[Big Maul] Table Chatter / Out-Of-Character

Comments

• oh boy here comes the maelstrom...
  • edited April 2014
    Hey, what kind of fucked-up psychic psycho would I be if I didn't expose myself to powers entirely beyond my control at wildly inappropriate times?
  • Holy shit, rolled.
  • Playboy and Hottopic are going to run a bit slower pace until I see if the Violence Kings and the AMC crew throw down. That impacts them, and I'd feel weird having to retcon too much. Sorry about things getting out of sync.

Also, haven't heard from Alan about Big Mac, he's about to fall into NPC status.
  • Do you want those of us in the future to hold while the timeline catches up?
  • Do you want those of us in the future to hold while the timeline catches up?
    Well, hold up? Maybe not. It's just that we're still sorting out the world, first session, so I'm hesitant to openly declare anything.

Let's just say I'm going to throw obstacles in front of Playboy and Hottopic to delay them going to the AMC until I know what's left in there.

• edited April 2014
    I know we need to speed along here. Jet's intention is to go out another way, through some halls and egresses leading up to a maintenance area behind the stage of Theater 3, and then enter that theater through the stage door to look down at the room. If Cache wants to part ways, I'll let zir go but I'm still planning to do the same thing.

I've got jingle to spend and if I see something awesome or tres chic, I just might buy it. But I'm especially on the lookout for anyone with observable talent or unignorable exhibitionism.
  • I'd like to see how Cache responds to the brain opening, it may/should affect Jet's actions, too.

I hear Playboy needs work...
  • edited April 2014
    JET CAN MAKE HER DREAMS OF STARDOM A REALITY!

And re the above, although he'll let zir go if ze wants, Jet would much rather take Cache with him. This conversation has got him even more excited than he already was.

ETA: I hear ya on the brain opening. I'm just telegraphing Jet's intentions to you before we get there. IF we get there. (gulp)
  • how is this for a general layout of the AMC? I know it isn't perfect, since the AMC in Crestwood is "rounder", but I can't find much better.

• Love ya Rich!
  • Ok 3 and 4 on the map are the double theater Jet calls 9 and 10. North of theater 6 let's put another one, but it's totally collapsed and we've salvaged everything worth salvaging out of there?
  • Cool!
    We can suss it out and then put it on the wiki.

Who else wants to add comments?
  • Gotta run out for an hour or two. Holy fuck why am I going up on the roof...
  • Dad's in renal failure. I can't promise I won't use Cache for catharsis. God help you all.
  • Let it bleed, brothersister.
    I'm here.
  • Take your best shot, we wouldn't be here if we couldn't take a bullet or fifty.
  • Ok I'm out for a while. Later tonight yallz.
  • So, there's some stuff happening, apparently. Another point in favor of the PbF thing, when it works: author trumps actor (even a good improviser) in terms of condensed punch-per-word when it wants to.
  • Well obviously I am back, and obviously the dice still hate me! Take it away Rich!
  • I'm just waiting to see what that 8 gets me before coming out.
  • I'm still mulling, will probably not have a post up till tomorrow.
  • Yeah I'm waiting for the fallout from Cache's brain opening. Also I think my last line might be a manip roll? But I should let you get back to Cache first, yes?
  • Halted as requested. If my last line to Sweet is a manip roll, I think I'm basically trying to make Sweet view me as the "pack alpha" of AMC (and by extension, Cache). Which isn't actually untrue either, even though I lack that move. My leverage is Sweet's understanding of what you might call "pack alpha code".
  • edited April 2014
    Morning yall. Rich, do I roll a manip on Sweet?
  • edited April 2014
    Morning

Sure, Tod, but then you better react to the breeze
  • Ok so I'm using the carrot. If Sweet speaks to me like "rational bizniz people" (alpha to alpha) he'll get an XP.
  • ...and I just leveled up.
  • Oops, should I have waited?
  • Not sure if I'm picturing this correctly, here's what I think is happening?

