[Junk XIII] To Bubble City (J 6-6)

edited December 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Jack,

After a couple days in Boomtown, you and Parfait hop on your bike to ride with Kodak's crew headed for Bubble City. It's a light travel, carrying expensive tech and metals. Kodak is driving a Winnebago that's been converted to a hybird, able to run on diesel and solar. It isn't fast at all, but the thing is armored up, with a lookout position on top, and a few beds inside. Other than you and Parfait, the rest of the crew is the back-up driver Bank, Gala (again) and Ro, Reese's nephew. Did you know Ro was in town? Kodak's real happy to have him along since he's considered very lucky. How do you know him?

Gala will be sitting up top, Ro has an assault rifle in a position in the back of the RV. Bank and Kodak will be trading off driving hoping to drive as long as possible. You know Parfait can ride a bike, but then there's the issue of whoever isn't driving.

Did you put Parfait in the RV or maybe let her ride the bike for a while, or are you two staying separate from the others for as long as you can?

Comments

• edited December 2013
    I haven't seen Ro since he stumbled upon that massive Junkship find a few years ago. He came rolling into Walmart with an obscene amount of jingle, and invested it in a business with the head of security's son — who was subsequently shot in a breakout of the Walmart jail. He lost a considerable sum of that jingle trying to make the business work on his own — but the trust just wasn't there.

What impressed me was Ro's incredible ability to delude himself. He truly believed that the loss was some Karmic balance, when most people thought the investment to be rather insecure. I suppose it worked out in the end, though... The jingle was distributed to the workers as the project chugged along, and ultimately failed when the mismanaged funds were tapped.

The ride is bumpy, and Parfait pressed against my back is ... distracting, to say the least. The plan is to stay separate from the others in the event of trouble as best we can, so we're riding the bike together. I've given Parfait the assault rifle, and am at the helm.
  • Ro spends half the trip writing down little signs and drawing pictures on a notepad and putting it up against the glass of his window for you and Parfait. He was opening the window and yelling to you, but Kodak put a stop to that.

After eight hours in the saddle, you're getting sore and tired. If you want to press on, or swap out and press on, give me an Act Under Fire. If you want to find a good spot to pull over and camp, then you'll need to ride up to chat with Kodak about that. And yes, he'll pull over to let folks stretch their legs and talk to you. At this rate, you would hit Bubble City in the early, early morning and not spend a night in the scrublands.
  • Normally I would not have any problems red-eyeing the ride, but given that we'll be dealing with people as soon as we ride into Bubble City, and I don't want to risk a tumble with Parfait behind me, I opt to ride up alongside Kodak, and flag him down.
  • Kodak sees you waving and slowly pulls over. The sun is setting in a transit, most likely. It's already orange and red in the sky instead of bright yellow. Rather pretty, really.

Everyone comes out of the RV and spread out, stretching legs, using the bathroom (even though there's one in the RV). Parfait heads out to squat by a bush herself. Gala stares at her in disbelief, but she was wearing a dress, she didn't flash people.

Kodak heads over to your bike, his eyes searching the scrub for any sign of trouble. What would he be worried about, Jack? He asks, "You doin alright? Need anything?"
  • Out here on the way to Bubble City there isn't much in the way of trouble, other than the temperatures this place can get to at night... I've seen honest to gods snow fall in the middle of the summer season — let alone now — if the conditions are right. That and plaguedogs — they hunt at night.

"We're alright," I answer, "aside from thinking it would be best to get a good night sleep rather than ride on. Would you be willing to set up camp, and finish the last leg of the trip tomorrow? That way we can be well rested for the dealings."
  • Kodak looks at you for a moment, then over to Parfait, which makes him chuckle a bit. "Jack, no offense intended, but is she... all there?" He seems more amused than irritated. I mean, she has been riding with you all day.
  • I frown a bit, and blink a few times as he berates Parfait for not being familiar with the social expectations being thrust upon her. I sigh, "Kodak, I was quite serious when I told you and your father, in confidence, that Parfait has suffered abuse at the hands of her family. I understand that her lack of social graces may be amusing, but I am trying to introduce her to society — a process which is going to take some time. A process we've only just begun."

I try to recapture his gaze, "please be patient with her."
  • Kodak raises a had, "Alright, alright, ease up, Jack. I haven't said anything to anyone, but they've asked me about her. If you say she's safe, then she's safe."

Ro is chatting with her, by the way, pointing out the mesa, asking her some questions, friendly stuff.

Why don't you roll a Manip on Kodak to get him to make camp?
  • Safe? "What do you mean?"

OOC: Manipulating Kodak. Roll+Hot. +1XP Rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 6, 2. Total: 9)
  • edited December 2013
    Kodak makes a bit of a face, like how-do-I-say-this? "Tell you what, Jack. I'm good to camp here, for the night. Are you and Parfait good to sleep out here?" His tone says that he'd prefer it that way.

What do you do?
  • I nod, "Yes, that's fine — Kodak, don't feel the need to sugar-coat issues with me. Be frank."
  • Kodak motions with his head for you to walk with him. He heads down the road, walking slow, talking with you while pointing out some random something like it might be important. Once he's out of earshot, he says, "Listen, she's your passenger, on your bike, so really, I don't care. But, a couple of the crew are wigged out by Parfait. They think she's... not right. So, just, you know sleep out here and we can just keep moving in the morning."

