[Blades] Table Chatter

2»

Comments

• Let's just go with Shadow Guild Leader. We can always change if needs must.

I say cult as cover is also an income and rumor/lead source. Say we have some gullible rich folk in the fold. So we gotta play it safe because the mark is a True Believer!
  • Veil: Skinner

Skinner is: woman, cunning, stern.
  • edited June 2014
    Claude is the face of our "cult". He maintains our meeting-space, ritual supplies, library and the well of eyes. He is open and calm while not working but all serious when the lights are on him.

• UPDATES:

Almost done here, guys!

Needed:
    * Choose Guild Leader:
    Shadow was nominated and seconded, but I am confused. What does that mean? Shadow is an attribute which has three "faces" (NPCs) under it. So... who is the Guild leader then?
    On chat, Skinner was suggested, and that sounds cool to me. But this is your Guild. Any objections?
  • edited June 2014
    I'm too much of a Bond nerd and general Dench fan not to go with Skinner.
  • Chris, I love Claude! Source?
  • Skinner. Let's do it.
  • Chris, I love Claude! Source?
    I just did a Google image search for something like "weird cultist" so I don't have any info. We almost ended up with a loincloth bedecked south Asian but I liked the ritual accoutrements of this one better.
  • I adjusted this thread to be our table chatter - Out of character thread.

I adjusted the OP to say this:
    This is now the OOC Thread for the Blades PBP game. Please note when you'll be unavailable to post for more than one weekday. Also, this is a great place for "atta boys" or feedback on the game in progress.
  • why does it say "player" over Vauri?
  • edited June 2014
    When I was first scribbling out the PDF's first page with the eraser tool in gimp, it was leaving behind bits of text between my strokes. In a couple places, they seemed cool, so I left them. not meaningful but evocative. I sort of feel like I started looking for that option too late in the process and the piece would be stronger if there were more (or none) of them. I might remake it.

Also, I wonder if everyone here can see it. I shared it with my tabletop group but I'm not absolutely certain who you all are. :)
  • Oh, cool!
  • Thanks for doing that, Chris!
  • Now that I'm not looking on my phone, I see the other text. I like it, now that I see it more clearly.
    When I was first scribbling out the PDF's first page with the eraser tool in gimp, it was leaving behind bits of text between my strokes. In a couple places, they seemed cool, so I left them. not meaningful but evocative. I sort of feel like I started looking for that option too late in the process and the piece would be stronger if there were more (or none) of them. I might remake it.

Also, I wonder if everyone here can see it. I shared it with my tabletop group but I'm not absolutely certain who you all are. :)
  • Adam (who plays Phin) is heading on vacation Wednesday, so his PC will be introduced after he returns.
  • Goodness! How'd I leave a PC out. Now I *have* to redo it. (Sorry Adam!)
  • OK, Milos is in the Guild thread.
  • Chris, can you please include your PC's name at the top of your posts? It help me immensely, particularly when there's only dialog.

Many thanks!
  • Chris, can you please include your PC's name at the top of your posts? It help me immensely, particularly when there's only dialog.

Many thanks!
    I edited in a header in the last two posts for ya, Chris.
  • hey guys, don't feel like I expect a team = all the PCs. I'm perfectly happy breaking you off into two or three smaller groups. It might actually run faster/smoother that way.
  • edited June 2014
    I'll try to make the header a habit.

The people I named (who just happen to be all the PCs) all have valuable skills for the operation. And since I'm not sure how this game works, it felt safer to grab everyone. If some of them are busy elsewise, I'll have to make do with fewer. Also, I wasn't sure how the NPCs tie into this sort of thing, but I guess it's always safe to lead with the fiction.
  • Fair point, Chris. We can roll with all PCs, see how it plays.
  • Along with the issue of the named header, what about bolded dialog? That feels weird to me, but several of you (I dunno, maybe everyone but me) is doing that. Should I just adopt that too? Is it helpful?
  • I picked that up from Scott, and it helps me pick out what "everyone hears" versus internal dialog and flavor text (easier for scanning back on posts, too). I won't tell you how to post, but I am in a habit of doing it myself. I also like to use colored text for certain NPCs or NPC types.

