[Junk XIII] Following Breadcrumbs (J 7-3)

edited December 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Jack,

Your much bigger crew loads up the next morning. Cheetos takes KellyTires in his sidecar, Topps rides with Ro, and of course, you're with Parfait. Ro's taken to calling her "Par" lately, and she hasn't objected. Does that bother you?

What did Ro tell you about his night with Timex that surprised you?

Since you're leading this little group, let's get a roll+Cool to see how things are going for the group
On a hit, you make it to your destination. On a 10+, it doesn't cost you an extra barter in lost supplies.

Comments

• Bother isn't quite the right word. I understand the motivation behind shortening one's name — after all, my full name is Jack in the box — but I would never shorten Parfait. For one, there is an aesthetic beauty to the word. The way it is properly pronounced — Par-fay, with the rolling "R" and silent "T" — that represents that upper-crust image she so desires. I've also done some research on the subject while back at Bubble City — Parfait is apparently derivative of a word in a dead language meaning "perfect". Who would shorten perfection? I find it extremely suiting.

In any case, Ro told me — in some detail — about his evening with Timex. Apparently she spoke with Aquafina and Rinso when they passed through Salt — I was pleasantly surprised to learn they were taken to the Ascendant for care by Kiddo's mother and younger brother — but evidently, they have not passed through since. This makes the likelihood of our paths crossing again quite high, and I am not certain running into either of them would be advantageous at this point.

I should likely focus on the road.
  • OOC: Custom move. Roll+Cool.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 1, 4. Total: 6)
  • You were a day and a half north of Salt when the drizzle began. Now, an hour into it, and the rain is soaking. It's cold rain, too, just shy of icy. Parfait is miserably clinging onto you, you feel her thin body shuddering from time to time. Can't speed up, or the biting wind only makes it worse. Topps and Kelly switched bikes at his insistence, and she's huddled down in the sidecar. Cheetos is wearing thick riding leathers, he's the least affected. And Ro, somehow he's just loving this miserable drek.

"I nee-need to ssss... to sstop, Jack!" Parfait calls in your ear over the wind and the rain. "Need a tent. Need to be dry. Pluh.. please!" Cheetos and Ro will follow your lead. But just because you take a stop in the middle of the day doesn't mean the rains will go away, right? Of course they won't. Who knows when they will slack?

What do you do?
  • I motion for everyone to hold up, and pull over to the side of the road. I move Parfait into the driver's seat, so she can at least be warmer by the engine. I give her my jacket for a moment, to try and warm her up. I kiss her gently on the forehead, and whisper, "give me a moment, my love — let me ask the whispers what is safest."

Then I release her, and look up to the clouds, as if I was pondering the sky...
  • OOC: Opening my brain. Roll+Weird. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 1, 5. Total: 9)
  • I'll burn the bond with Logitech to make the 10+ happen.
  • edited December 2013
    Among the thunderclaps and the sound of the rain slamming into the bikes and the coats of your little group, you pick up the voices.

"I'll never find someone, not like him. Why did he push me away? I just wanted to make him happy."

"Look to the east, there is a hidden place there, shelter."

"Does he still even want me? This is a mistake, I'm just a fool."

"Protect the child, he must reach his potential. He will surpass you. One day, you will die for him."

"The place that was lost and forgotten. Seek it with your nose."

"She will cheat on you, someday. Do not forget this."
  • The voices are bitter today.

I let the cold rain pound into me for a moment, to keep me focused. I cannot let them deter me... I walk back to the bike, and slip behind Parfait to keep her warm. I must protect this child, and her, at all costs. If I will die for my son, then I will not shy away from the task.

Before starting up the bike I announce, "There is shelter nearby to the east. Watch for strong odors, and be ready to start a fire when we find it!"

I speak into Parfait's ear, "I will find you shelter, my love. Be strong just a short while longer, and you will be safe."
  • edited December 2013
    Parfait nods, speaking in that quick breathy way to spit the words out between chattering teeth, "Its just pay-pain. It will pass."

The three bikes spread out to the east, looking for some kind of shelter. There is nothing here in this waste to use as a marker other than the road, no scrub higher than your knee, no dips or valleys, nothing.

You catch a weird smell after a half click, something like Kim's clinic. After looking at the others to see if they notice as well, Ro raises up a hand, yelling through the rain, "Well frak me, I found something!"

Within a moment, you're over by him, looking at a metal hatch in the ground, to something below.

What do you do?
  • I do not feel good hearing that now... I move fast, hoping to minimize Parfait's pain. It is a strong motivator.

When Ro calls out, I ride over to him quickly. That the shelter is a hatch in the ground confounds me... Still, I do not have time for this. I grab my mother's assault rifle, and instruct To to open the hatch.

I only hope the place is empty.
  • Shelter Hatcha

The hatch was buried under some thatch and muck, but the rains have cleared it out. You have to yank a few times for it to come open. If it weren't for the rain, the creak of the hinges would probably hurt your ears, but right now, it's just a single sound in the din.

There are metal rungs in a quick-crete shaft leading down. Ro leads the way, since he's lucky and brave, plus he has a little mag-lite, which he puts in his teeth to climb down. You all head down into the shelter after Ro comes back up.

