[Snowpocalypse] Other Sides of a Coin (R 1.6, S 1.4)

edited January 2014 in Snowpocalypse
To Silica:

You're watching something called "The Today Show" when a red light flashes form the ceiling. Hell, you didn't even know it was there! Hoho looks up suddenly, then rolls slightly over in his beanbag to pull an ancient .45 out from under the rolls of his ass fat. Fronstide Grab Indy has his rifle out of her corner real quick. He says, "Nollie, babe, hide over there," He points to the shower stall. "We got company." He moves to hunker down by the mattresses, aiming at the entryway.

What do you do?

To Ross:

You made it past the four wheelers and the sniper didn't get a shot, but it meant you had to get down that hole fast. Now, you're in a concrete corridor heading towards a larger room that is lit by a blinking red light. The place stinks of sweat and a bit of chemicals, you hear some noise, an inane conversation between a pair of women. They're obnoxious as all fuck.

You know this is dangerous territory, Ross. What's the play? Charge in? Or wait for them to come check you out?

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Silica

I woke, laying over on the mattress with a rough blanket over me. Woke suddenly with a start, having forgotten where I am. Oh yes... why the hell am I still here? I didn't mean to stay... but there's food and the teevee and... I'm ashamed of myself for coming here how I did, and more ashamed for staying.

But before long I'm sitting watching the teevee again, my legs pulled up to my chest with an arm around them. Can't say that I like this show very much and I'm getting bored with it, turning my head to lean on my knee and watch my "father." Whenever I look at him I shudder, remembering the helplessness I felt last night. But it's so easy to get distracted by the food he's giving me, the gifts, the fake fucking kindness...

Maybe I'll stay a while... maybe he won't hurt me any more... I've been wrong before. It's so easy to try and pretend nothing happened.

Then the light and the warning... "what? What do you mean? What's going on?" But he's got that rifle in his hands and I don't argue... I just head for cover, crouching down into the basin of the shower, getting small, my cheek pressed against the clammy and still moist tile wall. It doesn't feel cold.

Silica, you should never have come here... stupid! Fucking stupid.
  • It's obvious by the smell, and the obnoxious conversation down the hall, that men run this place — men that didn't give enough of a fuck to think proper hygiene through. I'm not fucking waiting. If Silica is down here, I doubt it's of her own free will — or at the very least I fucking hope it's not.

I've got my sawed-off out, and I'm heading towards the voices. First person I see's going to be one of three things: my informant, a body-shield, or minced meat — depending on how many guns are out...
  • edited January 2014
    To Ross:

You head down the hall, the voices becoming more distinct. Two women talking about dating after forty. Forty what? You spot fatass, sweaty Hoho as soon as you peek around the corner. You also spot the soft light of the TV, two garishly made up women with big hair and not a care in the pre-Fall world other than finding a man.

Hoho shouts, "We got the drop on you, dude! Throw down the shotty and give it up!"

What do you do?

To Silica:

A figure peeks their head around the corner, someone a head taller than you, maybe. All wrapped up in scarves and shit. Not big at all, but they have a shotgun.

What do you do?
  • Silica

My instinct is to stay down in the corner and stay out, but where's that going to get me? Who is this guy? Someone with a gripe against Hoho? Or Grab? That's not hard to imagine.

Instead I scan the room, I know the one way in, but is there another? Is this guy alone? Fuck, I don't want to be around any more shooting.
  • The drop on me? Throw down my shotty? Yeah... No. I try not to move my head as my eyes scan the room — the reflective coating on my goggles should make it seem like I'm frozen for a second. Considering what to do.
  • OOC: Reading the sitch. Roll+Sharp. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6. Rolls: 5, 5. Total: 10)
  • OOC: Questions...
    • which enemy is most vulnerable to me?
    • which enemy is the biggest threat?
    • who’s in control here? (Chiefly, who is in charge?)
  • edited January 2014
    To Ross:

Hoho is most vulnerable, no doubt. He's in range and knows it, which is why he's trying to get you to back off. It's an old trick, he's the lure.

The biggest threat is the one you caught hiding by the mattresses. You caught the glint off a scope, and even though he isn't sighting down it, at this range, Frontside Indy Grab is by far the biggest threat.

