[Snowpocalypse] Healing (R 2.4)

edited February 2014 in Snowpocalypse
Rossi,

It's been a week, sleeping here at Jester and his moms place. Jester was out of it for a whole day, in and out of consciousness pupils dilated, having visions. Mel kept thinking maybe he was "bringing the gift", but it never amounted to much. Bond has fed you, even cleaned your wounds, your clothes. You get the feeling she thinks you're into Jester.

Where are you sleeping anyways? Not much in the way of places to sleep here.

They mostly eat oatmeal here, cooked on their little stove. Always lots water, of course. But not much in the way of wood. Not the best way to live, but safe, and quiet. Tons of books to read.

How have you been spending your time?

Comments

• I don't fucking know what my deal with Jester is... Right now I just feel like an ass for getting his toes chopped off, and sticking around just feels right, you know? I don't like being useless, so when I'm not watching Jester I'm finding firewood, or hunting for food, or cooking something... Say what you will about the patriarchy and a woman's place being a home-maker; but when you live alone, knowing how to cook for yourself is a must. Cooking for four people turns out to be a little hard, though... I kept screwing up the portions at first, cooking way too little. Now I think I'm cooking way too much.

Shy of that, I've been reading books — some poetry isn't too sappy, and the older novels can be interesting — and sneaking in quickies with Jester when his moms step out for various reasons. I've been calling it "an incentive to get better" — but really it's just just as much to keep me from getting bored out of my skull. The only downside to that is that Bond's gaze keeps fucking with me — I keep thinking she knows when we sneak one in, and it's fucking freaky.

I slept on the couch the first few nights; but eventually I just gave up on maintaining the illusion, and now I'm crashing in Jester's bed. I don't like how Bond keeps offering to look after me... I can handle myself. I'm tough.
  • edited February 2014
    Let's pick up after a quickie. Yes, you fire your sex move. You heard his moms coming back in, but didn't stop. Well, Jester didn't stop, but he did keep quiet, and you didn't throw him off you.

Afterwards, he's a little out of breath, you're... flushed? I dunno if this kind of activity tires you or not. Does it? Anyways, Jester says in a hushed tone, since you slap him when he talks too loud about your quickies when they're around, "Hey... we're uhm, running out of rubbers." He doesn't seem worried, per se, except for the potential loss of sex. Which he likes and would miss.
  • I wouldn't say I get tired so much as fuzzy-headed... Flushed is the right word though. I light up like one of Lemma's neon signs when I'm enjoying myself... It's the pale skin. Jester's picked up on it, and starts getting cocky when I start blushing. Usually at that point I'm not really listening to him, to be fair, so he can say whatever the fuck he wants. I usually just nod my head and ride the wave.

I don't know why I let him talk me into this one — I knew they'd be back before we could finish, and he talked me into it anyway... It was a bit of a race to finish towards the end, but I still had fun. Well, it was fun until he pointed out the diminishing stash of condoms... Shit.

I've had a few scares in my day with condoms breaking and all that, but not using them is a different beast all together. Not using condoms? Not an option. Absolutely not an option. No, no, no, no, no, no... Don't get me wrong, Jester's a good fuck and all, but considering my options for an abortion are "poison" and "coat hanger" until I find some poor fucker's head to serve up to Poke, I'm just not willing to risk it.

"Well," I whisper back, "what do you normally do when you run out?"
  • Jester chuckles and whispers back, "Fap it in a bucket." He shoulder bumps you playfully, and says, "You never been to Nation? They have a lifetime supply, but shit's expensive."

He's talking about the little shop downtown that sits under the purview of Stink Bug. It's called Condom Nation.

"Luckily, Bug and his buddies love me." Jester adds.
  • I groan loudly, and shake my head ... I should have known. Still... Is that why all my condoms are marked Condom Nation? I've just been jacking up merchants on the road. Condoms are in high-demand, so there's usually a couple here and there if you're smart. Half the reason I have such a good supply is because I don't fucking shack up with people like this... It's a bit of a shit deal when it comes to keeping your sex-life active, but it also keeps supply up for when you need it.

I frown dubiously when he says Bug and his buddies love him... The man either has amnesia, or he really is naive. "Forgive me if I don't believe you this time," I grunt, "but I guess I could give it a shot... Are your moms running low on supplies or something? We could make a run if you're feeling up for it."
  • To Rossi:

"Hey, exceptions prove the rule and whatnot." Jester says dismissively. Then he looks at you, sees you're not buying it, and waves his hand, "Oh, what the what, Rossi. They love me, till they don't. Like you." He winks suggestively.

On the idea of a run, he nods, "Yeah, long as you don't mind my gimp-ass slowin you down, we can go. Wanna boost a car? There's a lot not far from here. If we can get the gate down, I think we can get some wheels. You know how to drive?"
  • Was that supposed to be a crack at me? I frown bemusedly, and stonewall his joke on principle — but I need to purse my lips at the end to hide my amusement. Fucking Jester and his stupid jokes rubbing off on me...

I shake my head when he asks if I can drive, "Skidoos a couple of times, but I've only driven a car twice. I walk most of the time." How do you think I keep my physique? That and climbing. "I guess I could try though... It's not like there's much in the way between here and there. I should probably check in on Poptart while I'm out there..." I look over to him, "just stick close to me, OK? I'll put my gear on, but keep my mask off, just in case shit goes south."
  • To Rossi,

"Mag, let's do it. I'm a badass driver, Mel taught me. And I use my right foot, so natch." Jester says as he pulls himself up to a sitting position. He looks over at you, all serious all the sudden, "So like, when we finish the run, you wanna fool around with you wearin the mask? Wouldn't that be hawt?" He licks his finger, then reaches over to touch your bare shoulder and makes a hissing sound, then chuckles to himself and reaches for his crutches to get up.
  • ... I have no idea what to say to that. I may be staring blankly off into the distance as he licks his finger and presses it to me with that fake sizzling noise. That was so bad I've got brain freeze — but it's potentially simultaneously the hottest and craziest thing anyone has ever said to me.

