[Snowpocalypse] Blood Ties (H 1.5)

edited January 2014 in Snowpocalypse
Hadden,

It's afternoon and you're in Underlake Market. Handplant headed back to see what's what with Grease Park. She left K2 with you. What item in the market has caught your eye just now?

Also, you see a couple members of your beloved family are heading your way. Who is it? Why are you tempted to avoid them, even though they'll probably see you?

Oh and by the way, you're hearing Oakley is in some trouble. Word in the market is that he got in a fight with Nosegrab.

What do you do?

Comments

• edited January 2014
    From Hadden,

Underlake Market always feels like coming home. My earliest memories are here. Bad ones, good ones. It's a pretty huge space carved or melted out of lake ice, semiperm stalls or yurts or igloos centered off the edge of the cruise ship, the Odysseyii. A little before Rolfball's stall is that little old lady Orage who sometimes sells pre-Freeze stuff. There's a brilliant blue blue that stands out, reminds me of something, it's a postcard of the ship in the beforetimes. If I turn my head and squint, I can almost see the ship that I grew up in.

I'll ask Orage, "I might could swap you something for that. Whadd'llya take?" After she answers, I'll make obviouslike I'm considering it and ask her to set it aside for the day, maybe I'll get it later on but I don't expect to be here tomorrow.

I feel a breeze from one of the ventilation holes, another familiar sensation, this one tied to a certain happier time with a certain happier girl. But when I turn my face, I spot one of my uncles, Merrell, coming out of the ship with some of his treasure hunters, hauling some shit. Right behind him are my mom and his second wife, Tindy, in animated conversation.

Merrell:

Tindy:

My mom:

Fuckballs, I think as I watch the guy who probably killed my dad and took my mom handing out some candy or something to the beggar kids.
  • To Hadden:

You're standing there, looking and what? Not trying to look at them? K2 sidles up and asks, "That's your mom, right? You gonna say hi? Or should we sneak off?" She's slid her hand into yours. You know, in case you wanna run off or something.
  • Hadden:

I squeeze her hand. She looks up to me, and there's that line about what is right and what is easy. "We're gonna say hi. I'll introduce you. But watch your ass and don't fuck with Merrell." I cut her off from saying something teenagery rebelly. "Seriously, the prick is bad news. Don't listen to what he says and stick with me." We start walking and I wish I had extra eyes.
  • [OOC: Read a sitch, Roll+Sharp, marking XP]
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 6, 3. Total: 10)
  • [OOC: First question: What should I be on the lookout for?]
  • To Hadden:

Your mom sees you when you chat with K2, and she waves, pulls Tindy's arm and they start walking over. She exclaims, "Haddy! When did you get in? Where have you been?!?!" She throws arms wide for a hug.

Tindy is a bit cautious. When was the last time you fucked her, by the way. Does Merrell even know? Merrell, he's pretending to chat with his hangers-on, like he doesn't see this joyful reunion.

What do you do?

You should be on the lookout for Merrell, just like you suspect. He knows you are leery of him and wants you to go away. Permanently.

Also... you think K2 might be interested in your personal services... is that a thing to be on the lookout for?
  • [OOC: Second question: What's my enemies' true position?]
  • Merrell's true position is right there. But you realize the treasure hunters, especially the tall, beefy one, his name's Arbor (like a big Pre-Freeze tree). He's a dangerous customer. What are the rumors about him you've heard?
  • [OOC: Last question: Which enemy is most vulnerable to me?]
  • Oddly enough, Arbor. He's just in it for the jingle, that much you know. You could snake him out from under Merrell for the right bribe.
  • edited January 2014
    From Hadden:

"Hey, Mimsy." I accept the hug, I really have missed her, and the hug is warm and reassuring even though I'm ready for a dagger in my back. "My crew got in late last night and yes, I promised them fresh dinner. I've been doing my thing, staying busy, fed, and warm and keeping out of trouble. Ish. How are things by you? Is everyone okay from the explosion?" And of course, I am meaning family. Weird to think like Molotov's voice. I am on edge. And I know where my pistol is, still in my jacket holster. I'm trying to make sure none of Merrell's gang are moving to move behind me.

"This is K2, Handplant's daughter. I'm showing her the ropes." Soon as the words are out of my mouth I realize that she's rolling her eyes and giggling, maybe protesting a little too much. I pretend to kick her ankle. But yeah, I would not kick K2 out of bed for eating crackers. Handplant wouldn't be pissed unless I took advantage or hurt her, I think. She's looking forward to grandmothering, too, just maybe not yet. Can I tell if she's twitterpated or just interested?

