[Snowpocalypse] Skeg Search (S 2.3)

edited February 2014 in Snowpocalypse
Silica,

Now you'd been thinking about looking for the Skegs, but is it really that general of a thing? Were you looking for any one in particular?

I mean, really.

So sure, you head up to the surface, it's pretty late at night now. The C's are probably still looking for whoever ganked their gennie, but you're blocks away. Where is it that you know you can find some Skegs?

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Silica

You know I'm looking for Wonky, right? But I realize I don't know where he lives... I mean... I know where we stayed, but that's not his place so I gotta assume he hangs with the gang, right?

But the skegs... yeah I guess that old bar set up off the pier. Monarchs. Don't like the place but I'm lookin' for someone and that's my best guess. I've spent a few nights there, unknown to the owner, just a stopping point on the way across the ice.

Monarchs looks something like this:
    Class
  • To Silica:

You count six Skegs' rides outside Monarchs. One of them is Wonky's beat up jalopy.

As you know, Monarch's is a family business. The current owner and proprietor is Monarch Eye-Vee, he's the fourth in the line of Monarchs since the Big Freeze. Monarch Eye-Vee recently took over when his dad retired from the bidness. He loves loves loves the color red. He's painted all the walls red. He has a red beard.

Here he is:

Since you know the rides of the Skegs, you would expect to see Bitpop here:

He's doing shots with Micro, who gives you a nod when you come in.

Sitting in a corner, chilling with a couple Underlake folk, is Hardbag. He ignores you, like normal:

Sitting at one of the "good tables" playing cards with a couple merchant's kids, are Sambass and Gabber.

Wonky's sitting with Monarch, they were chatting. They both see you come in. Wonky gives you a little smile, but then he sort of turns away. Guess things are back to normal with him, hunh?

What do you do?
  • edited February 2014
    Silica

It's a long walk out to the Pier and to Monarch's so I have time to calm down and settle my mind a little bit. Not sure why I'm going so far out of my way just to see Wonky again, but I just kind of have to do this.

I return Micro's nod as I scan the room before entering. Don't see anyone here who I expect to be trouble, so that's good.

In the doorway I remove my little backpack and get something from it. My leg aches, from the long walk and also seeing Wonky again brings it back into my mind. I walk quietly across the place to the bar. Without a word I walk up to where Wonky is talking to Monarch and set Frontside Grab's blue goggles on the table top right in front of Wonky... he should know what it means.

He might see the subtle slightly wicked smile on my lips.
  • To Silica:

Wonky tries not to notice you coming up. But yeah, he looks at the goggles. His eyes widen a bit and he looks up at you. "Holy shit." He says it low, sort of impressed. "Nice." He gives you a smile in return.

Monarch Eye-Vee says, "Silica, right? You want anything to drink or whatever?" He sounds dubious, like you're not here to buy anything. Have you dealt any drugs here before, like when his dad ran the place?
  • edited February 2014
    Silica

Wonky's attention makes me feel better, and the weight of my injury and the stupid shit I did to try and get even kind of lightens a bit. Feels like that's over now and I feel weak and relieved at the same time. I crouch next to Wonky and cross my arms across the edge of the table and rest my head on my arms.

I look up at Wonky again and quietly say "If I ever deserved a drink in my fuckin' life now'd be the time I figure," I don't actually drink much, hardy at all. I turn back to Monarch, "gimme somethin' wet Captain." I ask. Not really caring what, they're sharing a bottle it looks like, maybe a bit of that.
  • I might of dealt around here a couple years ago, the edge of the lake you find people paying a premium for storm insurance, as they might call it. But I wasn't into that scene that harcore yet during Monarch's dads time. Back then I probably would come by more for a fix, beggin for ice or doing whatever it took to get by.
  • To Silica:

Wonky looks down at you, gives a half-grin. He looks up to Monarch and says, "You fucken heard her, right? Scoot, fatass." He chuckles as Monarch takes off to grab some drinks.

