[SWAW] Ne'er-do-well [S5 Kelb]

edited January 2014 in SWAW
Dreegon Halfex sent along the contact information for a gentlewoman named Miss Por'parets — a recent widow who owns a massive tract of farmland in the western continent. She's invited you out to her home overlooking the sprawling planes — the manor itself being just outside a small town called Starman's Hollow. What's the history there, Kelborn? Why did the place catch your eye despite its relatively small size?

Who did you bring along on this meet and greet?

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    Pem and Nill are here. Jazz is nearby, watching my six. Squall is keeping up comms on the ship with Jaina. I've been working with Macks on converting into our sometimes-sniper, so he's back a few hundred meters. Tezz is his spotter. Everyone else is on the ship, keeping an eye on the skies.

I spent a summer here once, with Jazz. Well, truth be told it was "our summer", when we tried the whole relationship thing. It caught my eye because it was remote. We were on the run after a mission went bad. Some Black Sun thugs wanted their pound of flesh and I wasn't about to give it up.

I'll head up to the door and rap on the front. Or wait, don't they clap loudly on Dantooine? I'll do that, too. Just in case.

"Thoughts, Nill?" I ask quietly as we stand outside waiting.
  • Nill shrugs indifferently, "I don't think she'll get market price for this place when she packs her bags up and heads for the hills."

The door opens not long after, and a tall, middle-aged Cerean woman answers the door. She's well groomed, and very proper. "Hello, can I help you?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I snicker at Nill's derisive comment, but don't add to it. I give Miss Por'parets a nod of greeting, "I think we have a mutual friend. Dreegon sent me." I won't say more. I am glancing past her inside her home. I'm nosy like that.
  • "Ah yes," she says kindly, stepping aside to clear way for your entry, "please, come in. We have much to discuss."

Presuming you follow her, she guides you into the living room just by the door, and offers you a seat on the couch. "Can I offer you something to eat? Drink? I can make tea... I presume you must be Miss Vizsla then? You're here to help me with the matter of my Husband's estate?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    "I am." Stupid Kelb, introduce yourself. You think your rep proceeds you out here?

I follow her in for tea, as does Pem and Nill, if she likes. "I'm here to help with his estate, yes. What happened?" I'll take a seat if she offers, it's polite out here.
  • Por'parets nods, disappears into the kitchen. You can hear her working at something as she answers your question. "Well, I don't know what it is you were told, but my husband recently passed away. He was something of a tycoon in these parts, and built up a business here that most people would admit is quite respectable. He left us quite the fortune in his will; and even though I am his second wife, I feel a responsibility to ensure his children get their dues."

She returns with some tea and hors d'oeuvres, setting them down on the table in front of you. "The issue is that his friend and business partner, a Bothan named Borsk Sei'Is, has — shall we say — performed a hostile takeover of my husband's business..." She pours you all some tea, and remains standing, "barring us access to my Husband's office and things. There are some sentimental things — letters, pictures, objects in his collection with some market value — that I would like you to retrieve for us."

She looks between you all, "will this be a problem?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I listen close to Miss Por'parets, watching her tell her tale. I find it odd that she would go to someone like Deegon for this. But Dantoine is far outside the reach of the Empire. It's an option. We're that option.

"It's not a problem," I answer confidently. "Give us the details. We'll get to work."
  • Miss Por'parets nods with a smile, "Good. My husband's office is located in the agricultural complex's main building. His office on the 4th floor." She produces a datapad, and hands it to you. "If you can retrieve these items, then the fee I discussed with Deegon is yours."

The list is pretty straightforward: the contents of his safe (the combination enclosed for convenience), a prized painting hanging over his desk, three separate documents from a filing cabinet (case numbers included for reference) and one private heirloom – something that brings back memories for you – what is it?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I look over the datapad, but when I see the synth-crystal, listed as a green coloration, it stands out. Jaster gave me a green synth-crystal pendant during that summer. It's a local custom, like a promise ring on Alderaan or a love choker on Mandalore. When Jazz and I broke up, I buried it. I was angry and stupid. Angry at him, at me, at the universe.

