[Junk XIII] A Hard Drop (K 2-3, S 2-3)

edited October 2013 in Junkworld XIII
Stitch,

You decide that discretion is the better part of valor or somesuch and head out of Chedd's Part Tent. You're walking across the courtyard, winding around smaller tents towards your caravan's trucks. There are people outside of a few tents, too poor to afford the luxuries of Chedd's, unable to get inside Trench. They're huddles around small fires, talking quietly in the night.

One guy is telling a campfire story you've heard before. Well, not around a campfire, he's retelling a movie's plot, acting it out. Doing pretty decent impressions of the main characters, acting out their movements in uncanny ways from that old picture that you've seen a few times. What's the movie?

It's almost enough to distract you from seeing something along the wall. In a place where the firelight misses, by a tent, you're just close enough, there's just enough moons-light to see a form at the top of the inner wall. Moving down. A small form, maybe four and a half feet tall, coming down a rope. It was the grunt of effort, hissed through clenched teeth that drew your attention.

Then. Then it falls. Maybe a few meters, lands oddly, there's a crunch, a whimper of quiet pain, even now, she is trying to stay quiet. Yes, "she", it's a little girl.

What do you do?

Comments

• Heh, he's actually acting out Scott Pilgrim- awesome!

I look around to see if any guards heard or saw her- then I go over to her, and check her out.
  • Stitch, it looks clear. You head over and the girl, she's feebly trying to crawl. Her left arm broke in the fall, looks like. She has defensive wounds on her right arm, some ind of blade or something. She has a gun at one point, evidenced by the empty holster on her belt. A knife, too, but that fell with her, landed a meter away, you see it, slick with blood, standing on end in the caked dirt. She also has a cut across her little tummy, blood's soaked her pants. In the moons-light, you see her face, she looks like this:

She's delirious with pain, hasn't even registered that you're standing over her. All it seems she's concentrating on is slowly crawling away, moving as quiet as she can manage.

She probably won't make it another five meters.

What do you do?
  • I rush over and lay my hands on her.

OOC: Healing touch incoming.
  • OOC: Healing touch. Roll+weird. +1xp rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 1, 5. Total: 8)
  • OOC: Acting under fire. Roll+sharp (Good in the clinch).
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 6. Total: 13)
  • Stitch,

You lay hands on this tiny girl, and realize that where most girls her age, which is about twelve, would still have some baby fat perhaps. But not this one, her body is rip-cord tight, lean muscle. The arm resets in your hands and for a second, when the strength returns to her and the pain subsides, she curls the fingers of that hand around yours, and there's a moment between you.

You get images from this girl, memories. Memories of her mother and father, one a killer, the other like you, a healer. You see her, as a child, learning how to shoot, how to fight with a knife, learning hand to hand, it's serious. No musical montage drek, this girl was trained hard at a very young age. All under the watchful eye of her protective mother. Fox. Her mother's name was Fox.

This is Sapphire.

And she's starting to come to.

What do you do?

Since you opened your Brain with that Weird roll, I get a question.
    So tell me Stitch, have you ever wanted kids?
  • I did want kids, right up until the time Ethan got me pregnant on accident. I'd been living in a dream world- of course when I realized what sort of world the kid would really come into... no. I couldn't do that.

And then the choice had been made for me.

"Sapphire. I'm Stitch. I'm here to help." I whisper to her, tenderly. "We need to move."
  • When you say her name, that helps her focus. Her bleary eyes turn hard, and her slack face tightens, even her mouth draws into a thin line. She says in a harsh whisper, "Yeah, they're coming." She glances over to the ground, finds her dagger and pushes herself up enough to stagger over to it. She's not dying, but the girl needs to rest, she should not be standing up or moving.

You see her use the wall to stand all the way up, her back to you, "Thanks for your help, Stitch. See you around."
  • "Where are you going? You need to rest." I whisper insistently at her.

OOC: Read a person incoming.
  • OOC: Read Sapphire. Roll+sharp.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 4, 1. Total: 7)
  • "Where are you going?" I ask. OOC: What does your character intend to do?
  • She's leaning against the wall still, clearing cobwebs as you question her. Finally, she says, "I'm leaving this place before they catch me, Stitch."

Sapphire intends to get out of this courtyard and kill anyone who gets in her way. That's what she intends. She's also pretty damn sure she's not going to make it, but well, its not like she's got anybody else to count on. You get this free of charge, Stitch. Any "offer of help" that doesn't come with a price tag, she doesn't trust it. Everything has a cost in her world.
  • "Oh." I say. Well fine. If she's in that much of a hurry, frak her. Not like I saved her life or anything...