He stops walking, looks over at you, "You guys need a tent or some blankets?"
  • Damn it... This bothers me. Parfait has been quite good in my eyes. Perhaps a bit green, but not dangerous, or warranting distrust. Not that I've seen anyway... I suppose I should have expected this. It will be some time before the mannerisms she grew up with are suppressed enough that she doesn't look quite so uncomfortable.

Still – I only feel concern for Parfait. Their harsh judgement of her is unwarranted, seeing as they can't see the curious and kind woman behind the awkwardness.

I nod, "the tent and some spare blankets would be appreciated. We'll be ready in the morning." I head back to Parfait. I suddenly don't want her to be alone with these people, lest they say or do something stupid.
  • edited December 2013
    When you come within earshot, Ro's saying, "... a plaguedog? Really? I didn't know they domesticated."

Parfait replies confidently, "I don't exactly know what you mean, but I had one for a pet. He was really mean. Kept him for a whole season."

"What happened to him?" Ro asks.

Parfait answers sadly, "We ran out of food, so we ate him."

Ro replies "... oh."

Then Parfait notices your arrival and says hi.

What do you do?
  • I smile back at Parfait and wave, then step up next to Ro, "Plaguedogs don't domesticate. Parfait's family simply enjoyed the idea of having a big mean dog guarding their territory... Good Evening Ro. I appreciated the pretty pictures during the ride — they were entertaining, to say the least."

I look to Parfait, "it appears as though we'll be camping here for the night, my dear. Kodak will lend us a tent and some extra blankets to keep warm."
  • "Ooooh, that sounds great, Jack! We can sleep under the moons and stars!" Parfait coos.

Ro smirks, "You're a unique lady, Parfait. And I'm glad you enjoyed the art, Jack. So, Parfait, where did you say you're from again?"

She blinks a few times, looks over to you with a slightly worried look. Of course, Ro sees all this.

What do you do?
  • I sigh and shake my head, "she didn't, because I told her not to. Parfait has a rather... Traumatic past that I would rather she not have to relive through retelling." I give him a measured look, narrowing my eyes to gauge his response. "It's nothing personal, you understand."
  • Ro says all calm and reassuring, "No, I get it. We all have parts of our past we don't like talking about, it's flash. Just chatting. Anyways, you guys need any help pitching a tent?"
  • I nod thankfully for his understanding in the matter, and smile, "Help putting up the tent would be appreciated, yes."
  • Anything in particular you want to do around the crew in the time before everyone beds down, or should we skip ahead?
  • No. Just start a fire and cook something over it with whoever will join us. I'm not going to make any effort to socialize with people who think ill of my sweet Parfait.
  • edited December 2013
    The cooking fire draws in Ro and Gala. Kodak stays in the RV with Bank, they eat some food out of cans. Or maybe the microwave works, who knows.

Since you say "join us", I assume you mean share the food, right? What is it?

Ro's a natural tale teller. He's talking about his big brother Altoids, "I saw Alt (which he says like "Al" with a "t" at the end, not like it's short for alternate) a few weeks ago. He said he saw a couple First Men in the valley. You know they're all clones, right? All of em matched up pairs, like those creepy kids at Cat. You ever seen those little guys before?" Gala nods. Parfait shakes her head no. How do you react to that question?

Ro continues, "Alt said they didn't bother him or the caravan, but they were pretty scary guys. Said they were big hairy guys, like cavemen, hunted with bows as tall as me. Aint that a story?"

Gala breaks in with a story about Red Robin attacking Aquafina and the truck. She, no he, goes on about those Wendys, making them a pretty formidable threat. Gala keeps asking you stuff like, "Aint that right, huh?", stuff like that. And in Gala's version, "he" shot the Wendy that took down the tailgate, and also killed a couple Wendys when you hit the road again. It's an out and out lie.

Of course, Gala is making those Wendys out to be baby-eating demons, describing blood on their teeth, stuff like that. Parfait's just listening, eyes wide, sort of shocked into silence. She keeps looking over at you, worried.

What do you do?
  • I brought Parfait out hunting our last day before leaving Boomtown. She managed to trap a few small critters, and we're roasting them now. There were enough to last a few days; but in the interest of breaking misconceptions these people may have about Parfait, we've decided to share with whoever wants some.

I nod when Ro asks if I've seen the clones at Cat. I knocked one out of a roof once. I smirk at his attempt to use "ain't that a story" to pull in the audience — as if inviting them to question his tale for truth. I suppose it is quite the story...

When Gala breaks into the story about Red Robin, I stick an arm around Parfait — as a couple might at a campfire — and kiss her forehead when she looks to me nervously the first time. I let Gala play the hero, shooting the Wendy that took out the tailgate, and killing a few Wendys who "followed" us after the fact — of course there were no such Wendys, and the one who took down the tailgate made off with Aqua's electronics...