Is it actually bothersome, or just weird, Chris?
  • I picked it up from them, too- Bolded dialog helps me when I'm reading what my PC "hears" and should respond to. It's also nice that it stands out on the page.
  • edited June 2014
    I wouldn't call it out as bothersome, because, like you, I don't want to tell people how to post. But I guess, since you're asking, it is a little. Like, my head is all wired up to think of e.g. italics and underlines and bold text as indicating sorts of emphases. And double-quotes to indicate dialog. So it's entirely possible that bolding dialog is an actually superior practice that I'm just sufficiently programmed against that it takes me extra time to parse. But if it's useful, I should give it an honest try.
  • Okay, Chris. I'll stay the course. If after a bit, it is still bothering you, let me know.
  • I'll get used to it, I'm sure.
  • Hey Chris, I moved your question over here. Let's keep the out-of-character rules questions in this thread.
    Rich, I'm not clear on whether we're supposed to tell you the plan right up front for the roll or if we're supposed to negotiate for a better roll first by manipulating the world. Like, can we scene to establish that we have some dirt on Madam Tesslyn, thus making our guild roll easier or is it always as you described. (Also, I only just discovered that we'd advanced to a new version so I'm watching for differences.)
    Based on my read of Turf War, you tell me the plan for the roll. From page 9 of the doc:

"To seize a claim, detail how you’ll go about it and roll Steel or Shadow. The GM will choose which core roll you’ll make based on the details of the fiction, as usual, especially considering the resistance level of the claim compared to the level of talents you bring to bear."

I'm sure we could do some scenes around investigating the brothel more, but since I gave you the Steel and Shadow ratings up front, why don't you add some details on "what you know" and then explain the plan (Without too much back and forth between PCs or we'll be at this for days). Then I'll say which stat to roll and what kind of roll it is (of the three). The results of that roll will set up where we jump into a scene.

Does that make any more sense? I'm open to suggestions within the parameters of the rules as much as possible.
  • After some discussion with a few of y'all on the G+, it seems I misled you.

Technically, there is no mechanical Guild Leader. There is a leader for each of the Guild Abilities (Steel, Shadow, Gloom, Fate). If it is an NPC in that role, that's a 1. If a PC fills it with a better Ability, that counts there.
  • Mischa made a good suggestion that we log some of our playtest questions / feedback.

I opened a GDoc spreadsheet here
  • I'm not sure how much plan to come up with. Or how much back-and-forth to work toward. Hopefully what I posted is appropriate.
  • I think that's great, Chris. I agree it's a weird space, knowing how much detail to add, how much you're setting up your own obstacles.

Based on what you wrote, I would say this is a Shadow move for the Claim. Which means you guys would roll the Guild rating of 3 six-sided dice. Since you've got a rating of 3 and the rating of the Shadow for that Claim is 2, I would call it a Risky Move

A Risky Move
    6: Full success. 4/5: Success with a cost (harm, stress, time, etc.). 1-3: Failure. The GM will offer you a choice between two worse outcomes.

If there are objections from other members of the team, they should say so, and we can adjust. Without objections, since Ring is the leader of the action, I'd say "Ring, go ahead and roll the Guild's Shadow as a Risky Move".

Then, we'd see the results, and I'd set up a new scene for the Guild members in that move, probably in media res, and we'd go from there.

How does that sound to everyone?
  • Can you confirm why it's three six-sided dice for this Shadow move? Because we have Network-1 Security-1 Veil-1 as Shadow Talents?
  • The Shadow Ability is the number of talents underneath it. So, those three talents are why Shadow is 3. That's how it works for PCs, so I am pretty sure that's how it works for the Guild.

