[SWAW] The Replacements [Kelb Tott S3]

edited December 2013 in SWAW
Kelb,

Pem organized a number of different interviews for replacement crew members. You met with an Corellian ex-spy, an Imperial Navy washout with a dead-eye, and a few other random mercs you've had dealings with, but never had the space to bring on... Pem has a few more lined up, as you haven't yet made a decision.

Which of the interviews went the worst? The best?

Tott,

You're between jobs at the moment, staying at an old crewmember's hotel on Kestic Station. Kestic is a free-trade space-station bordering the outer-rim of the galaxy, that is well known for being "outlaw friendly". What was the last job you worked? Why are you staying here now?

Comments

• [Tott]

The last job I worked was for to Norin Lithal, a trader who moonlights as an arms smuggler. She found out that one of her people had been skimming some of the merchandise, a problem that she had confronted her supplier about. It came to blows, Norin got her ass kicked and she lost her best connection. Suffice it to say, she was very interested in scaring the piss, shit, and even mucus out of the weasel who lost her that.

I was there mostly to smile maniacally and do tricks with my chain, but also to end things if they got ugly.

Right now, though, I've got my widest, most fuzzy smiles on for the head cook pf the hotel's kitchen. A severe woman who makes the best damn Rycrit stew I've had outside of my Grandmother's when I was small. It's worth the imported-level cred Fourteen charges for it - I just would rather not have to.
  • edited December 2013
    The washout was the worst. He may have been a crack shot, but the guy propositioned me, right off. Asked me when Kelborn was coming. Yendil Klipper was his name. I will not be hiring that guy, no thanks.

I am pretty interested in hiring Mack'Sinto "Macks " Dayvrin. He interviewed well, has good marks. He trained with the Quarren resistance. I'm strongly considering him. He's quiet and of all things, thoughtful. He would be a good support alongside Pem, not as mouthy as the rest of the crew. The guy is strong, too, he should be able to hold his own in a firefight. Plus, being Quarren, we can save creds on SCUBA gear. Okay, that was Pem's idea.

The ex-spy, who only went by the name Nill, was just a little too secretive for my tastes. I like her, she could be useful for some ad-hoc work, but I don't see her as "team material". The other mercs, a male Kel Dorian named Ukuun and a female Rodian named Tezzik, they are on my shortlist for a try-before-you-buy mission. We really shouldn't have taken those twenty some pirates on with this tiny crew. I need to bulk up.

None of them are a definite "yes", though...
  • Kelb,

You finally have a minute to yourself as you enter 14's hotel. Your eye happens to wander into the kitchen, and you spot an old "friend" sitting there eyeing 14's chef — Tott.

I say "friend" — is that true?

Tott,

A few people just came in who you've worked with before... Pem, and Kelborn, some of 14's old crew. How are your relations with them?
  • Is Tot a friend? Well, he's definitely an ally. A really attractive ally. That's close! I grin when I see him and head over, "Tott, you old so and so, when did you get in?" He knows Pem, I grab a seat by him.

Just so you know, I'm wearing my tight black slacks with a yellow stripe down the side, my calf-length black synth-leather head-stomper boots, with my heavy blaster on my gun-belt and my vibro-blade on the other side. My top is a simple a-shirt with a vest. My hair is pulled back into a pony-tail, I haven't really done anything with it, just got it out of the way. No makeup, never bother with the stuff.

I turn to face Tott when I sit, grinning my lop-sided grin. "Pem," I lay some creds on the table, "Order us some drinks, yeah?"
  • My relations are fine, mutual disinterest - at least, I assume it's mutual. The last time I saw Kelborn, she was pretty young, a scrappy thing, and...as my eyes scan more than just her face, I feel my tentacles tense against my scalp.

Good moon she's grown up tight.

"Kelborn." I smile, and feel the heat she's inspiring spilling from my lips. "What a pleasant surprise."

Pem is ignorable in the light of this new revelation.

• I roll my eyes a little at his look. I don't remember Tott giving me this kind of attention before. Weird. It's the same armor, the same Mandalorian. What is up with him, I wonder? "I haven't seen you since Fourteen retired! You're looking good, no ugly scars, at least. Still in the game, or moved on?"
  • "Once a player and all that. What have you been up to lately? Killed anyone interesting?"
  • "Nothing too interesting," I reply as Pem slides me a drink. "Ran some miners who jumped a claim off their rock. Pem here took down a Wookiee among them. We just got back from clearing out a small pirate den." I drain the glass in one shot, looking at it, not Tott.

"Mr. Burr didn't make it off that iceball, though." My voice isn't soft, I'm not sad. I'm paying my respects. Pollux Burr didn't serve with Fourteen, but his deeds were known. Sure, the rep was a little tarnished from age, there were jokes about his use of cybernetics to keep his edge, but he was a warrior-born and forged.
  • Pem comes back with a few drinks, and hands them out.
  • The name hits home.

"Esteemed company you've been keeping. I'm sorry to hear he's gone - but glad to hear he went down as a warrior." I raise my drink, "Ryma gesu'tak allesh, Sesk'vati. Farewell, warrior. May the Mother keep you safe.

Very formal and flowery and hopefully, impressive.
  • I raise my drink with Tott, meet his toast, give him a grim nod. I don't speak Twi'Leki, but it sounds good. I know Tott wouldn't disrespect Mr. Burr.

"He took down ten of them himself, Tott," I say this with reverence. "Hit them from a click away, like magic. They had to use a turret to take him down. It was a good death."