Fuck it. I shake my head to clear the shock, and help him up. Then I grab my stuff, and let him explain what's up to his mothers... Unless he spills that we're going for condoms — that'll merit a slap to the arm.
  • To Rossi:

So you two get dressed and head in to tell Jester's moms. He leads off with, "Yo moms, we're headin north to get rubbers. Want any? Just kidding! You two don't need em!"

Melancholy, who is lying on the couch, her head propped on the arm, says, "Why don't you give me a fucking grandkid that I can see before I die?"

Bond hops up from the couch, "Whoah, hey. No, Jester wants protection, he should use it, Melly. You two be safe, alright?"
  • My face is resting squarely in my palm when Jester announces precisely what I keep telling him not to, but Melancholy's response is what really surprises me. That woman has a sharp fucking tongue... She's really not the woman I remember anymore. I look over to Jester, just to gauge his response to that... I wouldn't give half a shit if my old man was dying, but Jester loves his moms... That can't feel good...

Not like I'm gunna give this woman a grandchild or anything. I'm surprised her and Silica didn't get right along – they've got a lot in common. I look over to Bond, feeling a little awkward for effectively making a condom run... I can't stay here. I'm wasting Jester's time as it is... Leading him on... If he wants babies, then I can't hold him up.

I nod in thanks to Bond for siding with Jester... She's really protective over Mel. Apologetic for her outbursts and stuff... It's so weird... I can see where Jester gets it from. When we're outside, I ask Jester, "I don't get how Bond can deal with that... Seeing that side of Mel – that darkness that takes over – I don't get it. That would tear me up." Hell, I was in denial about the good times for a while too – but then I came to my senses and left home. "I'd hate to put someone through that."
  • OOC: reading Jester. Roll+Sharp.
    (Rolled: 2d6. Rolls: 6, 5. Total: 11)
  • OOC: Holding 3, for the moment. I want to see how Jester responds.
  • To Rossi:

Yeah, Jester winces a bit at Mel's cutting remark. But he doesn't say anything back, and he's smiling when he sees you looking.

You hit him up on the way out, and he's crunching up ice with his crutches, keeping up with you. "It's the sickness, not Mel-mom. It's hard to keep in mind, I know. Because bitch. For serious, though. She's earned some respect. And, she gave birth to me." He sort of crutch-shrugs, and adds, "And sometimes, like right after the meds, she's a-okay. Like old times. Sometimes, it's worth it to have those moments, and remember. You know?"

He looks over at you, his eyes speaking more than his mouth. "Bond-mom loves Mel-mom, Rossi. For better or worse, an all that."
  • There's that word... Love makes people do stupid things, like put up with abuse to feed their children. I don't fucking want that, and I don't want to do that to people either. One thing I do understand though, is how much it fucks with your head to hurt people like that... To do things you don't want to do, but you have to do, that hurt the people you care about. When I'm not around, I don't do that to people... They're better off without me.

I look him in the eyes, trying to read between the lines...

OOC: 1/3, what is Jester really feeling?
  • Jester's feeling really good. He just got laid, well, by you, and he likes you. He's going out, which is exciting, going to boost a car and drive for a bit, also exciting. He wants to impress you with Stink Bug, so there's that hope.

His foot also hurts, a lot more than he's letting on. Losing four toes is no laughing matter. He could use some pain meds, or booze.
  • No booze. Blood loss and the adjustment to his balance from losing his toes means he's staying dry until he can walk fine without crutches. We learned that the hard way...

Anyway, I let him guide me out to the old parking lot, and rub his back supportively as we go... Which is fucked up, because I don't normally do that kind of shit. "Jester, I don't know if me staying here much longer is such a good idea... I like you and all, but I can't stand having your moms stare at me like I'm the mother of their future grandchildren... It's fucking creepy, and I'm not much of a "pack" person... I need some room to keep me busy, and this place is too remote to keep an eye on the few people I actually give a shit about..."

I stop and look up at him, "but you're kind of one of those people now, and I don't wanna just fucking abandon you out here... I need to know what it is you need from me. What you think this is. Where you think it's going." I bite my lip, "or isn't... Or whatever."

OOC: 2/3, what does Jester wish Rossi would do?
  • To Rossi:

Jester grins like mad when you rub his back. He loves that kind of touchy shit. Have you deigned to snuggle with him yet?

His smile falters when you mention how his moms have been lately and nods like he's not going to talk you out of how you feel. Then, you talk about needing some room, and he looks at you with this fatalistic look, like he knew it was coming.

But then you turn it around, and talk about what this is, where it's going.

"So, about my moms... I'm sorry they're pushy." Jester says as you past a half-open gate and move into the parking garage. He's heading down. "Well, actually, Mel-mom's pushy. Bond-mom's cool like always, you know? But she's feeling useless and hurting, and she's always wanted me to have kids, you know? She was a great mom before she got sick."

He pauses to pull out a flashlight and shine the beam across the row of cars, like he's been here before, he's looking for one in particular. What does he pick out, Rossi?

Jester hands you the light, gets back on his crutches, starts moving that way, and looks over at you again. "I like you, Rossi. A lot. I know I might slow you down, for a bit at least, but I wanna come with you. And for where I think it's going... well, I don't know what the right thing to say to that is. On one hand, I don't wanna freak you out by putting down rules and boundaries. On the other, I don't wanna piss you off by playing it all cool like I don't care about you. Cause I do."

He pulls up short in front of the car, looks down. "We can break the back window and crawl in. Unless you got a better idea."

Jester wishes you'd let him follow you, maybe keep up whatever bolthole you use when you're working or whatever. He wants to stay with you, because he's afraid of the world right now. You make him happy and safe.
  • edited February 2014
    Who the fuck doesn't like snuggling post-coitus? Are you mad? The man has a huge, and talented penis — and when he says snuggle, most of the time my meager female brain is powerless to say no ... I'm kidding. I don't snuggle — but I am warming up to a little hugging briefly after a good romp. It's like I said — Jester's been growing on me. He stops at an old Subaru Legacy — this old, light blue thing that looks more like a wagon than a car — but I've seen some people do crazy shit in them before.

The prospect of having someone in my shadow — where I protect them from big bads, and make them happy — it's kind of a fantasy that I don't so much subscribe to... Poptart kind of drilled it into my head that it doesn't work so well. Don't get me wrong: I will try to do it — and fuck if I won't do my best — but I'm not expecting miracles. I take the butt of my shotgun and bust the back window quick, without giving it a second thought, then climb in to unlock the driver door for him.