It's only when he gets to the part describing the Wendys as these inhuman beasts where I speak up. "Come now... You're just trying to frighten people. Their ferocity and dedication to the fight was impressive, to be sure, but that truck looking to ram us broke off the moment a few bullets flew its way." I rub Parfait's shoulder. I remember hearing the tales people told of the Wendys for the first time too — I was not unlike her, in her surprise. "This nonsense about these Wendys being inhuman monsters is insufferable — they are raiders, likely drugged up beyond reason before their attacks — and every time I've encountered them they've managed to find new ways to confuse me."
  • You've buttered them up with hospitality, Jack. Let's see if you can Manipulate these guys into reconsidering the tales of the Wendys or not.
  • OOC: Manipulating the crowd. Roll+Hot. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 2, 5. Total: 8)
  • Gala narrows eyes, not sure how to stay badass-sounding and refute your words, but "he's" not going to give up on the food to say anything else. Ro looks at you and Parfait for a long time. He puts down his plate of meat and asks, "Alright, Jack. I've been around a good bit, seen lots of things that are true, others that are tall tales. But the proof of things, is in the beholder, yeah? Tell me about a Wendy you've met who didn't try to kill you, drag you away, or just plain terrorize you."

He looks to Gala, "Cause I've never seen one."
  • I dig my stick down into the dirt, to let my meat hang over the fire and keep it warm. They want to know about a Wendy who hasn't terrorized me? I'll make it simple. "My brother," I say plainly, "who was captured by them when we were children, and made to paint himself in that frightening image. I was driving north from Redcliffe in the dead of night with Aquafina and Rinso, when we fell upon a Wendy ambush. We ran into a ditch they'd dug, and broke an axle. If not for the fact that my brother found me, we may all have died..."

I pause, recalling the events of that evening with a grim expression on my face... I remember the look in Aquafina's eyes. It still haunts me. "Instead, I managed to reason with him — bargain for the lives of Aquafina and Rinso in exchange for my own. My brother convinced the Wendy group to let him take me to my mother... And then he set me free."
  • Parfait stares at you when you tell the story, amazed at how bold you are, a little confused why you're breaking what seem to be your own unspoken rules, but still impressed.

Gala and Ro listen. Gala shakes "his" head makes a face like this is unbelievable. Ro says with appreciation in his voice, "That's a mighty fine tale. Your own brother?"

Then Gala interjects with, "I saw Aqua's truck, crashed in a ditch, stripped and painted with Wendy marks."

"Could it even be? Ro asks.

"Its true. Jack was captured by Wendys, and he lived." Parfait says solidly. "The Wendys hunt to survive. Some are demons. Most are people. Like the people of the flats. Some are demons, most are people." She doesn't look to you for support this time, Jack. She's supporting you.

It's quiet for a bit, just the crackling fire, sounds of them eating. Ro seems thoughtful, Gala has moved on to other thoughts.

What do you do?
  • I take my meat back, and pick at it cautiously... I give Parfait an appreciative kiss on the cheek, and brush her hair a bit. Ro's expression has me intrigued though... My dear boy Ro — what's on your mind?
  • OOC: Reading Ro. Roll+Weird*. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 4, 6. Total: 13)
  • OOC: Holding 3
    Q1: What is Ro really feeling?
  • Ro believes you. He's sitting there reconciling all the stories he's heard and those who told the tales, thinking on the few attacks he's survived, too. Playing it over in his head, remixing it to see if maybe he saw what he wanted to see.

It's tough, beating down fables.
  • Huh... Well, I'll be. Perhaps there is some hope, for some people. I relax, and slick a strand of hair back behind my ears. I wonder — is he the kind of man that might help spread this kind of acceptance?

OOC:
    Q2: How can I get Ro to promote the idea that not all Wendys are monsters?
  • There's a difference between considering a lie's veracity and spreading the word about it. While Ro's got a certain strength in his self-delusion, he's not the proselytizing type.

If he were to meet a pack of Wendys and survive, see that they're like you say, well, then the stories he tells around future campfires would feature that moment for damn sure.
  • Hmm... Well, I have no intention of dragging the poor boy out to a Wendy encampment, that's for sure — and there is no way he'd ever encounter the tribe proper without purposefully wandering into Wendy territory. Surely he's not that naive... Is he?

OOC:
    Q3: What does Ro intend to do?
  • Well, right now, Ro intends on sweet talking Gala and then frakking the hell out of her. He's been pretty successful with the "let me rub off some of my lucky on you" line in the past. He's actually curious if she'll frak like a man or not.

As for later, he thinks you're pretty interesting. He just might stick around you after the work at Bubble City. Till he's bored.
  • ... Well, to each his own. Good on Gala, I suppose, for hooking someone. I'm content to let the crew stay and chat for a while, but eventually I'll curl up with Parfait, and watch the stars with her until we fall asleep.
  • It's late, Jack. Maybe a transit left before dawn. Parfait is returning to join you in the tent, climbing into the blankets, there's scant moonlight and the fire outside is embers. She picks her way carefully to snuggle in with you, but well, you're awake now.