But the one in control, and you can tell from how they're positioned to protect her, is your sister, hiding back my the mop sink shower, watching curiously with those wide, blue eyes.

What do you do?
  • ... What the fuck did Silica do now?

I swing my sawed-off over to Frontside Indy Grab, and I put a shell in his chest. I'm not sure he could really get a solid shot off with that clunky rifle of his, but I don't want to take a chance. I'll circle around for fatass afterwards.
  • Silica

I scream and cover my head as the shotgun fires, suddenly pushing myself further into the corner on the slippery tile. Did he... what happened.... is someone shot?
  • edited January 2014
    To Ross:

It sounds like you're trying to "Seize" your sister By Force. Let's see some dice.
  • OOC: Seizing Silica by force. Roll+Hard.
    (Rolled: 2d6+4. Rolls: 5, 5. Total: 14)
  • edited January 2014
    OOC: Woof...
    • Take definite hold of it.
    • Suffer little harm.
    • Impress/dismay/frighten your enemy.

So I'll admit this probably isn't my finest work — I came in here expecting to find my sister hand-cuffed to a sink or something. This complicates things, but it doesn't change it much. I'm moving to keep myself from getting hurt, and letting the blood spray onto my white coat for effect.

I came for my sister, and I'm sure as hell going to leave with her.
  • edited January 2014
    To Ross:

You pop off a shot at Frontie, and you know you tagged him. Hell, the buckshot tore all the mattresses to shreds, he couldn't have been wearing body armor, he's probably fucked. He got a shot at you, too, though, before he stayed the fuck down and rode the rest of this out.

Chuck-chuck goes the pump action of your shotty as you reload, moving sideways, not giving Hoho a good target.

He fires a couple quick shots, like BAM BAM, no aiming, shaky hands, missing you twice. You turn and blow a big hole in his big belly and he falls back like a mule kicked him. He's dead before he hits the ground.

Oh and by the way, the TV blew up.

Then you're right there, right in front of Silica. She's not tied up, not chained up, just hiding. Well, not hiding effectively, but really, that's not possible in this place.

What do you do?

To Silica:

That guy just rushed in, killed Hoho for sure, Grab most likely, and most def killed teevee.

What do you do?
  • Silica

I see blood. Feel the concussion of the shotgun... "The fuck?!!" I scream.... the guy blows away Hoho like it's nothing and then cones for me. There's no way out but I throw whatever shit I can get my hands on at him, screaming, I'm going to run... have to run...

Interfering
    (Rolled: 2d6. Rolls: 6, 5. Total: 11)
  • edited January 2014
    To Silica:

What two things did you hit this guy with from the shower area?
  • Ross,

Oh hey, you took 0-Harm (3 damage from a sniper rifle - suffer little + 2 Armor).
    Rolling Harm-0 with Juggernaut:
    (Rolled: 2d6-2. Rolls: 1, 5. Total: 4)
  • The trouble basically done, I crack the shotgun and reload it, then close it up and sling it over my shoulder. I can't take the chance one of these assholes survive this, so in the lowest voice I can muster up, I whisper, "let's go."
  • To Rossi:

Does Silica recognize your voice? Does she know it's you?
  • I hope not... Not yet at least.
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

There's an old pail sitting there with a couple old brushes in it, and a little metal rack has some bars of soap and a metal scraper of some sort. I throw them at him, getting my feet under me, but there's nowhere to go....

Panic tears at my chest... I haven't seen men die like that very much. I've shot my pistol a couple times at shapes in the dark, I think i may have hit a guy once but i didn't see...

And this guy looms over me. I don't have good footing, my shoes slip on the wet tile.

He speaks... oh no...

I rise, sliding to my feet with my back to the wall. I have no choice, again.

Again I can't find words, I cover my face with a hand, half expecting him to kill me. I just nod, yes... I'll do what he says.
  • Good. At least she's listening... I point out and up towards the latter. "Run for the far side of the wall when you hit the surface," I whisper as we approach it, "and don't fucking stop until I tell you it's safe."
  • Silica

I stand there, back to the wall. He's not going to kill me, not now... ok... ok calm down.

It's hard to think, moments ago I was sitting there just... just watching the show and now. I glance past him to the blood spattered across the old sofa, the broken pieces of the teevee. Hoho fell dead out of sight, at least I don't have to see, but Grab is laying there where he died.... that sick fucker who...