As the driver door swings open, I climb into the front passenger seat, and get comfortable. I look over to him, and offer to take his crutches. "The world doesn't have laws other than whatever you can fucking get away with, Jester. You're a good guy — and I fucked up leaving you back there with Dice... I don't normally give a shit about people getting hurt, but you I do." I think that says something, really... I just don't know fucking what." I pause and give him a serious look. "Right now all I can do is follow that feeling, and try to hold on to it for a while... And maybe, just maybe, if we're smart we can ... you know ... make a go of whatever this is."

I wait for his response, but I can't help but wonder if what it is he sees in me... If he's looking for love, he's with the wrong woman. I am a font of fucking violence, and impatient, and dangerous. I wish I wasn't, but I am, and I worry it'll consume him too.

OOC: 3/3, How do I get Jester to stick with me through the worst of it?
  • edited February 2014
    To Rossi:

Jester listens, and the weird mixed up stuff you confess touches him, he gives you a soft smile, like this is really mag, titslly important to him to hear. He tries the engine, just to see. It doesn't turn over.

"Heh, it was a pipe dream to think she'd start right off, ya know?" Jester says this about the car, then turns to you, leaning into your personal bubble, almost close enough to kiss you. He says softly, "Stop kicking your own ass about what went down with Dice. They're my toes and I'm good with it, so stop calling me stupid by feeling bad. I mean, if I think a few toes are worth the trade for my life, meds for my moms, my life again and a week alone with you, then that's my trade, right?"

He kisses the tip of your nose and pulls back, "It's messy. Risky. Foolish. But fuck, Rossi. Aint it fun?" He grins his goofy grin and looms near you for a moment. Then he reaches up to the steering wheel and pulls himself away, opening the door after a shoulder bump to pry the ice free again, and limps out to pop the hood and check the battery. He calls to you, "Slide behind the wheel, Rossi! Gonna get this baby running, kay? When I say turn it over, I want you to turn the key and slowly hit the gas. Got me?"

How do you get Jester to stick with you through the worst of it?
    Ask? Ask him to be yours, try to stop killing needlessly, help him feel safe.

• Is Jester talking about the car? ... Whatever. He can think that was a square deal with Dice, but that doesn't make it true. Dice fucked him, and insulted me in the process. I'll never forgive Dice for that, and I should have known better. I'm not going to forget that — otherwise it'll just happen over, and over again.

I slip into the driver seat, pull the parking break, and flip the car into neutral so I don't run the poor guy over just when we got him fixed. Then I wait for his signal. The thought of asking Jester to be "mine" makes me feel a little queasy... Earning someone's trust and admiration shouldn't be that fucking easy. I almost don't trust my head... Like, if I asked, my gut says he'd bolt if I fucked up. I would bolt if I fucked up. That's what self preservation fucking is.

As he digs around under the hood, I lean my head out the window, and quietly call to him. "You know, what Bond is doing for Mel — sticking around through the thick of it, putting up with the bad shit because she knows it's not Mel's fault — it's not smart... But it's good of her... I kinda wish I had someone like that, you know? Someone that understands when I lose it, and talks me down when I cross a line between protective and paranoid, rather than working me up..." I brush some hair up into a ponytail while he works, then add, "I mean if someone thought I was worth the effort, I'd really appreciate that, you know? I guess I just expect to earn that kind of thing. I want to earn that kind of thing."
  • To Rossi:

A few beats pass after you tell Jester about what you want, what you need. He calls, "Give it another try, Rossi!" You realize he means the car. You turn the key, pump the gas a little and it rumbles to life. Sputtering a bit, but yeah, this baby still has life in her.

Jester slams the hood back in place and exclaims a joyous "Ha!" He uses the hood to balance as he hops back to the driver's side door. He leans in, like right in your face, inches away. His eyes are dancing merrily. "I'm your huckleberry, Rossi." He kisses you, sweetly, not a come on, just warm and accepting.

He pulls back, "You wanna drive?" He smirks and waits for your response.
  • What's a huckleberry? I try not to think about it as he kisses me — not like it's that hard, given that he's actually a decent kisser. I may smirk a bit when he pulls back, just before he asks me to drive... Then I'm kinda shell-shocked. Boy, it's a good thing I don't have a hangup about killing people...

I smile nervously, "Sure... You know the way, right? I've only been out here like three times."
  • To Rossi:

"If I answer yes, it means I've made runs to get condoms alot." Jester says with a wink. "So, I'm gonna say no." He gets in the passenger side and waits for you to pull out of the space, nice and easy.

Then he adds with a grin, "But yes."

You drive north, slow and steady, for maybe an hour. He does know the roads, lots of cut arounds and long-ways to get past the car graveyards and rough spots. But soon or later, you know you're going to be going into gang territory. Stink Bug's.

As a reminder...
    When you head into gang territory looking for someone or something important, roll +Sharp. On a hit, choose options. On a 10+, you find what you're after. On a 7-9, choose one of the below options
    - You can't find it/them
    - You find what you're after, but there's trouble
  • I give Jester a bemused look, "I'm over-protective, Jester, not naive. You can be honest about your history — just don't point any of the bitches out in public." I shift into gear, and realize that may have come across a bit harsh, so I reach out and grab his shoulder, "I'm joking..."

... heh heh ... Oh fuck ...

Yeah, let's just do this.
  • OOC: Roll+Sharp in gang territory.
    (Rolled: 2d6. Rolls: 2, 1. Total: 3)
  • To Rossi:

Jester keeps good enough company on the way. The radio picks up some chatter, mostly back and forths between some Cs and Soldja Boys. Jester flips the dial over to pick up the staticy voice of Quiksilver, who fancies himself a DeeJay. He's telling some tall tale about some guy who was stuck in a big tower with raiders coming in to steal all the jingle, and this guy, he was a fighter, so he killed some of them one-by-one, all the time, chatting up some fat dude watching outside. The story goes on for a bit, the guy's number one girl is being held by the raiders, and the guys ends up running over broken glass, but finally, at the very end, the guy shoots the leader of the raiders and saves his girl.