I hurry back to the trucks, wiping the blood on my hands onto the dirt.
  • You get about five steps away when you hear a quiet voice. "Stitch," she whispers, "Do you have a tent? I will pay you. I can't... I can't walk so good."
  • We've got a tent, but I'm not sure if bringing her back there is a good idea.

OOC: Read a sitch incoming.
  • OOC: Read a sitch. Roll+sharp.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 5, 4. Total: 11)
  • OOC: Sweet. (with my +1forward that's 12)
    * What should I be on the lookout for?
    * What is the best way past the guards?
    * Which enemy is the biggest threat?
  • You should be on the lookout for the town guards, not the gate guards. You can hear them moving towards the gate now, sweeping the streets in quick, effective patterns. They're well armed and well trained, and they do not frak around.

The best way past the guards? It is hiding in the tents. They will inquire outside to be let in, but Kodak is already on the outs with them, you or Kiddo can talk him into refusing them entry. The exterior gate is pretty well defended, so you're not getting this girl past them. Of course, the BEST way past the guards is to raise an alarm and turn this little girl in. You might even get a reward.

The biggest threat right now? The town guards, most definitely. They will shoot this girl on sight.
  • "I've got a tent. Tell me why I should let you in it- and not just for jingle." I still don't know who she is or whether I should risk me and mine for her. I'm less concerned about what kind of money she'd pay and more about the potential danger she'd bring with her. Turning her in might get Kiddo and me inside the city, but I can't do that to a little girl. Of course, she is no ordinary little girl- I'm sure of that.
  • Sapphire turns to face you, still keeping the tips of her fingers against the wall. She looks at you for a moment, you see her mouth twitch in the faint moons-light, "I don't... I don't want to die. If they catch me, I'm dead, Stitch...." She licks her lips, swallows, the admission seeming to give her desperation a voice, "Two jingle, ok? That's all I've got here. It's outside, with the rest of my gunna.... please."

You hear the gate opening, some lights are coming on, including a big bright one, like a searchlight. Someone, a woman, is barking orders to a few people by the gate, organizing them.

If you actually do want to help hide this girl, Act Under Fire.

If you decide to let her pay for whatever she's done to the folks in town, then just stand here. They're coming.

What do you do?
  • OOC: Act Under Fire.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 3, 6. Total: 11)
  • I hesitate for a moment but when I see the searchlight, I reach out my hand for hers. "This way." I whisper.

I lead us back to the tent as stealthily as I can.
  • Sapphire hesitates for just a second, like human touch scares her or something, but she grabs your hand and you guide her to the big tent where the crew is staying. The semi-permanent plywood walls offer some privacy, but you can hear snoring from the trucker tent. Svenja is sitting up in her bunk and she sees you and little Sapphire pass by. Sapphire has pulled off the sweater she was wearing and wrapped it around her tummy to hide most of the blood. She's worn thin from this.

Your "room" is at the southeast corner of the pavilion tent. There's a plastic cooler with some food, not much, a worn couch and a mattress. The floor is haphazard layers of wood covered by carpets. You have a small wash basin and a jug of water.

If you don't stop her, Sapphire will head for the couch, and half-sit, half-lay on it. You caught her scanning the room for exits, maybe for weapons.

What do you do?
  • "On the bed." I instruct her. I put the jug of water next to the bed. "I'm going to clean you up, but first I've got to talk to Kodak to make sure the guards don't get in. Ok?" I ask her, waiting for a nod.

Once I get her ok, I go out front to talk to Kodak. "Hey, I got a patient. I can toss the jingle your way, but can you keep the guards out of the tent?" I ask him in a hushed voice.
  • Kodak was sleeping lightly with Bank and Motel. He rises quick and comes over. When you tell him about the patient, he says, "Alllright." But he's a little unsure. "If I need to bribe them, I'll let you know. Go, uh, take care of your patient."

When you head back, Svenja is in the hallway. She's dressed in an a-shirt, her dog tags and a pair of comfy boy shorts. She's peering at you curiously, walking behind you, "What's with the girl, doc?"
  • I nod at Kodak's reply.

"She fell. Broke an arm, among other things." I reply quietly. "Said she'd pay me to fix her up."

OOC: Read Svenja incoming.
  • OOC: Read Svenja. Roll+sharp. +1forward used.
    (Rolled: 2d6+3. Rolls: 4, 2. Total: 9)
  • "What do you want, Svenja? I got work to do." I say in a manner-of-fact tone. Not challenging at all, I know better than that, but just- spit it out and be done with it.

OOC: How can I get your character to keep quiet about the girl?
  • "Yeah, yeah, doc. I'm not in the way or shit, alright?" Svenja says as she follows you. I assume you stop at the little entrance to your "room". She stops with you, but she's glancing over your shoulder inside.