She snuggles in front of you, gently pulling your arm over her body, which she seems to really like. At least, that's how she sleeps now, with you. After a few minutes, she whispers, "Jack... Gala was swallowing Ro's penis." you taught her that word, right? "I watched them, just now. Ro liked it. Is that something people of the flats do?"
  • And just when I was thinking we could share a tender moment together in silence, Parfait's reduced me to a chuckling, snorting mess. Dear me... "She wasn't swallowing it my dear, she was simply pleasuring him. Do you recall the way Barinet pleased you back in Boomtown? With her mouth? Gala was simply practicing the male equivalent of that." I hold her closely, "sexuality out here in the flats, the act of having sex, is much more personal. Showing vulnerability is a way of showing that you trust someone — and for a man, there are very few things that make you more vulnerable than letting someone place their mouth on your penis, my dear."

I kiss her forehead, and whisper, "watching people do these things without their consent is often considered rude, my dear... They are meant to be private moments. If somebody had caught you doing it, it's possible they will not trust you to respect privacy. Do I not satisfy your curiosities and desires, my dear?"
  • She pauses, not turning to face you, since its so dark and cold she wouldn't be able to see you well and it would pull her out of the blankets. After a moment, she says, "I didn't try to sneak on them. I was going to pee. I don't think they saw me, Jack."

Then a few moments later, explaining quietly, "I want to know everything." Then, she assures you, "You are enough, Jack I am happy."
  • I feel bad for jumping to conclusions... Parfait is a surprisingly innocent soul, for someone who has done as many things as she has. I sigh, and hold her a little more tightly. "I'm sorry my dear... One of the truckers spoke to me earlier about you, and his words were so misguidedpresumptuous — it has me on edge..."

I kiss her cheek, "thank you for being patient with me my dear, and standing with me as I spoke of the Wendys earlier... We may change hearts yet."
  • As you kiss her cheek, you feel the muscles of her face tighten as she smiles. Another thing she's picked up. Wendys don't really smile, showing teeth is a sign of menace. She's quiet for few minutes.

Then in a quiet voice, "Do you like that, Jack? The thing Gala did?" And the thing is, she's asking if you want a blow-job, but she's really asking if you trust her.

What do you do?
  • edited December 2013
    I'm quiet a moment — contemplating the question, and the weight behind it. I could never really relax with someone while being intimate before that chat with my Mother... I would dodge it, and try and force my earbuds on them, and try and make it as unpleasurable as possible, to keep myself from hurting them.

With Parfait, though? I am truly at ease. She not only accepts my "gift" — but embraces it. How could I not trust a woman like that? I whisper, "from most women? No... From you though? I think I would like it very much."
  • Well, she's going to do it, Jack. Right now, which you probably expected. She's only seen it for a few seconds, this is going to be a rough ride. Do you grin and bear it, or try to guide her?

Tell you what, if you want to grin and bear it, Act Under Fire. If you try to coax her through it without hurting her feelings, Manipulate or Seduce her.
  • Let's go the route of seduction... I'm not adverse to a little reciprocation in the event she needs an example of how to do things.
  • OOC: Seducing Parfait into letting me guide her. Roll+Hot. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 3, 6. Total: 10)
  • Well, she doesn't exactly have a penis, but sure, some reciprocation helps. Well, helps quite a bit, really.

And of course, she lets you. Because its a show of trust. Oh and by the way, now that little comment Barinet made about feasting on her is funny to Parfait. The joke clicks, at some point during this slightly awkward, mostly sensual moment between you.

Shall we skip ahead, or is there conversation afterwards?
  • Let's skip ahead. We really should cat-nap a bit after this.
  • You wake up when Ro pulls the tent up. Evidently you slept in. Parfait said you looked funny drooling.

And you're back on the road in a half hour, fed and all that. What was breakfast like? Parfait made it for you. Parfait wants to ride the bike today, you on the back seat. Any objections?

You should roll into Bubble City by the afternoon.
  • Breakfast was delicious — Parfait used some leftovers from last night along with some berries she found to make a sweet little treat for us. She wasn't particularly kidding about being a decent cook. Obviously she's not as trained as Butter Nut is, but her knowledge of flora and fauna is quite advantageous to living out in the scrub.

I have no objections letting Parfait drive. After 8-hours of straight driving yesterday, I'm happy to relax in the back seat for a while. I'll just sit there with my rifle out, and answer whatever questions she may have about Bubble City, and how to behave in public.
  • Parfait doesn't ask many questions this morning. She isn't withdrawn, far from it, she's enjoying the ride. There's a pleasurable zen in just riding, and she finds it. The ride is pretty laid back, actually. No expectation of raiders this close to Bubble City.

Why do raiders stay so far from Bubble City anyways?

You notice that Gala isn't up on "his" perch as much. "He" checks on Ro a few times, they chat, being friendly, as far as you can tell. I mean, it isn't like you're going out of your way to watch them. What did you see that maybe they didn't want you to see, Jack?
  • I suppose that frees me up to observe the people then! I expect this will be a restful morning...

Well... At least until I saw Gala doing an impersonation of someone sloppily giving someone a blowjob — wild biting gestures and all — and tossing a thumb over her shoulder towards us... Ro looked over to us, but I'm not sure if he caught my sidelong glance. I looked away pretty quickly.

