[SWAW] Team meeting [S4 Kelb]

edited January 2014 in SWAW
Ludov was reasonably happy that his daughter was returned to him alive. He wound up paying you a little less than promised, as the medical fees he'd incurred for her were quite significant. You pocketed 1-cred after all was said and done.

It's about a week later, and you've had some time to recover from your injuries. Jaina has invited you to sleep with her in her room. Your crew has definitely noticed. As a result, you're having that meeting you talked about earlier in the week right now. Tott has opted to stay behind for some contract work, but Macks, Tezzik and Nill are still with you, along with Pem, Jazz and Squall.

You're all gathered in the lounge as Jaina is working with her first mate to leave for ... Wait, where are you going next? What do you tell the group?

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I don't have them line up and stand at attention. I hated that stuff, and Pem wouldn't bother anyway, so I don't. I let them hang out, sit down, however they like. As long as they pay attention and do the job.

Well, here goes. I clear my throat, "Hey team, I wanted to chat with you about something personal." I wait for any jokes from Pem or Jazz, then continue. "I'm seeing the captain, and it's my business. She isn't part of our team, and that's why I decided to make it a... a thing. Like, a sort of ongoing thing." Wow, that was underwhelming.

I assure them, "It will not impact my decision-making for the team. We won't take safer jobs, and I won't hesitate to take on work that I think we can do and do well." I look at Jazz first, then find myself glancing at Squall, too. "I know being a merc is a hard life, and while I've got a chance to grab a bit of happiness, I'm taking it. And as far as how you guys handle your own business, or fraternize or whatever. Up to you. Sleep where you want, with who you want, as long as you're all good with it. It's a hard life. Last thing I'm gonna do is judge you for who you spend your time with. Trust me, I'm open minded"

Then, I get a little serious, "As long as we still work as a team, we keep our stuff professional, that's all I care about. The moment one of your dramas hit the field, and it puts us at risk, then I will put a stop to it. All the way to kicking any one of you off the team. Get me?"
  • edited January 2014
    Most of the crew was expecting this, especially Jazz — who is smirking as you give your little speech. Most people seem to be on board with your decision, Pem even offering a hearty "Here here!" When you mention grabbing a little happiness for yourself. He's big into that. Nill seems bored by the conversation, like it's just not her thing. Squall is quiet, but supportive.

When you finish your speech, Jazz asks, "I ain't wearing a dress to the wedding, that's all I'm saying!" Everyone laughs.

Squall asks, "so is this a recent thing? Or an old fling?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I shrug, "Well, I had a little crush for her when we first met, but nothing happened until recently. We dated, nothing serious, then I sort of..." I look around, but miss looking right at Squall, "Meandered. But well, now I'm shacking up with her, so that's over."

Then I grin at Jazz with my crooked grin, "One of these days, I'll get one up on you, Jazz. Then, I will have you dance around in a dress, that is for sure!" I laugh, because the idea of him in a dress isn't funny, but his reaction to it, that's hilarious!

"Anyone got any business to discuss?" If they don't, I ask Pem, "What do you have lined up for us, Pem?"
  • Squall nods along smiling at the end. "That's sweet!" She says softly, which incites a couple of chuckles from the men in the gang — Nill joined in, she doesn't share in this sentimentality stuff.

Jazz shakes his head, "the only way you're getting me in a dress is if you're wearing one too — and you'd better pick one that shows off my rockin' bod."

Pem is roaring with laughter now, wiping fake tears and slapping various limbs. When you ask him what's going on, he has to calm himself before continuing. "Oh... That's rich... Work? Well we've got a security contract for an Imperial noble's dinner party, some rebel activity contracts from the Empire, and a heist job from an old friend of yours." He smiles wide — who do you know that would flat up offer you a heist job?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I bet its Dreegon Halfex, a Toydarian who works out of Nar Shaddaa. That little troublemaker and I have worked together for a few jobs. "Hey Nill, you feel like stealing something?" We're taking the heist job.
  • Nill shrugs, "Sure. I'm always up for a good heist."

Pem is very excited by this move, "This is going to be great, Kelb! The pay on this job is through the roof!" He stands and pats you on the shoulder, "I'll go set up the acceptance."