It takes a few minutes for everyone to get down to the bottom, which is a corridor of all quick-crete, and a grating beneath your feet where all the rainwater is washing down now. It's a meter ahead to a metal fire door that is slightly ajar.

The smell of death, old death, is heavy on the air, the coppery smell mixing with rust from the old metals of the hatch, the ladder, the grating. This has been here for a long while.

As Ro shines his mag-lite on the door, you see scoring on it, the handle was broken off, the door was pried open, long ago. The last visitors didn't close the door when they left, it seems.

What do you do?
  • I've got the rifle up, and at the ready... It seems this place has been abandoned for quite some time, and the smell of death is problematic... I am hesitant to stay here if it is dangerous, or a deathtrap. I brought our bags down with us, and so I open up mine and produce a warm blanket and a towel. "Parfait, my love — take some time to dry off, and warm up. Ro and I could do a quick search of the area inside to make sure we're safe, if it is not warm enough in here."
  • KellyTires is trying to get Topps to warm up, too. Parfait looks to you, nods, then starts trying to dry off. KellyTires says, "You should look in there. I've got a gun, I'll protect the girls."

Ro nods, and heads in. Inside is a small bunker, built for a couple families. There are small rooms off the main living area , couches, beds, a small area that once had appliances that were ripped out, even a small entertainment center, that now sits bare.

The place was attacked, probably months ago. The bodies of the men, women and pair of children were left to rot after being hacked to death. The place appears wired for juice, and even seems to have well water. This was home for these people.

Oh and by the way, on the far wall is the Wendys symbol painted in bold colors.

What do you do?
  • edited December 2013
    the voices are bitter today... I ask them for safety, and receive a coffin. I am surprised the Wendys would leave the corpses here to rot. It gives me some confidence that this is not a hunter's trap.

Lingering here, though, would not be prudent. "no safe port in a storm, it would seem..." I mutter to myself. "We should not stay here long... Especially not after the rain has cleared."

I'm heading back out towards the shaft. I need to do some looking around... If this is a trap, I would rather be ready for it.
  • While you head out to look around the place, KellyTires brings the girls inside and he and Ro start moving the corpses to a side room, somewhere out of sight. They find a mostly empty storage room for them.

You know the Wendys, of course. This was a pillage and move on. They aren't coming back, not unless they hear someone else moved in, which is unlikely.

You're likely safe. For the storm. What else worries you about this, Jack?
  • edited December 2013
    The Wendys worry me because they are Wendys... Some of them are rather unpredictable at times, but for the most part they are unpredictable in predictable ways — if that makes sense... In the way that I can now expect Parfait's mood to fluctuate quite wildly, I could expect a Wendy or two to wander down that hatch with a bloodlust, and a machete. I am prepared for that.

What I am not prepared for is what the voices may say, or do in a place like this... Traumatic events such as this, they tend to leave specters — not in the traditional sense, of apparitions and violence, but rather in the way of voices in the maelstrom. They speak half-truths to people who normally cannot hear them — and for people who do not know what they are, they can mistake those whispers for their own inner voice.

After we've cleaned up, I will be staying close to Parfait. I've offered to share one of my earbuds with her — this time just for music. I pray the storm is short.
  • edited December 2013
    KellyTires has broken down some old furniture and started a fire, and everyone huddles around it. Ro says, "Hey guys, I've got some twine I carry. We can hang our drek up to dry." He grins, "Pretty lucky, hunh?" KellyTires nods, slightly amazed. Topps rolls her eyes.

Parfait huddles beside you. She didn't put on much after stripping down, and of course, she's not worried about that kind of stuff. But you throw that blanket over her and she warms up and listens to some music with you. What do you play for her?

The place still smells a bit, but after a while, you just stop noticing it. It's amazing how the human body can adapt, isn't it?

The earbuds help dampen the voices, but only using one of them means you're still exposed. Are you willing to let them talk to you just so Parfait can listen to some music with you?
  • I'm impressed KellyTires doesn't have twine on him as well... That is by far a mainstay of the traveler's kit. I simply smirk, and let him have his moment. I cuddle up with Parfait under the blanket, sitting behind her in little more than my boxers with my arms wrapped around her chest. I dig through my music collection for something we'll both enjoy — I settle on a more modern band that played in non-standard time signatures called Rachael's. They wrote many interesting instrumental pieces that impress me.

I would happily give Parfait the full use of my music player if it meant she would be free of the whispers down here. In fact, after hearing them whisper in my open ear, I offer her my earbud under the guise of resting my eyes for a bit.

I have not conversed with the voices in a long time... My music has protected me from them for so long that I've become complacent with the silence. They can be cruel. When I was a child, I would wake in the night with terrors. Charmin was the first person who ever tried to help me through them... I had always resented my mother for her distance when I cried to her in the night — but I'm beginning to wonder if she was grooming me for moments like this. I can only surmise her true intentions, I suppose...

I am not bitter — but Charmin's embrace in the middle of the night was a welcome change, in my eyes. The tenderness that she showed me, the way I've come to learn most mothers share with their children.