1. Cache opens zir brain
    So I think the brain opening is going on while...

2. Jet stands and puts himself between Cache and the door
    3. Sweet enters via door, says his lines
    4. Jet looks at Sweet, fails "Everybody Eats" roll, then says his lines ("Manipulate" roll)

• OK. I'll delete my post
  • you know, the more I think about it, it's sort of silly to have Jet Black use everybody eats, fail, then follow right up with manipulate. I'm going to disallow that roll, Tod. Sorry for the wishy-washiness, but I was just trying to catch up to the posting last night and didn't process very well.
  • So, the sequence is

1. Cache opens brain. Breeze starts up
    2. Sweet shows up, says his lines
    3. Jet tries Everybody Eats, fails.
    4. Breeze threat is coming, gunshots heard, Cache has seen the Brain Opening and can now react.
    5. this is where we are now.

Jet, I'll delete the die roll, can you edit your post with the Manipulate?
  • edited April 2014
    Ok I'm back and will catch up reading now. My reasoning was that "everybody eats" happens entirely in your head, which is why you ask the MC, not the Player.

The way I read that when MCing, it is simply a mental recollection of things the character has heard lately, as opposed to a Manip or Read (which both require conversation). But, your game!

ETA: Like that? "POTENTIAL CHEATING DETECTED"
  • I appreciate the understanding, Tod. Sorry for the back and forth, man.
  • ok, roll removed in that post (I can delete it, just can't alter it). Please proceed.
  • edited April 2014
    I'm gonna take +1 Hot for my levelup. NEW IMPROVED - NOW EVEN SEXIER!

Even brief exposure to the Breeze can have a noticeable effect on a person. In Jet's case, his cheekbones have become slightly more pronounced, his eyes just a little more soulful, and his hair a tad fuller.
  • Rich, in-scene, I was trying to set up a read-a-sitch in the narrative. When I do that, should I call it out explicitly? Or wait for you to see it and call for the move? And if you don't (as in this case) should I ask after my goals (here or in-scene) or what?
  • We should step back and let you read the sitch. A hint for move intention is good, I totally didn't read that for some reason.
  • Deleted the post in Playboy scene. Read away
  • OK, cool. Now I get to roll on my worst stat. :)
  • hey all,

Not sure what my daytime post rate will be like this week. I'm starting a new job Monday and I don't even know if my desk is set up yet or when I'll be sitting there or what. I'll catch up when I can and post at night.

Good night!
  • Enjoy the new job, Rich!
  • Hey Rich? When you get a minute... Nan is a black female.
  • Hey Rich? When you get a minute... Nan is a black female.
    This is what it says on the wiki:
    Nan - actor, sad music singer, masochist, cutter

to me "actor" equals "dude".
  • The term is used in a non-gender-specific way. There are no "actresses". Nan has been established in the photo on the wiki and in Jet's (my OOC) tale of Springfield.
  • The term is used in a non-gender-specific way. There are no "actresses". Nan has been established in the photo on the wiki and in Jet's (my OOC) tale of Springfield.
    Do me a favor. Put an m or an f by their names in the wiki.

Thanks

• ok done!
  • I'm going to take a move for Sweet N Sour. When Ben returns to play, he is more than welcome to resume the character.
  • Breeze moves done
  • edited April 2014
    I've never played a game of AW where none of the PCs were sane before. This is interesting.
  • I'm crashing for X hours. Niko, if you wanna help Jet get downstairs again, be my guest!
  • I've never played a game of AW where none of the PCs were sane before. This is interesting.
    Hottopic is sane. I think.

• Yeah, that was the closest-seeming violation of my statement.
  • Brainer move made on the roof.

Yes, Cache could just take Jet to safety without taking an opportunity, but that wouldn't really be Cache, now would it? };)
  • I think HT is mostly not entirely crazy. Yet.
  • What makes you think none of us are sane, Chris?
  • edited April 2014
    Niko, do you answer any of Jet's questions while we move through the halls? Because I'm just gonna go straight to the office...