It looks like people are about to head back to whatever they were doing... What do you do?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I'm going to have the autochef prep some food for Jaina and me, then take it to her room, set up a little dinner, and wait for her. A little surprise, since we're all official now. I mean, why not, right? This is what couples do.
  • The food is starting to lose warmth by the time Jaina finally comes back to the room. She looks a little tired, and lazily slips out of her jacket with a smile when she sees you've set up a little display. "Well, well... Kelborn Vizsla — did you make us dinner?"

She gradually makes her way over to the desk you're multi-purposing as a table, and pulls out the chair to sit with you. "Have I tamed you?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    "Well, the autochef did the work, I just picked out the style. Nabooan stew." I answer with a grin. I was salivating over it for a while, spent some time reading one of the novels on her datapad, she likes some trashy stuff, really. "It's not bad, even tastes just a little sweet. And no, you haven't tamed me," I answer with a scolding tone. "Wait till later, and I'll show you who is tamed, Captain."

I wait for her to sit, then realize maybe I should have offered to pull her seat out for her. Nah, whatever. "I wanted to do something nice for my, ah, my girlfriend." There, I said it.
  • Her eyebrow raises when you call her your girlfriend, and her chest fills with air as a surprised smile lifts the corners of her lips. She blinks a few times, bites her lip contemplatively, and grabs her spoon. "Well... I guess I'll have to think of a way to show my girlfriend how much I appreciate this!"

She takes a few spoonfuls of the stew, and starts up conversation. What do you guys normally talk about at dinner?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    "That's exactly what I wanted to hear," I reply as I take a spoonful myself.

Conversations? Normally, Jaina will rattle off all the stuff she did getting the ship ready for transport, working down her normal list of things, then listing anything weird, like systems bypasses, or anything that burned out or needs some repair. I know she's mentally working through her checklist, so I sit quietly, ask questions about anything that sounds like a recurring problem, offer help if I see a chance. It's my home too, now. I'm no pilot, but I can work a hydrospanner.

I do the same whenever I'm prepping for ops. I may not look it, but I work really hard getting all the details right. I often throw myself headlong into danger, but for my crew, I try to have fallback options or back-up plans.

But that's business. If there's no business, which until recently, there wasn't, we fall into old patterns. Talking about home. People on Mandalore that we knew, or any gossip about home. She was touchy about it at first, but when I added in a few bits, she relaxed, and now, we'll fall into straight up gossip sessions about Mandalore. It's shameless, Jazz would scold me for it.

She has little hobbies, too. Meticulous work, fine details, things like that. She's a bit of a hoarder, not too bad. But like the beret, that was a surprise then, but it isn't so much now. My hobbies are almost purely physical. That's why I was reading her novel. I don't really have any. Alright, truth be told, if it isn't a military history or small unit tactics or repair manual, I don't have one. It's boring. I know. She's hinted that it is.
  • Jaina walks you through the few things that need repairs. Apparently the shield generator is still poodoo, even after all those repairs. After that she switches right into the gossip about Mandalore — which she opens with, "Oh! By the way! You'll never guess whose name popped up on the cortex when we dropped out of hyperspace last! Baltan! Apparently the nerf-herder is still alive, and wanted for trial back on Mandalore..."

Who's Baltan, Kelb, and why are you surprised he'd stand trial?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I make a mental note about the shield generators. We are limited to ground pounding until she can get it fixed. We should look into getting a new one.

Baltan was part of our unit, Jazz and mine. We were raised in the same unit for ten cycles. Saying we were tight as kids is an understatement. He served a term and mustered out. Went civilian, but not really. He went into the criminal underground on Mandalore Prime. Last I heard, he rose up so high that he was untouchable, so this is a real surprise.

"What did they get him for? Who caught him? Anyone we know?" Please say Garrus, please say Garrus.

I'm nearly done with my stew, idly picking up a spoonful, then slowly dripping it out while listening to her. Oh, and I slipped my shoes off earlier, so I'm playing footsie with her under the table. I'm tamed? Not even.
  • Jaina nods, "Garrus got the evidence, but Baltan is still on the run — apparently Garrus went rogue and started going all vigilante on Baltan's men. Rumor has it he took down half a company of mercs to get a kriffload of evidence against Baltan, and now the Duchess can't find a way to turn a blind eye without pissing the whole planet off... It's a real poodoo-fest."