So to answer your question — yes, I am willing to let them talk to me in exchange for Parfait's protection.
  • The night passes slowly, creeping along as the rest of your fellows lay down and drift off to sleep. The voices of the dead are relentless. Some tell you stories of who they were, desperate not to be forgotten. Others demand revenge, telling you of the horrors of The Wendys who came for them in the night, cut them and beat them and killed them. Still others wail for things undone to be completed, begging you to put their souls to rest. There are more than the ten souls who died here, many more voices, as you expected. This is a fissure in the maelstrom, a haunted place. At some point, you grab some fitful sleep, but then you only see the scene, played over and over in your head, from different views, the eyes of the fallen, you realize.

With no sky above, it is impossible to tell when you start awake. Parfait is holding you close, whispering to you softly, not unlike Charmin. She holds you to her chest, and gently pushes the earbuds into your ears, whispering, "They do not speak to me, my love, my husband. They do not torment me. I will sleep well only knowing you join me."

Too tired for conscious thought, you drift off to the sounds of Holst's The Planets, and awake feeling slightly refreshed.

KellyTires is sleeping in, tired from night's work. Ro is elsewhere, Topps and Parfait have scrounged some cans of food and are cooking something over the fire. The clothes are nearly dry. They don't see what this place is, Jack. They are rested, almost happy to be "safe" in this tomb.

Parfait sees you waking and brings you a small cup of the food they've made. What is it?

What do you do?
  • It was a great comfort to find Parfait wrapped around me in the middle of the night. The cold sweat, and tremors are something I have not missed... Sleep to my music comes quickly, and I am thankful for it.

I stir to the smell of Italian wedding soup on the fire. It looks delicious. I take some time to savor it, and find out how everyone slept.
  • Topps says, "I slept better than you, Jack. Nice, solid walls, a fire. Hell of a lot better than the rain and outside." She digs in.

Parfait says, "Still raining outside. Cheetos and Ro's taken the bodies out. I think KellyTires might be sick..."

"No!" Topps says suddenly. "He's just tired. That's all. We're gonna be fine." There's a worry in her eyes, Jack.
  • ... Damn it. KellyTires picked something up in the rain? It probably doesn't help that we stayed down here in this coffin... "let me see him," I whisper, still a bit tired.

I rise from the blankets forgetting I slept in my boxers, and make my way over to the old man. How does he look?
  • edited December 2013
    He's lying there, he has a low-grade fever, shivering in a cold sweat. Topps has covered him with a few blankets, and at some point, Cheetos moved in a mattress and they rolled him onto it. He's not on death's door by any stretch, but he picked up some bug in the rain and the cold. He shouldn't travel right now, not until the fever breaks.

What kind of medicine do you have on you, Jack? What about Ferrymen, what do they carry normally?
  • Nothing for fevers... Very little, as a matter of fact, for anything other than breaks and cuts. Most of the time ferrymen simply ride through to the nearest town if things get bad. I have a similar mentality.

I look to Parfait, "if his fever doesn't break by the time the rain stops, we should send Ro out to fetch some medicine... Where is he, anyway?"
  • "He's out burying the dead with Cheetos." Topps answers, "In the muck and the rain."

Parfait adds, "Ro said it was the right thing to do, especially since we may have to stay here for a few days."

Tops takes on last bite, "I'm going to pick through the stuff here again, look for some meds." She sounds worried.
  • If they keep it up, they may both end up sick... Spending the next few days here is not what I had hoped for this little shelter. I look over to Topps and nod, "Would you like me or Parfait to help? At the very least it will help pass the time while your father rests."
  • Topps agrees, thankful for the help. You all split up caring for KellyTires. In a couple hours, Cheetos and Ro come in, soaked to the bone and shivering.

Ro says, "We put 'em to rest. Got any food?" He quickly strips down to his underwear and squeezes water out of his clothes. Cheetos has a much thicker jacket, so he's in better shape.

The group huddles around the fire. Parfait says, "We will need to find more wood soon."

"Only wood down here," Cheetos says lightly, "Is furniture. Such a shame."
  • I show them over to the pot of soup Parfait and Topps made, and help them hang whatever wet clothes they want hanged. "There won't be very much dry wood, I'm afraid... Not in this weather... I will go looking in the event we're running low. Does it look as though the rain will stop any time soon?"
  • Ro answers, "Red horizons still, probably another couple days." Cheetos nods agreement.

Parfaits asks you, "Jack, can you or KellyTires make it here that long?"

Topps looks up, at Parfait, then you, "Wait, what? Are you sick, Jack?"
  • I frown when Topps asks if I'm sick... Sometimes I wonder. Parfait's choice in words was questionable perhaps, but her concern is legitimate... "No," I address Topps first, a matter of priorities really, "not sick — just a bit claustrophobic." You see? Tact... I'm afraid of being enclosed with the spirits who died here. Without the sunlight required to charge my iPod, I would imagine the nights will be quite long indeed.

I turn to Parfait, and nod — but it is as much a grave recognition of her concern, as a reassurance of my resolve to keep her healthy. "If I must, I will ride to the nearest town for medicine for KellyTires. At worst, I will have a few sleepless nights ahead of me."
  • Cheetos says, "Nearest town is Trench. A day and a half ride in rain like this." He looks at each of your faces, "If you can give me barter, and you feel safe here, I can ride out today. That's three days."

Topps fidgets, that's forever. Ro says, "I think you should go. Go now while you've got daylight. Anyone object?" Parfait says nothing, neither does Topps.