Now Jester, he eats this right the hell up. He's rooting for the guy, and jeering the raiders and screams, "Yippie Kai Yay! " right along with Quiksilver. At the end, you're maybe a half block from Condom Nation, and Jester says, "I bet you that guy got seriously laid that, night. AmIrite?" He elbows you and chuckles.

That's when, from behind a solid block of brown ice that was once a delivery truck, four men in orange and blue step out, right in your way. You can gun it and try to run them over, or stop.

What do you do?
  • edited February 2014
    I spend my life climbing scrapers, shooting people, and have on one particular occasion been pushed through a plate-glass window. I'm guessing whoever told this guy the story was full of shit — cause this guy sounds Bad. Ass. With a capital B, and a capital A. I may have been laughing between eye rolls when Jester screamed out that line... I'm pretty sure these are the kinds of stories Poptart's books called "a product of the patriarchy". I shoot Jester a dubious look when he asks if fella got laid that night, "you remember how we didn't fuck that first night after that clusterfuck at the clinic? Getting beat up the way he did fucking hurts!"

I pause a minute, thinking about it, then add, "the day after though — SHIT!" I slam on the brakes when I spot the four men jump out in front of me, and stare blankly at them for a second before rolling down the window and shouting, "what that fuck! Are you dipshits trying to get run over!?!?"
  • To Rossi:

Jester laughs at your "day after" comment. Then all the sudden you try to stop the car, and slide for a few feet. Jester throws his hands on the dashboard, "Oh shit!"

But you pull up and don't hit them, because they're not that stupid. Jester says low, "Double you tea eff, am I a C summoner or someshit? Every damn time?"

The Cs surround the car, one moving to the driver side, one to the passenger, two staying in front. The one walking up to you has a big bushy mustache. He says, "Get out the car, girlie girl."

Jester puts a hand on your arm and says low, "Be cool, Rossi. This is Stink Bug's street. Something funky is up."

What do you do?
  • I'm starting to wonder if Jester's being followed by these stupid fucks. My hand is on my shotgun down at my side when I feel Jester's hand touch my arm, and suddenly my arm feels really heavy. Fuck. This is a waste of my fucking time. I should have just ran them over. This asshole calling me girlie girl doesn't make me want to talk to him.

I look over to Jester, and sigh quietly to myself... Annoyed that I brought him out here again. I guess I'd have just gotten lost without him anyway. I pull up the parking brake on the car, and open the door, slowly stepping out into the cold streets — my shotgun is coming out with me. I'm not afraid to shoot him, but I'd rather not stir up shit with Jester right here.

I stare him down with a cold, stoic gaze, and answer, "what?"
  • To Rossi:

The big mustache guy notices your shotty, but sees you aren't bringing it up, so he keeps an eye on it and says, "Someone stole somethin from Soulja Field.... you know anythin about dat?" He's probably packing under his big puffy coat.
  • I frown, a little annoyed this fucker — with his big, stupid mustache — stopped me to ask if I know anything about some fucking theft. I shake my head, "I've been down south for a week now. What did they steal?"
  • To Rossi:

He looks over at his buddy, like a week is interesting. "A whole week? That lines up about right" He steps into your personal bubble, inches away, leering down at you, "Tell us where you been, girlie girl."

Jester calls up from his seat, "Hey yo, fellas! Where's Stink Bug? He cool with this?"

The C over by Jester says, "We worked it out with him. Don't worry, Jestah. We aint gonna kill you two. But we sure as fuck need answers."
  • Must resist the urge to shoot him ... Fuck this guy's breath stinks. Is it so much to ask that we go get some fucking condoms and walk away from this? I grit my teeth when he calls me "girlie girl" again... Seriously dude, fuck off. My eyes dart over to Jester when he speaks up. I've gotta calm down...

"Fucking," I grunt, annoyed by his prying into my personal business, "since you've gotta know. Jester here lost his toes up at the pier to Dice and his fucking Skegs, and I was helping him forget about it. You gunna tell me what those fuckers stole so I can at least tell you whether I've heard anything?"
  • To Rossi:

"Our generator, that's wot." Bushy mustache says, and he doesn't seem to like you. He likes looking at your tits, though. "So, what you heard?" He huffs a breath, stank old fish.

"We haven't heard shit, man!" Jester calls from the car. "Preserver honor, yo!"

Bushy mustache leans down, glaring at you like your meat. "Why don't you fuck somebody who's got all his parts? Hunh, girlie girl? You got some kinda sicko fetish? Yoi cut em off with Dicey?"

The guy over by Jester seems to notice this is getting heated. He says, "Volkie man, ease off. She's just some broad, man. Jester aint no harm to nobody."
  • edited February 2014
    Urgh. Fucking creep. I can't help myself... "You fuck girls with your toes? Jester here uses his enormous cock. You should try that some time... Unless your toes are bigger — then you've probably got the right idea."

It's probably for the best... "I don't know anything about your fucking generator. Hadden knows everyone who's worth a fucking damn though — I bet he could find out for you."
  • edited February 2014
    To Rossi:

The guy over by Jester laughs at that one. "Toe fucker! Volkie, you a toe fucker? Haw haw."

Volkie, the guy with the bushy mustache, scowls, "Fuck no! Stupid bitch, get the fuck outta here with yer fucken cripple." He gestures for you to go.

What do you do?
  • Oh thank fuck... I feel like I need a bath just from having him breathe on me. I crack open the car door and slip back in. Then I roll up the window and move on. When we're all sealed up, I turn to Jester and whisper, "the things I do for you..."
  • To Rossi:

Jester grins. "Heh, I know. It's my big cock. You're dick-whipped. Addicted to love and all. It happens." He turns to face you as you drive on, "There's no cure." He grins his goofy grin and squeezes your shoulder playfully.
  • I raise an eyebrow and smirk dubiously, "you haven't seen me when I get into a mood, Jester — there are two things you can't stop a woman from getting to: food, and sex. So you'd better keep that big, cock-whipping member of yours handy — or we're gunna have a problem." I shift into drive, and start navigating my way around these fucking asshole Cs, "and none of that 'I've got a headache' bullshit, either! Us women invented that, you know!"
  • To Rossi,

Jester chuckles. "Damn, Rossi. I go and try to be an ass, and you have to be fucken adorable about it. I like this thing we have. And thanks for not shooting those assholes." He leans over to kiss your cheek, all sweet.