"We'll get them, ma'am." I reply as I put the datapad in an over-sized pocket in my coat. "Anything we should look out for?" I take a long sip of tea, to give her time to think on an answer.
  • It sounds like that breakup was pretty one-sided... Who had their heart broken, Kelb?

Por'parets nods, "the Sheriff in town is an old militia man, and he's got a posse of goons who follow his every word. He's a good man at heart, but he has a tendency to follow the letter of the law, and not the spirit — if you catch my drift. Please don't hurt him or his men, if you can avoid it."
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I did. He cheated on me. In retrospect, I pushed him away. She was cute. I don't blame him. Well, not anymore. It was a nice illusion while it lasted.

"No promises, but I'll avoid bloodshed if I can." I answer. Not committing to it, but wholesale slaughter in a nice place like this isn't something I want to do.

But I do want to get paid.

If we're done, then I'll make nice and leave. If she has more, I'll listen. Oh, before we go, if Pem has questions, I want him to ask. I'll give him the look to make sure.
  • Pem nods and has a short chat with her about people that might be able to get you access to the office. Important people in the business, janitors, etc... She does have a few names that might give you a leg up; but truth be told, Por'parets isn't a master thief — you're basically going to be on your own here.

You step back out into the daylight, and Pem starts listing the names over the comm to Squall. There's a long pause before you hear Jaina whisper Squall's name, and Squall replies, "What? Uh, oh! Yup. Ok, I'll get right on it."

Jazz comes over with the landspeeder you rented to get out here and opens the door for you guys. "What's the plan, Kelb?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I hop into the landspeeder, making note of Squall's lack of response. I'm getting worried, high time I chat with her. "Recon. That's what's up. Squally will check security tech, Nill will get a peep inside and you work on the employees for angles." As the speeder hums to life and we start moving, "Macks and Tezz will look for snipe spots. Jazz will plan this one with me."
  • A screen wipe later and you find yourself standing a block away from the building in the dead of night in downtown Starman's Hollow. Jazz and Nill are with you, Macks and Tezz are in a room up on the 4th floor of the hotel across the street. They've got a perfect view of the office, and are reporting all clear.

When you plan an infiltration roll+sharp. On a 10+ hold 3, on a 7-9 hold 2. Spend your hold 1-for-1 during to disable security measures/avoid notice as you see fit. On a miss, you execute your plan perfectly, but an unexpected hiccup has arisen.
  • Planning that infiltration:
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 6, 3. Total: 11)
  • edited January 2014
    Jazz looks over to you, "So how are we getting up there? Jetpacks seems a little flashy for an infiltration..."
  • I give Nill a nod. She'll head in solo while Jazz and I hit the roof and work our way down. My helmet is sitting up o my head so they can see my face. I smirk at Jazz, "I'm thinking we stagger up. Climb up here, then jump across a few roofs, using the packs if we need to. Sound like a plan, Jazz?" I meant it when I told him to set up most of this op. We just hadn't decided on the insertion yet.

Spending one hold to disable roof security measures
  • Jazz nods and moves out, and Nill is already slipping into the ground level.

You climb up and over to the Agricultural Building's rooftop, and disable the security measures at the door with relative ease. Squall's diagrams of the circuit made splicing a breeze. The door slides shut behind you, and you've only got to go down two stories. You know the CEO offices up here have security doing regular passes, and the foyer to the offices is open with a night clerk.

At the moment, only the night clerk is up here. Jazz motions that he has eyes on the clerk, and is waiting for your command.

What do you do?
  • I nod for Jazz to stun the clerk, then he can cover me as I move in. I've got my rvibro-sword out, since my blaster pistol can't be set for stun. I need mobility, so no blaster rifle out, it's slung on my back and the stock is broken down so it is portable. I'd considered dropping armor, but Jazz didn't want to take chances.
  • Jazz shakes his head, and gestures out of range — we need to move in.