As soon as he leaves, Wonky looks at you, then the seat he vacated. No words, but that's him offering you a seat. He looks over at the rest of the Skegs, like they give a shit. Which, they don't.
  • edited February 2014
    Silica

He looks at the seat and I rise from the floor just enough to slide my ass into it. I sit kind of sideways, facing Wonky rather with one elbow on the table.

I shrug and look at the goggles, "I had a little shit to take care of..." I smile. I should feel satisfied but something in me feels sad. I realize I'm wearing my yellow jacket still. I like it, though it is too warm for a place like this.

It's a little bit awkward, I realize how little we've actually spoken and I look around the place at the other Skegs, "evertything, uh... ok with you guys? You know... bein' gone and all?"
  • To Silica:

Wonky slides a glance over at Sambass, Gabber and Hardbag, there's a tension in his neck. Well, on top of the normal tension. He mutters, "It's fine." He's lying.

Monarch shows up with some beers in mismatched glasses, puts them in front of you both. He looks like he's going to sit down in another seat, but Wonky gives him a look and he moves on to check on other customers.

"Good work on Frontie," Wonky says right before he takes a big swig. He pats your back, softly (for him), and adds, "Payback is a bitch, hunh?" Then he lets his hand linger on your back, familiar, maybe a tiny bit possessive?
  • Silica

He touches my back, and leaves his hand there. I tense up, taking a sharp breath and sitting slightly forward at the touch. When a man touches me it sets off old feelings inside that I'm often not prepared for. "Yeah... you know it..." I say, lifting my drink and trying to sound sure of myself but... it just comes out kind of weak.

I take a drink of the beer, looking at the glass and not at him, and as I lower the glass I take a look around the room again, is anyone in particular watching us?
  • To Silica:

Hardbag is. He's sitting on a built-in metal bench, his back to the window, light streaming around him like he's some angel or whatnot. He's got eyes for you, not happy ones. Wonky, too, but he's almost tired of being hateful towards him, so you're the new target.

Micro is, watching you, trying to figure out why you're here. It's weird, right? A few regulars, but more or less, this is a Skeg place. For now. And here you are. Like some missing puzzle piece for Wonky.

Wonky downs another drink, pulls his hand back, practically sits on it.
  • edited February 2014
    Silica

Hardbag watchin' me through his shades. I wonder why he's always wearin' those things. Can't see his eyes but yeah he's watchin.

But with Micro lookin' at me too like that, I start to feel like I fucked up here. Wonky's having a rougher time that he's admitting and I wonder what he's told them about his missed time. No way he told them he was takin' care of me is there? No fucking way. I'm fucking things up for him by being here, aren't I?

I hold my beer in my lap, between my hands. Yeah, I don't drink enough to really appreciate it, or even like it. But it's got alcohol and that's good right?

Still looking at my drink I finally say to Wonky, "you... uh... want to go somewhere and... uh...." I almost hold my breath. He must know what I'm saying... it feels kind of wrong somehow but I feel like I owe him even still. Like...

Fuck...

I don't know what I want him to say. I don't belong here.
  • To Silica:

Wonky looks over at you, like maybe he's not sure he gets your meaning. Then, he catches your look at Hardbag, and it kind of dawns on him. "You wanna go for a ride or somethin?" He stands up, finishes his beer, gives you another nod, like "hey, finish your beer".
  • Silica

Silently I nod.

I look at the beer, teeth kind of gritted, and then I just drink it as quickly as I can, raising the glass to empty it. Probably dribble a little down my chin and cough after I finish. Seriously I don't drink much and I almost struggle to get it down.

Then I stand, setting the glass on the table. I look over at the 'captain and wonder if I owe anything but it seems like Wonky's on the Skegs' tab or something cause we can just up and go.
  • To Silica:

The beer is flat and bitter and foamy in all the wrong ways. But you choke it down. Wonky, and even Hardbag chuckle. Totally different tones.