What do you do?
  • I nod, "how much do you need?"
  • Cheetos does sums in his head, "Fever meds from Trench, a couple barter." He adds, not trying to sound like he's bilking you, "Any more you can spare for food and fuel, and I'll bring it back in the sidecar."

Topps forks over a barter of tin from her pack. Ro kind of shrugs, he's mostly broke. Parfait says to you, low, "Some of my jewelry could work, right?"
  • I nod to Parfait, "absolutely." I would offer to cover the whole thing myself, but I would not rob Parfait of her opportunity to help. It is fantastic that she would even consider doing that — it shows just how far she's come. I reach over into my jacket, and produce a sack of tin myself — just enough to cover the balance.

"Ride smart," I say as I hand the bag to Cheetos, "we look forward to your safe return."
  • Cheetos heads up the ladder and back into the rain. In the brief period when the hatch is open, rainwater pours in, and the corridor is filled with the din of the storm. No respite, it seems.

Then, with meager food supplies, scant heat sources, and nothing but time and voices, what do you do to pass the time, Jack?
  • Copious amounts of sex, of course...

Relax, I'm kidding. I have a few Crest brew, which I'll offer to Ro and Topps – I think I might help Parfait make some more jewelry while I ask Topps about how she met young Humphrey.
  • By the end of day one, the batteries run out on your iPod, the rain is still blocking the sun, so there's no chance to recharge. The night comes, and you end up huddling against Parfait at night. She hums low and sings lullabies to you to help you sleep. How well does it work for you?

China. That's her name, the girl who keeps talking to you, Jack. She lived her, all nine years of her life. They took her heart. The short one cut it out as the life drained from her. She cannot rest, Jack. She stirs up the Maelstrom around her, she is the hurricane. This place, this tomb, it will not rest until she is sated.

Parfait's song has stopped and you only have the swishing sounds of her womb to comfort you in the wee hours when China accuses, "You know his name, Jack. You know this man, my murderer."
  • Parfait's lullabies worked better than I had expected... I am able to concentrate on the sound of her voice, and the beating of her heart. It brings me some solace, while she sings. It brings me comfort to know my son will have a mother who can still the voices in his head. I sleep, for some time, while she hums to me. It is only when she falls asleep that I am plagued by China's accusations.

"I do," I whisper, "I know the name of this man... Your murderer..." I don't move. I can feel China's eyes on the back of my head. She will stay there, no matter where I look in the room. "I would help you. I know where he is — but I cannot leave, my dear... Your anger holds us here."
  • When you try to bargain with China the ghost, roll+Weird. If you have leverage, it can function like a Manipulate. If you're just begging, then you've opened you mind to the psychic maelstrom without protection.
  • OOC: Bargaining with China the ghost. Roll+Weird. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 4, 4. Total: 11)
  • The presence, that pressure, it lessens. You feel China, who was there at the back of your head, staring daggers at you, she moves away, un-clenches the fist around your soul.

It is quiet. Not just here, in this space, the voices have dimmed. You realize, through the lack of it, that the storm broke as well. The rainstorm, the thunder, the wind and lightning, gone.

You're bone tired, and the buzzing in your brain is finally dulled. Only a small firelight in the bunker.

What do you do?
  • I fall limp like a ragdoll in Parfait's lap. I can feel tears streaming down my cheeks, like I have just suffered a migrane. Sleep comes quickly. I do not look forward to confronting Robin — but it must be done.

The vengeance of this little girl is unlike anything I have ever tasted... He must have done horrible things to her. I only wish I could unlive it...
  • You wake to the sound of sobbing. It must be morning, but hard to tell, of course. Topps is in Parfait's arms, she's holding the girl close as she cries. Ro is not here. Neither is KellyTires.

Parfait notices you've woken, and looks to you, then to the mattress where KellyTires was laying, then softly shakes her head, not wanting to speak of it in front of Topps.

What do you do?
  • You must be kidding me... I follow Parfait's gaze to the empty mattress, and note Ro's absence. I push myself off the ground with great effort, and hobble my way over to the pair... This cannot be... He was not that ill. I am sure of it.

I grab my dried clothes, and rush into them. I grab my coat... I must see KellyTires. This simply cannot be.
  • You head up top to find Ro not far away. There is muck and mud and standing water all around, like the world is waterlogged. Ro is digging a fresh grave, using some tools he found in the bunker. KellyTires is wrapped in a tarp.

Ro sees you and stops digging. He's a half meter deep in muck, "Hey man, rough night."
  • I don't answer him. I make directly for the tarp, and open it up to look into KellyTires' eyes. He can't be dead. I close my eyes tight, and listen for a whisper — anything that might shed some light on this horrible turn of events.
  • OOC: Opening my Brain. Roll+Weird. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 4, 3. Total: 10)
  • edited December 2013
    China killed him. She made him sicker, and she was holding him until you agreed to seek her vengeance. Once her grip tightens, she cannot let go of a thing, it is beyond her. So she ripped him away, Jack. She tore his life from him, crushed his heart, so you could escape her trap. The weather, that was tremors in the maelstrom, she didn't directly cause that, but it happened when she relented.

This you now know.