What do you do?
  • I'll sigh quietly, pull out my rifle and head in, ducked low, walking like a Jawa. When I get close, I'll stun the guy.
  • Act Under Fire to stun him before he sees you please.
  • edited January 2014
    AUF
    (Rolled: 2d6+1 . Rolls: 2, 2. Total: 5)

(+1 XP)
  • You both come up the hall, hugging the walls on your approach to the front desk. You're bringing your rifle to bear on the clerk when the lift doors slide open beside you and a loud gasp fills the air. It's a young human woman, her hands at her mouth, completely dumbfounded. She looks like an intern here – or maybe a secretary.

You fire off the stunner, and the clerk drops like a stone. Jazz moves quickly to grab the girl in the lift, but she hits a button and the lift doors slam shut in his face... "Kriff!" he screams, kicking the lift door, "Should I run after her? Or do we rush this?"
  • "Go get her." I bark it, then call to Macks, "Getting hot on top level, let us know if the hornets stir up below us."

I'll move forward, less cautious, rifle at the ready. I hope Jazz can catch her and stun her, I don't want to waste these people.

Spending second hold for Jazz to "fisable security measure, aka intern girl.
  • Jazz gets on the comm, "Nill, watch the lift and tell me what floor it's stopping on!" then he bolts for the stairs.

What do you do in the meantime?
  • I'm moving on for the mission, like I said. I trust Jazz will do the work of shutting her up, I'm heading in for the office, our target. What is the security here?
  • OOC: Sorry, missed the part about moving forward.

I'm curious — did you explicitly give Nill the order to stun people? Do you think she'll follow it?

You make it to the office and it's under lock and key... of course. Given that you're basically unmonitored here, how did you dispatch of the lock? When the door finally swings open, you step into a lavish office, adorned with textiles, and paintings, and trophies of all sorts. Mr. Por'parets was clearly a man of fine tastes. You have the combination to the safe on hand, but you also know there are likely cameras in here.

Do you care about being on camera, given that you're in full battle armor?
  • Yes, I explicitly gave Nill an order to stun if possible. The "if possible" means she doesn't put her life or the mission at risk, but if she can avoid bloodshed, she should. She'll follow the order, because she likes challenges. Wholesale slaughter is too easy for a pro like her.

I'm doing this job, right? All alone, and that's zeng. I like doing stuff by myself sometimes. But I'm worried. Thinking about the last time I was here, with Jazz. Thinking about Squall and how she seems so off. Did I trigger that, taking her to the spice den? Is it something I did, or shouldn't have done? She needs me, and I'm busy bumping pretties with Jay. Grabbing what fun I can. Selfish.

The locks are nothing to my little torch. I've got a neat little add-on for my right wrist, rarely attach it, but figured it would work here. It's a blowtorch. So I point fingers down, aim with my wrist and burn holes in the stuff.

The armor hides my face, but well, not many Mandalorians around, so I shoot the cams if I see them. Not too terribly worried about them, to be honest. Quickness is my ally.
  • They're mostly hidden, so finding them would be a bit of a chore. If you're more interested in speed, you enter the combination into the safe behind the painting and it clicks open. The contents there are mostly what you would expect to find in a business owner's safe... A fine blaster, some credits, sensitive documents, etc.

Nill comes on the Comm, "She's getting off on ground, Jazz. Move quick!" Then there's a loud scream, and a blaster shot going off... There's silence a minute, followed by, "shit... Girl is neutralized. Stunned. I'm getting in the lift and going up to 4. I don't think anyone heard her, but she's loud..."

Jazz grunts loudly, but responds, "Alright, coming to you Kelb." Once you've dumped everything in the safe into a bag, you find the green crystal — like the one Jazz gave you — tucked neatly into the back of the safe. You pull it out, and Jazz opens the door behind you. He sees the crystal and stops dead in his tracks.