You head out onto the deck and start to head down the gangplank to the ice, Wonky's ahead of you. You feel someone grab your shoulder, not hard, just to get your attention.

It's Micro. "Hey, Silica. You carrying?" She slips back a step, not crowding you. Wonky heads on down to the ice, giving you space, for whatever.
  • Silica

She startles me and I stop abruptly and turn, "uhh... yeah... yeah 'course I am. You need a fix?" I glance at Wonky and back, feeling ever so slightly unsettled by the beer and the uncomfortable atmosphere of the place. I'd say I got a little seasick aboard but of course that's not possible.
  • To Silica:

There's a moment where you swear Micro's about to make a smartass remark about like "Why the hell you think I asked?" But instead, she reaches out to touch one of your coat's buttons, "This is mag, Silica. Where'd you get this thing?"
  • Silica

I answer almost instantly, "my father gave it to me." And I almost pull away out of instinct, but I don't. Gotta keep calm here, why am I freaking out?

I've obviously sold to her before and unless somethings changed we probably don't need to haggle over a price. Sled riders need insurance more than most, "this'll get you perkin'" I fish through my pockets to find a nice sized crystal sealed up in the little sticky plastic film to keep it from evaporating.

I hold it in my palm for her.
  • To Silica:

Micro leans in, looking at it with wide eyes. "Oh yeah... that'll do nicely." She trades off with you, normal barter. What do folks normally pay you with, Silica?

Wonky's got the snowmobile started up. You're going with him, right? When you get down to him, he asks, "Is your leg ok to ride?" He hands you his helmet.
  • edited February 2014
    Silica

I make the trade. I trade for whatever, food if I can get somethin' good cause you know I do have to eat. Anything else I can pawn off at the market or trade for stuff wherever. But it's gotta be small stuff mostly, I don't haul shit around the place.

I hurry down to the ice to join Wonky, he goes to hand me his helmet and I like let out a little noise, like... seriously? "I don't need a fuckin' helmet," I grab onto the back of the seat and throw my leg over the sled, yeah, makes me wince but I'm trying not to show it. "I'm good, allright?"

I slap him on the shoulder as I settle down behind him and wrap my arms around his waist.
  • To Silica:

Micro gives you a baggie of jerky and a little LED handheld game that has a trickle charge.

Wonky puts his helmet on the front of his bike, like he won't wear one if you don't. It's a chilly day and the wind will tear you up, so he takes the ice to the streets. Looks like he's heading out to Shedd's, to Sk8r territory.

Any problems with that, Silica?
  • Silica

Sk8rs, no I got no particular problem with 'em. Not like they're my buddies or anything but they're young for the most part and don't fuck with me like a lot of old fuckers do.

I did have a tangle with Morrow once. I was sleepin in the snow and she and these couple of fuckers ran me over totally on purpose and snatched some of my shit. I chased em and screamed at 'em and got my ass beat up for my trouble... but that was a while ago. Just a thing that happened.
  • edited February 2014
    To Silica:

You park pretty close to the building, probably because nobody's going to be watching the ride. Wonky stands up off the bike, and waits for you to get off, too. He brings the helmet and keys in.

You head into Shedd Aquarium, the place that froze overnight during the Big Day.
    Walking in, and seeing all of the exhibits intact, crystal clear, with the animals all frozen in place almost like they were still alive.

Wonky leads you towards the sound of the Sk8rs in the shark tank, just skating like it's the only thing they do. What have you heard about how they get jingle, Silica?

Once you're in, you see the handful of Sk8rs here, no Morrow, thankfully. Wonky waves down Flow Darwin, who comes over, sizing you up before looking at Wonky.

"Hey Flow," Wonky says with a head bob of greeting. "This is Silica. Silica, Flow Darwin."

Flow raises a hand to stop Wonky, "I know her, Wonky. She's just an icewalker, man. What are you doing bringing her up in Shedd?"

