[Junk XIII] Late Night Clinic (S 6-7)

edited December 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Stitch,

After dropping off the Candies gear, you head with Metro back to the infirmary. You know the place is mostly shut down, your night nurse is sitting in her monitoring station, not doing rounds. When you walk out of the lift, you see Sansui and Baymak sitting in the waiting room on one of the couches. As you approach, you see Combi standing in a corner, holding Beam's hand.

Sansui hops off the couch, and says, "I'll ask first, so Baymak will shut up. Where's your candy, Angel?" He laughs like he's making a joke. Baymak, he doesn't think it's funny.

What do you do?

Comments

• "Why would I have candy?" I say in a playful tone. Over my shoulder I mouth Do we have any? to Metro.

I take Sansui into an exam room, give him the standard exam for a kid. Check spine, joints, look in ears, eyes and mouth, height and weight. I ask him if he's had any pain or anything weird.
  • Metro nods, and heads back towards your room to fetch what he has.

You can give exams to Sansui, Baymak and Combi, no problem. Which one is sick and doesn't know it? What's wrong with them?

I need to know your approach to Beam.
  • Baymak is the one who's sick. He's got rickets- probably from malnutrition. I explain what it is and give him a vitamin pack, tell him to take it easy because he's at a higher risk of bone damage.

I ask Combi and Beam if they want to come in together. I'm not sure if they are related, but anything I can do to help Beam more at ease- I'll do it. I speak softly and she doesn't make eye contact with me, I don't look her in the eyes much.

"Can I give you an exam?" I ask her softly.
  • Combi and Beam aren't related. But using Combi with her gets you a conversation.

"Will it hurt?" she asks quietly. Then, with a bit of trembling in her voice, "Will I be awake?"
  • "No, it shouldn't hurt. No needles, nothing." I reassure her. "You'll be awake the whole time and I'll tell you what I'm going to do before I do it- you can tell me to stop at anytime." This girl... what happened to her?

OOC: Read Beam incoming.
  • OOC: Read Beam. Roll+sharp.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 6, 3. Total: 12)
  • Beam looks up at you for an instant, nods, then looks back down at the floor.
  • OOC: What happened to her?
  • edited December 2013
    Beam isn't Sansui's sister.

Beam is the sole survivor from the crash of this ship. Well, besides the six in stasis, of course. Oh, there were a handful of survivors from the crash, as you can see, the ship is remarkably in tact. She was in the infirmary during the crash, coming out of some minor surgery (she got tubes in her ears again).

She hid when Branigans and the gang arrived and systematically murdered her friends, her family, everyone she knew. Branny kept her as a pet for months, experimenting on her brain, moving around memories and associations and putting them, mostly, back in place. She's so mixed up that she doesn't know who she really is anymore.

And du... du took advantage of her, Stitch. Often. You don't see Nezzy or even Santiba involved in those jumbled memories, but du you most certainly see. He's a monster.

She escaped when Branigans took on his new wife, and has been hiding away ever since. The tunnel rats found her, and she shows them where to hide. Sansui adopted her, Combi befriended her, but she doesn't think they're real. She chooses to be their friends because even an imaginary friend is better than being alone, in the dark.
  • Oh fuck. I'd suspected she'd been through some rough shit, but I had no idea. She's been through it all... I have to resist the urge to kneel down and hug her- or go kill du. I do take one of her hands in mine and squeeze it very gently.

OOC: How can I help Beam get better?
  • Beam needs serious counseling, a stable home, a better diet, normal people stuff, but you know that.

But to really help her get better, you'd need to piece back together all the broken parts of her mind, Stitch. And this isn't something to be taken lightly. Because, like a homicide detective, you'll need to understand not only what Branigans did, but how he did it. That is not something you can un-learn.
  • OOC: How can I get Beam to trust me?
  • Call her by her real name. You've seen it, in her head, Stitch. What is it? It is the key to the unbroken pieces of her soul.
  • I get down on my knees in front of her and brush a bit of hair out of her face. "Amelia, I will do everything I can to keep you safe." I swallow hard, tears brimming at my eyes. I hug her. "I am real, and I want to be your friend."
  • When you call her Amelia, she looks right into your eyes, Stitch. There's a world of pain and hurt behind those lost eyes, hurt you know now like nobody else. You may even understand it better than she does.

She stiffens when you hug her, but you feel her hand gently touch your hip for just a moment. She doesn't move away, at least.

Then you tell her you want to be her friend, and she looks at you, down to the glistening wetness at the corners of your eyes, and again into your eyes. Amelia opens her mouth to speak, but nothing comes out. After a painful pause, she closes her mouth, and nods once.

Combi is nearby, of course, but she's watching with awe now, no longer protective of her friend, trusting what you're doing with her.

What do you do?
  • I don't know that I can fix what Bran did, but I can help her feel safe. I want to ask her if she'll stay with me and Metro, but I don't know how to ask in front of Combi. I don't have room for all the kids. "Would you like to stay with me for a while?" I finally just ask after a few moments of silence. "I can help."
  • Amelia looks over at Combi. She nods, just barely. She looks back to you, "Okay."
  • I smile, but it's a weary one. So much pain in this place. I finish up the exam and take both of them out into the waiting area.

"Come on." I motion for them to follow. "Let's see if I've got any food in my room.
  • Stitch,

Please go here.