"We can park and walk. Nation's right over there." Jester says, pointing to a store with iron bars like a prison over the windows. A couple of Stink Bug's riders hanging out front.

How's your relationship with Stink Bug and his gang?
  • I playfully push Jester away — after he kisses me, of course — and pull over to park the car outside Condom Nation, far enough away that Stink's boys don't get nervous. I get out of the car, and sling my shotgun over my shoulder so I can help Jester out. Stink and me are OK. Ross owes him a favor, because we kinda worked out a deal for him to turn a blind eye to my work bordering his territory... I offered him a cut of what I got for the right to set up an ambush on the trade roads, but he wanted a favor...

Anyway, the only way he would sure up the deal was if he had a "face" that he could ask around for if Ross ever fucked up, so I wandered into town and introduced myself as Ross' girl — I gave him the usual spiel about calling me Rossignol — or Rossi for short — 'cause I carry Ross' fucking skis everywhere, so he knows that much. I'm shocked how nobody makes that connection...

Anyway, I give Jester an arm as we walk up to the boys and I whisper, "I don't know if you're the jealous type, but Stink has a tendency to ask "Ross" if he's "tired of that girl yet" — like he's interested in me — but I'm pretty sure Stink's gayer than rainbow-colored unicorns... So I don't pay him any mind." I look over to the boys guarding the shop and nod.
  • To Rossi:

Jester leans into you when you help him out of the car. He kisses your cheek again and says, "Oh, Stink is totally gay. Trust me on that one. Because sexiness." He winks, then sort of keeps an arm around you, like he's thinking about leaving the crutch in the car. Do you make him bring it?

Either way, you cross the street and Jester gives the guys a head nod, they nod back, like they're not gonna chat you up.

Condom Nation is a pretty unique place. Tiled floor, posters of naked guys and girls from old pre-Freeze porno movies line the walls in haphazard mosaic style. Some have heads cropped off, others have body parts moved around in odd positions. There's even an eight foot long woman's torso, comprised of a bunch of ladies' torsos stitched together like a segmented body. Surreal.

The place smells like rubber and baby powder something fierce. Plus, dogs, too. On top of that is a heady smell of marijuana. The place has electricity, but it isn't perfect, sort of hums up and down a bit. There are a few guys in booths in the back, the booths are showing little porno shows or maybe some girl or guy behind the glass. You can hear them grunting and enjoying the show.

Stink Bug is leaning back on a cushy leather office chair with a fat-ass doobie in his mouth.

Here's Stink Bug:

Stink Bug has a couple guys with him, but they're busy fussing with their dogs, who are in another room, but these guys are feeding them and a couple of the dogs are walking around in here.

Jester leads off with a hearty, "Hullo, Stink Bug! What's the haps?"

Stink Bug blows out a hale of smoke and nods, sees Jester, and then you. "Hey, Jess. What happened to your foot, man?"

"Dice happened." Jester answers simply.

Stink Bug sits up at that. Then he takes notice of you, like he recognizes you. "Rossi! Looking adorable." He looks at you, then Jester, and back, "Hey... did you steal my man or something?"
  • edited February 2014
    I'm making Jester take the crutch. It's not that I'm going to make him use it — but you never know if he may need it for whatever reason.

I take in the sights of Condom Nation, this being the first time I've stepped foot in here. Everything is so flashy here, and hypersexualized... It's fucked up. I nod over to Stink Bug when he greets us, and help Jester over. The man does love his pot... I think I'm getting a contact high just being in this fucking hotbox. I love that he wears a Che Guevara shirt though — if that fucker was still alive, he'd have probably put all of us up against a wall and shot us.

I look to Jester when Stink asks if I stole his man, and smirk. Is that what Jester meant when he said Stink Bug loves him? I look back to Stink and nod. "I didn't steal him so much as stumble into him... You're looking good too, Stink. What's word on the street?"
  • To Rossi:

"Stay off it till the Soulja Boys are done. That's the word." Stink says as he takes a long drag, then puts the doobie on an ashtray. He hops up, and heads over to scruff the neck of one of the dogs, a mangy but strong thing. "You need condoms?"

"Yep, A shitload." Jester answers with a grin.

"Cool, cool." Stink Bug says as he pays more attention to the dog than you. "I don't normally run the shop, but all my peeps went underground till this blows over. At least, the ones who don't fight." He lets the dog go, heads behind a counter, starts opening some locks. "Rossi, you know... it's fortuitous that you came by. I been thinkin about how Ross would be nice to have around, in these troubled times."
  • I had a feeling he might say something like that... It's probably for the best, since I don't have a lot of jingle to pay for these condoms... "Well, you know Ross — he's always looking for work. What kind of thing you need him for? You know he doesn't work well with groups, right?"
  • To Rossi.

"Oh, it's a solo job, for sure. I need someone who aint me or mine for it." Stink Bug says all calm. "See, Palmer wants to work with my guys, but Dice is squeezing him hard. What say you get Ross to go stick a finger in their eye. Clear them out of the shrimp farm, then I'll slide my guys in to help out Palmer from now on."
  • My jaw drops, and I fight to contain a smile. "Slapping the Skegs around?" Hell, I'd do that pro-bono. "Sure, I'll talk to him." I can't really look at Jester right now... It'd tip that this is personal, and I don't want to do that. We can talk about this later — right now, he's getting a lesson in how I pay my bills.
  • To Rossi:

Stink Bug grins, and pulls out a handful of condoms, dumps them into a plastic grocery bag with the word Rainbow on it. He twirls the bag around to tighten the thing up and walks back around to hand you the condoms. "Here you go. Get me Ross and we're even stevens. And, hey, Rossi. If you ever want to make some jingle on the side showing off your tat tas behind glass, no touching, let me know. You, girl, are a moneymaker." He looks at Jester, "You're a lucky summa bitch."