Bubble City is a reasonably rich place, and so they've been able to pay tribute to the various warlords in the area quite well. That — and there are very few places raiders could hide out here in the middle of the flats. I look forward to showing Parfait the structures here. They're otherworldly.
  • You pull into Bubble City, and as soon as Parfait sees the rounded domes, she slows down and squeals, "Jack! This is Bubble City?!? I've never seen anything like it! Ooh look, another Tower! You need a radio on this bike, Jack! This is, uhm, what's the word? Flesh?"
  • "Flash, actually," I correct, "it is quite a sight, isn't it? When the deal is done, perhaps we can look around the market — find a little radio." I kiss her cheek, "and if we're particularly fortunate, we can return here in some time to stay in the flats-famous Rose Room."
  • Parfait parks the bike beside Kodak's RV, and you both hop off. Kodak comes down, says, "Gala, Ro, stick by the RV. I don't expect trouble, but there's no reason to be careless. Jack, you're with me."

Do you bring Parfait along? I'm guessing so, right?

Kodak leads you on into Bubble City itself, which is a large set of dome structures, all created from the same rather abundant quick-crete, except the folks of Bubble City have perfected a way to form up big rubber domes and pour the quick-crete over it, put a sturdy metal frame for support, then more quick-crete. The resulting "city" is a community of maybe a couple hundred souls living in a weird honeycomb-like series of dwellings. Most of the residences are formed in circles, not rows, with pretty courtyards and hidden entrances. It is very easy to get lost here.

But your guide knows the way. He takes both of you directly to an area where there are four over-sized bubble homes, with double-doors, obviously more pblic spaces, folks coming in and going out. There are no signs, though, which is less than helpful. He picks the second structure, pushing open a door for you.

You come into a large wide-open space with stacks of crates in various places around you. There are customers here, picking through electronics, dried goods, toys, even a few items of clothing. Kodak heads for a small bar to the left side, chats with the clerk, who takes you to a back room that was hidden away behind some black curtains.

In this back room is an entirely different dome structure with very neatly organized racks of parts, pieces, tires, gun parts, drums of liquids, a full supply store. Kodak calls out to an older man who is talking with a pair of younger folks, "Hey Dime-line!" The old man waves him over out of the way on the warehouse floor, so to speak. Kodak comes up, shakes his hand and introduces you.

What do you do?
  • I do bring Parfait along. She's been rather quiet in meetings such as this, and it gives me an excuse to show her a little bit more of the work I do.

I never did wander into Bubble city very far — I must admit, the place has me a little turned around. Thankfully I've figured out that walking in a straight line only requires a few alternating turns. The change in atmosphere of this place — from a humble sundries shop to what looks like a gang's wet-dream — it unsettles me a bit. What is it about this place?

I reach out to Dime-line when I'm introduced, and shake his hand. "Jack," I say with a smile, "and my girl Parfait."
  • Dime-line has sharp eyes and sagging skin. He might've been strong once, but now he's only strong in spirit. Those two guys he was talking with, family resemblance. You get the feeling this is a tight group. He gives a firm handshake to you, and a gentle one to Parfait. He doesn't smile with his mouth, but he looks "nicely" at her.

"Good to meet you," Dime-line says simply.

Kodak fires off, "We've got some good barter with us, and I need a list of items. I don't want to pay Tradertown for this stuff, so I've come to you." He pulls a folded set of papers out of his jacket, hands them to Dime-line, "Here's a rundown of what we need. We're in for a couple days. Can you give me an idea of what you can fulfill? And, you wanna send someone back with me to look through our barter?"

Dime-line holds up a hand, "Slow down, Kodak. Slow down." He opens up the papers slowly, reaches into a shirt pocket and pulls out a pair of glasses and begins to read over the pages.

What do you do?
  • I was not aware Bubble City had a family running such a successful business — I always thought of this place as something of a place rich people come to spend jingle. I suppose I was wrong.

I stand back, with my arm around Parfait's waist, generally absorbing the situation. My earbuds are out, and I'm watching Kodak make a fool of himself. Now would be a good time for me to start paying attention to the whispers in the room, I suppose...
  • OOC: Reading Dime-line. Roll+Weird*. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 5, 5. Total: 13)
  • Holding 3.
  • Kodak fidgets while Dime-line pores over the pages. The old man clucks his tongue a few times, shakes his head at a few items. He even chuckles once, looks up at Kodak as if to say are you serious?.

Parfait is watching this like some popular game of jugging, looking back and forth between the two men with an amused half-smile.

He folds the pages back up, puts them in a pocket and says, "I can get you most of the list for twenty five."

Kodak narrows his eyes at the old man, and bites his tongue. He glances over at you and says, "Jack, can we chat for a second?"

What do you do?
  • Well now I'm most curious what's on that list. 25 jingle is just an enormous amount of money. I look over to Kodak and nod, "certainly."

I am sure to stay roughly in sight of Dime-line, but I look to Kodak, confused, and ask, "what seems to be the problem?"
  • Kodak is smiling, looking at Dime-line, too. He leans in and says, "We could get most of that list from Tradertown for half that. I need to know why he's driving up the price so high. The last runner said he was wiling to deal, but it took me a couple weeks to gather up this trade."
  • I poke my head out back to Dime-line, and reach out to his mind — what on earth could cause you to drive up the price to such exorbitant highs?