Outside, you hear some guards coming up to knock at the makeshift door, Kodak is going to answer it, loudly complaining he's on his way like it just woke him. Svenja drops her voice with yours, "What's the real deal, yo? Are they after her?"

Svenja isn't going to rat on you, Stitch. That isn't her way. She's bored and curious. the only threat Svenja causes is if she makes a fuss about you lying to her and it spooks Sapphire. Tell her what's up, bring her in, she'll chill. Or, bark orders like a sergeant, and she'll skulk away.
  • "Yeah. She says they'll kill her." I answer her.

I stop before we get back into my little room. "She's trained. I don't think she's a threat to us, but she stirred something up and I don't want helping her to come back and bite me in the ass, yeah? Come on in and watch my back." I whisper to Svenja.
  • Svenja nods, like an I got your back nod. She ducks into her room and grabs a pistol, then joins you.

You're already in the room, right? Sapphire is there. She's stripped off her shirt and shorts, dropped her belt and holster, since you said you were going to clean her up. She's sitting with her feet on the floor, on the bed like you instructed. She's in her underwear, which is salt encrusted around the edges, worn and sweat-stained. Her knife is on the bed not far away. She looks like she's about to pass out, but she's fighting it hard. Her arm is bloody, her tummy is still seeping blood.

What do you do?
  • "This is my friend. She's here to make sure you don't kill me when I'm done cleaning you up- I hope you understand." I tell Sapphire. No sense sugarcoating it, right?

I put my medkit on the bed and start taking things out. "Lie down, let me look at your stomach." I tell her. The arm isn't broken anymore and won't be an issue if she dies of blood loss anyway. I pour some water into the basin and dip a pad of gauze in it, wiping away some of the blood.
  • Sapphire stares at Svenja hard for a moment, but Svenja says simply, "Do what the fuck the doc says, little girl. You paid for this, right? Well, chill out and lay down. Don't hurt her, and we cool. Alright?"

She looks in your eyes, Stitch, and for a moment, you see the weakness in her, trying to drag her down, make her rest. And the fear, pushing her to keep going, wanting to run, run away. But she nods, and lays down quietly.

The wound is deep, got some muscle. If she were fat, it might not have done as much damage. I assume you do a thorough examination, right? She seems pliant, finally. She's riddled with scars, been shot four times, old scars on her knuckles from fights the kind of stuff you see on old boxers, really. The cut on her forearm, the defensive wound, that isn't her first one, there are eight other scars there. A number of them on her shins, too. One of her fingers won't close correctly, it never healed right after a break. She's malnourished and sleep deprived.

If she were a stray cat, they would probably put her down.

She closes her eyes as you examine her. After a long silence, she says in a whisper, "My daddy... he was a doctor, too."
  • edited October 2013
    "I'm gonna call you cat, how many lives have you gone through?" I joke with her as I examine the wound. I dab a bit of gel around the wound to dull the pain, but me poking and prodding isn't gonna be pleasant for her. Who is this girl? So young.

"I can do what I did before or I can stitch it up the old fashioned way. The first lets me into your brain, the second won't heal for a good while, and you'll be on bedrest in the meantime. Either can have complications, I'm not perfect. Your choice, girly." I tell her.
  • Her eyes still closed, in a sleepy tone, she says, "The first. It wasn't... so bad."

Svenja has an "oh shit" look for the idea of you looking in someone's brain, but she just keeps her eyes on the door. Speaking of which, those guards, they're getting an earful from Kodak right now. He is not letting them in.
  • I nod at Sapphire and shoot Svenja a look- this is what freaks her out?!? I'd have thought it was like... well, nothing really. She wasn't super excited about the needle they jammed in her before they put us in the iso-cubes, but she just frowned and took it like a soldier.

I lay my hands back on Sapphire's stomach and open my brain...

OOC: Healing Touch incoming.
  • OOC: Healing Touch. Roll+weird. +1xp rolling highlighted.
    (Rolled: 2d6+2. Rolls: 2, 2. Total: 6)
  • edited October 2013
    You feel yourself drawn into her, and as you've learned, you slide along her branches, along her brain wiring. You feel her join you, caught in your wake. You follow along to each wound, each scar, each cut. And there are so many, like trying to follow a single noodle in a bowl of spaghetti, or looking at eight wires plugged into a power strip and figuring out on the first try which one is the one to the computer.

In a word - frustrating. And you follow one, but no, that's the scar on knuckle on her left hand that she got when she hit Hump in the tooth. She'd talked him into "sparring with her" when they were eight. Then another, but that's the scar on her left shin she got when she was training with her mom and a broken eyelet on her mother's boot tore into her shin. And you see Fox standing over her, fighting her motherly instincts to help, forcing herself to stay strong, teach her daughter to be strong. You know that, but Sapphire then, ten year old Sapphire, she didn't see it. Even now, the tag-a-long Sapphire doesn't see it, only sees the disappointment, feels the burning pain, swears at her own self to shut the frak up, to stop crying, to be badass.