Ro's watching you from the half-dug grave. "You alright, Jack?"
  • I kneel there on the muddy ground, staring deeply into KellyTire's eyes. I asked the whispers for safety, and they gave me a coffin... I gave them promises of peace, and they took this man from me. They say bitter lies about infidelity, and threaten the peace within my family. I hate them — and yet I cannot ignore them. I hang my head in defeat, and nod when Ro asks if I'm alright...

"He should not be buried here, Ro... No-one should ever come here again. Ever." I stand and motion for his bike, "it is a place of death. If you could bury him by the road, I will watch over the girls here."
  • Ro looks up at you while leaning on the shovel. He nods a little agreement, then looks down at the big wasted hole of effort and sighs once, a sort of well, that sucks sigh, then he stretches, and clambers out of the hole. "It's no disrespect to the dead if I put him over the bike and drive him to the road... right?"

He's doing just that if you don't stop him.
  • I shake my head, "here, let me help you." I would go myself, but I do not trust China anymore. I call down to Parfait first, "my love, can you start getting things ready to move? We should not linger here now that the rain has stopped."
  • Ro heads off. Parfait hears you and she and Topps quickly get to work on packing up. Within a couple hours, you hit the road for Trench.

Cheetos meets up with you in the evening, and you finish up just outside Trench. How are you known here, Jack? What happened the last time you were here?
  • I was insistent we stop and pay respects to KellyTire's grave. If for no other reason than to show Topps where it is. I am quiet on the ride to Trench, trying my best not to spy on anyone's thoughts... I feel awful for trapping KellyTires down there... I only hope he did not suffer.

The gates to Trench are a sight for sore eyes. Even in spite of what happened here last time... What with that idiotic bartender accidentally discharging my pain-wave projector in the middle of a crowded bar... The mere thought of it gives me a headache. People here know me as everyone else knows me: a wanderer. In fact, there are very few places I am not known as a wanderer. I would take Trench over that wretched hole in the ground, any day. I need a shower. I need to wash my clothes.
  • edited December 2013
    Topps appreciates the funeral, short as it is. She's so distant in her own thoughts. She seems to have cried all her tears, but now, this trip is no longer the exciting reunion she'd hope for.

It turns out that Ro is well known in Trench. He is welcomed like a celebrity at the outer gates, and finagles entry for all of you inside the town proper. Have you been inside, Jack? Topps and Parfait certainly haven't. Topps looks around, interested, but numb, while Parfait's eyes dart everywhere. She is afraid of being trapped in here, Jack, you feel it.

As you're walking your bikes to a hotel that Ro has already entered to get rooms, Cheetos pulls you aside, Jack. He hands over the meds, which are good for trade now, then asks, "Hey, if Topps is riding with Ro, do you want me to stick with you, or buzz off?"
  • edited December 2013
    I've been in the town proper — when word of a man with a device capable of incapacitating an entire room spread, Spanx demanded to see me. I was surprised at the amount of food, liquor, and sex they offered me in exchange for my services... It was largely incongruous with my usual rates. Spanx is a woman with a very loud mind — you might say she has the mind of a child. She is very vocal about her desires, and easily jumps to conclusions if she is denied what she wants.

The answer Cheetos' question is quite simply, "we will not be needing your services. If you would rather head south again, that is your choice." I keep Parfait close, and ask, "would you rather we wait outside, my dear? I do not want you to be uncomfortable."
  • Cheetos nods, "I am sorry for your loss," his tone is genuine, "And I hope you get good barter for your meds." He hands you a compass, "This is trade for the gas I used for my bike. May it always help you find your direction." He smiles a sad little smile, that was a gift to him from someone, you just know it.

Parfait shifts on the bike, "This place is so... closed. Are we safe?" She looks at the many guards on the walls and roofs.
  • I hold onto the compass a long moment, trying to decide whether or not I should give it back... I realize his professionalism hinges on it, but I don't like accepting things with sentimental value as payment. It was also a significant amount of gas... It seems only fitting that Topps receive this, in compensation for her contribution to the pot for saving her father. I hand it to her when she is nearby, passing on Cheetos' condolences.

I wait a moment before answering Parfait's question ... We are both safe, and not safe here — but for the most part, we are here only at their whim. "You are safe with me, my love," I answer cautiously, "simply be the kind, patient woman you have shown me you are, and we will have no trouble here."
  • She nods then, relaxing a bit. You realize that now that she doesn't feel the strong urge to protect you, she's slipped back into "her own head" a bit, more withdrawn, more tired. Of course, the baby could also be a factor.

After parking your bike, and not needing to lock it up or anything, you follow Ro into the lobby. You've been in this hotel before, it's for travelers who are not citizens, but allowed in the walls, so it is nice, a bit pricey. What's the lobby like? What stands out here?
  • I offer Parfait my arm. Even if she is only going through the motions, I want her to know I will not change my demeanor towards her merely because she retreats into her mind. I love her all the same, and I will make sure she knows that. Help will come soon.

Walking into the hotel is as intimidating an experience as ever. It is very fine, built in marble and stone. The massive statue of Spanx is still standing in the lobby I see... Fantastic... I see they've added a few crystals for eyes. It must be an "ongoing" piece of artwork.
  • Ro's chatting up the girl at the counter, while Topps is sitting on one of the nice couches in the lobby. She's not crying right now, but she looks pretty sad. Parfait gives you a look, then heads over to sit with her.