"What the...?" Wonky starts. The veins in his neck bulge, like out of the blue, "That's bullshit, Flow. She's just Silica. We all get by, and if we aren't wanted, that's just fucking fine!" He reaches over to take your arm, like he's going to walk out.

"Hey now!" Zeach calls from the top of the tank. "Chillax, Flowdar. Damn, Wonky's a friend. And a friend of a friend, dot dot dot."
    This is Zeach:

Wonky hesitates, like if you want to bail, he's gone. But Zeach is up there, all grins and shit, and Flow Darwin looks like she's going to sulk and leave.

What do you do?
  • Silica

I'm wondering why Wonky brought me here, the animals are crazy, I mean... these fuckin fish used to be swimmin' around in here. More amazing is that nobody's eaten them yet.

I don't need to start some shit with this girl, I shake Wonky off my arm and raise my palms to Darwin, "don't worry, we're straight Wonky, the man's right," I look up at Zeach with a hint of a wink almost, "we don't gotta burn out, just gonna fuckin' chill." I keep it calm.

Couple years ago that kind of shit woulda got me shoutin' at a bitch like her, but whatever. It's easier just to take their shit. I do give the bitch a little bit of a look to show her i'm not backing down or anything, but I don't start something.

But I look at Wonky like wondering why we're here...
  • To Silica:

Zeach laughs a belly laugh at your words, and calls down to Flow Darwin, "Flowdar! See? Silica's got it right. So this week, you're buddies. Back that truck up and check your shit at the door, yeah?" Flow Darwin scowls up at him and walks past you to head off to another part of the Aquarium.

"To Wonky, mi casa and all that whatnnot." Zeach pronounces all grandiosely.

Wonky gives a head nod acknowledgement. "PPZ open?"

"Hah! Showing her the best dressed fellows in all Chi-Town? That's great!" Zeach cracks up, his board over his neck as he looks down at you both. "BD might be in there, but prolly not."

Wonky nods again, then looks to you, "C'mon, I wanna show you something." He heads out of the Shark Tank area through some underground passages. The place is in decent enough shape as a structure, but there are places painted and marked by Sk8rs and others, cracks in the walls and ceiling in places, other signs of disuse and misuse.

Wonky's power walking like he has a place to be, which seems to be his thing. All focus, energy and purpose. He leads you past a dilapidated movie theater into an underground area of poured concrete.

You pass by a huge whale that was once frozen solid, but over time, people have chipped away enough ice to strip the body down to mostly a skeleton. It's bizarre and grotesque, the skin matted to the frame of what was once a massive body. Probably fed people for months.

There are signs for the Polar Play Zone around here, and the place opens up into a large area with small stone slides and climbing rocks, all sized for little kids. It was some kind of winter-themed kid place.

Over by a broken-down section is this guy:

You spot a few more, like a whole big family. These guys have done pretty well for themselves since the Big Freeze.

Wonky says, "Check it out, Silica." He chuckles once, like it erupted from him without him meaning to do it. "Pretty cool, hunh?"
  • edited February 2014
    Silica

I gotta laugh at how Wonky's actin in here. Like he's gonna show me something. I just wanted to go for a ride, don't know what the fuck we're doing in here. So I hustle after him, he's power walking or whatever and I just don't share his motivation...

We pass the whale and like... I gotta look but gross, seriously. And all this broken down shit all painted up like for little kids and covered in sk8r tags. He might catch me lookin' at him like he's crazy and I kind of grumble to myself, "ya wanted to show me this nasty shit?"

That is until I see the weird little birds. And my dissapointment turns slowly to wonder. I mean... I had no idea.

"Fuckin' cool... yeah... are they... what are they?" I've heard of penguins but I don't really know what they're supposed to look like exactly. I walk slowly forwards towards the weird little creatures. I pass Wonky who I expect is looking pleased with himself and approach the nearest bird. I look back at him almost like asking if it's ok.
  • To Silica:

Wonky has a faint smile on his lips when he sees you gawking at the birds. "Penguins. Before the Freeze, they made this place cold for 'em. Now, it's their natural fucken habitat and shit." He looks around, "Wish they'd return the favor."