I let that hang in the air, not much more to say. "Believe it or not, but Mr. Burr was working for me, Tott. Funny, right? I set up my own team. Pem's my fixer. Jazz is still with me." Not "with me" with me, I'm sure Tott knows that. "Got a techie, too. She's pretty zeng." Yes, it's a small team. I'm sure Tott knows that right off.
  • I'm a bit disappointed we're talking real, crunchy business. I would have preferred casual, fill the air with small talk before hot groping business. I eye her patiently, waiting for her to get to the point.
  • "Uhhh...." I realize I've lost him. Maybe I should order another drink? I exhale loudly, "I'm sorry, Tott. I just went through a bunch of interviews, trying to build the team up again. I've got it stuck in my brain."

Here, I'll bribe him to forgive me. "You want another drink?"

Then, I ask, "How are you?" Guys who are bored usually like to talk about themselves. I wonder, is he still a crack shot? Need to ask him later.
  • "I'm fine. No on the drink. I like to keep a clear head." She's just sniffing around for a replacement. May as well stick to business...for now. "I know a couple mercs, only a day or two away, that might be interested. One of them has kids, would like something a little more regular to keep food on the table."
  • He brushes me off? Well, alright then. I guess I'll move to light conversation then. "Alright, well, give me their idents, I'll follow up."

I sit there, he doesn't want a drink, he doesn't want to talk. Pem... save me!
  • Kelb,

Pem notices you're struggling to find the path, and he jumps in to try and recover.

Tott,

Pem smiles wide, and leans forward. "See, we're not really looking for people with liabilities like that... A bad past, or a debt, or something isn't so bad — but a family? That muddies the waters. What about you Tott? Word around the galaxy is you're a decent enough shot. You carry a big enough gun... Decent enough company if you're looking for a little extra jingle in your pockets."
  • Cold pleasure fills my chest. There it is.

"I could bean a cleaner droid off a speeder, sure." I lean back in my chair, pretending to consider. The decision's already made - I just want it to feel like a favor. "Sure, why not. I don't mind helping out some old allies in a tough spot. I could run with you for a while." I direct that last comment at Kelb, locking eyes with her.
  • Is he flirting with me? I, uhhh, I did have a thing for him back on Fourteen's team. He ignored me pretty much. And now, well, here he is.

Must not sleep with team members. Must not.

"That's great, Tott! We'll fill out some forms and whatnot later." I give Pem a thankful look, then raise my glass. Is this my third, "To new allies!"
  • Tott,

After a little catching up, and perhaps harmless flirting, you agree to inform the rest of the group. Squall, the Rattataki techie is a softspoken ... uh, woman? Probably? Everyone seems to be calling her that. She shook your hand in greeting. You know Jazz, of course. He's the only other member of the team, officially. He's a bit gruff, and walks with his usual swagger. How do you remember him from your time on 14's crew?

Kelb,

As luck would have it, a job has come up right here on Kestic station. One of the shop-keepers in the local market is complaining about getting roughed up by some thugs of a new merchant with some muscle. He's hoping you and your crew would be willing to send him a message on behalf of the merchant's cabal.
  • "Jazz! I see your balls are as big as ever." I keep my tone jovial as he shakes my hand a little too hard. I remember him just this way, although time seems to have smoothed some of his greater-than-thou attitude. I find it disgusting, but he is competent, so I won't mind working with him.

As I turn to meet Squall, I flinch as I meet her gaze. I know this woman. She lost her druk all over a job I was doping for a dangerous client. Schutta nearly got me killed. "A pleasure to know I'll be working with two enchanting women. Lucky me.
  • They're comparing the size of their genitals already? Great. This is going to work out wonderfully. I wonder if I should assign them to be bunkmates? That would be funny.

He is easy on the eyes. And, if he hasn't lost his edge, one serious sniper. "Alright, team, we've got a little job already. Let's work it with just us five. It's shopkeeper troubles, nothing too grand. New merchant trying to muscle our client out. We go to the new guy, let him know this is an unwise move."

I look to each of them, "Chances are that new merchant will double down, so let's stay frosty, work in pairs in case the retribution comes quick. Also, try to keep station security out of it, I've had enough trouble with them lately."

This one is for Jazz mostly, but I don't call him out specifically, "Let's avoid killing these guys if we can. Never know when the new guy might try to pay us for a job down the road. Squall, find out where new guy is from, who is backing his play. Probably something organized. Pem and Tott, scout the guy's shop, see if you can spot any toughs. Jazz and I will deliver the message, you all will be keeping eyes on what happens when we kick the rock over."

"Questions?"

• Tott,

Jazz grins widely and shakes your hand fiercely, "Tott, you bastard, who dragged you out of the woodwork? Come to show Pem here how to shoot a stationary target?" Pem slaps his arm, and there's boisterous laughter around the table. Jazz nods and sits back down, "It's good to see you."

Eek... Must have been before she met Kelb, I guess. Does Squall recognize you?

Kelb,

The plan is extraordinarily straightforward, and nobody is in disagreement. ... Well, Jazz might not like that he doesn't get to shoot someone, but he's alright with letting it go for easy credits. Jazz asks, "when do we head out?"
  • "No time like the present!" I say with a air of positivity. Always the best way to feel better, get into a job. "Squall, start your research. Pem and Tott, go ahead and case the joint now."

I'll pull Jazz along with me, we can go talk to the client, get some more details.
  • It's likely she never saw me - her face doesn't give any indication, anyway.

I'm impressed with Kelb's casual authority. She's trying a little too hard to be sunny, but I'm beginning to remember that social graces were never her strong suit. It's cute on her.

I'll have to change my tactics if I want to taste her. Tease her open like an oyster.

I tuck those thoughts away for later as I step in next to Pem.
  • == END SCENE ==