Mmm, that Tindy. She'll do just about anything on XMDMA, and I was happy to supply both. It's been a couple months. "Hey, Mom2, It's good to see you," warmly. Merrell doesn't know. We were always careful. I'm pretty sure he doesn't know. He'd kill her first. So yeah, he don't know. Can I tell if she missed me?

I'm tense, just waiting for Merrell to head over and start some shit. I can't let him get his hands on K2, in any fashion. I see Arbor, lifting some fucking boiler or something like it's nothing. He's got some kind of ritual scars on his arms- they say from everyone he's killed. I also heard that he loves the hi tech, goes whackadoo for the pre-Freeze stuff, trying to join the Preservers maybe. Hmmm.

I'm going to let Merrell come to me. Fuck that guy.
  • To Hadden:

It feels like Merrell's crew won't hurt you in the open, or in front of the wives. Still, its good to stay alert. Your mother replies, "We're all safe. It was a shock, woken up like that, but we endure, as always. You're looking nice." She smiles to K2, "Doesn't he look nice?"

"Uhm, yeah! He's choice." K2 says with a impish grin. She's into you. Not love, but lust with benefits, maybe? And yeah, fucking mom's boss is probably part of the equation. Not that you've "read her", but that's the vibe.

Tindy is all neutral, barely hug. Stilted, like this is not a thing. But her eyes dance when you pull back. She has a secret smile for you. You just know it.

"You are coming to dinner, yes, Haddy?" Your mother says and she slips an arm into yours, trying to coax you away from the market.

Merrell is standing by her, much taller, looking at you impassively. "The boy has work. Let him go on."

What do you do?
  • From Hadden:

My wordplay back to the girls dies when Merrell speaks. I know this man wants me dead, you can see it in the set of his stance, the way his crew are stacking boxes a little too casually. Is he afraid of me? I don't move when he approaches, holding onto my mom and K2 so they don't get sucked in. Like a snake, the fucker will try to bite in between blinks. Let him think he's right. But wait, he thinks I have work. I wonder what he's heard in the last few months?

[OOC, rolling for Reputation.]
  • [OOC, Reputation, roll+cool]
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 4. Total: 11)
  • Hadden:

Merrell has heard the story of the faint scar on the side of my face, the one I got from Never Summer. You can't normally see Never Summer's scar from that fight.

He's also heard I'm the fucking man when it comes to knowing people and getting shit done. He has to admit to himself that I can help him move the latest haul from the cruise ship.

I'm not the same man I was when he took his position.
  • To Hadden:

Your mother tut-tuts her husband-your uncle, "Haddy isn't too busy for me. I have a wonderful piece of jewelry I think K2 will find nice, won't you, doll? You're coming, right, Haddy?" She smiles a toothy smile and adds, "I just so happen to be cooking your favorite!" What is your favorite food, Hadden?

Merrell doesn't object anymore. You catch him flicking glances to his bully boys, like he's calling them off.

K2 squeezes your hand again, pulls it down so you brush her outer thigh, "We're so going, Momma Hadden. I love earrings!"
  • edited January 2014
    From Hadden:

My smile is small, definite, wolfish, watching Merrell back down. I quietly let out a breath I've been holding, relax my stance, blink, but I'm still riding the adrenaline. "We're definitely coming to dinner. Might stay the night, too, if we're not imposing on the household." Something she said sinks past my stress and hits me right in the little kid, and my head turns sharply to my mom, eyes a little wide. "Are you actually making your fresh bear stew? With the bread and everything? No shit?" And a tiny part of my brain whispers, coincidence?

My hand smoothly follows K2's lead, and I snake it low around her waist, spreading my fingers at her hip. I feel a tiny tensing in her lower back- I don't think she was seriously expecting it. "We do have an errand or three to take care of first, and I would be a poor guest to show up empty-handed. I was definitely raised better than that." It's nice to see mom smile at the old joke, but I catch a hint of something at the corner of her eyes. All is not as rosy as she's putting on and I really hope that fucker's not doing something dark.

I'm not bullshitting, I do need to get some fucking hi tech thinger for to catch the attention of the mighty Lemma. I want that postcard for myself, and I really oughta bring a gift to show respect. I don't mind keeping K2 with me for a couple reasons, not just to keep her away from him.

We make our goodbyes, and I get another great hug from my mom. When I offer a kiss on Tindy's cheek, I whisper low in her ear, not moving my lips, "Soon."