Jester laughs nervously, not sure what else to do.
  • edited February 2014
    Yeah... No thanks. I smile back at Stink Bug, and tug at Jester's side. "Thanks Stink, I'll send Ross your way ASAP. C'mon Jester..." We should go find Poptart, and let her know I'm still alive.
  • To Rossi:

Jester follows along, limping on his crutch, behind you and quiet. You get back to the car, start it up, and dial back into the radio station. Jester turns it down, to talk. "You okay with this?" You know what he means.
  • I'm hesitant to pull it out of park if he wants to talk, so I pull the parking brake back up for a minute, and lean back in the seat. "Jester... This is how I survive out here. I do things I'm not okay with all the time. Telling some Skegs to fuck off, and helping Stink take something from them, after what Dice did to you? I'd do that for free... The condoms are just a nice bonus."

I tilt my head a bit to catch his gaze, and ask, "are you okay with it? It's either that, or I take Stink up on his offer to flash some pervs my tits at one meal per shift plus tips..."
  • To Rossi:

Jester shrugs, "I don't have a claim on you, Rossi. If you want to show what God gave you off and make some jingle, it's peaceful pay, you know? If you end up coming back to me for some cuddling, then bonus." He puts a hand on your thigh, lightly, familiar, "If you want to kick the shit out of some Skegs, well, give them a few extra whacks for me. Just try not to kill everyone? Especially the decent folk."

He pauses, like he's not sure if you want to hear this, but says, "I hear Wonky and Silica are an item, Rossi. So, uhm, keep that in mind."
  • Huh... I'd have never guessed Jester believed in god and shit. Most folks don't anymore. I don't wanna be some piece of meat for those fuckers back at Stink's perv show. When I get with someone, it's on my fucking terms, and because I want to do it... Having men sit there, planning what they'd do to me with half a chance only makes me feel nervous. Still... I guess it's good that Jester's not the jealous type...

I nod when he requests I not kill the decent folks. Anyone who picks up a gun and sticks it in someone's face, especially helpless people, isn't really a decent person — but I won't up and kill people who are being reasonable unless I'm being threatened. Then he drops the bomb about Silica, and I tense up. "What?" I tap the steering wheel nervously, and bite my lower lip. "The big guy? He's with my fucking sister? What the fuck is she doing with a Skeg?"
  • To Rossi,

Jester shrugs, "The guy's a hottie, what can I say?" He chuckles, "I know... you're jealous because you ended up with the cripple, am I right?" He winks when you look over, he's just playing around.

"I heard it from BD. The two of them were hooking up at Shedd's like an all-nighter."
  • Urgh. I narrow my eyes at him, "you may want to take it easy on the cripple jokes — you're insulting my taste in men." Anyway, I click my jaw a few times in contemplation as he explains they hooked up at Shedd's... Fuck... What the hell is Silica doing sleeping around with that guy? He's fucking trouble — the Skegs are trouble.

I shift into gear, and drive for a bit before adding, "might have to have a talk with him..."
  • To Rossi:

Jester remarks, "You know, they might be a thing. She might like the guy. He's most def a tough brute, though. Stranger things have happened."

Ahead you see the scrapers looming. Hey, Jester hasn't met Poptart, right? How's this gonna go?
  • "I'm going to need some time to think on that," I retort, not wanting to think about someone getting with my sister, "let's just deal with what's in front of us..." Which is as much a call-out to the scrapers we're approaching as the troubles I'll no doubt have with the Skegs at the Shrimp farm...

How is introducing Jester to Poptart going to go? Poorly. Very poorly. Remember those books I told you about? Feminism and all that? Poptart doesn't like men... She's been hurt. If half of the shit men have done to her happened to me, I'd hate them too... That's saying something, considering half the shit men have done to me, is a pretty respectable list in and of itself.

I'm getting a little edgy as we approach it... I need to get my shit, and I can't leave Jester down with the car — especially with those fucking Cs roaming the streets.
  • To Rossi:

You park in an alley, and Jester piles out of the car. You know this climb is going to be a bitch and a half for him.

"Where are we going? Wanna hit that bank again for a quickie?" He gestures with a nod towards the place where you hooked up a couple weeks ago.
  • I shake my head, and try to swallow — but my mouth is dry. "I kind of left a bunch of my shit up in this building when I met up with you at the Hospital, Jester. I need to get that shit back. There's a woman up here, who's kind of like a second mother to me... She uh... She's probably not going to approve of you joining me." I take a breath, and chuckle to myself, "and believe me, jokes won't help you... But it's best you meet her now, in the event we end up fucked and need a place to crash later..."

I look back over to him and smile, "but if we get kicked out, bank for a quickie it is." The climb isn't that bad... At least there are stairs. Some of my safe spots are a twenty-story climb outside. They weren't really tenable without a sniper rifle; but hey, I've got one now!"
  • To Rossi:

Jester grins, then tries to wipe off the grin, "Sorry. I'll be totally serious." He moves along behind you to the entryway, "Absolutely serious. Like... Molotov serious. For serious." He drops into a deeper voice, because that's much more serious.

Then he shuts up, before he gets too annoying.

The climb is tougher than you expected. There are some parts where stairwells are broken, a level where you have to climb up a ladder. He manages, but there's NO WAY you're sneaking up on Poptart.

Finally you reach her floor. What do you do?
  • Well, the climb up was bad enough — if Poptart makes him feel like shit, then I guess I'll just have to make it up to him later... If nothing else, it could serve to toughen him up, though...

I stop before the door and whisper, "She totally knows we're here... But just let me go in first, OK? Seriously... You're a decent guy, like I said, and I'm sure she doesn't really mean whatever she says... Presuming she talks to you... Just... You know... No dick jokes."

When I'm satisfied he understands, I'll open up the door and head in.
  • To Rossi:

Jester nods, like he knows you mean business and he isn't pushing it. He does roll his eyes at the "no dick jokes" bit, but he stays back.

You head into the bachelor pad. Poptart is sitting on the couch this time, she's got a new weapon with her. A bolt-action rifle. You've never seen her with it before. And she's sitting there, not hiding. She was waiting for you.

"That's the one from the other night?" She asks the question as a formality, mostly.
  • Fuck... Who'd she kill to score that thing? I nod confidently, and add, "you sent Silica out after me?"
  • To Rossi:

She nods. "Somebody shot Silica. She's in trouble. I sent her to find you to keep her out of any more trouble."