Anyone have a different read?
  • Why might a character begin with vice in a non-content state? I think there must be a bit of rules that I missed and have continued to miss.
  • Why might a character begin with vice in a non-content state? I think there must be a bit of rules that I missed and have continued to miss.
    In a previous version, you could have a vice at "desperate", and it would actually give you +1 die in a Desperate Maneuver. That's the only reason I could think of, unless you're some drama queen. :P

• So, there's been some conversation about how our little happy gang refers to itself, especially to outsiders. We previously came up with "the Fellowship of the Seven Eyes" as our cover name, and it's been proposed (through a process of shortening and elimination) that we refer to ourselves to outsiders as "Eyes." As in, instead of "...the Eyes will help you," it's "Eyes will help you." It's got a creepy vibe that seems appropriate. Thoughts?
  • Eyes seems good for the cult. Not sure about the Guild itself.
  • I like it. Does a guild even need a name? Since we have this public cover, it seems natural that we'd only use that. I guess those of us who are insiders could be Inner Eyes or something.
  • Irises?
  • Don't mess with him, man, he's Retina!
  • So, I'm proposing the following as an example of what Frog's Channel talent might look like on a success. He's also got Tempest, so I took that into account as flavor.

I begin whispering syllables that sound like a cross between wind and the hooting of owls in the distance, focusing my attention on the door. Tendrils of mist drip from the sleeves of my coat, across my hands, and pool on the floor. The strands of mist move through the gap at the bottom of the cheaply made door, questing for the rifleman. I imagine him standing in the center of the room, uncertain whether we are coming for him, considering a move for the window. I imagine the mist reaching out for his wrists, his ankles. He is bound, and the rest of the mist flows into his mouth, silencing a scream and replacing the breath in his lungs.
  • From my POV, I love this. It's creepy and personal.

Any have concerns?
  • Nice and creepy. Suggest you not use "imagine" but something else?
  • "envision"

"picture"

"will" - I will him to be standing....
  • Agreed about "imagine." I'll make it stronger before posting, assuming I do.
  • Go for it, Paul
  • Rich, do the Teamwork rules apply to the roll I'm about to make or is that already rolled into your making it an easy roll?
  • Let's try out the teamwork rules, just because. I made it a controlled move without consideration for teamwork.
  • OK, so Frog is described as helping with Channel, maybe?

"This may improve their position (giving them +1d or a better roll type), increase the effect of their action, or add an additional effect."

Who decides that?
  • More Tempest than Channel, but either way.
  • I think GM would. Why don't we add an additional effect.
  • Not sure how Vauri can best help. Alchemy, maybe?
  • One help, one back-up.
  • Hm. If we're trying out the system, maybe bump down to a Risky Move to see the effects of help and backup?
  • Sure. Why not? I'll edit my post.
  • With the additional effect, do we pre-negotiate that because it flows from the fiction? That's how it seems it should work. Like maybe in this case, we can get the ritual over with (win or lose) quickly so we can bolt from the building before being fingered for arson. Is that an "additional effect"?
  • Let's try pre-negotiating this time, see how it feels.
  • So I'm not sure what's supposed to be happening. Are we negotiating (silently) or waiting for me to roll or something else?
  • OK, good question, Chris. I answered in the IC thread. Hopefully, it's clearer now. If not, let me know.
  • re jobs:

Even after watching it happen elsewhere in the game I'm not really certain I grok how the mechanical/systemic elements are supposed to tie to the fiction. Are we just inserting in-narrative circumstances that we've heard of (off-camera) previously?

Also, what's up with the blank sections on the various job-related tables?
  • edited June 2014
    Chris, I think none of us fully grok how it ties in. But I think yes, we are inserting in-narrative off-camera stuff.

The blank sections just haven't been written yet, to judge from previous releases. :)
  • OK, loot in Milos' job. The item I'm looking at snagging for myself is a pair of spirit-goggles (see Ghost Lines). Too lux for a straight burglary job?
  • What are Spirit Goggles? How do they transfer to the Asset quality? (Poor, Adequate, etc)
  • They're rail bull equipment that enable the wearer to see any ghosts. Given their specialized nature, I'd say "Fine".
  • With the spirit goggles, I'm primarily concerned about any overlap with Frog. What are your thoughts, @WPTunes?
  • Sight is one of Frog's things. I guess I don't mind the overlap, but we do have it covered within the group.
  • Fair enough. Redundancy, or something like other equipment. Electrical hook, spirit jar...