"Bet he'd like that jerky Micro gave ya." he suggests, then nods, like "go on".
  • To Silica:

The little penguin is mostly ignoring you, just walking around, working at a flipper.
  • edited February 2014
    Silica

I look at him and almost laugh, "for real?" Then I shrug and figure what the hell, right? I get a piece of the jerky out of my pack and tear off what looks like a penguin sized piece.

I crouch down, slowly approaching, "c'mere penguin... c'mere..." I hold the meat at arms lenth, just barely dangling from two fingers. I keep looking at Wonky for some fucking reason. What is he my fuckin' dad?

"Come on... take it..."
  • To Silica:

It's weird, but even now, this thing must be a little domesticated. Because it waddles up and quickly snatches away the food, not clipping you or anything. But it was close, right? Enough to make your hand pull back, just in case.

(around 2:20)

Wonky laughs when you jerk back. "Hah! I know, it's fucked up, right? The Sk8rs feed em sometimes. Specially BD. They're like... a mascot or somethin. I dunno. Pretty cool."

There's a bit of a wind in here, and a whistle. You spot a place in the wall where somebody beat the hell out of it with some mallet or something. The penguins have their own little exit.
  • Silica

The little bird takes the meat from my hand and I do flinch and cry out a little bit, probably in a much too childish way. For just a couple of seconds I forget everything and it's just me and this little creature.

Then Wonky is there again and... it's suddenly embarrassing. I stay crouched down for another second then stand back up and watch the penguin eat while slowly backing away so as not to startle them.

"Why do you... were you a sk8r Wonky?"
  • To Silica:

You nailed it.

Wonky looks away, sort of scratches his head to hide his face a little. He doesn't look at you, like there's something interesting over on the wall, "Yeah... a while back. I... I left." He looks back, and there's a little broken something in there.
  • To Silica:

• what was your character’s lowest moment?
    You see it, the moment when he broke Union's neck. The guy was begging for it, he'd challenged Wonky like five times and kept losing, then he started shit, even cut Wonky with a knife. Wonky lost it, beat him down, broke his neck.

Right in front of Zeach, Bloody Dracula, Marrow, Flow Darwin and Carpaccio. They all looked at him different after. Nobody told him to go away, but he didn't feel welcome anymore. Union was their favorite. Wonky wasn't. He wandered around alone for months before he hooked up with Dice. Found a place. Sort of.

• in what ways are your character’s mind and soul vulnerable?
    Wonky wants somewhere and someone who wants him. Somebody who'll tell him to chill out, instead of get him fired up. Somebody who listens. Nobody gets him. 'Cept maybe you.
  • edited February 2014
    Silica

I turn to look at him as he answers and there's this hurt in his eyes. The way he's looking at me makes me just stop.

And I can feel what he did, he killed his place here. That demon inside him comes out and ruins everything for him. His family, his friends. I gotta feel for the guy but I also fear him... because I know. I wish I didn't know.

The birds gather around, expecting more handouts but I ignore them and stand with my mouth awkwardly open and looking at Wonky... "uhhh... but Zeach... uh... seems happy to see you. Right? Maybe you could come back..." It's a stupid suggestion and I know it but I don't know what else to say. He obviously loves it here.
  • To Silica:

Wonky shrugs it off, "Nah. It's not gonna happen. No takebacks, you know?" That tension is there again, in his neck, the intensity in his eyes returns, masks the hurt. "You wanna go and, you know, fuck or something?" He's not looking at you, or the penguins, or the walls, just, nowhere.
  • Silica

I'm looking at him though. Standin' there hurting in this crazy beautiful place. And I know I'm a fucking terrible person. I fuckin' know it.

"Yeah...." I answer simply, quietly, and start to walk to him.

I'm a fucking terrible person cause you know... that's about all I want from him.
  • --END SCENE--