After a beat, in a softer voice, "She's wearing Nollie's coat."
  • A real rush of emotions flood through me between those four sentences... Rage, desperation, annoyance, and then finally understanding... I purse my lips, sucking on the corner of my cheek, and nod. "I saw her a week ago — she seemed like her normal self," loud mouthed and inconsiderate, "she was down with fucking Frontside the day that owl came to the balcony... Was it him that did it? Or one of those fucking Skegs?"
  • To Rossi:

"Wait..." Poptart looks up at you, fire in her normally withdrawn eyes, "Silica was with him? That fucker?" She stands up, rifle in hand, "Why?"
  • I throw my hands up, as confused as she is. "Fuck if I know! She fucking threw shit at me. Frontside and that fat sack of shit he bunked with had her down there, pointed a gun at my head and told me to lay down arms. Then his fucking cousin or whatever snipes at us from this building across the street... If not for Hadden riding in I might not have had the opening to get us both out of there..."

I sigh, "she's a fucking mystery to me..."
  • To Rossi:

Poptart closes her eyes, and you can practically see her pushing all this anger out, like she doesn't want any of it right now, maybe never again. "She's so like you, Rossi. So you got her out of there? Is he..." She opens her eyes, looks right at you. She can even finish the question, but you know what she's asking.
  • I nod, "him, the fat fucker, his cohorts and his fucking cousin. They fucked with my fucking sister!" I take a deep cleansing breath, relaxing my shoulders, and almost instinctively eyeing Jester for a split second. Then I search the room for my shit, "you need any help with anything? More firewood? Food? Supplies?"
  • To Rossi:

The answer hangs in the air for Poptart. She sets her jaw, then nods once. It's done. She even quirks a little smile when you talk about your sister. But it's gone as soon as you see it.

Jester's trying to hang back, be invisible. He was gawking at you when you revealed how many you'd killed. It still shocks him to know this about you. Like he doesn't exactly believe it, even know.

Poptart answers your question about what she needs, "I've got some shit. C'mon and eat." She looks out to the hallway, "You, too." She doesn't say sweet or anything, but she's not aiming the rifle at him.

He uses the crutches to get himself inside, and Poptart looks over at them, like maybe she didn't notice before. "Crutches? He'll slow you down, Rossi. Bad move."
  • edited February 2014
    I shake my head when she calls Jester a bad call... I know Jester will slow me down – but I don't give a fuck. "His name is Jester – and it's my fucking call to make." I look over to Jester, and calmly add, "Jester – this is Poptart."
  • To Rossi,

"Hi Poptart, it's nice to meet you." Jester says softly, a hint of nerves in his voice. "Rossi speaks highly of you."

"Yeah? Well, she never mentioned you before." Poptart replies as she heads over to pull out a few cans of food from inside a wall.
  • I'm heading over to the corner of the room, gathering my stuff and watching Jester. "There are plenty of people I don't tell you about, Poptart... This one's different."
  • To Rossi,

Jester grins at that. Not a cocky grin, more like a surprised little happy one. He hobbles over to the couch, "Poptart, do you mind if I have a seat here?"

She replies without looking at him, "Not in the middle."

Jester plops on the couch and lets out a sigh of content. "This. This is a really great couch!"

Poptart says with a bit of a sneer, "He always this fucken chatty?"
  • I chuckle to myself as I stuff some bras into my backpack. "Yes. Lay off him." I'm tempted to say it grows on you, but I tend to be a little chatty when I'm not in the mask... At least when I'm not around Poptart. I look over to Jester, "Poptart and I dragged that thing up here from the lobby. It was a super bitch to get up the ladder..." I couldn't believe I'd managed to lift that fucking thing once the job was done... It took us a solid week of work to do it. I don't think I got off it for two days after the fact.

Then I find a way to make myself useful – breaking up wood for the fire, helping Poptart cook, whatever.
  • To Rossi:

Jester looks at the couch with newfound respect. "This is a beast of a thing. Mad props to you two."

Poptart is ignoring Jester now, probably out of respect for you. She gets you to start the fire and in a few minutes, she's stooped over the cooking pot making some stew. She tells you to have a seat, finally, seemingly annoyed that you're near her.

"Where's your sister now?"
  • I just don't like feeling useless — and it kind of irks me when Poptart tells me to sit down, but I listen. I sit on the arm of the couch next to Jester, leaving the opposite side free for Poptart. I shrug when she asks where Silica is, "fuck if I know... Last I saw her was a week ago, when we were driving Jester south to his Moms' place. We fought, so I told her I wasn't leaving with them. She had a spat with one of Jester's moms... Seemed a little freaked out."

Silica has "spats" with a lot of people, it seems...
  • To Rossi:

Poptart hrms, which is her nonverbal objection to you letting Silica go off wherever for a week. But that's all she says.

Jester offers, "In Silica's defense, Mel was in a mood. She'd been without meds for a few days."

"When're you hunting her down again, Rossi" Poptart asks all flat, like she expects you will do the "right thing" for your sister.
  • Fuck... I hadn't planned on it. I usually just keep an ear to the ground for her... I guess leaving her to her own devices for a week is a bit much. It's not like I can just go traipsing about looking for her. "I've got some shit to deal with, but I'll make a point of tracking her down before I do..." I turn to Jester, "we can go have a chat with Hadden about that... I need to find a new place to crash at anyway, since Molotov knows where it is."

I like my privacy...
  • To Rossi:

"He can't stay here. No room." Poptart says it all matter-of-factly, like she decided it, your input wasn't needed.

Jester suggests, "I can prolly earn some jingle playing at Crossover. Enough to get a BM stamp."
  • I look over to Poptart with a vexed expression — wordlessly dismissing the thought that I would even consider leaving Jester here alone with her... More so for Jester's benefit than hers. This is going moderately better than I expected; but I would never put Poptart out that way, and I'm kind of insulted she would think I'd ignore all the fucking conversation's we've had about the men in her past.