She finishes her stew, and leans back in her chair. Returning your foot-rubs with a smile, "You were stationed with him, weren't you? Did you ever suspect you'd have worked with a major crime lord?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I chuckle, "That sounds like Garrus. He is so thick-headed." Takes one to know one, right? I'm lightly tracing my toes up and down her shin, just barely touching skin to skin when she asks if I was stationed with Baltan. I exhale sharp through my nose, "Yeah, we were squaddies, him and Jazz and me. I think Jazz had a little man-crush on him. He was always a little bit of trouble, and I figured he'd go merc one day." I trace lazy circles in the liquid of my remaining stew as I admit, "I didn't think he'd make a bloody ascent through the Syndicate back home. I wonder sometimes what made him turn. Or change. Whatever you want to call it."

"We do bad things for creds, Jaina..." I say suddenly. "On some worlds, another Garrus would be hunting me down, you know? It's an odd thought, the idea of Baltan being a "bad guy", when he's just doing what he was trained to do, in a different environment. Kinda like me. You know?" I pause for just a second, flinching on that thought.

However, I don't want tonight to be all glum and moody, so I turn it around. I slip up out of my chair real quick and slide around the desk to stand beside Jaina, leaning down into her face. I wore her favorite perfume, which isn't too cheap, so I know if wafts in when I ask, "You happy you got a bad girl, Jaina?" I reach down to put a finger under her chin and bring her mouth up so I can kiss it, just the once, "You like bad girls, don't you?" I smile wickedly, trying to wash away thoughts of being a criminal or evil back home from her thoughts as well as mine.

Stars, she's so beautiful.
  • Jaina leans in and puts a hand on your forearm, "I somehow doubt you were involved in the sex trade on Mandolore, or the abduction and trafficking of young children, spice, and illegal firearms." That doubt seems entirely genuine too — is she right to assume that? She smiles, and you can see her nostrils twitch pleasantly when you lean in to kiss her. She closes her eyes and lets you tease her.

She doesn't hesitate to answer, "I do like bad girls. I like breaking them." She nibbles her lip suggestively and eyes the bed, "the question is... What do I get for being a good girl?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    She's right to say that. I've been up front with her. I haven't listed out my sins against humanity exactly, but I've told her what I've done.So far, they have been taking lives, theft of property, a bit of smuggling. No kids, no slavery, no drugs. Just black ops stuff. Just... like it's better. As if I've drawn a line or I stand above.

Well, okay, trafficking in young children is awful, and hearing that about Baltan makes me feel sick. Is she serious?

Focus, Kelborn, focus. Beautiful girl. Bedroom. Check that. Girlfriend. Our bed. Even better.

"Break me? Tame me?" I ask as I chuckle, then gently nudge her bowl of stew back and sit half my butt on the table. I'm wearing a dress tonight. For her. It's a simple thing with thin pairs of straps to hold it up, not too revealing of my meager bosom, a little high, to show off my legs. Strapped sandals, which I removed earlier, if you recall. She bought this for me, said I look beautiful in it. I figured, you know, why not?

WAIT A SECOND! IS that taming me? Ooh, you tricky woman!

"It depends, good girl." I follow her eyes to the bed, silently asking her to go over there. "What would you want?" I realize the question is wide open as soon as it leaves my lips, and there's a moment of fright that clutches me. I don't know exactly why. I want to know the answer. I'm a little worried about it, too.
  • What are you worried about Kelborn? She's your girlfriend, right? Trust, and all that?

She stands from her chair and takes your hand to drag you to the bed with her. She's hung the beret off her bedpost, and dug out some extra pillows for you. She climbs onto the bed on her knees, and pulls you on with her.

She's got a rather devious looking smile as she reaches over to the nightstand and opens the bottom drawer... It would appear she's feeling rather adventurous tonight. Are you still worried when you see what she has in mind?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Oh Stars, that beret.

Worried? No, not exactly worried, no. Just, well, is she going to use it on me? That's a first. I'm usually the dominant one, at least so far.

I'm not scared or anything. I've been with men. Several. I will not say "a lot of men", even if it might be slightly true. Truish. I've just never submitted to a girl before. This will be, ah, interesting.

"So, good girls..." I say as I scoot back into the pillows. I still have my dress on, but well, let's say I planned ahead for this eventuality. "Good girls want to... take charge?" Her smile is infectious. I am the luckiest girl in the galaxy right now.
  • She pulls it out and puts it between you two, then puts her arms around your neck and kisses you tenderly on the lips. "Good girls get to take charge." Then she takes the beret and haphazardly sticks it on your head.
  • That answer, plus the earlier thing about "taming me", I wonder if there's something wrong. Something I'm not picking up here.