What do you do?
  • My helmet is on, so he doesn't see my eyes. Which are making it hard for me to see, let's just say that. I look at him, my helmet hiding my expression, thankfully. We have no time. I don't want to talk out loud, my voice might break. Why is this bothering me? Jazz and I were not good for each other. I still love him, he's my brother-in-arms. It's probably the cheating, that feeling, that's it.

Stow it, Kelborn, you're working now!

I stuff everything in a pouch and move for the exit, motioning for him to cover me. Silent hand signals, no words. We're almost done.

Almost done.
  • Just as you reach for the door, before you open it, you hear someone speaking on the other side... It sounds like two people actually, and a big set of double doors closing behind them.

What do you do?
  • Speaking? Then they aren't charging, which is good. There's no other way out of here, so I do a tricky little jetpack boost forward and use that surprise to put my sights on them, fire unless they're friendly, which I sincerely doubt. We're getting out of here.
  • Still using stun? Act Under Fire to take them both out before they can react.
  • yeah... still using stun. I'm a softie!

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 5, 6. Total: 12)

(+1 XP)
  • Congratulations, you just stunned Borsk Sei'Is, and a rather well-dressed man who Jazz recognizes immediately. He stands over the bodies, staring down at them a moment before looking up at you and muttering, "Daaaaaamn Kelb... You just stunned the kriffing mayor!" He looks around in a bit of a rush, then points to the stairs, "we've gotta move! Up or down?"
  • edited January 2014
    I utter something in Huttese, which is a tell that I'm frazzled, and take off at a dead run for the stairs. "Up! Up!"

Stupid Kelborn, stupid!
  • I think it would be fair to mention there's a comm at the front desk... When those guys wake up in a handful of minutes, they're going to use it to call someone with guns. You could spend your last hold to kill it — but if you don't think Kelb would think of that, that's your call.

Nill spots you guys from the lift, and darts after you as you run for the stairs. You'll be out on the roof around the time they wake up. What's the plan here?
  • I'll take out those comms. What a mess!

"When we hit the roof, we're flying out of here, back to the regroup point." I call as I bound up the steps, "Jazz, carry Nill. Macks, keep an eye peeled!"
  • Jazz isn't complaining about holding Nill. Nill looks ... Well, it's hard to tell. She doesn't look pissed about it, but she doesn't look thrilled either. You're down into the streets and well on your way to the spaceport by the time Macks calls out, "They're down on the floor level — it looks like they're trying to get security to call something out."

Squall pipes up, "I see a call going out to the local authorities... Response time is expected to be short. If the Sheriff has reason to suspect off-worlders he may landlock all ships in port until he can inspect the crew... Should we jump to the next port? Touch down out by Por'parets?"

Jazz looks to you as he sets Nill down, "you get everything on the list? We could blow this Popsicle stand..."
  • "Squall, get Jaina to touch down by Por-parets, we'll meet you there. Macks, get your team there ASAP." I glance over at Jazz and Nil, "I've got the goods. We can do the hand-off and get gone."
  • Given that you're about to run out of town to Por'parets' estate, give me one last Act Under Fire to avoid the notice of anyone that might report you.
  • You bet!

AUF for the sneakiness:
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 2, 2. Total: 5)

(+1 XP)
  • Alright, I'll admit jetpacks are a bit showy. Luckily Squall re-routes some traffic on the public comms when folks try to report it (burning a Bond for a +1) and Pem was smart enough to set a little fire in a building to distract security forces as well (burning a Bond for a second +1). I didn't even ask him to do that! I need to kick him something extra. Saved my space bacon.
  • The town is all but in chaos by the time you hit the outer-limits, but Pem chose to start that fire opposite the direction you were headed. You're all but home free when you hear Pem over the comm, "Shit... A few of the Sheriff's men are combing the area. They've got guns out Kelb, should I engage and bolt? Or try and go around them? ... If I can..."
  • "Go around. They're just doing their job, let's avoid them." I order it in sharp staccato. "If you're engaged, fire only stun, minimize damage. Professional. Stay pro, team."