What is there to do in this hotel? Is it just a place to rest? Can you eat here? Is there entertainment?

You see Ro turn and head to you, "We have a couple rooms." He smirks, "One of them is free... for me. But if any of you wanna stay with me, that's flash."

What do you do?
  • The Hotel has a number of different activities. There is a pool outside of fresh water, a cafe on the roof, and card games down in the bar. The cafe does technically serve food, and they have a woodwind quartet playing at night, but I wouldn't go eat a meal there. There are better restaurants down by the market.

I look to Ro, and ask, "Parfait and I will likely take our own room. If you would like some privacy, we could take in Topps. I imagine she should not be alone right now."
  • Ro looks over at her, makes a bit of a sad face. "I've got no problem offering her one of my beds, if she'll take it. You married folks should have alone time, neh?"

Do you head up to your rooms now, or take a walkabout?
  • If Parfait's condition worsens throughout the night, that may be beneficial... I'm hoping I can find a way to lift their spirits in the short term. Or at least distract them from depression a while longer.

"I appreciate the gesture. If Topps will accept your offer, then I suppose we can't say no. It would be nice to do a short walkabout of the city," I mention nonchalantly, "Parfait is not used to such grand structures, and I would like her to see the inner workings of the city so she can feel more at ease. We could use a guide."
  • Ro grins, "Let's go stow our drek, and I'll take you down to the Undercity, round the gambling halls and the animal pens. It'll be flash."

He moves a bit closer to you, "How old is Topps anyways?" He sees your look and holds up a hand, "Whoah, I'm not gonna... damn, Jack. I mean, if I brought a girl, or heh, girl-zuh back, would that be a problem? She'll have her own bed, in a separate room. That's alright... right?"
  • I don't feel particularly comfortable answering that question... I suppose I could look into Topps' mind; but really, why wouldn't he simply ask her that? She is old enough to decide these things on her own. I shake my head, "She's around the age of 16..." I turn to Parfait and Topps, and announce, "Having never been to the Undercity for more than a few moments on a tour, Ro has agreed to take us down there. Topps, my dear, both Ro and I would have no qualms if you wanted to take a bed in one of our rooms. Would you like to stow your belongings and join us?"
  • Topps looks up at you with red-rimed eyes. She looks at Parfait for a moment. Your wife nods to her. So Topps turns back to mumble, "I'd like to stay with you two. If that's okay."

Ro rolls his eyes, like that's not offensive to him or whatever.
  • I nod back, "of course, my dear. Come — let's get you set up with a bed, and step out to get some fresh air."
  • You head up to your room, which is on the top floor, right beside Ro's. You share a large balcony, in fact. Ro's room is much bigger, with a couple suites, a small kitchen area, even power, a little area with couches for entertaining guests. Yours in no slouch, but only has a pair of beds, a small desk, cabinet and then the balcony.

Topps sits her stuff down on the bed you don't take. She slumps down on to the bed and says, "Do you mind if I just sleep? I don't feel too great, and that bunker was pretty, uhm... rough."
  • I raise an eyebrow when Topps mentions feeling ill, and I immediately check her for early signs of a fever out of reflex. "If you're feeling ill, I would rather not leave you alone my dear... I do not mind if you would rather stay and sleep."
  • Topps doesn't feel feverish or warm. She looks up at you, saying softly, "I'm not sick, Jack. I just don't want to go out. I wanna stay and sleep, I won't cause any trouble."

Parfait comes up behind you, Jack, her hands on your back softly, "It will be alright if you stay. I can stay with you if you want..."

Topps replies quickly, but not harshly, "No. Ah, no, I wanna be alone, actually. If you guys wanna frak or anything later, I don't care. I won't bother you." She starts methodically stripping down her outer garments to crawl into bed.

Parfait looks at you, Jack. What do you do?
  • edited December 2013
    ... I hate to pry, but the poor dear has been suffering lately...

OOC: Reading Topps. Roll+Weird*. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 5, 5. Total: 13)
  • I look back to Parfait with concern before watching Topps climb in bed...

Q1: What does Topps intend to do?
  • Believe it or not, the girl is telling the truth. She's really sad that her dad is dead, and this is the first chance she's had to relax and just reflect and mourn. She's going to cry and sleep for a long while. That's all.
  • I walk over and give Topps a light kiss on the forehead, "we can find privacy elsewhere for a short time should the need arise, but we won't be late. Can we do anything else for you? Anything at all?"

OOC: I'll burn the other two questions: What does Topps wish I would do? And furthermore, how can I get Topps to feel better?
  • Topps wishes you would maybe bring her some food later, and talk to her tonight, nothing big, just a friendly voice. Parfait's been helpful, too.

Ho to make her feel better? For the loss of her Dad, she's feeling incredibly guilty now. She feels like it's her fault for dragging him up to see her boyfriend, and that's going to tear her apart soon. Right now, she's numb enough that it hasn't hit home. But it will.
  • But she did not drag him up north — nor did she control the weather that left us stranded in the middle of the flats, or the Wendys who slaughtered the people in that old bunker, or the whim of that angered spirit. She could not have guessed, any better than I could have, that leaving would require the death of her father... Staying may have killed us all — her father's sacrifice was horrible, but I will ensure it was not in vain.