"See you at dinner, Merrell." I say, like I'm not going to ruin him.
  • To Hadden:

Momma Hadden, Tindy, Merrell and Merrell's crew head on, leaving you and K2. The market has some music piping in now, what is it?

That postcard you spied before, the one Orage had. It's gone.

What do you do?
  • From Hadden:

The music is piping in from one of the performance spaces. It's something jazzy I don't recognize, but it sounds like maybe Jester's band, whadayacall them this week, I hear Zubbo on his steel drum, banging like a motherfucker.

Damn, I really liked that postcard. I ask Orage what she took for it. Maybe she has something I can gift to my mom.

"Business 'fore pleasure this time, K2. What would you dangle in front of Lemma?" And I'm really asking her, like a teachable moment. Handplant trusts me with her daughter, this in all things is part of it. I'll keep my hand on her hip and a lookout for Merrell's boys, just in case.

I start asking at stalls and tents and spread blankets for something hi tech or curious.
  • [OOC: I make known that I want a thing and drop jingle to speed it on its way, roll+barter spent. Spending 1-barter.
    (Rolled: 2d6+1. Rolls: 1, 6. Total: 8)
  • To Hadden:

Orage blinks, confused about what she got for the postcard. She tells you she didn't get anything for it, and starts looking around. It's nowhere to be found.

After you leave the stall and ask K2 what she'd get for Lemma, she holds up a finger, like "wait a moment" and pulls out that postcard, which she'd hidden in her top at some point. "I think you wanted this for yourself, right?" She's got a self-satisifed smirk on her face when she hands it to you.

What happens to thieves in Underlake Market, Hadden?
  • Hadden:

Oh, fuckballs.

"Fuckballs, K2!" I stop short, hissing the next as a whisper. "Do you want to spend the night in the stocks, or lose a finger? A hand?" I'm no-shit serious. This is mag mag bad bad if it goes down wrong. She's on the hook for at least a barter of bribe to Orage, and you never can buy silence, only rent it.

"Never shit where you eat, K2. We gotta get to Orage before she reports a thief to the watch." Which is probably Merrell's boys these days.

FUCKBALLS.
  • To Hadden:

K2's brows knit in confusion, "It's only if they catch us. C'mon, it isn't a barter worth anyhow. I'll stick it back down my shirt. Shit, man. Don't be a pussy." She reaches to take it back from you.
  • edited January 2014
    Hadden:

"Use your brain, I know you got one! I was asking about this, its pre-Freeze, and the prick who runs the militia is a murdering wolf who WE ARE HAVING DINNER WITH in two hours." I grab her wrist. "I am not going to let that brick asshole have you raped and shipped off as a slave for... for showing off!" I've got her pulled close, I'm intense, spooked and pissed and got my color up. She's never seen this side of me.

"All I wanted was us to shop and maybe us get lucky before dinner. But now we're on the brink of a world of shit. It's your ass on account of my name."
  • To Hadden:

That gets her attention. She blinks, startled, for a moment, afraid of you. She recovers herself, at least acts like it, and tries to wrench her hand free, "Fucking fine! I'll take the damn thing back! Just let me go, and your ass will be scott fucking free!"

What do you do?
  • From Hadden:

Much calmer: "My ass is always, always, always on the line when I come here. I'm worried about your cute little ass, K2. I don't want to lose you here." I loosen my grip on her, but I'm still holding her.
  • To Hadden:

Well, the compliment calms her. She doesn't try to pull away anymore. Her tone drops a little, she pleads, "I snuck it out. I can just drop it near her stall. Old bitty will think she dropped it."
  • From Hadden:

"I'm coming with, just in case. I'll hang back so's I don't crimp your style." Don't she realize he'd try to hurt her to get me?
  • To Hadden:

She nods, smiles a bit, since you've got her back. The pair of you, heading back into Market, intent on returning the postcard. You're right, Merrell's treasure hunters are moving around, asking questions, things are happening.

Why don't you give me an Act Under Fire to sneak that thing back?
  • [OOC, roll+cool]
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 1, 1. Total: 4)
  • To Hadden:

K2 gets right up to Orage's little stall, and she waits for a moment when a couple is looking at some photos with Orage, her attention focused elsewhere. She starts to make her move, reaching into her top for the postcard. You spot Merrell over chatting with one of Thirty Two's pretty daughters. It feels like the perfect time.

With quick little fingers, K2 fishes out the postcard, and starts to drop it, just outside the stall. Just like you planned. But as soon as she has it out, Arbor pushes past you to grab her hand. "Orage! Caught your damn thief!" K2 looks back i surprise.