I want to Observe her.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2 . Rolls: 1, 2. Total: 5)
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I reach up to adjust the beret a little and laugh quietly, like it bubbles up from inside me. She's so cute like this. I sit up and start working her top off, kissing her with more fire. This is going to be fun, I really want this. These nagging thoughts can wait.

"Yes, Captain Jay," I tell her in as coquettish a voice as I can muster. I'm probably never going to be as sexy as Jaina, it's just not my nature to flirt effectively. I'm too direct. But I think I pulled that off. You want to be in charge, Jay? You got it, tonight. I'm all yours.
  • Fire off your sex move, Kelb.

And while you're at it, since you're travelling through the outer rim...

When you travel on a freighter in the outer rim, pick one option from the list below.

• None of the passengers approach you with a problem.
    • There are no unexpected visitors to deal with.
    • You get a little bit of free time with your crew.
    • The relations with the ship's crew have been both professional and amiable.

If you would like to pick more, roll+sharp. On a hit, choose 1 more. On a 10+ choose 2 more. On a miss, something completely unexpected comes up that has taxed you. Take -1forward while in transit.
  • I'll take a +1 Forward (and use it right now on this travelling roll) and give it to her, too.

Travel on a freighter (with +1 Forward added):
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 2, 6. Total: 11)
  • I choose:
    • None of the passengers approach me with a problem.
    • I get a little bit of free time with your crew.
    • The relations with the ship's crew have been both professional and amiable.

Which of course means:
    • There are unexpected visitors to deal with.
  • The rest of the trip out to Dantooine is largely uneventful, with lots of downtime for chores and leisure. Jazz took up a game of Sabacc with Pem, Macks and Nill. Tezzik, ever the busy body, kept herself occupied with chores and pestering Squall. Squall has been rather withdrawn as of late, opting to set up a variety of relays to various ship systems through her encrypted datapad for ease of access.

Jaina summoned you up to the bridge to make the drop out of hyperspace, and carefully drops into Dantooine space with little effort. The giant blue marble hangs motionless in the bridge window, and there's a brief moment of peace — before the comm light starts flashing red. Jaina looks over and flips through the ping's header for a name...

"Poodoo," she whispers dejectedly, "it's my backers..." She turns to you, looking a little worried, "what should I do?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I know she's been keeping up on payments, so I give her a reassuring nod, "Go ahead and answer. Turn off any locator ping. See what they want. I'll be right near you."
  • Jaina nods and flips a few switches on the comm console. A few seconds later, she clears her throat and calmly says, "Captain Jaina Dene of the Ebon Hawk."

There's a brief silence before a moneyed Chiss voice comes over the comm, "Miss Dene, I'm glad I could catch you. Our records show that you left port on Kestic a few days ago, when we were hoping you would submit to our inspection request. Care to comment?"

Jaina looks over to you, a little anxiety showing through he professional mask, then answers, "I must have missed him."

There's a quick "*tut, tut*," from the Chiss, followed by, "well, I would imagine that's quite fortunate for you then — the cortex is filled with news of a brutal murder on Kestic. Apparently some ruffian mercs up and killed the very man we sent to inspect your ship!" Jaina doesn't answer, she's holding in a breath. The Chiss adds, "fancy that. I don't suppose you could comment on that could you?"

Jaina can't seem to move her lips. What do you do?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I have to admit that seeing Jaina flinch like this is a tad disappointing. She was so intimidating back when she was my trainer!

This is not going to go well.

