[SWAW] Long-term relationships [S5 Kelb]

edited January 2014 in SWAW
You find Jaina in the bridge, working alone at astrometrics, plotting a course for the next job. She seems blissfully happy in her own way, going though the motions of preparing the ship for The jump to lightspeed. When she spots you in the doorway, she smiles and wraps up her work before standing to give you a hug. "I'm glad you made it back in one piece," she whispers in a sultry voice, "Everyone's alright?"

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I spent the time at the door just enjoying the moment watching her. My girl, Jaina. My girl who is making long-term plans for me.

I have this edge from the combat that still has me a little keyed up, but it's soured by the sense of dread in the realization that she wants a real commitment. I mean, sharing a bunk, that's good fun. Sex and pillow talk, also supreme. But... what is a long-term commitment anyway? Buying a slot on some space station, or heavens forbid, a plot of land on some dustball? Ugh, no. Do not want.

She hugs me, its nice. She's soft in the right places, smells like a hint of the perfume I picked up for her at that little shop on Naboo, and a little like grease and lubricant from working on the ship. Mmmn, lubricant.

Focus, Kelborn!

"Glad I made it back, too." I answer after the hug. I lower my hands to rest on the small of her back lightly, holding her close. "The whole team is five by five, thanks in no small part to you, Jay."

Maybe we don't need to have "the talk" right now? Maybe after a romp in the hay? No, no, no, that would make it worse.

"Jay, I was chatting with Squall just now." I say it like I'm just catching up. "You two seem to be close. She's pretty zeng, right? You trust her?" I don't even know where I'm going with this. Ugh, I suck at talking about my feelings. Just shoot me now. I wonder if I look queasy.
  • Jaina smiles when you compliment her, and she shrugs indifferently, "just doing my part." She picks up that something's wrong though, and she gives you a bit of space to breathe, "Squall? I'd say she's pretty trustworthy, yeah. Really keen, if a bit absent-minded of late. " She cocks her head and asks, "why?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    "Hey, it's no biggie, just something to chat about." I realize this is her space, the cockpit, or bridge, or whatever. "Can you come back with me to the room, so we can talk in private maybe?" If she's amenable, I'll lead her back to her quarters.
  • She is amenable. She's not on the defensive or anything — not yet anyway — just looking to make you feel comfortable. When you get back to the quarters, she locks up behind her. "What's up, Kelb? You seem on edge..." She walks over to you and slips her arms around your neck.
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I sort of move away from her. I feel guilty and nervous and my stomach is doing flip flops. I think about sitting on the bed, but then, that could end up distracting me. "Listen. I really messed up with Tott. I shouldn't have made a move on him right in front of you, and I hurt you. I never apologized for that." I look up at her, because I was apologizing to the deck. Gutless me. "I am sorry I hurt you, Jay. It disrespected you, not to just, you know, break up with you. To jump his bones when we had something going. I was wrong."

There, said it. Not going further until we get that out of the way.
  • Do you really mean that, Kelb? Are you truly sorry for what you did?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I am truly sorry for hurting her. I'm truly sorry for the tactic I used, and not respecting her. I mean that. It took Squall putting it in my face for me to own up to it.
  • Jaina nods, and whispers, "I forgive you — I forgave you already, I think, but it bears repeating." She keeps her distance though, as it seems like you have more to say.
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    "You shouldn't have." I tell her plainly. "You aren't a doormat, Jaina! Why did you just do that? It was weak. We're Mandalorian!"
  • She looks confused, "are you telling me I'm not capable of deciding who I trust, because we're Mando'ade?"
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    "You shouldn't have just taken me back after I did that. You know I slept with him, right? I need you to know that."

I haven't raised my voice, but it has that intensity to it. I start pacing, "I'm a horrible person, and you just let me walk back in here, take over your place, take over your life... and you-you're talking about our future together? Jay, I'm not a "future" kind of girl. I shoot people. I break things, and I make enemies. You-you're a builder, a planner, you make things better."

Why is she here? Why are we together even? Finally, I say softer, with finality, "This is a bad idea."
  • Jaina is silent, her lips pursed into a tight line. She watches you pace, and doesn't talk for a minute as you start doing your thing tearing things down — tearing down the things she's been building for you two, for whatever that's worth. Once you're done, she starts thinking about a response — and not a moment sooner.

Do you really believe that Kelb? That you and Jaina are bad for each other?
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    No! She's great for me, I'm HORRIBLE for her. I am sticking around until she's safe, but then I needs to go. I can't do this. I drug Jazz down with me, I can't take her, too.
  • Well, it sounds like you want her to believe that... She's staring you down, waiting for some chink in the armor to know you don't really mean that. If you want to deliver that message home, Act Under Fire for me, will you?
  • Acting Under Fire from girlfriend:
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 3, 3. Total: 8)

(+1 XP)
  • Jaina's pursed lips slip down into a frown, and she crosses her arms defensively. She licks her lips, and swallows hard to cut the deafening silence in the room... Then she looks you square in the eyes, and whimpers, "get out then. If you really believe that, then climb up that ladder and never come back."
  • edited October 2014
    Kelborn-header
    I blink hard, then my vision blurs a little. Am I crying? Stupid Kelborn! Stupid! Crying when you got what you wanted?

Then, I turn and walk out, head to my practice room. I don't know where I'll sleep, or I... I don't care. I'm up the ladder and speed walking down the hall. Stars I hope nobody sees me. I'll leave a detail of the team here, to keep her safe. I don't give a poodoo what she says. I just need to get away from her. Maybe I can head back to Kestic, then she'll pick me up for missions, or maybe I use her and the crew for some missions and never come back to the Hawk while I do security. Or wetwork. I might as well, you know? I might as well. It pays great.

I'm going to crawl into that hammock, curl up and die now. I haven't even taken off all my armor. Stupid armor.
  • You're pretty sure you heard some crashing and screaming down the hall as you walked away... Squall wasn't in the training room when you returned. You can hear your team down the hall in the lounge, chatting with Pem as he tells his story — but you're heading for an empty bunk.

The details of what's going to happen can probably wait, I'd imagine, until you've collected yourself.

== END SCENE ==