ETA: Oh and Rich: Do we see anything unusual in the hallways as we move through them?
  • ETA: Oh and Rich: Do we see anything unusual in the hallways as we move through them?
    Working on a post. Will care for some details.
  • Sure, just didn't want to ask in character. Felt weird. :-)

Hey I'm getting confused on Mari. How can she be in Cache's room when she's in Walgreen's? Are there really two of her? Or are Hot and Playboy at different times from each other? Which one is furthest ahead?
  • So, I'm trying not to keep an actual body count for how many people have been killed or injured in the last 24 hours of game time because someone was "helping" Hottopic, directly or indirectly. But, Rich... how many people would you say died in the fight at the AMC?
  • Sure, just didn't want to ask in character. Felt weird. :-)

Hey I'm getting confused on Mari. How can she be in Cache's room when she's in Walgreen's? Are there really two of her? Or are Hot and Playboy at different times from each other? Which one is furthest ahead?
    what? Should be Esco at Walgreens. Mari at Cache's room waiting.

• Ok right right, gotta read back, trying to figure out when we last saw Mari before this.
  • Godiva, plus one of the VKs died in the fight.
  • Ok right right, gotta read back, trying to figure out when we last saw Mari before this.
    Cache sent her out to hunt for more victims during the show.
  • Coo, thanks. I'm wondering if I saw her in the crowd.
  • Sorry Rich, we keep crossposting. I'm fine with Fall being with us in the office.
  • Ok Rich, hit me again!
    Most evil dice in the history of dice!
  • Bonus points for Genesis P-Orridge. Respect.
  • Lady Genesis? Who posted zir? What'd I miss?
  • Franc's prized autographed CD. It's in the safe. It's just about the only thing in the safe, matter of fact.
  • Interesting that I've been thinking more about more sorts of music because of Muzak and AMC. I'm gonna have to move Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV back into the rotation now.
  • Then you should dig this playlist I did for Cache: Playlist
  • CAN THE WORLD BE AS SAD AS IT SEEMS?
  • Terrible Lie!
    beep beep beep
    beep beep beeeeep
  • edited April 2014
    It's so awesome that you guys recognized the namedrop! :-)
  • Work will be long today, not sure about post rate.
  • Any chance one of you fine folks has the Touchstone playbook? I have it, but don't have access at the moment. I'm trying to recall a few things.
  • Hey Chris. Niko is about to crash, so we may not connect up Playboy and Cache. I hope to post later
  • Awesome, Chris. Thanks.
  • Sure, either way, you can pick up from where I left things or you can inject an encounter with Jet/Cache. Feel free!
  • I think you can end that session there, Rich. Jet is unresponsive.
  • HT is ready to head out to do her chores for the day, as detailed in the post. I don't have any particular preference what order things go in, but she'll probably invite Payphone along when she heads down to check the generators.

Meta-Meta, I'm aiming toward getting the XP for my next advancement, and toward justifying it somewhat in the fiction. I'm thinking about expanding my "fix stuff" to "fix people" by picking up Healing Touch from the Angel Playbook.
  • Hi Niko! Love ya Cache! How are you doing?
  • Getting there. Shit's still intense, but less so. Dad made it through, and is home, but he's on O2, and we'll be doing dialysis at home. My ex-GF and I are on speaking terms (which is awesome, because she's one of my best friends), so that relationship isn't a total bust. There's other shit, good and bad, that I won't bore you with.

In brief, more complicated, less bad.

Postback for Cache, and a new WTF is Cache post. Figured I'd put my intentions upstairs in Cache's mouth IC instead of OOC here.
  • edited May 2014
    Nice. And good to hear. The complications are the plot, you know. :-)
  • Postback. I'm crashing. See you on the other side.
  • hey guys, after some thought, I've added a new section to the Rules, Tips and Tricks for this game (it's the very first post in this thread. It reads as follows:

Who talks for NPCs?
    For most situations, I prefer to role-play or portray NPC's in the fiction. I'm okay if you describe some flavor of their reaction in a post for your PC, perhaps a look, or a gesture, something that just gives focus to your actions / intentions. However, I would rather handle the rest. I like writing characters and dialog, I like expressing my thoughts on the world and our setting through them. This is a big part of my fun. Please don't take that away from me. If you feel strongly about this, let me know privately and we can talk about it.

The exception to this is NPCs that are "bought and paid for", meaning your gang, your crew, your helpers, NPCs that come from a Move or an Advance. Those I am more comfy giving leeway. They're somewhat an extension of your PC, so some light conversation or reaction from them will be cues to me for how you see them in your "penumbra", so to speak.
  • edited May 2014
    You're up, Hazard!
  • Fishing for electricity dancing on the interwebs led to this:

• I propose the following for No Sliding, No Smoking and No Storage (in that order).

