[Junk XIII] Deposit on Return (K 6-7)

edited December 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Kiddo,

How long did you spend with VB before deciding to take the Candies stuff back to them anyways? Did you wake Hump or Zero to let them know?

You headed down to the deck where the Candies stay. Right now, Tootsie Roll and Mamba are here, they're chatting quietly. Mamba always looks hard and worn, but right now, it feels worse. Hell, in the brief time you've seen Toot, this is the first glimpse of her looking anything other than upbeat.

They look up when you come in. Who's with you?

Comments

• Vee's and Ma' are with me. Vee wouldn't let me go alone — mostly because I was bitching for like a whole transit about how I didn't want to go down there again. I woke up Ma' to deal with Star and them in case they were down in the Bay, still looking for their shit.

Mamba is talking, and Tootsie is being quiet? What the frak is all this about? "Hey," I whisper, "found the stuff... What's up?"
  • Mamba stands up, comes over and takes the stuff, brings it over to the table and picks through it, checking everything. Toot puts her hand up in front of you, kind of blocking you from walking over to Mamba. She says softly, looking at you and your mom, "Spree left the gang tonight. Took her babes and went down to The Bay. Mamba was just talkin about the good times with her."
  • Good.

I mean... Ok, maybe not so good for morale here — but good for the gang? Good for Omo? Frakking right it is!

This is exactly why I didn't want to join the Candys in the first place. Everything's about being a Candy... And life is so hard if you lose a Candy... And why wouldn't everyone want to be a Candy?

Maybe because the Candy lifestyle is frakking hard, yeah? For frak's sake — life is hard enough without having to put on this fake frakking face all the time, and play tough when you don't wanna be, and push people you love away 'cause they aren't a frakking Candy.

The Bay is a frakking mess though... Gods damn it... "Anyone with her?" I ask, quietly.
  • Toot glances back at Mamba. Mamba is slowly shifting the ax and sword, picking through the other bits of what-not, bits of tech for trade, a few clips of bullets, a butterfly knife, tic-tacs, a bottle of hairspray with a Bic lighter taped near the nozzle. She's moving slow, like a robot.

Then Toot turns back and answers, "Spunk, Pay and Goodbar all went with her, to, you know, watch over the babies, help out for a bit. Pay's pissed at Spree for walking away, she's trying to talk her out of it. I've never seen this many Candies cryin. It's weird... worse than a funeral, man."
  • Yeah, that's the wrong frakking call. I look to Vee, worried, before looking back to Toot, "at least she's alive."

Damn it... I've gotta get down there. I don't expect Pay will be looking forward to seeing me.
  • Zero speaks up, "Mamba, you did the right thing for the gang. For the Candy Bars. Omo will still be family, she stepped down, there's no need for bad blood." Mamba looks over, right at Zero. There's a moment of quiet communication between them, followed by Mamba nodding.

She stands up a bit straighter, then says, "We still all love Omo. She's good people."

I assume you're headed down to The Bay. At this hour? Man, that's rough. Baby wants sleep, but I guess you're worried about her, and those kids, hunh? Who's coming with you?
  • I'm sure there are many babies who want to sleep at this hour... I won't be able to sleep if I'm laying there thinking Payday is trying to convince Omo to go back to the gang. I'll just sleep in tomorrow... Besides — Stitch said no stress for new mommies. This is stressing me out — I'm just dealing with that.

I ask Ma' if she can come along, and Vee, just because I think it would be good to have a Legacy Candy around for this... They kinda carry some weight here. I'll just go with Vee if Ma's too tired though.
  • You know darn well that even if your mom was falling down tired she would keep going. Especially if you're up. I mean... really.

Down in The Bay, it's relatively quiet outside the tents and shanties. Whiskas isn't around, you don't see any Candies. How are you planning on finding Omo?
  • I dunno if there's anything to be said in the way of finding folks, but it couldn't take more than a few minutes to find them, could it? I'll keep Ma' and Vee with me though — three chicks, two of them pregnant, walking alone in the Bay at night? Given all the trouble we've had recently? Yeah... No.

We'll do a quick sweep, asking anyone if they've seen a girl with young twins around... I'm sure someone will have seen something — even if it costs a little jingle to get that info from them.
  • Sure, Kiddo. Roll+Barter spent. Take a +1 Forward on this since you're known as part of security and a member of Council and blah-blah-blah.
  • OOC: Spending 1-barter to get to Omo. Roll+barter spent, +1forward.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 6, 1. Total: 9)
  • It doesn't take long to stop someone who will help. Or at least point you in the right direction. An older guy, just leaving a tiny tent-bar, says, "Talk to Chappee. He runs the Irregulars, they keep an eye on most everything. He's over there in the corner, in the wood shack."