If this guy squeezes hard or jerks, he's strong enough to really hurt K2 There's no way she can just run off. You could go, though. Just slip out, if you want. She wouldn't give you up.

What do you do?
  • From Hadden:

I'm no saint. I think about running. But the thought ain't even full in my brain before Fuck that noise. This is on me. I slip closer to Arbor, fast. I talk low, getting all the words out in one breath."One jingle, all for you, right now, you drop this. She gets out of this shit scottfree and I'll introduce you on good terms to anyone I know." Stalefish, maybe? The Preservers? I don't look desperate, just I'm not fucking around here.
  • To Hadden:

Arbor narrows his eyes, just for a moment, like he's making sure of this. Does he trust you? He knows your rep. Everyone here does.

He lets go of K2, bends down to pick up the postcard, and holds it up, "Your thief, Orage! The floor! haw haw, you stupid old bitty!" He rumbles with laughter, and hands her the postcard. She looks at K2, maybe she caught some of this exchange? But what's she gonna do?

Orage looks to you, Hadden, and her eyes widen a bit. A thought rolls around in her head, and she arches a brow, then takes the postcard and says, "Well, thank you, Arbor." She turns to you, Hadden, "Did you still want to buy it?"

What do you do?
  • edited February 2014
    From Hadden:

I actually do want this. It calls to me. "I do, Orage. What'llya take?" Casual friendly. Not looking at Arbor or K2 just yet, just the crisp blue blue and the sharp white white of the picture.
  • To Hadden:

Orage squares up on you, her dark brown eyes watching for you reaction when she asks, "Get me some choice fish from Squirrel, and its yours. The bastard's been giving me day-olds and the like. I want some trout."
  • edited February 2014
    From Hadden:

"Consider it done, even if I have to mine it myself." I flourish and kiss her hand. I'm a gentleman of my word.
  • To Hadden:

Orage looks away, sort of embarrassed by your show of affection / gentlemanly display.

That done, K2 sidles up to you, standing close, smiling wide, "I owe you, big time, Hadden." She kisses your cheek, just a peck. "I found a few techie items earlier. Maybe I pick up the one you like most and then we go get lucky?"
  • From Hadden:

"Yes indeed." I give her a look, full of want. I wonder how long she's wanted this? Today's been a little more yak-shaving than usual and it's not yet supper. No place like home.

I slip Arbor an oddment, and give him a dude-nod of agreement. Out of earshot of Orage, I'll sidelong mention, "Get with me later about the other thing? Unless you got an idea already?"
  • To Hadden:

K2 leads you to an out-of-the-way stall, a new guy is manning it, showing off some pre-Freeze tech. If the guy would bother to clean them, he'd have sold it already, but covered in grime and ice, it's hard to tell what's what. K2 points out a rangefinder, a compass and a set of headphones. Which one do you pick up? They're all one barter. K2 insists on paying.

Where do you take K2?
  • From Hadden:

This choice matters- I need to grease Lemma to boost the sky-kites back at the flats, seems like weeks ago. I figure a compass ain't nothing exotic, headphones are kinda not exactly uncommon, but a rangefinder seems like just the thing to capture the whim-attention-favor of a Savvyhead what needs capturing. I pick it up and look at all three a bit, just browsing, then I point to the rangefindger and nod at K2 and the new guy. After she buys it, I'll ask to find out when he's next gonna be back with new shiny.

I take Squirrel up on his offer of "something special" for some quality private time. I gotta get that trout anyways. I totally arm round her waist for the walk. I'll carry the rangefinder, weird little heavy thing.
  • To Hadden:

K2's practically skipping when you put an arm around her. She's not heavy into public displays of affection, so she isn't kissing you or anything, but walking close like this, she keeps looking up at you, laughing at your jokes, smiling the whole time. She has a nice smile. She's titslly into this.

Squirrel, who is by himself working, listening to some more AC/DC
    Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap:

He gives you a key to the "nice room", which is the room he uses for travelling merchants and important folks. You've stayed here a few times, right? What makes it nicer than most places in Underlake?

What do you do once you get into the room?
  • From Hadden:

The nice room is a dull red converted shipping container, decently insulated with rugs and such on the walls, close enough to the surface for a first-tier air vent. There's a bigass comfy mattress, a table and a few chairs. One of Squirrel's exes must've decorated, there's a funky uglycool yellow lamp and such little touches. You can almost pretend it's a house. The insulation makes it quiet, perfect for privacy.