• Those pics are great, Paul
  • Hey all,

I want to publicly apologize to Tod (AsIf). Over chat, I have been sarcastic towards him on multiple occasions and that was inappropriate and uncalled for. I have not treated him with respect as a player nor as a person. I have been snippy and dismissive to his concerns, and that is a horrible thing.

Tod, I am sincerely sorry. I hope you can forgive me for the way I've spoken to you.
  • edited May 2014
    Oh my... A public apology was not required - unless you think it will serve to help ward off rising popular support for some sort of internet-based "Let's Disrespect Tod" movement. (I have already lived through one of those in my time, it was called TodSux.com, that's what happens when you run online communities for teenagers.)

But here and now, I'm much more interested in determining whatever the causes are, and after that, even more interested in any lessons to be drawn - on all sides. You know, turn it into SCIENCE, lest it be a total waste of time.

If we are talking about a straightforward clash of innate traits or values which creates a suppressed conflict of some kind, there may be no easy way to proceed without it manifesting again. I have been given negative reinforcement, but I'm too stupid to recognize the behavior it's supposed to become attached to.

So. Can I play? Yes. But I don't know what my approach should be. If I play Jet as an invested player would (should?), I'm unsure how I'm "supposed" to do it, and therefore I'm handshot. I'm turtling. Yet if I don't invest in him (which would be emotionally wise), I'm basically just writing a chapter for you all to tiptoe around, and then departing when my debt is paid. Which is... you know.
  • edited May 2014
    On the other hand, now that this is a public issue, perhaps what Rich is offering me is the opportunity to make him handshot. So I can beat him up a little bit, make him feel guilty, get a jillion XP for free or whatever.

There's a certain fairness to that as a concept, but also a metagamey quality that doesn't feel right either.
  • edited May 2014
    I do give him points for being able to look at it, however. I respect that. In fact that's why I'm posting here now. There are many threads on SG and other sites about why PBF "fails". Rich has participated in several of those threads. In them many people offer many explanations that are perfectly reasonable, even academic. But I don't think anyone in those threads has ever pointed out situations like this (which I think are probably very common) - because accepting responsibility for one's own actions is something most people aren't very good at, or even able to consider.

But my point is: It's really only the fact I'm a veteran GM of 3-decades-plus and a professional RPG designer with a hard head and a healthy ego that made it even possible for me to think I had the right to question the GM's behavior. If those things weren't true, I would have just slinked away without a word, like most PBF gamers do.
  • I didn't think your feedback was an attempt to make me feel guilty, Tod. I offered a public apology because I publicly was rude and disrespectful, so a private apology felt like a half-measure.

I would love to find a way forward. I can't tell you to commit emotionally to Jet Black, Tod. I can ask you to accept my apology, understand that I hear you and want to engage, to find a way to improve my abilities as an MC so that I can facilitate a kind of game that you and I both can enjoy together.
  • edited May 2014
    Having slept on it, the following things seem true today:

1. My debt right now is to Paul. But I don't think I can pay him back within this game.

2. I can help you better as an MC by not being a player. You don't take well to MC advice being offered by players. I've even considered taking over for you as MC and letting you be a player (which is what you really excel at)... that seemed like a great idea until I remembered your MCDiary. So that's not a good solution either.

3. I don't know how to play here. I thought I was doing a good job, but it seems that everything Jet does (or I do) pisses you off. So I look at the empty textbox, worry about how I'm supposed to write, what I'm not permitted to write, what if I write something too long, will you even read it, how will you respond OOC, what your responses will be like now that the Heisenberg Principle has its eyes on you, they wont be natural anymore, and then we get to "what's the point" ... I cannot immerse in Jet anymore. There's too much mental overhead that has nothing to do with the story.

4. When I said END SESSION? That's when Jet should have walked out into the breeze, ignoring everyone. The only thing that makes sense. You pulled me into the audition scene and I tried, but as soon as I got rolling (thank you SO MUCH Paul) I was criticized again.

It's just not fun anymore.