OOC:
    Q1: How can I get Dime-line to seal the deal at 12-barter?
  • Dime-line would drop the price if Kodak wasn't asking for that water purification system. He knows what value it has, and he'll gouge Kodak on it because they never discussed it beforehand. Plus, he's only got one and it will take a while to fabricate and build a new one.
  • I look back to Kodak, and whisper, "How badly do you need that water purification system? His eye hovered on it, and he laughed when he saw it on the list... If you could do without it — or at the very least walk away without it now — I'm sure he'd be a little more reasonable in price."
  • Kodak chews on the inside of his cheek for a moment. "Frak. We need it, Jack. I was willing to tick off a third of the list to get it." He makes eye contact with you, "Boomtown is growing too fast, and the elders don't want to stifle growth with a tax. Dad and I want to set up a water system so at least one growing pain won't come back and bite us in the ass. We could put it off for a few weeks, but then I'll be right back here again. Or riding to Tradertown to get thrown over a bigger barrel there."
  • This is problematic... I suppose this will require a little more effort than I'm used to. I motion for Kodak to follow me, and rejoin the conversation with Dime-line. "Forgive us, Dime-line — I think it was unreasonable of us to spring such a tremendous order on you with such short notice. I have a proposition — why don't we take the list, strike the water purification system from it, and discuss that once we've settled the rest of the list?"

I keep my posture and tone professional, "the system is important enough that it merits its own discussion — perhaps with separate terms. What do you think?"
  • Dme-line nods. Jack, you see that clears things up. The two of them agree on a price range at half that, depending on the value of what Kodak brought. Dime-line says, "Jack, why don't you and Kodak and your friend Parfait here join me and my family for supper tonight?" He smiles to Parfait, adding, "Once you've had a chance to relax and refresh yourselves."

Kodak is trying to get Dime-line outside to the RV to check on his goods, but Dime-line doesn't seem that interested.
  • A dinner invitation... Interesting. I'll have to run Parfait through some etiquette, I suppose, but that shouldn't be an issue.

I wonder what he hopes to gain by showing us hospitality...

OOC:
    Q2: what does Dime-line intend to do?
  • Dime-line intends on finding out more about you, Jack. He's heard about you traveling around, and then you show up with Kodak and some pretty girl. To him, pretty girls are adornments, so he thinks you're using her to distract him. He intends on getting you drunk and seeing why you're valuable to other folks. He'll also want to know what your price is, of course. For future reference.
  • I smile to Dime-line, and bow graciously, "we would be honored. Parfait and I will be camping out near the outskirts — what time should we return for dinner?"

I've never met a man who asks me my price for services rendered without a job in mind... Speak up, Dime-line — you can't hide these things from me.

OOC:
    Q3: What does Dime-line wish I'd do?
  • Dime-line wants you to be his. Not sexually, he's too old for such nonsense. He knows you're valuable to folks and he likes valuable things other people have. He wants you to be available to him, he can figure out how to use you later.
  • Well... That's less than encouraging... I suppose I should stay reasonably sober tonight...

I've made arrangements with people for exclusive, on-call services before — but often I'm very picky about the terms of such a contract. I like my freedom — and I like having a guilt-free conscience. Settling down only gives people an opportunity to learn about my past... Damn.
  • Alright, let's skip ahead and do a fun little custom move for dinner with Dime-line!.

When you eat with "Dime-line the Collector", roll +Hot.
    On a hit, choose options. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one.
    * You make a great impression on him; Take +1 Forward dealing with Dime-line
    * You told an amusing or interesting story; detail it, and you get a 1-barter gift
    * Dime-line will answer two questions about anything in Bubble City truthfully
    * You met someone interesting at Dime-line's table; detail them and take +1 HX with this person

On a miss, you did or said something awful. Take -1 Ongoing with Dime-line until you make up for it with a 1-barter gift or doing something he asks
  • OOC: Schmoozing with Dime-line. Roll+Hot. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 2, 4. Total: 7)
  • OOC: I'm going to take +1forward on him. I suspect he likes me.
  • You wake the next crisp morning with Parfait. She mentions that mornings are cold out here, that the dead days are coming. Ro comes out from the RV to greet you. He was there at the dinner, laughed at your stories, chuckled when he watched Parfait trying to open a crab when her bare hands.

Ro brought you some coffee, "Here's a cup, just brewed it inside. I love this Arvee thing Kodak has." Parfait tries her cup, makes a face, but drinks some more. At one point, Ro mentions, "You know, for a man, Gala sure is a good lay." He laughs and takes another couple sips.

Roma comes out to greet you. Her hair's a mess, she looks half awake. "Hey Ro! Hey Jack!" She hugs your neck tight, Jack, then offers a hand to Parfait, "Hi, I'm Roma, the DJ."

"I listened to you!" Parfait says, taking Roma's hand with both of her own and shaking vigorously. Then she adds, "I'm Parfait!"