Anyway, I look back to Jester and nod, "if you want... I prefer something a little more remote than Backside Misty's." It's my way of saying "don't expect me to stay there willingly". It's bad enough Nini's there...
  • To Rossi:

Jester shrugs, he wasn't committed to it. "Underlake has some places. We could rent somewhere at Shedd. Maybe Silica would show up there. Or go north. Remote. Capital RE."
  • I fucking hate people... Not all people, just the way they are when they're together. I prefer to be self sufficient — it gives me stuff to do, something to take my mind off of idle thoughts. I know Jester needs people though, so I'm going to need to compromise, at least until he can get around again... I don't like renting from people — because it means I'm beholden to them for the roof over my head. "Let's just take things one step at a time, OK? We'll find you somewhere you can work without too much walking first, and I'll just have to hoof it for a while..."
  • To Rossi:

Jester grins, appreciative. "Thanks, Rossi." He takes another bite of the stew, which isn't half bad. You all eat, quietly. I'm sure it's good for you, definitely for Poptart.

But after a few minutes, Jester asks, "Mind if I play a little? I've got this bad luck harmonica, can't pay somebody to take it. Might as well give it some blow, yeah?"

Poptart snarls, but doesn't say no. Do you?
  • Jester's really good — if that doesn't warm Poptart up to him, then she can just be fucking miserable for a while. I nod, and push myself up off the chair to finish packing up my stuff.
  • edited February 2014
    To Rossi:

Jester puts his hand over the little metal salt shaker and sits up so he can stamp with his good foot. Then he grins at both of you, and says, "Hope you two like this!"

(and yes, Poptart gets into it. You don't see it in her face, but she is tapping her foot)
  • I catch myself smirking while I pack, particularly when I see Poptart tapping her foot. That alone probably made the trip worth while... Once everything's packed up, I jump back up on the arm of the sofa next to Jester, and slide a hand onto his back while he plays. When he's done, I look nod towards the door, "we should go... If we're going to find a place to stay, we should do it before nightfall."
  • To Rossi:

Jester nods, starts getting up. No complaints, just "hey, we're done." As you're going, Poptart slips some kindling into your pack, and says, "Be safe out there. If you find a better hideout, lemme know. Too many Soulja assholes out there."

She puts a hand on your shoulder. "Thanks. For killing him. Good one."
  • Poptart is aware that my efforts to find a new hideout are to house Jester, right? I probably look a little surprised as I answer, "Sure... Asshole had it coming. I'll let you know if I find something."
  • To Rossi:

You head on, back down, back towards the car. Just before you get outside, while you're looking down the alley, you see that owl, Lunch. It's sitting on the hood of the car.
  • edited February 2014
    Oh for fuck's sake... I sigh and rest my face in my palm... "Jester... Meet Lunch – my sister's owl. Last time he came to me, Silica was trapped in a hole guarded by snipers. I'm guessing she's gotten herself into some new pile of shit?"

Why the fuck am I talking to a bird? ... I look back to Jester. "Hop in... Let's go find her."
  • edited February 2014
    To Rossi:

"She... has a bird that goes for help when she's in trouble?" Jester says it like he is still trying to piece it together. He throws his crutches in and slides across the seat to sit next to you. "Your sister is kinda weird."

Lunch takes flight when the engine roars to life. If you're genuinely going to follow it, then it leads you east. All the way to the lake. No way you're taking this car out there, right?

Lunch is circling above Underlake, you're pretty sure.
  • "No shit," I retort, leaning forward to watch this owl take off so I can follow it... "Runs in the fucking family, I guess."

I stopped the car out by the lake, and try my best to make out the white bird on the grey clouds over the white ice and blowing snow... Yeah, it's that kind of a day. No, I'm not bringing this car out there... I'm hesitant to even walk out there with Jester, really. I turn to him, "You know any sledders that aren't complete assholes? Looks like we will be going to Underlake after all..."
  • To Rossi:

Jester takes a moment before answering, just looking at you, your eyes. Then, like he broke himself away from a stray thought, "The best sledders are Stink Bug's. We could get a ride from the Pier pretty easy... but well, you know, maybe we don't wanna go there. We can hit Crossover and walk. I'll catch up if you need to run. Underlake people love me. For real this time." He reaches out to gently move a stray hair out of your face.
  • edited February 2014
    That look catches me off guard, and I can't help but narrow my eyes in bemusement. "What was that look for?"
  • To Rossi:

Jester smiles warmly, "You'll be mad." He pauses, like maybe you'd let it go, but you won't, will you?

"I think it's great how you're gonna help out your sister. You're a good person, Rossi." He slides over to peck you on the cheek, "It's why I'm into you."

Then, after a beat, he looks down, just a glance, and smirks, "The boobs are just icing on the cake."
  • I would be mad — but that's kind of sweet... I can feel myself blushing when he calls me a good person. Even though I know I'm not the best person, I do try to watch over my own... I frown coyly when he calls my boobs icing on the cake, and nudge him playfully. "Easy mister — you were on a roll there for a minute." I really don't get why Jester's so nice to me... Being a selectively good person shouldn't merit the praise he's dumping on me.

I feel like I should return the compliment... Maybe tell him how I wish I could be calm, and level headed like him... How I wish I could be optimistic like him... Hell, maybe even tell him how much I wish I was good at making beautiful music like him, instead of hurting people like I do. He's nothing like so many of the men out there in the drifts... He's sweet, caring, and apparently head over heels with me...

Poor sucker...

I smirk to myself and pull him into a quick kiss, then do a three-point turn, and head back the way we came. "Let's go to Crossover... If you want to rent a room there, I'll come back. Otherwise, just follow me out to the Underlake at your own pace."
  • To Rossi:

Jester smirks when you kiss him, then answers, "Sounds good, Rossi. I'll follow you. Let's go."

You head back to park near Crossover, get out into the snow. After a half block, there's a huge explosion to the west, maybe a little south. I mean huge, like snow is shaken off roofs and icicles fall like daggers and it's pretty intense for a moment.

Jester slips on his crutches and takes a spill, but he's okay.

Then you see the fire. Bright enough to light the streets for blocks.

What do you do?
  • I drop down onto my haunches, spinning around and bringing up my shotgun the second I hear the blast. I scan the horizon for signs of people moving, but only come up with the fire to the west. "Holy shit," is all I can muster as I slowly rise up and offer my free hand to Jester, "what the fuck was that!? ... C'mon, let's get inside."