[Junk XIII] Last Leg (J 7-6)

edited December 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Jack,

A week of rest at Snoozebox did you a world of good. Ro and Topps stuck around, fetching supplies. Ro took on some day work hauling freight and Topps sold off a few items to make sure everyone stayed afloat. On the second day, you're able to move the curtain back to the shower and rest on the bed like a normal human being.

The four of you hook up with a water shipment heading east to the Ascendant. Ro set it up, he knows the driver, some woman named Bank, nice enough lady. You can tell she has the hots for Ro, but well, he does, too. Not interested, but he is nice enough to her to get stuff.

Ro hops on his bike in the cold, cold morning to head out. Parfait's riding your bike. Do you ride with her, or do you follow her suggestion and ride in the much warmer, much more comfortable cab in Bank's big truck?

Comments

• Well I'm already stiff and sore from spending a week in bed recovering from a bullet wound, and I would rather Parfait have my warm jacket for the ride – so I follow Parfait's suggestion to stay in the Truck, if only to have that extra day's comfort and recovery.

Tomorrow, if we are still riding, I will offer the seat to Parfait. For now, I will enjoy the scenery as best I can.
  • edited December 2013
    The first day is long, and slow. The ride is unnecessarily rough due to the complete lack of roads. Bank passes the time quietly, there's no radio reception here. She seems introspective, which I'd guess you can appreciate. As the night encroaches, you see a small grouping of old trucks formed up like some makeshift roadhouse. Bank comments idly, "Well, this must be the new place Aqua mentioned." looks like she's pulling in, but she looks like she doesn't completely trust this.

What do you do?
  • Introspection is only nice insofar as it helps me keep straight which of a person's voice is talking — the outer, or inner voice. I turn to Bank when she idly comments about this "new place Aqua mentioned" ... She's spoken with Aqua. I suppose that might explain why she's been so silent.

I eye the approaching structure appraisingly. "What did Aqua mention about it?"
  • Bank looks over at you, then back at the roadhouse, "Said it was a way station some guy named Skilsoft set up for all the traffic going to and fro. A little rough, but better than nothing. Swill's expensive, though."

She pulls the truck up to the half-moon area like a ship coming to port and turns off the engine. Ro and Topps and PArfait pull up alongside, bikes idling as they look up at Bank and you. Bank asks, "You wanna brave it?"
  • Something about this strikes me... Skilsoft... Do I know that name?

The weather is getting cold, and I know camping would be unpleasant. The thought of sleeping on the frozen ground is made even less appealing by the fact that I am about as stiff as it already. I nod, "Let me have a look. If it seems particularly untrustworthy, then we can pack up and try our luck on the road."
  • Bank nods, "Sure. I'm gonna check on the truck before I come in. You all check it out."

Parfait and Ro walk in with you under the covering.

Please go here