Roma is totally checking her out, by the way. She looks over at you, "Hey, you bastard, where the hell have you been?" Her tone is playful. How long has it been since she saw you? It wasn't here, was it?
  • edited December 2013
    I'm never very quick to rise in the mornings, and the colder mornings certainly do not help with that... I'm very eager to have any kind of warm drink in me, and Ro's coffee certainly does hit the spot. My expression falls a little flat when he mentions Gala — I suppose I'm still a little bitter about her crude gesturing yesterday during the trip.

I smile when Roma emerges and kiss her cheek in greeting when she wraps her arms around me. I've yet to actually say anything... This coffee is particularly good, you see...

I haven't seen Roma in years — since she was down south with that Aero character, looking for a woman named Fox. We spent a night drinking, and griping about not being understood by society by and large. We toasted its downfall, actually — in jest of course. I take another sip of my coffee to instill some strength to my voice, "around," I answer, hoarsely. "*Ahem*, excuse me... Around. I'm always on the move. So you've set up here as a DJ, have you?"
  • "Yeah, more or less," Roma says, rubbing her head and looking up to the tower. She turns back, "Metro and Kelly Tires talked me into it, so it's their fault, really. I figure, till they get rid of me, I'll push good music on the folks of the flats." She turns to Parfait, "Hey, Parfait, how did you end up traveling with these two goofs?"

"Jack is my boyfriend." she replies quickly. She looks to Ro, "Ro is frakking a man in our caravan." Roma laughs at that one, eyes wide.

Ro raises his hands defensively, "Whoah now, let's not start a rumor now. I'm not into guys..."

"Sure... sure, Ro." Roma laughs. "Did you pull the let the lucky rub off on ya thing on her?"

Ro chuckles, "It works... every time."

Roma reaches over to punch his arm playfully, "Didn't work on me!"

Ro rolls his eyes, "You don't count."

She punches him again, a little harder, "Frak you, you little prick. I will lay you out." Ro raises his off hand in surrender. She laughs again, then says, "I'm heading up to the booth.... you guys wanna come check it out?"

Parfait looks at you, Jack, eager to say yes. You've got to head to market soon.

What do you do?
  • I nod, "I imagine it would be quite interesting to see a radio booth. Just know, I've got to be quick — I've got to be in the market shortly to deal over that Water Filter."
  • edited December 2013
    A few minutes later and the four of you are crowded into the radio tower. Roma's showing off all the dials and knobs and what-not. It's a impressive array of cobbled together tech from numerous decades. Roma fires things up, and lets you pick the first song of the day's broadcast. What do you pick from her collection of mostly hip, rap, R&B and dancey tunes?

Do you let Parfait stay with Roma? Ro takes off after a bit, wanting to get some breakfast and look through the stores.
  • Not being familiar with Hip, Rap, R&B, and Dancey tunes, I'm afraid I'll have to pick one at random... This gentleman, Deadmau5, I think I've heard Roma speak of him before. He sounded tolerable.

I pull Parfait aside and ask her if she'd like to stay. If she would — and is comfortable with the appropriately vague responses we've devised regarding her history — then I'll gladly go take care of this bit of business first.
  • Parfait gleefully stays and assures you she'll be fine.

Ro walks out with you, chatting about some good deals he saw last night, a pair of earplugs that look a bit like yours that you might want to pick up, a thick sleeping bag, stuff like that.

You meet Kodak outside Dime-line's, head in, through the store section, through the curtain to the warehouse area and further back this time, to an area near a very thick set of metal doors, like a loading and unloading area.

Kodak points out the water filtration system, which looks like this:
    Water Sys

"That... is one magical piece of technology, Jack." Kodak says with true admiration, the kind of emotion you might have for, you know, your mother or maybe even Parfait.
  • It could be I'm missing the point of this object — which I'm gathering makes water drinkable in large volumes — but the idea of this object being as valuable as my mother, or Parfait is the exact reason Kodak has allowed himself to be manipulated over it. In the end, it is only a thing...

I look it over, and nod, "I suppose it's quite valuable then... How much are you able to pay for it?"
  • "I can afford eight. That's it, that means we'll have no barter for emergencies on the return trip." Kodak answers low, just for your ears.

The double doors open, and a couple workers come inside, followed by Dime-line. He's wearing a very long shirt, with comfortable cotton pants underneath, with sandals. He inclines his head to you, and then to Kodak.

Kodak leads off the barter, offering six. Dime-line advises the unit is worth eleven. Kodak argues about some of the tech he has to trade, and Dime-line agrees to give him seven for the lot of it, but refuses to let the water processor for for seven He begins offering a few different items for Kodak's trade, acting as if the deal for the water system has completely failed. Kodak gives you a glance, seeing if you can pull it back

What do you do?
  • edited December 2013
    I'm going to regret this... "Say the deal were sweetened," I interject, calmly, "say Boomtown were to loan you something." I look Dime-line dead in the eye, reaching out to that basest of desires he shared with me to own that which was not his. I know he understands what I'm offering. "Let the cost of the water cooler stand at, say, seven, and we work out a deal for my services... Exclusive services... For a few weeks."
  • "Deal." Dime-line says without flinching.