I'm watching Jazz and Nil now. How are they doing? Does he like her? That would be, well, nice.
  • It's hard to tell with that helmet... Jazz has a very big ego, but he's behaving professionally as far as you can tell. You've known him long enough that you could read him though that mask if you're so inclined... Are you?

OOC: remember you can spend bonds to read, if you have them.
  • I'm inclined. It's not really a choice. I am here on Dantooine, Jazz gave me "that look", it's just a reflex.

Tell me what's up Jazz.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 4, 1. Total: 6)

(+1 XP)

• Burning my Bond to get my lonely little question:

What is Jazz really feeling?

• Conflicted as hell. Being here, your announcement that you're with Jaina, the crystal from the safe, it's doing a number on his head. He doesn't want feelings for anyone, and yet – with you moving on – he can't help but wonder: why hasn't he?

You pull up to Por'parets' place in a huff. It's a little past midnight. A light is still on upstairs.

What do you do?
  • I'm heading to the door, stuff in my pouch, "Miss Por'Parets! Come down here, please!" I don't sound desperate, I sound urgent. I want her to get here and get her stuff so we can close this deal.

As we're waiting, I switch to a private comm channel with Jazz, drop into Mandalore dialect, "When we get airborne, I want to speak with you."
  • Jazz has his helmet off now, but he's just as stoic and unapproachable as he always appears on the surface. He looks away from you, like he's bracing for a punch or something, and nods silently. What does it usually mean when you drop into Mandalore, Kelb?

After a brief moment, Por'parets swings the door open and invites you all inside, "What happened?" she asks, "has something gone wrong?"
  • I hand her the goods, "We ran into a couple snags, is all." I pull off my helmet once my hands are free, look her in the eyes, "Nobody was hurt too bad, like you asked. Here's your things. Check them, make sure we got everything. We can't stay."

I drop into Mandalore when I want to talk just to Jazz. It's funny, because I realize just now that Jaina could understand us, too. I'll have to think about that.
  • Por'parets looks around and quickly ushers you inside, "I need to get some credits out of my safe. Please, come in a moment. I won't be long."

Jazz is looking antsy, and Macks approaches you. "Boss... Pem isn't back yet..."
  • I huff a quick, frustrated sigh. We were so close to getting away. "Macks, stay here, you've got the team until I get back. Don't leave planet unless I give the go ahead, stay on the fringe."

I look back to Nill, Tezzik and Uduun, "I'm heading back for Pem, Jazz is with me. Hang tight here unless security comes this way. Macks is in charge."

I slip on my helmet, comm to Squall, "Squall, where was Pem's last ping? He hasn't made it back."
  • Pem's voice comes over the comms — it's a hushed whisper, "wish you guys would stop talking about me like I'm dead or something." Macks perks up, and looks around, only to realize Pem isn't here. Pem continues, "I'm tied down in a search grid... They're boxing me in. You might tip them off if you come in Kelb... It could turn into a firefight. Just go on. I'll slip on the next transport out."
  • Pem is a cocky guy, is he not realizing his own situation trying to sound tough? I want to read him

(Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 1, 4. Total: 6)

(+1 XP)
  • There's a loud bang over the comm, followed by yelling. It's a lot of "Drop the blaster! Down on the ground!" kind of talk... The last thing you hear Pem say is, "damn it... "

Did he surrender, or open fire, Kelb?
  • He surrendered. He once told me he escaped Kesssel Prison. I don't exactly believe him, but he's proven me wrong before.

"Squall, where's Pem?" I call as I take off, knowing Jazz will follow. I'm going to save my teammate.

• edited January 2014
    Squall answers, "Downtown somewhere? I don't have a ping on his locator. Give me as second to pull up his last known position."

== END SCENE ==