I drop my stuff, making sure the postcard is secure in my go-bag, hit some tunes- it's the full Master of Puppets album in the little radio. I take K2's face in my hands and kiss her deeply to make her toes curl. "Shall we work up an appetite before dinner?" I grin wickedly.
  • edited February 2014
    To Hadden:

(background music:)

K2 closes her eyes when you move forward to kiss her. She spends a moment flexing her hands, like she's not sure what to do with them. Her kisses are hesitant and she mostly follows your lead. She's obviously into it, just inexperienced.

When you pull back, she hangs there for a moment, almost like she was suspended in mid-air by the kissing. Her mouth is a bit agape until she opens her eyes, and then she flashes that brilliant little smile.

"Hadden... I'm so happy we're doing this!" She says before she runs over to jump onto the bed.

What do you do?
  • From Hadden:

I'm watching her move that lithe little body all over the bed, and it's sweet like strawberries. This room is warmed enough that it's downright easy to take off your clothes. I doff my coat, pulling my sweater and shirts ofg into messy pile, watching her watch me. I've got some nice ink on my arms and shoulders, leaving my chest free. Still saving up ideas for that.

"I'm happy too, K2," Smiling at the words. Then I say, and it's casual, not judging, just one friend asking another a fact, "Have you done this in a real bed before?" Am I her first? I'm undoing my bootlaces, my belt.
  • To Hadden:

She watches you disrobe as if transfixed, eyes wide, drinking you in. She's lying her back, so distracted by watching you that she's still completely clothed.

You ask if she's done this in a real bed before and she swallows, shakes her head no, "No. Never, uhm, in a real bed." She offers a nervous smile and waits.
  • From Hadden:

I move to her, deliberately. Enjoying the attention. I kiss my way up her arms from the fingertips, smelling her, paying attention to her collarbone, het throat, her neck.

"Ever?" A whisper. My mouth on her ear.
  • To Hadden:

K2 seems frozen to the spot, not moving more than writhing lightly under your caress. She lets out little panting breaths and keeps her hands at her sides, sort of unsure what to do with them

In answer to your question, she has a moment of trepidation, then she shakes her head, "Uhm, no. Not really... messing around and, uhm, stuff."
  • From Hadden:

Oh, you dear girl...

I take her hand and put it on my chest. "Then I thank you for this." I kiss her lips, softly. I slip my fingers under her shirt, moving along her belly, aware of her warmth and her fluttering heart.

"Let's 'and stuff,' K2." I help her out of her clothes, hungry.
  • To Hadden:

She delights in touching your chest, like you gave her permission and a direction. Her short nails scratch lightly and she traces your ink. When you slip hands under her shirt, she reaches down to remove it, sitting up enough to slip it up over her head.

K2's chest is flushed with arousal, her eyes wide and willing. "Okay. Any stuff you want, Hadden." Her voice is soft, afraid to break the spell.

If you wish, go ahead and fire your Sex Move, Hadden.

How was it for you? She wasn't technically a virgin, you found out. But damn close. And now, she's most definitely not one, right? You devil.

How do you think Handplant will take this?

Afterwards, do you let her lie on your chest and just enjoy the afterglow, or do you need to get moving on?
  • edited February 2014
    [OOC: firing sex move on K2]

You know, it was pretty hot. She's good at some messing around indeed, no lie. And she was hella enthusiastic. I think she's wanted me for a while, which makes good for the ego. I've known her for ages, and she's quite titslly easy on the eyes.

I kinda know how Handplant will take this, sort of. Some time ago, she let on that K2 might be twitterpated in the Hadden department. She loves her little girl, but is no fool to how the world works. It's not the fucking exactly, but fucking with or fucking up. Modestly, Handplant might even be pleased I was K2's first real fuck, instead of some random dingleberry asshat. She won't be pissed, I know. But I somehow doubt she'll be delighted. But Handplant is good people. I kiss K2 on the head, who's still a little dazed, with dilated pupils when she looks up at me. I really don't know how to tell Handplant about the thieving, what might be of more import to a mom... I'm lost in thought for a bit, playing with shifting relationships. What am I gonna do about Silica? They're friends, probably already gonna compare notes. I pull my thoughts back to the herenow.

We both enjoy the afterglow. And act two. But we have a dinner date possibly full of cave-ins and collapses, so we get cleaned up (lukewarm shower, act three), get our shit together, and get on our way.
  • To Hadden:

Well, actually, K2 sort of begs off act three. She's evasive, but you have the feeling that she's a little, worn? Stretched? I mean, not like you carry around lube, right? Or do you? Either way, she's tickled to spend time with you chatting about whatever To Do list makes you happen.

When you get on your way, please go here.