I kneel down next to her and whisper, "rest easy my dear... The fates have been cruel to you today, but you are safe here. Parfait and I will return with some food, and we can talk then."

Then I'll stand, and offer Parfait my arm.
  • Parfait hesitates, she sees the girl's pain. But there's nothing that can be done, so she takes your arm, Jack.

The three of you head out on a tour. Ro is a minor celebrity here, so you have an unofficial key to the city. He's most interested in the Undergardens and the clubs in Undercity, but you know there is the martket square, the schools and the bathhouses above ground. Where do you most want to go?
  • I embrace Parfait, and whisper her quiet reassurances, "she will be fine for now my dear. You have done well with her."

I have always been interested in the undergardens, and the view out over the mesa. I would like to go to that raw-food restaurant that serves concoctions of various vegetables and nuts. I'm told it's a fantastic experience.
  • You're in The Cellar, that raw food place you'd heard of. It's interesting, the cooks are also the servers, there are four of them. There are some young pretty things who refill drinks, lots of wine and alcohol to sell.

Everyone is gathered around these huge circular water-trees, the things are as big as your bike, and this bright green. They grow in rings, like you've heard they do on Earth. The chefs bring out carts of different foods and mix it together with spices and oils and serve them in bowls. Sharing is encouraged, from food to stories.

Ro is macking on some little waify thing, one of the servers, almost Parfait's age, but not quite. Why is he going to strike out, but hasn't realized it?

What stories do you tell the table?
  • edited December 2013
    You mean this young lady?

Ro is going to strike out with her because she's happily married to the owner of this establishment — an unbelievably attractive man named Dickinson. He is a young, free-spirited man, about my age, that was born into a rather privileged lifestyle. He believes in practicing a minimalist lifestyle, and communing with the earth, and all that whatnot — he is very spiritual, but also very down-to-earth. I doubt he would hold those world-views if not for growing up in Trench.

Ciate — that's the young lady Ro's hitting on — is equally beautiful, and down-to-earth. She would never cheat on Dickinson. I know this because I was asked by his father to ensure Ciate would be loyal to him, and reveal my findings to both Dickinson and his father. When Dickinson learned of his father's plot, he paid me double to never to reveal what I learned. It is a faith I respect deeply.

The place is certainly very lively. The oils and spices they use to season the meals are amazing — especially considering how there is no meat in here. I'm telling them all a story about Oasis, and my wanderings there — helping a young man settle some past wrongdoings, and appreciating the culture the city has to offer.
  • Several people compliment you, a few at your table clap, enjoying the story of redemption. Heinz and Hershey, a middle-aged couple with deep tans, smile and talk of Oasis, sharing their years living there, backing your story of the culture there.

Ro tells some stories about Green Valley and his brother's treks there. He also tells a fanciful tale about his beloved Krug. You know he's trying to get in good with Ciate, and that he's failing badly. He may end up alone tonight. Big hotel room, poor guy.

As the dinner winds down, Heinz invites you and Parfait to come back to their place for drinks, stories and partaking of the hookah. Ro is going to head back to the hotel and gamble.

What do you do?
  • I raise a hand politely to Heinz and shake my head, "we're caring for a young lady back at the hotel, and she's expecting us to bring her some food. Perhaps another time? I'm always interested in meeting new people."
  • They accept your raincheck, and Ro walks back with you. On the way, walking through the symmetrical clay tunnels of Undercity, Ro says, "You know, I almost told Gala's story, but thought better of it. Since you taught me that Wendys might not all be bad." He chuckles, "Gonna hafta find me another Big Bad, Jack. Any contemptable souls out there that will do?"

Parfait's walking with both of her arms around your bicep. She's tired, and ae well, ready for sleep.
  • Then I suppose it is good I did not accept Heinz's invitation. I look to Ro as he admits wanting to tell Gala's story — I am thankful he didn't. "A man named Branigans would fit that bill, if he were still alive... There are many paranoid people out there who do horrible things, Ro. You need not look outside of the flats for that."

I rub Parfait's hands, and smile, "of course, you'll find a great deal of good people just about anywhere too. I find those stories much more entertaining."
  • Parfait squeezes your hand and gives you a soft smile. She knows that the monsters in the dark aren't always so scary.

Ro laughs, "Nah, if it bleeds, it leads, Jack. Old Earther phrase." He skips ahead to buy some sticks of meat from a vendor, offering you each one. Do you take any? "Ah... meat. Makes the world spin. Dead animals. True story."
  • I'll take one, but I'll probably offer it up to Topps. I don't know how she feels about vegetables and nuts... "I know a man who would beg to differ, but I'll agree that good meat is a blessing. What do you plan to do after the Ascendant, Ro? I'm not sure how long we'll be there, but ... I made something of a promise that I need to keep, and I expect it will be dangerous."
  • Ro shrugs, "I'm a leaf on the wind, Jack. What's this big promise of yours? You know, I like a bit of danger, from time to time. My stories are getting stale."

Parfait munches on her meat-stick quietly.
  • I take a moment to consider what I should tell Ro, but it is clear I should not lie. "That sign on the wall when we first arrived at the bunker, painted to the far wall, but the corpses... It was the same as the one painted on the trucks the Wendys used to attack Gala and I with. I am certain that band of Wendys were responsible."