I swallow, hard, and trembling, I slowly inch around this guy, sliding along the wall. I don't look right at him, like he's a dog that may bite, but watch his feet. If he shifts his weight I know I need to move.

Slowly I walk past Grab's body.... I speed up a little as I pass, not wanting to see.

And head for the door.
  • I wait for my sister to pass, then follow her down the hall. The sooner we're out of here, the better. I've got my gun out and at the ready in case there's trouble.
  • Both:

How are you going to play this? Head up and out like before? Waiting for some Carnation patrol? Or waiting for dark, which is hours away?
  • ... Waiting for a Carnation patrol is a stupid idea, and waiting until Dark probably isn't for the best either. I walk over to Grab's body, and make sure he's dead... That scoped rifle of his is a better approach.
  • To Ross:

Yeah, he's dead now. He hung on for a little bit, but gave up the ghost. His rifle is sniper rifle (3-harm far hi-tech). Wooden stock, bolt action, slick as silk, well taken care of. If you want to rifle through his shit, you can get his cleaning supplies for it, even an extra lens for the scope.

Then what?
  • Silica

He stops to take the rifle, and even go through Grab's pack for some of his shit. I stand here near the broken door, tempted to just run for it, trying to stop my hands from shaking. I gotta be faster than this guy, especially if I can...

No, no if he was gonna kill he'd of done it right? He took out the others without a thought, the smell of blood is getting in my head... I'll lose him once we're outside. He said to run to the wall right? But fuck, he's gonna have the rifle... that rifle.

He's crouched there, checking the action of the bolt and I just softly say, testing almost, "I ain't worth nothin, ok? Whatever you're gonna do with me just... just..." this doesn't make any sense... who the fuck are you?
  • I look up from the rifle, and if I wasn't masked, Silica'd be able to see the confusion on my face... I look over to fatass over on the other side of the room, then patiently back to my sister. I consider telling her everything's going to be alright, but what fucking good would that do?

"There's a sniper out there," I whisper back, still in that low growl, "you're walking with a bit of a limp. If you let me up there first, I'll draw his fire, and you can do whatever the fuck you want."
  • Silica

I'm finally looking at him. He's done a good job covering up, good cold weather gear, too. Not someone I know.

"Yeah, ok... whatever you say... I'm not going to argue with this fucker. Don't know why anyone would be helping me, must be a grudge against these guys... that makes sense. He just thinks I'm some girl and he's covering me. Yeah... something like that.

I wait for him to finish with the rifle, and stand by the door.
  • Alright you two.

Just so you know, that red alarm was turned on. It wasn't triggered by the sewer cover opening. That means someone flipped that switch. Probably the sniper. Who is probably waiting for you to come out.

Probably.
  • Then I guess I've gotta get him first... I'm gunna climb up the ladder, and slowly lift that manhole cover until I can get that gun's barrel and scope out. If I'm lucky, and he hasn't moved too much, maybe I can spot him first and take him out.
  • Let's see you Act Under Fire then.
  • OOC: Acting under fire... Roll+Cool. +1XP.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 1, 3. Total: 5)
  • To Ross:

Evidently that is Frontside Rodeo out there, Ross. Because he just shot, and slagged, your nice new rifle. You were trying to sight him in, searching where you saw him before. Then BLAM. Your nice new toy is broken.

And he's still out there.

Silica, you saw that. What have you heard about Grab's younger cousin?
  • Shit...

I lower the manhole cover again, and climb back down. "Looks like we're waiting until nightfall..."
  • edited January 2014
    Silica

This guy is taking his time, expecting trouble... then like the fuckin' gun blows up in his hands and that freaks the shit out of me. I retreat from the ladder a bit, there must be another way out... this can't be happening.

"What the fuck, man?" I kind of shout, as he deals with the busted weapon, hanging up there on the ladder. I need to learn to stay fucking quiet.... he could just as easily kill me... or use me as a fucking distraction for that sniper.... shit.

Grab's younger cousin? He mentioned something about him last night, that his cousin was supposed to be working on some kind of big deal with some gang or other in the tunnels. Seemed proud of him, like he wanted to brag about it.
  • Ross and Silica, please go here.