I speak up, "Hello, I'm Captain Jaina's head of security. You can call me Kelb. Your representative on Kestic did meet with Captain Jaina Dene. He physically struck and wounded her several times." I pause just long enough for that to sink in. My tone is hard, not hateful or vengeful. "I cannot speak to the unfortunate death of your associate, but I want you to be well aware of two things. First, the payments owed by Captain Jaina Dene for her property to your business will be made as originally arranged, without fail. I personally guarantee that she will meet her obligation to you in that regard. Second, you would be wise to avoid further attempted inspections or altercations with Captain Jaina Dene. I will consider future encroachment on her property a hostile act. Are we clear, sir?"
  • There's a pause on the comm, and some rustling on the other end. Eventually the Chiss' voice comes back, "I'm sorry miss... Whoever you are. I am most disappointed to hear that our inspector did not perform his duties in a respectable way. We tend to hire people who are persistent, and have a keen eye for bantha poodoo. Am I to take your tone in the second matter as authoritative, and final?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I look to Jaina on that one. I'm not above an inspection, if they are respectful. I fully expect they would be, with my crew around. But this is Jaina's boat. If she wants to play hard to get, we can run all over the galaxy.
  • Jaina reaches up and mutes the comm. It's an action that will no doubt be heard on the other end, and they'll interpret it as deliberate. She eyes you silently for a minute, then answers, "he's lying. "Inspection" is a guise they use to get in — then they're in intergalactic jurisdiction to do whatever the kriff they want. Why do you think he hit me at all?"

She leans forward and takes your hand, "Cyclical inspections are on the contract... If we say no to that, we're going rogue. They'll try and take the ship, and I'm willing to fight to keep it ... I'm ready to accept that if you and your crew are."
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I ask, just to be sure, "Can we hire a neutral party to perform inspections to their specs?"

I've got a bad feeling about this. It just seems... odd that these guys are pushing Jaina so hard. There's something she isn't saying. I'm trying to get a read off her right now.
  • Reading Jaina:
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 1, 5. Total: 8)
  • • is Jaina telling the truth?
  • Jaina wiggles her head around indefinitely, "Yes, but they have veto say on the inspection companies... They could buy one out, or just plant someone in a company we provide for them."

Jaina is absolutely telling the truth here. She's basically already picked a fight with these people — she was just hoping she could squeeze some peace time out of running, and she's slowly realizing that won't happen.
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Once we violate their contract, it pushes us to the Outer Rim, limits what work we can do. It might be smart to hook up with a Cartel, or someone who would give us an umbrella. But I don't know if I'm ready for that. If I ever will be.

"Tell them no, then." I want her to say it. But the look I give her, she knows I have her back. I trust her and support her, and I will fight for her and defend her.
  • She turns back to the comm, and flips the mic back on. She clears her throat — possibly for effect — and calmly, but firmly, answers, "That's final. I'm withdrawing from our contract, and keeping the penalties because of the violence your associate brought down on me."

There's a disappointed sigh that rings through the comm, and the Chiss voice answers, "Well, that's most unfortunate Jaina... You can expect to be hearing from our representatives shortly."

The comm cuts out and Jaina leans back in her chair, contemplating her navel. What do you do?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    "Guess we're both bad girls now," I comment wryly. "Who gets to take charge now?" I'm not really fazed by this. If anything, it guarantees we're together in this. I put a hand on her shoulder, offer her a wink.
  • Well Kelb, I'm going to be honest: Jaina isn't taking this quite as well as that... Your touch seems to have an effect on her — roll seduce to keep her calm under this new pressure.
  • Sure... let's see how this goes:
    (Rolled: 2d6-1. Rolls: 6, 6. Total: 11)
  • Jaina slowly rises from her chair and paces the bridge for a moment before walking over to the door, sliding it closed, locking it, and walking back to you. She hovers over you, biting her nail and eyeing you voraciously...

Then she throws herself at you with reckless abandon.
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Well, I guess she's in charge! I submit to whims. Again. I can't fight her off, mostly because I don't want to, but also because it is wonderful to be wanted. To be needed by her. It's enough, for now. This. Us. Being her girlfriend. Cruising the galaxy on small unit ops, running from some corporate thugs, a team of mercs at my beck and call. I really like it. I could get used to it.

As she's kissing her way down my now exposed chest, I run my fingers through her hair. This is the first time I've been able to come up for air, (I'm not complaining). "We'll need to work on those shield generators, Jay. Improve the armaments, too. They're going to hit us in space eventually, and if this ship isn't ready, it won't matter how tough my team is. Work up some specs, alright? Squally can help..." She hits "the spot" and I lose my place for a bit. "Oh stars, that's... that's not fair." I consider pulling her back up to keep talking. But no, I don't.
  • Jaina beams up at you, and ignores your plea. The ship will definitely need repairs, and life may never be the same for you two — but right now, as you said, that doesn't matter.

Especially since she's bringing out her A-game.

== END SCENE ==