What have you heard about this new little gang that's forming up around here? Why haven't the Candies stamped them out?

Chappee is a gruff but not cruel man, dressed like a worker, not a thug. He leads you out of The Bay into the night cold, down the big ramp and into the shanties. There, in a thrown-together-a-week-ago building, in a single room, is where he says Omo is.

What do you do?
  • The Candies haven't stomped out Chappee and the Irregulars because he's not actually doing anything bad... Sure, he's extorting a few folks in the bay; but when someone needs jingle to feed their family, or get their kids treated at the infirmary, Chappee pays out. Sure you owe him and the Irregulars for a bit; but your bellies are full, and your kids healthy.

I thank Chappee for his help and head over to the shack. This should be interesting...
  • Payday answers the door. She looks out at you, anger flashing in her eyes, and stands in the doorway. "What?"
  • Gods, I am not in the mood for this. "Move over Pay, I'm here to get Omo on her feet."
  • Behind Payday, you see Goodbar, too. Spunk is sitting on a rickety chair, half-asleep.

You hear Omo from inside, which is a meter away, "Let her in, Pay. It's flash."

Payday steps back to let you in. This place is tiny. Omo's lying on the mattress on the dirt, she has her babies on the mattress with her. She's been crying, probably alot. She doesn't look angry at all, really. "Hey, Kiddo, what's up?" She sniffles, but she's trying to keep her tone light.
  • edited December 2013
    I step into the room, and look around... This place is smaller than some of the places I've lived in, and that says something.

I look down to the mattress, and spot her huddled there with her kids. Good. I think that's the first time I've seen her holding them both. It suits her...

"We found the girls' stuff, and they told me you left the gang when I went to drop it all off... I wanted to say that I think you made the right move there — and I wanna help you land on your feet."
  • Omo tries to smile, but doesn't pull it off really. "Thanks, Kiddo. It's okay. I'll make it work."

"This is stupid." Payday says in a hateful whisper, "Spree don't hafta leave, she should still be with us. She can ride, she can fight, she's our bitch."

Spunk says sleepily, "Rules is rules. This is how it goes, Pay."

"Stuff it, milk." Goodbar hisses, "Don't cut off Pay again, or I'll cut yours off."

What do you do?
  • I'm ignoring Payday — because she's a frakking idiot — and I'll let Goodbar's bullshit comment slide this one time because I'm tired, and I don't feel like causing shit in front of Omo.

I take a deep breath, and keep talking, "Yes you will — and I'm here to give you opportunities. That's all, sweetie. A girl smart like you should be doing good works — and Abba and Zabba are going to need food soon. Stitch is overwhelmed with work up in the infirmary — she needs someone who can read and write up there. Why don't you come up with me and we'll see about getting you some regular work?"
  • Omo blinks a few times, like she's waiting for a "but" or something. But the offer's genuine. She looks over at Payday, and asks, "Pay, can you watch Abba and Zabba for a little bit? Ima check this out. Maybe we could move inside or somethin, I dunno."

Payday looks at you, Kiddo, like she's going to warn you or something. But she doesn't. There's a moment where they switch places, and then Omo leans down and kisses her girls' heads. She says to Spunk, "Spunk, baby, you're dead on your feet. C'mon up with us, you should go to bed, yeah?" Spunk yawns and nods, then joins you.

What do you do?
  • I shake my head, "bring the girls in — frak knows what they could catch in here... Payday can come, if you want someone familiar there." I turn back to Vee and Ma', "Can you let the girls into the flat? Watch after 'em while I get sweetie here sorted?"
  • Kiddo, I'm curious. The offer to Payday, is that purely for Omo's benefit, or are you trying to get Payday to trust you a bit more?
  • That's only for Omo. Vee's good with kids, and Ma's looked after Abba and Zabba before; but given what's happened today, I wouldn't blame her if she didn't exactly trust Vee.
  • Omo looks to Payday, silently asking her. They all follow you out. Because Goodbar isn't hanging out in that hole by herself.

Spunk and Goodbar split off for the Candies Clubhouse. Zero, VB, the babies and Payday get off on the floor of your flat. And Omo stays with you.

On the way back down to the infirmary (it's a few decks below your flat), Omo says quietly, "I look like drek, Kiddo."
  • I smirk at her comment. She does look like shit.

"Don't worry," I answer, "Stitch looks like she frakked a coal miner. You just look like I have for the past couple months."
  • Kiddo,

Please go here.