There's a pregnant moment, where Kodak looks at the two of you, just to make sure this really happened. Then he shakes Dime-line's hand and the deal is done.

Kodak asks, "Jack, are you staying here, or coming back later?"
  • I look over to him, uncertain of why he would want me to go back with him. "Parfait and I have taxed your crew enough, I would think... There is no sense in overstaying our welcome." I do not say that harshly... It is merely something I have become accustomed to – and must be prepared to accept.

"If you cannot afford to pay me now, then you know where to find me when you can... Or at the very least, I know where I can find a short-term room for Parfait and I if it comes to it." I offer him my hand to shake.
  • Kodak looks at you in the eye when he shakes your hand, "If you can wait on pay, I'll double it when you get to Boomtown. Thanks for your help. Good luck, Jack."

Dime-line waits for the two of you to finish up. He pulls you aside while the two men who came in with him head off with Kodak to get the water purification system on the Arvee. Dime-line says, "The rumors I've heard are true. You do you have a way of knowing the hearts of people." He smiles, showing his slightly yellowed teeth.

"You and Parfait are welcome to stay in my home." He says, putting a hand on your arm. "In fact, I'd prefer it. There are many people I want you to speak with, Jack. This is going to be a very productive few weeks. I insist on paying you, though. The deal is made, but the work I need from you, I must pay you for it."

This is Dime-line, by the way:
    Dime-line

What do you do?
  • Double? Imagine that. I bow courteously, and let him go.

I suppose I cannot turn down an offer to stay here. "Very well... My only request is that Parfait's and my privacy be respected. If you can promise me that, then we will stay here."

If he has no qualms, then I will go fetch her.
  • Dime-line has no qualms. He gives you directions to find his estate, says to head there when you like, his children will be expecting you, work will begin after supper. "Until then, do what you wish."

You head back to Junk Radio for Parfait. The speakers are booming with some dancey song with repetitive lyrics, "Around the World. Around the World. Around the World." Somehow the sound of those words blend into the beat and become another kind of instrument.

Parfait is dancing in the broadcast room, dancing like nobody's watching, gyrating with wild abandon. Roma's got a pair of big headphones on, she's head bobbing to the music, watching Parfait with a big smile.

Oh, and by the way, the room, it smells like the weed used to produce "the smoke", like the temple used to use. It didn't before. Hell, its so thick you might get a contact high in a bit.

What do you do?
  • I take my leave of Dime-line as soon as he gives me permission, and make my way directly to the station.

Finding Parfait dancing in a haze of that sickening weed is something of a mixed blessing. It is good to see her enjoying herself, but the weed has a tendency to make one sick in high enough concentrations – let alone the adverse effects it has on your mind. Forgetfulness, the feeling of bliss and suggestibility... I've always needed my wits about me. I cannot let myself get high. I open the door to the booth, and let the wall of smoke pass. "Parfait?" I call out, "Parfait my dear, can we speak a moment?"
  • Parfait stops dancing wildly, a wide, goofy smile on her face. She nods, leans over to sloppily hug Roma, who waves at you, Jack. Parfait prances out of the booth to stand by you at the landing on top of the ladder. It's close quarters, so she just stands close, her torso touching yours. "Yes, my sexy Jack?" she purrs.

What do you do?
  • Well this is... Interesting. "I've got a job for the next couple of weeks, my dear." I whisper, finding my arms slip themselves around her waist. "We'll be staying with the gentleman Dime-line for a few weeks, collecting some jingle. Have you been enjoying yourself?"
  • Parfait nods, an exaggerated gesture. "We're staying here? That makes me even HAPPIER!" She throws her arms around your neck and hugs you tight.

After a moment, she pulls back, trusting in your hold on her waist and even leaning back a bit, putting herself almost off balance if not for you holding her up. "Roma is very nice to me. We are friends. I did the weed with her. I am flying like a bird!"

Below you, you see Kodak, Ro and Gala working with a couple of Dime-line's workers to get the Arvee loaded up with the water filtration system. Ro sees you two and chuckles.

What do you do?
  • Is this what the weeds do to people? Good gods... I hold her tight, and consider just how long we could stay here. I like seeing her happy – even if it is a drug induced high. I simply hope this doesn't become a regular thing. "Easy my dear," I say with a grin, "let's not leap from the balcony. Would you like to see our room while we're here?"
  • She swoops in to inches from your face to ask in an animated excitement, "IS IT THE ROSE ROOM?!?!?"
  • ... Damn. I knew I shouldn't have gotten her hopes up. She's particularly excited by this weed. It seems so ... odd.

"No, sadly... That's the kind of room one can only spend a night in." I try to soften the blow, "but I've got some jingle coming our way after the job is done — I promise that I'll get you a night in the rose room before we leave."
  • Her face falls a bit, and you realize it isn't because of the Rose Room. It's because she ruined your mood. She pushes her lips against yours, then pries open your mouth with her tongue, kissing you with her patented passion. Her mouth tastes bitter, the smoke and the weed mixing inside her saliva.

She spends enough time to try and distract you, wash away the disappointment, then pulls back, "Show me the room, Jack. Whatever room. I like sleeping indoors sometimes! Even though its too quiet sometimes and beds are weird."