You follow dozens of dead-ends, and each time you feel a bit more of that pain, sympathy pain, and Sapphire's brain is hitting a loop, like an echo chamber of the pain and she's wailing in your ears at the pain of years, her whole life. Always trying to live up to her mother's expectations, then exceeding that and striving for some unreachable ideal of what her mother really wants, what she has to do for her mother to really love her.

And it's become nearly unbearable when you see a man, in his late thirties, and he's looming over her. This feels raw, fresh, unprocessed, hasn't been stored away, rationalized into "doing the job" or "being badass" and she's scared. This is Paxo, her target, the one Nehi wanted dead. Necktie dead, for being a sick frakking rat, selling out the Council to his new boss Spanx. Poor Paxo, he doesn't know who she is, and he just wants to frak her, because he likes little girls. It makes her sick, sick and terrified. It makes her want to kill him, makes her ignore the guard in the other room. She was so careless, she just drew her knife, the one she had on the bed with her, and cut his throat, and then with nervous fingers, she's reaching, probing in the wound, digging for the tongue, and she's gasping now feeling inside this man's esophagus for his tongue, and just telling herself quietly thread the needle, just thread the needle, gods, please, just thread the needle.

Then the guard comes rushing in right as she pulls the tongue through the gash in Paxo's throat. She's covered in his blood and the Sapphire tag-a-long is shrieking in your ears to run away, go go go! Its all in your brain and suddenly, the real you, the meat Stitch, you're being pulled away from her. Svenja is pulling you away from Sapphire, who is laying there whimpering softly, tears running down both cheeks, the pillow and mattress wet from her tears. You're awake and your body is sore from tensing for too long, drenched in sweat and tired like you pulled a double shift during residency.

Stitch, I've got some questions for you. But go ahead and read through that, I'll ask them in a moment.
  • Stitch,

Here are your questions!
    Tell Sapphire why you didn't leave her out there for the guards. She heard a few things from you, but I want to know as much as she does.

What was the last thing you said to Ethan?
  • I didn't leave her there because she's a kid. Because she was bleeding. Because of that weak cry of pain she let out. Because when I was pregnant, it was going to be a girl.

The last few weeks with Ethan were great, actually. I didn't tell him I'd signed up for the iso-cube program, so I pretended like everything was fine to run out the clock. He smiled- gods, I hadn't seen him smile in ages, no wonder I'd fallen in love with him. I'd considered leaving a note or something- explaining my cowardice- but it didn't really matter, did it? I found somewhere to run where he couldn't follow.

Ethan thought I was going to work. "Have a good day." I said, kissing him on the cheek. My heart felt like it would explode out of my chest as I walked out of our apartment, towards my freedom.
  • Svenja is talking in your ear, low, "Doc, sorry I put hands on you. You started freakin out. I didn't, ah, know what else to do. What the hell happened?"
  • edited October 2013
    "It's ok." I'm nearly panting. "You did good. I... I got lost in there. Thank you."

I have to stop myself from trying to work on Saphire again. I want to fix it, to sooth her wounds- physical and mental. But she needs rest and I'm too drained to do any more good today.

I go about bandaging the wound. I really should stitch it up first, but I can barely keep my eyes open. She'll be ok for a few hours, especially if she's sleeping. I wipe my hands. I want to snap, to break things. To rage and scream. Instead I sink down on the couch and cry softly. I cry for Sapphire and myself.
  • edited October 2013
    Sapphire has stopped crying, by the way. She slipped into sleep. When you fall into the couch, Svenja doesn't say a word. She looks at you, sees you're spent. She pours some water from the jug into a glass, brings it over to you, offers it. If you don't take it, she just leaves it on the floor by your foot.

Then, she takes a post at the door flap to your "room". All the while, she's watching both of you without, you know, looking right at you.
  • I take the water and force myself to drink it slowly. "Thank you." I say.

I fall asleep.
  • I come running in the tent, and search the rooms for "that girl" — I stop when I reach Stitch's, and whisper, "What the frak is going on in here?"
  • edited October 2013
    Svenja let you in, and she's standing by you. Since they're out, she answers, "Little girl broke her arm, got frakked up by somebody. Guess you heard the guards comin round. Stitch did her thing, but it didn't go so well, and then they both passed out, more or less." Yeah, that's Sapphire laying there, bandaged up, in her skivvies. She looks so little.

"Why don't you grab some z's, boss. I'm not lettin them go anywhere tonight. Cool?"
  • I nod. "Cool. We'll sort this out in the morning."