's put you in. You hide her face, and she slides closer, burying her face in your neck, reaching her hand up to your shoulder. After a few moments, she's kissing your neck. Her lips are soft and she nuzzles against you with unexpected tenderness. She leans up to whisper, "Don't get any ideas, Cinch. This is just cover. I don't." she kisses your ear, making sure she's hidden from the guards as the lead car pulls in and you need to pull up to the gate, "I don't like you."
    What do you do?
    I pull up the the guard at the gate with a little rumble under the hood. My window half-down.
    I smile at the guard, rubbin' myself on Mimi as we near, "hey, you know a good place for a romp in the sheets?" I ask, breathless, aimin' to look like I can't wait to get ass naked with my girl here.
    Truth is, I wouldn't mind one bit.... but she don't like me... just makes me smile even more. Can't help it.
    I'm curious if you can pull this off, Cinch. These guards generally trust you, so take a +1, but some of them have seen Mimi before, so you'll need to give me an Act Under Fire to sneak her into Truk Stop to a place where you can both "hide out" while getting refueled.
    Lesse how it goes:
    Acting under fire: Cool+2
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 3, 6. Total: 11)

reminder of Truk Stop layout

You're waved through, some chuckles and jealous smiles as Mimi continues nuzzling against your neck, then actually moves down to kiss your tummy and make like maybe her head's in your lap, but she's not doing anything. You have to exit the vehicle once you pull in, and hand over the keys to one of the guards, a woman with a rooster Mohawk who is not very impressed with you hooking up (jealousy maybe?)

With Mimi leaning into you, her face, hovering close to your neck again, you make your way to the Waiting Room (area 14). Once you're inside this small room with couches lining the walls, Mimi heads over to slump on a couch, pulling a blanket off and tossing it over her head.

What do you do?
    Not here to impress the guards, they can think what they want. Whisper what they want... more than enough rumors out there about me already. Few more won't hurt.

"Hey," I wait a good bit before interrupting the quiet she obviously needs, "I know you don't like me... but we both know this ain't about us. I just gotta know you're where you need to be before I hit the horizon. You got somethin' lined up right? Spare parts?" I try and smile about it... she's lucky enough to have somethin' lined up for her arm... leastways I understand it... enough folks around here missin' pieces permanent.

I don't have much else to say... it's her fuggin' life. I'm here if she needs me along the way but I ain't her keeper.
    Nobody comes in to bother you while you're here, the guards figure you're hooking up and they respect that.
    When you start talking to Mimi, she lowers the blanket and looks over at you. For a moment, she's contemplative, then she does a half shrug, "Gigg says he set something up, I dunno. He's fuggin' crazy, I don't believe half the shite he says." She meets your eyes, then looks away. "No, Cinch. I don't have shite lined up. Gigg's a dead man. And crazy as he was, he was the only person I could count on not to shoot me on sight. Even if June Weaver doesn't warp my mind again, even if she gives me a new arm... or just pulls this fuggin' bolt. Either way, after that, I'm not sure what I'll do. Arena scrub work, I guess." She looks back at you, a hint of defiance, "Guess that makes you happy, hunh? See me brought low, the only driver who could make you actually break a sweat out there. Well, take it in."
    I listen, she's letting off steam, but then she gets personal. In a bad way.
    "That's bullshiite," I wonder where that hint of defiance comes from, if she fuggin' believes that, "you know why I been followin' you all this fuggin' time?" I stand and face her, "cause back in the arena... you had me... right on fuggin' tail, in your sights steady... you had me... then..." I throw my hands apart, "gone! You bailed on the match, Mimi! Right when you had a move on me...
    didn't make any fuggin' sense! I get it now... other shiite goin' on...
    "
    I sit back down, heavy, kick up my feet, "but you think I'm happy? Shiite, Mimi, any team'll take you in a heartbeat... hit up the Skorps, they'll take you on my word or my word ain't the shiite I thought. If they ain't up for that... hell... drive with me and we'll take'em all down!"
    I pump a fist and hold it out towards her.

Mimi narrows her eyes when you call bullshite, but let's you keep going, listening warily. When you admit that you've been following her, she seems skeptical, like she doesn't know how to process that. You suggest the Skorpions and she chews on the inside of her bottom lip, which pulls the skin in slightly.

"Cinch... you know I've been watching you a long time." Mimi says in a low voice, "In and around the arena, you always walked around like you were so above everyone. Like the way we lived, you were too good for it. You were this big fuggin fipper who turned on 'em to come out this way and I dunno... fuggin' save us from ourselves." She holds up her hand anticipating an objection, "I know you never said those words, but that's how it looked. Well, to me it did!"

You're still holding out your fist, and she looks at it. "Like I said... been watchin' you. And dammit all if you aren't walking the walk. Helped out the folks at Diamond when my asshole UFers came down like thunder. Helped Gigg and Last and her whiny bitches. Now me. Me? Cinch..." Her voice wavers a little, "I've lied and killed and stole shite, left folks to die, helped catch a bunch for the Front and they're still with the Front." She sniffs, swallows, looks away. "You actually want a fuggin' pariah like me to ride... with you?"
    I never saw myself like that. Better... but maybe it kinda was that way without thinkin' of it. I came here on my own choice. Came here prepared and kitted up for the thing... I had every advantage comin' into this place. Maybe it made it easier.... hell this place ain't ever easy. But less hard.

She's got me thinkin.

"Hey," I lower my hand a touch, but not all the way, "I don't give a shiite where you come from or what you had to do to get by," I shake my head, "Mimi, I just care who you are right now, who you wanna be..."

It pains me to think of the shiite she had to do to survive. She's mentioned only a hint of it just now.

"I'd ride with you cause you kick ass, girl..." I get up and walk over, crouch in front of her. "ain't no shame in doing whatever to stay living... wherever I come from... Mimi... today we're the same. You and me... you ain't no pariah in my eyes."

Mimi blinks, looking at you with a hint of worry that fades as she accepts you at your word. "Then... those Skorps will envy the shite outta you, Cinch. Because I don't want to ride with the second best." She nods once, letting out a breath, then she finally reaches her hand up to meet yours, bumping fists.

End Scene