I lower my voice, wondering exactly how insane I'll sound as the words escape my lips... "Spirits reside in that bunker, Ro... They demanded vengeance. They would have trapped us down there, and gradually taken us all as they did KellyTires if I had not agreed to bring them peace..." I look to him, deathly serious, "that place will continue to attract travelers if I do not bring them peace, Ro, and I am not certain there is anyone else who could understand the spirits there as I do. I must bring them peace to prevent others from meeting a similar fate."
  • edited December 2013
    Ro looks at you askance. Parfait nods, though, she believes it. Ro asks, "Can they get to you now? What if we just lock the hatch and call it done?"

Parfait says seriously, "When the spirits speak, Ro, one must listen. I will help bring them peace. It is good to do this."

Ro looks at both of you for a bit, "Well, I've never beaten ghosts before. It sounds neat. Count me in. I'm going to go win some jingle." He trots off for the gambling hall.

As you are climbing the stairs to your room, Parfait says, "How long do people of the Flats mourn their dead?"
  • I shake my head disapprovingly at Ro's desire to simply walk away from this. Spirits are singular in purpose, and a locked hatch does nothing to deter people who are curious. I'm glad Parfait understands. "Technically we'll be beating people — not spirits." I wonder how you would go about exercising a spirit... Could you do such a thing?

The climb up to our room is slow, and I pause when Parfait asks how long people mourn their dead here... "It depends on your relation to the deceased. Death is very personal out here... The mourning period can last hours, or years. I knew a woman in Oasis who mourned the loss of her husband for years — she still does, really. She is not unhappy — just deeply affected by her loss. Others celebrate death for only a short time, and deny being affected by it their whole life. Most people do not have the luxury of mourning for more than a few days though. Topps will be forced to move on if she hopes to live. It is the way of things out here."

I resume the climb up the stairs, and add, "I would mourn you for a very, very long time if I lost you."
  • Parfait listens, intently, as she does. When you start back up the stairs, she holds your arm and follows, "I am sorry to hear that, Jack. I do not want you to be sad for me. I only ask that you outlive me." She smiles, her odd kind of compliment.

Once you reach your room, you find Topps is fast asleep. Parfait checks on her, then smiles a little, and motions for you to follow her to the balcony.

What do you do?
  • That is an odd thing to wish, I suppose. I would give my life for her in a heartbeat – I suppose that is her way of saying that. I place the food on the night stand next to Topps' bed, and joint Parfait out on the balcony. "How much of this place would you like to see, my dear? Or of the flats? Where might you like to birth our son?"
  • You see her profile in the twin moonlight. She has a healthy glow, the curiosity in her eyes is evident tonight. While still looking at the lights of the town, she replies, "I want to see the market. Can we sell our jewelry here?" She turns to you, looking up into your eyes, "I want our son to be born on the road, Jack. It is in our spirit." She quirks her brow, "Where do you want him to be born?"
  • I look out towards the market, and smirk as I take my place beside her. "I can't see why not — other than perhaps some odd regulations they may place on us as non-citizens. I'm sure we could find someone interested in your jewelry!" I look down at her as she confesses her desire for our son to be born on the road. I smile, but I am not so certain I could risk a birth out in the elements. Parfait is strong, and has the shape of a woman meant to bear children, but I need to make sure my wife and son will be safe, healthy, and ready for the trials that will await them.

I hold her, and appreciate the beauty of her form in the moonlight. "I would sooner you birth our son in the presence of the best angel the flats have ever known; but if our son is at all like either of us, he will come on his own time, and at a place of his own choosing." I smile, "and that is just fine with me."
  • "I love you, Jack." She says it to the wind, but you hear her easily, even moreso in her mind. "I knew we would end up together. I am so thankful you came back, and I was there. You are my world." She looks up at you, the moons-light shining in her dark eyes. She stands on her tiptoes up to kiss you, nibbling at your mouth softly, with deftness that she learned from you.
  • edited December 2013
    I smile down at her, and melt as I hear her whole soul speak of her love for me. I kiss her back, and pull her close. "And you are mine. The fates certainly smiled on me that fateful day... I only wish I could have come home to you sooner, my dear... Perhaps I was not ready then — blinded by my immaturity, and ignorant of the truth — but I am now devoted to you wholly, my dear."

I run my fingers through her hair, and rub the small of her back gently. "Thank you for being there for me, my dear... When the voices would not yield... You were a great comfort to me. Your voice soothes my mind, and keeps their cruelty at bay. I love you too."
  • Parfait closes her eyes, relishing in your touch, making soft pleasant sounds. It's chilly out here tonight, and she snuggles close. "You returned when you were meant to return. If you had come earlier, I would not be ready to leave. We are here now."

She nuzzles against your neck for a little while. Finally, she says, "I am cold, Jack."
  • I am content to simply hold her. It is indeed a cold night, and I wrap her in my jacket while I wear it when she complains before lifting her chin to look up at me. I kiss her passionately.

Then after a moment I whisper, "then we'd best retreat to the warm bed, my dear. No spirits will haunt us tonight."
  • --END SCENE--