Something associated with the bulls would draw Milos' eye, and prove useful.
  • edited June 2014
    So, as far as dice games in the world, I'm thinking Milos goes mostly for Hazard (same as the English game:Hazard ) and a Bull's game modified from an original Skovlan game-- Hook and Anchor (same as Crown Anchor
  • edited June 2014
    Chris, we should hash out what kind of potion Ring and Vauri made- I'm thinking some kind of sleep/hypnotic thing?
  • You said earlier something to make them suggestible, yes?
  • Ring said:

"Perhaps we could whip up a decoction that, delivered into their drinks, would bend their will and make them our own. I believe I could generate such a powder though getting it into their bodies is not my specialty..."
  • @clweeks, any chance you can get into the Hangout away from work?
  • We have 10 coin right now guys. We should consider spending to advance the guild a little.

To add a talent we need to fill up the advancement clocks next to that stat. It's 2 coin per block.

To add an asset level we need to fill up the adv clock by paying coin = to the level of assets. So currently 2 per.

Certainly we can hold back until we have more, but just saying.
  • I'd lean to improving our assets first. If we gain a new talent, presumably, we gain a new NPC to reflect that? What happens if we just increase an existing talent? Is that worked into the fiction?
  • Sorry I was away so long.

I was assuming we would make something that caused them to be programmable and then we would use that state to turn them. That seems like a hypnotic (or dissociated hypnopompic, or something) effect.

And I'm not sure what you were asking about the Hangout. Was there one?
  • And I'm not sure what you were asking about the Hangout. Was there one?
    Yes, I invited you to it when we first started the game, Chris. It's an ongoing text-bases Google Hangout. Used to be GChat. I thought your work firewall blocked it perhaps?
  • I'd be cool with either asset or talent, but agree that we should spend something to start pulling ourselves up in the world.
  • We've already completed this week'd Fortunes and Income roll in the V&V thread.

Should we roll forward into a new week with Ring, Frog and Milos and do some more Upkeep, Fortunes and Income, or should I set up a new Job in that week?
  • I think we need to do end-of-session character and then guild improvement, then we can roll forward with start-of-session jobs with Skinner? Maybe some cult stuff?
  • hey guys, I'm heading out of town for the July 4th holiday. I'm going to put the game on hold until Sunday night. Sorry for the late notice!
  • Hello, I move we spend Coin on Bravos to bump it up one notch. I think we have like 10 and raising it a level is 8? Someone please confirm my understanding.

Due to the vagaries of PBP, I am asking for two more "yea" votes to proceed. One "nay" means you gotta counter propose.
  • edited July 2014
    I'm lost.

I don't know how to make this game work, and I'm not having a bunch of fun running it.

I love the characters. I like the world we've made. I don't know how to make stories or challenges happen.

I either need help, or I need to stop running the game, and move on.
  • I've re-read the rules, and I'm running into the same roadblocks you've been describing. Definitely something that needs to be addressed in the play report. Any thoughts on a system with which you're comfortable to translate the characters over and keep going?

But then, how many games are you running right now? Need a break? Love playing with you, but nobody would fault you if you need to trim the fat for a bit. Or, you know, we could move to another game ;).
  • I agree. Whatever system propels us from one scene (or job) to the next doesn't seem to be there. I also feel super reactive instead of proactive because of not really grokking what's supposed to go down.

I want to play this when it's a complete game.
  • The more I think about it, the more this seems to be the case: the rules as they currently stand are substantially more of a traditional RPG framework than maybe we're used to seeing from the mighty One-Seven. That is, they handle the crunch, give a good feel for the kind of world we're occupying, but do little in the way of creating cohesive fiction.
  • John Harper just posted this to the G+ Community today

"Quick Update!

Since my exciting development day a few weeks ago, I've been experimenting with all kinds of stuff, both on paper and with my local group. It's been this long, wide orbit of messing around in the asteroid belt of the game, and, wouldn't you know it, the trajectory has leveled out and I'm headed right back to good ol' Terra.

So, some changes are coming, but the game isn't going to be quite as different as I first thought. Overall, a bit simpler. A bit easier on the GM. It's settling back into place."

I'm going to wait on the update, take a look, and see if it kicks me into gear.
  • Fingers are crossed!